Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Audio/Radio

Comments

• jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Have you tried removing the radio's fuse(s) to reset the system. Let them disconnected for at least 1-2 minute for the radio/XM receiver fully dead then put the fuse(s) back on. Battery connection/disconnection sometimes causes initialization problems. But they can help correcting the system as well

Good luck

jt
  • tlattatlatta Member Posts: 1
    cd player won't take in cd. Just clicks then displays check cd. Anyone got any fixes Thanks
  • samthecrewmansamthecrewman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sierra and the right side door speaker is driving me crazy. It is apparently cracked and needs replaced. Is there an easy way to access the speaker? Any help would be appreciated.
  • sanipasssanipass Member Posts: 10
    i want to swap out my factory head unit for an aftermarket mp3 player but although i have installed stereos before, my new truck seems to prove a little more challenging... i hear i need to bypass my original stereo and that it must remain in the truck for the computer to function? how will i get the stereo i want installed in my truck?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    A good car stereo shop charges around $125 to install a head unit. Might be money well spent. Pass-lock feature disables your stock head unit rendering it useless unless reinstalled on your truck. Makes it useless in case a thief steals it. Then again let them take the stock system.
    do you know if there is anyway i could do it myself... i mean, what do they do that is so special?
    is it true that the factory head unit has to stay in the truck in order for the computer to function correctly?
    The factory head unit can be removed and the bcm needs to be reprogrammed. From what I recall you need a wiring harness for the aftermarket stereo to plug into the GM harness and I think that's about it.
  • snickers1127snickers1127 Member Posts: 5
    what you will have to do and do it this way use a quick install harness you can buy anywhere hook the new stereos harness to the quick connect one and its just a matter of pluggin in and you will need to get a antenna wire extender about 5 bucks at walmart the the quick connect is around 15 the onboard computer runs the stock stereo it is all wired into the factory alarm system you will have to run 2 wires to the fuse box one fusethat is hot all the time and of course the other that only comes on with the key and also you will need a dash kit too cause when you remove the stock there will be a big whole you need to fill and again walmart has everything you need the kit is about 20 bucks and works with all makes and models and no you wont need to keep the stock stereo in the truck i dont have mine and my replacement in dash cd works flawlessly if you have any questions and want to make absolutely sure check with a local car stereo install shop they would be more then helpful if you have questions and there is no charge for a question i hope this helps oh by the way and to answer the prevous post you dont have to do anything with the onboard computer you will be bypassing it completely
    edited August 2016
    another thing you need to remember also when you do hook it up there will be no more door chimes and door buzzers anymore if you want that to happen then you will need to consult a stereo shop and have them install it but if it isnt going to be a loss to you then by all means go with the original plan and by pass the computer with the aftermarket let me know if i can be of assitance with this email me anytime [Email removed]
  • petgrepetgre Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody ever swapped out a radio/cassette deck for a cd player in a 94 chevrolet 1500 series pickup? Best Buy wants $100 just to install a new head unit in this truck because of the additional parts that are needed. Is it easy enough to do myself and get the unit from Crutchfield which includes everything (including mounting gear & wiring harness) or difficult enough to go ahead and let Best Buy do it. It's been 25 years since I put a new head unit in a vehicle.Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post.
    its actually quite easy but you will want to check with the dealership because certain yr models dont have a ignition or battery wire in the stereo harness since it runs thru the factory antitheft system but seeing as it is a 94 it might not have that problem but its quite easy to install all you have to do is go to walmart to the automotive dept and look for a quick connect harness color coded wires crimp them to the stereo harness and it just a matter of plugging in piece of cake
  • petgrepetgre Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply to my question. I don't think this truck has an anti theft system on it. It is a work truck that has a 4.3 v 6, automatic trans, a/c that still works,and an am/fm/cassette player with the cassette player in the middle of the dash and the radio controls by the drivers seat.That is what intimidates me about swapping this out myself. I just bought this truck off my step father with only 122,000 miles on it so I'm hoping this truck has alot of life left in it.
    ok well that makes it easy then all you will need to do is just get a dash kit cause aftermarket stereos are small compared to the hole a stock one has dash kits run about 20 bucks and the quick connect harness adapter is about 15 and you can get them at your local walmart but if you use the factory harness the steering wheel controls might not work though cause that is dont automatic thru the onboard computer i think dont qoute me on that though but if it dont work all you do is set the dash kit for your make model and yr it has layouts and instructions with pictures and it is very easy and once you connect the quick connect harness to your stereo its just a matter of plugging it in and clicking it into the kit and your done i dont even think you will need any tools except for taking out the retaining bolts for the radio the dash assembly should just snap off but if you arent sure check with the dealership
  • a68vettea68vette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Silverado with XM/AM/FM/CD, etc. I cannot seem to get any FM signals. I pre-tuned to my local frequencies and get noise with some hint of a station actually being there. Anyone have this issue, or know a solution. I haven't taken to dealer and compained. I would like to have some background on this before I talk to service so I can at least come off as knowledgeable. Any hep appreciated.

