Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 4x4 Questions

Comments

• wv_hillbillywv_hillbilly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 88 silverado 4x4, 350, auto trans. The rear top shock mount broke due to rust. any suggestions of where to locate replacements? Ive called everyone here in West Virginia and Im told its a dealer item only. I cant afford $102.88 for just one mount and I need to go ahead and replace the other one as well. Surley someone out there sells the mounts for a bit more reasonable price!?!
  • 77bernie77bernie Member Posts: 1
    Help

I drained the transfer case oil in my 99 Chevy 4x4 Silverado auto trans 5.3 engine 1/2 ton truck

There were 2 compartments one with the drain and fill plugs to the rear of the transfer case

and another drain in the front bottom of the transfer case ---- where is the fill point for this one and what oil do I use

Your help is greatly appreciated
    Bernie
  • stevenswainstevenswain Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 chevy z71 the 4wd will not lock in i replaced the 4wd actuator the tranfer case locks in but the front end dnt do u think im not getting power to the actuator when it went out i smelled something like it was burning but idk what that was the dealer said the actualtor was bad thats y i got a new one and i dnt know where to check the fuilds if u can tell me something it might will help me out. if i put it in 4wd the back tires will tork down thats all it will do the front end will not lock in
  • circuit1circuit1 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the other day the red light on my 4x4 switch panel was on and when I pressed 2WD or 4WD the engaged indicator light for those switches just flashed. Later the red indicator went out. anyone know of this indicator light and what may have happened?
  • justgettinbyjustgettinby Member Posts: 1
    "Actuator" It is a electronic piece that tells the front end to kick in. A new one will run you around 80 bucks on a GM and you can always buy a used one from a junk yard for 35 - 40 bucks. It takes 10 minutes tops to change it and all you need is a cressent wrench. This information is all from experience on a late model GMC Z71. I hope it helps!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I have an '08 Silverado 1500 (non-Z28) that came with some fairly unagressive all season tires. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best replacement tire that would deal well with snow, ice, and highway driving?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm assuming you mean non-Z71.

I've always installed Michelin LTX M/S on my trucks after the stocks wore out and sometimes much earlier.

However, while visiting tirerack looking for tires other than the Michelins I stumbled upon these and picked up a set after reading their survey results which were stellar.

Firestone Destination A/T

After 5K miles, they are everything that their survey results say they are.
  • jvertreejvertree Member Posts: 1
    my transfer case started makinf a thumping noise sounded like a u joint ggoing out i just replacrd the rear u joint and thought another was going out i dont know what is inside the transfer on this one i am only familar with the 208s i n a 84 chev can you tell me what it might be it still works great in 2 and 4 low and high thanks
  • gwhitneygwhitney Member Posts: 1
    I have the electric shift and I hear it change to all positions, It also appears to be working, however when I have it in 2 WD is the front drive shaft supposed to be turning all the time or is it supposed to be disengaged. I had my wife move it in the drive way and it turned both in forward and reverse. I also tried to turn it by hand just to see if it might be free wheeling. It is not. It is either engaged at the transfer case or at the front axle. Is this normal? It all stared to concern me when the service 4wd light came on. It has happened twice now and goes off when I restart the truck. Both times I was driving in 2WD.
    there were no codes / messages logged in the computer when it was checked.
  • 1976chev4x41976chev4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1976 GMC long bed 4x4 and it has new warn lockers the 4x4 was working great then one day i was going to go riding and i locked the hubs and shifted in low range and just the backs spun any ideas :mad:
  • petre15petre15 Member Posts: 1
    my control for the 4x4 stopped working.went out and bought a new controll and still the light will not come on.if anybody knows if there is a another problem just let me know
  • basgmc08basgmc08 Member Posts: 3
    I want to put dci controls on my 2008 gmc and was wondering if i could just buy the parts, without having to programing the computer?
    Are you asking about this?

DIC

If so, yes you can order the part, install it and it will work with no programming needed. However, sorry to say it is on national back order. Guess it's a popular thing to do.

There may be another source that has it. Try checking here:

DIC switch
    Thank you! The dealership didn't know if it would even work! What about dual climate will it be the same way plug n play so to speak?
    I'm not absolutely positive on this but as I remember the pin out on the backside of the dual is different. Not doing so would make it way too easy for people to upgrade.
    thanks
  • airtindiairtindi Member Posts: 1
    My truck has had some weird stuff going on lately, The speedo was working intermitenly and the 4x4 worked when the speedo worked now the speedo is dead, the odometer is dead and the truck wont shift into 4x4, Anyone have any ideas?
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    For sure you have an electrical short, start out by checking all your fuses, your manual will show where the fuse boxes are. bb

The back of the insteerment cluster has a main power supply plug that supplies power to the inst. cluster as I recall the power to 4wd is independent from the inst.cluster power supply. This makes me think it could be a main ground short.

