Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 4x4 Questions

bob7198bob7198 Member Posts: 2
My 2000 G M C 1500 electric shift to 4wheel drive works just part of the time. probably trouble with the shift motor at transfer case ? also the right running light burns out every few weeks and the socket is badly burnt.

Comments

• ldmcmahanldmcmahan Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a problem I just had fixed. Turns out the switch in the dash was bad on my truck. It would go out of 2wd into 4wd or 4wd low on its own. Originally thought it was the motor on the transfer case but after having it checked out electronically, it was the switch.
  • sega4343sega4343 Member Posts: 1
    hey idmcmahan how much did it cost you for the switch? I seem to have same problem ....truck seems to go in and out of 2wd and 4lo I have 99 sierra 1500
  • cowboycadillaccowboycadillac Member Posts: 3
    I've been wanting to lift my truck (6"suspension, 2" body) but i notice that a lot of available lifts are for k1500's WITHOUT auto-track 4x4 and non-2 piece drive shafts. I drive a 1995 silverado Z71 ext. cab with the 5.7L engine. i haven't gotten underneath and looked due to a tight schedule so i have no clue what to look for and i'm guessing that its probably a specific year range that those two things fall into, can anyone possibly tell me what year or if my truck even has those things?
  • mmscottmmscott Member Posts: 1
    Good luck getting it fixed and keeping it fixed. I have a 2005 Silverado Crew cab with 55000 miles. I replaced the switch on the transfer case twice the dash switch once and the control module for the 4x4 and mine is still putting itself into auto 4 wheel drive when I start it. I have also had to replace the heater control already.
    I would not recommend another Chevrolet to anybody. I am almost ready to trade off for a Toyota or Ford. This is the worst vehicle I hae ever owned.
  • chew36chew36 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 chev with the auto trac transfer case in it, the clutch inside the transfer case has been burnt up and now when i put it in 4 wheel under a load it doesn't spin the front tires. It is a 500 dollar kit to fix it i am told, i am also told that i cannot remove this transfer case and replace it with a manual floor shift one due to the computer. Is this true? If so what does it do to the computer, just bring a trouble code up, or does it actually do something to the truck? any info would be great.
  • gbilletgbillet Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 silverado z-71 ext.cab.in temps below 40deg. there seems to be a drag or loss of power.goes away in warmer temps.i think it might be the front diff. but am not sure if i should put the syn. stuff in.the dealer recommends the 80-90 still.any ideas on what else to look at before i go trying the syn. stuff
  • yamahogyamahog Member Posts: 2
    Like everyone else, my 4x4 Tbox is acting up.Does anyone have a punch list to trouble shoot the probblem?I dont want to just start buying parts.I fix elevators for a living so using meter is no biggy,also own factory manuals,And have spent a good part of my life twisting wrenches.
  • estampleyestampley Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the real differences between the different suspensions offered by Chevy on the 2007 models. I know the Z71 has heavier shocks, etc. But I am mostly curious about the Z60. What exactly does "performance" suspension mean? I am about to order a new truck and will mostly do road driving but will occasionally get off road. Will the Z60 be able to handle that? I do like the 20" rims but don't want to sacrifice toughness to get it. Thanks for any advice.

Eric
  • stoneypghstoneypgh Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an '03 Silverado 4X4 xcab short bed 8.1/Ally.

Would like to know if anyone has done a 2/4 lowering job
    on a similar truck, who could give me some info on a kit, etc.
  • tbar32tbar32 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Z71 silverado extended cab with push button 4 wheel drive and when i push the button in never fully engages the front driveshaft will spin but never lock in the front i was told it could be the actuator but i changed that and nothing still doing the same thing does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong thanks its winter here now and im kinda missing the four wheel drive
  • ak_gringoak_gringo Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to hear some insight to that as well, I recently ordered a new Silverado and opted to go with the Z60 suspension but I haven't been able to find any more detail on what the "high performance" really means.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    I'm borrowing a family members 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 reg cab short bed (I think) with 81k miles and the 6cyl engine for the winter.

Up to what speed can I switch between 2wd and 4wd high?

The steering is a little loose on center... I can waggle the steering wheel a few inches either way on center without the vehicle veering left or right, is this "loose" steering normal with these trucks? I used to own a 99 Ford Ranger and the steering was alot tighter...

Finally, there's a little shimying in the steering wheel at cruising speeds... the truck was aligned a few months back, so I guess that could be unbalanced tires, bad tire pressure, or that it needs re-alignment right?

