Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Ive been very interested in buying a Hybrid...considering i drive every week..to and from Phoenix to So cal...390 miles each way?....should i be leary?...or just by the best gas mpg car i can find?. Advice please"

Depends on your budget as well. If you want more luxury in the ride, the Toyota Camry Hybrid is better. MPG champ is the Prius, but the HCH is respectable.

If you are in a budget crunch and don't mind a small car, the Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris get very good road mileage. I mention this because Hybrids are at their absolute best in stop and go driving - at highway speeds the gasoline engine is always running.

You could get the Fit (for example) for around $16K (more for the sport model). No batteries, very reliable, good MPG. Just something to consider.
  • pjtheory24pjtheory24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a Civic Hybrid, but it's a 2003 with 97K miles on it. The price I've been quoted is $9,400. Is this a good deal? I would obviously get the warranty, but I am concerned about potential problems on a car that has been driven so much in just 4 years. I also feel that there is much more that I am unaware of. Does anybody have any advice?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It's a high-mileage car. The '03's have a known transmission issue. Yes, you can buy a warranty, but who needs the hassle and potential down-time?
  • kstaimankstaiman Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to add my experience to this thread. I have an HCH 2003 which at about 30K miles started bucking at very light acceleration. I took it to the dealer several times, they replaced the tranny, then torque converter (both under extended warranty), didn't help. Finally a Honda rep was visiting and witnessed the problem - next day they disconnected the EGR, no more problem. I've been driving around like that for a week because they haven't been able to get one for me yet. I'm surprised they didn't think of that earlier - I guess their techs don't read this forum! I also wanted to mention that last year I had what is probably the same thing as buckeroo's "growling shudder" when going from a stop - like you get with a manual in too high a gear. Honda flushed and refilled the tranny fluid and it didn't come back.
  • ron1njddsron1njdds Member Posts: 6
    You can add my car to the list. It has 69000 miles on it and I am on my 3rd!!!! CVT. Those were all paid for by honda. I have had the low speed bucking with all 3 transmissions. My computer was updated and I just paid big bucks to replace the EGR. I don't think honda realizes what this car has done to their reputation.
  • secondaprilsecondapril Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problems mentioned in this thread for some time...flushed the trans fluid which stopped the problem until a few days ago. I'd like to try cleaning the EGR valve, but will try my dealer (Clinton Honda in Clinton, NJ) to see if I can get it done gratis. Anyone know where on the web I can find info to do it myself if that doesn't work out?
  • buckeroobuckeroo Member Posts: 9
    It might be best to temporarily disconnect the EGR valve to make sure it's the cause of the recent bucking. There is a modular electrical connection that you can easily detach - if the bucking goes away, then a clean-out of the valve is worth the time and trouble (or argument with the dealer to get them to do it).
  • svoss1svoss1 Member Posts: 2
    I've been having that same rumbling/lurch when I accelerate from stop with my 2003 Civic Hybrid and took the car in today to have it serviced. I was told that the start clutch had failed and could be replaced to the tune of $1600. I'm no longer under warranty and am not too happy to be paying this much.

They didn't do the trans fluid flush or check the EGR valve, and I'm wondering if there might be a less expensive fix available?

thanks,
    Stephen
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    How many miles do you have on your civic?
  • svoss1svoss1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm at 75K.

thanks.
  • nautilus624nautilus624 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

Thankfully this thread exists or I might feel even more frustrated than I already do. I have a 2003 Hybrid Civic with nearly 40,000 miles on it. I've recently encountered this shuddering issue when accelerating and my Honda dealer is currently "fixing" the problem by flushing the transmission fluid and replacing it. I am skeptical that this will work, but what makes me even more skeptical is that the fellow I am dealing with says that this repair isn't covered by warranty.

Am I missing something? Isn't the powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles? It has only been four years since I purchased the car, and it has less than 60,000 miles. I just thought I would clarify before I made a fuss about it.

