Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• eric52eric52 Member Posts: 2
    And just to add a bit about the buying experience.

Nelson Mazda in Nashville; could not be happier with the experience. Negotiations completed primarily via email, a fair price. Car in beautiful shape when I arrived. Smooth paperwork, no suprises. Introduction to the service guys, and a follow-up email the same day...

Nice.
  • rob127rob127 Member Posts: 2
    :) Just bought a 2008 Grand Touring w/Moon roof Bose Package for 22273.00 otd in New York. I went to the dealer looking for a catch, but there wasn't any! Keep looking for deals, I FEEL LIKE I STOLE THIS CAR! Keep looking for deals, they're out there.
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    ok, fellas, here's the deal I have sitting before me -- new 2008 Sport FWD, only option is power driver seat. MSRP is $24,735. Internet sales mgr has quoted me $19,427 ($5308 off sticker). (no trade in -- cash deal). I'm in the St. Louis MO area. Can anyone let me know if that's a steal or if you're in the same area and have gotten a better price recently on a 2008 (or 2009), similarly equipped.

Thx in advance!

Jeff B.
  • derricksonderrickson Member Posts: 131
    Hi Jeff,
    Well, here's my 2 cents...
    I'll start by saying I'm not in the St Louis area, but here was my experience almost exactly 2 months ago... Bought a base FWD Sport (exactly like yours less the pwr seat) for $17,435 ($7000 off MSRP of 24,435). This was an advertised promo, so no haggling was required. That seemed to be a pretty smokin price, as I did not see other dealers willing to match, and have not seen that low an offer advertised since.

I have read here that incentives are constantly changing. In addition, as 08 inventory decreases, the incentives may actually decrease towards year-end. Kind of opposite of what I've typically heard, "Best time to buy is year end", etc.

So that said, there's certainly no harm in shopping your current offer, and seeing if anyone else will beat it. Also, I see this CX-7 board has not been too active lately for whatever reason. I know the CX-9 board has been much more active, including posts by a couple Mazda sales folks. So you may want to pose this same question on the CX-9 board and see if you get a response... Just a thought.

BTW, when purchasing accessories, I would visit MedCenter Mazda website. They offer the best prices & free shipping.
    Derrickson,

Thx for the reply! I'm also surprised there's so little discussion in not just this cx-7 thread but all the cx-7 threads! Anyway, congrats on getting such a great price -- kinda motivates me to counter-offer more aggressively. Unfortunately, there are only 4 '08 cx-7's in a 100 mile radius of St. Louis that are left, so I think the decrease in inventory may be playing a role, as you suspected. However, I'm not in a position where I have to buy, so I think I will post in the cx-9 forum as you suggested and see what happens. thanks again!

jeff
    You're welcome. I received several tips here when I was buying, so happ to Pay-it-fwd... Good position to be in that you don't have to buy. That should help. The dwindling inventory was mentioned awhile back by a Mazda salesperson who said dealers were not flooded with these as they curtailed production several months ago. We bought ours as a result of Hurricane Ike which flooded one of our vehicles. But we also paid cash like you, which I think helps to keep things "cleaner".

I know when I bought in October, my dealer alone had at least 6 or more. I did also notice the one I bought had been sitting on the lot since April. Interesting too, was the sunny Saturday afternoon I stopped by to look at the vehicle, I was the ONLY customer on the ENTIRE LOT!!!! It was eerie. This is a HUGE Ford/Mazda dealer and it was a ghost town... except for me. Saw the downturn in auto sales right before my eyes. Good luck with the purchase!
  • fishhoppafishhoppa Member Posts: 30
    #625 of 628 good deal on leftover '08? by jeffb1 Dec 03, 2008 (10:18 am)
    ok, fellas, here's the deal I have sitting before me -- new 2008 Sport FWD, only option is power driver seat. MSRP is $24,735. Internet sales mgr has quoted me $19,427 ($5308 off sticker). (no trade in -- cash deal). I'm in the St. Louis MO area. Can anyone let me know if that's a steal or if you're in the same area and have gotten a better price recently on a 2008 (or 2009), similarly equipped

Hi Jeffb1,

Here's another purchase price experience to help you gauge your above deal. I had purchased a new 08' Touring model w/Bose-Moonroof for $20.2k + TTL about 1.5 months ago. That's approx $7.5k off msrp. Hope that helps you out with your purchase. Good Luck!
    Thx Fishhoppa, it does help. My concern is that it sounds like I missed the boat a couple months ago on the really good deals, and now the '08 leftovers are disappearing, and with them the really good discounts. I might try to counter with something a thousand or so less than their offer, but I'm pretty sure that won't fly with the dealer. Regardless, I appreciate the info!