Thanks!
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    Error code: 0323 T-Case Lock Circuit Low
    Parts Repaced: Dash Switch and 4WD Frt Axle Actuator

Current Symptoms:
    1. Defaults to 4HI after I switch the ignition on 5 sec off 5 sec then on 10 sec.,will also switch to Auto 4WD.
    2. Depressing dash buttons runs 4WD Frt Axle Actuator with whining then vibrating grinding noise at end of cycle. Acts like the actuator is trying to shift gears but overloads, then shuts down when trying to switch to 2Hi or 4Low.

I Checked fuses, left side drivers door and ATV under hood, OK.

Low Fluid level possible ?

PART NUMBER LISTING BELOW
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
    GM PART # 15709327 - SWITCH DASH/IP $50.00 APX.
    GM PART # 26060073 - ACTUATOR PART NUMBER $84.57
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    According to the slick-n-glossy Silverado brochure:

Z83 Solid Smooth Ride: rear twin tube shocks and 32mm front stabilizer bar. This suspension offers the softest ride.
    Z85 Handling/Trailering: rear monotube shocks and 34mm front stabilizer bar.
    Z71 Off Road: rear monotube high pressure gas shocks and 34mm front bar. Also includes jounce bumpers, skid plates, high capcity air cleaner, and locking rear diff.
    Z60 High Perf.: rear monotube shocks and 36mm front bar.
    Max Trailering Pkg.: same as Z60 plus high capacity rear springs. Best for towing large trailers.

Hope that helps.
  • fsurob4fsurob4 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 97 z-71 suspension lift kit dynomax exhaust, and 36 inch irok radials. Dude took real good care of the truck, it has 139000 miles, but they are from driving 20 miles to work then 20 miles back home every day. The other night me and my buddies decided to go out the spot and hang with some friends(17 years old, still in high school, NC), well i put it in 4wd
    and might have gone a little to hard because it was night and i under estimated the whole but it wasnt bad at all. Well i hit the whole and bounce twice and everything just goes out lights radio every thing i was wondering if anyone new what this was, about 1 min later it turned right back on and cranked like a chevy does quick and easy and drives fine. I would appriciate some feed back, thanks.
  • fsurob4fsurob4 Member Posts: 5
    It was also the first time taking this truck off-road, so it has never done this before.
  • 351suckazz351suckazz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 1500 with push botton 4wd. the lights on all 3 buttons continiously flash together and it won't engage in high or low 4wd. does anyone know what the hell is wrong? my best friend is a gm mechanic and he can't even figure this one out
    4wd repair is a black hole. As you say the mechanics that do the repair don't know what is going wrong until they check every part ivolved. this usually adds up to $$$$.$$ i have a 99 it does go into 4hi at startup. when i select 2hi it overloads(all light go out) it defalts to 2wd. when i shut off the engine, then start it again it goes to 4hi (everytime). i have repalced the 4wd actuator, i think the encoder is the problem for mine, waiting on the part to come into stock $250.00 apx. sorry I could not help, i guess i needed to vent, still frustrated.

this is the best place i have found for parts price: autopartsdirecttoyou.com

good luck !
  • northernlit420northernlit420 Member Posts: 3
    I got an 07 silverado classic crew cab, with the ls2 package. which for standard features says i got z85 suspension for handling and trailering and the solid smooth ride... which i dont quite get which do I have? The ride seems to be quite bumpy so if i do have the z85 suspension is it possible to put z71 shocks on the truck and have that improve the ride?
  • cooperbikercooperbiker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 with push button 4WD, when i put my truck into 4WD i can hear it shifting and my gears get lower but i have no power to my front wheels(i fround this out after i was stuck in the mud) i have the lower gears but no power to front wheels, anybody had a problem like this?
  • harley1970harley1970 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Chevy 1500 and have been getting a service 4wd warning message. I have changed the oil in both axles and the transfer box. Does anyone know what the heck I am supposed to 'Service' now???
  • johndeer9400johndeer9400 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same light flash on my pickup as well. I have a 2002 Chevy Z71. I would only see if flash once when I started my pickup but it would not come on and stay on like the other warning lights for changing engine oil or low washer fluid.
    I was like you and I changed the front and rear differential fluids along with the xfer case. I believe that the manual says something possibly with the xfer case and that my have to do with the fact that the Z71s have the automatic xfer case or the auto 4wd button. The last time it came on I changed the front differential fluid and hasn't come on since.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Is there a sensor in the system ?

