Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7 vs. Nissan Murano

Comments

• Options
    lilarrylilarry Member Posts: 13
    You are being taken in by marketing verbiage. Try reading it the other way around.

The Murano's engine is designed for premium fuel. The Murano's computer will adjust the engine for regular fuel. You won't knock or ping and it'll run okay but you will have reduced power when using regular fuel.

In this forum we are comparing the Murano with the CX-7. We can't fairly compare the Murano's acceleration and road manners to the CX-7 without acknowledging that, to reach the capabilities we are comparing, the Murano needs premium fuel.

From what I've read, the CX-7 also has an "emergency mode" where the computer will adjust the engine for lower octaine fuel. It'll run on regular too, albeit with much reduced power. But where's the "zoom zoom" in that?

AT least Mazda is being honest and direct in their marketing specs.
  • Options
    honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    Heh, no, I was saying that according to spec, the Murano should use premium.
  • Options
    bosi77bosi77 Member Posts: 37
    Mazda CX-7 is better for image. A little more sporty
  • Options
    cx7byercx7byer Member Posts: 9
    I visited a Nissan dealership yesterday and found that the CX-7 offers far better value. For 31,000 (without tax) you can purchase a CX-7 Grand Touring AWD model with leather interior and the tech package including a Navigation system, moonroof, Bose audio system, six cd changer, and all the rest. I found that the Nissan requires at least 4,000 more dollars for leather and a sunroof, and you'd have to splurge even further for a Navigation system. So Nissan, while an attractive car, is definetly off the list, as well as the Lexus I was considering. I find there is far more value in the Mazda than either car. After all, an SUV is an SUV, right?
  • Options
    ctxctx Member Posts: 50
    No, an SUV is not an SUV. The Murano is larger, back seat is roomier, more towing capacity, etc. Which is great for some folks (me for example). CX-7 (in my mind anyhow) is much smaller and engine performance is much different than the Murano (nothing bad.. just different). They are not the same vehicles even though they have the same bells/whistles available.

Please note I’m not saying that either is better, just depends on what one wants out of their transportation. For me.. well I gave up my very small "zoom-zoom" (Miata) because I wanted more "room-room", a comfy ride and the ability to “haul stuff”. Trust me I was very interested in the CX-7 when I took the gamble and bought my Murano before CX-7 came out and after driving one I believe I made the right decision (again....for me).

Anyhow, I was wary of the Muranos cost when I was looking but they are heavily discounted off of MSRP. I got an SL 2wd with Touring (has leather,sunroof, zenon headlights, backup cam, etc) for about 31K. I’ve seen AWDs being had for 31.5-33K (leather, sunroof, etc). Not sure they included Nav tho…
  • Options
    jbuswelljbuswell Member Posts: 16
    Yesterday my CX-7 was parked next to a Nissan Murano while I was waiting for my wife at the doctors office. The Murano owner was very interested in my CX-7 and we talked for a few minutes comparing the vehicles. He had just bought his Murano about a month ago.

There wasn't much size difference between the cars, the hood on the Murano is a little higher, but the styling on the windshield looked "dated" compared to the sleek and sharp angle of the windshield on the CX-7. The interior of the Murano looks a little roomier, but there wasn't much difference. I say looks, because the way the dash curves around the windshield makes the front seem roomier, the same way with my 2001 Aztek, but not really much difference. The Murano's dash / drivers console sticks out, while the CX-7 seems to be styled better (blends into the dash more). The Murano does have roomier rear seats, the extra couple of inches is the difference between a full sized adult fitting between two car seats, and not. Trunk space, the CX-7 and the Murano seemed to be pretty much on par.

If I needed to tow something, I'd probably go with the Murano, but considering the Murano cost about $8k more than my CX-7, the CX-7 is by far better value for money.

