Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    My 03 HCH (auto) is at 86,000 miles and I've replaced the egr valve. I've also replaced the front battery once and I have a creaking noise around my front left tire that a mechanic told me I don't need to fix. Here's hoping things keep going well, I got a 54 mpg tank last week.
  • rikfrerikfre Member Posts: 57
    Well,it seems to me that Honda of America has made it crystal clear that we would be making lots of trips to the dealerships for their benefit. They made such good reliable vehicles that were so easy to maintain that the dealerships probably complained. Now with these very complex vehicles, the dealerships get the action and the dough. I don;t know about your area, but were I live (NYC metro) the dealerships are awful. The techies do not know anything about how to maintain a HCH. I feel we have all experienced their jive. I know I have experienced their condescending ways. My family owns quite a few Hondas. I know I will not be getting another one again. They have forgotten who made them.
  • szamzamszamzam Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,
    My 2003 HCH quit on me while driving. The engine seems to run normally but drive is like neutral. WHen i change to parking, Drive blinks but the car will not move. First dealer told me it might transmission ot fly wheel drive. Second dealer says the car has no fly wheel drive and is still diagnosing it.
    Does anyone know if it has a flywheel drive and/ or what the problem might be...

Thanks.
  • irisheyes785irisheyes785 Member Posts: 19
    hi.
    i've made many posts on this forum about the declining quality of my 2003 HCH. Since i bought it it's been slowly breaking down. first i needed a burnish at 60k, a few weeks after i purchased the car. then again about 10 k later. and again 10k after that as well as new starter clutch, rebuild transmission. 5k later- now at 86,000- only 6k past the Honda extended warranty and my Drive light also started flashing. The manual says to take it in right away if this happens. I did and they told me they need to replace the transmission control module. this may be the only problem, maybe more, not sure yet. the only dealer that will help me is where i bought it- i guess i'm lucky since it's outside of warranty they don't HAVE to help me, but come ON- they just fixed the damn thing 5k miles ago!!! that is embarrassing to them AND honda i would think!!

as before, i will post an update once repairs have been made- hopefully the P.O.S. will be able to drive all the way to the original dealer before it breaks.

anyways, good luck to all who made the mistake of purchasing this seemingly good investment.

Szamzam- Please post an update as well. of the MANY MANY problems i've had w/the vehicle, i've never had the D light flash, so i am very concerned now, interested to see what is wrong with yours and if it relates- or maybe the light can flash for a few different types of trans problems. but the manual definitely says something about the D light flashing meaning the trans is going...

Page 166 in the 2003 HCH manual explains about the Flashing "D" indicator.

:lemon: :lemon:
    Hi, the 2003 Civic HCH is a very complex vehicel. It's so complex that the dealerships have no clue how to deal with it.After all, it is the first generation vehicle. I would suggest you google the Civic CVT tranny and realize how small it is. When the "burnishment" of the clutch was done they should have upgraded the TCM (tranny control module) software. did they? They also should have done a system re-set after the TCM upgrade. did they? The software upgrade is part of the burnishment. The re-set is simple and if you are handy I can tell you how to do it or have a mechanic do it. Once the re-set is done the vehicle runs much better. I am not a technician. I have benefited from some information given to me by someone who knows the vehicle very well. By the way, when they did the "burnishment" on my car they shorted my tranny almost half a pint of tranny fluid. My regular mechanic found that. It's what caused the slippage in my tranny which I thought needed replacement. Call this dealerships bluff! Good luck!
  • gerardhmgerardhm Member Posts: 2
    I've had no luck with my my '03 HCH and repairs by Honda dealers either. Earlier this year, I had the Cat. go and I tried to have the dealer work out a deal with me to replace it, but to no avail. Now, I'm being told that my transmission is failing (it's been making a funny noise since Thanksgiving that they've just now been able to diagnose). I'm just not sure I want to put another 4-5K in the car and I'm pretty darn sure Honda's not going to help me pay for the transmission repairs. However, I think they should b/c they sure have screwed up on making cars that work well.
    They didn't upgrade the TCM, i had that break separately at 86,000 and just had the replaced on "good will" since the warranty is up. i would have been pissed if they didn't cover that and they already knew it was bad and didn't fix it. but i know there's more... :(
    they did do the software update- strangely, that was when the battery stopped charging to 100% they tried to blame it on the new software- i am just at my wits end. i have no clue who is just ignorant and who is really lying to me for their own gain. very frustrating!!

