Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser Navigation System

Comments

• vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    The disc has to stay in whatever system you plan on using it in.

If indeed you want to keep her disc in your LC I do not know if there would be compatibility. There is a very knowledgeable guy on this forum with "Nav" in his signon who--I am sure--can answer that.

Just curious, what do you consider outdated about the 05 system? Is it the map data or the interface?
  • 04cruiser04cruiser Member Posts: 1
    Unbelievable! I also have a 2004 Land Cruiser with the navigation problem of external power lost etc. It was recently diagnosed w/ 106,000 miles on it after a trip to the dealership for brake work. To my knowledge nothing was done with the battery. I was also told almost $6,000 for new replacement unit. After going to a non-dealer he was able to locate a pre-owned unit for a cost of $2350 installed w/ 12 month warranty. I still have not pulled the trigger and after reading all of the posts with the same problem, I must say that I am definitely perplexed. Help.....
  • fmcmanusfmcmanus Member Posts: 2
    I have lost the satellie radio one two and three display on my nav system. I have a2007 landcruiser and after getting sirius to activate my subscription the satellite one two or three will not come up on the display either from the steering wheel control, the radio control or the voice activation control. ever heard of this nav/guy.
  • bhprincebhprince Member Posts: 2
    Try disconnectiog your battery 4 a minute and it will probably reset your Sirius
  • bhprincebhprince Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know where the nav cd is located? dealer doesn't
  • cdo863cdo863 Member Posts: 9
    I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me today. I am sick over it. No one at the dealer had a clue about what to do. I left on the note of they promising to call me in a day or two as they will research the problem.
  • fmcmanusfmcmanus Member Posts: 2
    it is in the unit under the front passenger seat. best access is from the back of the seat.
    Got things straightened out today.

The service dept called Denso about the problem, and were told that I had a disc problem. Back in March of 2010, I updated the NAV/DVD with discs I purchased from a Toyota dealer. Apparently, the system needed the original disc in order to reboot and reload properly. Glad I had the original disc from 2003. The system read the old disc (kind of slowly...) and things looked normal. After a few moments, we ejected the 2003 disc and inserted the 2010 disc. Everything worked, all systems are functioning like new. Whew! Thought I would share this information as it might be helpful to someone. Happy New Year.
  • pobajpobaj Member Posts: 2
    Whilst playing around with navigation maps, I somehow got a Video DVD Disc loaded into the Navigation Map DVD Player.

Since then, all efforts to eject the CD has failed. The screen console is reporting "Unable to read data. Check the map DVD is correct" but selecting the eject icon on the screen does not eject the wrong disc.

Is it possible to get the CD ejected without my having to visit the dealer/garage? Has anyone else had a similar experience that could be of assistance?
  • pobajpobaj Member Posts: 2
    The vehicle came preset for Saudi Arabia but I am currently in Africa and need to have the "time zone" setting changed from "GMT+3" to "GMT".

Currently, the screen console give only 2 options "GMT+3" and "GMT+4" neither of which is suitable.

Can anyone advice how this can be achieved?
    Hm, not sure but I just had an issue when I got a new battery. My unit did not function/would not open/would not read the disc, etc. When I drove the car the next day, after about 15 minutes, the unit opened by itself!! I guess from me pushing the "open" button earlier? For some reason it took the unit a while to "warm up"?? When the unit opened I was able to eject the disc, which was the 2010 Denso update disc. I had to put my original disc back into the unit, let it load, then take it out and put in the updated disc to get things back to normal. Maybe disconnect/reconnect the battery will force your system back to factory settings and allow the CD to be ejected? Let me know if/when you get it out.
  • gumasxgumasx Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2004 LC and would like to install a satellite enabled radio instead of the JBL already installed. I love the sound quality of the JBL but want to listen to XM while on the road.