Jeff B.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    The deals certainly seem to vary by geographic region as well as timing. When I bought in late October, people were reporting deals in Texas better than those here in Cleveland. Nevertheless, dealers here are now advertising 6K-6.5K off '08 CX-7 and 9K off CX-9 and that's before the 1K loyalty. My trim setup is the same as yours, except the deal was 18.5K. The dealer has about 5500 to give up for sure. CX-7 sales have been terrible lately so I'd think the extra $800 a unit Mazda was kicking back is still there, so now you're up to ~6.3K off sticker. Then there's 475 holdback, which is tougher to get at.
    I can't seem to find anything "official" regarding the 1k loyalty, unfortunately. I think $18.5k would be a price I'd be willing to pay, for sure, so I might just shoot them that number as a 'take it or leave it' offer (worded a little more diplomatically, of course) and if they won't go for it, just walk away.

Not to veer too far off the subject, but just curious -- what % city/hwy driving do you do and what's your observed mpg so far?

Thx for your help!
    Jeff
  • mkaddmkadd Member Posts: 2
    Hey jeffb1
    I see that you wrote no cash is included in this quote (19,427), does that mean that this offer is still eligible for either the $3750 or the 0%...I have an email quote of 20K which includes the $3750 and I feel they can still do better.....I argued that Mazda is only offering 0% on CX-7, no cash in lieu, but they keep arguing that it is not true...Please keep us updated about your 18.5K offer...Thanks
    The $19,427 was their supposedly "lowest" offer, and if you're looking at a vehicle similarly equipped (2008 w/fwd and power driver seats - no other options) and the best they've offered is $20k, then you can do better. I haven't seen or driven this particular vehicle yet, and I may do so and then offer the 18.5k take-it-or-leave-it offer to the dealer. If you're dealing with a floor salesperson, find their website and try to get to the internet sales mgr or fleet manager instead -- I'm convinced they'll give you a better deal than the floor salespeople, with much less hassle.

Jeff
  • mkaddmkadd Member Posts: 2
    But is $19,427 with $3750 discount that all dealers seem to offer without any note from Mazda neither on this site or on their web site, or is this quote still eligible for 0%.....20K is actually an email quote, and I really think I can do better...I don't need the car but for a good deal I'll go for it...
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    Can any of you Mazda Dealer members tell me the current dealer cash available on a 2009 CX-7 please?

THANKS !
    I'm in the same situation -- don't need the vehicle but if I can get a great deal I'll do it. Regarding the 0%, i was going to do a straight cash deal, so I have no idea regarding the financing. Sorry!
  • supershawnsupershawn Member Posts: 27
    "Regarding the 0%, i was going to do a straight cash deal, so I have no idea regarding the financing."

No offense, and I admit I am not an all out "expert" when it comes to finance, but if there is no rebate in lieu of the 0% financing, why in the world would you pay cash? Exercise and build your credit, take the 19k you were going to use and invest it (heck, in this economy you may even make $5 or 6 dollars over the years financed :P )

Keep your cash first emergencies if you don't want to invest it, but don't give up interest free financing unless there is something being taken away (like a rebate).

Now, if there is a rebate vs. low APR deal, don't EVER take the low APR, take the rebate. That's Econ 101 stuff.

-Shawn
    I agree with your point, but I promoted the 'no trade in, no financing, just write a check' approach to avoid the 'well, what do you wanna pay per month?' questions. I got the opportunity a few years back to get out of all car payments, and once you do that, getting back into a car loan is not desirable (at least for me). Typically the rebate/low financing scenario is a 'or' situation vs. a 'and' situation, so I guess I never thought to even ask about it. I'm not focused on whether the discount is a discount vs. cash back -- i'm focused only on the bottom-line price. I also had a bank lose my title several years back after I paid off a loan (via mail), and then refused to cover the cost of re-titling the car (said it wasn't their fault -- that it got lost in the mail). So although I understand the opportunity cost of money, the simplicity of writing a check, quickly getting the title, and not raising my monthly recurring costs is very appealing to me. Appreciate the suggestion, though.
    Hey Shawn,
    If I recall, didn't you spend sometime at a dealership? If so, can you maybe shed some light on why just 2 months ago, folks (aka me) were getting deals on the 08's that were roughly $7K off MSRP (17400 = 24400-7000)? Now as year end approaches, I would expect deals on 08's to be getting better. But instead I'm seeing prices $2K MORE?? Especially with the market the way is, I'm trying to understand the rationale behind them decreasing the incentives...
    Like I said, does anyone know the current dealer cash available on the 2009 CX-7 ?
    Dunno about official cash available, but I was quote the below on a 2009 sport fwd with only 1 option - the heated power cloth seats...
    25,000 msrp
    21,670 price
    3,330 discount

