Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• dodgeidiotdodgeidiot Member Posts: 4
    we had our new transfer case put in, (technically the 3rd)went to another dealer 60 miles away, they drove the car, said there definetly was a problem with the 4wd. after getting new transfer case, it goes into 4wd in just a couple of feet, instead of almost a mile. It is still is little tricky getting it in, but it is improved. I refuse to go to local dealer, and have told district manager same. I am still planning on getting out from under dodge's thumb as soon as my lease is up. (unable to lemon law), and don't know of any legal recourse to go after local dealer for telling me eight times there was no problem. any ideas??? We were lied to about having vacuum system 4wd, when it is mechanical, and the 2nd service shop is highly suspicious that the local shop really replaced the (2nd) transfer case. Was told to leave my car in 4wd until spring!
  • nab00nab00 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone out there know a company that makes a chrome grill. E-mail me at NBor101@aol.com
    Thanks.
  • durangortguy1durangortguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I was the only one that had that problem...I had a '99 SLT+ with full-time 4WD and back in January, it started acting like it wasn't completing the shift into full-time (feeling like it was locked in part-time - dragging wheels in corners even though full-time light was illuminated, etc.). I took it to one of my local dealers and they told me that was the way full-time 4WD was supposed to behave. I told them that I had 13,000 miles on the vehicle it just started acting like that, and they had the nerve to tell me that it was acting INCORRECTLY for the first 13,000 miles.

Took matters into my own hands and crawled under the vehicle - transfer case was corroded with salt and other road grime, so I cleaned it off with some water and WD-40, and then adjusted the transfer case shift linkage and everything operated fine. Never got a service questionairre from DaimlerChrysler though...and for once I really wanted one...would have given them a piece of my mind with their service people trying to make me feel like I was the stupid one.
    Does anyone know for sure if the Durangos now include headlamp delay as a standard feature?

I just bought a 2001 R/T last Monday and when I drove home from work the other evening with my lights on, I pulled into the garage and shut off the ignition and then shut off the headlamps, got out of the car and walked around the front and noticed the lights were still on. Talked to my father who drives a '99 Grand Cherokee and he told me that his GC did the same thing..and that it was a headlamp delay feature. Looked in the owners manual for the Durango and didn't see anything about that being a feature, but tried the same process again (turned ignition on, turned headlamps on, turned ignition off, turned headlamps off) and then waited 60 seconds and, low and behold, the lamps shut themselves off.

Just wondering if anyone knew for sure if this was definitely added as a standard feature mid-production on the '01 Durango?
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    Standard or not , but I have that on my 01 Slt Plus too, I know there's a part in the manuel that mentions it though. Last weekend took a trip to Northern Wisc. loaded down with winter stuff, 2 kids and my wife.......round trip about 500 miles......averaged right around 17.8 mpg (4.7, 3.55Ls Pt 4x4). Though I was in heaven after having a 98, 5.2 3.92 Ls Fulltime 4x4 Slt Plus that never got better then 13 mpg on a good day. Catch ya all later........Have a great Weekend.......
  • paul_njpaul_nj Member Posts: 6
    I think the Durango is a kick [non-permissible content removed] looking truck. But based on some of these comments, it seems like reliability is spotty and nothing would annoy me more than droping 30 gs on a truck that has all sorts of problems when i've beat the hell out of my 15 g civic for 130,000 miles with no problems.

Would u guys, and ladies, do it again?
  • durangortguydurangortguy Member Posts: 1
    Just did do it again...Traded my '99 SLT+ in on a '01 R/T. Besides the problem with the full-time 4WD (which was more a problem with the service department that I took it to and not the vehicle itself), I never had a problem with my '99, and that is why I didn't even hesitate to buy the '01.

Every car manufacturer has it's problems...it's just that most people who come to this page come to post their problems. But, remember, these people represent only a small portion of the total number of Durangos out on the road today.

I've been a Mopar guy all my life. The R/T makes my 7th in the past 15 yrs...without any major problems on the first 6(knock on wood). Granted, I don't keep my vehicles that long, but it's not because of problems...I bought the R/T because I had a "sports car itch" that I had to scratch, and because the interior upgrades for '01 put my '99 to shame.

