Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• mlayton694mlayton694 Member Posts: 45
    I know this is an SUV board, but styling on Dodge trucks could really be improved. The interior of durango and others sprawls with K-Mart grade plastic that is just awful. I mean if youre gonna pay 26-30k+ on any vehicle, shouldnt it "appear" to be high-quality ? Have to applaud the utility of the Durango, nice room, nice power, decent ride for a large vehicle, would some style improvements cost that much more to put into Dodges ?
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I have to ask, what level should the Durango be brought up to? One thing you have to look at is how is it compared to other vehicles in it's class. So when you say the interior looks cheap compared to what? For example I look at the Ford Explorer and I think the interior on that is about as cheap looking as you can get.
    I hear ya , comparatively I guess this is par for the course. Nicer dash layout with perhaps a more "quality" feel and touch, you got me stumped because I dont know how to describe it , its just an impression , I would love to see them taking some design cues from German cars (VW, Audi, BMW) but some people like chocolate and some vanilla I suppose. This is just cosmetic stuff that I dont think would cost that much but I could be wrong.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    We should taylor our life style after these countries too huh? I lived in Germany for 3 years, the Old USA is much better........as for the interior designs....if you don't like the way the Durango is laid out, go buy a vw,audi or bmw, personally I like the dash of my 01 Durango, everything is within easy reach of the driver.
    Relax Haus, America's capitalism in modern times has influenced Europe far more than vice-versa, I was simply saying we could take cosmetic design cues from German cars. Ever hear of anyone ever spending $25k for a compact American car (eg-VW Jetta). The Jetta sells like hotcakes because of its style. Add a little bit of that visual and tactile style to a Durango and you got a better vehicle.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Thanks for the information. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to check back until now. I'll start asking questions at a local truck center to get some opinions and suggestions. The truck is used mostly for going to and from work. I do use it in some fields when I go hunting but this is a minimal amount of its use. Thanks again.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • marinersmariners Member Posts: 23
    .. I am going to buy one in three-one year. Just watch.
  • marinersmariners Member Posts: 23
    .. I am going to buy one in three months-one year. Just watch.
  • maxintoshmaxintosh Member Posts: 39
    We're getting rid of our Durango. We have had nothing but issues with it...

First of all, yes, it's a truck, but the handling is horrible. It is extremely top-heavy and feels like it could just flip at any minute. The ride is harsh... but then again, it's built on 1500's technology. Really, Dodge, leaf springs? A live beam axel?

I think the problem lies in Dodge touting this as a family SUV. That's extremely misleading. Everyone in our *family* finds the car most unpleasant. The car is full of contradictions. It's a truck. Most SUV buyers are minivan refugees looking for a family car that doesn't look like a family car. They don't want trucks.

And neither do we... We wanted an SUV so we could handle poor weather and the icy hills we have to drive through to get places in our rural part of the country.

But the Durango can't. It's a horrible highway car, it feels floaty and vague. There's a massive dead spot in the steering. In emergency handling, it feels clumsy and insecure.

When the weather turns nasty, the transfer case is a horrible pain the butt to use. It literally has to be forced into 4WD. A full-time All Wheel Drive system would be much more effective. The Durango doesn't offer Traction Control or Stability Control, so unless you're accelerating, there's nothing preventing you from sliding around the road.

Our Durango came with ABS only in the rear drum brakes. The logic being that the car would be less likely to fishtail, but the rear brakes take little of the force, and the front wheels are what need to turn. As a result, under heavy braking, the Durango performs very poorly, let the steering wheel and front wheels lock and scream as they drag along the pavement.

Not only does the brake pedal feel rubbery, but the rubber part fell off the metal beam for me multiple times! That's rather irresponsible of Dodge to not better conceive a method of attaching the brake pedal.

The steering wheel doesn't adjust for telescope, and sits uncomfortably and dangerously close to the driver, since the pedals seem very far away.