Hope that helps.
    Jeff B.
    Just got a letter from the dealer I bought from and it says: Up to 7500 off '08 CX-7, up to 9000 off CX-7 before loyalty. Its either 3750 or 0% on an '08. Additional spiff money may vary by region, and may very well go away as the stock dwindles. The rules for '09s are different, you will pay more.
    Answering the O/T question: Wife drives about 80% city, getting about 18MPG, only 1600 mile on the car so far. All tanks were premium fuel.
    $7500!?! before loyalty??? What's the dealership name, city and state?

Thx!
    Jeff
    Montrose (Westside) Mazda in Cleveland Ohio.
    Just got a letter from the dealer I bought from and it says: Up to 7500 off '08 CX-7, up to 9000 off CX-7 before loyalty.

Yeah, not to rain on the parade, but I think the key words here are "up to". I received similar promos from various dealers when I was buying, only to find out the max discount was only applicable on a) loaded vehicles b) certain colors or c) 1 unit only, "and it just sold" :P -- ended up finding a dealer offering $7K off on ALL 08 CX-7's and pulled the trigger.
    unless there is a dealer here from a region that has something special going on, incentives on 2008's are long over. What you are seeing is the final last incentive that the dealers were allowed to "buy out" and take off the floorplan. They own them. The price we discussed a few pages back is what it is- there's no more dealer support. You can keep kicking the dead horse, but you are just going to lose out on any inventory that gets sold while you sit on it. Now, MAC may have a financial incentive for fin/lease, but that's different. Personally, I am happy with that residual/MF we got a few months ago. An 08 Sport with a few extras out the door for basically the mid 200's? And property tax is included (NC law)? Probably best bang for the buck I have gotten on a new vehicle. Especially in this economy, it was better to take that lease deal than to buy out the lease right away. Come to think of it, the only better bang for the buck deal I can recall ven seeing was back in the early 90's when Ford was trying to beat Honda for car of the year (sales). the incentives were sick. We could give away a Ford Fiesta with every Taurus purchase and still make a little $$. Plus, the sales guys got spins....that's a while ago but it was like $100-250 on each of the first 5 of the month, then like $500-750 on the rest.Geez, when I think back to those days, I wonder how the big three could ever be in the mess they are in right now? (sad sarcasm) This is the first time I have not had a single American vehicle in the garage.....we're Japanese (obviously), German, and an Italian (don't worry, the Italian one only has two wheels- I like to drive my vehicles most of the time and work on them some of the time, not the other way around :P Although, they do say Ducati has been "turning riders into mechanics for 100 years now").

Back to the point- find the 2008 you want, get the invoice, and work from what we discussed a few pages back. You are not going to get any more off unless the dealer takes money out of his pocket and gives it to you for a loss or you have a trade and you can get him to step up (but again, not in this market). Or, wait 10.5 months and do this all over again....and hope there is a bank left to finance it.

- :shades:
    Not trying to sell cars for these guys, but with 13 '08 Sports still on the lot you'd think they'd be interested in moving them.
    That might be the opposite of the problem I'm running into -- in the StL area, I can only find 4 '08's in a 100 mile radius. I shot an email back to the dealer that has 3 of the 4 and said if they'd get to $7k off msrp I'd buy one, otherwise I'll stop wasting their time (and mine). I doubt they'll bite on it, since they were at $5300 off -- $1700 is a big difference. If they do they do, and if they don't, I'll wait to see what the new Mazda3 looks like in person and possibly reevaluate which vehicle I really want a couple months down the road.
    Sorry I missed this earlier.....at least a late response is better than none :P

I spent quite a lot of time around dealerships and my family still owns multiple (I think 22, depends on if you do physical location or brand). Anyway, I am the black sheep that didn't stay in the family business. I am still very much a car and motorcycle (just about anything that's loud, fast or goes boom, and doesn't require swinging, balls, etc).

