Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Buick Rendezvous Class Action?

Comments

• 2002nightmare2002nightmare Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Hi
    My radio locks up all the time too. I have not yet a problem with the windows though. I just usually pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes and then put it back in and it seems to fix the problem. Try it with the windows too.My car gives me every code when I get in and start is up. I was told it is the sending unit. I have no AC, the lifters tick badly, the radio problem, the sending unit giving me every code imaginable, the anti lock brake light never goes off. ENDLESS problems. What a lemon :lemon:
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    For the radio locked and windows not working, do you have a sunroof? On my pontiac version and that and all kinds of messages indicating problem. In reality the sunroof ;leaked and moisture snuck its way around to somewhere it shouldn't have. Took the cover off the fuse box (both sides) and drove with heater on (towards floor) for for about 100 miles before I shut it off and problem was gone and hasn't returned. Glad I didn't waste money replacing BCM.
  • sickntired2sickntired2 Member Posts: 1
    If there is one, please add me also. Everything in the RDV just started acting super possessed. I don't know what to do.!!!!! AAAHHH!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Sickntired2,
    Can you please tell me what problems you are experiencing with your vehicle? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed? How long have the concerns been present? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • juliaomjuliaom Member Posts: 29
    Mariah, where were you when I had severe problems with that Buick Rendevous from when I purchased it in 2004 till 9/5/2010 when I finally traded it in for a Japanese car.
    You have my name on record as calling GM several times for help.
    I am still paying on my credit card for the dealer repair on my head gaskets that cost $2700,
    The AC went in 2004, ($2000) then both power windows, then the tie rods, then all kinds of other problems, then the head gaskets blew up probably from the Dex-Cool, then the AWD and the Power Lock brakes light went on and they said the sensors were bad, for $700 apiece (I passed), the the PCC solenoid for $495 I fixed, then the TCC solenoid and the Torque converter stuck open and it shifted with a slam.
    I am over $10,000 in repairs on that vehicle, and you wonder why I traded it in for a Japanese car made in Japan.
    Glenn Buick in Lexington, KY made lots of money off me, but you will not make any more off me or anyone I know, as my friends and family know what problems I had with the RDV and would never buy one.
    Besides that car was made in Mexico, I should have known you would not make a car in America, no wonder you needed a bail out of my tax dollars. Not that I had anything left after all those repairs.
    You can pass that all on to your CEO, tell him his car sucks. :mad:
  • rendezvoodoorendezvoodoo Member Posts: 2
    We bought ours used with 55,000 miles and we still love it. We love the features and the comfortable ride on long trips. We are still, however, dealing with issues. We occasionally experience the dreaded 'Security' which flashes when you hit a bump (once in awhile). When this happens, the dash warning lights flash randomly. Sometimes this is all that happens, other times once you turn off the vehicle, the radio will become locked, can't use power windows, no heat or air conditioning, door locks don't function, basically nothing works except the headlights and turn signals. I have to pull the cable off the battery for a few seconds to reset (the BCM?). I expect to have to replace that BCM someday... We had a coolant leak that turned out to be the intake gasket and had that replaced. I saw the stories about air conditioning condenser failure, so I removed the one screw that is missing on the new condenser they put on when the old one breaks, hoping it will prevent it from failing. So far so good on that. I had to replace the rear differential fluid because of the squeaky noise it made when backing up. I had to replace the front left wheel bearing and, after a recall was announced, I was reimbursed my parts costs from Buick (they would not reimburse my labor which I reported at about $60). Now we have this clunking, lumbering sound coming from the right rear of vehicle. No one can seem to find it. I've had the spare tire off and had several different places inspect it. I even replaced both rear 'knuckle' assemblies which cost $440 for parts and still had the clunking. I am now sure it is the strut. I finally realized this after driving on a real bad road. The right rear strut couldn't keep up with the bumps and was just 'hammering' itself down the road. That is why I stumbled upon this site, looking for rear struts. We now have 85,000 miles on it. All that in 30,000 miles and still dealing with issues. We decided to keep it because we like it, we have invested some time/money into it and hopefully the major issues are over, and I know other vehicles will have their own issues too. My brother-in-law had a transmission go out in their RDV :( , then they sold it. It had a hitch on the back when they bought it. We won't be putting one on ours...
