Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• jessbjessb Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago, the transmission in my 2003 hybrid started to jerk a bit if I accelerated gently. If I accelerated harder, the ride smoothed out. I took it in for it's 60k checl-up and told my dealer about the problem. They thought it might be some glaze build-up that could be burnished off, but then decided that I just needed my transmission fluid flushed and replaced with a new one Honda had developed for the hybrid. Is this how everyone else's transmission died or am I totally off base?
  • hot_georgiahot_georgia Member Posts: 51
    When my '04 HCH CVT was at around 30K miles it got real jerky until the service interval (30K) which changed the fluid.

Today it's at about 75,000 miles and haven't had the jerkyness since. CVT fluid was also changed at its regular 60K interval as well.
  • sbrownbwsbrownbw Member Posts: 3
    I recently had the EGR valve replaced (55,000 miles)and my "bucking bronco" problem was eliminated. The other problem that periodically happens is when driving at steady highway speeds, the car will accelerate and decelerate slightly without any change to the gas peda position. Any ideas as to what could be the cause?
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    How much for your egr valve replacement?
    The EGR valve replacement was about $240 and then they stuck fme or another $240 for a fuel system "flushing" and "treatment". I'm still not sure what the heck that was all about.
  • theothecattheothecat Member Posts: 1
    The EGR valve was replaced as a "recall" problem for free. Did you go to the dealer to have it replaced?
    Recall?????? I took it to the dealer and had to pay $260. WTF?
    I've heard from many people who simply remove this valve, clean it out and have no problems since.
    If you have the ability to clean it seems to be the way to go.
    Guess I'm lucky. At 75,000 miles still no problem with that.
    -Steve
    I heard about cleaning it out after I did the replacement. :(
  • rjames27rjames27 Member Posts: 6
    Our Honda has about 45000 miles as well. We have noticed the slipping or hesitation whan starting from a complete stop. We are located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Any suggestions on how to approach the dealer on this problem to minimize the cost would be greatly appreciated.
    I am interested in this "replacement under a recall" Do you know where I can find out more about recalls for 2003 HCH's?
    Thanks!
  • granny5granny5 Member Posts: 6
    I recommend to everyone that experiences this problem that you get on the phone to Honda America--the number is in your Warranty book -- the little one --and talk to soneone there. They will give you a "case-manager" and you will have the opportunity to work with them. I realize that the dealer can only do so much. Honda America was great in addressing the problems with my 2003 Hybrid. The issues are now documented in my file if I have more problems. Good luck.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    They must be having a lot of transmission problems if they give you a case manager. When my 4 year old regular Civic EX had a problem with the timing belt tenshioner and water pump they did it free of charge. Also same thing with the struts on the same car at 3 years just before the warranty ran out. I got the impression they've had a lot of trouble with the 2002 Civic. I got nervous about the car last April and traded for an 03 CRV with 30,000 miles. I wished later I'd traded for a hybred, but now I'm not so sure after reading about the tranny troubles.
  • buckeroobuckeroo Member Posts: 9
    I decided after reading these forums and based on my own experience (one replaced transmission at 60K miles, two different periods of "bucking", and a few other annoyances) to trade in my 2003 HCH for a 2006 Prius. I am very pleased and impressed with this car - particularly the solid feel and quiet cabin. Also, the driving position and seat height are (or seem) higher than the Civic, which I like. Much more room all around and particularly in the back seat. Nice center arm rest in the back seat, too, which is still not an option even in the 2006 HCH. I don't care for the George Jetson style "start" button and the overall space pod exterior, but as hybrids go I think this is the best one for the price. I considered the new Camry Hybrid but the MPG isn't that great and it's the 1st year of that model.
    "I wished later I'd traded for a hybred, but now I'm not so sure after reading about the tranny troubles"

I don't think this is a chronic transmission problem.
    The title of this thread is to post transmission problems and so here they are.
    I work resolving troubles with DSL inter networks and all the troubles I see would be easy for the same conclusion.
    But considering the millions and millions of subscribers isn't really widespread.

I'd bet among all the CVT equipped HCH's Honda produced would be minuscule. Many of the bucking problems owners experience can be resolved with the fluid change which comes with regular scheduled maintenance (as in my own case).
    Many other bucking problems aren't even transmission troubles but an EGR valve which likes to malfunction.
    -Steve
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    I am thankful towards those that do post their troubles as it keeps those of us that haven't been having any troubles aware that there is the potential for problems, and IF we experience them, we might have a better idea as to the problem solution.