On the whole towing thing, I'm just not sure if I'd want to tow anything with the CX-7. I've seen plenty of Lexus, Muranos, Jeeps and other SUVs with tow bars, but I've never actually seen an SUV around here other than Ford Explorers towing anything. Most people seem to use pickups for towing, probably not a bad idea :)
  • Options
    DIMNJDIMNJ Member Posts: 84
    "Trunk space, the CX-7 and the Murano seemed to be pretty much on par. "

I looked up the cargo room numbers and, according to them,
    Mo's cargo is larger by over 20 cu.ft. Do you think those numbers aren't accurate if the trunks are equal, as you said?
  • Options
    cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    I'm going to have to agree with disla on this one when it comes to cargo room. While the CX-7 is definitely the sportier car, and has a much better looking cockpit, the Murano has much more storage space.

This was the deciding factor in buying the Murano as we do a lot of things around the house and are always buying very large objects. The Murano's seat down capacity is 81.6 ft^2 while the CX-7's is only 58.6 ft^2. Thinking of the deck set that we barely squeezed into the Murano, I'm afraid the CX-7 is much more Sport than Utility in the SUV department.
  • Options
    dave90dave90 Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering about the cargo area as well. The numbers you state are clear from both websites, but I took a tape measure to both and don't find nearly as significant a difference.

With the seats down, the CX-7 cargo area was about 2" shorter and about 1" narrower. Hardly the numbers you'd expect from those figures.

I've seen other odd examples before too. A couple of years ago, I was helping a friend shop a Nissan Armada and a Toyota Seqoia. The Toyota was supposed to have more cargo room, but everywhere we measured, the Nissan was bigger :confuse: ">
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    maybe they appear to be "on par" from an exterior visual point. Also, if you do not look toward the ceiling of both vehicles, you may not notice that much of a difference. The CX-7 is sloped and curved in the rear which inhibits cargo space, the Murano, actually, is more squared off, giving it more room.
  • Options
    kinggoopkinggoop Member Posts: 15
    I consider myself very unbiased in my upcoming SUV purchase, and my wife and I are doing this M vs. C thing here.

First off I want to say, the guy/gal that stated that the Murano doesn't require premium (and used the stats page as a quote from the official website) you can't come and try to compare two vehicles on all the stats and then say well.. Murano has 245 bhp just like the CX-7 but the CX-7 needs premium.. well to get all those little horsies, ya need to include the premium.

ANYWAY!! I own a Nissan 2003 350Z Touring. So you might think I'm all about the Murano. Well.. we'll see.

When I first saw the CX-7 I just said, "WoW!"
    Murano never grew on me. Exterior looks are great, but they do not seem very proportionate. Headlights are small with a flashy undersized grill and a large body. CX-7 is proportionate, and being a sports car enthusiast, I immediately loved the looks. I hate the interior of the Murano. Being that i'm going to be the driver 80% of the time, I hate looking at the dash of the Murano. Everything is either immediately cluttered (instrument panel) or too far away (everything else to include the radio and other buttons). The CX-7 has alot right in thumbs reach. The shifter is nicely placed (especially since I drive a sportronic 350Z) and the console for the nav system/radio are nicely placed for comfort and availability to the driver.

It's not all about looks though. I'm going to say now that I had the chance to test drive and inspect both the Murano and the CX-7 in the same day. (the dealer for the Murano did nothing to help my impression of it) The CVT in the Murano leaves me feeling empty when I hit the throttle. Whereas driving a sports car, having the option for the sportronic transmission and six fluid gears to shift through at a moments whim is what it's all about. Nothing can compare to the feeling you get when you're behind some old woman in Cavalier on the highway and being able to shift down at the flip of a wrist and FEEEL the power at your fingertips. Murano's CVT, simply left me wanting more. No vroom, no pull, and I had the pedal literally to the carpeted floor mat. I know the specs, and I'm not here to spout of numbers. I'm here to give my honest opinion of experience and feeling.

I admit that the Murano had more room, but the seats on both in the front and the rear did not seem as supporting as those in the CX-7. Mind you, I've never been a Mazda fan in the past. There was more room in the back and albeit more cargo room. However, the drive between the two were different in all regards. The Murano, to me, felt like I was driving a tank. (my wife has a honda Civic hatch back and, again, I drive a two seater). The CX-7 gave me a familiar feeling of nearness to the pavement all the while providing adequate room for passengers and anything that 'we' need to carry in the near future.

