Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• jc58jc58 Member Posts: 48
    I noticed in the rear hatch and on the front doors there is plastic tape over what appears to be drain holes. Was this placed here for a reason, or should it have been removed when the Durango was prepped?

Also, I am hearing a thumping noise from the front right side......sounds almost like something loose under the car thumping at times....any ideas???

This is the first thing I have noticed on my 2003 I bought in August. 2,500 miles and no other problems.
  • diggydoc1diggydoc1 Member Posts: 22
    I drove an '04 Limited today with the Hemi. I loved it. Very tight and very quiet. The interior is very well done and I really liked the leather seats for support and comfort. I think the Hemi is almost a necessity because it didn't feel overly powerful, so I can only imagine the other V8 and esp. the V6 will feel a bit anemic motivating this big ride. I'm seriously considering this vehicle now.
  • snapshot7snapshot7 Member Posts: 15
    I've had a chance to test drive a Hemi powered Durango since my first drive in the regular V8.

The Hemi is an excellent engine and feels decent when propelling the Durango. I think it should be the standard since the regular V8 and the V6 feel a little under-powered in this truck.

The fit and finish in the Limited models is very good overall. There is plenty of room when compared to other Mid-Size SUV's like the 4Runner, Jeep Cherokee, and Chevy Trailblazer.

Unfortunetly since the Durango doesn't have an DVD-NAV option I can't really put it at the top of my list.

I'm also waiting to see how the vehicle holds up quality and reliability wise over an extended period of time.
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of a NAV system? I have no interest in a little display map in my car. Is it really all that useful and just how often? I suppose if you travel all the time, but even then, unless you are going to places you've never been.....can someone enlighten me?
    And what an EXPENSIVE option! Over a thousand on many vehicles! Stop at a gas station and buy a map. OK, someone who loves it, will you let me know?
  • lcphotoslcphotos Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased our new Bright White 2004 Durango SLT 4x4/AWD with the 5.7L Hemi on November 22nd, 2003. We left for a family vacation last Wednesday for Thanksgiving and traveled with 4 Adults and a rear end full of luggage and stuff. We traveled to the Mountains of North Carolina and encountered wind, rain and snow. The truck was fabulous! We traded in a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab SLT Plus 4x4 and are totally thrilled with the comfort and the quality that we experience on this vehicle. It drove great, road noise was minimal, engine noise barely noticeable at all. The Hemi should be a standard, since the truck is over 5000lbs and as an SUV, your going to load it up and it needs the extra power. Any questions, just ask..
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Diggy,

I think I've figured it out. You know what they say about men never asking for directions. Now they don't have to.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I noticed in the rear hatch and on the front doors there is plastic tape over what appears to be drain holes. Was this placed here for a reason, or should it have been removed when the Durango was prepped?

Also, I am hearing a thumping noise from the front right side......sounds almost like something loose under the car thumping at times....any ideas???
  • lynameslynames Member Posts: 1
    I can't say I'm surprised to find other people here that don't like the new style Durango. I have talked to other Durango owners in my area and they are also disappointed. I think it went from looking like a truck to a minivan. Does anyone know what address to send a complaint too?
  • wholebeanwholebean Member Posts: 3
    I was a doubter based on the comercials, but I took a look at one up close. The front and rear end styling is awesome. I was very sceptical but am now a convert. Plus all of the other major improvements make up for any percieved downgrade in styling. I am seriously considering trading in my 2000 Durango SLT 4x4 in for a 2004 Limited with the Hemi, but want to see the late availability options (wheels), and the options and improvements in next year's model (I bet they add the Nav/DVD). Any doubters should go check one out in person before they make their final decision.
  • raycusraycus Member Posts: 2
    New to this board -

I own a 2000 Durango SLT - love the styling Couple of observations-

1) Get the extended warranty (earlier e mail)- paid about 900 for mine (2 years - $50 deductible). Wait til almost end of warranty - since cost seems better - A couple of transmission or ball joint problems will make you glad you did - plus covers cost of rental car if dealer isn't generous.