    edited September 2010
    Rendezvoodoo is so true. I had so much money in mine at the $10,000 mark I thought I would keep it too, but then the AWD went out, the Power Lock Breaks, then The Torque converter stuck on on, then both the solenoids (?), and it was slamming into gear at 21, 30, and 41 miles an hour. I thought then I would have to pay for a new trans, so I cut my losses and dumped the GM disaster.
    Love my new Nissan Murano, pearl white, leather seats, a 2007, made in Japan by Japanese.
    Not like the Buick Rendezvoodoo, which I found after I bought it was made in Mexico probably by underpaid Mexicans with no health care benefits, while the fat cats in Michigan or wherever took their outrageous bonus' and drove the company into the ground.
    Even making the car cheaper for them in Mexico did not reduce our price, only added to their bottom line and reduced mine to pennies.
    Now my tax dollars are bailing those jerks out, they should have let them fold, they are not producing jobs anyway, just whinning about no money.
    Guess the Mariah from GM Customer service that answered someone on this board is scared to show her hand, as I have had no response.
    If I were you at 85,000 miles, you better dump that disaster, as the head gaskets are probably leaking and are ready to explode about 93,000 miles.
    That was $2700 that I am still paying on.
    Trust me, this car will not get better, it will only get worse, and even as comfortable as they are on the inside, it will explode.
    If you value your retirement, you better trade it in for a foreign car.
    To Mariah and GM, no one in my earshot will ever buy a Buick ever again. ;)
  • 2002nightmare2002nightmare Member Posts: 5
    Hi Mariah
    I wrote GM customer service several times about the extensive problems I have with my Rendezvous and never have received any type of response. The entire sending unit in my car is fried!!!!! It gives me every code all the time (low oil pressure, low oil engine level, service traction system, service Anti lock brake, etc. etc. etc.) I took my car in two times before the warranty wore out for these same issues and of course the dealership could never duplicate the problem. Low and behold as soon as the warranty ran out I was told " Your whole sending unit is bad and it is $1800 to fix" - WHAT????. Also the air conditioning stopped working right after the warranty ran out. AND the worst problem of all. I CANNOT drive this car in the winter, it is a serious life risk. The back of the car sways all over the place. I have had several repairs made to the back suspension including replacing the springs and the spindles. No one can diagnose the problem. I have spent thousand of dollars on this issue alone and to no avail. I am terrified to put my family in this vehicle in the winters. This is the WORST car I have ever owned. :lemon:
    Just my thoughts
    Thank you
    Hello 2002nightmare,
    I apologize that nobody got back with when you wrote us. To clarify are you current concerns the sending unit is bad, the back suspension, and the air conditioner? Or have any of these been fixed? Also, can you please e-mail me your VIN and current mileage? Thank you,
  • melly3080melly3080 Member Posts: 1
    Mariah, I have a 2002 Buick Rendevouz with VIN number of 3Z5DA03E82536011. My heater no longer is working and I have taken it to get checked out at numerous dealers and no one seems to know what is wrong. Please Help!!!!
    Hello Melly3080,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on with your heater? How long has the concern been present? Can you please resend your VIN via e-mail it didn't go through you maybe missing a number? You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • phlupphlup Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum, and I too wish I hadn't bought a used 2002 Rendezvous. Goes down the road pretty well with 105K miles, BUT required a complete rebuild of tranny & xfr case around 75K; fuel gauge inop for last 10K or so (solvent additives haven't fixed it); just learned (a) we've probably been driving it since purchase @ 45K with broken rear coils, and (b) in effect, we've also been without a spare tire for much of that time, inasmuch as (1) it's flat, and (2) it cannot be accessed -- or even inflated -- without using a cutting torch or a die grinder.
    The forum's ostensibly about a class-action suit, but the only one I've found (Dex-Cool, or some such) appears to have wrapped up its claims two years ago. Can someone save me from reading 226 posts and tell me if there's a suit presently accepting claims? Thanks.
  • rendezvoodoorendezvoodoo Member Posts: 2
    I solved the rear clunking problem by replacing the rear shocks. The CXL has coils springs with external gas shocks in the rear. I grabbed the 'bad' one and shook it a little, heard a slight rattle-it was shot. Once I removed it, it would not return to fully extended position on its own. I don't know why the two places I took it to could not figure this out.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can someone save me from reading 226 posts and tell me if there's a suit presently accepting claims?