Thursday I'll be going back to the dealers to look more at the CX-7. I've already made up my mind. I felt the need to express my opinions here. I've been to many shows that displayed the Murano and i've had alot of opportunities to inspect and read up on the SUV. It's a great vehicle, no doubt about it, however, it does not live up to my needs or my expectations as a future KingGoopmobile.
  • Options
    angelab39angelab39 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my 2003 Murano SL AWD for the CX-7 GT AWD. I got every option on the CX-7 except the technology package and advanced keyless entry. I picked up the CX-7 two days ago and just drove it home last night. I went out of state to get it so I have put 400 miles on it the last couple of days. Anyway, I'm gradually figuring out the differences and deciding what I like better about each vehicle. I definitely like the exterior styling of the CX-7 better. There are some interior styling issues I like better about the Murano. I got the sand interior in the Mazda, which I was disappointed to find includes a lot of black trim. Really only the seats are sand. The leather seating does not seem quite as luxurious as the Murano. I miss the Murano's fuel economy gauge and large display screen for the climate control and radio information. I didn't realize until after I ordered my CX-7 that you don't get the screen unless you order the navigation system (which brought the price up way too high for something I don't really need). Little things like the tonneau cover (spelling?) and visors are much nicer in the Murano. I am tall for a woman (6'0") and all of my height is in my legs. I did not feel cramped in the CX-7, though I can imagine I might in the back seat. As for cargo, I actually always thought the Murano was a little large for me. If you had anything in the back but it wasn't full, it would slide around all of the time. The CX-7 seems to have a better designed rear cargo area with better cargo net and ridges on the cargo area cover that hold things in place. I love the manual mode and feel the CX-7 handles better at higher speeds with less body roll. It has plenty of power. I forgot to check the mileage on the CX-7 on the first tank, but I drove about 350 miles on the first tank, mainly highway at speeds ranging from 62-78. Anyway, the bottom line is I definitely like the CX-7, but the Murano was my favorite vehicle I have ever had, so of course I am going to nit pick the one that replaced it. However, I now have a vehicle that is 4 years newer, back in warranty, and my payment went down almost $200. So, no real complaints!
  • Options
    kinggoopkinggoop Member Posts: 15
    I thought that I would feel cramped in the back as well. Being 5'9" and just under 200lbs, I was impressed with the amount of room that I had even behind the driver seat. I just bought my CX-7 with a nav system (wouldn't have it any other way) and .. I am eagerly awaiting Monday so that I can go pick it up. I've loved every test drive, and I had a chance to mess with the touch screen/voice activated nav system and radio and camera and all that good stuff the other day. Out hte door I got it at 32660 to include the Tech Package, GT model and preferred equipment package in the copper red mica. I am stoked about it to no end. One major turn off from the Murano for me was the transmission in it. After driving a 350Z for three years, I love the feeling of being able to drop a gear at a whim without having to SLAM on the gas and wait for the computer to kick in. :)
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    My feelings exactly about the Murano. I
    actually love the styling of the Murano and
    the roominess. I also like the CX-7 as far
    as the styling; have not had a chance to
    drive one yet. But the only thing I didn't
    like about the Murano after spending four
    days with a rental was that lack of low-end
    power. I drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima, so
    just like with your 350z, I know where you're
    coming from. I keep thinking that my next
    car is gonna have to have as much zip or
    better than my Maxima. I think if the
    Murano had a little bit mor hp's, it might
    change my feelings about it.
    But I hope to get a chance to test drive the
    CX-7 when I get closer to the end of my
    lease on my Maxima.
  • Options
    daverain1daverain1 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove the CX-7 and Murano side-by-side in May (Mazda dealer let me take it home and I drove it to Nissan dealer.) There was no comparision in handling, accelleration, and braking performance, the CX-7 won hands down. Also, I could get a loaded CX-7 (leather, Bose, Xenon, moonroof) for about $5000 less than a similarly equipped Murano. If the driving experience means something to you, you have to test drive the CX-7. If the usable volume is how you make buying decisions, perhaps you're not the target customer for the Madza.
  • Options
    Driving experience definitely does matter to me… drove Miatas for over 10 yrs! But you know what they say.. “Size DOES matter”.. ;) I bought the Murano. :D
  • Options
    sacratomatosacratomato Member Posts: 1
    With the rest of the country going through a spectacular heat wave, one thing to consider between the CX-7 and the Murano is AC cooling for back seat passengers. We took a test drive of a CX-7 last week on a typical 106 degree Sacramento CA day. My wife thought it was stifling in the backseat and after 30 minutes, she got out and refused to get back in.