when you refilled/replaced the fluid, did you buy the liquid gold "Honda" fluid? If not what did you use instead?
    gerardm-

we have the same vehicle... have you read my posts? there may be a lot more you can do before total replacement. what is your millage? read my posts, there are a bunch in this thread about my car and the various things i've tried. it's been 3 years since the problems really started, though i think i'm finally down to kinda thin ice. but maybe there's still a way to get a few more years out of your vehicle.

question for anyone:
    are you guys repairing them and then selling them off to unsuspecting people? or trading them in- if so, at Honda or another dealer? Or Are you going to drive your hybrids till the wheels fall off?

i'm thinking i might have to be shady and sell it to someone else once i patch up the trans :( it makes me sad, but i can't afford to trade it in to a honda dealership for a better car since i'm not done paying for it yet...
    Hi there, yes , I did buy their high priced tranny fluid..I bet its Dexron III in their packaging. Funny thing is that their tranny fluid (from the dealership) was clear and the one I bought from the parts dept. was dyed red!! Sounds like your dealership is no different than the ones around here. google honda and get the presidents name. write him a letter (I did) let him know how the dealerships abuse customers.
    i'm kinda done pouring any energy at all into this situation!! ugh! terrible that it comes to this, but i'm going to see if i can get one of those US Fidelity extended warranties b/c i know it would pay for itself, and just drive the thing till the wheels fall off. I can't afford to trade it in or try to buy another car right now :(

my exhaust started making this rumbling noise, not rumble, but like a tinker, as if you put a few pebbles in a tin can and rolled it around. i think the lady on the phone said something about the muffler, but that it wasn't bad enough to worry about yet... of course idk if i should believe that or not.

anyone else with the same noise?? know what it is or how much it costs to fix?? i drive with my radio loud enough so i don't have to hear it (or the vibrating dash board that has plagued the car since i bought it!!!).

good luck everyone- i'm always thinking positive thoughts for all of us who are stuck with these cars.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    I have 25,000 miles on a 2007 HCH and the maintenance minder says change the transmission fluid.

The manual says the fluid should be drained and refilled, then the car should be driven for a short distance. This process should be repeated 3 times, then drain and refill a final time.

I checked with the Honda Dealer Technician and was told, no they just drain and refill.

Which procedure are you using?
    the honda dealership is the only place that's changed my tranny fluid. as my posts describe they've done lots of crap to my trans (including a rebuild and new parts), none of which has fixed anything.

i would trust anyone EXCEPT my honda dealership at this point in time. if that's what the manual says, do it. try to keep your trans good as long as possible, don't let honda f*ck it up and then rip you off to replace the whole trans or worse.

good luck with your car, hopefully the newer ones are made better.
    :lemon:

(if you are going to flush it 3 times though, i'd use less expensive fluid for the first 2 times and then put the liquid gold honda fluid in for the final fill up. no point wasting more money on honda stuff than is really necessary!!!)

last advice- find a mechanic who has worked on hybrids. someone you can trust. look good and hard for someone reliable and honest and then say "F YOU HONDA" and never bring it back. just my opinoin- honda lies and does things to ensure that you need more work and will continue coming back with problems. my car has left there with more problems that when i dropped it off before.