That is interesting. :surprise:

Rocky
  • southernstylesouthernstyle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 z71 and that message always comes on did you ever find out why or what it is? southernstylesc@hotmail.com
  • sly4isly4i Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, my sevice 4wd light was on. I had taken it to a local transmission repair shop and I was informed that my transfer case connectors were corroded and was not getting a good connection, so whenever it would rain or snow my service light was on. After repairing this and $450.00 later. The service light still persisted to come on. So I went to a GM dealer and bought a new switch, this finally fixed the problem. hope this helps everyone. Major suggestion given "check the switch first it is only $65-$70 brand new.
    Thanks for the heads up!!...I will try the switch first. I also spoke with a couple of buddies who work for GM electrical and they suggested replacing the switch also. Interesting about the connectors on the transfer box...I think I will clean them up just in case and spray them with a protective coating, if nothing more might save me $450 later on.
  • denncat22denncat22 Member Posts: 1
    You need to try and change your transfer case control switch.
  • kegabearkegabear Member Posts: 5
    i have a 1996 silverado,bought from a friend .he never had a problem at all.ive had it 18 months and put 30,000 on it with no problems...has 110,00 on it now...90,000 of it is all hwy miles
    on the way to work a couple days ago at 75 mph the 4wd just kicked in by itself..couple loud bangs seconds later came from the front wheel area.
    anyone ever have this happen?
    was stuck in 4wd for 10 minutes or so till i finally got it out into 2wd then pulled the fuse for the tranfer case so i could make it to work.
    just had 2 front tires put on..slightly different from the rear..heard this could be the problem as you need to match them perfectly.
    asked 5 diff friends and got 5 diff answers.
    also isnt there some kind of failsafe so this wont happen if it happens to be a short in the switch?
    drove it home with the fuse pulled (about 50 miles) with no noises..seems to be ok but im afraid to put the fuse back in till i find the exact problem.
    has an automatic tranny.
    I'd look at the dash switch, the transfer case solenoid that controls the 4WD, and the solenoid that controls the engagement of the front differential. I think there's less chance of a problem with the tires. Factory spare tires are often smaller than the others - if that was the problem you'd hear a lot more about problems like you're having.

Did it shift into 4Hi or 4Lo? If it was 4Lo, then the problem is not in the front diff. - the diff. doesn't have two speeds.

Once you figure it out and do the repair, make sure you take it offroad and put it through the paces to make sure there was no damage. You don't want to find out when you really need 4x4 and it's not available.

1offroader
    it kicked into 4 hi..i have unplugged the solenoid and will take it out for a test once i have replaced the parts...tough to tell which one malfunctioned so i guess to be safe i'll replace them all..i know its all in sync but dam..should be some kinda failsafe speed so it doesnt kick in above like 50-60 mph
    thanks for your help!
  • brodie17brodie17 Member Posts: 2
  • brodie17brodie17 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Silverado Z71 ext. cab. and just recently the 4wd system has been acting up...

I have the AutoTrac system and when I go to turn the truck on, sometimes it says it is in 4wd, auto or neutral. It then tells me to service 4wd, no other lights are on and I'm not turning on anything...

Most the time it is normal and in 2wd when I turn it on.

Mechanically the sytem works like normal when I want to go 4wd I just push the button as normal and it works...
  • contractorkevcontractorkev Member Posts: 2
    Mine is 2004, but does the same thing. Have had it fixed twice under warranty (now out of warranty)and happening again. There is a Tech service bulletin on this, your mechanic friend should be able to pull it up on his computer
  • jsorensenjsorensen Member Posts: 7
    I noticed today that my transmission was in 4H as I was driving down the freeway. Not sure how it got there and not sure how many miles I drove it this way. Is this an issue with this knob? Further, have I damaged the vehicle?
  • geno57geno57 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 gmc 1500 4x4 it makes a whining noise at any speed it gets louder at highway speeds and the truck has 214,000 miles
    geno57

You've probably got a bad bearing somewhere but without more info. it is impossible to diagnose. Could be wheel bearing, transmission, transfer case, rear diff. Does it vary with vehicle speed or engine speed? Example: If it's a power steering pump it will make the noise under the hood even though the vehicle isn't moving. Rev the engine with the hood up and listen. If there is no noise it is somewhere in the drive train. You could put all 4 corners up on jack stands, have someone put the truck in Drive, and listen to each wheel bearing as the wheels turn, and crawl around underneath and see where the noise is coming from - transmission, transfer case, etc. Be careful with that, make sure the truck is secure before doing anything like that, and don't get any loose clothing near any spinning items in the drive train. Even if you find the location of the noise it might not be something you can repair yourself unless you are very sophisticated, in which case you probably already know what I've just told you. Good luck.

