Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 vs. Lexus IS 250

13»

Comments

• smallpeanut88smallpeanut88 Member Posts: 14
    Pat, please don't make this read only and direct me to a thread that is way outdated, that was from 2006 and2007. This is regarding the 2008 models and I'm asking specifically about nav systems comparisons, that thread isn't - please, I need help and need current 08 drivers expertise, this is important as I'm making my purchase this weekend. Fresh thread for a new year not old year and model. I was excited to finally get a response to see what you had done.

1. Why is the Nav more advanced on Infiniti and not with Lexus? Infiniti comes standard with a backup camera which I really love and downloads your cd’s, Lexus does not do this.
    2. Why doesn’t Lexus have more leg room in the back of the IS ?
    3. How much more gas will I spend on the G vs. the IS per tank of gas approximately
    I’m torn, fell in love with the brand LEXUS and LOOK of the car inside and out but love the bells and whistles and power of the Infiniti plus more leg room in the back.

Thanks.

Peanut in Beverly Hills
    2008 Infiniti G35 or Lexus IS 250 – w/NAV

1. Why is the Nav more advanced on Infiniti and not with Lexus? Infiniti comes standard with a backup camera which I really love and downloads your cd’s, Lexus does not do this.
    2. Why doesn’t Lexus have more leg room in the back of the IS ?
    3. How much more gas will I spend on the G vs. the IS per tank of gas approximately
    I’m torn, fell in love with the brand LEXUS and LOOK of the car inside and out but love the bells and whistles and power of the Infiniti plus more leg room in the back.

Thanks.

Peanut in Beverly Hills
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I think I can help with this. I bought the 2007 IS250AWD, sold it a couple of weeks ago and got the 08 G35X

In respect of the navi, here are my thoughts:

-The picture resolution of the IS is better than the G, especially on the backup camera
    -The birds eye view in the G is great, the IS has nothing similar to this
    -The search by point of interest name and phone number function in the IS yields better results than the G
    -The voice recognition in the G is much better than the IS
    -The G has the CF slot, the music box and comes stnd with XM
    -The ipod connection on the G is ahead of almost all of the ELLPS, it is simply awesome, it transfers control of the ipod to your car and the ipod screen is transferred to the Navi screen. The IS does not have this.

In respect of the leg room at the back, I cant answer why Lexus has less leg room back there. What I can say is we had a new arrival and the rear facing car seat was squeezed back there, the G certainly offers more room (however I had other reasons for dropping the IS, the rear seat room was not the main reason)

On the gas issue, its safe to say you will spend more gas money on the G than the IS, depending on your mileage, probably +$500 a year. However, you cant compare fuel consumption for a 2.5l to a 3.5l.
    Wow, thank you so much - very good information. Both have pro's and con's which makes the decision difficult.

Thank you and thanks Pat for letting me have this new thread.

I was DEAD set on the Lexus IS 250 – if you survey most peeps who have not driven either (especially the females which I am) they all say get the white lexus – just has a nice ring to it. I then tell them have you test driven the G and they say no. Lexus has done a brilliant job w/marketing. I only test drove the G to make my BF happy, he said I should compare all cars to really know and not go by marketing. I was like “fine” and stubborn as I knew what I wanted, drove it and thought “great” now I’m confused. It was fun and I’m honestly not big on engines or speed at all. It wasn’t the speed it was the way the car handled, seemed the IS was tight in the steering wheel not as easy to turn, almost like a brand new pair of sneakers that need breaking in – not sure if that is in my head but that is what it felt like. I loved the car and at the time I drove the car power was not a factor. I am currently driving a convertible Toyota solara and the gas mileage is 18 in the city, comparable to the G so I don’t think I’ll notice much of a difference. Although here in CA gas is nearly 4 bucks a gallon right now, cost me 54 to fill up the convertible, ouch! I still flip back to the luxury of the lexus and face it, its got a nice ring to it. I’m 90% sure I’ll go with the G, its hard when you make a firm decision and then get thrown off 
    Additionally, I do not think the reverse camera is a standard option on the IS so the resolution of nothing is not very good :) that was another selling factor on the G.
    I think you are getting a far better car with the G than the IS250, I can understand why you were confused initially, it took me 6 months to let go of the IS but the power thing really started getting to me. I have always said, if you are going to spend +35k on a car, better make sure it has everything that cars worth less than that have. The G certainly passes that test in luxury, performance and toys (music box, ipod interface, CF card, the lines that come up in the rear view camera, looks etc), unfortunately the IS is above average in fit and finish and some toys, but is lacking, seriously lacking on performance. I have no regrets about selling the IS250,

My wife was also refusing to get the G cos she wanted the Lexus brand, after driving and looking closely at the G, she changed her mind within a day.
  • psunowpsunow Member Posts: 19
    Two of us at my work looked hard at both the G and 250. He bought the 250 and I bought the G. After a few months, he felt he made the wrong choice as he has difficulty fitting his kids in the back seat. Also, he complained the 250 does not have close to the pickup and handling (his words, not mine) compared to the G. He can’t trade it in as it’s under a year old and he will lose his pants. Just a thought I would share this with the group.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    To me, in terms of value,performance and standard options, G35 and IS250, there
    isn't much of a competition other than Price. G35 is a closer comparison to IS350,not IS250!

Typically equipped G35 and IS250 would be $35 to $38K
    IS350 will cost $5k or more than G35.

IS250 is better if you like smaller car,slightly better gas mileage,don't mind a not so
    great performance(slow and soso handling).And Lexus name recognition.

To me, buying G35 is like getting 95% of BMW335 performance and have enough
    luxury and have much more room than IS350 OR BMW335.

And if you are considering Dealer Service for maintenance, typically Inifiniti will be
    slightly lower than Lexus. Also, some Nissan dealers will do typical maintenance
    on Infiniti cars for less money.

Once you get the taste of sweet G35 engine, you won't want to have 2.5 V6
    engine. ;)

Good Luck.
    Thank you and thanks to everyone. Yeah, I know I'm stuck on the Lexus Brand. I'm 99% positive it will be the G35, more bang all the way around for the buck. I found it surprising my insurance, the G35 was LESS than the IS 250. I thought for sure, bigger engine meant higher premiums. My insurance gal said the Lexus cost more to fix and that is what they based it on NOT the engine size.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I was torn between the IS250 AWD and the G35x as well.
    Ya, the Lexus is a beautiful vehicle but the beauty can only go so far.

If you enjoy driving a car with performance and luxury in mind, drive both and you'll see that the G is WAY more car for the buck.
    If you don't care much for performance and just want a small luxurious ride, the IS may be enough for you.
    It wasn't for me. ;)
    Thanks everyone. A few more questions. Can I put regular unleaded in the G 35 or does it have to be premium? Does the moonroof for 2008 come standard and if it does not I noticed on the Infiniti web site when I tried to put the moonroof with the wood package it would only let me have one or the other. Can't I get my G with wood package, moonroof and nav? Thanks.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Can't I get my G with wood package, moonroof and nav?

I think you have to have Premium package in order to have Nav. Most of the G has the moonroof as an extra option if you don't want Premium.
  • newgsnewgs Member Posts: 29
    smallpeanut,
    Infiniti recommends Premium. I have always used Prem on my 07 G35 Journey sedan (same as 08). Moonroof is part of the premium package; it is standard on the IS250. You mentioned about the rearview camera... it is part of the Navi package as already mentioned by somebody here already. The Journey model, premium package, and Navi package all add up to the cost of the base G35 sedan. You should get some nice discount though.

I like the IS250, as well. My friend has it and it is very zippy... and in my opinion, is easier to drive than the G. The G has more horsepower though and makes this sudden surge/thrust coupled with nice "growling" sound when you accelerate. It zooms from there.

You need to test drive both and feel for yourself which will suit your driving style more.
    Thanks. Even though they recommend Premium can i use regular? I have heard that premium is that much better than unleaded and not to throw my $$ away.

I test drove the IS 250 several weeks ago. I was very impressed with the interior/exterior and attention to "detail" in that car i.e. air conditioned seats, the way the holders on the door popped out, standard wood package but when I drove it and the guy said "so how does it feel" I was thinking but did not say that my toyota solara convertible seemed to have more get up and go then that car and the drive was okay but did not wow me. Again, I an not one for SPEED but the way the car handles. I test drove the G35 to make my BF happy (keeping an open mind) and when I drove it I wanted to keep driving :) and I wasn't going fast, just the way the car handled, so easy, the steering wheel turned like butter whereas the IS 250 seemed tigher to move.

Thanks. :)
  • newgsnewgs Member Posts: 29
    Here's from the Infiniti manual...Infiniti recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 93 AKI (Anti-knock Index) number. If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI but you may notice a decrease in performance".

So, it is okay to use regular unleaded. Other experts back this up saying the use of regular unleaded gas' trade-off is just a slight decrease in performance.

Infiniti further added..."Octane Rating Tips: Using unleaded gas with octane rating lower than recommended baove can cause persistent, heavy, spark knock. (Spark knock is a metallic rapping noise.) If this is severe, this can lead to engine damage. If you detect persistent, heavy, spark knock (even when using Prem gas), which Infiniti terms misuse of the vehicle, the car must be checked by the Infiniti dealer for correction to ensure you maintain car's warranty coverage.

It is really up to the driver what gas to use after considering the above. I have always used Premium in my case (about $.20 difference per). And this is where the G35 will hurt you a bit more. EPA estimated fuel economy of 17/24 (city/highway) is lower than the IS250. :cry:
    Infiniti forums in other sites can give more details on owners' real-world experiences.
    Please don't take this the wrong way...

There's nothing worse than a person who spends $35,000-$40,000 on a performance sedan and then complains about the extra $500 per year needed for the required premium fuel.
    Yes, gas prices are a complete rip-off but if fuel costs are your highest concern, the G is not the ride for you.

With that said, I get 22-27 city-highway when I'm behaving. Don't expect much better than that with the IS either.
    smallpeanut, I have read your posts and fuel efficiency seems to be a big issue for you. I also read that you do a lot of city driving. I have read on a lot of posts, there are even some on edmunds.com and g35driver.com, fuel efficiency for the G is going to suck for you, especially in city driving. My car has 1000 miles on it and I am on 17 mpg combined city/highway driving. I would say this is pretty much what the majority of the G drivers out there are getting, +/- 2mpg. There are exceptions, scott123 is one of them but please read the posts and judge for yourself. My advise, if fuel efficiency is a big deal for you, and speed is not an issue, really consider the IS250. In my case, fuel efficiency was not an issue and I wanted power and the G was for me. Make sure you read the posts I referred to. If you do decide to get the G, look at the posts on the buying experiences of others on edmunds as well, so you can get a good deal.
    I'll be the first to admit that my mileage is high due to the types of roads I commute on and not my style of driving.
    I drive hard but I do not fit into the exact definition of "City" driving.
    I'm not stop and go between red lights every block.

I'd say I fit more into the Country/Highway category... if there was one.

City driving, the G stinks.... yours, mine, and every other. ;)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Use the premium. There's usually no more than a 30 cent per gallon additional charge and it's often 20 in my part of the country.

Let's say you only get 15 mpg (you should do quite a bit better) and drive 15,000 miles per year (probably you drive less). That's 1000 gallons per year, so at most you're paying $300 more to put the proper fuel in your luxury vehicle. If you get more than 15 mpg (highly likely) and drive less than 15K miles per year (also probable), you'll be spending even less extra. Your engine is clever enough to retard the timing when it gets less than premium fuel (under acceleration), which lowers the fuel mileage when you use 87 octane, reducing the delta even more.

When regular was 35 cents a gallon (yes, I am that old) and premium was 45 cents (there were only two grades), the delta represented a significant percentage. Nowadays, not so much.

Give the G what it needs, or look at different cars. My TSX gets well over 30 mpg routinely, or you could go whole-hog and get a Pious.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    You are one of the lucky ones I wish I can get 20mpg combined driving once my car is broken in

LOL
    Thanks everyone; yes I am silly to complain or ask such detailed questions about the gas mileage when I’m spending that kind of $$$ on a car – guilty as charged! I am an ‘overnalyzer’ ha!

So thanks for answering either way. I negotiated my car Sunday and picked it up today! 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Woo – hoo! It’s a cute car and fun to drive, I don’t even realize I’m going 80 on the freeway, thank goodness for cruise control. It’s fully loaded, white exterior, stone interior with the wood package, nav, Bluetooth, moon roof – everything. One nice detail I like is that you can SET IN MEMORY your seat and steering wheel position. For example, let’s say I go to get my car washed, now my seats are all moved around – I hit this button and it restores it back to MY SETTINGS! It’s those “little details” I really love, that is why I was impressed with the details in the IS 250 as well.

Not used to a navigation system so it’s hard not relying on a printed out MapQuest (old school) vs. relying on this device to tell me where to go. I’m liking it though. It’s like the blackberry, didn’t want one, refused, once I got it I can’t live w/out it, ha!

Catch you on the freeway!
    Peanut

:shades:
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    Congratulations on your new G35!

It's difficult, but first 1200 miles try not to exceed 4000 RPM and drive more than
    65 MPH. After that, show time!

After a proper engine break-in period, you will enjoy your car even more. ;)
    Dont use the cruise contol till your G is broken in. Its in the manual.

I have the same car as you, color exterior, interior, wood trim, just that mine is a G35x. Thats the best color combination right, the car is definietely a sport car but appears to have the elegance of a higher priced car ;)
  • armaniusarmanius Member Posts: 6
    Congrats smallpeanuts on the new G35. I am picking up my new G35 6MT (graphite platinum exterior with black interior) with premium, navigation and tech packages on Friday. I also made the IS250 v. G35 comparison for about two weeks. Test drove both cars several times. The IS250 has a more refined interior with nicer looking and feeling leather. The IS250 manual transmission was also easier to engage. However, in my opinion, the G35 is better in everything else. It handles better, it's faster, and it has more bells and whistles. Great minds think alike!
    I have not used the cruise control yet – what does the manual say and why is it bad? Good to know and thanks! Yes, I will try to not go over 65 miles for a while. As I said, I’m not used to that kind of power and didn’t realize I was going 80 until I looked down.

Hey, the odometer has trip A highlighted. How do I switch to the main odometer with the current miles and toggle between trip A, B and main? Haven’t figured out that feature yet.

I have to say I like the body style better on the G35, its got a sportier look than the IS250 but the IS250 INSIDE did a better job with the “details” such as air conditioned seats and wood package coming standard as the last poster mentioned and agree ‘great minds’ - thanks.

Loving the car though, now I look forward to driving and wow I love the hands free blue tooth for the phone, had no idea I would enjoy it so much. Great sound too! Love the IPOD feature, so great. Did any of you buy the XM once your 3 months was up? I haven’t even listened to it yet, so many other choices. Hopefully I will as I only get it for 3 months (the trial). Might come in handy for traffic alerts.
    :lemon:
    Okay, let's take these in order... ;)

Cruise Control is not recommended during the breaking period because it's not good to leave the engine running at one RPM for too long. It's better to vary the speed and/or RPMs during the 1,200 mile break-in. You should also avoid hard starts and stops and short trips as well.

Your "tripometer" can be flipped from A to B by tapping the TRIP/RESET button, which is located on the left side of the gauge cluster. It's sorta out of view when sitting in the driver's seat, so you'll need to look for it. If you give it a quick push, it flips from trip A to B. If you hold it down, it resets the trip back to 0 miles.

I also wish the G had the vented seats from the IS and I also loved the IS's interior, but I actually like the wood trim in the G better than in the IS. The wood in the Lexus is real Bird's Eye Maple, but it has so many layers of protective lacquer on it that it may as well be plastic. The wood in my G is real Rosewood and by look and feel, you know right away that it's 100% real wood. I like that.

I did end up canceling my Sirius subscription and went with a year of XM. One thing to know though is that when your trial time is almost up, they will send you a reminder to buy a subscription. I threw mine away because I knew a better offer would be coming. The next offer came about a month later and offered 3 months free off a 1 year subscription. I tossed that too. A month later, I got a 50% off coupon from XM, which I used... so I got a year for half off. If you hold out, the price gets better!

Enjoy the G!
    Thanks man, this is very good information on the XM deals. I must say I am enjoying the free XM though.

I agree with you on the wood trim as well, the G's is pretty cool.
    Yes, I got the wood package too (I had the dealer throw that in for free since my BF bought a coupe G37 the week before I bought mine)! ;)

I'd have to go back and look at the Lexus as far as the shine quality on their wood package. It was a month ago I test drove and don't remember it that well. I love mine in the G, it gives it that "luxury" feeling I was wanting inside. Good to know, thanks.

Also, thank you about the XM - I sent this info to my BF so he knows, wow, half a year for free, that is sweet!

Dawn
    I'd have to go back and look at the Lexus as far as the shine quality on their wood package.">

You can fault the IS250 for lack of power and maybe a small interior but thats where it pretty much ends. IMO no other ELLPS come close to this car in fit and finish (both interior and exterior ) and the quality of everything they used for the car, the instrument panel, the resolution of the navi, the sound system etc. Its a great car, why they powered it with a 200hp engine and no AWD in the IS350, I know not
    I completely agree.
    I would have bought the IS back when I test drove it if the AWD IS250 wasn't so under-powered... and the IS350 wouldn't do for me, being RWD only.
    At least my G35 doesn't have that horrible snapping noise in the windshield that Lexus has yet to resolve!
    Lexus IS has a horrible snapping sound, is this with all the cars?

I’ve had my G35 almost two weeks and I’m still so proud of my choice. So much fun to drive! Gas milease not as bad as I thought, finally filling my tank up this weekend for the first time. I was at the grocery store yesterday and there was a white audi (new) and I walked up to it thinking it was mine, but then I really compared the two side by side and mine had more ROOM inside (a bit bigger) and a better and nice looking control panel with the wood package. Even BMW I’m surprised they don’t make the interior more luxurious? I think when you make a car choice “take away the BRAND” and look at what you get overall. Marketing does a great job with that, you focus so much on the BRAND that you sometimes make out less than if you kept an open mind, glad I did in the end even though I almost did not.
    You are going to find that you are going to be feeling this way for a long time. I have had mine for a month now and I smile every time I walk towards my car.

Its interesting you mention brands because I feel the same way too. One of my hobbies is to park next to Audi A4, C350, BMW 3 series. When you see the G next to these cars, the outward beauty of the G is just so overwhelming you could almost cry with joy :blush:

You are right, the G does offer more than the cars above IMO too
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    if you are talking about a ticking noise coming from the windshield there is a tsb for all 2003-2007 lecus vehicles, they have to cut the plastic that is attached to the windoshield for installation, i gues sit rubs against something and makes a ticking noise.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Lexus IS has a horrible snapping sound, is this with all the cars?

What snapping sound? Had my IS350 for 2 years now and never heard of it before.
    You're one of the lucky few...

Lexus IS Popping Noise
    Hi again.

I have another question if anyone can answer. I just bought a new CD “Leonna Lewis” she won the X factor in England – anyhow, I downloaded my CD in my music box or I thought I did. Then when I take it (the CD) out the songs aren’t there. Also when it seemed to record (I saw it record 1 of 13, 2 of 13 etc) it says track 1, track 2 vs the titles of the song. I have another CD I already have downloaded the car salesman did for me and it has the name of the album and each song name. Is it possible that certain CD’s are protected where you cannot download? I tried to re-record but it would not let me. I popped it in and hit record, isn’t that all I have to do?

Thanks.
    This is where your CF Card comes in and this website
    http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

follow the instructions on the website to download the track titles.

If you pressed record cd, it should have recorded
  • silvertlsilvertl Member Posts: 8
    Its in there....it's just in there as "Untitled" or "Unknown" or something like that.
    The website and the CF card will help you normalize eveything. After you complete the upload, your tracks should be recognized. It takes 5 minutes to complete everything
  • mshefmanmshefman Member Posts: 5
    Friends, I am in the market for an IS 250 AWD. Yesterday, I was given a quote of 15K miles, 36 months, $1349 due at signing and $474/month. Also, the dealer will pay the last 2 months of my current car, which amounts to $750. This is w/out Navigation. With Navigation, I was given the quote of 15K miles, 36 months, $1440 due at signing and $556/month. They will also pay the $750 for my current car. I have not begun to negotiate yet. Just curious if this is a good starting point and where I may expect to end up? The dealer told me this is the lowest price for this car that he has seen (although I have my doubts). Thanks for the help. MJS
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Nice choice, I have the same colour. It's good to know there's some other 6MT owners around apart from myself. :)

In the 7 months I've had mine (has it been that long?), noticed only 1 other "S" on the road and it was a G37. I survived the Winter in Chicago this year and it was a pretty bad one in terms of the amount of snow using Winter tires too.

Today I'm switching back to the performance tires. :shades:
    Found this blurb today online:

Premium or Regular?
    Lower octane costs less, but should you use it? Most modern cars that call for premium fuel can run on regular gasoline without knocking or any long-term penalty. Technically, this makes the car less efficient, but not to a degree that negates the cost savings from the cheaper fuel grade. NOTE: This is true of cars for which premium is recommended, not required. If in doubt, look for terms such as "for best performance" and "recommended" as opposed to "only" or "required." If your car has a turbocharger or supercharger, you probably should stick with premium fuel. Of course, if your car calls for regular gasoline, there's no reason to run it on anything higher in octane.
  • armaniusarmanius Member Posts: 6
    I actually have seen a few G35S here in Houston. But it appears that most of them are automatic G35S, as opposed to the 6MT. If you go on the G35Driver.com board, which is primarily composed of enthusiasts, you will find a lot of 6MT drivers there.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    g35s manuals are out there --i live in boston and see them-- also most dealers have one or 2 on the lot-- for the coupe its a different story up here - see manuals all the time.. I have a g35x and im waiting for an Manual AWD to come out == please infiniti -
  • robyn64robyn64 Member Posts: 1

I'm looking for a 05, G35 coupe