And despite what the people on this board claim about insurance ratings, the Durango did not so well in either the IIHS or NHTSA crash tests. Two stars is horrible for the driver. Chrysler was quoted as saying, "We expected it to get three". They engineered a car to get three stars for safety? Wow. No side impact protection. The head restraints are flimsy, hard, and too far away. The passenger airbag is pointed straight out, not up at the windsheild (which is proven to be much safer). The knee bolsters are hard, have sharp edges, and brittle. Can you imagine smashing into those things at high speeds? Ouch. The engine is not mounted to break away in severe collissions, so it gets pushed right into the cabin instead.

Our Durango has had a variety of problems, including a loud "clunk" around corners, a loud hissing sound after turning it off, multiple cracks in the windsheild, burnt out tail lights, the airbags recalled (greaattt), a brake pedal which likes to detach itself, etc. On the other hand, it's not bad looking, except for the Caravanesque tail lights and massive gaps in the body cladding. I also dislike the interior design, finding it to be way too GM with cheap materials and poorly conceived shapes. The murky green lighting at night could be nicer.

Fed up with the "family car" that's NOT, we turned to imports for a better solution. Both the MDX and Highlander are car-based, so they're not real utility vehicles, but they have the gobs of cargo space and ground clearance we need. Plus the Highlander has real Traction Control and All Wheel Drive. It rides much more like a car, feeling more confident in turns and more relaxing and quiet on the highway. It's much more comfortable. The stock stereo actually sounds decent. It has side-impact airbags. It's 220 horsepower and yet it acheives 18/22 mpg (compared to the Durango's 13/19). The engine is also much cleaner-burning... even if you have deep pockets, the environment has its limits.

We'll leave the Durango to those who need it for utility purposes... if only Chrysler would stop targeting the wrong market!
    Sorry to hear you don't like your d...., We are on our second Durango. Had a 98, now we have an 01, my wife loves the vehicle, haven't had any more problems then with any other vehicle. Course we don't beat our vehicles and they are garaged at night. I feel the Durango is a safe vehicle for my wife to drive in the changing seasons of Wisconsin. It gets her where she needs to go in deep snow, mud or rain. You say you have problems, what did your dealer say? Cracks in the windsheild, are caused by objects hitting it. I haven't heard of any vehicles that the windsheilds just crack for no reason. But then again, maybe the rest of us Durango Owners are better off with you buying a differant vehicle. I will bet no matter what vehicle you buy, you will be complaining about something.....I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.
  • armywifearmywife Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for a Durango and have found a 99 with only 26000 miles on it that is in great shape. It has a 5.9 liter engine. Can anyone tell me what the REAL gas mileage is for this engine, and how does it compare to the 4.7 as far as mileage goes? Also, are there any problems with the 99's that we should be aware of? Thanks!!
    I'm not the only one who dislikes the Durango. The nice people of Consumer Reports would be more than willing to back up my claims. We have multiple cars, and our Durango's windsheild is the only one cracking. Of course, our Caravan had the same problem. Who knows, maybe they use softer glass. I don't complain about every car I drive. We have an Audi A4 which has been pretty much perfect. Our 12 year old Toyota 4Runner has had less issues than the Durango. Even the Dodge Caravan was much more well conceived than the Durango. I'm just frustrated that Dodge would make some pretty poor choices, like using a live axel in front, ABS only in the rear DRUMS, having no knee bolster padding, designing such a difficult transfer case (our Durango-owning friends bitterly complain about this, as well) and allowing huge body cladding gaps to pass "quality control".

If Durango owners are better off without us, more power to you.