We drove to a Nissan dealer and found out that the Murano has AC vents for rear passengers. Is this a major decision maker between the two cars? Probably not on the east coast; but summer here lasts from April until late September. My wife already owns a 2004 RX-8 and she loves the Zoom-Zoom of Mazdas. I think the CX-7 is much better looking than the Murano and it is a typical Mazda; very fun to drive. I may just have to wait until next year for the CX-9 and see how it handles the hot weather.
  • Options
    honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    I have a CX-7. There are three vents in the center of the dash which can all be pointed to the back. I noticed there's some sort of air coming out from the passenger seat, which might let air into the back. I don't know if it is only for warm air, or if it'll do cold as well. I didn't see anything similar under the drivers seat.

So, I'd try pointing all three vents up and to the back, and see how that does. Set it to recirculate air. Oh, and I generally have the cargo cover up, figuring that'll help take a chunk of warm air mostly out of play.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ildarad0ildarad0 Member Posts: 24
    hello,

first of all: Do you always trust to what you see, hear, or read???

Second I got murano two weeks ago, while I was shopping I did a quote on Mazda as well. I do not know any thing about this car so I wouldn't say it is bad. But the same day I got my murano and was driving back from dealer ship got a call from Mazda Dealer. She was trying to exnplane to me that I did a mistake and why. I said sorry I'm driving right now and even if you saying I did a mistake it is not going to fix anything and will not changed my mind. she hang up on me, whatever. minute later second call her manager is not saying hello nothing his words YOU DID A STUPID DEAL!!!!!
    all I can say murano is kicking their [non-permissible content removed] in sale, thats why they so mad. and I'm happy with my car!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I'm not sure what your point is. I'm sorry that a Mazda person was rude to you, but I'm sure the human element means that there are rude Nissan people somewhere, too. It's unfortunate in either case.

As for the Murano selling better than the CX-7 - you have to consider a lot of things, most importantly that Mazda doesn't really compete with Nissan in sales numbers. I'm sure Mazda wants to conquer the world, but at the moment, compared to the Japanese giants, they are almost a "niche" company, and have been for a long time. Also, two months of sales which are influenced by first-year dealer markup, public awareness, etc. are hardly an apples-to-apples comparison to a vehicle that has been out for several years. I doubt any CX-7 owners WANT the Mazda to catch up to the Nissan in sales, but for now, it's a little too early to be bragging.

-c92
  • Options
    jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Yes, exclusivity is a nice thing.

