Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• jfris1964jfris1964 Member Posts: 3
    Where is the trans fuse located? The connector on the side of the trans had been messed with and the odometer works sporadically. Will the fuse cause that too?
    I'm glad to hear its not the tranny itself because I could rebuild the dang thing and still have the problem.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    What fuse are you blowing, clstr fuse 11 10 amp is trans and cluster.
  • asprin1asprin1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm driving a Chevy s10 2001 automatic. A while back (about 2 months) my gears were slipping, every time the car should have been shifting, it stayed in gear and no matter if i floored it, the car would barely go faster until it suddenly kicked into the next gear. I took it to a transmission shop, but somehow when I was talking to the worker, the battery came loose. It must have reset something, because when he took it for the test drive, the car was back to normal- no problems.

BUT, it just started doing it again today. What is the problem here? Can I just disconnect the battery and it will be fine for awhile or is there a bigger issue i should look at?
    I would try a new battery, sometimes they do weird thing to computers.
  • georgevikinggeorgeviking Member Posts: 2
    I changed the fork and bearing on my just bought 94 sonoma 2.2 5spd t-5 it just had a clutch and engine replaced when I bought it the fork is vibrating a bit sounds and feels like bearing is in contact with pressure plate dont understand why actuator also is spring loaded which would push fork forward a bit there is nothing to keep fork pulled back a bit to prevent this?? afraid I will burn up bearing as it is constantly spinning tried bleeding it no help noise goes away if I remove actuator while engine running and goes away if I rest foot on clutch pedal shifting is fine clutch is smooth what have I done wrong???? :cry:
  • therocker37therocker37 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 s10 truck 4 cylinder 5 speed, every now and then when i shift it into 4th gear it wants to pop out of gear, what could be the pro :confuse: blem? is it a easy fix? a part that needs replaced or something more serious?
  • georgevikinggeorgeviking Member Posts: 2
    your popping out of gear problem is caused by one of two things shifter adjustment or a worn slider, since this is not a muncie transmission It sounds like a worn slider which is an intergal part of the transmission it locks the gear onto the shaft so the transmission needs to be pulled apart and most likly you may need a few other things, sorry for the good news.
  • drew_budrdrew_budr Member Posts: 6
    try having the slave cylinder bled, it could also be a bad clutch cylinder or slave cylinder
    My best guess is the noise is coming from your front axle, my truck used to do this also. Try replacing the transfer case switch (it has 3 vaccum hoses coming out of it and is located all the way on top of the transfer case only costs about $15 at a parts store). If the noise continues it could be a number of things in the right front axle tube (this is where the 4wd engauges and disengauges). If this has been a problem for a long period of time i would say that it is a combination of both problems as my truck has proved. ;)
  • cajun52cajun52 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the speed sensor located ? need to plug in new speedometer cable . old one was unplugged before I bought it .
    I'm gonna be working on my friends 94 s10 zr2, problem is i'm not sure what kind of transmission it has. Somebody put an engine out of a 93 blazer in it and it seems to shift more like a 700r4 but it is supposed to have the 4l60e. My friend says when he drives, it shifts into overdrive but as soon as he pulls a hill it will start reving so he shifts it down to 3rd and when he hits a flat it will go back into overdrive without a problem. He wants to replace the transmission but is there any other solution to this problem (perhaps replacing a few parts).
  • jeffg123jeffg123 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 99 chevy s10 with a 2.2 engine and a 5-speed manual transmission. i was coming home and i shifted gears and i heard click click and i kicked it out of gear and pulled to the side of the road and the clutch feels different and when u put it in gear it dont move. it acts like its in neutral. wat could be wrong?
    if you have any idea text me at 3043737354 or IM me at ryan_garrett18@yahoo.com or jjjeffreyg123@aol.com
    got the codes off the transmission, i think its a 4l60e, the numbers are 8680517
  • dongar45dongar45 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 s-10 it wont lock into 4 wheel drive. i have checked the vacum switch under the battery and it is good. There is another vacum switch on the transfer case but don,t know where it is. if you can help i would be very grateful thank you
  • philip_ranphilip_ran Member Posts: 2
    its better to replace that part try to visit this site for chevy s10 parts
  • zardoz1114zardoz1114 Member Posts: 12
    This is a website for helping people !