There are a number of ground straps from the engine to the frame all tying back to the battery ground.

You need a volt meter
    The cluster is easily removed
    1. Trim bezel
    2. Cluster screws

Sorry if that sound like a lot of unknowns to follow-up on, the fact is that there is not a simple answer with out checking a number of possibilities.
  • jaybergjayberg Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everybody..
    I just wanted to say that my Nice 2004 Chevy Crewcab 4x4 is falling apart...Well it's supposed to be a 4x4... That doesn't work anymore.. Push Button Lights are On but when I switch it to 4 hi or Auto or 4 Lo the lights just blink on the switches and nothing happens.. Any Ideas? "need 4wd winter is almost here....
    Also The Cd Player is Broken "not fixing" Thanks to Ipod's lol..
    A/C Doesn't work "not fixing"
    Fog Lights Kept burning out "not changing bulbs ever again"..
    Spent a $1200.00 on the Front End 3 months ago and it's already knockin lol... Good thing I bought Lifetime Parts!!! I just have to Laugh!! Wow... What's Next??? That's it for now.. I'll keep checking to see if anyone has any ideas.. And I'll update what else falls apart soon lol...
    Thank God, I started to go through everything again... Mech told me it can't be a fuse He said it's either the Switch on the Dash or the Transfercase motor... Feuf!!!! well what do ya know checked my 4wd fuse and it was burnt out!!!! Slapped in spare fuse CLICK!!! Now it's a 4wd again Yippee!!!! lol
  • nardi1nardi1 Member Posts: 2
  • nardi1nardi1 Member Posts: 2
    My GMC is shifting itself into 4 wheel low and wont shift out. Its push button 4wd. If I shut the truck off for 10 minutes and restart it, it goes back into 2wd by itself. I talked to a local mechanic and he had no ideas other than to pull the fuse so it wont shift. This has been fine for the summer but winter is coming and I'd like to get this fixed. Any ideas?
  • joker762joker762 Member Posts: 2
    I've got an 04' Sierra 4x4. Here's my problem. Sometimes upon starting the truck the lights on the dash for the push button 4-wheel drive will say it's in 4-low. It's not. It also won't switch out of the faulty light by pushing the other 2-hi or 4-hi buttons. Sometimes when it says it's in 4-lo, it will actually drive in the 4-lo gear range but it won't be in 4-wheel drive. On the days when you start it and it says it's in 2-hi, you can push the buttons and it will switch to either 4-hi or 4-lo with no problems. Also sometimes the red light is on in the panel between the buttons. Do i have a bad actuator or bad dash switch or something else?? HELP!!!
  • tahoe10tahoe10 Member Posts: 2
    just bought a 05 silverado Z71 with about 71000 miles. i was wondering why/if its suppose to make a clunking noise when shifting in to 4lo? its my first truck.
  • tafidtafid Member Posts: 12
    I have a Silverado 1500 4X2. There are LT245 70R 17 tire on it. Max pressure is 60 psi. The message board says check tire pressure. Question is can you run at recommended pressure (about 35 psi) under normal running (no load), but inflate to higher pressure when loading heavy cargo?

:confuse:
    that is exactly what you should be doing.
  • tafidtafid Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, but the lower psi is 45 psi for LT tires. My door label wants the Silverado LT 1500 to run 'P' not 'LT' tires. This says it will be 35 psi max, which is where I should be.
    My lesson learned, do more homework before buying.

:blush:
    The P or passenger tire like the Michelin LTX M/S has a max psi of 35#. Being a passenger tire 30-35# will give you the best ride. However, running LT tires which are designed to be installed on the 2500 and 3500HD with more belts and a stiffer sidewall should have no problem running at 38-40# with no load on a half ton truck. I can imagine your ride at 45 psi.
  • pkeaglepkeagle Member Posts: 1
    Facts:
    *There is a Growl/Grind coming from the front driver side as far as I can tell.
    *Noise is present during deceleration 30mph and under.
    *Noise can not be heard during acceleration.
    *Noise exists while coasting in neutral as well.
    *There are no visible leaks anywhere?
    *Noise is amplified while turning.
    *Noise goes away after shifting back into 2WD.
    *There seems to be no issues shifting into and out of 4WD Hi or Lo.
    *Tire wear is consistent and even.
    *Front inside brake pads are not engaging rotor on either front wheel.

Actions:
    *Changed out front differential gear oil. Drained a purplish, thick oil w/ what looked like metal flakes/sparkles. Magnetic drain plug had a few small splinters. (<1/8")
    Refilled w/ Valvoline 80W90 Synthetic Gear Oil - Noise still there.

*Local performance shop seems to think it might be a wheel/hub bearing assy. If a bearing, would the noise be consistent during accel and decel in 2WD or 4WD? So I have my doubts about this being the issue.