I still haven't purchased my CX-7 as of yet as I NEVER purchase a vehicle in its' first year, but I do like when a vehicle isn't seen all over the place, so yes, it is nice to not have as many out there as the Murano. Why be like everyone else when you can have a ride priced so much better with a lot more for the money?
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    ildarad0, I kind of had the same thing happen
    with an Acura salesperson, after I purchased
    an '07 Lexus RX350. She demanded to know "why,
    why" I bought the Lexus. My choices had come
    down to the Lexus and the Acura TL right before
    I decided to buy the Lexus. I managed to politely explain my reasons, although I could
    have been kind of snotty right back to her and
    said the customer treatment at Lexus was like
    a day and night experience with the Acura dealership.
    Bottomline, I think these salespeople need to
    use a little more etiquette in a situation
    like this, because, for certain, I will remember the way I was treated at that Acura
    dealership, and it wasn't a very positive
    experience.
  • Options
    jrinjrin Member Posts: 3
    I really liked every aspect of the CX-7 EXCEPT the engine. Once the turbo kicks in, the acceleration is OK, but until it does, it's almost scary. It still acts and sounds very much like a 4-cyl, especially when I was attempting to turn left crossing a busy street with oncoming traffic. To be fair, my previous two cars had 350hp and 303hp V8s, so I'm used to being able to get where I want to go...quickly.
    The Murano's V6 won me over. I'm still getting used to the CVT, but I love the vehicle. However, if Mazda did offer a V6 in the CX-7, there would be a black one in my driveway.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    my parents have an 03 Murano, and i sold nissans for two years. they have never had a problem with their murano in that time, and they have driven it from CT to SC to ME and all around. Very very comfortable for all in both the back and front seats. my husband is 6'5" and the murano is about the only vehicle in which he fits comfortably in the back seat. love the reclining seats, and the exterior styling really hasn't aged much in nearly 4 years.

the murano is only 10" longer than a nissan sentra, but fits a whole lot more than it looks like it can. small and easily maneuverable, its a great suv for people who arent used to driving big boat cars! i find the power to be available at all RPM ranges, especially if you use the S mode.

The CVT in the murano has been used by nissan for over 10 years in other applications, and its great for people who tend to get motion sick. the lack of shift shock really is nice on a sensitive stomach!

i cannot comment on the cx7, as i have not driven one, but they look like great vehicles! i would have recommended it to a friend of mine if she hadn't been so fixated on getting a subaru b9 tribeca. (also a nice vehicle)

i say to each their own - i am a nissan fan, so i would probably take the murano over the cx7 by virtue that the murano is a nissan. but to each their own! im sure everyone is happy with their purchases, whichever brand it may be!

-thene :)
  • Options
    turbozturboz Member Posts: 11
    I drove CX7 and Murano recently to compare, and while I do agree with some people that CX7 feels more car-like to drive, that is probably the only thing it has going for it
    It's basically a Cross over for 2 people.

My own observations of CX7 vs Murano

> CX7 Requires Premium Fuel
    > CX7 has Noticable Turbo-Lag & Growling Engine when pushed
    > CX7 seats are very cheaply finished, even the leather version
    > CX has much less room in the back
    > The Front Shelve on CX7 (whatever it's called) above the Dash is really bothersome, no idea why it's there

And finally, dollar for dollar, when I looked at leasing both cars, a Fully loaded CX7 vs Fully loaded Murano came to about $100/mo more on a 48mo lease, since Murano has 2.8% Rate vs 6.9% on the Mazda (I am in Canada)
  • Options
    easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Year and Make 2007 Nissan 2007 Mazda
    Model Murano CX-7 SUV
    Style 4dr SL AWD Auto AWD 4dr GT
    Manufacturers Code L6TG17 PXTJ87

Continue

Continue

Configured MSRP $41,098.00 $37,195.00
    A/C Standard Standard
    Power Door Locks Standard Standard
    Power Driver Mirror Standard Standard
    Drivetrain All Wheel Drive All-wheel drive
    Engine Type Gas V6 Gas I4
    Displacement 3.5L/214 2.3L/138
    SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 240 @ 5800 244 @ 5000
    SAE Net Torque @ RPM 244 @ 4400 258 @ 2000
    Trans Description Cont. CVT Automatic Automatic w/OD
    Body Style 4 Door 4 Door SUV

