Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Suspension and Axles

13»

Comments

• Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Sure can. Especially if it's a Saginaw.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Nah. No problem. When you get as old as I am these things happen all the time.

I'm pretty sure the 2-wheel drive Dakota was introduced with rack-and-pinion steering. I know the '91s had em. My son put two in his during the seven or eight years he owned it.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    Just had my 4x4 2001 quad 3.92 rear rebuilt for the second time at 95k. Transfer case also replaced, told bad bearings. Total $3300. All rear diff bearings replaced just 40k miles ago Spring? in clutch pack broken and clutch pack replaced this time. Crap bearings..i guess. I figured it was the rear bearings again with the whining at all speeds. Mileage went from 15 to 15.88mpg after the changeout.

Just had fender bender, looking for prices for new front bumper, and lower plastic bumper guard where the fog lights go. Anyone have any preferred places of interest where I can purchase a replacement front bumper in Central NJ? Anyone know of any special tools or anything i need to acquire before I take the old bumper off? thanks in advance. Ger.
  • Options
    jfunstonjfunston Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2004 Dodge Dakota, and have been getting a snapping sound in the front-end, sounds like right around the wheel. We've had it in to a mechanic, and they can't seem to find a problem. We've read about the balljoint problem with previous years, does this affect 04's? Any other suggestions what it might be? It started out only when I was making turns, or go over bumps, you'd hear the snapping sound (it's fairly loud) but, it's doing it all the time now.
  • Options
    jdrmm8400jdrmm8400 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 Quad 4x4 with 4.7 and 45000 miles. I have a clunking sound coming from the front when I brake heavy. The dealer has replaced rotors, lines and pads (and DS front axle seal). I don't feel the clunk in the pedal, just in the front end. Also, today it was raining pretty heavy. Decided to try out the 4 hi. It would not disengage out of 4hi until I turned the truck off. BTW - the light did change from 4 hi to 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    inspect the lower and upper ball joints as well as the outer tie rods theses are know problem areas and can create the snap popping noise you describe. good luck if you replace the ball joints i would recommend using after market brand moog vs mopar..
  • Options
    slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    ck the ball joints lower and upper very weak and problem area with these trucks
  • Options
    02dakotaguy02dakotaguy Member Posts: 1
    ive been looking around for a front end leveling/spindle/spring spacer lift and i can not find one. all i get are ones for rams... can anyone help me out please.
  • Options
    jdrmm8400jdrmm8400 Member Posts: 5
    The noise was coming from front right wheel bearing and housing. Dealer replaced and have had no problems.
  • Options
    yooperguy_66yooperguy_66 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have a issue with my CV joint on my dakota. I put a lift kit on my dakota the front CV joints are too short. Theres to much stress on them ant the keep pop'in out of place. You said that you knew a guy that had a lot of CV joint. I was wondering if you new his number, e-mail, or if he has a web site and its address.
  • Options
    tjfitztjfitz Member Posts: 41
    yooperguy_66, the man I got my CV joints from is Kevin Yutani, in Ocala, Florida, his company is called "Constant Velocity of Ocala", and he has an Internet site at http://www.cvaxles.com/index.html

He is very friendly and helpful and will talk you through your problems on the phone. If you want to get on his good side and if you have ever been in the Army (especially if you were a parachutist), mention that!

Hope this helps. Tom in Bismarck, North Dakota (was in Ireland when Kevin helped me).
  • Options
    jt8manjt8man Member Posts: 5
    2001 Dakota R/T, heard clunking noise on hard turning and discovered the right side forward lower control arm support bracket broken. This is the metal peice that is welded to the frame that holds the control arm. How do you fix this? Can you get a new bracket and weld it back on? Do you make one and weld it on? You can't just replace the whole frame? The upper and lower ball joints were replaced and the car was aligned a couple of weeks ago with no issues.
  • Options
    dallasedallase Member Posts: 7
    I would like to know where i can find on the truck what rear-end and ratio on the truck , as i would like to put a positive trac rear end . I don't do very well on snowy or icy roads think this might help. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Options
    dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    I think there is a sticker in the glove box with the info regarding the rear size and maybe if it had the slip differential. I sold my 2001 at the end of 2011, wish I could help some more.
  • Options
    rider60rider60 Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Dodge Dakota broke it's lower control arm leading bracket. No off-roading ever...driven gently...no advance warning. Chrysler corp. denies any problems with that model year. Can't get local shops to respond. I'd sure like to know what jt8man did to fix his same problem. Any help appreciated.
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Rust???