i am considering a US Fidelity type of extended warranty- has anyone done this? i feel like it will easily pay for itself. now in addition to needing a new trans i will also need a new exhaust system. i will soon be looking to unload this on an unsuspecting buyer, i am ashamed, but what else is there to do??? i am glad people have united here for support.
    please post any info you guys may have on extended warranties (not from honda).

thanks and good luck, as always
  • pjbutterflypjbutterfly Member Posts: 4
    I too have been screwed over by honda.Bought a civic HX 2 years ago wth an''extended warranty that the dealer swore covered transmissions.took it to 2 car places one was AAMCO.they said it was definitely the transmission.Then Honda says they want to do their ''own' tests again when they too said it was the trans.well now they say it was just a ''glitch'' and there's no problem.I asked why then did AAMCO say there was a prob,and HONDA says ''Thats just how aamco makes their money!'' What a load!! They just don't want to pay for a new transmission!
    I BOUGHT ONE 2 YEARS AGO WTH A ''BOGUS'' EXTENDED WARRANTY WHICH MY HUSBAND BOUGHT AFTER THE DEALER SAID TRANSMISSIONS WERE COVERED.IT WAS CLOSING TIME AND THEY WERE IN A HURRY,I GUESS THEY THOUGHT MY HUSBAND WAS DUMB,BEING A FOREIGNER,BUT IM NOT AND SENT THEM A NASTY E-MAIL!AAMCO EVEN FOUND A PROBLEM WTH MY TRANS. BUT HONDA SAYS THAT THATS THE WAY THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY! ANOTHER PLACE HAS TOLD ME I HAVE A TRANS PROB TOO.HONDAS SAYS IT'S JUST A ''GLITCH''! ''BULL''.
    you should post some details, and no need to yell.

what year is your car? bought new or used? have you had the trans repaired ever? was it at honda? have you taken the service bulletins in with you?

my conclusion is that my car is [non-permissible content removed] and there's nothing else that can be done by honda- this is b/c of the year and mileage on my vehicle- 2003/87,000

however, until 85k when the warranty ran out i was up honda's [non-permissible content removed] all the time. going once is not enough. you need to print out pages from this website or others, print out the service bulletins you find online, any other proof you have of honda knowing about and fixing this problem for other customers. let them know that you know that they know about it!!! they will reluctantly help you. they have to. if you haven't, read the other posts about the service bulletins posted by honda.

you car will eventually break down completely, no matter what honda does for you- they are made like [non-permissible content removed] and replacing the parts only patches up the problem, BUT you can make it last a lot longer if you pester honda constantly. unfortunately some of the hybrids are just lemons and if you bought it used there's nothing you can do about it. but that's no reason to let them deny you service- at least you can keep patching up the trans until you find someone to buy it or can afford to trade in or buy a new car. :(
    :lemon:

good luck!
  • stan29stan29 Member Posts: 13
    Our hybrid now has 117,000 miles on it and the gears are slipping badly again. When I have to let up on the gas, the car is jolting again and when I put the car in reverse to back down the driveway, I have to wait about 20 seconds or longer until the gear adjusts. Our dealer replaced two transmissions under waranty. I thought the first one was just a fluke. The second one, I began to think that perhaps the job was done badly, but now I have to think this is an engineering problem. I've already been through the catalytic converter replacements. Both the dealer and Honda Care are unwilling to help us at this point. The car has become dangerous to drive and we're taking it to the dealer today. They said they would be willing to look at the transmission. The service man at the dealer said I must be drag racing the car. It's our only car, so I could be looking at a huge bill. I know I'll be calling Honda corporate. My loyalty to Honda is gone.
    Irisheyes is right,
    the '03 Civic Hybrid is a piece of garbage. I am a maintenance nut...! even though my vehicles are high miles, I have people who buy my used vehicle. I told them not to bother with the HCH. Honda dealers play games with the vehicle to make sure they get your $$$ and keep you coming back for more. Honda America has lost its way. They used to make fine, dependable vehicles. they don't anymore. I will not be purchasing anymore Hondas. One day I'll let you know about my '02 Odyssey. The worst vehicle they ever made. Yes, worse than the '03 HCH. And, I own both of them. I am such a lucky guy. I will be getting rid of my '03 HCH as soon as I can. Not worth it, and the dealers have a field day with them. good luck :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    its a 2001 used honda civic HX.yes i brought in the papers from AAMCO.Honda said they don't repair transmissions,only replace them.right now their saying nothing is wrong after the first test they did said it was definitely the transmission.So we'll just wait..so far it's behaving! LOL I think its got a lot to do wth cold weather too,spring is here in Virginia Beach,so no more freezing temps!
  • ozarkguyozarkguy Member Posts: 1
    2004 civic hybrid with 78000 mi. that has a whining noise when put in forward (drive). The dealer wants to replace transmission without much more than listening to it. I have very little judder or slipage, that I can tell. Cost to replace transmission is around 4000. Most of the postings indicate poor service from dealers. If I can't get warranty, should I look to independents for repair?
  • ron1njddsron1njdds Member Posts: 6
    I too am on my 3rd transmission in an 03 HCH with 91000 mi. I've also had EGR valve and O2 sensor(s) replaced and the Hybrid battery too. I just made an appointment and they will replace the starter clutch, burnish the band and change the fluid because of judder. These problems started at around 25000mi and have periodically recurred but all work to date has been totally covered under warranty. As I've read through most of the posts I can't understand the many times people have paid for any of these things out of pocket? They are all covered for 7 years or 100,000 mi. I think a lot of people are due money back from Honda if their dealers did charge them. True this car has been a royal pain in the [non-permissible content removed] but at least I didn't have to pay.">
    American Honda is an awful company that sells defective vehicles based on their past reputation. Consumers buy these vehicles in good faith. Then we are coerced into paying to fix their defects. All these repairs should be no charge because they knew they were selling defective machines. I'm never buying another Honda. Spread the word. don't buy Honda. Any lawyers out there with balls to sue these bastards? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • drickettsdricketts Member Posts: 1
    can the tranny be repaired, does the 02 and the 03, 04 and 05 use the same tranny?
    I recently had my Odyssey transmission fixed properly and correctly ( not by a dealership), Honda refuses to reimburse me because I did not go to their dealership. I feel that dealerships create problems. They don't fix them because it would put them out of business. I had the root problem explained to me by the owner of the tranny shop. After reading so many of the posts all over the internet regarding the problems with the CVT, I feel that there is a possibility of a connection. The same problem that my Odyssey had is probably the same problem that plagues the HCH CVT. I am going to investigate this angle and see if it fits. I will post the result once I get a firm proof.
  • caveat_emptorcaveat_emptor Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2003 Civic Hybrid.
    My maintenance schedule was maintained.

The vehicle experience:
    Warranty service was provided for transmission Judder and Slippage.

2008 Hybrid Battery replaced.
    2009 Transmission replaced.

Conclusion: No more Hondas.
  • rkaylorrkaylor Member Posts: 3
    How many miles did you have on your 03 Hybrid when transmission failed? I have an 06 and really don't think much of this mush box, but we shall see.

Thanks!

Ron
    I assume you paid for the battery and tranny. How much? I have an 03 with a dying battery and faulty tranny too, but I wouldn't base your opinion on honda just by this car alone. I've had three hondas before this one and they have all been great. I think the 03 wasn't thought out as well as it should have been and we all are suffering for it.
  • acrumpacrump Member Posts: 1
    Here's the deal with the transmission (Judder Slippage/Recall issue...car rumbles when accelerating, esp from a stopped position going uphill).

Honda's protocol is to do a burnishing procedure three times, at which point, they will replace the clutch on the transmission (for free) under the recall. But take note: the car has to be under 105K mi and still have the slippage issue after having the three burnishings, or they will not replace it for you.