I was just at the local auto show, and I checked everything out, from the Nissans and the Toyotas to the new Trailblazer and Envoy, and I came back to the Durango again. Although the I liked them all, the Durango is nice for a guy my size (6'2", 220 lbs) and is nice because it's big enough to carry a new 36" TV home, but small enough that you can park it in most parking garages without having to worry about the size and the width.
  • bigsilverbigsilver Member Posts: 2
    Just started today. I have a durango with a 4.7 liter and the power door locks have just started going haywire. They go on and off all the time even when the vehicle is not running. I went into the fuse box to take the # 13 fuse out to disconnect the power door locks. Anyone have an idea what is going on?
  • luvmydurangoluvmydurango Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '98 SLT 5.9 since December 1997 and LOVE it - I've taken it offroad, and it performed some of the obstacle courses like a cakewalk. I've only had one minor problem in the 72,000 miles and that was with 4WD Low. They just had to adjust the transfer case. It's very comfortable on long trips (had a civic too,and that's too wearing on long trips). Yes - it's true -many people come here more to complain, so I'd like to put in a good word for the Durango. When I bought it, it was rated a "Recommended Buy" from one of the consumer magazines. I haven't seen the latest reviews, but speaking from 3 years experience, I just can't see buying anything else. Just for the record.... I've owned 7 Japanese made cars in the past 14 years, so I did my research before buying an American made car, and my hats off to Dodge!
  • markc6markc6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango SLT+. As long as you leave the heater temperature setting on high, you get warm air in the back also (out of the bottom of console). However, as soon as you adjust it only 2 notches on the temperature control, the air becomes very cold coming out of the console. Makes for very unpleasant long trips. Dealer wouldn't beleive me at first till we proved there was at least a 30 degree difference between the two!! So far it does not seem to be a problem with pre 2000 models and I don't know about 2001's. Chrylser is supposed to be checking out for me, but I need any comments anyone may have. Also, if you are having this issue, please contact Chrysler so they know how widespread it is!!!!
  • billmcp80billmcp80 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Durango ST in Patriot Blue about 3 months ago. I recently noticed several long scratches in the paint in about 4 separate places - on the hood, the top, and above the left back window. After paying much more for this vehicle than I ever have for any vehicle I have been very careful to try and keep it well maintained but have become very frustrated. Since it is only driven on well paved roads and I have not hit any low hanging tree limbs I am wondering if the Patriot Blue paint is flawed. It seems that even a fingernail will cause a deep scratch that cannot be removed by buffing. Has anyone else had a problem with this color?
  • patman5patman5 Member Posts: 1
    markc6 Mar 5, 2001 9:35am

My 2000 has the same problem and so does my friends. I'm sure they all have this problem. How do you go about pushing Dodge to fix this problem? I know of other posts on other web sites that depict the exact same problem.
  • newtruck9newtruck9 Member Posts: 7
    ok, we have 2000 slt, big tires, 4.7, and with AC off, heater off, windows up..... the WIND NOISE is so loud when going aver 50 mph cant hear radio... And at 70mph... shoot it down right blows. Wind noise, 13 mpg average gas use after 6 months and 11k miles, poor quality ( no breakdowns ) but just those 3 reasons are reason to by a tahoe/yukon/suburban... PLEASE help with wind noise ( maybe a bug shield? )
    look real hard, if you can only aford 26-29k then you might have to settle for the durango,.. i would NOT get the 23-25k sport version. Just left the Auto Show in Chicago, and the new ford explorer apears to be an alterative, 3rd row seat, little bigger ( not really a ford fan ).... but if you MUST have a 3 row sport ute, drop the 31-34K and get the Tahoe, 100% better that durango, heck the landrover will only cost you 32K, and a montero ( not sport!! ) will only set you back 30-31. So too buy or not to buy....... i would not buy another...... ( even though it did and does beat the current blazer and explorer ) AND A NOTE TO ALL who would drop 33,000 ( even after making a good deal with dealer ) on a 2001 leather 5.9 Durango ...... i bet you would not do it again.
    First of all, what do you mean settle for the Durango? All the stuff you mentioned in your post would be settling. The Ford Explorer may look a little different on the outside, but on the inside it still reeks of Ford (good for some Ford fans, but for those of us who don't like Ford, the interior still looks like a Pinto.) And there is absolutely NO storage behind the third row seat in the Explorer...at least you have a good 18 inches or so behind the third row seat of the Durango.

The LandRover and the Montero do not provide the interior room that the Durango provides, both for occupant comfort and for cargo. And the Tahoe...yeah, it's a nice truck, but it is a LOT bigger than a Durango. For those of us who have one-car garages or need to park in parking garages on a regular basis, not to mention the fact that they just take up an entire standard parking space, the Tahoe/Yukon is not even an option.

