Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Audio/Radio

13»

Comments

• hillmanbillyhillmanbilly Member Posts: 13
    i don't believe there are RCA jacks on these, but you can tap into the speaker wires to send signal to the amp. had an amp installed in my truck and that's how they did it.
  • ccrismanccrisman Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a subscription to XM radio with my 2011 GMC Sierra, instead we have a portable XM radio that we move from vehicle to vehicle. When I plug this portable radio into the Aux port, sound only comes out of the left front speakers (drivers side). Thus sound for music is not good and passenger can't hear it so well unless too loud for driver. Is this normal? I would expect the sound to come from all speakers...
  • jmcfwjmcfw Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to swap the stock radio in our 2010 Silverado for the one in our 2011 GMC Sierra and if it is, how do we do it?

Thanks,
    Melissa
  • rgarga Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have a new 2011 Seerra PU with DVD player, onstar and GPS map all built into the radio and screen. I use an Ipod Nano 8g to play most all my music. I have several other devices that play these same Ipods. Including and alpine radio plus the stock radio on my motorcycle. The motorcycle displays the songs and gives me complete control over the Ipod like this radio does. However in my truck about 1/3 of my songs will not play. it is just nothing for the time each song is suposed to play. All my songs are ripped with Itunes and are the AAC audio. Any Ideas what I need to do. The mechanic thinks I need to convert to a differant format or codec but can not tell me which format.
  • glen_lglen_l Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my 06 envoy after changing the battery. I've had it happen a couple times before when i've boosted it where after the boost the radio wouldn't turn on but it would correct itself after i start the engine two or three more times, I'd always assumed that it was some kind of power save feature where the on board computer would detect a low battery and disable the stereo until it had a chance to charge (never really looked into it, might have just been a glitch) but I changed my battery a few weeks ago and it hasn't come back to life yet. Like you said, if i hit the power button the back lights come on, if i hit info the clock comes up for a bit and it has the right time and I can load and unload cd's just fine. I've noticed the security system indicator light doesn't flash either so maybe it's not communicating with whatever unit it compares VIN's with to make sure it's the right head unit. I'm trying to exhaust all options before i bite the bullet and bring it in. Have you had any luck with yours?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Per page 7-36 of the owner's manual, it looks like the supported file types are those with an .mp3 or .wma file extension, or. AAC files stored on an iPod.

Hope this is helpful for you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I understand wanting to find the root cause on your own, and wish you luck! I wasn't able to find any trouble-shooting resources on my end.

If you do end up having to go in, let us know!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rgarga Member Posts: 2
    all my songs are the AAC type. I convert all when I bring them into I-Tunes and then store them on the i-pod. I-Tunes used to say something about converting to a higher bit rate or something but it just asks if I want to create AAC version now with all the updates it has gone thru.
  • boater496boater496 Member Posts: 1
    07 GMC 2500 SLE
    Same issue, almost. Mine goes in and out when it rains or the humidity gets really high. Once it dries out its fine, only the front tweeters work when this happens. Drives me crazy, any and all help appreciated.
    Have you tried formatting all of them in the other two to see if it makes a difference?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    While I cannot advise on technical aspects of the vehicle, I am available to assist in working with a dealership. I wish I could help more right now, and hope that you are able to get some insight from other community members.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • problems2012problems2012 Member Posts: 1
    AM/FM disk factory radio powers up, display but no audio. A faint high level is heard on high volumn setting. Dealer wants $110 to hook up a "diagnostic computer" and go from there.
    This problem started 6 months ago with short beginning outage and got worse to nothing now. Help
    I understand that diagnostic fees can be difficult; if you do end up deciding to work with your dealer, I just wanted to make sure you knew we were available to you. All the best!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jtempleton14jtempleton14 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2012
    I have the same problem with my 08. It started with the chime then a few speakers. Now all but the A pillar tweeters work. One rear speaker comes on sometimes but this is no fun. I have an extended warranty on mine but i dont know if it covers this.
    jtempleton14,