Questions:
    *Does the front differential disengage during decel or is it engaged all the time in 4WD?
    *If it does disengage, what controls this? Front Axle Shift Motor?
    *What do I look for to tell if it is a CV Joint?
    *Any suggsestions or help is appreciated!!!
  • dans04z71dans04z71 Member Posts: 5
    I to am having this exact same problem. I took mine to a shop and they told me it was the clutches in the transfer case. As for the CV joints i dont think it would be those because you would still hear them no matter what. If you find anything out let me know.
    I think it is the cluches in the transfer case, I just rebuild the transfer case and notice just today the growling were as before I rebuilt it and the 4wd was not working you did not hear the noise.
    So that fixed it then you hear no more growling in it or do you? how much did it cost you to rebuild it?
  • davey_donutdavey_donut Member Posts: 1
    Can you let us know what was wrong with your 4WD? I have same problem with 2000 silverado. Driving in woods a stick lodged under truck near transfer case and now 4wd HI won't work. Only 2Hi and 4Low work. Thanks.
    Still have the growling, I think its part of the design?

The cost, $175 timing chain, 10 cluch disc apx $3.00 each, Anitrobic gaskit sealer $17.00, 3 quarts Gm Trans fluid $24, 3 shaft seal $15 apx ? can't remember the exact price. and 8 hrs labor, first time rebuilding the transfer case.

One thing I have not check out, it appeared to me there was a adjusting screw for the cluch plates. Only two of the clutch plates were fried the other eight still looked good. The point being I think maybe I could have adjusted it and it would have been good for another 20-40k miles.

I put apx 80-100 hrs a year on it plowing every year so it has held up good.
  • rudyrudy Member Posts: 1
    I was shopping for a new Silverado 1500. The dealer said he had a new 2007 Silverado 2500 which had been "lost "in his Inventory which had an MSRP of $30,000 that he would sell for $20,000. When I checked on Edmunds I found 2 other dealers with similar deals on the 2007 model. Does anyone know whats up.? Other then gas mileage do you think the the 2007 2500 is better than the new 2008-9 1500?
  • jbeyhijbeyhi Member Posts: 6
    Okay, in 2002 I got a deal on a resale 1999 K2500 4x4 Silverado with extended warranty. From reading the dialog on this forum I am convinced that there is a factory defect in the 4x4 system and have paid over $1000 to fix the push button panel and actuator. I am having the same symptom on the 4x4 plus others. I have written GM customer service and they can do nothing. I then wrote the Pres. of GM North American and he ignored 2 letters, not even a form letter reply.

Shop for customer service and support. I would pass on giving GM one cent.

Good Luck.
    I am having my front diff checked out I think its the carrier bearings on the front diff i will let you know on weds.
    There hasn't been much change since the introduction in 2007. I've seen the same deal you're talking about on a 2008 left over 2500. That being the case, I'd opt for the 2008 if you can find one as the 2007 would be considered 2 years old next month.
  • wyattbuilderswyattbuilders Member Posts: 3
    when the truck is in 4wd and you turn the wheel left or right is sounds like the front end is going to fall off and you have to hit the gas feels like something is also binding up
  • wyattbuilderswyattbuilders Member Posts: 3
    When was the last time you checked the level of the power steering fluid and replaced the dextron III in the transfer case?
    I had my wheel bearings replaced last year, still have the noise.

When you say carrier bearing your refering bearing that are in the front differental housing?
    Yeah having it checked out tomorrow let you know when i find something out im hopeing that that is it its starting to make noise when its in 2 wheel drive
  • domfladdomflad Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with switching onto and out of 4wd. The easiest way to get it to change is to shift into neutral while you are rolling, and then shift to high/low 4wd. 5-10 mph for 4hi and 2 - 3 mph for 4 low.
  • lilbitmamalilbitmama Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 LS. Today it shifted into 4lo and now it will not shift out. I have noticed alot of grease around the boot on the drivers side. I need help. Anyone out there know what I can do to get it back into 2wd? I am desperate....please help me
  • Duane99Duane99 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, did you find an answer for your question? I have a 99 new body style and my front end does not seem to disengage fully causing hard steering when making u-turns.
  • Duane99Duane99 Member Posts: 11
    I was interested in the answer to your question. Did you find out?
  • mshropshire79mshropshire79 Member Posts: 3
    i have 2000 silverado 1500 ls with same problem. i can't get any lights to flash, only 4lo. if you find a fix please let me know. it's not the switch because i took it out and it shifts my dads 2004. thanks for any help and good luck
  • mshropshire79mshropshire79 Member Posts: 3
    i have 2000 1500 z71 with same problem. i fixed it with a new tranfer case shift motor and new tranfer case encoder.