Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Rough Idle/Vibration Problems

Comments

• popochito40popochito40 Member Posts: 4
    About the comment of Mr Mark,the problem is not the dealer.I went to other Ford dealer in my city and they said the same.The problem with this Idle/vibration is inside the motor and Ford Motor doesn't have yet the solution of this problem.For any unknown reason,the Fuel injector system (when truck is stopped),cut send the normal fuel needed to the intake manifold and appear the idle because the motor can't work properly.Inmediate you run they dissapear.Ford Motor are in a big problem with this issue,and only repeat it is "normal characterictic of the truck".If they accept it as a problem they need recall hundred of truck and then loose money.I am in the middle of the Lemon law process and they offer me right now an extended warranty until 75000 miles.Why you offer this warranty if you are sure the problem is normal?.Or Ford offer this because they consider and want keep me as a good customer and want I am very satisfied? BS!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • wentlandtwentlandt Member Posts: 1
    I'm in an 06 Supercrew with just under 10k miles on it. It's doing the exact same thing as the original post--vibration/body chatter at low rpms. The second I let my foot off the brake it seems to smooth out. So far, the dealer has replaced the engine mounts as well as the harmonic balancer--no luck with either. On a previous visit to the dealership, they pulled the drive shaft and regreased the yoke. Again, no success. At this point, I'm one visit away from litigation. Any additional info is appreciated.
    Brief history:I discover this 11 months after bought new.Went to the dealer several times,they didn't has a solution only to try to reduce Idle vibration.Contact Ford Hotline and denied my claim they said is "normal characteristic of this motor";last week I went to arbitration with BBB Autoline and arbitrator said is a defect of the car,is not a normal characteristic,but she denied too my claim.She said instead the problem exist,is not sufficient to said that truck is unsafe,lost value bla bla bla...I will continue with state arbitrator.Rightn now I have a truck,paid $31000,less than 17000 miles,under warranty,with a "defect",without fixed and waiting.Is incredible Ford!!!!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Manufacturer only said is "normal Characteristic",they know is a problem,is a defect of this truck but trying to explain consumers is not affect normal operation of the truck.Is a "Big defect" but infortunately is not easy try to fight with Goliath.Is incredible that I have a truck with this defect and I can't due nothing at this time.i think if I lost again my only solution is go to other dealer and try to trade and don't mention nothing. :mad: :mad: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • svt4mesvt4me Member Posts: 1
    I joined this just to comment. My problem sounds the same as most so far. My truck has a slightly rough idle. The real problem occurs at about 1500rpm up to 1900rpm. This is when the motor vibrates significantly and then levels out at about 2Krpm and up. This rpm range tends to be my cruising range, therefore it translates the vibration to the steering wheel while driving. Very annoying. I've been to 4 dealerships, called the 800 Ford # and filed my complaint and even got the Ford rep involved at the last dealership. It's "acceptable" is what they are telling me.
    What the %*#$. I'm sssoooo aggrevated. How do we get this thing recalled and what's the fix? Crankshaft, harmonic balancer, what?
    Scott
  • j2goj2go Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a used 2005 and have encountered this shaking only at low speeds so far. Is there a chance you may be able to get the tech service bulletin # from the dealer. I took it to a front end shop that we take our work trucks to and they could not figure it out. I am mostly interested in the steering box "adjustment". I will do the tires myself. Thank You
    PS Have a 1997 4x4 also and man does the 05 ride nice.