Kudos to Dodge for designing a hybrid Durango... but is that just their way of apologizing for not knowing how to build clean engines?
    I have to ask, did you look at the Durango before you bought it? Most of the things you are complaining about are things you would know before the purchase. You talk about it being aimed at the wrong market they sure sell a lot of them for a vehicle aimed at the wrong market. The Durango is what it is supposed to be an SUV, a vehicle for both on and off road which is where the solid axle comes into play. I think you are right Durango owners are better off without you.
    I just wanted to add it sound by your list of invalid complaints that you just don't like Dodge. So if this is REALLY your only complaint why even post a message, just get rid of the Durango and go out and buy one of those FAKE SUV'S
    Well, we bought the Durango mostly because we were trading in the Caravan. We like to trade our cars early before problems arise. The Caravan did just fine. Yes, we SHOULD have looked at the Durango more carefully. No, I'm not the only one extremely dissatisfied with the vehicle. Yes, the Durango is getting crappy ratings.

Considering what, like SEVEN PERCENT of SUV owners do off-roading which a "fake" SUV couldn't handle, there's very little point in real SUVs. And a vehicle with traction control will do MUCH better for driving in poor weather than the "real" SUV a Durango is. Are you really rock climbing in yours? 93% of the Durango owners would be better off with a less trucky suspension, but it's a fact Chrysler rushed into the SUV craze by dropping an SUV body on top of a pick-up truck frame. You can't blame them. I bet the 2003 Durango will be a heck of a lot better because it won't be rushed to market. Maybe we'll reconsider at that point.

Chrysler is all right, much better in my opinion than GM, and better probably than Ford. But I think that the Durango is a rushed-to-market SUV that handles sub-par, gets crappy gas mileage, and has terrible safety and ergonomics considerations.

I posted here to offer my story for people considering this vehicle... my opinion is no more holier nor less valuable than anybody elses. We should have done more research, you got me there rb123. Believe me, we have learned form our mistakes and have put a TON of research into our new vehicle. And we just sold the Durango, it depreciated nearly half its value in just a year (30,000 -> 18,000). Oh well...
  • gvissergvisser Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to hear you don't like your Durango. I love mine, but I had problems too. Of the three I had, two were minor and all have been succesfully fixed.

Can't say I agree with your opinions (expect the inadequate brakes), but we all have the right to express ourselves, and to purchase whatever auto we want.

That said...thank you so much for taking the lead on bashing SUV's! Those of us who actually use them for what they're intended may one day benefit from more and more experiences like yours. It would be so nice to see more of you going back to cars and mini-vans. Less pollution, less wasted fuel, less wasted metal, better road visibility for car drivers, more parking space, a return to solid axles for those of us that want them, and less attention to SUV's by the public and government.

One day, for fun, I noted the number of Expeditions, who was using them, and how. Surprise: the vast majority were women grocery shopping alone, single occupancies by both men & women, no pay loads, no dirt or dings on the paint, etc. (no knock against women; I could care less what sex drives what; it's just what I noticed - but I find it hard to believe all of them use the truck for it's true purpose, but that would probably include the men too). I realize the odds of catching each truck being utilized when I took notice, but when around 18 out of 19 don't even come close, I'd say there's some evidence. Yes, this observation irks me, but hey, we have the right to drive what we want, right?

As for the lean you experienced, there isn't a capable SUV on the road that doesn't lean. SUV's are, in part, unsafe because many who drive them treat them as a car. If you want a car like drive, try a car.

Hopefully one day the SUV fad will disappear and leave a wonderful glut of cheap SUV's in great condition (and hopefully some will still have solid axles).