Thanks,

Cameron
  • msoquesmsoques Member Posts: 1
    Buckeroo: please publish the link/URL that has the instructions for cleaning the EGR valve. I have a 03 HCH that is exhibiting the same symptoms. Thanks!
  • kchybridkchybrid Member Posts: 18
    All 2003 Hybrid owners should check out this thread also...
    http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/2003-civic-hybrid-t943.html

As far as the flushing, it did NOT fix the problem in my case. Trust me, it WILL continue, 109K and still shuddering.

In my opinion, these '03 Honda CVT's :lemon: are defective!
    Hi,

Sorry but the trail has gone cold on that 1+ year-old link. I remember what I did, though, and it's pretty simple (I am definitely NOT a mechanic but managed fine, didn't even swear once): you just unplug the electrical connection from the EGR valve unit, then remove two bolts that hold the EGR value unit to the engine. Once free, turn it over and you'll see the inside of the valve. I soaked it in carb cleaner overnight, which removed a ton of carbon desposits. Then I just bolted it back on, plugged in the electrical, and goodbye low-speed bucking! However, imediately thereafter I traded the car in, fearing my luck was due to run out (1st trans died at 30K, and I had about 30K on the 2nd one). I would not buy another CVT honda, to be honest - I think they have a REAL problem, wich explains why they usually do the 1st replacement for free even for cars with expired warranties.

I should mention that the low-speed bucking that was fixed by the EGR cleanout is not quite the same as the growl-shudder-buck of the dying CVT. I experienced both (separately, thank God). The EGR-bucking has no growl or shudder, only the buck-buck-buck before you get up to speed from a standstill (particularly on an incline). The two might be easily confused, so I'd recommend disconnecting the electrial connection to the EGR valve and driving the car around to see if there is any change, before you assume the problem is or isn't the EGR valve. I only did the removal and cleaning of my EGR valuve after I first unplugged it, and the bucking stopped. Of course, if you unplug the EGR and the bucking stops, and then after cleaning out the EGR the car bucks again, it probably means you need a new EGR valve, which you can get at an auto parts store for about $150-$200 and install yourself, or have a garage install for you for probably about $50. Still a long cry from the $3+K new trans.

One funny memory I have from all this was how when the car had the EGR-buck problem I took it to Clinton (NJ) honda and the very friendly folks there looked me in the face and said, "our service technician drove the car and didn't notice anything unusual"! OF COURSE NOT, I'M A SCREWBALL WHO IMAGINES THINGS. When I mentioned the EGR problem that was being talked about on this forum, they replied, "there's nothing in any service bulletins regarding problems with the EGR valve." OF COURSE NOT, I'M A NUT-CASE WHO JUST LIKES TAKING DAYS OFF OF WORK TO SPEND ALL DAY AT THE DEALERSHIP FOR THE FREE COFFEE AND YEAR-OLD TIME MAGAZINES. What a hoot.
  • bobguynnbobguynn Member Posts: 11
    I have an '03 Civic Hybrid with CVT and 98,000+ miles. Fortunately, this is the first vehicle in my 57+ years of life on this earth in which I actually purchased the ("Honda Care Plan") extended warrantee. I noted the booming, shuddering and vibration initially about a month ago...when accelerating from a stop. It has become progressively more pronounced. I stopped by Shaller Honda of New Britain, CT, on Monday, 8/15/07, reporting my observations to my service team coordinator (John). He dispatched a Honda service tech to take a ride with me, confirming my observations. They arranged for Enterprise Auto Rental to pick me up. While waiting for my ride, one of the other service team coordinators reported having only one other similar vehicle with this problem. She indicated that the job may entail replacing the tranny fluid or the start-clutch. There was no hint of any potential for a total CVT transplant. I'm due to contact them on Thursday for their formal diagnosis and remedy. I will be bringing a copy of this string with me to the meeting....Thanks to all of you for sharing!

Bob Guynn
    I got my car back after 3 days at Shaller Honda. Following the service bulletin, I got the standard drain/ flush/ burnish treatment. With the printed text of this string in hand, I shared my frustration and concerns vis a vis the bandaid rather definitive repair of my problem...expecially with less than 1500 miles left on the Honda Care Plan (extended warrantee). I called the Honda Care folks and similarly shared my concerns. I was assured by both the dealer and Honda Care that this "repair" puts this whole matter "on the record"...and that if a catastrophic failure were to follow, "I would receive some consideration". So far the car seems to be running OK...it is early yet. Cautious optimist I am known to be...we'll see.

Bob Guynn
    As I am rapidly approaching the 100,000 mile mark and have a (soon to be) young driver in the family, my plan was to pass the '03 Hybrid to the youngest daughter and purchase an '07. I had already had initial conversations with one of Shaller's sales force regarding availability, color, pricing, and tax breaks, etc. These developments have certainly put this process on hold for now. My expectation is that these vehicles should easily be good for 160-200,000 miles, with only the IMA battery pack needing replacement. I wasn't expecting transmission problems at <100,000 miles. That would definitely be a deal breaker between Honda and the Guynn family, should we be left "high and dry" with an expensive lawn ornament.

Bob Guynn
  • haroldwharoldw Member Posts: 8
    This past May I my transmission (CVT) failed while traveling on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey at 65 mph.
    The green drive light turned red, and I limped to side of the road in heavy traffic.
    The trouble light had come on, and I completed my trip of 30 more miles off the main road, much to the displeasure of my wife.
    Took it to my dealer and they said I needed a new transmission for a cost of $3300.00, of which they agreed I ONLY had to pay half.

I called Honda service in California to seek some recourse on the matter, as I only had 25,000 + miles on the car.
    After much bargaining, they dealer said that it would only cost me the labor of $481.95 to replace the tranny, and I agreed, and they would order the parts.
    This was on June 6.
    I phoned my dealer asking had the parts arrived, and they said that Honda in California stopped the order, and that it might just be a computer upgrade to the ECM!
    Helloooo!! A few days later they scheduled an appointment and did the upgrade for free. Will wonders never cease!
    I had been driving the car for more than a month with the trouble light on, and no problems.
    Just last week, I received from Honda in California, a RECALL notice referring to the trouble light problem, and that it would be fixed free.
    I phoned them and said I was charged almost $100.00 to trouble-shoot my trouble light problem.
    They said to send a copy of my bill to them, and they would look into refunding my money. Harold
  • jules12jules12 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Buckeroo, I just purchased a 2004 Civic Hybrid with 48K on it. Drove it about 1K and having very similar problems that you described. I have gone ahead and tried your experiment and the bucking does stop once wires are removed and bucks once put back on. I have gone ahead and removed the EGR valve and it is currently soaking in Carb Cleaner and will attach tonight. Just wondering if you replaced the gasket as well? If this does not work, I did purchase a an extended warranty.

thanks, and hopefully this works
  • chonkiechonkie Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid new in May 2002. I had the shudering/groaning problem when accelerating from a complete stop. It started happening at ~24K miles. The dealership, Boston, MA, flushed/changed the tran. fluid. Then the problem came back after another 10k. They gave me a new(?) transmission completely free. After another 20K they did another trans. flush. When it started groaning again at ~60K miles I traded it in for a 2007 Prius.
    I've only had the Prius for a couple of weeks but it already is getting 10miles per gallon better mileage than the Honda. The Honda only got, at best 39mpg, sometimes it only got 34mpg. Doesn't a regular non-hybrid civic beat this?
    My advice, trade in the hybrid while the resale is still decent and get a Prius.
    And, btw, whoevers posting this stuff about "All cars have problems" and "This is probably a really small percentage of Civic Hybrids that have a problem", Do you work for Honda or what?
    Hi. No, I didn't replace the gasket, and when I put the cleaned EGR valve back on there didn't seem to be any problem with the gasket. Of course, if you wind up replacing the EGR entirely (if the clean-out doesn't fix the bucking problem), it's probably a good idea to put on a new gasket as well.
  • civichybrid03civichybrid03 Member Posts: 2
    My Civic Hybrid transmisison "issue" on my 2003 auto, is being corrected now - the Honda service manager said it is covered by a Honda extended warranty issued on all 2003 (perhaps more model years) Civic Hybrids at no cost to the owner.
    Could we get some more info on this? Are you saying if I have any problems with my tranny in my 03 HCH I will be covered?
  • shaysheeshayshee Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have an automatic 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. About a week ago my 'Brake System' light came on and about a day after that when I turned on the car, my gearshift locked up. It was absolutely stuck - it wouldn't budge and the button on the shifter wouldn't give an inch. It took a couple of minutes of turning the car off and on before it worked. Since then, it's hit or miss...sometimes I can get out of park immediately, sometimes it's the same two minute struggle to get it into gear.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a problem like this? I can't get to the dealer until the weekend at the earliest. Is this some sort of defensive mechanism that's coming on because there's something seriously wrong with my brakes? (I got had the brakes checked when I got my oil changed a month ago and the mechanic said there was nothing wrong).
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I don't think you problem is transmission-related, per se. Likely a problem with the shift-lock mechanism?
  • cliffrunnercliffrunner Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!
    Just got rid of a huge gas guzzler chevy truck and purchased a 2004 AT HCH w/ 77K miles on it. Love the car and ESPECIALLY the MPG!
    I 've only had it a month, and been reading the threads about the CVTs. Every now and then, my green drive indicator dot flashes momentarily, then returns to a steady state. I'm thinking of changing the CVT fluid myself (I'm fairly mechanical)and seeing if that solves the problem, before going any further w/ the burnishing technique the dealer uses.
    I haven't been to the dealer yet, but before I go was curious about some questions.

What is the powertrain warranty on the HCH?
    Are there any service bulletin related to this year or CVT in general?
    Are there any recommended extended service warranties (from you folks)to pursue?
    Any other issues (I've also seen the threads on the EGR valve) I need to be aware of ?
    BTW, love the forum, lots of GREAT information!
  • bigbutzbigbutz Member Posts: 3
    Can someone explain further the shuttering noise mentioned in this post? I own a 2003 HCH now for approx 6 months. Over the past 30 days I am hearing a terrible noise upon acceleration. I don't have any slipping or bucking, just the terrible noise on acceleration. Also it takes a second or two to engage from park to drive or reverse. Is this the CVT problem that has been mentioned so often. I have approx 70k miles. Not sure if Honda is backing this problem but I hope they don't give me problems due to me not being the original owner. I'm in PHX if anyone has any feedback of good dealers to work with.
    It sounds to me like you have the CVT belt slippage problem that you will see mentioned about 118 times on this web string. Honda has issued an extended warrantee to 100,000 miles. Just go to any Honda dealer for the service. The first time around you'll likely get the "burnish" treatment. I'm currently 6,000 miles past that treatment with only an occasional slip at higher speeds characterized by a brief "buck"...then nothing...and not really reproducible. Anyway that noise your hearing "sounds" to me like the classic problem. Good luck!
  • geebotgeebot Member Posts: 7
    Have a 2004 Civic Hybrid with 137k miles on it. Fortunate enough that I was able to befriend someone from a Hona Dealership to be able to give me some information regarding this so called transmission problem. Unfortunately, when I went through Honda warranty I was unable to get assistance because I'm 37k miles over their limit, but I thought maybe I can help others who are experiencing problems to get theirs taken cared of. Hence, make Honda pay for subpar qualities that they now employ... WARNING!!! If considering a Hybrid, you might as well buy a Prius... I know I should have...

Honda came out with the following information below... years after they might have known of the problem which may have caused a lot of people a lot of money and frustration.
    Cars Covered:
    01-05 Civic GX with CVT - All
    01-05 Civic HX with CVT - All
    03-05 Civic Hybrid with CVT - All
    01-05 Insight with CVT - All

Background:
    "On affected vehicles, a momentary judder may be felt after accelerating from a stop, but only up to about 15 mph. The most likely cause of the judder is a worn start clutch in the CVT (continuously variable transmission). To increase customer confidence, American Honda is extending the warranty for this potential problem to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This extended warranty covers only CVT start clutch judder below 15 mph and CVT drive belt slippage (see Service Bulletin 07-050, Warranty Extension: CVT Drive Belt Slippage). Any other customer complaints with the CVT are covered by the normal 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle warranty.

This waranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss, or any that has been issued a salvage, branded, or similar title under any state's law."

"Out of Warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
    In short, if you're having this problem, get it to the dealership asap. You don't want to go out of this warranty. If you do, it'll cost you a lot of money and time. The labor alone on changing the CVT starter clutch was quoted to be about $800.00 if you were going to pay out of pocket, and the CVT starter clutch kit is only available through their Controlled Parts Ordering System where you can only guess how much it it will cost you...

I hope that this information might be helpful to someone. Let us know how your experience went.
    Any chance you can post the details of the 07-050 Service Bulletin?
    Would really be helpful. I'm sure Honda will not even send the notice to those of us who are over 100K miles. Appreciate any further details. Like to be as well prepared as possible when seeking goodwill consideration.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the exact details on the 07-050 Service Bulletin.

However, after talking to Honda Warranty, they had stated that if you were experiencing this particular problem and that you're pretty close to 100k mile mark even if over, they might reconsider your car for goodwill consideration.

If it's really out of warranty, a Goodwill Warranty maybe extended through your Honda Service department with the approval of a District Parts and Service Manager. They may not cover the whole deal but it helps a whole lot when they can purchase the part under "warranty" price and work something out for the labor cost as well.
  • ianralphianralph Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 07 Civic Hybrid (I'm told it is 08 spec) that has shown some of the bucking that is reported elsewhere in this forum.

Yesterday things got "interesting". As I entered a toll tunnel during peak-hour the car would not change out of the lowest "gear" (I know it's a CVT transmission, but gear will have to do). I managed to gear out of the tunnel by travelling at 45km/h with the engine screaming at 5,500rpm. At a set of lights at the other end of the tunnel I attempted to take off only to find that the transmission was now stuck in the highest gear. This meant that I crawled away from the lights at about 2km/h with the engine at idle speed. I found a parking spot and called the dealer who sent a truck to collect it.

Today I called the dealer who tells me that they can't find anything wrong with it and that there are no known problems like this. They said they will reset the ECU and I should pick it up later today.

Has anyone had similar problems? If so what was done to fix it?

Thanks

Ian
    So, I had my EGR valve replaced by honda on my 03 HCH about a year ago. Can I get reimbursed? I had the shudder up to 15 mph too!
    From what is states on the Bulletin, you can contact Honda Warranty to get some sort of a reimbursement if they approve it and if it's related to this particular service warranty.
  • jessag03jessag03 Member Posts: 1
    I am also wondering what was done to fix this issue. Last night my 03 civic hybrid did a similar thing - I was accelerating from a stop and a certain point my rpms jumped between 5-6k. I was able to pull off into a shopping center and shut off the car. I let it sit and then started it up again and drove around the parking lot and it seemed ok so drove it home (which wasn't too far away and the dealership was closed by that time) and didn't have it happen again.
    I took it to the dealership this morning, they told me they can't find anything wrong with it but they did notice that they should replace my start clutch judder and showed me the same service bulletin as posted on another post. So I'm still driving around with the problems and I have to wait until the dealership gets the parts so the judder can be fixed next week. The guy told me that if the computer doesn't register an error and/or they can't replicate the issue they can't do much about it other than give it back to me and see if it happens again (which means if it happens again it may be a bigger problem).

I'm still disappointed that I took my car in in Sept for the bucking issue - they couldn't find anything wrong yet they had this bulletin so it could've been fixed earlier. At least its still falls under the warranty.
    In response to what you had written: My car never had the problem of having the 5-6k rpm while accelerating. What I had was a judder upon acceleration which was felt through the drive train. When I took my car in to get serviced, the dealership found that they didn't need to replace the starter clutch because they followed the routine as indicated by the service bulletin to resurface the burnishings. After they did that, it eliminated the judder so they didn't need to do anything with the starter clutch. However, I was advised to keep watch since it may reoccur. The service on my car was a done a few weeks ago and now having a slight judder upon accelaration. Slight enough that a person unfamiliar with the problem would not notice.
  • doradodorado Member Posts: 7
    joanyque; I started this thread back in 2006 after a harrowing experience with a '03 transmission (44,000 miles) that failed while driving. Glad that it has been a "vehicle" for others to vent on the transmission problems they have had with the Honda Civic Hybrid 03 and other models. With all the problems recorded it would seem like it is time for Honda to issue a recall at least of the 03 transmissions before there is a fatality recorded. As a follow up for my situation they have just agreed to reimburse me for 1/2 of the transmission cost (not for labor and it was for a refurbished one at that). Given other responses I am not sure I should settle for 1/2. Also, it is interesting that they said the reimbursement was for my past loyalty to Honda and not due to a faulty transmission! I have appreciated reading all the other comments also.
  • secondaprilsecondapril Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with American Honda today about my car's repeated problems (same issues covered in this forum) and they informed me that an extended warranty has been issued for 03 HCH covering the CVT problems up to 7 years/100K Mi. They noted it only covers certain issues (unspecified over the phone), but I have an appointment with my dealer (Clinton Honda, NJ) and will report about the results.

BTW I'm at 5 years, 77K miles and struggling to get up hills. Bucking, shaking, etc. all make my driving experience very unconformable.
  • speedracer14speedracer14 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

Great forum and information.

My 2004 Civic Hybrid is in for service as I type. This will be the thrid time for this shuddering issue. First time was back in October, and they did the burnishing thing, and then the problem came back, so I brough it back in December, and they told me they could not find the problem. It is my daughters car, so I traded with her for the past month to see for myself, and the problem happens quit often, and more so when the car goes into sleep mode approaching a stop.

Anyway, armed with all this data from the forum, I will be certain to hold the dealers feet to the issue. I also took it to a differnt Honda dealer this time, because I think the former dealer got kind of tired of trying to figure it out. I am amazed as well that the Honda dealer I went to seemed pretty unaware of the extent and commonness of this problem.

Seems to me that Honda has an issue of a design flaw that they are just muddling through with until they can produce a better transmission for future models. They seem a bit lost as to how to really fix it, and I question whether new transmissions really mean much in this case, just my opinion.

I will also echo the 35 to 42 MPH, because that is all we really get. As far as I know a regular Civic will probably give you 35+ if you're careful, so what is this with the sticker at 47/48. I never saw that on a tankful.
  • kemtidkemtid Member Posts: 6
    Hi Folks,

My Hybrid says its time for a transmission fluid change. I called the Local Honda dealer for their price $89.95, which includes just draining out the old and putting in 3 new quarts of CVT Fluid. Or I could Buy 3 qts from Them at $15.95 Per QT! With my Car Buyer Discount ( 10% off List Price). I also asked about some Honda Antifreeze as I have a Odyssey that I maintain and they wanted $15.12/gal. I just Settled for 2 Drain Plug Washers for $1.74 Each. And Walked Out! What Nerve these People Have! Anyway, I found a Online Dealer through the pages here. Try:

www.bernardiparts.com

The CVT Fluid was $6.77/qt (and I got 6 qts just in case I do the double draining)
    Antifreeze $9.99/gal
    Honda Brake Fluid $3.58
    Shipping was $12..77
    total: $66.99

Still Better than $89.95!