My car is currently at 98K and is finally eligible for the new clutch. The burnishing procedure worked every time they did it, but the problem kept reoccuring about 3 months later.

This will be a brand new clutch I'm getting (not an old/refurbished one) so it should absolutely clear up the problem. :blush:
    I'm working with my third dealership. I find them all to be very sneaky and they play a cute games that I have witnessed before with Goodyear, Firestone and other "repair" places. Trouble is, because I'm stuck with the HCH, they have the software. Never again...no more Hondas for me.
  • kchybridkchybrid Member Posts: 18
    opinion on honda:
    You've missed the point. The point is Honda has demonstrated {to me} through their handling of the 2003 HCH in America that they do not care enough (about repeat customers) to warrant their business or continued patronage. As a side note, a little research indicates that Honda was forced by the government in Japan to recall and replace transmissions in these vehicles in Japan. It appears they chose not to do that in this country. { nor were they required to do so - too bad for us }
    So its not a matter of not having other quality vehicles, I agree with you on that point. But as for me, based on my 2003 HCH experience with Honda, I choose to take my business down the road to either Toyota or Ford going forward.
    Signed: A former loyal Honda owner since 1984. +++++ No longer. ++++++++
  • mazda500mazda500 Member Posts: 1
    Bought HCH new July 2002. Transmission always juddered and surged after 35K miles. We maintained it--fluid changes--per book for life of car. Honda serviced it at 70K miles for free because we complained loudly and wrote to the head office about the surging, etc. Also claimed to have reprogrammed the computer per warranty. Surging started again 110K. Then whining at about 135K, which gradually got worse until it became a guttural, gravelly snarl, sounded like rocks being tumbled--but only when it was in gear, never in neutral. Engine perfect. Rock grinding continued to worsen through 180K when a rattling and banging began. Two days ago driving it to trade it in, high pitched whine at 65 mph followed by total failure of transmission (broken belt? We'll never know.) Had it towed to the Mazda : ) dealer and were glad to be shed of it. We never spent a dime to replace anything. Figure on 185K as an outside limit on failing transmission with minimal servicing. Poor reliability and longevity for a Honda. Our 1996 HX had 144K on a CVT with no fancy fake 'shifts' like they added later. Was running perfectly when traded, no noise, no surge. We had similar problems with whining, noise, surging w/2000 HX w/CVT. This latest episode is why we switched to Mazda after 13 years and 390K miles on Hondas. Not necessarily on tranny topic but related: Honda dealer wanted $3K for a new battery ($1759 aftermarket) when IMA light came on at 170K. We ignored that advice and drove it another 7K miles, charging perfectly all the while. At that point the IMA light went off by itself. Had we listened to the dealer we'd have been out $3K or more. (It came on again at 180K, but was getting better gas mileage and still charging well right to the last.) Don't waste your money on Honda repairs and service. Drive it til it doesn't run any more and then buy something that will last.
    the rocket scientist (at the third dealership I have gone to) replaced the clutch on my '03 Civic Hybrid under warranty.. they never gave me the old part (so, I do not know if they did or didn't do the work) and the car still has the same problem( hesitation and slippage of the tranny). I'm awating their response for the next step. Every time they touch my car, they fool around with other things in it which causes me to return to my regular mechanics to correct Hondas tinkering.
    Honda (both corporate and their dealerships) have been absolutely horrible in their treatment to me for both my '02 odyssey (defective tranny, which they ignore) and my '03 HCH tranny. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN. I WILL ENCOURAGE EVERYONE I KNOW NOT TO BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT. They have forgotten who made them..!!
  • bobguynnbobguynn Member Posts: 11
    My experience with this Judder problem has not been as colorful as that described in message #241 by "rikfre". I have however had my fill of Honda and Shaller Honda of New Britain, CT. The judder issue appeared at about 93,000 miles and just prior to reaching the limit of the extended warrentee at 98,000, they finally relented to my repeated concerns on this observed "judder" on take-off from a stop especially when going up hill. While in pretty much full denial of "judder" as an issue, they did take my car in for 2 days and performed the "burnish" procedure which cost me about $100 for transmission oil. The car seemed to settle down for about 5 thousand miles (beyond my extended warranty period) and resumed judder as before. During my next service I discussed this observation with Shaller's "Green" Team repair guy and was not offered anything in the way of a solution which didn't involve VERY SERIOUS $$$. After that experience I no longer consider Honda Motors nor Shaller Honda of New Britain, CT as worthy of my patronage. This past February, we purchased a 2009 Prius w/Pkg 6 from Wallingford Toyota...and have had a positive impression of both Toyota and the dealership to date. The Prius has averaged 51+ indicated MPG over the 7,000 miles driven thus far. As for our 2003 HCH, it now has 130,000 on it. I have it serviced at a Valvoline Oil Service Center for fluids/filters and an independent for anything more involved. The judder remains, but we're going to follow "rikfre's" advice and drive on...until it won't drive anymore. We're done with Honda America and the dealership.
  • twizbtwizb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 HCH that I bought used in 2007. I've had the transmission clutch cleaned (I don't know for sure what they do) about seven months or so ago. It did a rumble thing when I'd take off. Well, now it's hesitating to shift when I first start out and doing the grumble thing again. Any ideas what I should do? I don't have warranty on it - there's 185K miles on it.
    Flush the tranny fluid, once I did that the judder went away. Are you on the original hybrid battery?
    what does the original hybrid battery have to do with the tranny..?
  • jveejvee Member Posts: 4
    I just called the Honda America number (1-800-999-1009) to report a CVT transmission problem on my Mom's 93 Hybrid with less than 50,000 miles.