Try the "Search this discussion" feature at the top of this page. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • blue_electricblue_electric Member Posts: 1
    All I can say is ##!*#!! car! Can some one please, please, let me know if there is a law suit. Add me to it, to many things to list all. I'm a single Mom, with two kids,can't afford this. Will be calling CJOH TV and MarketPlace if nothing is going to be done!!!
  • 02blues02blues Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used 2002 Buick Rendezvous in April of 2004 from a GM dealership (above). It is an AWD V6 CXL SUV. My car manual specifically states not to use anything other than DexCool antifreeze. I was afraid to use anything else because I thought using the \"wrong\" antifreeze might damage my engine. ??!! I never received any notice from GM or the Dealership or Dexcool regarding the problems on this vehicle and DexCool. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL AND ALL CAR OWNERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED AS SOON AS THEY REALIZED THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH IT! Even after the lawsuit I did not get notified in any way, and the dealership never told me to stop using DexCool, so I have been continuing to experience engine problems!
    Damage Resulting = I bought the Rendezvous on April 3, 2004. It had 37,591 miles on it. I paid just under $20,000 for it. On 12/8/05 I did a transmission flush. Four months later, on March 9, 2006, the car was found to have the intake manifold gaskets leaking oil and coolant, and the front timing cover seal was leaking. It also needed front and rear brakes. At that time they told me the coolant was leaking all over everything and was getting into the transmission (and the brakes, too, I think.) Had to have another transmission flush done and I think coolant flush done - cost was $222. I had 3 estimates done for the rest of the work and they ranged from $3,300, to 1700 to $1,380. it cost me $89 and $73 for two of the estimates. Had work done at 4th shop on 4/20/06, cost me $730. On August 22, 2007, I had to have the intake gasket done again as well as a coolant flush; cost me $492. On August 11, 2009 I had to have the oil pressure switch replaced as it was leaking
    plus other work; total was $257. I was told about a year ago that the intake gasket was leaking oil and coolant again and had to be replaced again. The car did not pass inspection in June of 2010; one of the problems is transmission is slipping. Is that a result of the Dexcool coolant contaminating the tranny? I have thrown good money after bad into this car, and now the value of it is almost nothing. I can\'t afford to have it fixed again and I can\'t afford to buy another car. I can\'t sell it in this condition either (needs steering rack again, air compressor and rear air shocks in addition to the intake gasket.) I have also had problems with wheel hubs, bearings, harness, & wheel speed sensor. Engine is throwing lots of codes now. Air compressor is unique to the 02 & is $600 alone for the part. (BTW those of you with loud grinding noise problems if you have automatic load leveling it's probably your air compressor going.)

The interior & body are great, love the ride and the features. I just can't believe what a lemon this car's engine is, and I can't believe this car has dropped so far in value! Has anyone had any success with flushing their radiator, replacing the coolant with something other than Dexcool, replacing their gasket, and then been fine?

Love to hear success stories about how folks fixed their RDV problems & how they made headway with GM.