1offroader
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    2004 Sierra auto. manual 4x4 shift on the hump.
    I have been told,and the manual says that i can "shift on the fly" from 2 wd to 4wheel high at any speed below something like 45 miles per hour,and back. When i try to shift from 2 wheel to 4 wheel at say 25 mph ,its like shifting a standard tranny without the clutch.
    I guess i'm expecting that the S.O.F. to be smooth. Truck has done this since new, especially when cold. Manual says you can shift while truck is in motion.
    Thoughts from 4x4'rs appreciated.
  • djm10djm10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 2500 crew cab duramax 4x4, my father in law has the same truck and my brother in law has a 2001 2500 crew cab 4x4 with the 8.1l in it and we all have had problems with front wheel hub assemblies going out. both me and my father in law have replaced both sides twice in 46K miles on our trucks and the othe truck one set. All the trucke have 4" Rancho lifts and 305-70-16 tires of different brands.The bearing are National brand that we've been using(National beening a repitable company). Has any body had the same problems or can you refer me to another site to discuss this, Thanks.
  • jasper12jasper12 Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts on what will happen to the new boxed frames that cannot drain well or be readily flushed out, after several years on the heavily salted roads of the Northeast?
  • conclutchaconclutcha Member Posts: 4
    I Changed the Actuator but the 4X4 Wont Luck In. Someone told me that it has another switch but I cant find it Please Help.
    I have a 1999 GMC 2500 just had the wheeling bearings replaced by the dealer at 90,000 apx miles. Cost $1000

Also sector shaft bearing in the transfer case replaced again by dealer $ 610. The sector shaft connects the transfer case motor.

Personally my opinion, with the thousands of dollars I've spent on 4wd repair and the additional cost to the truck purchase for auto 4wd.

GM should go back to manual shift, they cannot seem to get it right.
    my 1999 gmc 2500 has a transfer case motor that shifts the 4wd as well as the actuator on the front axle.

it could be the actuator motor on the transfer case that is your problem or it could be my most recent problem the sector shaft bearing in the transfer case.
  • conclutchaconclutcha Member Posts: 4
    Thank you For Your Info I Will Look At Some To Look For This Parts
  • jspillersjspillers Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to the board, and have looked for a similar problem as mine, but can not find one.
    I have a 2005 Z 71, with push button, 4WD, and the "auto" mode. I drive in 2wd, 30 minutes, 75mph, each way to work. Tranny works fine (with chevy's normal rough shifting) The other day I noticed the red light next to "neutral" was on instead of the amber light next to 2 Hi. The truck was running fine, and when I pushed the 2wd button, amber flashed for a few seconds, and went off. I pulled over, shut off the motor, restarted, and it apperantly reset. I thought life was good. Now I have noticed the red light on three more times, and it doesn't reset by simply restarting. It is very random when it is on, or off.

Any simmilar stories or advice?
  • jaron22jaron22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4wd 1999 Gmc sierra 1500 and for some reason there are no push buttons in the dash. Does anyone know where i can buy any?
  • gbilletgbillet Member Posts: 2
    good thing i wasnt waiting on some help from you people never mind,i will figure it out on my own
  • my2002z71my2002z71 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on ! My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on !My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on !My 4x4 buttons do not work, and the 4x4 service light is on. I press the 4x4 buttons on the dash, and the 4x4 does not engage. Also my ABS light is on. It happened when the towed my vehicle. I am trying to work it out with the towing company.
  • boso56boso56 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 04 GMC Sierra 2500 that was rolled over, after replacing the roof and other body damage (no damage to the front, rear or under carriage) I tried to engage the 4 wheel drive, the blinking lights tells me that it is engaged in 4 wheel drive. I hear it engaging in the transfer case, but the front axles do not engage. I purchased an actuator and installed it. It did not make any difference. On the highway it runs perfectly and quietly. Can you offer any suggestions on this matter?