And, as for your last statement, I DID drop another $34,000...$300 under invoice for a 2001 5.9 R/T...and traded in my '99 SLT+...it did have leather, but it was a 5.2. So, you lose your bet...

I looked long and hard at the Auto Show when it was here in Pittsburgh, and I went back and forth between every SUV that was there...the Japanese SUV's are too small for anyone over 6' tall, and the Tahoes and Yukons are too big to be practical. The new TrailBlazer, Envoy, and Bravada don't offer the same interior space and still, in my opinion, have some bugs to be worked out. The Durango is the perfect combination of exterior size, interior dimensions, and power.
  • markc6markc6 Member Posts: 2
    To patman5. Regarding the rear heat control or lack there off, call Chrylser cust service at 1-800-992-1997. They are telling me that I need to go to arbitration, because they won't do anything. We need as many people to call as possible so that they will actually do something about it!!! I have several friends here also who are calling (Kansas City). NOTE: It looks like this affects all 2001's as well as the 2000's.
    ok.... i know, the explorer and blazer are not up to the size and "neat-ness" of the durango... and i for one dislike ford. but.... the quality of the durango is questionable. is a harsh ride, very noisey, so on... but if you park next to a tahoe you will see the diff in size is only 5 inches in width and 10 inches in lenght. not too much diff. .. and you are correct about [non-permissible content removed] suvs... montero is overpriced and no power, but same size as durango!... toyato... well the only comparable is the land cruiser or sequia, and they are 40-50K..... that leaves.... tahoe too big, explorer too small, blazer way to small, montero too low on power, toyatoes too much $, durango has a nice section of market, but they need to live up gm in quality... ANY IDEAS IN WIND NOISE. ??????
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Set the tahoe next to the Durango, there is a size differance, plus a big price differance to get both equipped the same. I priced out the tahoe/yukon, explorer- eddie bauer, limited, xlt, and to get a vehicle equipped the way I wanted, they were a couple of thousand or more, more in price. I didn't want another large vehicle, I already have a Y2K F250 Crew Cab 4x4. Heck back in 98 I sold a Suburban (8 Pass.) and bought the Durango, had no more or less problems with my 98 then with any other vehicle. When I decided to get a new vehicle I still wanted the 3rd seat option and was impressed and still am with the 4.7 motor over the 5.2 that I had in the 98. I get 18 on the highway vs. 13 on the highway (98). That's a hundred more miles on a tank of gas.
    Even if I squeezed every option on a D, it would be hard to reach the 40K mark, you sneeze and the tahoe/yukon is hovering above that.

GM quality? You say Durango doesn't stand up to gm, but according to you it surpasses the blazer (has gm disowned this vehicle) I notice you dive a caddy, you come in here bashing the Durango and talking up the tahoe, but yet you drive a caddy...........enough said.....have a good day............
    Read thru the posts, think I'll take the Durango problems any day over the problems they are talking with their 99-01 models............so much for gm quality being better then Dodge.
  • jwp248jwp248 Member Posts: 6
    I currently own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 that has been the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I am skeptical about buying another Chrysler vehicle but I believe in the Dodge Trucks. I believe the Dodge truck to be the finest on the road. Question is should I take the hit I am going to take on this JGC and buy a Durango.
    BTW you folks looking to GM for quality look somewhere else. GM vehicles are bulit with the cheapest looking crap I have ever seen. If you like squeaks, rattles and an interior that looks 10 years after 1 year go ahead and buy the GM.
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    Hey everyone,