ACCESSORIES
    Climate Control Standard Standard
    Dual Zone A/C Standard Not Available
    A/C Standard Standard
    Alarm Not Available Standard
    AM/FM Stereo Standard Standard
    Cassette Standard Not Available
    CD Changer Standard Available
    CD Player Standard Standard
    Cruise Control Standard Standard
    Rear Defrost Standard Standard
    Front Floor Mats Not Available Standard
    Remote Keyless Entry Standard Standard
    Power Door Locks Standard Standard
    Heated Mirrors Standard Standard
    Power Driver Mirror Standard Standard
    Navigation System Not Available Available
    Adjustable Steering Wheel Standard Standard
    Power Windows Standard Standard
    Intermittent Wipers Standard Standard
    Premium Sound System Standard Available
    MP3 Player Standard Available
    Fog Lamps Standard Standard
    Power Passenger Mirror Standard Standard
    Heated Exterior Driver Mirror Standard Standard
    Heated Exterior Passenger Mirror Standard Standard
    Privacy Glass Standard Standard
    Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers Standard Standard
    Steering Wheel Controls Not Available Standard
    Auxiliary Pwr Outlet Standard Standard
    Vehicle Anti-Theft System Standard Standard
    HID headlights Not Available Standard
    Auto-Off Headlights Standard Standard
    Electrochromic rearview mirror Standard Not Available
    Driver Vanity Mirror Not Available Standard
    Passenger Vanity Mirror Not Available Standard
    Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror Standard Not Available
    Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror Standard Not Available
    Rear Parking Aid Standard Available
    Rear Seat Heat Ducts Not Available Standard
    Front Reading Lamps Standard Standard
    Rear Reading Lamps Standard Not Available
    Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Standard Standard
    Trip Computer Standard Not Available
    Universal Garage Door Opener Standard Not Available
    Back-Up Camera Standard Available
    CHASSIS
    Suspension Type - Front Independent Strut Independent
    Suspension Type - Rear Multi-Link Multi-Link
    Suspension Type - Front (Cont.) w/Coil Springs Coil Springs
    Suspension Type - Rear (Cont.) Coil Springs
    Front Tire Order Code
    Rear Tire Order Code
    Spare Tire Order Code
    Front Tire Size P235/65R18 235/60R18
    Rear Tire Size P235/65R18 235/60R18
    Spare Tire Size P235/65R18 Compact
    Front Wheel Material Alloy Aluminum
    Rear Wheel Material Alloy Aluminum
    Steering Type Pwr Rack & Pinion Pwr rack & pinion
    Brake Type Pwr Pwr
    Brake ABS System 4-Wheel 4-wheel
    Disc - Front (Yes or ) Yes Yes
    Disc - Rear (Yes or ) Yes Yes
    Drum - Rear (Yes or )
    4-Wheel ABS Standard Standard
    4-Wheel Disc Brakes Standard Standard
    Power Steering Standard Standard
    Aluminum Wheels Standard Standard
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System Standard Not Available
    EXTERIOR
    Power Tilt/Sliding Sunroof Available Standard
    Tires - Front All-Season Standard Standard
    Tires - Rear All-Season Standard Standard
    Compact Spare Tire Not Available Standard
    Full Size Spare Tire Standard Not Available
    Sun/Moon Roof Available Standard
    Sunroof Sunshield Not Available Standard
    POWERTRAIN
    Drivetrain All Wheel Drive All-wheel drive
    Engine Order Code VQ35DE
    Engine Type Gas V6 Gas I4
    Displacement 3.5L/214 2.3L/138
    Fuel System SMPI DISI
    SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 240 @ 5800 244 @ 5000
    SAE Net Torque @ RPM 244 @ 4400 258 @ 2000
    Trans Order Code
    Trans Type 1 6
    Trans Description Cont. CVT Automatic Automatic w/OD
    Trans Description Cont. Again
    Seventh Gear Ratio (:1)
    All Wheel Drive Standard Standard
    4 Cylinder Engine Not Available Standard
    V6 Cylinder Engine Standard Not Available
    Turbocharged Not Available Standard
    Gasoline Fuel Standard Standard
    6-Speed A/T Not Available Standard
    A/T Standard Standard
    Continuously Variable Trans Standard Not Available
    SAFETY
    Driver Air Bag Standard Standard
    Passenger Air Bag Standard Standard
    Side Air Bag Standard Standard
    Side Head Air Bag Standard Standard
    Rear Head Air Bag Standard Not Available
    Child Safety Locks Standard Not Available
    Auto-On Headlights Standard Standard
    Traction Control Not Available Standard
    Adjustable Pedals Standard Not Available
    SEATING
    Power Driver Seat Standard Standard
    Pass-Through Rear Seat Standard Standard
    Cloth Seats Standard Not Available
    Leather Seats Not Available Standard
    Bucket Seats Standard Not Available
    Heated Driver Seat Standard Standard
    Heated Passenger Seat Standard Standard
    Driver Lumbar Standard Standard
    SUMMARY
    Vehicle Name Murano SL CX-7
    Body Style 4 Door 4 Door SUV
  • Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Easym1: what is the point of your post? You're just regurgitating the spec sheets from both vehicles and in the manner you did, it's extremely difficult to read.