2008 Silverado 6.0 MAX 4X4 Extended LT2
  • 05sierratoy05sierratoy Member Posts: 1
    my radio got stolen out of my 05 sierra but when they stole it the connector stayed in the radio is there any way i can just wire another after market radio up with the wires that are there or will i need the connector?
  • nivensidnivensid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Sierrra with the slave CD Player and the Delco radio with the cassette player.. I just purchased the truck and everthing on the truck works at least I thought it did. When I try to insert a CD into the player it does not pull the CD into the player. It acts like it wants to eject the CD. I would think it would pull the CD into the player. I pushed the CD all the way in and nothing happened so I purchased another CD player that is guaranteed to work but I got the same results. I looked at the factory manual and I am at a loss. Can anyone with the same system give me some help on this. Am I doing something wrong???? :cry:
  • raleighfireraleighfire Member Posts: 2
    Do I have to remove the door panel to replace the speakers in the front doors of my 2000 Silverado?
    Yes
  • redefineredefine Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra and tried to install an after market radio in it, worked totally fine. Now I want to re-install my stock stereo and I've put it back in but it doesn't have any power. Is there some sort of reset button or something I need to do to get it to work? Any help would be great.
  • redefineredefine Member Posts: 2
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Have you tried re-setting the security code? If you never set one, and bought the truck new, you might get by with 0000 Check your manual for specifics. The radio flat won't work without.
  • es2009es2009 Member Posts: 3
    i have factory radio i need codes 2007 gmc sierre
    ihow do you reset radio :confuse:
    I would like to know how do you reset radio what buttoms to push to start reset
  • vhdvhd Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to over ride the system so that the DVD player will play on the riding screen while the truck is in drive..
    Agin this is a very important question so i can watch football while my wife is driving!!

Seirra Danali 2009
  • rjohn33566rjohn33566 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 GMC Sierra. The radio has recently been going into LOC mode on me for no reason while driving. I would input the code to unlock it, it'll play for a few minutes, then LOC up on me again. The radio hasn't lost any power recently, so I can't figure this one out.

Has anyone experienced this and may have an answer? My next possible solution would be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it to see if it resets the radio.

Thanks
  • alignerupalignerup Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a replacement stereo factory radio with 6 disc. changer and I need to now how to reprogram the codes, without taking it to a dealer, can anyone please help me to get codes out of old one, and how to put in new radio, Thank for any help!!
  • joekewjoekew Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have a 04 chevy silverado with just a basic am/fm radio in it I want to upgrade to a factory 6 disc cd changer I've already purchased one and its on the way, next question is I know how to get my old radio out but the new radio has 2 plugs 1 is a 22 pin which my old one has the other is a smaller black plug that I dont have do i need this? was kinda hoping it could just be for some kinda amp or something hah Can I just plug that 1 plug in and take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed and be done?

Thanks for any help!
  • palmer7palmer7 Member Posts: 2
    how did you go about taking your stock radio out? i have a 2009 sierra and just dont wanna mess anything up, thanks.
  • palmer7palmer7 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 09 sierra extended cab sle. I was wondering how to go about taking the stock radio out so that i could reach the back of it. Any advice? thanks.
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
    My 2003 1500hd has XM but I want to upgrade to a radio with bluetooth and nav-ready. What I didn't know is, my local radio stores are telling me that the steering controls and XM antenna has to be replaced/converted. Does anyone know of a possible brand that I can upgrade to without changing all this stuff over or am I dummed? Hell, that another 300.00 on top of the cost of a new radio!