Damn Car Dealers :mad:

Kevin in CT

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid
    2003 Honda Odyssey
    2003 Honda Civic Hybrid SOLD in 2006 for $16K with 50K miles
  • abc987abc987 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 HCH with 90k miles. The battery went out in Nov. was replaced by dealer at no cost. The transmission failed a month later. I was driving and it felt like the trans went in to nuetral, the engine light came on. I had to get the car towed to the dealer and it cost $3500 to get the trans replaced with a new , along with the drive plate. When I looked at the old parts the spline on the drive plate was worn out and I think the problem maybe more the problem and cost a lot less money. Also , the service rep and repair person made statements about the transmission fluid or pack should be changed a lot more often than the service manual says. They suggested every 10 to 20k miles. This is the last Honda I'll ever buy I am so upset with Honda to put out such a piece of defective equipment I think all HCH should file a major lawsuit against Honda for the lemon they have manufactured and should refund the initial cost of the vehicle. They are over priced junk and I think they are scamming the owners with pricey repairs that are not necessary.
  • jawilsonjawilson Member Posts: 20
    Today I got a "warranty extension" notice for 100,000 miles or 7 years for two symptoms of CVT failure: "Judder and Slippage." They agree to reimburse all costs for transmission repair or replacement. All of you owners above should contact your dealer! I think the reimbursement is new.

I had "judder" three years ago in my '03 HCH and they would only agree to double change the transmission fluid in 2005. As I was about to trade the vehicle in, the used car evaluators (three dealerships) drew the judder to my attention, and reduced the value accordingly--except at Honda, where they told me is was under warranty. I have an eight-year all-parts extended warranty which covers the CVT also.

Last week I took it in to have the clutch replaced. They told me it would be a day-long job. Then, they corrected that to two days, which was OK with me,since I have another vehicle. It was three days before it was ready.