2) Get service at dealer. Having maintainence rcords could be worth it's weight in gold if you have a problem and can't provide back up to regular scheduled maintainence(i.e. transmission fluid flush and fill).Usually you can get a 10% discount which puts you close to off brands.

3) Had problem with revving in sense that car would rev high and step through gears rather than smooth acceleration. Felt like driving in 2nd gear - problem was transmission valve body (also replaced clutch and fan) They explained that problem was with electrical wiring that came out of unit. Mechanical link was fine but then it would miscommunicate with computer. Drives fine now. Cost of about $650 was covered by insurance (see note 1)
  • raycusraycus Member Posts: 2
    Re: JC58 0

Have clear tape over what appear to be drain holes on all doors (not sure aboout hatch) - other are open (2000 SLT).

Just like you - always wondered why.

Ray
  • tvishtvish Member Posts: 6
    diggydoc1:

You know I thought the same thing too. Until I found myself & wife tooling around Orlando one weekend with my friend & his wife who own a Infiniti G35 with a NAV. OK so I had a map of Orlando, and I am pretty familiar with Orlando. So I should have no problems...right. However when it is raining and dark out and you just left Universal Studios, and everyone is interested in eating Thai food for a late dinner. Its pretty nice to just spend all of 40-50 seconds to just locate ALL or the NEAREST Thai restaurant in Orlando-Kissimee area. The restaurant we selected from the NAV also had a phone number. So I called them to find out their closing time, and then bingo just had the NAV figure out the best way to get there. Not the usual asking the restaurant owner how to get there - "yeah I know where International Blvd is, but do I take Exit 68 or 72?"

It took me a weekend to "get" this NAV thingy. I guess it's the same thing with any other new gadget I have run into in the last 20-25 years. From the Microwave Oven (but we already have an oven), to the VCR (why would you record shows), to the Internet (a fancy electronic diary/scrapbook - circa 1993), to the Cellphone (can't you wait till home to call); gadgets just amaze me.

I know now that I could not possibly go without NAV in my future cars. It's not about finding where you want to go far away where it excels, but actually it helps you learn your own hometown in a better light. It's not just a road map but a mobile Yellow Pages.

A NAV would have also been great while I sat in the middle of no where on I-75, while on the way home this Thanksgiving weekend. It would be great if I could have taken off on smaller rural roads and just have the NAV "re-route" me home on alternative roads.

I know the NAV is not for everyone, but I can see how it may also be a "deal-breaker" for others. For me the Deal Breaker for buying the 04 Durango is that it does not have some type of Stability/Anti-Skid device. It seems like a terrible omission for this size of vehicle.

Tej
    Tej,
    You make a strong argument for the NAV. I can't call myself CONVINCED, but I will have to admit to being SWAYED.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "Stability/Anti-Skid device"? The '04 Durango that I drove had all-wheel drive, anti-lock brakes AND traction control. What more do you need?
  • horseruninhorserunin Member Posts: 1
    Monday night I bought the above vehicle. I have 5 days from then to return for full refund. (I obviously bought it from Carmax) I Love it, and knew at the time that I was getting it for a really low price because I had shopped them some. Since then have found out that it is extremely low, so I am wondering just what besides the mileage is wrong with it? It does have high mileage (74k) but other than that, it is very clean and etc. I took it on a 400 mile trip and felt some of what raycus was saying about the reving fast thing, but other than that, and me getting a speeding ticket in it on the first day, its great. I did purchase an ext warranty thing so hopefully will be ok but what I really want to know is how to find someplace to have it completely checked out before the 5th day which will be this Friday. I don't have a "trusted" mechanic. I live in the Houston, Texas area. Any suggestions? Thank you!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I understand why you suspect something's wrong given the low price, but that could easily be the result of factors unrelated to the condition of the vehicle.

Since you purchased it used, Dodge no longer has an interest in urging you to keep it, but mechanics at a Dodge dealership are likely to be the most familiar with problems (and fixes) associated with the Durango. Unless you have any friends who frequent a particular Dodge dealership, or any other members are in the Houston area, you'll likely have to select at random.