I know you all are going to jump all over me, but do yourself a favor and don't buy a durango. My family was all for getting one, and we have had good luck with Chrysler products. Well that all ended. Our Durango has just recieved its third engine!! After paying over 4,000 dollars for engine repairs you start to get a little mad. To top this out the dealer did absolutely nothing to help us out (Sam Lehman, Peoria Illinios). We have been asking around to other people who have durango's and they all have had trouble. A lady down the street has one and her steering went out leaving her on the interstate. My friends durango stalled on them on the interstate. We met a guy sitting at the dealer and he told us how durango's are peices of crap. The mechanic joined in on the conversation and said how almost everyone they have sold has come back with problems. Now I am not trying to get you all mad, but i serioulsy don't want other people to go through all this crap. If there is one good part of this, its that we are trading it in for a new lexus gs430! Well got to go
    I'm on my 2nd Durango, had a 98, now I have a 01....no engine or steering problems. Every vehicle has problems of some sort. And yes they all have lemons too. Engines just don't fall apart, you didn't mention why this happened. If your going for a Lexus, why not go for a yukon or tahoe and have a third seat and a little bit of room for your money.
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    I'm not saying they all are bad, i just mean that for the most part durango's have more bad ones than most models of cars do. And i liked it for a while and would defend it just like you are, but when it just falls apart on you, and the dealer does nothing to help, and everyone you talk to who has one has had problems, and the mechanic talks about how two people in the dealership owned them and they have both been bought back, you start to think that maybe these things are crap. Sorry if you disagree and I hope you don't have to go through and waste as much money on this vehicle as we did. Just a warning to all future wannabe owners.
  • egrandegrand Member Posts: 14
    I will be purchasing a vehicle in the near future and am leaning toward the Durango. Perceived reliablity not too much of a concern ( this would be my fourth DC vehicle). I am a bit concerned, however, about the published 70 to zero mph braking distance. I realize this is a truck but these distances seem poor compared to other vehicles of similar weight. Forgive my ignorance about auto mechanics but is there a way to upgrade the braking ability significantly (dealer or aftermarket) and what might the estimated cost be? In addition is there any information on when a second generation Durango will come out? Thank you in advance. Elliot
  • slclark8slclark8 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone been able to purchase a performance module for the 4.7? Mopar performance has one listed but do not stock nor have at this time. Go figure!!!
  • knuttybarknuttybar Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. Wow, what differences in opinions! You either LOVE the Durango or you HATE it. I, for one LOVE mine. I have a 98 5.9 4x4 and it is a DREAM. I have had to replace the transmission just a few weeks ago at 53000, but then, I drive this car like you should drive an SUV. Other than that, this SUV is a great. For those of you thinking twice about getting a Durango, DONT. The Durango's 3rd seat folds down completely, unlike some where you have to remove the seat entirely. I also have every option except leather seats and you just cant beat the Durango for space, price, looks or SUV performance. As we speak, I'm trying to talk my husband into trading his Chevy Blazer for a 2001 Durango R/T!
  • gilesgiles Member Posts: 15
    I have the same 2nd row heater problem in my 2000 Durango as described in post 461 and 467. And as suggested there, I called the DC customer service number to complain. The rep. said to take my D to another dealer to get a second opinion. That won't change the way the heater works. I'm convinced it's a design problem, besides the DC rep said there was no TSB. When asked if they had a data base to keep track of how many complaints they received on a particular problem he told me no but that my call was the first he'd got about the heater. With that in mind, what’s the point of everyone calling them? This is not a major item to me although I would like to work better...I really like the Durango and would buy it again.
  • chief142chief142 Member Posts: 4
    to: newtruck9 # 464 I have the same problem except mine starts @ 30 mph so noticable that you can enjoy driving Had it back to dealer 2x & also with the regional manager they put a deflector on front didn't help at all the regional manager said " they all are like that " Don't know what to do!!!
  • gilesgiles Member Posts: 15
    Either I'm hard of hearing or less discerning but I don't notice the wind noise as being any worse in my 2000 Durango than other SUV's. Among others, Iv' spent a lot of time in a '98 and '99 Explorer-they're about the same as mine.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yes, you can upgrade the brakes, but this will not be an inexpesive job. Companies such as Brembo or Baer specialise in aftermarket brakes that can shorten the braking distances significantly, depending on which one you choose to purchase. The next generation Durango will most likely be out in a couple of years. Hopefully it will improve on its so-so-IIHS 40mph offset crash test results:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99013.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Ok today we did it, set up a trade with dealer to drop our 00 durango for a 01 surbaban, sorry hard core durango fans, the wind noise was tooooo much. Our wind noise starts at 30 mph and only gets worse at 75mph. Sounds Just Like the defrost is on full blast. can't even hear the radio over the noise. dealer has no clue. we are now very tuned into the "wind noise in all cars/trucks...." we noticed some wind noise in several cars priced 26-20 k and lots of suv/trucks between 20 + 30 K. The only quiet ones where the BmW ( 50K ) Accura ( 50K ) the highest priced toyotos (45-60K ) and the grand chokee Jeep (30K) but no third seat. And the tahoe/yukon /surburban 30-45k so to get a quiet suv, you must spend the money. but ALL the suv's, NONE come close to the durango in wind Noise.
    it is and was real noise, not pretend, a real pain to drive on highway, maybe ours was built on friday afternoon, but something was wrong, next time you drive your durango listen and see if you notice a sound that sounds JUST like the defrost fans are blowing at full speed on the highway. ... and we did loose some money on the trade to the surburban, however we are counting on repair costs that were sure to come with the durango to offset the loss. Plus there is a 1000$ rebate on Big GM suvs if you bought one in the past 6 years ( a "GM full Size SUV loyality rebate " ) ttfn
    ok we have the computer on the durango, and left on to average over 1000 miles (80%) was highway, 4.7 with big tires. and guess what.... 13.2 mpg, that sucks! heck on our 98 tahoe 5.7 old style gm 350 v8 we got a solid average of 15mpg. and i know what you are thinking.... let it break in.... well we did ( 10 K miles ) and reseting computer every 1000 miles and still 13-14 mpg. i was very impressed with the 4.7 over the 5.2..... but dodge screwed it up.
    Your dropping off the durango problems and picking new ones up. Personally I have never had wind noise on either of my 2 Durangoes. My gas mileage on my 98 with the 5.2 was not good at 13, but with my 4.7 I'm getting 17-18 regularly. I doubt if you get better then 13 with your new sub. Course you will have more room........now let see your wife park it between two cars along the street like she did the durango or slide into a tight parking space.......it will never happen. Your $1000 coupon isn't much,Dodge is giving up to $2000 and low interest rates. I wish you the best of luck with your new purchase.........been there, done that........ (suburban)......am quite happy with my Y2K1 Durango.
    I see you traded up, the burbs got the old problem of the air coming thru the door with no fix in site. Compared to the two. I would take the wind noise over air conditioning in the winter. Seems like Gm would of fixed that problem long ago.
  • paulmyslepaulmysle Member Posts: 1
    Just in case someone has similar problems ...