What has happened is the dealer support on 2008's is gone. Zip. Nada. Vamanos. Outta there. When I got my wife's 08 Sport (you can probably search the for the post to get the date), dealer support had just been cut. Dealers at that time (at least the smart ones) "bought" the vehicles (when a dealer does this, its not really "buying" the vehicle, he is just paying the floorplanned amount and collecting all available incentives). This becomes his new "net net" (absolute bottom line, what the owes on it himself at that time). My wifes had just been "bought" by the dealer the day before, and it scored me not only all his incentives but the Mazda loyalty I otherwise wouldn't have been eligible for. I also got a third incentive I did not know about. All my pricing is disclosed in another (earlier) post and another member here was called and verified and may have bought one himself.

Most of the American manufacturers work this way (for now, I expect drastic changes). New model year comes out, dealer "buys" the cars (they are floorplanned- like one big car loan but for all the cars and worked a little differently). Usually, there is little to no incentive on the new year's models. Especially if it is a new model or an easy sell. If it's got a decent mark-up or slow (even in just that region), there may be a small incentive. Incentives then change throughout the year depending on sales. High gas prices? SUV's have $10k customer cash. Like I said in an earlier example, when Ford was close to the unbeatable Honda for highest volume selling car of the year in the early 90's, the incentives were so high we could give a free Fiesta with each Taurus purchase and still make some cash. Advertising- I just don't understand the human mind sometimes.

Anyway, from when the new models come out until early spring, the dealer pays invoice (all dealers have the same invoice price, any dealer that says he gets his cheaper because he buys in volume is flat out lying). Whenever he sells a vehicle, he reports the sale, it comes off the floorplan, and the manufacturer pays him ~3% for advertising, interest, lot fees, etc. There may be other incentives that come and go depending on how a model is moving. Once people start thinking next model year, that ~3% goes to ~5% and incentives usually go up a bit. This is hen you see the "end of year clearance deals". These deals usually do rise a bit (again, depending on sales volume), but the time comes (usually around Aug) that dealer support is cut for the previous model year. No more rebates, incentives, nothing. if it's sitting on your lot, you not only owe net (straight invoice), but all the floorplan interest, the space it took up, lot fees (cleaning, charging the battery, etc). 120 days is usually the magic number, no one wants a car over 120 days (too many reasons to list here).

So, (ramble mode off), how come, when there are 2009's on the lot, are you only seeing deals that are more expensive than what we got a few months ago? Simple- the dealer gambled and did not 'buyout" the vehicle and he can't go lower without literally paying out of pocket. Let's just say I may have seen a 1989 rust/gold colored Chevy Celebrity EuroSport (stop drooling :P ) sitting on the lot, brand new, in 1991.Dealer owed invoice. Period. It ended up finally going to a "strange" gentleman who had an older Celebrity to trade, was upset they didn't make it any longer, and a dealer several hundred miles away saw it on our inventory sheet (through the DX program). He drove the several hundred miles to see it, fell in love (musty smell -the car, not him- and all), and bought it. the dealer sold it for about 50% of invoice (told you dad), but made up for way too much of it on the back end (yes, he really could sell refrigerators to Eskimos- poor guy is probably still making payments). Money was lost, but it could have been worse. The car had a $2500 cash bounty (dealer sanctioned of course) for like a year. And yes, the new owner got a full new car warranty (the good 5/50 before GM went 3/36) that started when he took ownership.

So, where did the 2k go on the 2008's? Mazda isn't offering support on the 2008's any more- at least not what they were. If the dealer didn't act on it, he owes what he owes. MAC might do a 0% or lease deal, but that's we said buy now! (do;t forget, you are losing residual/MF too if you are a lease guy).

Hope that helps.
    Thanks very much Shawn for explaining this process (in detail)!! One last follow-up... When dealer support is cut & the dealer 'buys' the vehicles, do they buy specific units? Or do they buy a certain # of units overall (ie 10 '08 CX-7's, etc)?

I ask this b/c when I bought a couple months ago, the incentive was flat $7K off any 08 CX-7. I called my salesguy a few days ago to check current incentives on remaining 08's, and all he provided was low financing rates and lease promos. Perhaps the ones they have left were not purchased?

Regardless, thanks agin for all the info Shawn!

So, where did the 2k go on the 2008's? Mazda isn't offering support on the 2008's any more- at least not what they were. If the dealer didn't act on it, he owes what he owes. MAC might do a 0% or lease deal
    Yeah, Shawn, thx for the info -- i actually understood most of it :-)

I'm curious -- once the dealer has 'bought' the car, and there are no more incentives or money coming from mazda, it seems like he'd be even more motivated to move it since every day is another day of carrying costs out of his pocket and there's no hope of getting any support from mazda. What happens when he gets to the point where he realizes he's not going to get enough cash for the vehicle to cover what he's got in it? Does he take the car to wholesale auction or something, or does he redouble efforts to sell it, even below his cost, just to get rid of it?