Hopefully, you'll end up just enjoying the price and the ride!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Byron, what is the mileage you are getting with 5.7? And, how much paid - if not a secret?
  • golions7golions7 Member Posts: 5
    Test drove a 2001 SLT today and I'm considering purchase from an individual seller(original owner). 27,800 Miles & Excellent condition.

Some Features:
    All power,3rd Seat,F/R Air,Power/Heated seats,Leather,CD/Tape,ABS,Alarm,Running Boards,
    4.7 V8 & Roof Rack.

Seller is asking $15,500 which is less than trade-in per Edmunds and KBB. It's about $2,000 less than private price and much less than dealer prices. I've looked online and clearly this seller could have asked a lot more, so why didn't they? Uneducated?

I did a vehicle history check and it's fine and shows only one owner. No red flags.

This sounds too good! Is it or am I just freaking out because I can get this at a great price?
    Thanks for your opinions in advance.
    Future Durango Owner.
    diggydoc1:

By Stability or Anti-Skid device I mean something like what Ford calls "AdvanceTrac", what GM calls "StabiliTrak", Toyota calls it VSC (Vehicle Stability control), and Mercedes-Benz calls it ESP (Electronic Stability Program).

What's unique about this feature is that it can control oversteer (fishtail), and understeer (plow) of the vehicle. This is done when the system senses one or more wheels are losing traction and/or the steering response is not responding to the G-loading being experienced, and then induces brakes on individual Brake calipers on the appropriate wheels that have traction, to control the skid. This is especially helpful when you have an emergency lane change maneuver on the highway, where you have a quick left-right. The rear wheels have a very good chance of being "un-loaded", causing oversteer (fishtail), and possibly flip-over if encounter by a soft shoulder or tarmac drop-off. This effect is compounded by the fact that most trucks like the Durango weigh more than 4500 lbs. and have a higher center of gravity.

All-wheel drive, Anti-lock brakes and Traction Control will not help since they are more single plane traction devices and cannot manage skid. Actually Anti-lock system is utilized in a Stability System to pulse individual brakes. It's also misunderstood by most that AWD and Traction control can help your handling by "creating" more traction. Traction is created by your tires, and not by the drive mechanism. In a fast turn AWD vehicles will lose adhesion about the same time a RWD vehicle will, if on similar tires. However as the road starts straightening out again you can apply power earlier on AWD to launch faster out of the curve. But on the curve both are equal. AWD and Traction control are great at "optimizing" the traction (given tires) available, but not at creating traction.

I will go on record to say that Stability systems are the greatest safety devices to come into production since the Anti-lock brakes, and the 3-point seat belt. I would easily rather have the Stability control over AWD, or Traction control (unless I order the HEMI). And for the new Durango to not even offer it as an option, ESPECIALLY on a newly designed SUV is a poor marketing decision. Since Dodge could easily have gone into the Mercedes parts-bin to retrieve one without having to engineer one. It already has ABS, so the fundamental pieces are already there, they just need the Stability program to sit on top of the ABS. For note all Toyota SUV's, and the Nissan Armada come with it standard. Ford offers the AdvanceTrac as an option on its Explorer/Expedition. GM offers Stabilitrak on the larger Tahoe and Suburban.

I pride myself on my safe driving, and car control skills. I have a fair bit of experience in SCCA type Road, and Solo racing. So its not that I need a digital nanny to take care of me when I am on the road. However, my wife might drive the SUV, or my father, or whomever. Therefore I am willing to spend another $500 for that additional bit of capability. For Dodge to not offer it shows a callous approach to safety. Especially when a company like Toyota has Stability control as STANDARD on ALL of their SUVs. So which company do you think prides themselves on safety, and may possibly have designed their vehicles from the get go with safety built inside.

Tej
  • snapshot7snapshot7 Member Posts: 15
    I TOTALLY agree with what you've said tvish.

Add to this the fact that Side Curtain Airbags are NOT an option on the new Durango and you have to really wonder what Dodge was thinking when they designed this truck.

With no stability control system the vehicle is more likely to roll over, and with no side curtain airbags the occupants are more likely to sustain serious injuries.

This makes the Durango a rather poorly equipped SUV regarding safety equipment, when compared to the other trucks in the market.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Actually, side curtain airbags ARE available in the new Durango, and for all three rows of seating. In comparison, the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia only cover the first and second rows.

http://www.dodge.com/durango/safety.html?context=durango-index&am- p;type=left
    I appreciate the explanation for the stability systems. Now I wonder why Dodge is not offering it at this time? I'm guessing it's not their "callous approach to safety". I mean, these corporations are driven by profit and the market, so if it was easy for them to add and SO in demand, it would be a no-brainer option, so there must be some other reason (including "not easy to add", "not in demand" or others). I did look into VSC, but wanted to hear someone else's take on it. I test drove a 4Runner with it. Nice vehicle, but I couldn't get over the rotten egg smell with any hard acceleration, so the search continues. Thanks again.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    Stability control is acctually in very low demand in the United States. Only 6% of the vehicles sold in the United States have stability control.
    Yes...Demand is low. But statistically how many vehicles are offering Stability Control? 10%, 20%, 30%???

So if we were talking about a restaurant and we wanted to see how many people were ordering Cheesecake, wouldn't Cheesecake have to appear on the menu first?

The industry is doing a poor job of promoting Stability control. They are not demonstrating the capability as well as they did for Air Bags, and Anti-lock brakes in the past. Thus the poor market penetration. With light truck sales making up more than 50% of the total volume, it seems that promoting Stability Control, could curtail similar fiascos such as the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle.

Tej
    I recently have noticed a thumping sound from what sounds like the right front end when going over small bumps, such as when pulling into and out of the driveway.

I only have about 2,650 miles on my 2003 SLT 4x4, is this too soon for the infamous ball joint problem? Any other ideas?

Other than this no problems. I hope to add a cat back dual exhaust this spring, possibly with Dynomax turbo mufflers or Ultra Flows.

Which would you recommend?
  • thylantyrthylantyr Member Posts: 28
    NAV is cool, but not if it costs you thousands of dollars, for example, I think Nissan Armada tech pkg. cost $3.6k.

Electronic gadgets are cool, but only cool when
    the price is a few hundred dollars. /hehe
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Enter the 2004 Durango, an SUV that tries to straddle all the markets and seems to succeed"

First Drive: 2004 Dodge Durango

Steve, Host
  • jerentjerent Member Posts: 8
    Hello: I took my 2000 Durango into the dealership when my wife said it lost 'power'. I did the 3 clicks and a P700 code read out on the odometer. It drove fine for me after that and the dealership said it could not recreate the problem. Any ideas on what I should look for going forward? Has anyone seen or experienced problems associated with the P700 diagnostic code? I just dont want her to break down somewhere. Thank you.
  • mobinakhtarmobinakhtar Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Just bought a 2001 SLT with same features and 28,200 miles from the dealer (Archer Dodge) in houston, TX. Paid $14995 out the door for it. This model has Infinity audio system, running boards, leather, third seat dual A/C and zoning, 4.7L etc.

They were asking 17,500 for it (Sticker) and finally gave it to me for 15K while adjusting $500 in negative equity in a trade. So In actuality, they charged $14,500 for the truck. According to KBB.com -15,000 is the private aprty value for these trucks. Your guy is asking the book for the truck! try to negotiate a grand or two atleast. I would not have paid even 14K if I were not buying from a dealer. Besides, the previous owners turned out to be my neighbors across the street who purchased it new from the same dealership. They were kind enough to give me all the records etc. They also put new tires at 25K miles with 60K warrnty.

Keep in mind that these are old body style and will loose more value because people start noticing the new shape on the roads. I love this style Durango though and am very happy with my purchase because this is what carry;s my kids. i myself drive a GMC Envoy.

Finally - the price is Okay, not great at all. go to Kbb.com and enter all info for a private aprty purchase and enter good for condition. Excellent really applies to something with under 10K miles or in obsenely good condition with all records etc. and not evenaa scratch. Even then, I will use good condition, and you will see value to come out to 15K (unless its a 5.9 with 4x4) that brings it to 17K. Also keep in mind that 4x4 option is preselected in KBB.com and you have to disable it when calculating.

good Luck
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know if I can order a 2004 Limited 4WD Durango with NAV, DVD and Sirius? Some dealers are saying no way, others say no problem. I can't even find nav as an option anywhere. It's a must-have thing for me. Thanks.
    An 04 Limited 4WD w/ DVD and Sirius should be no problem, and I'm almost positive that the Nav is available as a dealer-installed accessory for about $1500 plus labor.
    recently have noticed a thumping sound from what sounds like the right front end when going over small bumps, such as when pulling into and out of the driveway.