With only 1600 miles on my 2001 4.7 SLT the service engine light came on and the engine started running rough. I immediately brought it in for service. The dealer reported the computer registered a cyclinder misfire. They replaced the spark plugs and returned the vehicle the same day.

Well, 15-20 miles later the service engine light was back, along with running rough. After consulting with Chrysler the dealer ordered and replaced the powertrain computer system, which took about a week.

When I picked the vehicle up my wife and I both thought it was running a little rough but unfortunately I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt and decided to drive it for a day or so before I complained. 20 miles later that same day the service engine light was back on and it was running worse than the last two times.

This time the dealer kept it for 2 weeks. They had to call in a specialist from Chrysler who found the cylinder heads were defective and had to be replaced. I have added 1200 miles since this last repair. At first it seemed to be running smooth but during the last week it seems like it has started to run a little rough.

The dealer provided extremely poor customer service, never apologizing for the inconveniences I went through. Of course they are a 5 Star dealership. I complained to Chrysler but have not heard back from them, or the dealer. I would think Chrysler would want to apologize for producing a near-lemon. I probably will not buy another Chrysler and will recommend others not to as well.

The worst part is the loss of confidence in my Durango. I'm just waiting for something to fail ...

Sor far, three times for the same problem and 23 days in the shop - almost qualifying for Virginia's lemon law. If it eventually does I will probably go elsewhere with my money.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    jbordova forgot about the one factor that was common with the durangos he was talking about; the dealer. I have found that good dealers do not let bad vehicles off the lot and if something goes wrong they take care of it immediately and painlessly. Bad dealers will make your life miserable.
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    Hello, I'm very close to purchasing a Durango and have a couple of questions - What is the realistic mileage in traffic that I can expect with the 4.7, and second, how does the leather hold up with kids? I can't decide between the leather and cloth. Thanks!
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    Sorry one more - This will be my first SUV and I'm a little concerned about stopping distances - are the antilock brakes a good investment? Do they perform up to par? Thanks again
  • tgrosshanstgrosshans Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 99 Durango in March 1999. 3 month later, the A/I compressor had to be replaced.

The oil gauge needle went to zero when coming to a stop and/or slowing down, resulting the intake manifold gasket to be replaced on August 24, 2000. The service department told us that they practically rebuild the engine.

March 25, 2001, the engine stalled, towed the truck to dodge dealer, we were told us the engine was "shot" the cause could be the intake manifold gasket. The dealer said there was no oil in the truck, but the truck isn't leaking oil. We kept up the required maintenance. We explained to the dealer that this is the 2nd time this has occurred.