I also believe that more people will post their dissatisfaction with a product than those that will post their satisfaction, so we need to keep in mind that what we read here could in fact be a very small sample of the whole.
  • kidciscokidcisco Member Posts: 2
    I drive an 03 HCH with 40k miles. I have the same bucking that others reported. I took it to the dealer today and said "check the EGR Valve first."

They called me this afternoon and said that they flushed the tranny and replaced the EGR valve, but the problem is still there. I'll need a whole new tranny. And my warranty is expired. ***BUT*** they said they'll do it free anyway, and give me a loaner car for the couple days it will take them to install it.

I'm guessing that:
    a) I found the nicest dealer in the country (Cambridge, MA),
    b) Honda is fighting a slump, and knows that with a 4 year old car I'm about to be a repeat buyer, (or not)
    c) there's about to be a major tranny recall, and they're paying for mine now rather than fight with/reimburse me later, or
    d) I'm dreaming.

Regardless, from their handling of this with me so far, I'm pretty sure my next car will be from this dealership.
    My dealer (Clinton Honda in Clinton, NJ) did the same thing for me when my '03 HCH needed a new trans. They did make a point of saying that the freebie was a "one time only" gesture, which I took to mean if the 2nd trans went bad it would be my problem. I was also rather surprised by their post-warranty generosity - not being the loud, pushy type, I probably would have paid the bill and just blamed myself for buying a car in its 1st model year (a rule I broke to get the HCH), but they came right out with the free parts and labor offer. I kind of suspect that Honda knows of a problem that they perhaps do not want to admit publicly or precipitate a recall, so they are addressing it on an individual basis and trying to keep people happy.
  • rkaylorrkaylor Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06 also and my "malfunction" wasn't as bad as yours, but while driving up hills (with the cruise set) the engine will start to race (4500 RPM or so) and I am sure not going any faster. Sure seems like transmission slippage, but I spoke with the local Honda Service department and they said there was no problem. I think they are nuts, but time will tell and I guess the extended warranty may be a grand idea.
  • dwadlingtondwadlington Member Posts: 8
    Since writing that post I have had no further problems with the car. This past weekend I did almost the same trip, although I did not use cruise and the temperature was around 90, not 100.
    What you are describing I think is more about the fact that the main reason our cars get such good mileage is that they have tiny little engines. When coupled with the CVT, particularly when using cruise control, the engines rev high in order to move into the peak power band. This is particularly true going up a hill; the engine must really work to keep up speed.
    Despite my concerns about my slipping problem returning at some point, I must say that I really like the car. Well, at least when my wife lets me drive it.
    I agree that having the extended warranty is a comfort to me.
  • brian1204brian1204 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Civic Hybrid that I bought just 2 months ago. It has 65k miles on it.
    A couple of weeks after I bought it I started hearing and feeling a shudder when starting from stop at any but a very slow acceleration. It got progressively worse so that I took it into the local Honda dealership (Goodson Honda West, in Houston, Texas) who charged me $200 for the transmission fluid 'transfusion', which lessened the affect a little, but not much. Their next solution is to replace the transmission at a cost of $3000.
    Since the affect is only happening at medium to heavy acceleration from stop, I'm not about to lay that kind of money down, especially after reading how common this problem is. It is a design problem that Honda needs to correct through recall.
    We bought a 2002 Prius with 85K miles at the same time as the Civic, and it drives like a dream (although with a bit less pep than the Civic) and gets much better milage (44mpg vs 35mpg, another disappointment with the Civic).
    Any other 2004 Civic owners who have had the problem fixed without a new tranny?
  • georgeinmd2georgeinmd2 Member Posts: 5
    While I find this behaviour hideously annoying, I believe its "normal" within the parameters set by the engine/transmission/computer network. (At least, my '05 does it...) The computer is simply setting what it's been programmed to think is the optimal throttle/gear ratio combination to maintain a prescribed speed while fighting the fell clutch of gravity. Many small engined cars with (oxymoron alert!) "standard" automatic transmissions behave similarly. -- George
  • kidciscokidcisco Member Posts: 2
    New update -

My dealer called me last week and said they had something new to try on my HCH-paulsy. They flushed the transmission while doing a specific break-stand combo (on jacks, in neutral, 10 pumps of specific duration, left right left right B A start).