BTW, after I made my "$7k off msrp" offer to the dealer yesterday, i've had no email response at all. c'est la vie, i suppose...

Thx!
    jeff
    But what about the 2009's dealer cash, if any? All the 2008's are gone around here.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    The local MAZDA dealer only has 3 08' and 4 09' CX-7's in current stock. I didn't check or ask, but with only 7 vehicles in stock, they are probably sticking to MSRP pricing.
    My best "guess", and that's all I can give on this one, is that many dealers simply could not "buy" the cars off the floorplan. Sales are bad. And they have been bad. To "buy" a car off floorplan means the dealer had to pay that $18-22k out of pocket. Some dealers simply couldn't do it. If they couldn't pay it, they lost the incentives. They have the cars at invoice plus whatever interest they've floorplanned over their life on the lot. Getting that extra 2-3K is going to take a DeLorean, some plutonium, and enough roadway to hit 88mph :P

Things are bad, guys. They were bad a few years ago when I was more involved in my families dealerships. I can only imagine what's going to go down over the next few months. We already say Chrysler try to be saved by Daimler-Benz, only to have them say "I give up" in like two years. GM is ready to ditch Hummer, Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac in order to get bail-out cash (but keep Buick, whose average owner is 102- sorry, but c'mon. It's bad enough they killed Olds just as they had a decent product). I can only wonder what would have happened if the big three had (and I know this is a sore spot for an GM die-hard's here) taken an approach like Ferdinand Piech did with VW/Audi/Etc. Instead of building cars that competed against each other, they could have shared more technology and stopped duplication. Seriously, if GMC and GM Trucks weren't what they are, I don't think the F-150 would have been the best selling truck all these years.

A little more rambling on the way it works (worked)....While the cars are on "floorplan" (floorplan, again, is basically where one [hopefully only one, but that's another story] bank, be it a local bank, MAC, FMC, GMAC, ETC, "owns" all the dealers cars on the lot. There are different benefits with different banks, there's some forgiving in tough times, etc), the dealer is paying a type of prorated interest based on the invoice of the car. For example, when the car comes off the line and gets loaded to be delivered, the bank holding the floorplan is notified and sent a copy of the invoice. The invoice cost is added to the floorplan amount the dealer is paying on. When a vehicle gets sold, he reports it as sold and the bank holding the floorplan expects a check for that invoice amount. So, basically, the dealer really doesn't "buy" the cars that sit on the lot. they are financed (sometimes even used inventory can be floorplanned). The longer the car sits on the lot, the more floorplanning for that vehicle costs, and the less of that incentive money (like the initial 3% I mentioned) the dealer is going to get.

As times started getting tough (and this goes back to the 90's), the goal was to keep new inventory on the lot as short as possible to keep floorplan costs down, etc, that's why you started seeing all the "1$ over invoice deals". You really are/were paying $1 over what the dealer paid- invoice, but, he got some back in incentives after it was sold. The faster the inventory moved, the more of that incentive money he got. Consumers were getting smart, the internet made getting invoice price (as well as dealer incentives) easier, so many dealers just threw up their hands and sold new inventory for basically cost.

Now, some of us live in states that allow those ridiculous "doc fees". Most dealers here in NC charge about $499. These are 100% BS. The costs of the DMV processing is minimal at best, this is a way to recoup some of the money when selling at cost. I'm not a jerk, but I usually ask the dealer to admit the fee is bogus as a mater of principle. I say I know he needs to make a profit, but just be honest about it. Not every state allows this (I know my families dealerships are forbidden from doc fees- except actual cost which is documented on the buyers order AND sales contract, guaranteed trade-in values, and a bunch of the other marketing shenanigans).

Anyway, it just became easier to sell the car for invoice (well, a $1 over), get the incentive money, and try to steal the trade. The "program car", aka "off-lease", in all reality "Previous Avis/National/Enterprise rental bought at a dealer auction" and educated consumer "killed" the new car market.

Sadly, this is not just the big three. If you look at sales internationally, they are dying as well. BMW just reported it's biggest sales drop ever.

Even the racing series are losing out...look at all the manufacturers that are dropping...Honda is out of F1 (been there since the 60's), Audi's out of LeMan's.....

Scary, stuff.