:mad:
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
    Is there a kit to add hands-free capibility to my factory 2003 GMC XM/Onstar/bose radio? New radios are bluetooth ready, but I would like to add this feature if there was a kit.
  • m_samplem_sample Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 silverado 3500 ext cab with stock delco and i run a 4000 watt lanzar pro max amp pushing 2 15" high exscursen excite subs running @ 2omh 1650 watts ea. rms i used a passive eq with x-bass sub outs with a slide control to adjust sub levels. and im running a old la sound 1000 watt amp. to my excite componet set and it sounds awsome hits hard and deep mids and high perfect. nothing wrong with delco radio's this is my 4th system to build useing them +++++++++
  • ihategmanymoreihategmanymore Member Posts: 6
    yes slighty push in park brake till dvd player starts working
  • jwttitze80912jwttitze80912 Member Posts: 4
    so on my 05 sierra i put a cd in the player and it seems to not recognize it. when i firdt got it (used) i put one in and it spit it out, stuck it back in and it played. but recently not the case. Anybody know why is the eye dirty?
    Cleaning a 5 year old CD player would be a good start.
  • blimpyblimpy Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    I had a NAV radio installed in my 2008 Sierra and I would like to install the factory sierra radio into my 2007 Lacrosse. The Sierra factory radio has XM which I don't need, it also has the MP3 port which I do need. The Lacrosse does not have XM which I don't need. Both vehicles have Onstar, the current Lacrosse radio is a OEM cheapy CD. Not sure I want to tear into the Lacrosse without more info and some direction.

Any experiences?

bumpy
  • roadkingzzroadkingzz Member Posts: 1
    Very easy. The plastic trim panel around your radio and A/C controls pops out. Use a plastic pry bar or plastic spreader knife to get in and pop it loose. Take out the four 7mm bolts to get the radio out.

I just replaced the standard AM/FM radio in my 2010 Sierra Work Truck with a unit of of an '09 Denali with CD player and XM ready. Plugged it in -- it works perfectly. Don't be afraid. This is really easy stuff.
    The plug for the Bose headunit out of the Denali plugs into the non-Bose plug in your truck?
  • limegreenbrutelimegreenbrute Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 sierra does the cd player have rca jacks on the back of it so I can run cables from there to an amplifier or do I have to change my cd player to an aftermarket type?
  • thegoat5thegoat5 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I have a question if anyone knows an answer I would really appreciate it. Stock 2008 GMC Sierra radio with xm and onstar: I had my Zune plugged in with an aux cord and I hit the cord at the stereo. I broke the aux port(the plastic around it and inside). The question is, do I need to replace the whole stereo or is there a replacement for the aux port inside the radio? Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    limegreenbrute,
    Can you email me your question and VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dirtyboydirtyboy Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    There is something wrong with my CD palyer, I think. When I press and hold the FF button it doesn't fast forward as it should. It just kind of skipping frame by frame, a bit faster than normal speed. It is far from fast forwarding. It is not the same as in any other GM vehicle I have had.

My truck is still under the warranty. Service department looked at it and they said that it just may be the way how they designed this particular (6-disk) CD palyer. I don't think this is the case. I have had several GM vehicles and none of them have had this kind of problem.

Is there anybody who has GMC Sierra HD 2008? Please, let me know if you are experiencing similar problems or not.

Thanks, Tim
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi Tim,

Could you please email me your VIN so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks,
    Laura
    GM Customer Service
  • ste8lursfanste8lursfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 SLE1 w/ AM/FM/CD/MP3 format and speakers are going in and out. What I mean by that is when vehicle is cold it will only play out of the top dash speaker w/tweet sound only. When vehicle is warm to hot (to the touch) all speakers will play.
    Additionally, the door open warning chime is at a very very low audible sound. How do I fix???
  • xxxmilesxxxxxxmilesxxx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a JVC DVD reciever+navigation, 2 subs, 4 door speakers, and I have two four channel amps. My main question is...on my stereo itself what do I have to connect my ACC up to? I know im supposed to hook it to the fuze box but is there a shorter easier route? Also, the blue cable for Power Antenna...do I have to hook that up if my antenna is always up? The light green cable supposed to hook to the parking break, I know i can ground that to the other black ground. Will this mess it up?
  • dsmith093dsmith093 Member Posts: 1
    When I went to start my vehicle this morning it barely turned over because the batter didn't have enough juice and when this happened the display went out on the radio. When I hit the tune button the time will pop up but then it just goes back out. I am able to eject cds and insert them into the player so it has power but it won't turn on. I tried unplugging the back of it but thought my there is a way to reset it??????? Someone please help!!!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    In addition to considering a new battery, a few other factors to keep in mind include a possible tune-up (especially spark plugs/wires: I've experienced difficulty with my vehicle starting before due to this) or the alternator. Please don't consider this an official diagnosis, however. If you should decide to work at a General Motors dealership, send us an email with more information and we'd be happy to assist in the process.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tread184tread184 Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same issue, since the cold weather hit my speakers wont play..only my tweeters. really hoping there is a quick fix