It triggered some sort of reset, and now the shudder is gone. No EGR Valve replacement, no new tranny. Just fixed.

My dealer said to keep an eye on it, and if I have any problems for the next 10k or so, they'll fix em.

I'm buying a new car for my wife soon. Guess which dealer I'm going to first.
  • james2245james2245 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Civic Hybrid. I bought in with 24,600 miles from Carmax. After purchase I experience the creaking\groan during acceleration from stop on hills. I took the car back and in hindsight should have run. Carmax set the Civic to the local Honda dealer. They did the fluid flush and all seemed fixed.
    Just last month I started hearing the noise again. I figured that a fluid flush was all that was needed and my 60,000 maintenance was due. So I took it into the local Honda dealer. Now I'm told that the flush won't fix the issue. That the start clutch has failed and I will have to replace the entire transmission (rebuilt) for $3,322. I didn't buy the extended warranty so I'm looking at other options for repair.
    When I bought the car it was a long tough decision should I spend a little extra for doing my part to help stop dependance on oil, now I have a black hole, slip shot, shoddy design and a Manufacturer that could care less. I have a '93 Subaru wagon with over 250,000 mile that has had no transmission issues.
    I guess the more high tech things become the less reliable they are.

** Note to self-don't buy the lasted thing, you will only pay for it. **
  • rkaylorrkaylor Member Posts: 3
    With my 2006 Civic hybrid I have put much trust in Honda and am not sure if the company will live up to my expectations or not. I am going to spend the extra money for the extended warranty.
  • jliebelerjliebeler Member Posts: 1
    I just moved to the top of a very big hill. My 06 civic hybrid will not drive up the hill- it uses up the battery and then simply stops- the accelerator is floored and the car won't drive up the hill. Could there be something wrong with the transmission or is it possible the car doesn't doesn't have the power to drive up hills? I'd appreciate any suggestion since I am going to have to sell the car if I can't get the transmission fixed or identify if it is another problem. Thanks.
  • fredheddfredhedd Member Posts: 1
    03 civic hybrid. please let me know if this is the same problem. there is a slight hesitation after putting the car into gear. half a second or more. when crusing at about ten to fifteen miles an hour, i take my foot off the gas but when i reapply it, there is a strong jerk when the tranny engages. i hvae tried disconnecting my egr valve but it is still there. there is also a low vibration or shudder all the way up through about tweny miles an hour. the car doesnt really buck terribly or anything. not like a horse. it's a one time thing and only when the transmission engages or disengages. any information would be extremely helpful. thanks in advance. the car has 70,000 on it.
  • aat3aat3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Honda Civic Hybrid and within 3 days of driving, all the engine (IMA, Battery, gas engine) lights went on. The car started lurching when I took the foot off the gas and shaking when at a stop light. I was getting car sick just driving to work. At 130 miles I took it to the dealership and it was pronounced undrivable. Dealership is ordering a complete new battery system.

My question is, should I run like hell away from this car that is already having so many problems? I want reliability and if I"m already dealing with huge issues at 130 miles, what's to come? Anyone else having serious hybrid issues related to the Civics? Any advice? Anyone ever tried to fight for getting a refund on a car?

Thanks!
    Disappointed customer
    It's unlikely that you could get stuck with a 2nd lemon. I can't think of any auto manufacturer that doesn't have some cases of bad implementation, but most manufacturers do a fair job of limiting them or they wouldn't remain in business long.

Honda appears to be in the top tier of manufacturers in having fewer problems per vehicle, so don't give up yet.

Best of luck to you.
  • buddy15buddy15 Member Posts: 1
    I took my HCH to the dealership for a routine service and to have the dragging sound I hear everytime I accelerate from a complete stop. I was told that I might need a new transmission. The Honda dealer service center flushed the transmission fluid as everyone in this FORUM suggested but the problem is still there. The car only has 65k miles. The customer care at Planet Honda (Union, NJ) told me that I would still need a new transmission and will call American Honda for me to see if I can get some help paying for the transmission since I have only brought my HCH to the dealership for maintenance. Needless to say, the car is still at the dealership. I'm very disappointed with the HCH and I have been a loyal Honda driver. I also checked with American Honda for any recall and found none. :(
  • thunksalotthunksalot Member Posts: 1
    I called up the service department at the Cambridge Honda dealership to ask about the "specific break-stand combo" Kidcisco describes here. It turns out it's the procedure for burnishing the transmission fluid as speficied in the service bulletin. As the mechanic described it to me:

1) flush tranny fluid
    2) Refill with Honda brand CVT fluid
    3) put car on a lift and accelerate to 4k rpm while in drive. Hold for ten seconds. Repeat several times at 2 minute intervals.
    4) flush tranny fluid
    5) Refill with Honda brand CVT fluid

I've had my transmission fluid "burnished" twice now a la the service bulletin's directions with only temporary relief from the shutter problem (about 3k to 4k miles). I'll be interested to see if Kidcisco is back in a few thousand miles to report that the problem has returned.
  • tlancitlanci Member Posts: 2
    Until last Wed, I had no complaints of my 2003 Civic Hybrid. Interstate commuting put 93K on it, it was all maintained with Honda, including 90K ($800) service last month. No major problems: small suspension problem, unfixed jittery dash, and (unreplicated at dealer) cold weather creaking in steering column.

:sick: Last Wed, transmission totally failed, no warning, suddenly acted like it was in neutral. Towed to nearest dealer (50 miles away). First told it was a faulty Cut Input Speed Sensor ($210), replaced, didn't fix it. After tearing apart transmission ($200), they now say the flywheel needs replaced ($?) and won't have part until Friday. I've been in a rental car at my own expense for a week.

:confuse: Has anyone else had this sort of problem? It "bucked" a little at high speeds early on, but that quit, and it didn't have any discernable problems prior to this failure. This "let's patch it together" repair scares me, I don't feel like I can really trust the car any more.

Following advice in these posts, called HondaCares last Wednesday. Today I finally get a return call, NO offers of help, just "sorry you're outside the 36,000 warranty". :mad: Honda "Cares"? Ha. I only got the Hybrid BECAUSE it was a Honda. My mistake. My fourth (and last) Honda will hit the resale lot, and I'll go look at Toyotas.
    Sorry to hear that you're giving up on Honda, unless of course you've have 4 lemons.

All auto manufacturers occasionally have some issues with some of their vehicles. Honda has historically been one of the better ones. Driving a vehicle without a warranty is a risk, and one that is usually an acceptable one for vehicles from certain manufacturers; but, there is still a bit of a risk regardless.

But, good luck on whatever you decide.
  • mchunter78mchunter78 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. While driving my IMA, battery, and check engine light went on. I took it to the dealer who said the car needed a software update and that it wouldn't happen again. Just 4 days later, the same three lights came on. This should not happen at 4,000 miles. I am very disappointed! I'll see what they say this time when I take it in.
  • desmarie1016desmarie1016 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: :lemon: Please address all concerns of power loss and surging due to faulty CVT transmission parts and the EGR valve in the civic hybrid to the national highway safety agency at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ . The following has been copied and pasted from the link.

By Phone

Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

General Information

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.

Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
    I traded my '03 HCH in for an '06 Toyota Prius in June, after my trans started shuddering again. Cleaned out the EGR valve for a temporary fix but didn't want to face a $3500 transmission change (had the first one at 60K with the same symptoms, which Honda graciously paid for but made clear at the time that the next one was my problem).

I am so much happier with this car! It gets better mileage (52 MPG, average vs. 48 for the '03 HCH), is a LOT roomier (fits 4 comfortably and 5 very tolerably - great legroom in the back), and in general feels like a much larger car than it is. I also love the hatchback - much more useful than the Civic trunk. Rear seats fold down to create quite a large load space. My only criticism is the rather poor visibility out the rear window. Now the Prius is more available at dealerships than it had been previously, too. At about the same price as the HCH, I can't see going with Honda unless one is a staunch Honda loyalist.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "At about the same price as the HCH, I can't see going with Honda unless one is a staunch Honda loyalist."

I have never been a fan of the CVT with belts, preferring the Toyota design. I think they would be better off with a 5 speed. Honda usually stresses reliability, and to me the belt design is just not up to standards.