I noticed when I push on the front right fender, there is a clunking/cracking sound from the front right.

I only have about 2,650 miles on my 2003 SLT 4x4, is this too soon for the infamous ball joint problem? Any other ideas?

Other than this no problems. I hope to add a cat back dual exhaust this spring, possibly with Dynomax turbo mufflers or Ultra Flows.

Which would you recommend?
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I remember that the car show version had an integrated Nav (as seen in some of the car mags too). I wonder why Dodge dropped it for the production version? Does Dodge typically hold things back, and them introduce them in the following years?
    Completed my purchase of a 2001 SLT(loaded) from a private party. KBB was $16.5 and Edmunds was $17.8 from private party sales. I paid $15,000 and the seller added $600 to complete the payoff to Chrysler. I feel pretty satisfied and look forward to driving the truck soon.

Mobinakhtar from Houston
    Sounds like you got a great deal from a dealer - congratulations on your 2001 SLT.
    I've read that the new Durango is selling very well, but I have yet to see one on the road here in northeast NJ. Are you seeing many around you? I passed by a Dodge dealer today, and found that the new Durango looks even better in person than it does in pictures!
  • ruskusruskus Member Posts: 3
    1) I was talking to my dealer today who is locating a new Durango for me. He said his most recent shipment will be delayed a few days for a recall fix of something. I didn't get a chance to ask what the problem is. Anyone else here of this?

2) My wife works for Chase Manhattan Bank which has an affinity program with Daimler Chrysler. We get a special program # and BAM, 1% under dealer invoice, no hassle, no fuss, no sleazy car salesman/manager stuff. Easiest shopping I've ever done for a car. They also let you use any rebates out there too. I get another $1000 off because I'm in a current Dodge lease. My 2004 loaded Limited with Hemi is going to cost less per month than my 2001 R/T. Awesome.

3) Anyone see CBS and Dan Rather on the ball joints on the Durangos and now Dakotas? Daimler Chrylser didn't come off very well. Hopefully this might put more pressure on them to take care of the problem.
    I took my 2003 D 4x4 to the dealer due to a thumping sound that appears to be coming from the right front. They claim they could not find anything, tried to say it was the stops you hit when you turn the wheel all the way....but the sound happens even when going straight and slow over small bumps. They said they checked all susp parts, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something else that could be loose that could be thumping against the bottom of the D?
    I took my 2003 D 4x4 to the dealer due to a thumping sound that appears to be coming from the right front. They claim they could not find anything, tried to say it was the stops you hit when you turn the wheel all the way....but the sound happens even when going straight and slow over small bumps. They said they checked all susp part, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something else that could be loose that could be thumping agianst the bottom of the D?
  • thoonthoon Member Posts: 74
    I have a 2001 Durango sport with 36,100 miles on it and for the last few weeks I noticed a pulsating sound coming from the front drivers wheel area. I even lifted the drivers side up on a jack and rotated the tires and it made the same noise. It sounds like maybe the brake rotor maybe warpped. Is this right or is it something else? Maybe dirty brake pads? The sound is really loud. If you just coast without pushing the gas or break, you can really hear the sound.
      Also, sometimes when I turn into a parking spot or hit a bump while turing, my car makes a loud popping sound from the front wheel area. Is it due to a bad upper ball joint?
  • trevor57trevor57 Member Posts: 18
    Happy Holidays everyone. Just test drove new Durango yesterday. Very nice ride! Very comfortable interior with power seats that actually bring you to a decent height. Side curtain airbags are an option, btw. Here is the downside.....those damn black door handles and mirror!! How in God's name can Chrysler "totally redesign" this truck and stick with the dumb black door handles. I saw new one's on the lot and there were already stains that you would have to scrub out. I know this may be petty, but when I asked the part dept guy if these could be replaced or painted, he just laughed and said, "You are the 6th person in the last two days who has asked me that!"...Next time, Chrysler should ask the public what they would like.....any thoughts on this?
  • durango04durango04 Member Posts: 3
    Ruskus....I bought the new 04 Durango HEMI on 11/03....very nice vehicle. The recall is for a capacitor on the instrument panel circuit board...could overheat and cause a dash fire. Will take an hour to repair. We have experienced a few inconveniences also...brake pedal creeks/squeeks...heater fan on high setting makes a clicking noise...dealer fixing today.