    NOT for posting company spam !
    This guy (phillip ran) joined the forum and posted spam the same day.
  • philip_ranphilip_ran Member Posts: 2
    zardoz1114..do you think your post help this people?....Its not a spam it a listing of parts. Maybe your a spammer and your blaming it to other people..look at yourself first.
  • carpenter_mancarpenter_man Member Posts: 1
    I have a Chevy S10 1998. The automatic transmission has never been serviced. I pulled the pan and drained the fluid. I pulled out the filter and now I can't get the old filter cap out of the tranny. Anyone know a trick to this? I've tried a couple of different screw drivers, needle nosed vice grips, a razor knife to score it and I tried an awl with a hammer. The bugger is bashed up pretty good but still will not come out. I think there has to be a trick to this that I'm missing. Either that or 13 years has just welded it in place forever.
    Are you talking about the filter seal. Without a special tool I would cut into the seal shell with a file or hack saw blade, be careful not to cut into the housing.
    Slow and easy.
  • mjb10782mjb10782 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2000 S10 and just put in a rebuilt trans and shifter cable. Everything's put back together and new trans fluid too. Ran the fluid through the engine and put it in each gear, only to find it doesn't reverse!!! I was told that it's a reverse solenoid. Any advice?!
  • lzaldana1993lzaldana1993 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Chevy S10 with an Automatic transmission. Yesterday we went to the river and the transmission died on us. I was turning the truck around to pull off when suddenly the truck sounded like it was in neutral. I made sure to see if it was in gear and it was. I turnewd it off and then turned it on and put it into drive. It still sounded like it was in neutral and doesn't run at all. I have heard taht it's a shift linkage but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me, please? :confuse:
  • lzaldana1993lzaldana1993 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to say that it's a 2 wheel drive and 4 cyc. Thanks!
  • lindskaklindskak Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Sonoma with 170,000 kms on it. i ended up going through a puddle wich ended up being quite a bit deeper than i had expected. i got stuck and ended up with about 3 inches of water inside the cab. of course i had to get pulled out. i also sucked up water through my air intake and filled every cylinder with water. after pulling every plug, emptied and dried all of the cylinders. it took a bit but i eventually got it started again. i went to back out of the driveway and my reverse turned into a second neutral. i can push it back with it in reverse just as if it were in neutral.i pushed it into the road and put it in drive and it took off just as normal but then reved high before it would shift into second. i took it back home and turned it off and started again and it took two tries to get it started. i drained the tranny fluid and replaced the filter and it still does the same thing. i was about to get a new tranny when i started reading this forum. im not really sure what i should do. i can handle the rough starting and shifting into second but no reverse is driving me mad. if it is the sun shell, would u be able to tell me what it looks like and how to change it myself.
  • lindskaklindskak Member Posts: 2
    i have a 98 sonoma with a 4.3 i lost my reverse, its as if i have two neutral gears. and revs high then shifts real hard into second. still have origonal engine.
    Reverse is mechanical, most likely sun shell. Repair not for the timid. Google and you should come up with instructions.
  • woodossum1woodossum1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 gmc sonoma,4.3 v-6 auto trans.The truck does not shift out of 2nd. gear.Reverse,1st and 2nd gear are normal.No 3rd. or OD.Fluid level and condition is normal.Hoping for a reply from gonogo but any help appreciated,Thanks
    Been there, done that.
    I ended up getting a trans from Craigs list.
    My mpg started dropping, trans was trying to run in 2 gears at tge same time and wore out the bands above 2nd. Might as well bite the bullet and swap it out.
    I tried al the fixes I knew and I've been working on them 40+years.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    '95 4.3 4X4 AUTO.