Ok, hopefully I answered your question (and then some :P).
    You seem to know much more about how the auto business works than the average consumer. Here is my story..... I bought a new '07 CX-7 GT in October 2006. At that point in time, the salesperson simply pointed to the MSRP sticker, which was $30,655.00 and stated, "this is the price." I replied that another dealer in town was offering $2000.00 off msrp and this dealer matched that price in 2 seconds. So, I paid $28,655.00 plus taxes and fees. The dealer had about 90 Cx-7's in stock at the time. He now has less than 10 on the lot! Has the invoice price to the dealer changed since October 2006?
    [In case you are new here, I ramble, skip down some for the actual answer to his question if you don't want to read the latest chapter in my book :P ] Well, first of all, let me insert my usual disclaimer....I am not "officially" in the car business at this time. My family has quite a few dealerships and I grew up in and around the car business, I worked summers there before I could drive- washing cars on the lot, moving cars on the lot whenever I could get a chance to get behind the wheel, and then selling cars when I was old enough to get my sales license (requirement for that state). Much to my fathers chagrin, I went off to college instead of staying the "the business". My goal was to work summers/breaks (although that's not a good model for a sales job), but after a really hard first year at college and a profitable summer selling cars (things were good at one time), I took a leave of absence from the university and became a "car wh*re" (sorry, but that's what they call it). Do I know everything? Absolutely not- and I don't think anyone does, there is always something to learn. But I did learn a lot about the car business (and even more about life) over that time period. Lot's of experiences gained...not all a big deal (at least not to everyone), but I learned from them and that's what's important to me. And, if you lived in (or visited) the Delmarva Peninsula (Delaware, Eastern Shore Maryland, Upper VA, etc) during the late 80's through the mid 90's, there's a good chance you saw me on their TV commercials (hmmm...why was it that I moved so far away again? :P ). They pretty much have the monopoly on commercials during all the seeing local news programs (some of you are seeing light bulbs I am sure....ribbit). But I did get to see almost every aspect of the car business...what vehicles to put where on the lot and how to rotate them, keeping the batteries charged (nothing more embarrassing than having to jump start a car for the test drive) and making sure than manuals and floor mats haven't been stolen (bigger problem than you think- sales guys take them for used cars to avoid paying the charge back), I've been in sales, I've ordered stock, signed for $1.7 million worth of cars at an auction (when "program cars" first came out- a BIG ego trip for a 17 yr old kid) because my father was too busy scouting and buying, and walked a bank bag with a million in cash and checks in it to the bank (again, at that age, its an ego trip). I've done F&I (finance office, getting approvals, selling warranties, etc), appraised cars, and "repossessed" both employee demonstrators and cars we "signed" for. And lots more- it was an eventful time period. There was plenty of good- (for the race fans) I have pictures of Cale Yarborough holding me as a baby, I had breakfast with Dale and Richard Childress in their bus and played with this red headed kid named "Jr" while our dad's talked about the car business (Dale had dealerships too), and I drove the pace car for the pre-race parade laps at Harry Gant's last race at Dover Downs. I handed him the keys to the pace car afterwards, he made a speech to the crowd, and then gave the keys to Elmo Langley for the rest of the days duties. I had a Porsche (boy dad "loved' that- he was American only when it came to cars, except of course the Pininfarina body on his Allante, that was "different") and a motorcycle at 18. There were some neat times. But, I also worked a minimum of 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (Blue Laws, no sales on Sundays), straight commission (hero to zero, no sales, no check), and the "love" from the other salesmen because my father owned the place. But I would never trade that time back- like I said, I learned a lot about life....from the stories told by the revolving door of salesmen in and out, the credit reports from people from all walks of life, the pros and cons of "pre-judging' people when they walked in the door, etc....I learned a lot and I would not be where I am today without some of those lessons...the good and the bad. And I bet you couldn't guess what my career ended up being if you had a hundred tries :shades:

[The actual answer, although it may ramble some too- sorry, long day]
    Invoice. Invoice, again, is the "net" price of the car. It's the actual base price, plus options (factory installed), minus any package discounts (the key to buying and selling right there- knowing how to order and buy the right packages- I've seen "work trucks" with a bolt action six shooter and just air over vinyl price out within 2k of a fully loaded 1500 series truck), plus the destination charge (set price for that region/state). That is the "invoice" price, and it has a corresponding MSRP. you can get invoice right her on Edmund's or on man of the other car sites (but what else do you need with a site like this?). There may be other charges: A dealer made "add-on" sticker, aka a "bump sticker" (not legal in all states and you do NOT have to accept it, just say you don't want those options- if they give you a hard time, its probably not a place you want to do business with any way), Federal/State fees such as a "Gas Guzzler" tax, etc- but these are not considered part of the "invoice" price.

