Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• rdystgordystgo Member Posts: 9
    i need to know if a 700r4 or other overdrive trans will work in a 93 chevy s10 4.3 it has a 4L60E trying to save same money. also need to know if thare are any major modafacation that will need to be made like cutting weldind and drive shaft mods. this is a exstinded cab truck 2 wheel drive. the coast of a replace ment trans is 1700 and im not made of money and the truck ant worth a 2000 dollare repair. thanks craig. i also have a set of 18s and 20s with tires if anyone want to buy them or trade for a good trans
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Best advice I can give is stick to what's in it, lot less headaches.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I second Mr. Gonogo’s advice. Even if they did interchange without major metal work, it gets complicated with all the electronics. . I don’t know if the two will interchange or not.

My neighbor is going through all the headaches on his old truck with changing out the original running gear with other.

Last year I had the trany overhauled on my S-10. I dropped it and put it back up myself to save a few bucks. The transmission shop charged me $550 to put an overhaul kit in it. By the time I got done I had around $600. in it and its been trouble free since.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it works out. :)
  • motorheadls1motorheadls1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 S10 with 200,000 miles. The tranny will go into gear and drive down the road about 3/4 mile until the tranny warms up and then it will not go any further. Once it cools off it will do the same thing again. Fluid level is fine and looks and smells clean, but I have not checked the filter yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    My guess would be internal leakage, the fluid leaks past most when hot and thin. If it was just the fluid overheating it would go into limp mode and keep going. If it is a 200K with no overhaul, it's time has come.
  • youghyough Member Posts: 7
    i need to know if anyone has had a problem with overheating in their trcuk i have lowerd my truck and everything but now iam having problems with overheating and i just need to know if you have any tricks or you know how to fix it
    well you see im not sure what it is because it is really is my cousins truck i know its a s10 and its lowerd and he needs to try to fix this or he is going to sell it and i dont want him to have to do that but know we rode in it up the highway and it gets overheated going faster like even at speed limit it overheats it even makes it hot to drive in the drivers seat do you know how to fix this?
    well you see im not sure what it is because it is really is my cousins truck i know its a s10 and its lowerd and he needs to try to fix this or he is going to sell it and i dont want him to have to do that but know we rode in it up the highway and it gets overheated going faster like even at speedy limit it overheats it even makes it hot to drive in the drivers seat do you know what i can do or how i can fix that ?
  • bradbb2005bradbb2005 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i am writing to ask about my clutch problem first. i recently bought a truck which had a new clutch put in, problem is when i push the clutch(sometimes) it is really hard to get it into first gear and when i try to get into reverse it will grind. i bled the slave cylinder and on other trucks i noticed you can tell at a certain point where the clutch is engaged but it isnt really noticeable on this one.

Also my 4 wheel drive is not working, i can shift it into low gear and it goes into low but front tires arent locked in.

BTW 1995 s10 4.3 TBI 5 speed
  • motorheadls1motorheadls1 Member Posts: 2
    If your truck is overheating when not moving my guess would be that the overheating problem is not linked to lowering the truck. If the fluid level is fine remove the radiator cap when it is cool and see if the water is circulating, if not your water pump may be the source of your problems. Another way to see if your water pump is the problem is when you free rev the truck at high RPM's does the temperature drop? My second guess would be the thermostat is sticking closed.
    :mad: ok guys how about a real helpful answer i took the tranny out of my s10 and went to putt a knew front pump in it . i took the tranny stud it up in a 5 gallon bucket removed the front pump bolts a tried to pull the pump out however the pump wont move at all i tapped it with rubber hammers even a ball pen hammer the freakin thing wont move a inch what the heck is the problem?
    Front pumps usually have some of the top holes tapped for a slide hammer. The ones I ran into that did not I tapped.
    yes this tranny does not have the threaded bolt holes for the slap hammer. im not your average dumb [non-permissible content removed]! i just dont do automatic transmission work nor do i work on junk like Chevy's was hoping someone would reply that had this problem before and tell me what they did to get it out. thanks anyway :mad:
    I do transmission work and I know how to get them apart, good luck pal.
    im not trying to be a dick just looking for some help i work on german cars and my 8 second mustang i hate chevys if it wasnt my old ladies i would not be workin on it.so if you know what the problem is why dont you tell me the fix? tranny man
    You did not do what I told you the first time, so go here.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/gonogo/190208.jpg

