Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    Friend of mine works at Nissan and had a chance to take the 07 home for a couple of nights and said it is no comparision to the 06 model. More room, more power, MUCH quieter, and supurb ride. I think Nissan is going to kick some but with this model.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I spent a little time looking over the Nissan lineup for 2007. Interesting to note that while the Altima is larger and more expensive than the Sentra or Versa, the EPA rating for all of them is in the mid-30's on the highway. The Altima gives just a little less than either of the smaller cars - maximum of 2 mpg less than the Versa! A real sport-economy sedan, with a six-speed (or CVT), with real room inside. Now that's gonna give Honda (and everyone else) a run for the money. I'll be at the Nissan dealer's early for this one.

Another interesting item - the Sentra lists the same driver's headroom, and more driver's legroom, than the Altima! This could be quite a fun car as well.
  • simon76simon76 Member Posts: 8
    late November or early December. I called around a few dealerships in the NYC metro area and they all told me the same thing...late Nov or early December. The Jersey City dealership told me it's because they still have a lot of 06's on the lot.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Gosh - I wonder why that is... (Ironically, the crop of Altima 4-cyl engines built since March are probably the most mechanically bullet-proof in Nissan's history.)
  • cadellcadell Member Posts: 10
    I sat in it. You did not. This is my last post here. I was just trying to help.
  • mhattrupmhattrup Member Posts: 77
    My local dealer (central Washington state) said they were told the 07 Altimas are being held until January of 07 now. They guessed it was because there are a lot of 06's sitting around. I called Nissan and was told they are still releasing in November... I wonder if the dealer was confused with the new hybrid release date or if the PR person I spoke with on the phone has old info? Anyone else heard anything?
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    As I said over in the midsize sedan thread, this is a terrible review for the new Altima. They use words like cheap and spartin for the interior, buck rogers tail lights,bucking from the over sensetive brakes. I would like to see more comments on the interier from people who have been in the new Altima in light of this review. If the interior is actually as bad as indicated then Nissan might be in trouble with this car,even before it hits the showroom, and I really would like to buy one. Old Mike
    Not a perfect review (preview?), but I do recall the C/D guy saying that it is a "pleasure to drive". I couldn't say that about the Camry.

The pedal touchiness may be able to be tweaked prior to launch next month. At least the throttle response could be done in firmware - that could even be re-flashed at the dealer. The brakes - hmmm. I just hope Nissan doesn't keep making it so hard to get a 2.5S with ABS.
    Based on the excerpt below it doesn't sound the review was that bad? Spartan fun I can deal with... especially if the exterior package looks as good in person as it does in the pics posted on that website a few posts back. I love the "Buck Rogers" tail lights... but come on they need to get with the times those are definitely "Buzz Lightyear" tail lights! :-)

From the reveiw:

In any trim level, the Altima is a pleasure to drive. The ride is sporty-firm without being too harsh or uncomfortable for long drives, and there is ample room inside for drivers of all sizes, XXLT included. The speed-sensitive power steering is never too light—as such systems often are—and offers road-feel on par with the best in the class, namely, the Honda Accord. The interior almost looks cheap, but details such as the contours in the dash mat above the three central air vents are just enough to save it. Instead of cheap, it comes across as spartan. The base inline four-cylinder has enough grunt to propel the car respectably, and a V-6 Altima is virtually guaranteed to cause fun.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    In Automobile Mag they wrote the Altima interior is better then the 05-06 model.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Hi folks, I'm an 03 Accord coupe owner considering a replacement. Saw a spy shot of a new Altima coupe in another enthusiast forum; it looks somewhat interesting, having the new Altima's front and back ends with the mid-section (the notched C-pillar, especially) looking like the G-35's. Has anyone heard/read about this variant ? Pls. email me if you want a link to the other website.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Intrigued by the Altima, but that rear headroom looks terrible (and measures 4" less than in front. If I am buying a 4 door I want a useable rear seat. Does not look good right now. Style needs to take a backseat to function! ;)
    This is a worry for me as well. It seems that both the Versa and Sentra have better rear seat headroom! 4" less than in front may not be that bad, especially since the front of the Altima has great front seat headroom.

I do spend all of my time in the front seat, though. And since it's more comfortable in the front for me, and since most 4-person groups have a range of sizes of people, it may still work better for me...especially if those 2 back seat passengers have lots of luggage.

The smaller folks always will be more comfortable in airplanes than I will; perhaps this is my chance for revenge...j/k
    From the pics I saw on this website http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/NissanAltima/Photos2007.htm
    I didn't think the interior looked too bad. I thought the cloth was kind of plain looking (from the pics anyway) but I thought the leather interior looked pretty nice. I'm all over the map right now anyway ... I just bought an 06 Civic Si tonight! I've been trying to nurse my 99 Passat along for over a year now (first waiting for Subie Legacy to come out with folding rear seats only to have them drop my color choice for 07! Then I picked up on the Altima and thought I'd wait for it but my Passat is starting to make ominous noises in the steering column and front suspension. Then this used (1165 miles) 06 Civic Si turns up with an extended Honda Certified Warranty and I told my wife that I think I might buy it and trade it on an Altima when they eventually come out (if I really like the Altima). I told her I figured the most I might loose is $1000 on the trade in and I've got at least that much in repairs on my Passat. To my amazement she went along with the idea!
    For more info go to nissannews.com Old Mike

The starting Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the 2007 Altima is $17,950 for Altima 2.5 with a refined 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine and 6-speed manual transmission. The Altima is again also offered with an advanced 3.5-liter V6 engine – starting at an MSRP of $24,000 for Altima 3.5 SE with 6-speed manual transmission.

“The Altima 2.5 provides an incredible value for the money, with its starting MSRP only $200 more than the model it replaces – despite the new exterior and interior design, enhanced handling and performance, user-friendly technology and numerous other refinements,” said Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division. “The new Altima follows the tremendous consumer response and sales success of the previous generation. No longer just an alternative in the segment, it has now become a true leader.”

The new Altima is available in four other models: Altima 2.5 S with 6-speed manual transmission at $19,800; Altima 2.5 S with Nissan’s advanced Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission) transmission at $20,300; Altima 3.5 SE with CVT priced at $24,500; and the Altima 3.5 SL with CVT at $28,400. An additional model, the 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid is scheduled to go on sale in select markets in early 2007, with pricing for that model to be announced at a later date.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    It is dificult to correlate the optional packages.
    But it is a start.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    It's actually pretty high if you look at the V6 models. The Technology package costs $6400 and includes everything in the leather and premium packages and that puts the car over $31k not including optional stability control. There are a lot features not standard on the 3.5SE model. I thought they would be a little more aggressive in terms of pricing but they decided to make all the good stuff optional.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Yes they went wild on the option pricing and deconted the SE from 05, such as no standard fogs or speed sensitive volume,possibly other things not sure. They may find out what VW found that the 36000 Passat or over 30000 Jetta dont't sell well. But their bread and butter is the 2.5S which has a reasonable price. Old Mike
  • swhitehornswhitehorn Member Posts: 14
    jjx456,

Car & Driver has been pro Honda & anti-Nissan for some time now. I wouldn't put much stock in their preliminary & prejudiced review. You will find a much more detailed review at www.nctd.com. They absolutely rave about the new Altima, especially in the V6 SL trim level. According to the editor, this new CVT is the type of transmission that Mercedes & BMW has only dreamt of, but never succeeded in building.
    Nissan's best in class engine gets about the same epa mileage as Honda's V6, but will literally run circles around it. Not only does the Altima have 26 more horsepower, but it also has a much better transmission than either of Honda's transmissions, the 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic. NCTD goes on to say that this is the classiest interior in it's price range.
    The reviewer points out that Nissan now has the best navigation system available in the mid size segment. Not only does it have voice activation, but real time traffic routing.
    As for trunk capacity, the Altima tops the class once again with 17.9 cu ft, a whopping 3.8 ft more than Honda. Furthermore, Nissan's splits 40/60, whereas Honda is all or none.
    Let's not forget about the base 4 cylinder engine, either. Nissan has a clear win over all rivals with epa estimates of 26/34 and 175 horsepower. You can have your cake and eat it too. (Most power & highest epa estimates.)
    One final note. Nissan has increased their sales moreso than any other auto manufacturer in North America for the last five years. It's true they have taken a hit in the last year, but with several all new products coming out this year such as Versa, Sentra, Altima, Maxima, & a newly revised Infiniti G35, Nissan is set to make yet another comeback. Their market capitalization (the total value of a company's outstanding shares of stock) is second in the world only to Toyota at $105 billion. (Honda's is about $65 billion & General Motors is $17 billion.)