Invoice typically goes up by a few percent every year. If there is a major change to the body style or standard options, it may go up considerably. At the same time, poor sales the previous year, a good recoup on the tooling costs, etc, can actually make the invoice go down a few dollars (this is usually kept quiet as long as possible for obvious reasons...).

The 2008 Mazda CX7 Sport FWD had an MSRP of $23,750.00, invoice of $22,225.00, and a destination charge of $635.00 (note most MSRP listings have destination charge included, so you may see a little variance).

The 2009 Mazda CX7 Sport FWD has and MSRP of $23,900.00, invoice of $22,365.00, and a destination charge of $670.00.

(Note, the invoice price did not change from 2007 to 2008).

So, what do you get for your ~$140 increase on the 2009 Sport? Some more available options (not standard)on the Sport model, illuminated vanity mirrors, real leather on the steering wheel instead of vinyl (don't tell PETA), stated (not verified) loss of remote start and parking assist options, and you get an aux/mp3 input and mp3 playing capability. Oh, and a leather/"metal look" gear shift knob instead of plastic (man- if I had only known that a few months ago! :P )

The biggest difference is that, and this may change in this market, you are not going to see the 7k off incentives some of us got a few months ago for 8-10 months- if they come.

Now, as far as the rest of your post.....and this is free advice that is worth what you paid......

-Never buy at the first dealer, especially if you haven't researched (see #2). It will be there later, no matter how many "deals he has working on it". And if it's not, I assure you he'll find you it's twin pretty quickly.
    -Don't walk into a de
    So does the Mazda dealer's actual inventory determine whether they charge MSRP or give 7,000 off MSRP ? The dealer I bought my cx-7 had 90 in stock in 10/2006 and currently has only 7 in stock.
    Sorry if I confused you. Invoice price on a particular vehicle (say for example we are talking about one particular 2008 Mazda CX7, vin #JM3ER293480101103) actually never changes. Say our example CX7 came in Aug 2007 as a 2008 model. The dealer floorplans the invoice for that vehicle (lets say $22300). If that vehicle was still sitting on his lot today (yikes), 16 months later, surrounded by 2009's, the invoice price is still $22300. However, rebates, incentives, dealer cash, advertising assistance (once reported sold) come back to the dealer (or the floorplannning bank, depending). Invoice is and always was $22,300, that was his "net" cost with MSRP being just that, what the Manufacturer Suggested as the Selling Price (based as much on marketing as it is on cost of the vehicle in all honesty). Which is more attractive to the "average" buyer, vehicle A with an inflated sticker of $50k but is on "sale" for $15k off, or if that vehicle MSRP was $36k and was on "sale" for 1k off. Same money, but the first situation sure looks like a better deal. Either way, you paid 35k for that (fictitious and totally unrelated) vehicle.

So, invoice never changes. The dealer "pays" (finances) invoice when it comes off the assembly line, and he technically still owes invoice when it sells, whether that be the day the delivery truck arrives (I've seen people follow a delivery truck in for almost 100 miles because they spotted a vehicle they wanted), or 150 days later when there may be $5k in incentives. While you get those incentives the day you buy, he doesn't get them until the vehicle is reported sold.

The dealer near you could be in several different situations. He may have the 2008's leftover, but was smart enough to "buy" them on the final day on incentives, giving himself that extra $7k-$9k to play with (but the invoice is still the same- don't get too hung up on invoice...that's what the dealer paid and is on his copy of the window sticker most likely in a safe in the sales office. You can buy at invoice and honestly say you bought at "cost", but if there were a few $k in rebates and incentives, you left money on the table - and in his pocket). I am not sur ehow things are in your area, but around Charlotte, there are several "Big 3" (unfortunately soon to be "Small to Middle 1 or 2") that sell all their new inventory at $1 over invoice from the day the hit the lot (usually excluding Corvette, Viper, special editions, etc....usual fine print). How do they stay in business at $1 a sale? Well, they obviously wouldn't. They usually have that made up $499 "doc fee" (there's a little profit), and then they get the advertising hold back when it's reported sold (around 3% until close to the new model year, then jumps to 5% or so). Then, hopefully, you have a trade and/or finance. Even if you trade in a beater they can expect to pick up $500 or so from a wholesaler. If its clean, they can try to low balll you a bit and make the money on the sale of yours instead. And then there is financing....F & I as it was called when I was there (finance and insurance). If there are any deals I "regret" (as in guilt) from my car days, they average 5:1 in the F&I office compared to the sales floor.