Was your extended warranty one of our GMPPs (General Motors Protection Plans)? If so, I can look into what is covered for you: please send us the last 8 of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    no it a compainy my dealer uses. Dont know the name. My dealer is Carl Black in Kennesaw Ga.
    I'm sorry - I unfortunately don't have access to third-party service contract information. I would recommend contacting your dealership to discuss the terms of the contract.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • crc5crc5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested to see the outcome of this I have the same problem from my 2008 GMC Sierra. Any updates?
  • sroma22sroma22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Just wondering if you ever fixed your problem with the sound from tweeters only? im having the same issue in an 07 avalanche. Thanks, Steve
    The dealer told me all my speakers had shorted out. They replaced the door speakers and it is working. I thought it was the radio but it was the speakers.
  • vgilmervgilmer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Silverado 3500 that only has sound from the tweeters when the vehicle is cold. After you have been driving for a couple hours or the truck has been sitting in the sun all day all the speakers work. Did your speakers begin working after the truck warmed up? If so, did the dealership still say your speakers had all shorted out. I have no idea where to start with this one. thanks.
    Yes it was the same. The a- pillar tweets where the only ones to work unless it sat in the sun and got hot. They replaced the door speakers and it works again.
    vgilmer,
    It looks like you're planning on getting this sorted out on your own, but if you do decide to work with a dealership and wanted for us to check into anything for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name, phone and address, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • chepickens1chepickens1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado LT. About two months ago, this suddenly started happening. One day I just got into my truck and my radio sounded like total crap. I realized this was because none of the door speakers were working. The vehicle had 48,000 miles on it at the time, and I immediately took it to the dealership. I waited three hours and they charged me $75 to tell me I needed a new radio and that the radio would cost $500. Of course this upset me, because I'm 33 years old and I've owned one Mazda from 0 miles to 87,000 miles, two Dodges both from 0 miles to about 50,000 miles, and one Ford from 40,000 miles to 107,000 miles. OUT OF ALL THOSE VEHICLES, NONE HAD RADIO ISSUES. I drove them until the wheels fell off, but the radios still worked perfectly. That being said, I refused to buy the radio and called GM. I told them that hundreds of people online were complaining of the same issue and asked why they hadn't done a recall. Nobody has $500 to spend on a radio which has already been proven defective, and I've priced an aftermarket with all the gear it takes to make the steering wheel, onstar, and XM work and it was upwards of $700. GM informed me that there was no recall for it and said they'd come up with a plan to help me solve the problem. They called me back the next day and informed me they'd pay 10% of the cost for a new factory radio. 10 PERCENT!! That comes out to $50, that's not even paying me back for the $75 I wasted on my initial visit. There is no excuse for a vehicle that's been taken care of, looks like I just drove it off the lot yesterday, and has less than 50,000 miles on it to have its radio take a crap. IF I SOUND UPSET IT'S BECAUSE I AM....I'M IN THE MILITARY AND JUST GOT RE-ASSIGNED, SO I JUST MADE A 40 HOUR DRIVE CROSS COUNTRY LISTENING TO A RADIO THROUGH TWEETERS. Has anyone found a fix for this or gotten GM to do the right thing by replacing this defective radio? I also dealt with the battery issue from the time I drove it off the lot. A brand new truck that's dead every morning when you go outside....REALLY!? After several visits, it took them two years and 24,000 miles to finally say "Hey, we're sorry, the batteries they initially put in these trucks are defective, so you need a new a battery". It's worked fine ever since. I also took it in for the heated windshield washer fluid recall, and instead of fixing it, they just disconnected it. I was like WTF, I PAID FOR THAT FEATURE!! I've wanted to be a Chevy guy for years, and now that I am I wish I'd stuck with Ford.
    I was blessed and I am still be under the extended warranty I purchased with my truck. The dealer told me all my speakers where shorted out. Paid my $100 deductible and they replaced all the door speakers. This fixed the problem. Good luck to you and thank you for your service to our country.
  • R_ShoemakerR_Shoemaker Member Posts: 1
    dsmith093 said:

When I went to start my vehicle this morning it barely turned over because the batter didn't have enough juice and when this happened the display went out on the radio. When I hit the tune button the time will pop up but then it just goes back out. I am able to eject cds and insert them into the player so it has power but it won't turn on. I tried unplugging the back of it but thought my there is a way to reset it??????? Someone please help!!!!!

does anyone know the solution?
  • badchevy3badchevy3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 09 silverado and the factory radio will not play any stations it plays cds fine