Regards, Vince.
  • Options
    tmnjmaxtmnjmax Member Posts: 19
    I think most who buy suvs or crossovers are looking for the road view that the extra height gives you in a typical suv or crossover. The cx-7 just seems more like a station wagon to me.
  • Options
    A very stylish, awesome looking station wagon, eh? :shades:

Vince.
  • Options
    tmnjmaxtmnjmax Member Posts: 19
    Its pretty alright, but I still need that extra height.
  • Options
    astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    FWIW, I was driving a Lexus RX300, a pretty typical SUV, prior to buying my CX-7. Upon doing a little research, I discovered that the CX-7 was 3 inches lower than the CX-7 in height. To me, that was negligable - I definitely like having height, it's important to me. Now, I don't know the height of every SUV on the market, of course, so I'm sure the CX-7 is perhaps much lower than others - but for me, that 3 inches was not enough to dissuade me. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is looking to speak current or previous large SUV owners that are looking to or have downsized to smaller SUVs or crossover vehicles. Please provide your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    What is next :confuse:

Sticking your tongues out at each other? A duel? :P
  • Options
    carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    We just got our 07 Murano (SL with Leather) last Thursday and my wife and I are loving it. Plenty of power, excellent room, our kids like the room in the back seat (had 98 Sienna), great stereo, and have averaged 22 mpg so far. It is whisper quite and the CVT is suprisingly nice. Had an uncle buy a 07 Maxima 4 weeks ago and he has same comments about the CVT - smooth as silk. My only problem with a Mazda is that it is really a rebadged Ford or is a Ford a rebadged Mazda. Either way, I have had 2 Fords in my lifetime (first and last).

The 3.5Lin the Murano has kick you in the pants just about across the full rpm range but noted that if I can keep the rpm's below 2k, mileage goes up 1-2 mpg. My 05 Frontier is the same way (22-23 mpg with the 6spd, 4 liter crew cab).

Try the Murano before you try Mazda.
  • Options
    d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    My only problem with Nissan is that is a re-badged Renault, not exactly a benchmark in anything. ;) Oh, well, that doesn't really compare cx-7 to murano. I guess I need to find some statistics.
  • Options
    sorry to disagree, but the CX-7 isn't rebadged. Totally new design, totally Mazda, made totally in Japan. Ford on the other hand, borrowed technology for the Edge and MKX.

Vince.
  • Options
    That made me laugh out loud. Thank you. :P

-c92
  • Options
    fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    I would agree that the Murano has a roomy and very nice interior, it just doesn't handle, corner, steer, brake or take off like the CX-7. A very nice SUV for the "moderate" driver. After test driving both vehicles, I purchased the Mazda because it really is the "soul of a sports car." Couldn't get used to the funny driving characteristics of the CVT Murano transmission!
  • Options
    Well, good thing we don't all like the same thing, otherwise there wouldn't be enough made to meet the demand. ;)
  • Options
    philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Are there any Murano owners out there that live in Colorado? I see enough of them on the road. Can you give us any feedback with the vehicle's performance at altitude, like climbing from Silverthorne to the Eisenhower Tunnel? Flatlander reviews aren't of much use to me as I live at 8,000 ft and am looking for a Grand Cherokee replacement that can also stash a pontoon boat and be as much fun to take skiing as my Volvo S60 AWD and bolt up Floyd Hill in the left lane.