With your attitude you should not even be working on it. Transmission work take a patient cool head, you have neither.
  • cjvo77cjvo77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 sonoma, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual with a very loose shifter to where I bang my knuckles on the dash when I shift to third gear. any suggestions - this started about six months ago, also backup lights don't work - bulbs OK
    i dont have a attitude i just want some answers i have a puller and it wont pull it out thats what i am saying. Your not telling me anything i dont know already. i wanted to know if thare is something that is holding the pump in that alldata is not showing me.i work on fifty thousand dollar cars all day. i have a cool head and patients. just want answers. tranny man thanks craig
    Well if you work on $50K cars all day you sure don't need my help. Pull the pan and see what maybe holding the pump from coming out.
    You work on German stuff I assume, over engineered and over priced. I worked on Setra Motor Coaches, what a junk.
  • bigtex1234bigtex1234 Member Posts: 1
    last week when i was backing out of a parking space i heard a loud clunk and all of a sudden i had no reverse. i put it back in park and tried again and nothing in reverse just the motor reving i pusshed it out of the stall and put it in drive it moved in first but revvs reall high until it gains enough speed to get into third . ive tried to put it in second but it just stays in first and it wont go into overdive either .check the fluid and its still red and doesnt smell burnt and th check engine light is not on .any advise?
    Sorry, sun shell broken, common failure. Transmission needs to come out and apart to replace sun shell. If high time probably time for overhaul.
  • mlabargemlabarge Member Posts: 2
    Help! My son's '93 S10 with auto and 4.3liter is loosing major trans fluid and we cannot find where. Just recently lost 4 quarts in just 30 miles. It will do this off and on. You can drive it for days and not loose any, then all of a sudden, the whole bottom of the truck is coated. It does not leak when stopped and cold. Only seems to be once it is really warmed up and driving higher speeds. It is not foaming and is not coming out the filler tube. I removed the cover under the torque converter and it appears mostly dry around the converter and front seal. The top of the trans is dry and I checked the plastic vent hole on top and appears to be clear. It is also dry around the cooling lines. The fluid covers the entire bottom of the truck even coating the engine oil pan, all down the sides of the truck and all back along the exhaust and drive shaft. However, when you stop to look underneath, nothing is pouring out. Is is possible that it is building up so much pressure that it literally shoots out of the pan gasket and seals? If so, what would cause this? Any suggestions are appreciated before I need to take it to a tranny shop.
    put the truck on jack stands at four corners make sure it is secure so you can crawl around start the truck get it up to operating temp and then load it in gear and see where its coming from. if its on the oil pan check the cooler lines on the side of the pan they have a tendinse to rub and leak right thare. but it sound like you have a biger problem than that.
    I've heard in some extreme cases, the vacuum modulator can get bad enough to allow fluid to be drafted up the vacuum hose. But in those cases it was being sucked into the intake manifold. Just the same check out your modulator and see if the vacuum hose shows signs of fluid.