Thanks.
    3 sets of intake manifold gaskets? That sounds really unusual to me. GM had a new replacement gasket available in 03' and I haven't heard of any problems with the new part from anyone (doesn't mean it hasn't happened though). I also don't know how coolant manages to get into transmission from a leaky intake gasket. Some have switched from dexcool to regular green stuff, just should be very careful to fluch ALL the dexcool out first (I hear they don't play well together).
    Yes, my driver side window fell into the door & I had to have it fixed. I'm concerned about your issues with acceleration, tho. It makes me wonder if you have a transmission slipping problem. You might try having them replace the solenoid & see if that helps.
    Yeah. 3 intake gaskets. Huh. Fight to get GM to cover it, or offload a vehicle I still owe on and hope I don't inherit someone else's lemon? I'm having a hard time with this decision. I have loved this car. I just can't keep throwing money away on it.
  • lfclarke2010lfclarke2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have had all the problems mentioned in post with my 2002 Buick Rendevous. If there is a class action please post information. I purchased mine in 2005 and started having problems in 2006 and it got worse as the years went on. It is in the shop now because the body modual system needs to be replaced. It has been a nightmare with this vehicle. Please post on FB and here if there is a class action as I do not want to miss out.
  • jen5050jen5050 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2010
    oh many of us have had issues and this was from day one when we purchased it from a local dealer. Took in many times for over heat,electrical issues and brakes. We hate this car and finally the engine due to the dexcoolant 2 years ago. They refused to fix and said it was they never heard of such a thing yet it was displayed many times on edmunds . we had a local gentleman replace gaskets only to find the engine was gone after $ 2300 and days of riding a bike to work. I hate they have not contacted any on the lawsuit we are in finally after 2 years selling for junk with the engine apart in the trunk since the gentleman passed away probably due to this headache vehicle. We hate this vehicle and everytime we see one it makes us sick how much thousands we lost and just finished paying off the junk. get rid of it fast .The lawsuit was closed a two years ago we knew of and it was closed .Good luck to all whom own the junk
  • cavstormcavstorm Member Posts: 2
    We are currently experiencing problems with our Speedometer. It registers I am doing 100 when I know I am only doing 30mph. We contacted the dealer and they said it would be approx $1000. I have owned this vehicle less than a year and it has been a headache more than once. I have been in the shop with it more than any other vehicle. Two weeks after we bought the vehicle I kept smelling gas - it actually started coming through my heater. I took too the dealer to find I had a major gas leek which the service tech said it was actually life threatening could have caused a fire. They had the vehicle 2 weeks - they would have had it longer but my husband blew a gasket at them. Then after getting it back I went through $80 of gas in one weekend - come to find I had another gas leak in a different area. I can't even believe this vehicle passed inspection. Now I have the speedometer problem. I have read that this issue is known with GM products but no recalls. Why Not! If any one knows of an existing class action suit please let me know or where I can go to get justice. I absoultly refuse to pay for this.
  • sching225sching225 Member Posts: 1
    Please contact me if there is a class action lawsuit. Email is sharrow225@yahoo.com. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. I am not a person who can afford all the repairs. Within a month of buying the vehicle the head gasket went (on a vehicle with 60,000 miles on it) while my husband and I were on our way home from a special weekend. It was my birthday and we spent the night 200 miles away from home in February in the back seat of my vehicle for 12 hours waiting for our dealership to help us out with the problem (I realize this is a problem with the dealership, who ended up paying for the whole repair after much argument) but needless to say I spent most of my birthday crying and frozen and sleepless. This would have never happened if the Rendezvous wasn't a piece of junk. My window fell off the track and shattered, got a new window but couldn't afford to get the track fixed. No air conditioning, the heat only works when it is turned all the way up, my passenger seat won't recline, the rear knuckle is bad. Just the knuckle alone will cost $1800,not to mention my year old tires that are now ruined because of it. I am so disappointed with buick. I had planned on buying Buick for a while because I used to like the reputation but unless something miraculous happens to where their customer service is phenomenal (which I have yet to encounter) then I don't see that happening. I saw the Enclave came out and was kind of excited about it, but then remembered it was a Buick and said forget it. I have 3 kids and a husband, I need to worry about saving money for a more reliable car like a Subaru or something. I will continue to tell everybody who likes my car what a piece of junk it is and to not buy a Buick until their quality changes. They used to be known for their quality. Ever hear the saying "It's built like a Buick"? That was the whole reason for buying the vehicle. Now if I hear that saying I will steer away from that purchase because it's probably a lemon.
    edited May 2011
    I missed the first class action suit, sadly. I bought a 2002 Rendv in 2004, spent $11,000 on repairs, incl the head gaskets, tie rods, AC, etc, and finally dumped it in Nov 2010.
    Reread your message and ask yourself why you are even keeping this vehicle. Take it from us former owners it will only get worse, and do not expect any Buick assistance.
    By the way, reread your paperwork, my Buick was made in Mexico, I found this out after I bought it. Guess I should have fueled it with Marguarita's.
    I traded my nightmare in for a Nissan Murano, love it to death, its a perfect midsized SUV, leather seats, 2007, pearl white, 20.8 mpg, and 18 inch tires, and paid same as I paid for the 2002 BR in 2004.
    Had to buy the new tires, as it came in off lease with orig tires.
    If you want to save your sanity please dump this piece of junk or you will go crazy with the repairs and the costs. I feel like I have a weight off my shoulders since I dumped that Buick.
    I will never buy another GM or American car, ever. :mad:
    sching225,

Have you had the vehicle into a GM dealership, if so could you provide details of their conclusion? Also, could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mordredmordred Member Posts: 1
    My girl has a 2003 and her ABS light has been on for a year because she was told the computer needed to be fixed and it would cost 4500 dollars to get the job done. They cut some wire that sounded an alarm and left the light on. She told me last night that the car was sluggish on acceleration and it sounded like there was a noise coming from the front end. I went over and drove it. Could hear the noise and it felt as if the parking brake was always engaged even though it wasn't. I had a caliper seize on a Jeep before so I checked the front wheels and they both were hot. The rotors were very hot. Poured water on the rotors and they steamed. I'm wondering if this abs/traction control isn't causing the problem, but i'm not familiar with how it works. Could it be engaging the brakes at all times instead of pulsing them and cause the sluggish feeling and heat? Appreciate any input.

Also considering looking at these wires I've read about from the hubs to the engine that may be causing the ABS light to stay on. Thanks for your time.
  • jhammondsjhammonds Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 2002 Rendezvous had to be put in the shop for the manifold gaskets leaking antifreeze. Come to find out she is not the only person having issues with this problem,others are experiencing the same issue. Can anyone inform me if GM had a recall on 2002 Buick Rendezvous for thier faulty gaskets that was made out of material not suitable for gaskets. Is GM helping anyone out for this, there are a lot of complaints over this. If so can I get a customer service number, or e-mail address, something , anything will help.
    The bill for this repair is $612 which is something we don't have right now because of medical reasons. Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
    well it was from the beginning overheating and took in several times due to the dexcoolant eventually but denied by the dealer causing are gaskets to rot. We did find a suitable mechanic that did replace them for 2300 only to find out it started nocking 2 days later and we did return it and was not called for 3 weeks and I called him to see if he found what was wrong and he said the engine was blown and it would another 3 to 4,000 to put in a new engine in no time he died of a heart attack and we picked it up with the engine in the back end and it did sit here 2 years with hearing from nothing on the lawsuit since we sent all materials and bills like we were told. I walked 6 miles to work for a long time because of this and we lost out several thousands with 2 1/s years of 540 payments monthly it was a little over 100,000 when blown so we could not file a lemon law . This car sucks the windows,electric ,alarms.breaks,tires is should have been recalled we will never buy a Buick again. Poor guy probably died due to the stupid vehicle.
  • kahelilanikahelilani Member Posts: 2
    I am replacing my BCM today - for the 2nd time. I purchased my 2002 Buick RDV brand new - so it's 9 years old with 136k+ miles. This item is not cheap to replace and I did so about 2 years ago. I think it's time to dump the vehicle before all the other major items start to crap out on it. I am additionally having to repair more leaks in the AC system. I've been doing this since the car was about 2 years old - and I recall the service manager at the dealership saying "Oh ya - we see this a lot!" Hmmm - that does (did) not instill much confidence in the GM/Buick brand for me. The heater at the feet area is horrible - I think they forgot to hook up the heater hose and the vents down at the feet is way to small to be effective. I bought the car in Michigan - winters are long and cold - and you need a good foot heater!! Now I live in Texas - LONG HOT summers - and the AC needs to BLOW - not just on setting 5. Oh I've owned this car so long I could ramble and ramble about all the things I don't like about it. I will say - it has always been a nice comfortable (luxury) ride and is extremely spacious in the front cabin with little blind spots. It has been a very good vehicle to me overall - I guess they just don't build 'em like the used to. I don't really want to buy another car - but can't justify the money pit my Rendezvous is becoming.
    I dont understand why a recall was never made on this vehicle with all the issues people have been having since it was made. my niece has a Aztek with the same issues so I dont know if it was ever corrected. I loved my car but after 28,000 and 100,000 and Blown after all the issues and fixex and Blown and another 3200 Bllown I said rid of it other problems, window regulator,gaskets,overheat,brakes and more it would be worth it we sold ares after the engine was took apart again after gaskets just replaced and Blown for $1500 what a shame I loved it
  • rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 2002 Vous new. It was a terrible car. It had great features but 2002 was not a good year. GM should have bought them all back.

Under warranty, I had 3 BCM's replaced. I paid out of pocket for replacing the wheel bearings.

Thankfully, in 2007, I hit a deer and took the insurance money and bought a 2007 Vous. It has been a very reliable car.