However, maybe they have gotten it right for the 2007 models...

BTW, I drive a 2006 Ford Freestyle, with a CVT (but it has a high strength German manufactured steel CVT chain).
  • kchybridkchybrid Member Posts: 18
    "Honda usually stresses reliability, and to me the belt design is just not up to standards."

I believe Honda knows the '03-'04 CVT in the Hybrid is not up to standards. Read the linked document below, and note the last Section under "Why US Vehicles Not (Recalled) Affected". Too bad US regulations aren't as tough as Japans', then these would be recalled. Your comments please.

http://199.79.180.163/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/Foreign%20Campaigns/2005/F-Cam- paigns/FRCL-05F063-4277.PDF
    Are those ES numbers VIN numbers? Can we figure out by that if our car is affected?
    The ES numbers appear to be VIN numbers.
    My VIN number includes both letters & numbers AFTER the "ES", so I'm not sure that Honda included any Hybrids sold in the US on that particular document. That document may only address the Hybrids sold inside Japan.
  • joanyquejoanyque Member Posts: 1
    Last week I was accelerating onto the freeway in my 2003 Civic hybrid with 75,000 miles on it when my transmision started slipping. The car lurched and the transmission wouldn't catch. Luckily, I was able to safely navigate to the side of the freeway, but then my car was stuck in first gear. I limped off the freeway.

I had my car towed to the nearest Honda dealer, who said I had to replace the start clutch pressure control valve for $550.

(I already had problems 4 months earlier, when the car occasionally lurched and bucked. I had taken it to a different Honda dealer, who claimed that a $237 dollar transmission flush would solve the problem. Of course it didn't, as the car continued to lurch and slide at the stopsign nearest my house.) :lemon:

So, I wasn't willing to pay $550 when I doubted that would fix the problem. So, I called the Honda 800 service number, where the customer service representative told me that I had exceeded the warranty on the transmission, and that, quote, "there was no safety recall" and "there were no known problems on transmissions for 2003 Civic Hybrids." I asked them for the Honda factory rep in my area (Northern CA) and they said I had to call the dealer to get it.

I called the dealer again, and asked for the Honda factory rep. He declined to give me the number. Luckily, I had read this thread, and told the Honda dealer about this thread, and said I thought I needed a new transmission. I said I was not willing to pay $550 to replace one part.

Two hours later the Honda dealer called me and said they would give me a reman CVT transmission, at no charge, with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

They put it in last week and I got my car back over the weekend. So far, there have been no more transmission problems.

So, thanks to this thread, Honda was pressured to help me "in the interest of customer satisfaction." Thank you whoever started this discussion so that all of us across the country can exchange information about our common problems. I can only hope that Honda acts responsibly and replaces all transmissions before someone suffers a serious accident. :(

joanyque
  • avinciguerraavinciguerra Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone -

Quick question: I'm looking into buying an '03 Civic Hybrid from a Honda Dealership, and it looked like it was in great shape... however the dealer just let me know that, as part of the Honda certification process, they are going to have to fully replace the transmission (with a new one) before they sell it to me... I guess it wasn't in all that great shape!.

Do you all think this is
    :

A) A Good thing? (i.e. A "plus" for buying the car, as it will have a brand new transmission, warrenteed under the Honda Certified program up to 100,000, etc), or

B) A Bad thing? (i.e. A "minus" for buying the car, as it indicates that the car has obviously had some problems, perhaps more future problems, etc).

Thanks so much - not too knowledgable about all this - but excited about getting a civic hybrid!

-Anthony
  • ejm04ejm04 Member Posts: 1
    The very same thing happened to me. The warning lights came on and I took it to the dealer and they did the software update. Can you tell me what happened after the second time?

Thanks
  • timothykendertimothykender Member Posts: 1
    I too just took my 2003 HCH in for its 60k check up. I reported that upon morning starts, the CVT transmission will slowly decide that I had put it into gear and after a few seconds will engage unless I hit accelerator. I also reported that the HCH has a rumble sound to it upon take-offs and there are occasional surges when I am driving.