Hope that helps.
    -Shawn
    Sounds like the average customer can never find out what the Mazda factory pays the dealer in rebates, incentives, dealer cash and advertising incentives when a vehicle is sold. You have finally explained the "1 dollar over invoice" game in a way that makes perfect sense. When I was buying the Cx-7 in October,2006 for $2300.00 off MSRP, one of the dealer managers offered to have the Mazda "rep" call me and verbally confirm to me the "invoice" pricing for the car, which she assured me would match what was on Edmonds at the time. The Mazda "invoice" price probably is correct, or close to correct, it is the "secret" and confidential deals between the dealer and the factory that the customer will not know about. I'm sure Mazda and the dealers have a revolving relationship that changes sometimes on a daily basis.
  • stadler311stadler311 Member Posts: 3
    i hope this works. this is my first post. ive been reading responses to prices on the 08 cx-7. i bought mine sat. 1-3-09 and picking it up tomorrow. heres the deal i just got. new 2008 cx-7 sport fwd, bose stereo/moonroof pack. (2 main things i wanted) also came with some others stuff like the wheel lock, cargo net. etc. MSRP was right around $27,000 out the door with taxes and and all i paid $20,283 (i had a trade-in and got $800 for it) i live in indiana and contacted about 8-10 dealers in the state and surrounding states via email and over the course of 3 weeks got it down to what I wanted in the car for the price. Found it now I get it tomorrow. cant wait.
    congrats! I was hoping to get a similar deal awhile back but couldn't find anything more than around $5k off the leftover '08's so eventually i just gave up. I'm awaiting the launch of the new Mazda3 now; going to see what it's all about and then determine whether I'll buy a CX7 or a new 2010 mazda3.

if you don't mind my asking, where in indiana did you buy? Were you able to locate many leftover '08s?

Thx.
    Jeff
  • Monki79Monki79 Member Posts: 1
    $ 2500
    I bought it at Tom Roush Mazda in Westfield, IN (just northeast of Indianapolis). They were the nicest most helpful people. If you are anywhere near here ask for James he helped me and he was upfront and very quick to respond. They were able to locate 3 of the model I wanted with the features I wanted. So they might have more with other features. So basically, I shopped a few dealers, got it down roughly $2500 off the MSRP and then I got $3750 dealer cash.

I hope that helps.

Todd
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    nope, engine has been reporgramed to take regular gas.
    I own a CX-7 GT-AWD and I am currently gettting about 15(city) /19(highway) MPG.
    ;)
    I just picked up the cx-7 yest. 1-7-09. I was wrong The $20,238 didnt include the tax and destination or the indiana whell tax. So all said and done it came out to around $22,500. and ohhh im very happy now. We have a 2004 mazda 6 also amd this cx-7 is just as much fun to drive. i highly recomend the bose stereo pack. it sounds great.
  • lazyfrogzlazyfrogz Member Posts: 1
    Is there any clearance deals for the 2008 MAZDA CX-9 GT in the New York Metro area? Please recomment some dealships.. much appreciated.
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    I got a quote on a 2009 Sport FWD (no packages) of $18489. The sticker is $24570 with destination. Is that as good as it's going to get? I'm pushing for a little more off. We'll see!

Richie
    $6k sounds pretty darned good to me. However, the revised 2010's (with the non-turbo 2.5 4-banger) will be out in April/May, according to a rep I talked to at the StL car show recently. I wonder if deals on 2009's will get even better as the 2010's start to hit showrooms?
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the reply. I just can't wait that long. Daughter totaled her Altima. I thought it was a pretty good price too. I'll get the CX-7 and she gets my 2003 mazda 6. I hate to give it up!!

Richie
    as another pricepoint comparison, back in mid-Sept 08, we bought a new 08 for $7K off MSRP, or $17.5K. 09's had just started showing up on the lots. we did not have to haggle for this offer, as they had taken out a 1/2 page newspaper ad promoting the $7K off "all remining 08's". was in-and-out in less than an hour....

at the time, a few folks on the board speculated as to how / why they would make such a low offer. one talked about how dealers get a chance to 'buy' from the mfr at cost less incentives and can then remove from the floorplan.

i guess i ramble about all this for a couple reasons...
    1) i have not seen too many others picking up new CX-7's for $7K off MSRP, making your $6K off offer sound attractive.
    2) while it never hurts to try & get them lower, it would not surprise me if they're already there.
    3) of course, w/ the current environment, who knows what type of mfr incentives are currently being offered just to move any vehicle! ;)