Hope you're happier with your next purchase.
  • ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    Maxintosh did not review his D before purchase. I have had my D now for 46,000 great miles. No problems to report at all. Off road which I do for fun on occasion, The vehicle is more than adequate. As for bad weather driving, I love driving my D in the snow. Does great even on the trails. Roomy enough and comfortable during long drives. My wife likes it over her Ford Exploder Sport. Ride is smoother that others and yes gas mileage is not the best but I knew that before I bought. After all it is a TRUCK!! Those who buy and complain like MAX should do just what he is doing. Go and buy yourself a car based fake SUV. Leave the rest of us to enjoy our vehicles like we want. And by the way, I do like the solid axles.
  • joeweibeljoeweibel Member Posts: 2
    DURANGO OWNERS BEWARE - Our problems started with the oil light blinking on during turns and stops. The dealer stated we did not change the oil enough when in fact we followed the oil change schedule to the letter. The engine was building up SLUDGE which has turned out to be a bigger problem that Chrysler expected. Our dealer charged us $5300.00 to replace the engine block and internal components while blaming us for neglecting the motor. We sued Chrysler and they settled with us for half the repair charges, we should have persued the issue further after reading an article in the paper where many Durango owners are now having low oil and oil light problems. The articles I am referring to are by Junior Damato in syndication all over the U.S.
    If you experience these symptoms, DO NOT let Chrysler put the "screws" to you the way they did us.

Joe and Sherry Weibel
    (901)384-4100
    Yes this is a problem with some of the Durango's. I have one and have not had that however. Which engine do you have? Did you use the 7500 mile change that is in the Dodge manual? Condensation in the engine is the cause of this I believe I read somewhere. Sorry about your problems. A switch to synth may help your problem. I switched to synth when I first got my vehicle and have no such prob's. I have the 4.7 liter motor.
    I have a 2000 DD with the 31x10.5 15 tires and was wondering what others have replaced their tires with. I really dislike the OE tires because they're loud and poor in the snow and wet. I'm looking at either the Michelin Cross Terrains, BF Goodrich Comp TA KO or the Cooper Discover. Any comments or suggestions?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • jerentjerent Member Posts: 8
    Hello my friends...
    My wife and I are looking at a 2000 Durango SLT with the 4.7. It has 30000 miles and was a commercial lease vehicle (rental I am guessing). That would be enough for me to run, but they are saying it is a "certified used vehicle" and have included an 8 year/ 80000 Chrysler warranty. Of course I know that this warranty is built into the price (they are asking $23,000, but I haven't dealt yet) of the vehicle, but I am thinking, hey if everything is covered (engine, tranny, electrical, etc), what do I have to lose except for the time it may be in for repairs. Is this type of deal worth the risk. I need a mid size SUV with the 3rd row seat; that is why I am stuck with the Dodge Durango. I appreciate any feedback in advance. Good luck to all...
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    If mid-size SUV with 3rd seat is what you need, and you consider rentals, check out a Mitsu Montero XLS (not Montero Sport). Some rental companies have/sell them. Check Edmunds boards for info on it. I test drove a new one and really liked it. Reliability is really good, power and towing are not its strong points like the Durango. The CR roll-over on the Montero helps depreciate the truck really fast, so good prices are to be had. They changed tires and tighened the suspension to correct the problem, check the boards for even better handling(Rancho shocks). I have seen private sellers of 01' Montero XLS with 20k mi. for about 24k. New stickers 33k and can be bought at invoice of a shade under 30k. 0/0/0 financing is a joke, after a year, it goes to 9.9%. Look for new financing Jan 3rd. As for the Durango Rental, I would look at www.autotrader.com for a Private sale that had the extended warranty, or buy a low mi. truck and pick up the warranty.
    Personal experience on 99' Dodge Ram, 2 trannies replaced from "sludge buildup" under warranty. Current Tranny "needs to be cleaned" already. Great towing and power, but get the warranty.
    Hello. Alot of D owners have used a variety of tires. The most popular seem to be BF Gooodrich A/T's, Pirelli Scorpions or my favority Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. You can go to www.durangoclub.com and check out the archives on tires.
    I own the 4.7 and have had 46,000 reliable miles. No problems to report at all. In your case I would be careful. You don't know if the maintenance was done correctly or how the vehicle was treated for those first 30,000 miles. I would definitely have a good mechanic look at it first and then do a carmax background check on the vin number. This will give you the vehicle's history. Just go to www.carmax.com and it will be easy from there.
  • jogradyjogrady Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I did some research and read this board. I looked at Expeditions, Tahoes, Yukons, and Sequois. The Durango was the right size, right price, and right options. Last week I bought a 2002 SLT Plus with 4.7, Tow Package, skids, alarm, AWD, and 4 wheel ABS. Paid way under INVOICE, 0% financing for 3 years, 7yr/100,000 warranty, PLUS $300 "bonus bucks". I couldn't pass this one up. One minor electric short circuit I need to get fixed, otherwise it is smooth, quiet, tight, good looking, and yes, a gas guzzler! Will post back if any problems come up.
    My 01 SLT PLUS 4x4 gets anywhere from 18 to 21 on the highway........mmmmm, must be your AWD, I have part-time. In a 4x4 I don't consider it a gas guzzler unless your down below 12mpg. But then again you don't drop 35k and worry about your gas mileage either, if you do, you should of bought a kia.........
  • 300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    I bought a 01 R/T and want to make a few mods. has anyone made the change to the clear Eurostyle lights? Front and Rear. How hard is the install? Also does anyone make a Cold Air intake for the 01 R/T engine? If so where can I get it? What is the Top Speed for one of these trucks stock?

Thank you
    Has anybody heard or seen anything about the next edition of the Durango? The Detroit Auto Show sure had their share of competition for the D with respect to the passenger capacity, highway driving and "SUV" stylistic approach. Is the powerwagon that was shown last year the future? When is the future supposed to happen?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    You should go to www.durangoclub.com. There are great people there as well as information and corporate sponsors who make just what you are looking for. My intake has been changed by me to an Intense Performance Stage II. My next mod will be a Fastman Throttle Body. Check them out. Great info on Durango's there.
  • blg61497blg61497 Member Posts: 1
    I would just like to share my experience with dodge. In October of 1998 my husband and I leased a 1999 dodge Durango we were so excited it was beautiful and it was a 4x4. We had it 3 months and the engine went out caused by the factory leaving out a chip. Then in 2 weeks later were at the hopsital having a baby and my husband pulls the Durango up to the main entrance to bring us home turns the car off we get in baby, flowers and all get all buckled up and start the car and it doesn't start. We have to have the car towed my mother has to come and get me and the baby and my husband rides with the tow truck to the dealership. Talk about an hormonal break down. Then they tell us a wire had come disconnected in the engine. WE were not happy. Then in fall of 2000 the temp light kept coming on aying the car was hot but it wasnt this went on for about 3 months dealership said it was something to do with the cooling system it was about 900.00 to fix. also the windows would not go up and down. That was a chip. Then in 2001 about 9 months after fixing the cooling system it starts again we take it in and they fix it again costing us about 400 and the windows dont work again. they tell us there stuck and they work when we leave but the next day all work but one and today it still wont let down. Unfortunately we are in a lease that is not up until October and you can bet I will sell this baby. The sad thing is that I really love the SUV the style the inside and know there are people that have them that have had no trouble. WE take very could care our cars they have regular oil changes and tune ups so we do not neglect the car. The sad thing is we are well over our mileage and will have to pay about 18500 for a car that is not worth 13500. You can get a new one for the same price. You can bet I will never buy a dodge again.
  • paulypoohpaulypooh Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between the 5.2L and the 5.9L 1998 Durango. What kind of gas mileage can I expect from both of these engines?
    blg61497 - I understand your frustration. I had to take my truck into the dealer where they had it for 6 weeks as they replaced a wiring harness (which was covered under warranty). In the mean time I'm out $1200 in rental car costs(insurance did pick up part of it). This wasn't covered under any type of warranty and both the dealer and manufacturer felt no obligation. I've also had problems with the power windows, cruise control and I can hear the power lock on the hatch starting to fail. I love the looks and utility of this vehicle but I will not own another one. There are far better and more reliable vehicles currently on the market and coming to market soon.

paulypooh - I'll try to help you on your decision by telling you my experience. I've got a 2000 with the 5.9 and my mileage typically is 13. I've gone as low as 10.7 (winter driving) and as high as 17 (once). The truck is maticulously maintained and I don't drive hard. My driving is probably 60/40 highway and city. I use the vehicle as my main type of transportation and do haul 4-5 passengers (and all of their goodies)at least once a week. I hope this helps.