I would think the leak is forward of the transmission because of the fluid on the oil pan. Good luck. :)
  • stev358stev358 Member Posts: 3
    hi was just wondering if someone could help me out i have a 1988 chevy s10 4 cyl. 151 would like to find out if i could replace the trans with a 93 s10 173 .i know the trans mount is different but dont know a freinds got the 93 and said i could have it
  • stev358stev358 Member Posts: 3
    hi just wondering if any one could tell me if a 88 s 10 4 cyl. 151 standard trans will inter change with a 93 s10 standard? about all i know is the trans mount is differnt so help please
  • wincmartindalewincmartindale Member Posts: 4
    Ok so i have heard that the 2WD 5 speed trans always has a problem with the 2nd gear sincro if you race shift the trans. Both my friend with a 4 cyl 2wd 5 speed and myself with a 4.3 2wd 5 speed have that same problem. Just so everyone knows these transmissions suck for racing.
  • mlabargemlabarge Member Posts: 2
    Well after checking everything including flushing and checking the cooling lines, new filter and gasket, etc., it is definitely the front seal area. I got it warmed up to the point where fluid was coming out, put it on blocks and could easily see it was all over the front seal/torque converter area. With the miles on the truck (156K), I am taking it in to have new seals and if bad pump or converter will have that done also. Found local reputable trans mechanic who will do seal job for $275. I will keep you posted on what he finds.
  • jhill133jhill133 Member Posts: 5
    its a 93 s10 2.8 with a 5 speed and 1st thru 3rd gears are making a horrible noise like theres metal broke in the pan. i drive this truck 100 miles round trip a day. My question is could this be just low fluid and where the heck is the dipstick for the fluid. And what could be causing the noise of metal grinding thru those gears
  • flip69flip69 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 00 Z-R2 with the same problem, i was wandering what you found out about your clunk.
  • eugeneiiieugeneiii Member Posts: 3
    I have a similar problem...I own a 99 s-10 manual trans..
    when taking off from a stop light, pushing the clutch in and shifting into first then releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator about the moment the clutch is released I hear a loud "CLUNK" and things work fine though now after a few weeks of hearing this, I noticed this occurring similarly after second gear. still drives and operates fine just that disturbing noise. Any thoughts?
  • jake88jake88 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 S10 2.2L 5 speed manual trans. My truck has 130,000 miles on it. I am having some issues when down shifting. I'm changing the clutch, but haven't had any problems with the clutch. When I gear down, the transmission makes a, what sounds like a grinding sound, not only can you here it, but you can feel it in the stick. I've had two different dealership service departments drive the truck, and they feel there is definatly something wrong. ( Duhhh) But I'm just curious, does this sound like a sincro problem or something else?
  • richard66richard66 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a '93 sonoma 2.8 v6 and get grinding noise after shifting in gear 1 through 5. Is this a common problem? And if so, what could be the cause? I would appreciate any information anyone can give me. Thanks
  • arienarien Member Posts: 4
    My truck has begun "surging" between 40-50 mph. Feels like it's going in and out of overdrive. Mechanic does not know why. Trans fluid is fine. Any suggestions? Does not affect speedometer, and no engine codes.
  • wheels11wheels11 Member Posts: 1
    How does the rear of the front driveshaft unhook----95 sonoma 4x4??
  • philscbxphilscbx Member Posts: 33
    Sounds like a guy I know.
    1] There is no dipstick on any Manual Tranny in the last Century.
    2] I'll bet it's new tranny time.
    You can always cripple it over to a tranny shop to confirm.

But that's why they have fill plugs on trannys, and change out the fluid every 30,000 at the max.

All trannys produce shrapnel and all it's doing is mixing into all the bearings till they fall apart like rotten teeth.
  • philscbxphilscbx Member Posts: 33
    Have you ever changed the oil in the tranny?

If it's whining at all going through the gears, it's definitely low.

Clunking can come from several points, but at the point you mentioned, I would guess the pilot bearing that is press fit at the crank shaft supporting the input shaft of tranny.

This brass bushing or maybe a real bearing keeps the shaft centered and also is the main support for the clutch disc. The clutch disc if not perfectly centered will Chatter badly at first as it tries to center itself just as it's being clamped solid between the pressure plate and flywheel.

You can test this yourself with someone holding in on the clutch pedal and with inspection cover off see if you can move disc up or sideways. It should not.