I picked it up and drove 15 miles. I worked beautifully. Then the transmission started to slip; next the engine light came on and it failed on the highway in less than a mile!. They towed it back to the garage for me. My HCH has only 30000 miles on it! Any advice for me?
  • dmorris872dmorris872 Member Posts: 3
    I just recieved my extended warranty for my 2003 HCH the other day and called for some relief. I am still waiting on an answer.
    Here is the problem,
    My car has 124,000 miles on it and has been having the shudder at statup problem since 66,000 miles. When I first brought it into the dealer for the problem they told me it was the EGR valve and also that I needed to change the transmission fluid $400 for the EGR vavle and $440 for the 60,000 mile service which include "special transmission fluid". I asked about my 7 year 100K warrany and she looked it up and said I was covered for the EGR but not the 60K maintainence. Sounded expensive but fair to me. Since then I have had my car in 3 times in the last 60K to have the fluid changed at $66 a change. It is shuddering again so I called American Honda.
    So far what they want to do is have me bring the car in for a diagnostic check to see if the problem is the transmission and pay for it and then they will determine on a case-by-case basis if they will reimburse me for the repairs and diagnostic.
    My point and problem is that they should have fixed it properly at the 66K mark and then when I brought it in each time for a transmission fluid change. and not tell me that they are sorry I am out of the warranty and I will have to be taken care of on a case by case basis.
    Any suggestions?
    My situation is almost identical to yours. I'm at 120,000 miles on my 2003 HCH.
    Had the same problem starting at about 65,000 miles, did the EGR thing also. Problem continued. 2nd time in they said it was motor mounts, so I had to pay the $100 for the diagnostic and $50 deductible on extended warranty. Problem continued. Did the transmission flush also. Problem continued. After receiving my notice I also called in for some relief (good will consideration) and got the same lame answer. I've already paid Honda once for a WRONG diagnosis, I don't think I should have to pay again, especially with no guarantee they will do anything for those of us outside the 100K mark. In my opinion they intentionally dragged their feet on this problem to avoid responsibility. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the probability that many of us would be outside 100K by now. I'm thinking the only option left may be to lodge a complaint with the national highway safety agency at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ . I don't know what else to do at this point. I'm totally frustrated with Honda and this vehicle. What's worse is that the transmission is also slipping at higher speeds - a much more dangerous problem.
  • civictrannycivictranny Member Posts: 2
    The maintenance minder on my HCH, has three levels that I know of. The first is an LOF, the second is an air filter and cabin filter replacement, and the third is transmission fluid and filter replacement. My first quesion is, how much do aftermarket air and cabin filters cost compaired too the Honda ones? If they are avaliable? Cause at the dealer the number two service costs over 100 dollors! And my second and most important question is, that the number three service light came one at about 20,000k. The writer at the dealer said that hybrids need too have the transmission fluid replaced alot because it is a hybrid. So considering I have no knolwedge on the drivetrains of hybrid cars I was looking for information on how often the transmission fluid and filter need too be replaced on at 07 HCH?
    To begin with, I posted on this board a while back and my history with my 03 HCH includes 2 transmission replacements, EGR replacement, fuel filler door cable replacement and now my check engine light just came on yet again. I hoped it was related to the computer update that the car was scheduled for but it wasn't, instead I need 2 new O2 sensors. Parts and labor? $700. approx. BUT they are doing it for free... Why? There must be a silent recall because I have 76,000 mi and this wouldn't normally be covered under warranty... dealer acts like he's doing you a big favor and also denies that there are any transmission issues with this car... mine is the only one! I just love being talked to like I'm stupid... last Honda I'll ever buy.
    I don't think an auto manufacturer should be experimenting on us with it's vehicles, especially when it involves issues of safety. It seems to me that we have enough examples of major component failures for this vehicle that the legal system may offer us relief from a corporation that has failed to give us the safe and reliable vehicle that it advertised. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to proceed?
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • dmorris872dmorris872 Member Posts: 3
    I don't have an answer to thee class action lawsuit but I would join one if there were one. The transmission problem brings me to mind of the paint peeling problem that GM had in the 80-90 time frame. They bit the bullet and took care of the customers.

However Honda does know they have a problem with the transmissions and are hiding behind legalities as the Customer Service Rep has told me "It's not a safety issue" so there is no recall. Obviously he doesn't drive this car. It is also interesting to see that Honda had a problem in Japan and took care of it there and if you read the NTSB Bulletins on the links below they are hiding behind the letter of the law to keep from helping their American customers.
    Links to NTSB

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Foreign%20C- - - ampaigns/2003/F-Campaigns/FRCL-03F075-4164.pdf

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Foreign%20C- - - ampaigns/2005/F-Campaigns/FRCL-05F063-4277.PDF
  • jawilsonjawilson Member Posts: 20
    Since Feb 14, my HCH is back on the road, and working perfectly. They replaced the CVT Clutch again because "a hose broke" and all of the transmission fluid drained out! They assured me that it would not happen again! (I really believe them). I expect this car to go at least another 30000 miles... Everything else works. I averaged 37 mpg over the first 30,000 miles (40% highway and 60% in town). Not bad.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2007 HCH with 10,500 miles on it.

I am very happy with car, the mileage and the CVT. I tested the Dodge Caliber when it was introduced and hated the CVT in that vehicle. The HCH CVT seems much more sophisticated, and very smooth.

However, there are well documented problems with the phase 1 (up to 2004? 2005?) HCH CVT.

Has anyone experience the same problems with the phase 2 models? Was the transmission part of the re-design? Will the 2007 CVT experience the same problems?