Has anyone installed a satellite radio without the cumbersome wires and hookups that many post market satellite/ipod hookups require?? If so, what brand and model radio did you use. Did you have any problems?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!
  • donghundonghun Member Posts: 2
    I have same problem today. Could you tell me how you ejected the DVD?
    My car is 2008 Toyota sequoia.

Thanks
  • srusmantijo10srusmantijo10 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I have a cousin who has a 97 LC with a navi systems that controls all electronics (navigation, AC, stereo, radio etc) in Japanese. Is there a way that I can purchase a navi system with English language for 1997 LC (assuming I can find one either at a dealership or junkyard)? The radio uses a different frequency and has a horrible connection. The thing is, he doesn't understand any Japanese, he understand English however. The car was imported to Indonesia directly from Japan. Thank you.

srusmantijo@gmail.com
  • otg8rgrlotg8rgrl Member Posts: 5
    I am upgrading a 2001 Landcruiser's navigation DVD. Any advice on updates? Did yours work? Any problems?
    I didn't see a reply giving advice, but I would check with the company Video Service Stop. They would be able to tell you whether they have fixed this type of problem. We had a disk reading error and sent our part off. It was fixed and sent back and the problem was resolved. Much less than the dealer quoted.
    I bought a new disc and updated it myself. Worked out fine, was simple. I did buy it from a reputable Toyota dealer. I can recommend someone if you'd like. It was simple. Do keep the original disc, though. After a battery change, the DVDNAV would not reboot without the original disc. This was something even the dealer did not know about. Good luck!
  • dwj_42dwj_42 Member Posts: 3
    Do not buy a 'bootleg' replacement DVD....I bought one on Ebay and it didn't work.....I did get a refund. I then bought an upgrade DVD from a Toyota dealer and changed it myself. My LC is a 2002 and the DVD player is under the front passenger seat. Access it from the rear of the seat. Eject the existing DVD and then insert the new one. Works fine.
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    I have an '03 and considered an upgrade--what does toyota charge for a factory nav disc update and is it worth it? A dealer employee thought a garmin is the way to go as the new disc may not provide that much more info/detail. Agree?
    I paid about 200 for my update, about a year ago. I have a 2004, and waited until 2010 to update. (Updates are available every 2 years). It is a matter of preference. The Garmin is fine, so is the Magellin - just make sure you register them on your PC; if you don't, after a few months they won't work. Being portable is a plus if you drive more than one car, use a rental, etc. I decided to upgrade when I noticed I was "off-roading" too much, with new lanes/interchanges that had been built over the last 6 years. After the disc upgrade, I did notice that traffic conditions were more accurate, the system did a better job in re-routing me depending on traffic.
    I never use the voice-commands, so I cannot comment on them. (they annoy me, actually!!)
    One thing I like about the NAVDVD is that the screen is big, and I can split the screen to get a view of the overall route on the left, then the detailed view on the right, or even a "heads up" view.
  • sazizi3sazizi3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Did you buy the get the new version through a dealership?
    I did but the new version thru a Toyota dealership.

Important: Keep your original disc in case you ever need to re-boot the system. I had to do this once in the 8 years I have had my vehicle. Glad I kept it.
  • sdonesdone Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser which has served us reasonably well. We actually bought the car for its navigation system among other things, which was system unusual back then. Now the thing has failed and we are told it is the computer itself that has failed. The dealer wants $6K to install a new computer. Of course we choked. They said we could obtain a used one for $2K. I would wonder about their motives. Of course we are out of warranty with 150,000 miles on the vehicle. Can these computers be repaired or are there one available for somewhat less than the value of my car?
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2011
    From 2006 on or so, you could calibrate our nav and it would hold for a couple of days. Then it would drift off having you 100's of miles from where you actually were.

I tried a nav disk out of our 2005 4Runner which was compatible but that did not help. I broke down for one of my wife's Christmas presents last year (romantic, no?)a nd bought the "disk player" (under the passenger seat part) from an ebay seller (toyolexnavspec). Installed it(easy)and it solved my problems.

The seller was negotiable (about 20% off) and guaranteed my money back if it did not fix my problems. Good luck with yours.
    If you go through this thread you will find that someone in the past named a service that repairs these things. I think it was somewhere in New Jersey, but not sure. Of course it would be helpful to get info from someone who had the repair done by them to ensure they have a track record.

I am curious about what happened. Did it simply not come on one day? Had you changed your car's battery around the time of the problem? And do the other functions of the video interface--like the audio and hvac controls and trip info--work?

Good luck in getting it fixed.
    Our oldest and responsible daughter borrowed the car, so the details are sketchy, but she said that it just failed to open one day after driving on a somewhat bumpy gravel road. Now it just reads, "No disc found." There is a disc, even a current one, but after having it checked out at the dealer, they came to the conclusion that the computer had failed, charged us $117 and said we could purchase a new one for $6K or a used one for $1200 to 2500 or so. I find rebuilt ones on the Internet for 2004 Land Cruisers, but none for one as old as 2002.
    Interesting. It would be reassuring to know that they disconnected and reconnected the wiring harness for the disc reading unit under the front passenger seat and removed, inspected and carefully replaced the disc.

But back to my original question: do the other functions that the computer controls and displays on the screen like audio, hvac and trip info work? (I am assuming that you have roughly the same interface as a 2005, where there are many more functions to that screen besides the nav display).

If so, I would start by finding a replacement for the disc reading unit under the seat and see what that yields. I imagine that could be purchased used for much less than the computer.
    Your assumptions are correct in that everything else works, DVD, climate control, audio, just the disc reader seems to be out of whack. Do you know if the so-called computer and disc reading unit for the navigation system under the front passenger seat are separate units? The dealer seemed to indicate that they were one and the same. Interesting that only the navigation system has failed. I reads that no disc is detected. Ejecting and replacing my disc did nothing. They checked it and said the computer had failed and said that they had never seen that happen on any of their cars in their experience. Good to be a first.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I have a 2002 LC had the same problem no dics found. I to went to the dealer 5k for a new one. I took my unit out and shipped it to these guys that I saw here in a thread. I looking for my invoice but the cost to look at it was 149.00 I think parts and labor was no more than 300.00 It was around 250.00. Going on 2 years no problem works like new.

Audio & Video Service Stop

Audio & Video Service Stop
    316 Washington Street
    Weymouth, MASS 02188
    800-838-3394
    info@videoservicestop.com
    I don't know for certain that the computer serving all those audio, video and other functions does not exist in that unit that contains the disc under the seat, but I would be very surprised if it did. I imagine it would take some time and persistence, but it would be worth trying to find some knowledgeable person at some level in Toyota (bound to be hard to do that by just calling in...but probably possible), or at some other Toyota dealer's parts or service departments to get an idea of where the failed function resides. Parts guys can be a great resource because they have access to service manuals also and they are usually not busy.

I would also give those guys in Mass. mentioned in the thread above a call to see how knowledgeable and familiar they sound with the system. Pick their brains.

This type of failure has happened to others in association with changing the battery of the car. Also, you may try on some other dedicated LC forum like iH8mud for others advice in resolving this.

Good luck and PLEASE post back when you get this resolved as to what you did. If I see anything else on this I will post here.
  • krautnribskrautnribs Member Posts: 4
    I was playing around with my Nav system going into the mode to get the over ride. I noticed on one of the menus that there were a list of maps so I clicked on the first one which is Japanese. Now it says insert new disk, obviously I don't have one. What I can't do is get back to the original system. Now I can't get the menu button is dead, only have partial use of my blue tooth, and can't get back to the screen with the volume icon to get back where I screwed up. I've learned my lesson don't play with toys I have limited know ledge about. :sick:
    I just received in the mail today an offer from Toyota to buy the Autumn 2011 Navigation Disc release (version 11.1) for a "New Lower Price of $169".

I have an '05 LC with the original disc.

Having never updated the disc, I was curious to know if anyone who has done it in the past has encountered any glitches or wishes they hadn't.

It may seem like an odd question, but if you are familiar with some of the posts on this part of the forum related to the Nav system crashing and how big of a problem it is to recover from, I would hate to do anything that has even the most remote chance of causing a big problem.

Thanks.
    I would do it. I upgraded my 2004 in 2010! That price is very good, and some dealer send out 20% off coupons for parts, so that would be sweeten the deal. I paid 189 or 199...
    It is very easy; literally take out the original disc, insert the new one. Your addresses should still be there, but you might have to choose the area/zone and the screen setting. Keep the original disc, though, in case the system needs rebooting. I had to do this after a battery change, when the dealer disconnected the unit.
  • arkansas01arkansas01 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to see if anyone might have some advice for me about this... We have a 2001 LC with what we have been told is the Gen 2/3 Navigation unit. We wanted to update our disk, and did so this past summer. The problem is that when they put the new disk in, the POI buttons and putting a destination no longer work. The whole system seems to take forever, like it is an old computer that you are loading some type of new program on. The dealership doesn't seem to have a clue as to what is wrong. They have sent the disk back and gotten a new one to try, thinking it was some type of disk error. Our nav unit was working perfectly until the new disk was loaded. Also, they don't tell you up front, that once the new disk is loaded, they can't just put the old one in and it works again. Now NOTHING works!! We paid $200 to have a non-functioning nav unit. Trying to see what I can find out from dealership and corporate. What infuriates me more, is nobody can tell me that they have seen this particular unit accept the updates. Has anybody out there had this unit and had a successful upgrade? I believe our new disk was the Generation 10 disk.
    Ouch. That was exactly what I was worried about.

You say it was a 2011 model with a Gen 2/3 system?
  • studawgstudawg Member Posts: 2
    I am having this problem too. I googled it and saw a Toyota technical service bulletin saying to cycle the ignition key from on-off-on. This is actually my uncle's 2007 and its not here yet to try that. navguy do you know anything about this??
    It is a 2001 LC with a Gen 2/3 system. We purchased the DVD directly from a toyota dealership. They have tried a replacement disk, and contacted Denso for a "repair" disk. Toyota is still working with us to try and resolve. $200 for a non-functioning navigation system. At least it plays the map. I wanted to let people know about this, so if they purchase the disk they make sure that the buttons to get to the destination and POI buttons work before leaving the dealership!
  • gussycatgussycat Member Posts: 1
    Purchasing an '02 LC. The one and only flaw I can find is that the nav system will not take a destination. I spoke with a Toyota tech and was told that he was not aware that only that particular inability of the system would malfunction and that the problem would have to be deeper than that. Although it's not all that important to me, I would like to find out what the problem is and whether or not it would be worth the expense.
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    sounds expensive to repair an old/nearly outdated nav system.
    use your smart phone and/or purchase the latest Garmin nav--less $ and more reliable
    I have now had my navigation computer in the hands of audio video stop in Mass since my last post. They returned it to me supposedly fixed and upon installing it, it still did not work. They asked me to send it back to them which I did and we are now going on 6 months and still no computer. The amount of money spent on shipping alone would have purchased a stand alone navigator like Garmin or such.
    They said recently that they would send the unit back and refund my money, but we have seen none of that.

My latest communication with them now suggests they think they have solved the dilemma of repair and plan to have it done shortly. I will post more if the unit works or fails. Truthfully, I am not very hopeful.
    My guess is that they updated the navigation at the dealership before they sold it. This was our problem. It was like Toyota wasn't even aware that their "upgrade" wasn't going to be handled in that model of GPS. I have been talking to customer service.
    Well that really stinks. :mad:

I'm curious if the navigation computer was just the device under the seat that contains the disc or something that you had to remove from somewhere else in the car?
  • sid25sid25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2003 LC w/ 77k miles. Last week I started it up and Navigation screen read
    "disk read error, please check disk".
    We haven't been experiencing any other problems. My husband tried to eject the disk under the seat but it won't eject disk. Not sure what to do. We are looking for some suggestions before bringing it to Toyota and paying fee for diagnostics.
    Thanks
    We sent our computer from our 2002 LandCruiser to Audio and Video Service Stop in Weymouth MA. They claimed to have fixed the computer and sent it back to us, but it did not work and they told us to send it back which we did. All this costs money for shipment. They have now had it for 8 months and all calls to them have been futile as far as return of the computer, refund of money or anything satisfactory. In the meantime we have purchased a Garmin navigator for less than it cost us to send the other back and forth and certainly less than the cost of repair which did not work. It actually works better than the original so I am not too displeased, but out a bit of money to Audio and Video "Service" Stop.
    This is exactly the error that we received, and sent ours into Video Service Stop. They fixed it and sent it back to us. I would suggest calling them, and telling them the year of your navigation unit. They may ask for some information on the box itself. They can pretty much tell you if it is one that is regularly repaired in the store. I know there have been some negative comments pertaining to the company, but they really were great to work with. I would not even take it to Toyota...they will diagnose and tell you it is $2200. Video service stop will even tell you how to get out the box to send it. I think they may have kept other people's units for extended periods of time because they are determined to learn how to fix each unit. Before I sent ours in, I found some website that spoke highly of them and told the history about how they got into the business.
    The only other words of advice I have, is once it is fixed, don't always press the "accept" on the screen. Keep the screen black if you don't need the map. Apparently, I have been told, this does not over use the lazer. It may make it last longer.
  • studawgstudawg Member Posts: 2
    When my uncle had the problem with his satellite in his 07 Land Cruiser, he called the Toyota dealer, they referred him to an independent audio installation shop in the area that they outsource everything to. They told him that they were going to have to take everything out of the car by stripping the interior and put in a new tuner, receiver etc.... I told him that sounds crazy.

So I told my uncle to bring the car by my house. I disconnected both the negative AND postive terminals on the battery and left them disconnected for at least 10 minutes. I then hooked it back up and everything worked fine.

I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT WHEN ANYONE HAS ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THIS, TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY COMPLETELY TO RESET ALL THE ELECTRONICS. Disconnect BOTH cables and leave them disconnected for a short time, so any memory gets reset as well.
  • otabrabotabrab Member Posts: 1
    What did you end up doing? I have a 2007 that reads the same message. I called Video Service Stop and the number seems to be disconnected. Is there anyone else that can solve this problem?
    Alas, they The outfit in Massachussets, have my money and my unit, the computer from under the seat and I have nothing. They claimed to have repaired it, sent it back to us and I installed it and it still did not work. I asked them what to do and they suggested sending it back which I did at my expense yet again.
    Countless emails, telephone calls and such were of no avail and now their number is not in service and they answer to no inquiry.
    I am out my $385 or so that I sent them, the money to ship it back and my computer.
    In the meanwhile I have a Garmin GPS that I use that is actually superior to the original unit and I like it fine. I should have done that in the first place and avoided all the expense and fuss since the unit cost less than the projected repair by Video Service Stop and the money I lost. I certainly think that the Toyota dealers repair or replacement is a total rip-off and would not go that route unless you are still under warranty. They want a whole lot more for the computer than it is worth and the rest of the functions other than navigation still work even without the unit in the car.
    I hope this information is of use to you.
  • 7turns7turns Member Posts: 2
    The Garmin GPS might be an option for part of the system, but it also controls the heat & air conditioner on my 2004 Land Cruiser, so that won't work for me. Searching for a used unit.
  • 7turns7turns Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same issue with my 2004 LC. Now that I have read it on here, mine issues may have started after replacement of the original factory battery this summer. I'm searching for a used replacment. Do I need part #86111-60250, the LCD Navigation unit 03-07 or part #86841-33060, the Navigation & CD Drive 01-05 or part#86841-50090, Navigation & CD Drive 01-07 ?