San Antonio Steve
    Great review! I want one, probabley a 2.5SL with ABS. Disapointed that the 2.5 won't have stability control.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "One final note. Nissan has increased their sales moreso than any other auto manufacturer in North America for the last five years."

Toyota has increased as much as Nissan did from 2002-2005 in terms of sales in NA.
    The new issue of MT has a brief road test of the Altima, they liked it but werent blown away by any means. 0-60 was 6.6secs for a 3.5 SE with CVT auto. They indicated the car wasnt quite as changed as it should have been considering the competitiveness of this segment.
    0-60 in 6.6 secs is more than I need or want.
    Reviewers bring their own bias to the publication.
    I just received a call from the Jersey City, NJ dealership telling me they have some 2007 altimas in stock now and will be going on sale this saturday. He didn't go into detail but he did say they are going to be having some lease deals on it.
    In St Louis tomorrow.
  • carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    While measuring the 0-60 of a family car (that what most of us will use it for) is great; the quality of ride should be superb based on comments from some Nissan folks. With today's gas prices, 0-60 in 6.6 will get expensive in a hurry but you have to live little.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Anyone have a link to pricing?
  • abc03abc03 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove an 07 2.5S with the SL package & ABS. Sweet ride! Much different looking in person. It has the kind of fat back end look of the Maxima. The push button start is really cool, but the best thing is the CVT trans. It shifts with NO jerking motion at all. Unbelievable for a 4 cyl. If you have the radio up loud enough you can take off from a red light, floor it and be at 65mph and not feel it shift once. They said they would sell it for sticker, $25K, HA! They coulden't give me a lease price because they had to call Nissan for the rate & resid. Going back tonight to see what they tell me. I will update...
  • swhitehornswhitehorn Member Posts: 14
    Below you will find Popular Mechanics test drive results in their November issue:

NISSAN ALTIMA

Altima prices begin under $20,000—that's a bargain.

Family-Size Fun

Large, front-drive family sedans aren't usually at home on twisty mountain roads. But the all-new Nissan Altima is. This car loves to be driven hard, as we found during a day's drive around California's rugged Monterey Peninsula. From behind the wheel the car feels much smaller than its predecessor. In truth, it sits on a new chassis that shaves only 1 in. of wheelbase. That inch pays big dividends in road poise. The engines, either a 175-hp Four or a 270-hp V6, sit deeper in the engine bay for a lower center of gravity. The front halfshafts are angled equally, so torque steer is virtually nil. The V6 SE model is a screamer and our choice—with either the six-speed manual or new CVT. And the seats are among the best in the segment. — BEN STEWART

Inside, it's hard to recognize as an Altima. The hard plastics are gone, replaced by soft, high-quality materials. Now it feels like a more expensive car.

San Antonio Steve
    I found a couple places that have spy pics of the Altima Coupe - It looks really good in my opinion - the rumor is it will show up at the Detroit auto show and be released mid year. Very similar to the G-35 Coupe in terms of proportion. The Car & Driver review showed a 5.9 0-60 time on the sedan they tested. They actually were quite high on the interior but not to enthused about the manual transmission's action. They also didn't really like the exterior which I think really looks good in pictures and can't wait to see in person. My local dealer was saying it wouldn't be released until January but now I see a few posts that show its already on the lots in some places. I wonder what the deal is?
  • automoblogautomoblog Member Posts: 6
    There was some sort photo shoot in LA on the coupe. I'm really excited about it, I love the 07 Altimas, and I always said it would look awesome as a coupe. If it comes out, I WILL buy one.
    With the success of the G35 coupe, and the shape of the 07 Altima, a coupe version is possible. To have almost the same performance as a G36 coupe for about 10K less, I think they would fly off the showroom..

Tony
    Agreed, Tony. While I don't think it will have aynwhere close to the 'G36' performance, I believe they will still fly off dealers lots. Plus, with Nissans generally sporty image, having only one coupe (350Z) is questionable.

egon
  • ledwingledwing Member Posts: 31
    just got my first look at the 07 altima 3.5. V nice looking, but that price list is missing all the option packs. this baby can quickly run into a bunch of dough, more than last years SE-R. It was not prepped, so had to test a maxima with the belt drive. when hammered, that is one wierd feeling. there is also a bit of a balancing act with the steering wheel. waiting for more.
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    Saw and sat in a new Altima yesterday afternoon. It was in the back lot at SouthPoint Nissan in Austin being prep'd for a car show or something.

Granted, it was just unwrapped and not totally cleaned, but I was slightly less than impressed overall. The Sticker was removed, so I could not get price data and the like, but it was reasonably loaded with equipment.

The back end of the new Altima is sexy - a bit fat like the Maxima, but also a bit long, and good looking. I have to get used to those taillights going halfway up the fender - perhaps it stood out because the car was black. The front end from certain angles (particularly a 3/4s view) looks somehow odd - it had to do with the chrome bar at the bottom of the grill being so far forward combined with the design of the intake integrated into the bumper piece, and the hood looked a little short and steep somehow for my taste. Still that was only at certain angles, and overall the exterior is pretty good.

Inside I was actually disappointed. It did not help that the console storage bin cover on a new, never driven vehicle, was broken (unable to stay closed), but the general feel of the materials was only "fair" in my estimation - not too cheap, and not too nice. The tilt/telescope on the steering wheel either kept messing up or was broken - if that is how it is supposed to work I would never risk an adjustment while moving. Leather felt standard for the class and the seat was okay.

I flipped on the radio and is sounded dead and flat. Dead and flat like an AM radio from a 1970 Pontiac Catalina. I played with the adjustments and it did not help. I could swear there were no rear speakers, but there were. The sound system in this vehicle was atrocious but given the vehicle I sat in was pretty well loaded I assume the sound system was near top of the line. Nissan needs to change it out.

I couldn't drive it, but got to start it. Love the push button start. That was the best thing about being inside. Hopefully this was a first production loser copy of the car, and the full production runs will be better.
    Just driving back from Trader Joe's this evening, and a Nissan dealership was RIGHT THERE. So I stopped, and saw a nice 2.5S in Red/Maroon, with the Convenience Package. The salesman was great, and really pushed me into driving it - he wanted to drive it as well. The 6 mile loop showed me a few things I had expected, and a few things I didn't:

It's a sharp-looking car. Nice interior, comfortable seats, (8-way power with CP), lots of leg and headroom. The steering tilts and telescopes. It's easy to tilt, but since there's only one release handle, it's tricky to telescope. With the CP are Cruise and Radio controls on the leather-wrapped wheel. Very nice. Radio sounded very good. I'm assuming the earlier poster was looking at a car that didn't have it's antenna installed yet, or something - this one sounded just fine. But I was listening for the engine, so I had it off. I tried the A/C and heat - very powerful blower, and very quiet, even at full-blast.

It starts with the Button - the Intelli-key is standard! Smooth, quiet idle. Once in Drive and on the road, there's very little wind or road noise. It made the engine sound, when pushed past 3k, seem starkly loud - it's really the only noise there. The steering is the best part - very smooth and linear. It corners very well at what I'll call seven tenths. The trans was very unobtrusive, and it does included the manual shift mode on the 2.5S. Unexpected, and nice. I tried a few manual shifts, and it did what you'd expect - allowed a downshift while entering a curve to get revs up, and then a quicker take-off after the curve. It hold a lower ratio for engine braking down descents as well.

The trunk seems very large, but I was disappointed in two things: the seat cushion doesn't fold forward (like the Sentra) for a truly flat load floor; and the trunk-lid hinges are the old-style that descend into the trunk while closing. Otherwise very wide and and deep storage.

All in all, very pleasant to drive for $22,175. ABS adds only $300, and most of the Altimas on this lot had it.

I'm awaiting the call to announce when they get a 6-speed manual in stock.

Just my 2 cents.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The interior plastcs are improved from the last generation model. However I didn't like the exterior as much as the 02-06 model. The exterior kinda looks "out there" for a 4dr sedan. Its going to take some time to get used too the exterior. Trunk space is good I think. I talked to a salesman today that sells Nissan's. He said they sold a couple of 07 Altima's at MSRP. He said they just got the 07 Altima's in on Wednesday. I was at an auto show today so I did see all the cars. It looks like Nissan has spruced up their interiors of late in most of their cars of late.
    They reviewed the Altima in the lastest issue and were more impressed than MT was. They didnt have much negative to say about the car and felt the interior was greatly improved. I want to sit in one myself and see. My biggest problem is the price of the V6 with options, it really can get expensive. They should have gone for more value on the V6 models to undercut camry.
  • wam161wam161 Member Posts: 5
    Yes the price is qute high but there is now a 1000 rebate on the 07 Max which has not been out that long. So unless the Altima sales really take off, I would expect rebates after the newness is over with. The 2.5S is there real volume seller so perhaps they do not care that much about how many 3.5 se and sl models they sell. Old Mike
    Nissan has been pouring on the incentives lately so you might be right. I would expect at least $500 cash back in the near future. The SE is quite pricey compared to the Saturn Aura and it only gives you a handful of additional features for all that money.
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    I had a brief test drive in the new 07 Altima 2.5 SL
    Here are my impressions:

1) Engine – same as before – noisy, but less torque due to CVT. In order to accelerate quickly you need to floor it. I hated that, because it took some time to get this thing going. I hated the noise though, it sounded bad.
    2) I don’t know what to think of this CVT, I guess that some people love it – I hate it – it provides such a huge disconnect between you and the car – think of it in terms of Manual vs. Auto – this CVT is like that.
    3) The interior was much better than the 06, and I loved the Intelligent KEY system, which was cool. The gauges looked much better than the old orange ones.
    4) The steering killed me. It is like driving a Chevy Malibu – same electronic steering, what the hell were you thinking Nissan? After driving Mazda 6 and 3, the steering in the Altima sucked big time.
    5) The ride was ok, nothing special.
    6) I hope that the 3.5L SE is much better, because I would never buy the 2.5

I’d take a Honda Accord with the 2.4L (I can’t believe I just said that ) over the new Altima 2.5
  • denver_nissandenver_nissan Member Posts: 18
    We received two 3.5 models at the dealership yesterday. A red one with leather, and a white one with the works. It had Nav (a smart touchscreen system), backing camera, great stereo w subwoofer, etc. very nice car. I have not had opportunity to drive one yet. I for one am a big fan of the CVT. It is smooth and quiet, and needs no service, ever. I do like it with the more powerful engines (the 3.5). Haven't experienced it yet with the 2.5 liter.
    I never thought I would say this, but as an every day driver, I think I would be OK with the 2.5L engine. Of course the 3.5 would be better, but the extra cost and fuel economy might not be worth it with the 2.5L having 175 hp. Of course I haven't driven it yet, and I plan to wait for the 2-door anyway, so that might change.
    The 2007 altima has finally been updated on the nissan website. You can now configure it the way you want...

www.nissanusa.com
    FIrst off we have a 05 Altima 3.5SE with 5spd auto.. Love the car, and the room in had, the engine is sinfull and transmisson works very well for the engine..

I bought a 07 Versa SL w/CVT and Convience package, and for $700 it comes with Bluetooth and Intella-Key (plus other items.)

Now what I think of the 07 Altima..

Its over priced.....

I think Nissan missed the mark on pricing, for a fully loaded 3.5SE, you can buy a Infiniti G35, sorry guys, I'd take the Infiniti, MUCH better leather, better interior items then what Nissan uses.

Nissan needs to make the Bluetooth a standlone option like they did in the Maxima last year. Charge $350 for it, people would flock to the car...

I really think Nissan made a mistake, a lot of people don't want to spent $4400 for a package, in which some of those item are far less on other cars in nissan line up...

I love the styling of the car,but.... The Price...

Tony
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    Funny I said the same thing to the salesguy, flightnurse. I asked what it would go for reasonably decked out with the 3.5 and he said 30k or so, and I said I'd skip it and get a G35. Its a no-brainer call at that price level. Expect deep discounts here. Pay near sticker on the new Altima and your financial acumen is immediately in question.
    Well I agree, but I bought my versa in JUly of this year, the first one sold at my nissan dealer and paid less then sticker for it. But only time well tell, I plan on going on this sunday to see the new altima and talk to the salemen to see what they have to say.

Tony