I'm also looking at the CX-7 but it will have to have a lot to offer over the Murano in other ways than storage. The Murano has a gaping maw of a liftgate which allows access for the 48" boat frame. (The swing-gate of the RAV4 was a deal-breaker. The BMW X3 was just dinky.)

I've yet to drive either vehicle and am also curious about the redesigned Santa Fe, larger CX-9 and new Ford Edge.

thanks!
  • Options
    I've driven mine, once a month or so, that way, from So California to Arvada, and have the same power there as I do at home. Nowadays I am a regular over Donner Pass, from Reno to Sacramento more often, not quite as high, but still at a high elevation. :)
  • Options
    philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    So, coming up that long, 8 mile climb out of Silverthorne, are you kicking it in the left lane or doing the middle lane shuffle between the truckers and the speedsters? I'm looking for at least some kind of power reward if I'm going to give it up with the MPG. thanks.
  • Options
    First of all, with the CVT, you will never have that feeling again...hunting and searching for a good gear will become, thankfully, a thing of the past. :)

Even in Montana, that huge grade there Homestake Pass?), coming West from Billings, on I-90, I had the cruise control set, and never had a problem. Silverthorne I cruised it at 70.

You should arrange to take one out on an extended test-drive. My dealer was more than happy for me to do so.....
  • Options
    Philmo,

you will probably not see any benefits with the CX-7. It is turbocharged 4 cyl. and not sure the elevation will help things. Regarding the MO I have not driven one at altitude but am sure the CVT will offer you a different driving experience. With 6 cylinders it should handle slightly better.

The CX-7 will not offer any roof rails (seems like you are a traveler who may need these). Murano does have these offered. As well CX-7 has limited towing capacity (1000-1500 lbs ???) vs. Murano 3500 lbs. The back seat in Murano is far more luxurious than the CX-7. Space (as you noted) is optimal in the Murano. I did not buy CX-7 for these reasons.

CX-7 is marketed as driving experience. I drove one and it might not be as comfortable on long hauls. Only you can be the judge of that. My Murano rocks for distances over 1K miles so ???. Perhaps you could rent both. :D

Good luck in your search!
  • Options
    Actually, in many instances, the turbocharger helps compensate for altitude, 4-cylinder or not. At 8,000 ft, neither the Murano nor any other normally-aspirated car will be making full rated power. The CX-7 may not be at 100% then, either, but turbos generally diminish the altitude effect. FWIW, I've driven my CX-7 from 600 feet to 5,000 feet altitude in a single day, with no apparent change in performance from one place to another.

The CX-7's towing capacity is only 1,500 pounds, but I have found the 6-speed auto to be very good; much better than I expected, even.

Like ctx said, you probably gotta try to spend time in both to really figure it out. Good luck.
  • Options
    wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    The CX-7 will not offer any roof rails
    Check your facts... the CX does indeed offer roof rails as an option. As far as the CVT over the 6 speed tranny and turbo goes, your Renault will never offer a passing gear, nor will it ever be able to downshift to assist in slowing down the vehicle when going down a steep incline.

The Morano is cushy, I'll give you that, but when it comes to handling the road, I'd rather have a suspension that's well suited for driving the curves than one thats suited to looking for a mall parking spot. :P
  • Options
    Amen to That! :D
  • Options
    I did not see the roof rails on the website. Please post thie link. My bad if oversight.

BTW what's with the Morano insult? I didn't think this was a place to bash on other vehicles or owners.- just point out the vechicle differences.

IMHO, they are both 4000 lb SUVs. When it comes to handling the road - well I'd rather be in a Miata. Just can't haul a boat with one. :)
  • Options
    Goto the www.mazdausa.com website, go to the shopping tools link at the top of their home page, scroll down to accessories, click on the 2007 models tab, click on the CX-7, then select the exterior category.

There, you'll find roof rails and all of the accessories for the roof rails.

Vince.
  • Options
    wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135

Just a little jab... no harm, I hope.
    :blush:
    I'm sure the Murano will serve you and yours for a mighty long time.
    Happy motoring!