My only complaint and a question for other 04 Durango owners: The HEMI engine seems a little louder at idle than the 4.7 or other comparable V8's. It makes a rhythmic ticking sound. You can't hear it from inside the vehicle but you can from the outside. I have listened to 4 other 04 Durango HEMI's and they all sound the same, so it must be normal. Any suggestions on why the HEMI's idle is louder than most?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi,

Any reputable body shop should be able to properly prepare and paint the black door handles for you.

I have the black ones on my '03 Durango and actually prefer them. They are more durable and less prone to abuse over time. Painted handles tend to scratch and show more abuse than the black ones.

You could always get a black Durango and they wouldn't be as noticeable :)
  • rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    Car and Driver Feb 2004 edition gave the Durango a road test. The results were quite favorable.
  • jgillamjgillam Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my new 4x4 SLT Durango Dec. 31. I ordered it from the factory - it took a little over a month to get it done, but most of that was waiting for them to get it in line. Can you say "Hemi"!!!! Extremely smooth handling and ride. I live in rural Arkansas and I can say that it is far smoother than any other ride I tried. Plenty of power of course. By the way, I bought black so the door handle thing is not an issue. I will let you know how it goes as I put on the miles.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i agree with you guys...i've always thought that unpainted door handles and mirrors cheapen the vehicle's look. especially since that has been a well known cost saver...ie...put the unpainted ones on the lower priced models. well, putting unpainted door handles on the 40k bucks worth limited durango is silly!!
    I just bought a 2001 SLT 4.7 and drove it in snow (4")for the first time. I don't have my owners manual with me so what's the difference between 4W High and 4W Low? I had it in low and the rear was still slipping pretty good around corners.
    I talked with a shop that does customer exhausts and they indicated that their experience indicates there is not room to do a cat back dual exhuast system on the D. What is everyone's experience regarding this. They said they could add a customer muffler to the current set-up, or add the new muffler and add a 3" tail pipe. I looked at the current tail pipe and thought that was what the size was, but maybe it is only 2.5 inches?

I am looking to add a new muffler that will add a nice low sound, but not one that resonates into the interior. Can anyone suggest what muffler gives that nice idle note as well as a good low sound on acceleration, but does not become irritating inside the D?
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    golions7 - 4wd Hi is 4wd with the same gear ratios as 2wd. It should be used for normal street driving. 4Lo has lower gearing for extra torque for off-roading and the like. It will not improve your traction and should normally not be used for street driving. Snow tires will do a lot more for you.

Tom
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If sales are halted, I guess we won't be getting many posts in this new discussion:

KarenS "Dodge Durango: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" Jan 12, 2004 2:58pm

Steve, Host
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Also keep in mind that you should not drive faster than 25-30mph in 4WDLow...it isn't good for the drivetrain. 4WDLow is great for really deep snow. Several years ago, a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee we once owned made it through 2+ feet of snow with no problem with 4WDLow engaged.

4WDHigh is good for driving in light to moderate snow and can be used at any legal speed. I usually engage 4WDHigh when driving on completely snow covered roads. As soon as I reach main roads that have been treated I switch back into 2WD. If roads are dry or just wet, the 4WD can bind which would be a bad thing (unless you have a full-time 4WD system which doesn't "care" if the roads are slippery or not). If part-time 4WD systems do not have the chance to do at least some slipping they can bind.

Keep in mind, I tend to be more conservative with the 4WD system and use it only when absolutely necessary. I do not want to do anything that could cause undo wear or damage. You should use the system however you feel comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.