They told me that the warranty had been extended to 7 years or 105,000 miles to cover "transmission slippage", but my Mom bought it a few days too late (expired August 9, 2009). They say they will "open a case" and discuss it with her dealership when it is diagnosed (she has to pay for diagnosis). They will get in touch with her in 2 business days to let her know if they will cover any repairs/replacement.

I will keep this forum posted on how they treat her. She always got all maintenance done at the dealer, Sacucci of RI, and trusts them implicitly.

I hope I can report something positive.
    93 Civic Hybrid? 03 you mean? She still should be under warranty for any civic hybrid...
    Yeah, you'd think her 2003 Civic Hybrid would still be under the 7-year, 105K mile extension for slipping CVT, but she bought it August 9 of 2002, meaning it just misses being covered.

I'll keep you posted. Should know by next Friday, August 21, what the diagnosis and decision are.
  • pwebbpwebb Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I found this site. I have a 2004 Civic Hybrid which I took in at 45000 miles(I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the car) with transmission problems. The tech at the dealer said the car needed a new transmission at that time, but Honda decided to replace something. They kept my car for two weeks! When I found out they had not replaced the transmission I made sure there were notes that this was done and if it occurred again something would be done. I continued to have problems with it and just before the extended warranty ran out I took it back in..they changed the transmission fluid and said that should make it okay. I really should have been more persistent. At 98000 miles took it in and Honda, very rudely I might add, said they would pay to replace it at 2/3 the cost of the transmission with me paying $1600. I have talked with Honda and my dealer and they refuse to do any better. I am out of people to go to about this problem. Any ideas? I appreciate any response. I have until Monday, August 24 to accept their offer. Thanks!
    The CVT transmission is basically a tranny for a motorcycle/scooter and they stuck it in a car. The best way I can describe it is like a ten speed bike gear system. They know its defective and do take advantage. since you do not specifically mention the problems. I have no idea what it is. google "system re-set for Honda Hybrids" sometimes the dealers do not reset the system (if needed). A good local mechanic can do it for you. it can make a difference. I am not a mechanic/technician
    It looks as though my mom just slipped in before the transmission warrantee expired on her 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT. The recall service(s) would not have been affected by an expired warrantee.
    They did the recall item, burnishing (whatever the hell that is), and had no luck fixing the delay or the grinding. They have ordered the new "star" clutch and will install it soon, a two-day job.
    I really hope this works.
    I'll keep you all posted.
    my son's car is not a hybrid,its a 2001 coupe,sporty thing,so far no jumping because the weather's been warm.we also put in the CVT transmission oil because no one told us at the dealership to only use that until it had problems back in march.
  • nypeachnypeach Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 2004 HCH a year ago and have had nothing but problems. First, the clutch starter kit was recalled and had to be replaced. That was after another recalled piece had been replaced (something to do with the electrical system). Last week, the car just stopped...on the highway! I had it towed and was told the air compressor had to be replaced. also, the compressor jamming caused the serpentine belt to break. I ended up paying $1,372.26 for a HONDA Civic Hybrid with less than 100,000 miles on it. I could have bought a Ford for all the trouble I'm having with the car. Is anyone else having so many problems?