I love my 07, but hated my 02.
  • martywtmartywt Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I own a 2002 Buick Rendezvous also, and I just took it to the shop for overheating. Two different garages told me it was the intake manifold gaskets were leaking coolant. My A/C went out a couple of months ago. I'm also having issues with the anti-lock brakes. I bought the car last summer, and it currently has about 97k miles on it. I gather from these posts, that this is a problem vehicle. It is going to cost me $650 to fix the intake gasket issue ALONE! Not to mention the other issues. I wondered why the car had only 87K , when I purchased it. Maybe it was a problem to the previous owner too. I don't really have this kind of money for repairs.
    Marty
    So sorry for the deer, but happy for you to be rid of the 02. Boy we all got taken to the cleaners by GM on that Vous. I am so happy I finally dumped mine and got a Nissan Murano. Love it, faublous ride, no problems and I am no longer stressed out when I get in my car.
    Your problems are just beginning, my head gaskets started to leak around 86,000 and the GM dealer did not tell me, just put a tiny note on the second page of my receipt. Then when they blew at 96,000 when I was out of town, I coasted back to town and the dealer charged me $2600 plus to fix the heads. Thank you dexcool.
    This dealer saw me at least every month for something with this car and they knew these cars had problems, but did he mention it, NO. :mad:
    Do yourself a favor, push it off a bridge, or trade it in fast.
    My Vou-do cost me close to $11,000 for repairs from 04 to 2010, when I finally got a brain and traded it in for a beautiful Nissan Murano. Love it.
    I will never, never, never buy another GM car, which by the way, they made my Vous in Mexico.
    Good luck getting GM to fix anything. They can sure take our money fast for their junk car but not even the dealer warned me of the problems with that Vous, after taking it in month after month for something elst to fix.
    Finally I could not spend another cent on it, and when it died on the highway off ramp I had it towed many miles to a shop, where it sat till I could trade it in.
    Get a Nissan and save your sanity.
    Bet their fat cats in the corporate office do not drive a Rendevous, or even a GM car, but they sure cash their bonus checks fast, not to mention our stimulus money. :(
  • martywtmartywt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads up Julia. I've had mine since August 2010, but didn't start having issues until about a couple of months ago. I currently have 97k miles on my RDV. The first thing to go was my A/C , then my anti-lock brakes are scrubbing bad, and now my intake manifold gasket is leaking. I didn't put all of this together until my mechanic said that GM should have recalled these vehicles! I got home and got online and did some research, and discovered he was right!! Seems like thousands of complaints have been lodged about this vehicle. You would think that GM would acknowledge the problems and make it right. I paid $6k cash for mine last year, and realize I over paid now. Mine is only worth a little over 4k now!! I can't afford to trade at this point. So, I guess I'm stuck with it for now. I wish there would be a Class Action suit. I would join in a heartbeat!
  • 69fordfastback69fordfastback Member Posts: 2
    My wife has an 03 we bought used that is a POS!!!!!! The abs/service traction sys light keeps coming on. I know a lot of people have had this problem but is there a permanent fix? I have replaced both wheel bearing assy's, brand new tires, and brand new brakes all around. It worked fine for about a month and now the dang service traction system/ abs light keeps coming on and the dang abs is popping again. I can keep replacing wheel bearings but it only fixes the problem for a few weeks at a time. I promise I will avoid GM like the plague because of this!!!!!!!!!!
    While it could be the speed sensor in the hub assembly, often times its the connection to the sensor corroded/loose , or somewhere else in wiring, or an issue with the c-305 connector
  • 69fordfastback69fordfastback Member Posts: 2
    Where exactly is the c-305 connector located? Do you know how many volts or ohms should show through the wires so I can try and track down any bad connections? Thanks for the reply!!!!! Ive got more help from you then when I called Buick about it.
    The C-305 connector is just behind the drivers seat (about where a rear passenger would be their feet). It goes from inside the cabin to underneath vehicle. Pretty easy to see underneath. You can google 'gm c035 connector' and find the various issues it can cause. I do not have the specs the values you should see.
  • chevytruck_guychevytruck_guy Member Posts: 1
    My 02 had the same problem with the ABS and traction control. It is a pretty easy fix. Order new wiring harness plugs for the wheel sensors. Once I replaced them, no problems. The connector goes bad for some reason.
  • dmarshadmarsha Member Posts: 1
    We had to have our manifold gaskets replaced this year as well - cost a bit more than your repair bill. Now, my Traction light is coming on and activating. A/C went earlier in the summer. If we forget to turn off the radio before turning off the car, the radio becomes locked and Security flashes! Has there been a Class Action? Some other postings indicate there was one. We are the original owners and have less than 50K miles on it.
  • global_georgeglobal_george Member Posts: 1
    I didn't know about this forum. However, yesterday's experience at a GM dealer shop and a phone call today made me search for any information regarding this rendezvous. I bought this truch in 2005 with 46,000 miles on it. I drive is very sparingly, and today it has only 87,000 miles on it. I have not had much problems with it apart from fixing bearings. On Saturday, as l was driving on the freeway, the temp gage just did an Usain Bolt on me to the red and back to zero and again to red, and the coolant overheating alarm started wailing followed by a
    "a change oil" signal yet the oil was just changed about 2 months ago. The truck lost power till it couldnt even go 30 mph. I decided to turn round, and drove slowly back to my apartment. Yesterday morning, l became the first customer at the shop begging for some answers since they are the ones who chnaged the oil. The jury verdic was that "your cylinder head gasket has blown out, and it will cost you $1,900 plus tax to fix it" What? l screamed! How can that happen? I added! Well, thats what it is, added a voice on the other side. I told the guy that please send me the courtesy vehicle to pick me up so that l may come and pick up the truck for keeping while pondering how l will raise the $2000 plus for this repair. I picked up the truck, and its safely in purgatory in our apartment parking lot, courtesy of Metropolitan apartments. Then came a Tuesday phone call! The dealer shop informed me that GM wants to participate in repairing my truck if l agree to pay $500 deductable. Who can refuse such a lucrative offer? I answered yes, and l will take the truck back next week! This phone call sent my head spinning! Really? GM is paying for my repair? The quest for learning more about this offer overshadowed the original excitement. As an engineer, l decided to discover more, and here l am! It seems as if people are having more problems with this truck than l originally thought! God save me because l don't have enough money to even trade it in for something! The other problem l have noticed is wailing of the front passenger door window when being wheeled up and down. And, l will tell the shop! As for now, l leave my truck to God to take care of it since am screwed in this much as long as l still own this truck!
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2011
    Hi there...