Chryslar isn't taking responsibility since we're 1300 miles over the standard warranty. The oil light and needle never came on indicating the oil was low or there was a problem. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I went to www.nhtsa.gov web site and found 63 pages of complaints filed on the 1999 Dodge Durango. There were several TIS bulletins on engine problems with the intake manifold problems. I recommend everyone to visit this site. You will be surprised.
    I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but going back to the old way, you should check your engine oil at every fill up of gas or at least every 3. I know very few follow this, I myself have even disregarded this at times. Some vehicle manuels even state this, I don't remember if the Durango one does or not. I realize that when you do lay down 30 to 35 thousand for a vehicle you expect it to hold up. But doing self checks between oil changes helps alot.
  • 4bolts4bolts Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 D has terrible wind noise. If you have never heard it, you wouldn't believe it. I can hear the radio though. They sealed the windshield on the sides. I thought that worked but it didn't. The next appointment is monday morning. They will start with: Replacing the windshield and doing a "sonar test" One part is set toward the windshield and then a wand is waved (like tinkerbell) and supposedly will pick up air leaks. I also am providing the dealer with the copies of the welding and sealing that is suppose to have been done as the vehicle is manufactured.

I still won't get rid of my D. The gas mileage is 16-18 depending on who does the most driving. Installed the K/N filter about two tanks ago. When it was breaking in, 6 months ago, the mileage was about 12-14. This on a 2 wheel drive.
  • dodgeidiotdodgeidiot Member Posts: 4
    for tgrosshans, where did you find all the complaints? I've been everywhere, and am unable to find durango specific. I'm am gearing for a voluntary repo as Dodge won't lemon law, and I'm tired of dealing with the problem. I got my 3rd transfer case put in, and now the ABS brakes are going off on dry pavement, and pulsating. They 'can't duplicate'. anyways, let me know under what section to go under, thanks.
  • 4bolts4bolts Member Posts: 9
    They replaced the windshield on monday and added extra caulking to fill in the gaps. After 3 days the noise is about the same as in my cougar. Acceptable. Probably what other D owners hear.
  • mrwhichermrwhicher Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased the vehicle I have wanted since they first came out, a 2001 Durango SLT. Unfortunately it was from the worst dealership on the planet...Hamburg Dodge in Hamburg, NY from the worst "salesperson" Todd Casey. Don't shop there if you can avoid it. Enough of that. From the moment off the lot a had a whinning noise starting from a stop, getting higher in pitch with acceleration and disappearing after shifting into second gear. A rear end should always make the noise so I'm thinking tranny. The "Five Star" dealership says Chrysler requires I give it 3,000 miles to break in before they will even entertain looking into it. Anyone have similar trouble?? Also had vehicle delivered with the right front tire down 18 pounds pressure (almost have empty!, even though it didn't look like it.
  • singhvickysinghvicky Member Posts: 3
    Durango is not doing good in today's market. It's number fail suv's in today's market. I heard from my friend that he sometime hear the noise while driving on a long trip.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Have you checked your gas pump? There is a strong possibility that it might have defective pump. Gas pump might be located at the rear. My Neon had this problem, and turned out to be the pump. Since both uses Mopar, why not?
  • czard1czard1 Member Posts: 7
    Don't know why all the problems but like it has been said, all car makes have some lemons. My D is a 2K CPR PT4x4 SLT 4.7L. I have had it for 10 month's now and have had no engine, transmission, cooling or heating problems. I have put 25,000 miles on my "Rosita" and she is still going strong. I traded in my SAAB 900 for her and I have been happy ever since. When buying an SUV one should expect that the gas mileage would be different! I have no problems feeding her when her tummy is empty. I had her synthed out 300 miles after I bought her. Mobil one oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles, Amsoil transmission fluid, Mobil 1 gear lube for the diff's. I have had her on many road trips from here in Maryland all the way to the NC coast and her road manners are far above any car I have owned before. I only use Amsoil oil filters and have an Amsoil foam air filter. I will have this truck until the doors fall off ( or until I get to see the new hemi D's). So to each his own. I love my D !!!
  • paul_njpaul_nj Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Durango because I love how it looks. Gotta be honest, even though every car has complaints, I'm nervous about how many people seem to be having Durango problems. Anyone know of any idependent web site, consumer reports, etc., that has rated their reliability?
  • davetfdavetf Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to order a 2001 Durango 4X4 and although I am ordering the 3rd rear seat (for resale) I'm debating whether or not to order the rear heater/air conditioner. I will be the only one in the vehicle 95% of the time, however, I do live in Phoenix where it gets hot. Any experience regarding the value of the rear airconditioner/heater?
This discussion has been closed.