I ask questions on this board and keep getting sent to a durango club web site. In my opinion the sites forum is difficult to follow and rarely has the information I'm looking for.
    I would appreciate it if I asked a question that someone would give me an answer. If you take the time to send me to another site why not use that same time to give me my answer.
    I follow several boards on Edmunds and they have healthy exchanges of information. I hope that this board can become the same.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    porknbeans,

I noticed that ywilson was kind enough to answer your previous query about OEM tires quite specifically and also suggested another source where you might get additional information.

Your most recent query seemed to ask for a divination which, perhaps, no one here feels qualified to address.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Point taken. What I'm trying to do is get an active discussion going by all people who may use or pass thru this discussion board. I've seen it on several other boards here at Edmunds and was attempting to spark some activity. My apologies to a poor approach to make this happen. I know that there are many with answers to questions I have posted who choose to not answer and I wish they would. Yes, I do understand it is there choice not to answer and have taken that route myself on many occasions.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What I'm trying to do is get an active discussion going by all people who may use or pass thru this discussion board.

Fair enough! Anyone? Can we accomodate him?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • kblesskbless Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SLT Plus 4wd Durango and really enjoy this vehicle. I am wondering if anyone has purchased a rear window air deflector as the rear window seems to get dirty very easily.
    Also, has anyone tried to upgrade their infinity sound system with either a new amplifier,speakers
    or changed the head unit.
  • rlavenderrlavender Member Posts: 2
    Front Anti-lock brakes are not standard,but an option.Rear anti-lock brakes are standard. Why would anyone not want to have front ABS? I realize you could stop quicker on gravel or snow without front ABS, but I would think you could stop quicker with them on wet pavement. Most vehicles these days have standard front and rear ABS. Does anyone know the logic behind the Durango's design or has anyone had a problem with this?
  • wiredsungwiredsung Member Posts: 7
    Planning to buy the Durango and dead scared. I have owned Japanese cars for as long as I can remember, and yes, I've heard horror stories about domestics. I owned ONE domestic, a Ford Granada, which turned out to be a total piece of @#$%&.

I've heard that Chrysler has the worst reliability record for a domestic. Is this true?

Does anyone have a Durago over 2+ years that wants to share any problems that came up with the Durango?

Sure this question has come up already, but does gas mileage improve over time?

Can anyone tell me a story about Durango's resale value? I only keep my cars for around 1-2 years (not lease) and am dead scared.

I just love the Durango, but there's just little things that block me from buying it immediately.

Thanks in advance.
    I have had my Durango for 19 months now. Not quite the 2 years you are looking for but I can say that I have had no problems whatsoever. I have the 4.7 engine and 4x4. Not alot of fancy stuff. I just got the base SLT. No leather, etc,etc. I am about to turn 50,000 miles. I have taken long driving vacations and it is a daily driver. I had it totally synthed out after about 300 miles. I am a stickler for synthetic fluids for any vehicle. Just my choice. I traded a SAAB 900 for it. It is my first truck and after having and enjoying it, I am sure it will not be my last. All vehicles have something go wrong with them today it seems. People that are posting the problems here are doing so for info. The majority I know of have no problems. Some have had thiers longer than me. Hope this helps. By the way, you can't compare anything with a Granada. Least of all a Dodge truck. If there is one thing that America builds good it is trucks!!
  • nab00nab00 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my Durango for almost 2 and a half years. It has been a great truck.

To be honest with you, if you don't need the shift-on-the-fly 4WD and the truck frame for off-roading and such, look for something else. The ride is not exactly the greatest, but it fills all my needs.

