Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    If you have the tickets where they checked the problem, you have a good case for getting a settlement. I would first find a top notch mechanic and see if he can isolate the problem. Once you can locate the problem, get an estimate of the repair. Then get on the line to DC and let them know that its repair or sue.
  • i_snyderi_snyder Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for responding!
    I have all of the paper work of when the D was taken into the dealer. All of that info. has been submited to the the company that handles the Arbitration. I have contacted the #1 lemon law Attorney in my area and he is charging $500 just to hear my case and then $2,500 if he thinks this is a good case. Does this sound reasonable? I have never delt with an Attorney before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Many attorneys will give you a free or cheap initial consultation. Then they'll quote you what the case should cost based on what your personal situation is. You may want to ask around some more or ask the local lawyer referral service to give you a few names to contact.

Any lawyers here think $500 "just to hear the case" is reasonable?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mm6759mm6759 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Durango and I'm looking for some really neat/cool floor mats for it. I don't want the average plan floor mats with nothing on them.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions where I might find some? Thanks
  • glock40glock40 Member Posts: 8
    First I was wondering if any knows if its common when turning the wheel all the way to the left or right and hearing a snapping or cracking type sound from the front end when making the sharp turn.. Is that normal? What could be the cause?

Second I was thinking about upgrading from 16" rims to 17" or 20". Will that improve my ride?What are the benefits or problems with doing so.

Also how can I improve my fuel mpg? I have a 4.7 that gets an 12.8 avg. Suggestions beside laying off the gas and speed!
  • ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    The best way is to increase the amount of air to the system/engine. An intake and perhaps a catback system are in order. www.intenseperformance is great for intakes and your muffler choice should be IMHO a Flowmaster or Dynomax muffler. Look around and see if you have some muff. shops in your area to judge in person the exhaust side. Your mileage may decrease however due to the fact that these mod's will increase your inability to keep your foot out of it.
    I believe your problem is with oil sludging. If you have the 5.2 liter engine then you should definitely look into this. There are many complaints with that engine and some have won arbitration due to this fact. Chryco will try to deny it but look at www.durangoclub.com and you will find more answers there. There is also a problem with the intake manifold gasket coming loose. Check this also. Even though there are many that have absolutely no problems with our D's this is one with that engine that Chryco must address.
  • i_snyderi_snyder Member Posts: 3
    They had thought that it was my intake manifold but both dealers checked it and said it was fine. If it was the oil sludging, how would I be able to tell. I have my oil changed every 3,000 miles and no one has told me that the oil looks bad.

I will try www.durangoclub.com for more info. and keep everyone interested up to date.
    Well one way I have heard is to take something like a popsicle stick or a tool similar in shape and take off the breather hose on the valve cover. Try to do a light scrape on the inside and see what comes out on the stick. If it is dry and granular like, you have sludge. It could be in the lower galleries though. Have the shop pull your valve covers also and see what is on the inside of them as well as the inside of the oil pan when they drain the oil.
  • nivek2univek2u Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Has anyone ever had air problems with there durango? I have a 2000 dodge durango with continuous air problems the dealer has replace the compressor at least 8 times. The air temperature coming out of the left front vent is about 65-75 degrees. They have installed larger fans in the engine compartment in hopes that this would solve the problem. They have at one point replaced the whole air system. Hoping some one might have had the same problem and figured out what was going on.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I've got a 2000 DD also and the only problems I've ever had with the A/C is that the vents that serve the rear are at a radically different temperature than what I have the settings at.

On another note, I just got my truck back after having to have the rear differential reconstructed and both upper and lower ball joints on the front replaced. From what my mechanic has told me, the ball joint thing is a problem with the Durango. The differential was a disappointment and surprise since I don't tow anything and rarely carry anything heavy enough to tax the thing. I've had the truck 18 months and it has been in the shop for almost 3 of them.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Sorry to hear about your problem with the rear end. I just had mine serviced with 63,000 on it. Oil, power steering flush, rotation and an alignment. I have no bad things to report after my mechanic checked her all out. I synthed my diff's early in her life with Mobil1 synth and have had no problems. It is about time I get rid of the Badyears. It looks like they are DRYROTTING aroung the blocks. I could not believe it when I saw it. I am going to replace with Yokohama Geolander AT+II's. I have a friend that swears by them.
    I really enjoy the truck so the time spent in the shop is a disappointment. My tires are doing the same thing. I really, really hate those tires. I understand that they're wide, but because the sipes don't go all the way down you hydroplane on water and float on snow. I went to the Durango club website to find out about tires, but was frustrated with the format/layout. Let me know what you think about the Yoko's. I'm open for suggestions on this one and I'm considering almost more of a passenger tire rather than an all-terrain tire because of the use I need.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    You may want to look around the ever popular Tires, tires, tires discussion too.

Steve
    Host
    Thanks for the post. I have the thread bookmarked and read it everyday. I've asked that question a couple of times a long time ago and didn't want to sound like I was "going fishing" for more suggestions.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Actually I skimmed over the post title and was thinking Ywilson would be interested in the tires board, but directed that message at you. I do remember seeing you over there :-)

Steve
    Host
  • pmcee44pmcee44 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a 2002 R/T. I'm from LA originally and grew up with throaty sounding hot rods for several years (never mind how many !!). The R/T is a very cool looking/sounding SUV and the pricing is better than my other choice (Yukon/Tahoe). Incentives are good and a 7yr/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty is now available for no extra $$$. Yeah - they are not the same size, but I have only one child and don't need the biggest vehicle. Like others, I am concerned about quality issues with the Durango - I don't read nearly as much negative stuff regarding the GMC products.

Anybody have 2 cents' worth of advice - I'm coming off a 1999 BMW Coupe lease, so I am changing my vehicle perspective considerably.............:-)

Thanks !!!
    The Durango is a nice vehicle as long as you remember that it is a truck (and especially not a BMW coupe :) ). I've had worse than bad luck with repairs on mine, so I won't go there. Don't get the 5.9L (I don't think it's available anymore). It's a pig on gas and performance isn't any better unless you're pulling the QE2. I really like the size and the added convenience of the third row seat.

I would suggest you get the rear A/C unit (one just doesn't seem to be enough for the rear on really hot days), as big of brakes with ABS that are available (mine is short on brakes often, it's a big and heavy truck), third row seat (your child will thank you so they can invite ALL of their friends), 4.6L engine (good performance with far better gas mileage)and replace the OE tires (the Goodyears are absolutely awful for traction, hydroplaning and ride). I hope this helps and good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    I have a 2000 with the 4.7. I have just turned 63,000 miles with absolutely no problems to report. DC stopped making the 5.2 engine not the 5.9. The 5.9 is in the R/T and as an option on other models. If I were looking for another D I would definitely go with the 4.7. I don,t know how you like the total options but I got mine with not alot of them. To me it is just another way to jack up the price for something I really don't need. I like utility. It seems that alot of options is just something else to break and fix down the road. As for tires I will let you know. I went to the Tire Rack web site and they have a good selection with excellent prices from what I have seen. I think I will burn down these Badyears until the Fall and then exchange them. I don't do alot of 4 wheelin but when I do Ilike to have much fun. I hope we get alot of snow this year/winter.
    No, I do have the 5.9L Magnum. I checked the window sticker and on the vehicle itself. I'm also going to probably run my tires through the summer, but I'm going to look for somebody to cut in some sipes to help the hydroplaning.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • caddreamcaddream Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Living in a mountain area, I am considering to buy a SUV. I do not need a truck for towing, but it should be capable in bad weather, snow and reasonable off road excursions. Of course there are all the nice Japanese and German SUVs (very expensive) as well as Explorers and Jeeps, however, I somehow fell in love with the D and would go for a SLT or SLT+, FT4WD. I just wonder if I should by a very good used one, say a 2001 model, or brand new one.

There are no official dealerships in Europe but only workshops that do direct imports from the US, I wonder if somebody could explain the advantages or disadvantage of some options one can choose when ordering:

- Transfer case: ?Part time shift on the fly? or ?electronic full time on the fly?
    - Rear axle ratio: 3.55 or 3.92
    - Limited slip differential (does it make
    sense on a FT4WD?

Also, I understood from some postings that Goodyear tires are not a real hit on the D. Is this true for all Goodyear tires? The Durangos I have seen here had the Wrangler RT/S on.
    Could anybody make out a difference between the new 5 speed automatic and the older 4 speed? How good are the head lamps and do they need some pep up (I used to own a Seville, wonderful car but the head lamps were more than lousy).
    Does anybody know when the 2003 model will be available and what will be the changes to the 2002?
    A lot of questions. Have tried to read through the postings and various sites but things are not 100pct clear. Thanks for your input
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I just read in the latest issue of Truck Trend magazine, that the next Durango, when it gets redesigned will have (in their words) a "HD IRS."

Bob
    This truck really will benefit from the upgrade. I'm curious to see what it will be like. Will it carry the family resemblance of the full size pick-ups or will it resemble the Powerwagon concept that made the rounds at the autoshows a couple years ago. Anybody have a clue?

caddream - If you need the size and can afford the gas (I'm assuming you're in Switzerland), yes I guess the D is a viable choice. It looks great, but because of the size, weight and (IMO) poor braking it can be very difficult in snow and rain. Either way, I would highly recommend getting rid of the OE tires.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    is that it will resemble the concept Power Wagon, which I think is great.

Bob
    For what it's worth, I just drove a new '03 Expedition today, with IRS. I could not believe how well this "truck" rode, and drove. It was simply amazing. I can only imagine how good the next-generation, IRS-equipped Durango will be. All I can say is—BRING IT ON!

Bob
  • acer34tacer34t Member Posts: 7
    I bought a durango in '98 with the 5.9 engine. 76K miles, and only one problem so far(driver electric seat).

By far the best vehicle I've owned.

12 mpg city, 15mpg highway (this is the same as my silverado p/u 6.0)
    Thanks for the advice. It really seems that Goodyear is not a good choice.
    However, regarding the poor breaking I am a bit puzzled. I checked some tests to compare the ratings of other cars (SUVs, Sedans etc). and found that in the latest comparison test (Mid-size SUVs) from Edmunds in the 60-to-0-mph breaking part, the D scored 128 ft just behind the best in this field, the new Explorer with 125 ft (which is not that much better) all others were worse.
    In comparison a 2001 Minivan test brought results between best Mazda MPV (128 ft)and worst Pontiac Montana (138 ft), a 2002 Sport Hatchbacks Test with much lighter vehicles showed Ford Focus (118 ft best and Honda Civic (129ft) worst.
    So, looking purely at figures the D's performance is not out of the world, admitting that rear drums aren't a high tech sign.
    Do you have 4 wheel ABS or only rear ABS, which could be an explanation for the difference in breaking performance, I definitely don't want to buy an unsafe car.

By the way what is IRS. and is there somewhere on the net a photo of the new D?
    IRS = independent rear suspension.

Steve
    Host
    I wish I had 4-wheel disks and ABS. I only have 2 wheel disks on the front and I believe that they are ABS not the rear drums (I could be wrong).

IMO, because of the height, size and weight with this type of brakes (2 wheel disks) you are at a disadvantage. You MAY be able to stop in a straight line in the same distance as some other vehicles, but I would be surprised. I also usually need to steer/turn while I'm braking hard to avoid a situation and this is where the size puts these brakes at a disadvantage. I know that rear brakes only help approximately 20% in braking, but when the vehicle weighs 4600 lbs and rides high, that 20% is huge. Don't get me wrong, I like my truck and just have to be aware of its limits when I drive. If I could choose again, I would get 4 wheel discs with full ABS.

WRT the powerbox, I found this on the web:

http://www.dodge.com/inside/concept_vehicles/power_box.html

One last thing, If you're concerned about safety find out if this has been corrected in the new D. In my truck the engine mounts were NOT designed to drop out in case of an accident. That means that in case of a full or mostly full front collision the engine will be pushed back into the passenger compartment instead of dropping off of the frame and sliding under the compartment. My understanding is that this is why the D didn't do as well as some other vehicles in the crash tests for front passengers. Good luck let us know what you choose to do and if you need anything else feel free to contact me or post here.

Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The performance of the Power Box sounds quiet impressive. However, I am a bit reserved on the availability of CNG at a regular pump station (at least here in Europe, except France) in the very near future and second (maybe I am getting old) looking at the photo of the Power Box, I would prefer the actual D over the Power Box as shown in the picture. But fuel and emission efficiency are strong argument and this may be the technology of the future.

Tomorrow, I'll see a dealer and test drive the car. I'll definitely ask about the engine mounts and whether the motor will drop out in an accident. I keep you updated about my impressions and my choice
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Good luck asking the dealer about any tech stuff. In all my 35 years of buying new cars I only found one salesman that knew more about the car I was buying than I did before I went in. Yes they all were MOPARS and the guy that knew more that me was the 5* that sold me my last car an 01 LHS. You probably have learned more on this one site than any salesman will know. If salesmen were sharp the would all be reading this site daily.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    My mother just borrowed her brother's DD, while her Kia Sportage is in the BODY Shop. Anyone here have this horrible case of the gas needle moving each time you push on the gas, and it not moving back? It just uses too much gas. The stupid computer up top says 26 City and 59 Highway. In reality, it's much lower. Is there something wrong? My uncle is laughing at us.

The gas we are FORCED to use is at Amoco Octane rating of 93, at $1.70 per Gallon here in the motor city.
    Gas mileage has always been an achilles heal of the D. That being said, there is NO requirement to be running premium in the 4.7 (unless your brother is making you as a cruel joke). :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • acer34tacer34t Member Posts: 7
    The only DD that requires premium is the R/T 5.9.
    Gas mileage on the Durango is about the same as a Chvy tahoe or any other V8 SUV.
    You should not be putting premium fuel in a 4.7 liter motor. It is designed to run on 87 octane (the cheap stuff) on purpose. If you have a slight pinging problem which has occurred fron time to time you can use 89 octane. This has usually cleared the problem. It has been said that using premium in that engine could also cause damage to the internals. Stick with the manufacturers recommendations and all should be well.
    I have done some catching up on this site. Good questions and answers. STEVE, I checked out some of the tires board but I went through alot of posts for smaller vehicles. I did not see alot for the SUV/mid to large size. As for me I will be getting new tires in the fall. It has been very dry here in MD and I don't really need to change over just yet. I have a question for all you D owners out there, what type of lubrication do you find works best for you? I am a synth man myself and have swapped every fluid for synth in my D. Mobil 1 all the way around with Amsoil oil filters. Love the stuff. Also if any of you have the infamous squeaking bushings in the front when you go over bumps, I use the Amsoil spray grease that has stopped all noises. No, I am not a dealer but when I find good products I like to pass them on to others. Yes, they cost a little more but for my peace of mind I will spend the extra bucks.
    Mine is a company truck and I don't put synth in it. Maybe if I owned it I would, but it's not my call. I've got the squeaky bushings and will pick up some of the spray grease that you're talking about. I'm assuming I can find it at just about any auto parts store.(?) I'm in the same boat for tires and will probably replace them slightly earlier than fall.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Sorry but it is not in stores. You have to order it from the website www.amsoil.com. They will be glad to assist you. Yeah, tires will be a must buy this year. I still will get my Yoko's though.
    out of the 4.7 motor.

biz.yahoo.com/ap/020613/daimlerchrysler_engine_2.html

This is the website I got from the Durango club. DC has been ablt to increase the fuel efficiency of it's 4.7 liter motor by 14%. They said it was only 200.00 worth of changes. If this is true I am getting that motor when it arrives or have mine modified. I love my D.
  • suffolkdsuffolkd Member Posts: 1
    Durango purchase a bust due to dealer antics

Dodge dealer some where near Peabody, MAss.
    So my wife picks out the used lease Durango (2000 34K) and on Sunday "purchases" the vehicle. After wading thru the layers of sales staff she is told to get it Friday. I drop off trade in Friday 10:AM and car isn't ready (dirty and other things)........
    Come to find out:
    1. When Saturday, I originally test drove the vehicle, a tire had a plug in the sidewall (Previous Owner?) So I told the sales kid who's dad work there too, unacceptable: replace it. So anticipating a switch I crawl under to check the spare - NEW so I -keep an eye on it-.
    When I return Friday the "new" tire is on the truck and the plugged tire is under in the spare location (GRRRRRRRRRRRR)
    2. Car is dirty. Appears only tire has been done. ohhhh but a new crack in the grill.
    3. Waiting in the showroom sales staff apologizes for the "come get it Friday" from a sales staffer because:
    At best the car will be ready @ 5:PM!
    But that is if the TITLE shows up in the mail!
    So I ask for a dealer plate for the July 4th weekend or a rental car. They do neither and strand us at 6:PM when the truck isn't ready.
    (trade in had bad motor)
    But they say we can have the truck if we take the plates off the trade in and apply them to the Truck..........
    Cool except then there is NO INSURANCE and what if the cops pull us over for a traffic stop?

Cash (financing) in hand and three days to get their act together. WHY DO THEY THINK CUSTOMERS ARE SO FLIP TOWARDS DEALERS??????????????

Get a clue. Another Durango? ......Hopefully for Chrysler, but talk about shaking our confidence in their products because WE have to deal with their dealer network..........
    -Scott in BOSTON

Today is Tuesday July 9 and the title is still not in. And we had to lean on them to do the $3000 deposit credit card refund. Plus we need to go back for a check for the other monies......
  • firefly6firefly6 Member Posts: 2
    I will soon be turning in my '99 Durango after a 39 month lease, so I'd like to offer some observations to anyone who is considering getting one of this vintage.
    Mine is an SLT "Plus" with the 5.2L, leather, third row seat, rear a/c.
    I don't go off-road or tow anything, I just load it up with 7 passengers occasionally.
    Overall, I am satisfied with the build quality.
    It's been reliable throughout the 32,000 miles I've driven it. The size of the vehicle is just right for my needs. It holds passengers comfortably, it's not a high climb into the seats, and the ride is civilized for a truck-based vehicle. While headroom is fine, the high "beltline" makes the windshield small. I have to duck down a bit to look up at the traffic light I've stopped at. The 2nd and 3rd row seats fold down nicely to make cargo space. As for gas mileage I get around 12 mpg in mixed driving (well, at least it takes regular). On the road I am impressed with its steering response. The steering setup in later models is different, but I think this one works fine. It has ABS only in the rear drums. I think that is the setup picked up from the Dakota. You see, Pick-ups have an empty or light payload most of the time, and without much weight over the rear wheels, there is a greater possibility of skidding in the rear. That's no good for a more evenly weighted SUV. 4 wheel ABS was an option. Anyway, the lack of ABS in front has the front wheels sliding over painted road stripes when stopping at a light or toll plaza even when it's dry. The Good Year tires that came with it are partly to blame. They might be fine off-road but have poor grip on pavement.
    Overall, I can't really complain about the truck. I chose it because it was the only reasonably sized SUV that offered third row seating. I didn't want to be seen in a minivan-but paid for that in gasoline. And I must admit it looks great. I am looking into the Honda Pilot as my next SUV. As I don't go off-road and am interested in safety and better fuel economy, it's really a better choice for me. The only deficiencies in the Pilot are a lack of heated outside mirrors, and having to remove the headrests from the 2nd and 3rd row seats to fold them down.
    Anyway, I hope these observations are helpful.
    that they can improve the gas mileage on the Durango by 25% for only $200. My question....what are they waiting for? I get a consistant 15 mpg and know that I'm not the only one who is disappointed with their mileage on this truck. Does anybody know if they are going to put these ideas into action? when?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • imgmoney27imgmoney27 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 DD SLT and the climate controls do not illuminate at night. I called the dealer and they said they didn't think they where supposed to, but when I bring it in for my first scheduled maintenence they will check it out. Any car I have owned they lit up at night. Also I would never take my DD to that dealer. Can I take my DD to any dodge dealer. Thanks for the help.
    I think it would be good to have all the D owners give Chryco a call and find this out. If it is such a big idea to announce it then why can't they put those "simple" changes in existing trucks? I am going to call and e-mail this evening. I'll let you know if I get any responses.

imgmoney27: Yes you can take your D to any Dodge dealer.
  • jpm121jpm121 Member Posts: 1
    img,

The climate control lights on the dash on our 2002 SLT (with 47 miles) do indeed light up. In fact, the climate control panels for the second and third seat rows also light up when the headlights are on. They're also tied into the dimmer switch.

Good luck....
  • fngrlkngoodfngrlkngood Member Posts: 1
    ok, got me curious...went and checked and mine light up (including rear)...purchased my DD 2002 (5.9L) SLT Thursday 7/18/02...went out Saturday night 7/20/02 and parked in a public garage under WolfgangPuck's (they have a great sushi "happy-hour") on the end slot of a row...later to discover a white van (or panel-truck) side-swiped my ride...white scrape mark on the front passenger side fender flare and another white scrape mark on the passenger mirror...ahhhh, the beauty of living in the city...as for synthetic oils I have been told that if you switch to this type it may void the warranty, unless you can unequivocably (sp?) prove you changed your oil EVERY 3000 miles...ok, enough said as I am going to leave the office now with my assistant in tow as she wants to go head-to-head against the DD with her new Liberty and being in CO it just wouldn't be right to not use that 4x4 as it was intended...

Peace & Chicken-Grease
  • dbolingdboling Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 02 durango a month ago and have had problems with the a/c from day one.the air just is not cold enough.it's been in the shop 4 times already and they can't find the problem.anyone else have this problem?
    The H-valve might need to be replaced. there have been problems in some D's with this. Have the dealer check that valve and see if it is functioning properly.
  • zxguruzxguru Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need some help! My 99 durango is burning 1 qt of oil every 4K miles and it isn't leaking or showing it from the exhaust tail pipe. I also don't smell burning oil! What gives? I have 48K miles and baby the truck... Any insight is appreciated. Please email stevepieczko@yahoo.com
  • mikenorthmikenorth Member Posts: 1
    Yes we also had a problem with 'not-so-cool' air conditioning. We brought it in for service (1 yr old, 16,000 miles) and they re-charged the a/c, adding dye to the system to check for leaks on the next service. We then drove 4,500 miles through Utah/Nevada/So. Cali and noticed only a slight deterioration in the cooling effect again, but noticeable enough. it was 115 degrees in Nevada!

We also asked them to check as to why the a/c intermittently switches on and off when the climate control setting is not set to max (recirc), but on fresh air a/c, only on the lowest fan setting. The dealer misunderstood our complaint and did not address the problem. We now notice that a/c does not function at all on the first fan speed (when not on MAX position).

And now a question. We experienced some transmission noise on the highway, which appeared to sound as if the transmission had down shifted, but it hadn't. Now we were travelling at high speed (80 mph) on the freeway at 106 degrees, so I expect this to be quite a load on the truck, but since returning home from vacation and travelling around town in cooler temps we are still experiencing the increased transmission noise. Has anyone else experienced this?
This discussion has been closed.