    pjbutterfly- this whole forum is for CIVIC HYBRID owners w/problems...
    if you don't have one, you should be posting in a different forum, your problems are not related to these vehicles, you have a totally different car....
  • sandybeach2sandybeach2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to upgrade the TCM software and to do a system reset after the TCM upgrade? I am going to do the burnishment of the clutch because of
    the slippage and I guess I need to do this.
    I will never buy a Honda again with all the trouble I have had with this car.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Just a general comment, a disagreement if you will, the CVT transmission is NOT a transmission for a scooter stuck into a car. It is also considerably different (totally in fact, with as much similarity as a bananna to a submarine) from a 10 speed bicycle gear system with the "key word" being GEAR in as much as the CVT system has NO gears but instead an infinitely variable range of "speeds". CVT transmissions are in use today in most Nissan, some Chrysler and Toyota (Prius) cars in addition to Honda hybrids. As used on these various other brands I have never heard of any large scale problems inherent to the design. As I understand the system it is considerably simpler with many fewer parts and pieces than a traditional automatic transmission. I have driven rental vehicles with this transmission and aside from some initial getting used to the way it causes REV's to be high and constant during acceleration it a pleasant and gas saving alternative to the relatively "ancient" traditional automatic transmission.
    the tech at honda will do all of that at once... there's not really any benefit to doing it by yourself, since there's an extended warranty for that Honda HAS to do it for free.
  • sandybeach2sandybeach2 Member Posts: 2
    thanks but my husband ended up doing the burnish because he had bought the cvt fluid already.
    So does anyone know how to upgrade the TCM software after burnishment?
  • stephondastephonda Member Posts: 5
    Hi, my Daughter has a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and when you put it in Gear, drive or Reverse, step on the gas, it makes a big bang and the car jerks, then takes off. I took it to my local Honda Dealer & he said it had a transmission(Automatic) problem & a clutch problem. it has just barely over 105,000 miles on it and they told me their was a curtesy call not a recall, on these very problems. Anyways, he just called me back earlier today and said the curtesy call warranty or whatever Honda calls it run out at 105,000 miles and , like I said, it had like 105,576 . he said Honda says Sorry, but they wont fix it..... any ideas on who or anyone else to contact or what to do? thanks for any info :)
  • stephondastephonda Member Posts: 5
    Hi, my Daughter has a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and when you put it in Gear, drive or Reverse, step on the gas, it makes a big bang and the car jerks, then takes off. I took it to my local Honda Dealer & he said it had a transmission(Automatic) problem & a clutch problem. it has just barely over 105,000 miles on it and they told me their was a curtesy call not a recall, on these very problems. Anyways, he just called me back earlier today and said the curtesy call warranty or whatever Honda calls it run out at 105,000 miles and , like I said, it had like 105,576 . he said Honda says Sorry, but they wont fix it..... any ideas on who or anyone else to contact or what to do? thanks for any info