  • dittoclowndittoclown Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 F150 4x4 Crew cab bought new from dealership. I bought it to pull my atv and trailer. I noticed on the drive home a vibration at 60-75 mph my normal highway speed. I had to go back to the dealer the next day for the bed liner and mentioned this to the service manager. He suggested driving for a while to see if the tires balanced out from being on the lot for couple months and if not they would re-balance. Well it did not stop and they re-balanced but that did not fix the problem or my main problem. Which is towing. I get severe vibration and steering wheel shimmy when towing my single axle tilt trailer with my King Quad on it. The dealer says it's the trailer but I have pulled three othe trailers like mine and they all do it. I even pulled a very expensive aluma trailer all aluminum and it really rocks this truck at 60-75 mph. The vibrations are so bad that the drivers windshield wiper jumps up and down on the windsheild. Dealer says that is the wind...but the passenger side never moves. I guess road wind only hits the drivers side on Ford trucks!!!!! The dealer took my truck and trailer,balanced the trailer wheels and tested,same vibration. Then they installed my trailer on an f-150 FX4 off road. It road even worse according to the dealer than my truck. They say that proves it's my trailer. One more thing..I got my service rep at Ford who ownes a Titan truck to pull my trailer and guess what? It did not vibrate on the Titan. Anybody have any suggestions, I love my $40,000.00 truck but I did not pay extra for the vibration and shimmy additions.
  • psagepsage Member Posts: 2
    violent shaking and excelleration out of my control almost killed me in my Harley 350 Super Cab, Super Duty with lift kit. Totaled the truck after it traveled over 5 guard rails, front ended a tree, rolled down into a gully, turned and came back up and stopped with the two front tires over another guard rail while on a forty five degree angle. Air bags did not go off (this is the 3rd ford truck to fail air bags) the trip was so violent that I was torn from fastened seat belt and ejected from passenger door. I was the driver. Has anybody heard anything on shaking or air bags?
  • psagepsage Member Posts: 2
    I have had three Ford Trucks that failed to deploy air bags on front end impact. Ford's answer was that the sensors were damaged on impact. I am not kidding. Has anyone had trouble with same.
  • emtdawnemtdawn Member Posts: 26
    Sorry, but I just had to say this. If you bought the statement, "suggested driving for a while to see if the tires balanced out from being on the lot for couple months", you shouldn't even own a vehicle! I'm a woman, and even I know that, 1. Tires don't correct themselves after sitting on a lot for a couple of months. 2. If they are out of round, they were that way when put on the truck. 3. Simple balancing does not seem to help the shimmy problem which Ford is aware of. 4. "Indexing" is the only way to correct the "tire" problem (if your mechanic doesn't know what that is, take it to another state because the technicians in Florida don't seem to bright) if that is what it is, and/or replace the tires. Keep taking it in until it is fixed, or get the truck replaced under the lemon law after several attempts. You can look that up online for the state of Florida. We had same problem and so have many people. I believe Ford has a structural problem because we seem to get ours fixed, but problem came back after 10,000 more miles and a few balancing later. Also, if you have a problem with a shimmy (and is it in the steering wheel or brakes that you feel it) you are going to have a rougher time while towing. It will be increased.
  • genefdnygenefdny Member Posts: 1
    My first ford was a 1990 f-450 dump truck I did notice this problem at speeds over 50 mph but did not pay much attention because this was a work truck and rarely approached this speed. My next was a 1999 F-250 pick-up the shaking was extremely dangerous. It seemed to occur most commonly at a speed over 55 while driving over a storm drain. Such as the left lane of a highway. This problem was corrected by adding a suspension kit to the front end. I currently own a 2005 F-250 still the same problem. I cant believe Ford has not addressed this problem after all these years. This week alone I have had two terrifying episodes of this violent shaking . Seems to occur as the tires begin to wear. Ford dealer told me last year to be sure to rotate tires every 3,000 miles to prevent this. They will not accept any responsibility for this
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    THEN BLAMES FORD BECAUSE ITS UNCONTROLLABLE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS!

WHATEVER!

Airbags only deploy under specific circumstances. When you put that lift kit on you are changeing the specs of the vehicle. I don't think the air bags would ever go off unless you drove into a wall.

Mark.
  • ambersambers Member Posts: 1
    I bought this truck brand new March '07. Back in December '06 with roughly 22,000 miles I was on the way home from out of town doing about 70 mph and hit a bump in the road. My front starting shaking so badly it was all I could do to hold onto the steering wheel. It has happened 3 more time leading up to March '07, I took it in and they replaced the steering stablizer. This past weekend with customers in West Texas it did twice more coming home. Dealership said they could not find a problem and blamed it on the tires which have sufficient tread. has anyone heard of this?
  • vpiacentevpiacente Member Posts: 2
  • trumpetguytrumpetguy Member Posts: 1
    Go to National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration Web-Site it is nhtsa.dot.gov click on problems and issues especially consumer complaints. If you really want to see a cover up by Ford look up recalls for Ford F-Series trucks. There was a mandatory safety recall in 87 and 88 but Ford ignored it! I was very severely injured by the violent shaking in a newer truck. It was so violent that it caused me to have multiple herniated discs in neck and back and an axonal-shear brain injury(from rotational forces) plus other multiple spinal,neurological and orthopedic injuries. If you have injuries you need to hire a skilled products liability lawyer. Ford has been in litigation for faulty air-bags,seat belts etc and suspension. There is a design defect in the steering and suspension!
  • msmith1186msmith1186 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having fun with the vibration issue myself. Well since I had the truck and shop for the 3rd time today They told me Ford has a list of things to do. BUT..... They will not pay for it. Since I am not over my 36,000 miles. But what they dont understand is I have been having this problem before the miles ran out. But that is not good enough for Ford. So I am going to create a website and yes people think this is a long shot but I am going to collect as many names of people having the same problem and contact the BBB and Attorney Genrerals Office and just about everyone else who will listen. I feel is Ford wont listen lets make enough noise so other people will and not have the same problem we all have. I will post when the website is done. :mad:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
  • luv2draftluv2draft Member Posts: 2
  • luv2draftluv2draft Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 F-150 Pick-up with 38,000 miles. About a month ago, the front end of my truck started a bad vibration while I was driving on the highway. I thought at first that I had a bad flat tire when it happened, so I pulled over to check and nothing.

Then we thought it needed a wheel balance, so that was done. within 3 days, the vibration was back. the vibration occurs at highway speeds starting at about 65-70 mph. the entire front end starts vibrating. I thought the wheels were going to fall off.

When I took it back in they thought it was the driveshaft. luckily, an extended warranty was purchased so I was only out $100 deductible and a new driveshaft was put in.

AGAIN, a few days went by and the vibration is still there. This morning I took it back to the dealer and I'm STILL waiting on a fix. I got a call that they added spacers to the carrier bearing on the driveshaft. And plan to keep it overnight for further driving tests tomorrow. They also had it hooked up to an analizer to try and figure out the problem. They still don't think it's in the wheels or tires.

Any thoughts from anyone?
  • tops299tops299 Member Posts: 1
    #4 cyl..is miss firing intermittently (according to error code). Pressure is good. Have changed plug, wires. Could it be bad injector? high voltage coil? what are the symptoms.

Thanks
  • giturdone1giturdone1 Member Posts: 5
    i have just recently bought a newer truck. i have had for a few weeks with no problems. until i pulled my boat, once in a while i get a vibration when traveling down the road. i took it to the dealership they couldn't find anything wrong. it did it again after i unhooked the boat, then it stoped. i am so confused.......does anyone have any idea's?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Trailer brakes dragging slightly?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is a post from a guy who put a lift kit on a F-350 then drove at high speeds.

Mark.
  • neilsen1neilsen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 F350 super duty. So far everything has broken. THe shift on the fly switch just turns, the dumb storgage holder on the dash doesn't open and this thing shakes at 55, 60, 65 and up. People next to me on the road look at me in horror as I just have to slowly wait it out. It returns back to normal when you reach slower speeds. The whole truck rocks and bounces of the ground. I too have been to Ford, it' not your lift kit, its the truck period. I have gone thru two sets of front tires and also have been told to use max airThat's just stupid. Max air! fix the design, don't make the customer have to do something funky to get by.
  • ktownfootball6ktownfootball6 Member Posts: 2
    i recently went off roading in my 1999 ford 150 2wd 4.2L. at the end i bottomed out. now when i start my truck the exhaust sounds a lot louder and the engine makes a noise. now i have no power, accleration, or torgue. also when driving around 45-50mph the truck starts to shake. anyone have an idea what is wrong with my truck?
  • wormrotwormrot Member Posts: 1
    2004 XLT 4x4 bought new, 50K miles. Rotated tires last summer (~36K miles) had the steering wheel shakes at speeds >50MPH, got new tires, still shimmies at 75+ MPH, but fine most of the time. Also developed a squeaky right front brake (wear indicator?).

This morning at about 70 MPH the whole truck started shaking - so much so that the wiper blades were bouncing and my bottled water tipped over in the cupholder. Slowed to 50 MPH, exited highway, and it felt like I had a flat rear tire. Checked it out but the tires are fine. Noticed some slight scalloping.

Called my mech and will bring it in Monday, but I'm not optimistic. Out of warranty for sure. Still owe $7K. How f-ed am I?
  • ktownfootball6ktownfootball6 Member Posts: 2
    i just got my truck back from the mechanic. it turns out all i needed was 6 new spark plugs and the coil replaced. he didn't give me the bill yet but how much can spark plugs cost. the truck is now back to normal. good luck with your truck.
  • rondo77rondo77 Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced my plugs because my truck was stalling and puttering in 1st gear and now when Im driving while giving it gas it starts to jerk and putter when I try to accelerate and my check engine light starts blinking.Any suggestions please.
  • rondo77rondo77 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: I just replaced my plugs because my truck was stalling and puttering in 1st gear and now when Im driving while giving it gas it starts to jerk and putter when I try to accelerate and my check engine light starts blinking.Any suggestions please.
  • waythoswaythos Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for your comments and your action. I too have experienced this lack of responsibility evidenced by the Ford Corporation's. I recently contacted an attorney and plan to file a "Small Claims" lawsuit to recoup my repair expenses. Let's motivated others to join us in this pressurization for responsibility.

Ford fraternally :mad:
    Wayne
  • rroverrrover Member Posts: 8
    Just had the same thing happen today with my wife and son in the truck 2006 Crew cab F250 diesel. Scared the crap out of me. I still had steering control sort of with violent shaking of steering wheel slowed down to about 50 and almost got rear ended by a semi. It seems to me after reading this post Ford must know there is a problem and should have a recall. Its not like a faulty turn signal or something. Paid too much for something like this happen. Anyone know anything new?
    Thanks
    hey brother i don't know if this will help you or not, but finally ford fixed mine least i think , it has not happened yet. it appears that my emerengcy brake has been self engaging. which makes all the sense to me . i have had used my emergency brake earlier before each occurance when i pulled might boat. unhooking and hooking up ect. they replace on both rear brake assemblys including emergency brake everything on the back now is new. i have a 05 ford fx4 , hope this helps you................... :lemon: :surprise: :lemon:
  • rroverrrover Member Posts: 8
    Thanks man I will tell my dealer your fix for sure. I rarely use my emergeny brake though. I have been thinking about it and there is one place on the interstate that if I hit over certain speed it does it every time good thing is its a straigt strech and seems to be just a second or two and stops. Today was around a long curve and it didnt stop till I slowed down it was like going over speed bumps every 2 feet at 75 and trying to hold the turn. Ive had ford trucks for many years and stood by them my buddys have gone to chevy and even toyota. I love the truck but its making me think.
    Thanks again.
    hey no problem let me know im curious. i know when i would have the problem, felt like a blown tire, drive shaft or something of that nature. it was so bad the windshield wipers were bouncing pretty hard against the windsheild. im just glad i was still under warranty. good luck

martin
    i have a 05 fx4 same problem after several visits to a dealer with no luck . took it to another dealer. they found my emergency brake was self engaging. they replaced everything on the rear brake system. felt like a blown tire or driveshaft. radical good luck
    have your dealer look at the emergency brake system. mine was self engaging at speeds of 45-50 mph. so far so good,
  • jrj2jrj2 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading through the discussions on vibration because my Ford F250 has a similar problem. I think it may be different than those discussed because this vibration is not continuous and it is not a violent vibration. It comes and goes at random times, usually starting or stopping after I hit a bump in the road. I've taken the truck to a Ford dealership for a diagnostic, but they said everything was normal (since that diagnostic, the seals had to be replaced because they were leaking and the alternator went out). I also took it to a Firestone center and they also said that everything was normal. The vibration is increasing, but it is still not continuous. Does anyone know what this could be??? I think we would do better to just drive this truck off a cliff after all that has been replaced since it was purchased, but since I'm an optomist, I guess I'll try to fix one last thing! Oh, the truck has around 125,000 miles if that helps.
  • chip5150chip5150 Member Posts: 4
    2000 F-150 4.6 V-8 120,000 miles. New brakes/rotors,ball joints,tires,u-joints,shocks,IAC valve,o2 sensors, spark plugs, all filters,rear seals, serpentine belt,fluids great,motor mounts good and tight, fuel system cleaned professionally, NO trouble codes on my scanner,runs great EXCEPT for the vibration at idle and driving. My side mirrors shake noticeably because of it. Took it back to Belle Tire to check balance and they SAID they were fine. Could it be the timing is off ? I did a vaccum check and it was GREAT. I take care of my truck and am used to being able to figure things out. I'm stuck on this one. Any ideas before I buy a timing light ? Thanks.
  • chip5150chip5150 Member Posts: 4
    I am having a vibration issue also. ( see post # 91 ) I THINK my motor mounts are tight, but I could only reach 2 of the bolts. Maybe the rubber is cracked. It happens. Anyway, it may be your motor mounts causing the vibration, but how do you test those things to know for sure ? Good luck and let me (us) know if you find the cause.
  • heebieheebie Member Posts: 1
    my 1999 with a 5.4 runs good but will not idle, everything is factory on this truck and problem just started.please help,thanks
  • dgrasserdgrasser Member Posts: 12
    The main exhaust pipe (there are two) probably pulled away from the exhaust manifold pipe. There are typically two bolts holding them together and they rust over time. I pulled mine back together once as it was really loud. Everything was so rusted that instead of redoing the bolts, I used a clamp to tighten it up.

W.r.t. the vibration, once the exhaust manifold separates, the O2 sensor will read high O2 in the exhaust stream (is the check engine light on) and the computer will adjust your truck to run richer. This will affect the way your truck runs.

I have been having problems with misfiring on my 1997 F150 and I believe that because of what I described above, the richer fuel mixer causes the engine to run hotter leading to other problems with plugs, spark plug wires, and/or coils (the coil over plugs have a wire inside the boot, that is the spark plug wire).

Take it to Auto Zone and they will diagnose with their reader for free.
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Skip buying a timing light, your vehicle is computer controled. The timing is decided by the PCM and is changed depending on various imputs from sensors.

Since you have this vibration at idle and driving, I would not suspect anything in the suspension, tires out of round, shocks, ect. Before I give a recomendations as to what to check for. Explain when this vibration first started, it may be related to a brand of spark plug that was installed on your tune up. Food for thought, Fords do not like champion spark plugs.

To test your motor mounts, one meathod is to have an assistant put the vehicle in drive with the brake on hard and give the engine throttle without killing it. You should view the engine twist or flex sideways no more than 2 inches. One inch is about normal.
  • 56prostreet56prostreet Member Posts: 1
    Did you check the coils for cracks. Apparently all fords with coil-on-plug are notorious for cracking the coil cases as they age. It is recommended to replace all of the coils over 100K. I found that my E-350 began to vibrate mildly as if it had a bad driveshaft u-joint. The day after I drove in a snowstorm the vehicle began to run rougher, and sounded similar to a lawnmower while throwing no check engine light and no DTC's. The sound indicated to me to check for ignition issues. I began pulling coils and found several of the cases were cracked- I replaced the cracked ones and replaced the plugs and boots on the others. Problem solved. I should not thet there are some very good prices on ebay for the coils- about 1/5th the price of parts stores. Hope this helps.
  • rene007rene007 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 F-150 with a V6 4.2 and it is throwing whiteish smoke from the tailpipe and it has a somewhat rough idle. I checked the compression and the vaccum and they are fine. I pressure checked the cooling system for a possible blown head gasket and no leaks. I checked for codes and there aren't any and the fuel trim and oxygen sensors seem to be working properly. There are no misfires detected by the PCM and the fuel inector pulsewidth seems fine. The next thing that I could think of is a bad PCM. I don't condemn it just yet since they are very expensive so I was wondering if anybody out there can give me a tips or a heads on this problem. I'd appreciate it a lot.
  • petera58petera58 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. It was fuel injectors ! Believe it or not !

All of the vibration issues on these engines seems to mimic suspension
    or tires, but its not.

peterandrulis@dejazzd.com
  • tdmadmactdmadmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 F150 5.4 triton V8 w/ 46800 mi. My cousin has a 2006 5.4 F150 with 51,000 miles, My business rep has a 2007 5.4 super crew with 54,000 miles. all 3 and more I have easily tested have the same engine shake vibration at 1300 to 1800 rpm when revving in park or neutral. The vibration is very obvious and specific in all vehicles. it is harder to detect when driving but feels like a tire out of balance at any speed when 1300 to mainly 1800 rpms is on the tach. In 0verdrive at 70mph,1800 rpm . Off overdrive at 50mph prox , same rpm etc. Different gears will easily feel the shaking and the wipers will shake at that rpm range!! :confuse:
    This is a progressive problem that has now been examined by 2 dealers in Central California. Just today, my dealer Service manager agreed that this is egregious and very obviously an unusual engine vibration at those rpms. He discussed this with a Ford engineer with a new 5.4 and though not as bad, the problem is noticeable. At 50,000 miles it is VERY noticeable when the engine is cold!!!!! When warm it is still obvious!!
    I am asking anyone to check their 2005 to 2007, 5.4 triton engines by revving up the motor to tach read 1300 to 1800 rpms and , especially cold, feel the engine vibration shaking. I think it is a 3 valve cam problem. We need more input to push Ford to qualify and resolve this huge problem!!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    my '04 F150 with 38,000 miles is experiencing the third set of warpped rotors.

the first two were replaced under warranty and now I'm out of waranty so they say I'm out of luck. I rarely tow a 1,200 lbs trailer and drive the truck with ease to save on gas - i've also had the truck regularly maintained, yet I'm now looking at another brake job.

It's one thing to have to pay this out of pocket, but anyone who wants to buy my truck, if they look at my service records, are going to wonder what the hell is wrong with my truck. :lemon:

This along with a complete transmission failure 6 days and 26,000 miles past the factory warranty.

When I'm done with this truck - I'm done with Ford. Ford dealerships these days are so desperate for income they don't think about a long term relationship with the owner - it's all about getting money now to stay afloat.
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    warpped rotors is a common issue with certain Ford trucks. This is how you solve it. Use only high quality rotors, NAPA or OEM not the cheepies from China or Autozone. Next. When the wheels are put on, only snug the lug nuts on. Then lower the vehicle so the weight of the vehicle is on the wheels. Then use a torque wrench and torque the lug nuts to specs. Then drive at least 1/2 mile and re check the torque on each lug nut.

The problem is un even and excessive torque due to the weight of the vehicle, and cheep rotors. Torque is effected by the weight of the vehicle. Do not over torque. Good luck.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    thanks for the tip mickeymouse.

is it safe to assume that Ford used OEM or NAPA rotors when replacing my worn out warped ones?

When I have the current one's replaced, I'm going to ask for the old parts to see what was put on. If it's some cheap Chinese part they put on then I'm going give someone at Ford a piece of my mind. :mad:
  • joemama33joemama33 Member Posts: 26
    Aren't 90% of all replacement parts now made in China, including Motorcraft?