After 2 hours of diagnostics, I was called over to be informed that my "transmission fluid is the wrong kind. Honda has a CVT fluid that should be put in." I told them, I bought it from them IN FEBRUARY with that fluid in it. they should have changed it at that time. They said they would like $185 for a fluid flush as the transmission is failing. I said no, that the car has a warranty against such failures. I won't pay 185 to flush the problem away. If the transmission is going out (as he said it was), then let the extended warranty cover it. I then called the MPP (extended warranty people) and reported the incident to them & was advised to call American Honda, and I did so. They also advised me that "if I am told to do a procedure to the car & I choose not to, then I will void the warranty, so it may be best to do the $185 flush on the bad transmission and so keep the warranty in effect on the failing thing! I expressed that it was ironic that I should have to pay for a service that Honda should provide as part of their continued updates to their technology!

American Honda was very nice to me. Took all the information down and asked, "Why should you pay $185 for a fluid flush that will only push the situation further to the end of your warranty?" I agreed and was told I will have a person call me back in 48 hours to resolve this. I am to go get my car & enjoy it. they said it is new technology, and the bugs are still being worked out, give it time, and things will get better, meanwhile, they will take care of things! If the transmission fails, then they'll tow it in. They also advised me to ask the dealership to check a certain campaign code on an unrelated issue (air bag deployment issues). I noted it and hung up

Next, I call the dealership to advise them of the code for the side air bag. they were aware of it & it does not apply to my car until the light stays on. He then tells me that they flushed my transmission, and that it turns out the fluid "was the right kind, not to worry about it, and that it has made vast improvements in the handling of the transmission!) I am to pick it up in an hour.

So, I wanted to share with you all of this as I really appreciate the great help this site is for us owners! I'll keep you posted if the flush worked, if Honda replaces the tranny, etc.

Timothy in Phx, AZ
  • fire2020fire2020 Member Posts: 1
    My HCH began bucking a month ago. I brought it in and the dealer told me they received a service note about this back in 10/03. They said the cost of the part is $189 + labor. I asked them if it's covered by Honda. They told me that my car is out of warrantee. It has 39,000 miles and is an 03. I called Honda America and they told me they won't cover it because not enough people have had the problem. Reading the threads, I feel lucky this isn't the transmission, but now I'm concerned that a trany problem may be on the way. Honda America said they haven't heard enough problems to issue a recall or extend the warranty. Please call Honda America if you're having these problems. (800) 999-1009
    Larry :( :mad: :confuse:
    Same thing happened to me, about 3 months out of warranty. I had to get the egr replaced to the tune of $200+. I am also concerned my tranny is next, although I am at 62k and still going smooth. I also have an 03 HCH. Good luck, I'll call and report my problem to honda. :)
    I've been down that road and mine is still bucking today.
    I've had EGR valves replaced, engine & transmission mounts replaced, tranny flushes, you name it, nothing has cured this problem. In my opinion the design is flawed. My best guesses at the REAL problem: Torque Converter Solenoid or Linear Shift Solenoid hanging-up or possibly an incorrectly machined flywheel?? In my opinion Honda is not telling their dealers what the "real" problem is and we all get to pay for their service departments trial & error approach to our problems, without ever getting a lasting solution. I am convinced that these transmissions are defective. :lemon:
  • tunes77tunes77 Member Posts: 5
    Today I was coasting in autostop down a big hill in stop and go traffic (as I have hundreds of times before) and when I let off the brake around 30 mph at the bottom of the hill the engine started racing and ithe CVT seemed stuck at a ratio that got me to 35 mph at redline. I nursed it to the next exit with many people lining up behind and made it off the freeway.

It persisted until I shut down and restarted. Of note, the battery charge was down to 2 bars-I'd never seen it that low. And I had been running AC. Anyone had this type of thing?

Thanks...I otherwise love the car-it's my 2nd, I traded in an 03
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Ive been very interested in buying a Hybrid...considering i drive every week..to and from Phoenix to So cal...390 miles each way?....should i be leary?...or just by the best gas mpg car i can find?. Advice please
  • doradodorado Member Posts: 7
    Having bought a second hand Honda Civic Hybrid (2003 model) and having had a transmission failure at about 36,000 miles, I would personally be reluctant to buy the Civic Hybrid: the Prius sounds like a better bet and as I understand gets better mileage. I am committed to the Civic Hybrid I have since I had to buy a new transmission for about $2,000 and would lose a lot of money if I were to sell now. Just hope transmission holds up.