    '95 2.2 2wd 5 speed
  • cbldgcbldg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 s10 and it is shifting rough what could that be it is an automatic transmission. I was told that I may need to replace the control solenoid. where is that located at and how hard is it to replace.
    Have it scanned. Other problems can cause hard shift, like a bad IAT sensor.
  • bleed1bleed1 Member Posts: 1
    what and where is the brake sensor?i have a 99s10 with same problem.can't find any thing.can anyone help? thanks- bleed1
  • montiguymontiguy Member Posts: 3
    my reverse went out on it and also the 1st gear went out was told it could be a fuse for the trans thet was blown but no idea where to look for it at ?anyone have/had the same problem what fixed it
    The sun shell is broken, did you hear a bang at anytime. Any transmission shop knows all about it, needs tear down.
    thanks gonogo, every transmission place i have talked to tells me its a rebuild but i dont have funds to rebuild it at the shop prices :cry:
    Yes, they don't like to do repairs. If it ever happens to mine, I can repair it, hope it lasts, 4 cylinder.
  • laszloklaszlok Member Posts: 2
    Transmission started acting funny, it was not shifting properly. I pulled over and checked fluid level and all was good. Started it up and had no reverse. I made it in to work but no 4th gear or reverse now. It has HIGH miles on it but had the fluid and filter changed 18months ago. Any help
    Read post #286.
  • laszloklaszlok Member Posts: 2
    Yes, this is it. Thanks for the help. With 288,500 on this almost 10 year old truck I think I wiull retire it.
    anyone know where i can buy the sun shell to repair my transmission :mad:
    Any transmission shop will sell you one , or google for online.
  • superchickensuperchicken Member Posts: 7
    Recently, my 99 S-10 2.2L auto transmission failed at 130,000 miles. It was not "fixable" and had to be completely rebuilt for +/- $1,500. Works great now, and still beats a $500/month payment (for several years) for a new truck. It was disapointing that it crapped out at only 130,000 miles. I'm hoping that the re-built tranny lasts at least a few years.
  • hernandez26hernandez26 Member Posts: 1
    got a question hope u guys can help..i have took the transmission off an s10 and left it hanging with four bolts on it for about six hrs...is the transmission going to have a problem with anything now...ps i didnt mean to leave it hanging i left it supported by a jack and the jack lowered by it self...
    No problem, your good to go.
  • ratfinkcamaroratfinkcamaro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 s10 2.2 auto, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse work, sort of. The gears don't slip the fluid level is fine but it won't shift on its own, you can shift it your self and it starts in the gear you select except 3rd. 3rd gear will only work if your above 20mph and drive doesnt work at all I was thinking the shift selenoids are bad but I'm not sure any feedback would be awesome
    Probably no power to the transmission, need to troubleshoot to find out why.
  • kpa1merkpa1mer Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    My son nas a 95 s-10 4.3 5 speed. When he takes off first gear is ok, but shifting to the other gears, the truck shudders, and he has hardly any power to the driveline. Me semi had the same issues but it was because the bolts on the bell housing was shearing from the motor, but his is fine. Can anyone help me to tell me if this is a clutch needing adjustment or will it need replaced. I got a haynes book, but didnt see anywhere to adjust the clutch, only replace it. Looking to just adjust the clutch, if possible before needing to replace it. Any ideas will be helpful. Checked trans fluid and it's ok as well.
    Sounds like he burnt the clutch out. Hyd clutch, no adjustments. Have fun,been there, done that.
  • tbird12tbird12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 sonoma 4.3L 4 wheel drive. I just bought from a guy who had it sitting, I have replaced the water pump, battery and altenator. the problem now is right after I got it registered and tagged--will not shift to 3rd and 4th gears (auto trans). I can start out in "D" and it will not go above 2nd. If I start out in 1 then got to 2 it is fine but when I put it in 3rd it is like it is in neutral. I can rev the motor and get it to engage briefly. fluid level is ok. any suggestions?
    edited February 2012
    Do you have reverse, if no, the sun shell is broken.
  • tbird12tbird12 Member Posts: 3
    I do have reverse 1st and 2nd gears