Sorry to read about the problems with your 2005 RDV. You are correct, unexpected technical problems (especially high priced repair problems) are a pain. A huge "pain". And, multiple repairs from "weak design" area is a pain as well.

For my wife's 2003 "1st generation" FWD RDV, I've endured the following repairs:
    - Replaced both front wheel bearings.
    - Replaced both rear wheel bearings.
    - Repalced both front brake rotors (several times).
    - Replaced front suspension bushings.
    If wondering, the suspesnion (bearings / bushings / brake rotors) on the RDV vehicle are the size of many compact cars. Way "too weak" for a heavy vehicle. Thus, these items wear out faster then expected.
    - Refused to replace the AC rad (that has leaky seals). Thus, NO working AC in our RDV. Compressor seal, compressor pump and AC clutch have always been a weak design in GM vehicle brands. Expecially in their mid size cars and mini-SUV product lines.
    - Its ignition key is now starting to stick. re: Must turn the key really hard - like a pin in the steering column is jamming its rotation. This is a known weakness witht he RDV design as well.

For future repairs on my wife's 2003 RDV, I expect its intake gasket to go. When it does, we'll be trading it in. Will probably buy an Kia Rondo or perhaps an X-Trail. If wondering, we've put enough "repairs do to lower grade engineering design" fixes on our 2003 RDV. Time to try a non-GM product next time around...

Long mumblings short... I feel for you. My 2003 RDV has high repair costs as well....

I am glad to hear that you are working with the dealer towards resolution. Please feel free to keep us posted on your progress and contact us if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • cierra3440cierra3440 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get GM to cover that? I bought mine in Sept 09 with 60,000 miles on it. A few months later I had to get a new transmission and transfer case. Then the alternator went. Then new tie rods. My heated seats & my heat needed to be fixed. My ABS light randomly turned off and on. Last month all of the wires under the dash caught "melted together" and its not driveable. Its over 3 grand to fix and thats less than what I owe on the car! I've had nothing but problems with it and insurance doesn't cover this last "fire" because there were no actual flames! It's been headache after headache and it's not because I don't take care of my car!
  • chickey67chickey67 Member Posts: 1
    Wow - I am so glad I found this forum.....