Reliability has been OK but not spectacular. I have had 2 minor problems and a third that left me stranded. The two minor problems were a faulty trunk lock and crossed wires for the reverse lights. My major problem was my power steering pump failed in a parking lot and I had to have it towed. Even though that happened, I still love my truck and haven't had a problem in a little over 2 years.

Gas mileage is terrible when the engine is breaking in, but now I get 16 in the city and 18.5 on the highway and I am a serious leadfoot.

The last time I checked, Durangos were worth about $18,000 or so after 2 years. You can always check www.KBB.com or www.NADA.com for prices.

Overall, I have no doubts with my truck. Yes, I have had problems and the ride can get bad on some highways, but it is well worth it. If you have anymore questions, fell free to e-mail me.

Hope I've helped and good luck on your decision.
  • nab00nab00 Member Posts: 6
    I forgot to mention I have a little over 55,000 miles on my truck.
    Just hit 50,000 this morning coming into work and I am happy to say no problems with my D. This has been a great vehicle to own. My previous vehicles that were supposed to be the "best" do not compare. They were SAAB's. I do alot of driving and my D is only 1.5 years old. Most is highway driving to and from work. I guess that a little extra care goes a long way. I have used synthetics in her since new. (300 miles). I really enjoy it and look forward to the next 50,000. Anyone else with higher mileage please give a shout about your experiences.
    I've got a 2000 D with 60000 miles on it. Maintained, washed and cared for better than most. My experiences have not been as glowing but not the worst either from what I've heard. I've had 2 electrical glitches, a wiring harness and a central power unit that had to be replaced. The last two had the truck in the dealers garage for 6 weeks. All have been fixed but now I've got a power lock going out on the rear hatch. I love the size, the third row seat, the exterior and the power from the 5.9, but I wish it had 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Hi, I'm looking into buying a new Durango. I was wondering if anyone knows much on the SXT model? It's the new one for the year, and is priced nicely, but i don't know much about it and wonder if i shouldn't just stick to the SLT since i know it well.
    Anyone?
    thanks!
  • bgfflbgffl Member Posts: 2
    If anyone is considering buying a new Durango, NOW is the time. The rebate incentive on Durangos increased to $2500 today. I was already to call my dealer this morning to accept his prior offer when the phone rang and it was him informing me of the additional $500 rebate. I traded in a 2000 Durango SLT+ with 34,000 no problem miles on it. I hated to trade so early but just couldn't pass up the existing incentives. With available bank financing at 5.13%, $2500 rebate, 7year/100,000 powertrain warranty, only $250 to extend the 3 year/36,000 mile to 6year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper. I got all that and ended up lowering my payment by $10 a month. (plus I got heated seats)
    For me the Durango has been a great vehicle which meets my needs and comfort level. Good luck to anyone that takes the plunge!
    I have looked at one I saw recently. Nice truck and a great price. The only diff I see is the dark gray accents around it. Otherwise it seems like a SLT with different color bottom. You may probably have to pay for more options since as I recall it is one level below the SLT. Is this Doctor Rod?
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the input. Doctor Rod? Nope, sorry. The only thing i fear with the SXT is that, in order to lower the cost, some things have been made more cheaply (the seats, etc). I'm keeping this truck for a good long time, so i want to be sure. Also, i don't like the gray accents. Thanks again!
    Sorry about that. I have a buddy at work and we just started talking about the SXT's. He is also going to buy one. I think the seats are the same as in all the non-leather Durangos. As for worse quality I think that it is probably just building a Durango that more people can afford. Yes, there are less options but I think that if you are looking for a good truck without all the flair then this would be the one.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    649-

Actually the seat material used in the sxt is different than the other non leather models. Its looks like some polyester hybrid. Just a guess, but it sure doesn't look like it will hold up well under normal wear.
  • bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    While comparing vehilces, I read on another board that the Durango owners manual says that it is not intended for off-road. Other people have told me that too. Is this true? Just asking.
This discussion has been closed.