Only cure is remove tranny.
    Good Luck
  • arienarien Member Posts: 4
    No reply to last message so I will try again. My truck has been "surging", feels like in and out of overdrive. Mostly b/w 40-50 mph, but now at other speeds. Had a diagnostic, trans is supposedly shifting fine. Told it was the TPS. It is sucking gas like crazy and is hesitating when I accel. HELP!! Any ideas?
  • jacodyjacody Member Posts: 1
    1996 Chevy S10 Regular Cab with 4.3 L V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. The truck has 78,000 miles and I just had the clutch, flywheel, clutch bearings and slave cylinder replaced. My question has to do with the manual gear shifter. Before it used to stay centered on 3rd and 4th gear when in neutral but after the clutch repair it just slops back and forth. I can’t seem to find a detailed schematic to see if a return spring was left off or what the problem might be. The mechanic said this was “normal” and didn’t see a problem. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks for the assistance.
  • heatherw2heatherw2 Member Posts: 1
    :shades: :shades: I just a 96 S10 2.2 liter 4l60E Overdrive Automatic. It had 82,000 miles in good condition. the shift seleonoids are bad only had 2nd and 3rd gear. I took the truck to the transmission shop, I had the transmission flushed, new fluid filter and seleonoids, the problem was fixed. Axp 1,000 miles later while I was driving in town it instantly downshifted into 1st like someone was putting the brakes, but only for 5-10 seconds. Then it seemed fine. The next morning I was driving to work, about 5 miles, and about the time I got to work it did it again. I seem to have all my gears, but it is doing it all the time now. I can not get up to speed, up to 20 mph. I was told that the automatic transmission behind the 4 cyclinders are prone to failure is there any truth to that, if it is bad and have to have it replaced, I don't want to have to worry about it failing early again.
    Take it to a good independent transmission shop and have them scan it with a transmission capable scanner. That will give you a better idea of what is going on.
    From what I have read the 4 fails about the same as the 6cyl.
    My 4 auto has only 53K, so I don't know how long mine will last.
  • jrfgrajrfgra Member Posts: 1
    I dont know! But my dad just gave me a 1998 S10 LS three weeks ago and the reverse gear slipped three or four times and went out yesterday, but still works fine otherwise. Any ideas let me know please? My friend said it could be the linkage and I could fix it, I have no idea about this.
  • r450rr2004r450rr2004 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, my problem with my transmission is this.. i have a 2000 gmc sonoma, 2.2. 2x4.. automatic... i will be cruising down the road in top gear(4th) .. and it will downshift into 3rd gear.. it will not shift back up. even if you floor it.. the only way i can get it to go back into 4th.. is to pull over and turn the ing, completely off, and turn it back on.. that will fix it momentarily. only for it to happen again about 15 mins later.. ive noticed it only happens on long trips. its ver irritatiing. after about an hour of freeway driving.. you cant just pull over and pull back out, u have to acutally turn the car off for it to be fixed.. also.. the service engine soon light is on, and its gives a code for the transmission.. does anyone have a clue as to whats causing this.. anyhelp will be greatly appreciated..
    I bet it will be PO 1870 slipping. The latest information I got on this malfunction are worn pump bushings. Earlier the fix was repaired or remanufactured valve body.
    The thing is to replace the worn pump bushings the transmission has to come out, the valve body can be done in place.
    You need to go to a good independent transmission shop, stay away from the chain shops, they just want to replace the complete unit.
  • r450rr2004r450rr2004 Member Posts: 2
    yea thats the code it was throwing.. so i dont need to pay for a complete rebuild? or about what would that run me $
    Can’t help on pricing, you could ask for an estimate from a good independent transmission shop. A repair can be done, but if high mileage they will recommend a rebuild.
    Help! I’m at my wits end. Did you ever see a tranny that throws all its codes at one time? It’s an automatic on a 97 S10, 4.3 with 90k on it. In our case it is intermittent. Sometimes it will allow you to clear all the codes and it runs beautiful. Then out of the blue is goes snafu and has all the codes you can mention on a tranny. I'm confident it’s an electrical thing. I pulled the pan, replaced the two solenoids to the tcc, and replaced the filter, fluid. All of which looked A OK. The bottom of the pan was clean; the fluid was bright red from where I changed it last year. When I put it back together and backed it out of the shop the light came on and still had all the codes it had before. Basically I wasted half a day not to mention the parts cost. What ever happened to good ole power-glides? If you have any suggestions on what magic does the trick please let us know? John :cry:
    Remove the large 20 pin plug into the transmission and see if it has transmission fluid in it. This has been an issue at times.
    Thanks for the reply. Actually the 20 pin plug you mentioned got changed out with the wiring harness that goes to one of the solenoids that I changed last week end. We pulled and inspected all the plugs to the PCM, fuses, associated wiring, all checked out. I think there's an open circuit somewhere. But it doesn't do it all the time. That's the frustrating part. :confuse: