Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    Just turned 94,000 on my 2K, 4.7, SLT. Still running strong and as reliable as ever. After owning VW'v and SAAB's, this truck runs circles around them as far as reliability goes. No problems and road ready!! Anyone else out there with Durango's care to comment good or bad about thier D's? Let's hear from some of you!!
  • steeler19steeler19 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 00 R/T and have a love/hate relationship with my truck. I have about 45k miles on it so its not a "high" mileage vehicle. I've had both front power window motors replaced and that's been it for major repairs so that's not too bad in 3 years. However what gets me is the cheap [non-permissible content removed] material quality. If I cough up 30+K for a car I expect the leather on the steering wheel not to flake off or the cheap plastic interior. The factory installed wheels didn't last very long, neither did the brakes. On the other hand being able to pass people on a hill while towing a big trailer full of crap is sweet :)
    I have had mine for 3 years and just about had 0 problems. I know what you mean by material quality. I think DC needs to do something about all the plastic they use. It does give a feeling of cheapness. I don't know why your wheels did not last unless you are referring to the tires. I had my Badyears for 65,000 before I switched to my Dunlop's. I still have them in my garage in case of an emergency. All 5. My 4.7 runs great. I think DC hit the nail on the head with this engine.
  • jaxon1jaxon1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 01 D about 2 months ago. Love it! BUT... I have this odd idle problem. Once it is warmed up it idle's low and rough around 500rpm on the tach when you come to a stop (IE stop light) if I place it in Neutral then back into Drive the idle is fine around 650rpm on the tach. It hasn't died and the check engine light hasn't come on but it is really irritating! I had it in to the dealer and the reprogrammed the PCM... The problem is still there. Any suggestions??? Has anyone else had something similar and how did it get fixed?
    You may need to have your TPS throttle position sensor changed. It is easy to do yourself. Do you know how to pull the codes? You turn off your D. You then turn the key from off to right before start 3 times. The codes will appear on your odometer. You can get them from Pep Boys for about $26.00. It should take all of 3 minutes to change out yourself. There is another idle sensor but I cannot remember what it is. You can go to

www.durangoclub.com

and they can help big time. Good luck!
  • jaxon1jaxon1 Member Posts: 2
    I pulled the codes and non were present. Shoul I change the sensor anyway? Should I take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it? I really don't like fighting wioth dealers. For one thing I was a service advisor in college and couldn'tr stand people that were like that. But I know if I take back they will tgell me that the computer said nothing was wrong and I know it shouldn't be doing what it is doing. let me know what you think.
  • rodericksrrodericksr Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2000 D that has about 25000 miles on it that we bought new and have had almost no problems with. Recently the blower switch on the rear overhead Ac unit has stopped working. I've looked for the voltage at the plug up there and haven't found it. I'm thinking fuse except all the fuses are good. Does anyone know where the wires for that switch come from?
    I would have the dealer change it if it is still under warranty. You could try just taking it off and cleaning it. I have heard that this works alot of the time. If not on both, just do it yourself. It does not seem difficult.
  • racerlady503racerlady503 Member Posts: 5
    Ok.... I'm new to the site, and a Dodge girl forever! I drive an 01 Stratus R/T, I drag race a 1967 Dodge Dart GT, I have a 02 1500 Ram w/4.7 and I'll be purchasing an 04 R/T Hemi Durango..... Anyways, I have been reading some really interesting things here on the site as far as questions regarding the 04 Durango. I am in Sales for a Dodge Dealership in Idaho. I read something about some people wanting to know the rebates. For states pretty close to Idaho, the rebate on 03 Durango's are $4500 off MSRP. We are offering $7500 off MSRP! Talk about a great deal eh? LOL
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

Your post looks uncomfortably like a sales pitch - which is not permitted by the rules. Please be more careful in the future! Thanks.

tidester, host
  • kendoughkendough Member Posts: 7
    Perhaps you would know when the new Durango is coming out. Any info?
  • racerlady503racerlady503 Member Posts: 5
    Tidester... not a sales pitch, just love the products!

kendough... The word that I am hearing is that they may be hitting the lots late fall. I hope it's soon! I am really looking foward to getting one! What I do know of them is pretty cool! I'm curious to see the actual size. They are about 15% bigger, which isn't much, but that's everywhere! It's supposed to be smaller than a Tahoe though.

carguy1234... The deductibe applies after the 3/36000 mile warranty is over. I believe it's $100. The fine print talks about what might not be covered. If you can't back up your maintenance history and something should go wrong, it may not be covered.

I'm looking at towing approximately 5-6000 lbs with it. I have never towed with a Durango though. How well do they do? I guess I'm curious how the 5.9 does. I'll be going with the Hemi though. I don't like the way the 4.7 tows in a 1/2 ton. Really feels like it has to work at it.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    The 7/70 is pretty straight forward. I sell at a C-J-D store. If you really have questions, stop buy a store and they will give you a copy of what is covered. Also, the new products come with a maintenance logbook. DaimlerChrysler wants customers to take that a little more seriously, but not necessarily at the dealership.
    I may be looking to get a new 2003. I am just about at 100,000 miles and may trade up.
  • HammertimeHammertime Member Posts: 14
    I've got the 5.9L and 3.92 axle ratio. It does a good job pulling my 5,500# RV. It has no problem holding 70 on the freeway although I do have to drop into 2nd gear on long 6% grades through mountain passes.
    Well my D just turned 100,000 miles this morning. I can report that before my extended warranty ran out I got the rear leaf springs replaced and got my front bushings done. They were starting to squeak like crazy! 4.7 liter motor is still running strong. I have enjoyed the truck completely and the way it is running i am going to try to get to 400,000 miles. A good diet of all synthetic fluids and good filters and regular tune ups and I think she will make it. Dodge makes an excellent product. MOPAR RULES !!!
  • ggottfriedsonggottfriedson Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. I'm looking at a 2000 Durango with a 5.2 litre engine. So far what I've read on this board - that engine is bad news. Does anyone have any info on this? Perhaps any good news about the engine?? Nice, nice rig - but worried at spending that much on a truck that may not go for long...I live in semi-rural Canada and Durangos are hard to find so I'm hoping for some good news here....
  • jmarinojmarino Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2000 SLT Plus 39,500 miles which we love. When the vehicle starts in reverse there is a noise from the rear wheels area like a winding sound , (low pitch reving noise)then when you put her in drive it starts again for a couple of seconds then goes away. It seems to be getting worse .This noise is in the rear and not from the engine. I realize it is hard to replicate the sound on a forum here but does anyone have a clue as to what it might be ? Thanks..
    I would stay away from the 5.2. It has known problems and DC has discontinued it. A 4.7 was my choice and I have not regretted it once. The 5.9 is pretty sturdy but it does drink more fuel. The 4.7 and the 5.9 are almost identical in HP and torque. The 4.7 drinks a tad less fuel. Choice is yours.
    Sounds like your ring and pinion gears need work. Keep an eye on this and have it checked as soon as possible. It could be expensive.
  • 34rod34rod Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to purchase a vehicle for towing a streetrod to car shows from the east coast to Colorado and back. Have been considering the 2001-2003 Durango since it's towing package seems to have greater a greater gross than the Ford Explorers and some Expeditions. (Locally used Expeditions are cheaper than Durango's). A friend has a similar car/trailer rig that he tows with an Astro van with a 4.3L V-6, so a minimun towing weight limit of 6500 lbs seems about right. Can I assume that the Durango with a 5.9L and a 3.92 rear will be the logical choice to meet my needs? Or is this a job for a bigger hauler like a full size or HD pickup? Any comments or insights would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Using an Astro for 6500 lbs sounds like trouble (the Astro is only rated for 5000 lbs) but the Durango w/ the 5.9 and 3.92 axle sounds do-able. I used a Ram 1500 with the same engine/axle to tow the same weight from Denver to NY. I'll say that the brakes were the critical point...we had little trouble hauling but braking was marginal. The trailer had surge brakes, of course.

I would say the Ram 1500 would be better than the Durango, and the 2500 better still, if that fits your other requirements and you plan to do this towing regularly.
  • 34rod34rod Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually the Astro is is rated at 6300 lbs, with the 4.3 vortex and tow pakage. Owner added heavy duty springs and special trailer features with electric brakes. He tows a 39 ford street rod to car shows from Fl to Ky. with no problem. We looked at a 2000 Durango SLT plus with a 5.9, very nice but have some questions about previous use. Mileage is real low (17k) for the age. For the same price we can get a 2000 Ram 2500 super cab with the V-10 engine. It has only 25K miles on it. I think this may be better for our needs. We will be towing a 1934 Ply street rod which weighs 3200 lbs, trailer will be less than 2k lbs. I also like the ride height of the Ram 2500.
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    I have been in love with the Durango since I saw pre-production model at the Detroit Auto Show. However, until the recent spate of rebates, they have always been out of my price range. I would be like most SUV owners in that I don't have anything to haul and there is a 99% chance that I would never go off the highway. I like the size. comfort, and cargo space of SUVs. My concern is insurance. I've always heard that it costs more to insure SUVs, but I'm wondering just how much more. I live in a low crime area, have a garage, a spotless driving record, excellent credit and am well into my 30's. Anyone have a ballpark figure on how much I might have to pay? I have a $1000 deductible on my sedan right now and pay about $1200 a year. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • sick_of_99_dsick_of_99_d Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 99 D NEW to be a 10 year/life vehicle. Loved the look and the power. 5.9L SLT with HD & Tow options, and 17 inch wheels/tires. Took the 100K extended warranty because dealer dropped interest rate and made the deal better than break even. Problems almost from the get go but dealer has been good to work with. Mysterious HUM from brakes/wheels from the start. Checked many times. No problems found. Still got the bothersome hum. 4WD been worked on. Water pump replaced. 1st battery exploded at 2 years. Not a covered item. Replaced battery again this week at just a tad over 2 years from first replacement. No explanation from dealer as to why batteries don't last. Computer diagnostics do not show any open/bad circuits or sensors. ABS sensor had to be replaced. Intermittent A/C problems. Blower blows thru defroster and floor vents instead of out the dash at times. Used to be periodic but getting more frequent now. Just had tranny replaced. Has recently developed the rear end whine and screaks in the front end others have mentioned. Power windows don't work off and on. Sometimes switches hit and sometimes not. Infinity CD sometimes has scrambled eggs for brains and songs sound like Klingon music. Fortunately no sludge but don't wanna find out about that the hard way! Been stranded twice in last month and had to call for tow assistance. Gas mileage has sucked from the get go. Sometimes I spend nearly $100/week at the pump. Thank goodness the dealer made a good offer on the extended warranty at purchase or I woulda just had the 3/36 and been out tons of money! Gonna trade before the extended warranty runs out.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I see my Astro tow capacity of 5000 lbs is a bit outdated, but I see only 5400 lbs as the maximum capacity with the tow package. The 4.3 vortex is the only engine offered, no?
    I know you have been hearing on the news about the ball joint issues with Durango's. Have those ball joints checked out!
  • guitarwiz007guitarwiz007 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know approximately when the new 2004 Durango's will be hitting the showroom's in the southwest? I am really interested in taking a look at these. Thanks for any info!
  • jtilljtill Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 99 Durango used in Dec. 2001 w/47,000 miles. It has been greatly reliable and my wife and I love it. Other than having the water pump replaced shortly after purchase and just recently replacing front brakes and rotors we have not had any problems until now however. I noticed my front tires starting to wear and took it to my local dealer. I was told my upper and lower ball joints (left & right), tie rod and tie rod ends are worn out. It only has 65,000 miles and I have confirmed this problem with a second opinion from a different dealer. A freind of mine recently told me of a program seen on CNN about the Durangos having these problems and even causing accidents in the severe cases and trying to get Dodge to recall these Durangos. My friend told me to call the customer service number and voice my complaint. Has anybody heard about Dodge having this problem and please give me more information.
  • hat5hat5 Member Posts: 1
    We have been planning on purchasing a used SUV (99-2000) and had my heart set on the Durango. Great looks and wanted the third seat, which I don't think any similar-size vehicle has. But now I hear horror stories about oil sludge causing drop in oil pressure and blown engines. Owners told it is lack of maintenance and having to pay $5000+ for new engines--even if they have the extra bumper-to-bumper warranty. Chrysler taking no responsibility. Anyone know about this?
  • jtilljtill Member Posts: 2
    I recieved some new information on the ball joint issue. There has been an investigation by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) that started 7-18-2003 to see if there should be a recall from the Chysler Corp. After a week there has been no decision as yet but was told if any work has been done to fix this problem to keep the receipts for reimbursment later should the NHTSA find for a recall.
    I called the Chrysler Recall Dept. ( 800-853-1403 ) to report and document my problem along with filling out a complaint form and faxing ( or mailing ) it to the NHTSA and encourage anybody who has this or had this problem to do the same.
    The NHTSA has a web site to check on the progress and file a comlaint( WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV )
  • mcangeymcangey Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone happen to know anything about rebate cycles (if there are any). I want to get the durango BEFORE july 31 because of the 4500 rebate. A dealer told me that because the 2004 are coming in fall, i should expect to see an equal or greater rebate next month if i wait. And this is coming for a dealer as i stood on his lot (saying i can wait). If anyone has any wisdom concerning this i would love it. (waiting a couple weeks to a month may help me, but i don't want to miss the rebate - it's so good) thnx
  • prairiemikeprairiemike Member Posts: 4
    After our 2K 4.7 SLT (51,275 miles) died on the freeway last Sunday, it was hauled to our regular repair shop. Monday they told me that the main computer had shorted out and was sizzled, and that a replacement had to be ordered from the dealership (the same one that I was trying to avoid in the first place). The shop received the brain box from the dealership Wednesday but didn't install it as they said it had a "dusty and fingerprinted used" appearance to it. After a new replacement was received Friday and installed, the shop discovered that when the computer went down, it took a couple of other control modules with it, most specifically, the transmission module. We pick the Durango up this Saturday morning and face a bill of about $1,500. Ugh!

I did a search on this board and could find no reference to similar problems such as this. Perhaps some of you esteemed Durango owners can tell me, is this an isolated incident, luck of the draw, or a common malady? Do I have any recourse with Chrysler? Seems like a pretty hefty problem to crop up at such low mileage.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    I drive a Durango, never had a problem like that. As far a recourse goes, you can always call and make your case, but I suspect that their biggest problem will be that one of the dealership techs did not get a chance to diag the problem. I also sell them and frequently quote a stat from Consumer Reports '01 Buyers Guide about electronics. They estimated that at that point about 28% of an MSRP was the cost os the electronics on a vehicle. Broad statement, I know. If you are going to keep it, go check out some warantee price (It sounds like you dont have one)
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    My Durango had a very similar problem a couple of years back. I don't remember the specifics of it, but the main wiring harness for the vehicle (not the engine) got fried. Along with it went a couple of computer modules. Like I said I don't remember the specifics, but I'll look it up and list it for you. Fortunately, mine happened while it was still under warranty. Dodge paid for the repairs, but not the rental car that I had to drive around in for 3 weeks because the parts were on perpetual back-order. I'll let you know.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • jmarinojmarino Member Posts: 19
    Looking at an SXT with the 5.9 L engine. Besides terrible gas mileage is there any thing I should know about this engine before I take the dive ?
  • tool3tool3 Member Posts: 3
    Replaced upper and lower ball joints ($761). Was made aware of a possible problem through reports I saw on the internet. There could be a recall for all Durangos since 1998 for the upper ball joints. Mine was described as "flirting with death".
  • tool3tool3 Member Posts: 3
    1998 Durango - Rear differential making a winding and griding sound. Gets louder as the vehicle goes faster. Getting checked this week. Has anyone experienced the same problem. By the way, I had to replace the water pump ($300).
  • prairiemikeprairiemike Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, those are the same items the shop manager mentioned when I asked him during our computer module fiasco a couple weeks ago what other troubles I could expect down the road from our Durango. Too bad, what I had thought would be a solid, dependable truck wagon is morphing into just another money pit POS. This was my first Chrysler product and most likely the last.
  • jc58jc58 Member Posts: 48
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2003 Durango SXT with 4WD and 3rd row seat. Can anyone tell me which engine is overall the best, 5.9 vs 4.7? Besides gas milage is there a big difference in power between the 2? Smoothness, etc? I will be hauling, at times 6-7 people around.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    The 4.7 is technologically more advanced and IMO more refined (ie smoother). From what I've heard it is just as quick and offers better gas mileage. Good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    I went with the 4.7 engine. They had a silver SLT with power seat&running boards that stickered for $33875 or so. Got it for $25,500 plus TTL. They also had low interest rate ( 4.49%for 72 months - Needed to keep the payment low) and 14 free oil changes in with the deal.

So far so good.
  • 66566656 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Durango. At 25K miles I had my first indication of low oil pressure when the gauge suddenly dropped to 0 on the interstate. I had the oil pump replaced. One year later, at 40K miles, the same problem occurred, only this time the dealer said I'd have to replace the engine due to oil sludge, at a cost of $5000. Although I have most of my receipts for oil changes, the replacement won't be covered by my extended warranty company. Before you even THINK of buying a Durango (or any Daimler- Chrysler car) do yourself a favor and Google "Durango sludge" or "Durango oil pressure". You'll be shocked at how many 100's of people have had this exact experience, and at how callously this is being handled by D-C and its dealerships.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What reason did the extended warranty company give you for denying your claim? How many receipts for oil changes were you missing?

Steve, Host
    I recently purchased a 03 Durango SLT with the 4.7 engine. A couple of times when the outside temp has finally dropped, I noticed when starting it up cold the engine is much louder, and does not upshift as quickly, which only lasts a short while and then quits. After that it is quiet and pulls smoothly. I had a 97 GMC conversion van with the 5.7 engine that did this same thing when cold. Is this normal for the Durango?
  • HammertimeHammertime Member Posts: 14
    A search on Google for the terms sludge and engine and wihout the words Dodge or Durango had about 49,000 hits.
  • singleshootersingleshooter Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango with a 5.9L V8 and a 4 speed auto trans.(848AA?) When I back out of my drive and put the truck in drive it starts off as if the brakes are locked. I think that it is starting in 3rd gear. If I put it in low and shift manually every thing seems to work fine. This may not be related but the brake light fuse keeps blowing. My "transmission specialist" says I need a new trans. I think I have some kind of an electrical problem. Can anyone give me some idea as to what the problem is?
  • kachel2kachel2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 01 durango slt 2wheel dr. I LOVE IT, however I wondered why the first owner got rid of it. I'M beginning to find out why. I noticed a whinning noise in the front part
    of the engine, almost like the sound the power steering makes when you turn it all the way to left or right. I've had the alternator, the power steering pump, the tensioner and the air compresser along with a new belt replaced. and the noise is still there, but of course it disapears when the dealership has it doing their diagnostic vodoo on it. there are no notices for recalls or anything of that nature. does any one know what the problem might be? she has 31000 miles on her and is still under warranty. the noise gets louder when the air conditioner is on and the noise changes when accelerating then the noise disapears at 40mph. the dealership says it's just the nature of the beast, I'm glad I have the infinity sound system, it helps drown out the noise.
    I posted a note a few days ago regarding the new Durango SLT 4x4 I bought. I indicated that every so often, upon start up the engine was very noisy and it just didn't want to accelerate. I didn't hear from anyone, but I just happened to find a site called carsurvey.com, where someone made a posting about a new SLT he bought that did the same thing. It turned out that even though the 4x4 indicator showed it was in 2wd, it was actually starting up in 4L, thus the reason for the loud noise and no pick-up. It sounds like the dealer eventually wanted to replace his tranny.

Had anyone else had this problem? If so, what did the deal do to fix? I only have 700 miles on it, but it has been doing it since a few days after I picked it up.
  • tonylatttonylatt Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to track down the user named 'mikenorth'. You posted something in 2002 and I am having a similar problem and I want to see if you resolved yours. Your profile is private so I can't find an email address. Did this problem start out as a winding noise when driving above 40 mph? I also have a 2000 Durango 5.9l engine with 36,395 miles on it and when I drive above 40 mph I get a strange winding noise. It didn't happen for the first two years but is happening now. I checked the oil pressure when it happens due to reported problems with oil pressure in similar year and mileage Durangos but it is okay. I am assuming that it is a transmission problem with it hunting for the correct gear but it could also be the engine, I guess. I am going to have a tranny guy check it out but any one have any other experiences or know what it is. I am ready to dump the truck anyway. I already had a power steering pump replaced and the transfer case was rebuilt due to a leak.
This discussion has been closed.