Where to begin....shortly after buying my rendezvous in 2006, my plugs for the phone charger went....then the heat and air con would only work when turned to 3 (no other settings). I was advised that I should change the fuses?????
    The coil springs went.....and, just a month ago it was back in the shop only to find out it now needs a $2000.00 head gasket.
    For the past two days, my ABS, TC lights are glowing all over my dash and when I apply pressure to the breaks the ABS kicks in.......my seatbelt sign glows ALL THE TIME......

What do I do.....who do I contact........I am so frustrated.
  • buddo9buddo9 Member Posts: 18
    This is all getting to be pretty bad when no one listens!?
    All Buick Rendezvous overheat! It’s a badly designed system with no upper engine compartment ventilation! It’s one thing to save on mileage with a hot engine but another when it’s so hot it burns out all gaskets and seals everywhere! Counter productive to say to least! People are spending tons of money on repairs that are not necessary!
    I bought a 2002 Rendezvous knowing full well that I could fix the overheating problem! I got a good deal on the SUV and bought it knowing it was an easy repair! The previous owner spent a bundle on new head-gaskets and still the overheating problem did not leave! I purchased it knowing full well what the problem "was" !
    I did an inspection on the (engine compartment) The engine sits quite high in there and the heat of the engine has no escape from the compartment. It’s closed off and the engine sits in it’s own heat getting hotter and hotter destroying gaskets and all other heat related injuries ! The cooling fans direct the incoming air to the bottom and out below the problem!
    My inspection shows trails where the heat did escape around the upper rubber seal at two ends over the engine compartment.. Those very small openings were the only means of heat escape, but not nearly enough! The heat there was so intense it started bubbling and blistering the paint on the hood! That was all the information I needed to be confident in the purchase of this 2002 Buick Rendezvous!
    After the purchase I cut the rubber seal down away from the hood at least one inch by two feet from center…I was also careful not to remove the guard area for rain water. The lower section of the rubber guard takes care of that. For a test to be sure I sprayed water over the windshield and not a drop spilled onto the engine…..
    Well it’s been two years and not one over-heating problem since…… I have photos on the work done if you like……
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2012
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop telling people to remove or modify the factory "rubber" from their RDV's engine compartment. Rubbers are there to keep water out. Just like rubbers are installed around doors and rear hatches to keep water out as well. Rubbers are needed to stop the rain / snow and ice sliding down the front wind sheild and landing on top of the engine. If you want people to allow more air-flow cooling, it would me much wise to recommend the person install a hood vent. Have its opening facing the rear (windshield area) and it has a small screen. While driving down the road, air flows into the front RAD opening and out the top of the hood's optional hood scoop - NOT within the clearance gap where a factory rubber was installed.

If you feel a a rubber should be removed or its size modified, suggest contacting GM and asking them to perform lab tests on all 2002 to 2005 RVDs. If you are NOT an auto certified GM tech, please STOP telling people to remove the factory rubber (from their hood area). The rubber is there for a reason.

If wondering... 3.4L engines blow their intake gasket because of the design of the engine's intake and the early gaskets used in these engine were of weaker material. Weak material and Dexcool exposure too long and their gaskets "can" blow. Especially repair risk increase when vehicle was "over stressed" - like towing or driving aggresively. If wondering, my 2003 FWD RDV has its original intake gasket (and factory hood rubber) and it works great. All because its the ligher weight FWD model (compared to the heavier weight AWD vehicle), we drive it like a baby (with NO towing) and we change its dexcool formula every 3 years.

BTW... If you check repair stats of 3.4L engine intake repairs, you'll discover GM mini-vans (like the Venture and early Montana/Uplander vans), and other GM sedan models blow 3.4L intake gasket as well. It's a common problem with the early 3.4L engines. The problem is NOT isolated to the early RVD model vehicles. Please stop telling people to remove or modify factory "rubbers" from their hood / firewall area. Very, very bad idea. Especially for the folks in north ice/snow winter regions.

I would agree, its much better to correct the real problem and not try some magic fix. On your 03' you may have the newer intake gasket as it became available sometime that year.

The intake gaskets cause coolant loss and if not checked and corrected sooner or later they will overheat and blow head gaskets.