Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

If you had $500K to spend on cars, which would you buy?

highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
Hello:

I think most people , at some point or another, expressed that they have a dream vehicle(s). IT would be what they would want to drive and own if money were no object.

Here in America, the land of the free, home of the brave ( those who are willing to stand up to the flak and responsibilities of buying a car), the land where dreams sometimes do come true, dreaming is encouraged,

So let us now DREAM...and pretend for a moment that we have :
1- a willing spouse/parent/partner.
2- all other financial responsibilities like mortgage and retirement plan taken care of.
3- no kids to take care of...or kids already taken care of.
4- no other competing responsibility for your money.
5- Most important of all :: $500,000 to spend on one or more cars....

What would you buy ? What is your dream ?

Let us share this little Edmunds Heavens.... where your dream can come true in cyberspace. :-)

Comments

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    A new Ford GT. I would settle for an old GT40 but the new one would do just fine. Add a Bentley Continental GT or the Flying Spur. And for left overs maybe a Maserati Spyder GT with a F-1 transmission. I might have a little left over but what the heck, we are dreaming.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    This is a little difficult to answer given that some of my choices are classics and subject to a pretty wide price variation.

Here's my list:

1954 Hudson Hornet Convertible (twin-H power)
    2007 Audi TT
    1972 Ford Tornio given the full Chip Foose treatment
    2007 Ford F350 King Ranch
    2007 Jaguar XJR
    A left over Nextel Cup road racer for club racing.

That should do it.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    1986 Honda CRX Si
    1969 Triumph GT6+
    Series 1 Land Rover
    Early sixties Unimog
    Blower Bently
    Chrysler Crossfire
    Lamborghini Islero

I think that would tap me out.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well lets see.......

Mercedes CLS55
    Mercedes CL500 (outgoing model)
    Mercedes SL55
    Audi S8
    911 Carrera 4S

M
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    911 GT3
    Aston Martin DB9
    BMW M6
    BMW 335i coupe

And for daily drivers for the wife and I:

Mine - Infiniti FX45 loaded
    Hers - Redondo Red loaded Acura TL 6spd'er/NAV
    - My Honda Accords have been great too me, so I'd probably buy a couple of them as well. Especially a 6spd V6 Coupe/NAV.

I think I'd better get on that garage extension... :surprise:
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    25 Hyundais.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I ain't driving if I got that kind of dough.

probably riding around in a maybach.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    1994 Ferrari 512 TR :shades: $150,000 for a barely used mint copy ?

The rest I'd buy a Maybach and hire Fintail as my Chaeuffer :shades: "Fintail keep it under 130 mph" :P

Rocky
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    1. I'd find the most Pristine 1993-5 Toyota Supra Turbo 6-speed in the world! ($50k)

2. Evo ($30k)

3. Mini Cooper S ($25k)

4. Hemi Ram ($30k)

5. M5 6-speed ($75k)

6. Lexus RX400h ($50k)

7. Ford GT ($200k)

One for every day of the week. And the rest of the money goes to Pimpn' my Rides!

DrFill
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    is find a nice '66 Corvair sedan and convert it to an electric car. Next up, an R32 Skyline GXi sedan with a blacktop SR20DE swap, and finally a 1992 Honda NSX Type R. I'd also have to buy a cheap lot somewhere in Canada to register the latter pair (stupid US import regulations).
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    1. Basic Ford F250 crew cab truck and car hauler trailer (tow/work truck): $50k
    2. '66 Shelby GT350 clone set up for vintage racing (NOT a street car): $50k
    3. WCM Ultralite (1250# Lotus 7 clone with Honda S2000 drivetrain): $40k
    4. Ford GT: $150k
    5. Toyota Land Cruiser (wife wants one): $60k
    6. BMW Z4 M coupe (when it comes out): $55k
    7. Porsche 911 Convertible: $85k

Which adds up to $490k....... :shades:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    This also assumes I would have the garage space to park all my cars, right?

Seeing as many cars I like are <20K, I would have quite a few.

I'd have one of each generation S-class, some other fintails, a couple streamline cars like Airflow/Zephyr/Tatra etc, a few 50s and 60s American cars, a Brighton-era horseless carriage...and I should still have plenty of money left.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    What? No comment about being Rocky's hack? :P
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Doh I missed that

Well, if I've gotta be a hack, I guess a Maybach is a good way to go. Maybe it'll be a SWB and people will think it is mine...
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    42' Grand Banks Trawler/Cruiser

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Can i invest that 500K and buy a ~50K car every 2-3 years? Should get me some nice rides, considering trade-ins.

In that case, a boxster, then a 550i.

Otherwise:

2007 m5
    2007 911 turbo 'vert.
    Maybe a rx400(hybrid) for those few days a year i need an suv(since i'm rich). Don't know much about suv's though, so that one's a soft choice.

And a bunch of sensible vehicles for family/friends.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    with some nice 50's and 60's cars, but then enough "not-so-nice" 60's, 70's, and 80's cars that the neighbors would call the county on me :shades:
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Here in America, the land of the free, home of the brave

And all this time I thought Atlanta was the home of the Braves.

Anyway with $500K I would get

Jaguar XKR Convertible for the wife (wife loves Jags)

a STS-V for me

A Panoz just for fun

A Van, Maybe a caravan, for the Utility

An SUV, most likely a Jeep, for my trip to the artic.

with the rest maybe two or three prewar cars.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Shoot, I'd just go to Macungie or Carlisle on a shopping spree. However, I'd give the owners realistic offers on their rides - take it or leave it.

As for new cars - a Cadillac DTS and a Buick Lucerne CXS are a given.
    LOL lemko. how about a STS-V ? Buy the G/F a Escalade to park at the McMansion :P

Rocky
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    If practicality was no issue I would go for the Pagini Zonda F. If I actually wanted to get out of my driveway without causing a $100000 worth of damage then I'd settle for a Mercedes CLS 55 AMG and a TVR 350c.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I would only indulge myself in spending 500k on cars if I had a net worth over 25 million dollars.

And if I was that rich I would buy a Toyota Camry in order to keep a low profile to avoid any potential home invasions ,kidnappings, over-friendly family members and pretty faced gold diggers.
    I would only indulge myself in spending 500k on cars if I had a net worth over 25 million dollars.

And if I was that rich I would buy a Toyota Camry in order to keep a low profile to avoid any potential home invasions ,kidnappings, over-friendly family members and pretty faced gold diggers.

Shoot, if I were that rich, I'd still drive my old 1988 Buick Park Avenue for the same reasons and also to mess with the heads of my snooty neighbors and pretentious people at the country club.
    Ah yes messing with peoples heads, I actually saw a Yugo last week going down the road under its own power. I would buy that just to mess with their minds. ;)

that if one of my neighbors complained to the county about my cars, that I'd just make them an offer they couldn't refuse on their house, buy it, and tear it down! :P I guess if word got out about that, though, I'd have a ton of neighbors complaining, just to get bought out.

That's probably peeve off the county as well, since an empty lot doesn't provide nearly as much property tax base as a McMansion would.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    And all this time I thought Atlanta was the home of the Braves.

LoL.... :D

nice choices....

Good combo..you have a convertible, and sports sedan...a roadster exotic, van for utility , and jeep for harsh road conditions....
    Hi boaz...:

I like the Ford GT also. It has many of the styling of the old GT40 which is an icon to many.

LIke the Bentley and maserati choices too.
    Thats not what I would do. If I had that much money and my neighbors complained I would simply move and rent the house out at no charge to the worst that society has to offer.

"Hey, if you think I am bad wait to you see whose moving in next week." :P

Well I already have a sports sedan so I gotta get started on the rest ;)

• pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    Aston Martin Vanquish S V12

Then I'd take the remaining $240K and donate it to local battered children's causes.

Hey, you asked.......
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    1970 Chevelle Convertible $30k to take the kiddos to get ice cream....

2006 Audi A8 $84k To drive the parentals when they come to town....

2005/06 Panoz Because Dr. Panoz was nice enough to host an Audi Driving school at his Vinyard in GA. $60K (I think)

2005 BMW M3 Convertible: Just cause I could!!!$70k

2003 F-150 Triton V8 Manual Transmission 4x4.: To go muddin in. $12k

90 VW Corrado VR6. :Cause those cars just rocked, and I want to kick it OLD SKOOL VW.$12k-$20k
    2006 AUDI Q7: So I can be a soccer mom! (I saw it at the DALLAS AUTO SHOW AND IT ROCKS! $60k

I still have some money left, I guess I will use the rest of the money for gas and AAA (because most likely the VW CORRADO) :P
  • soomersoomer Member Posts: 3
    I would purchase a SLR McCLaren. A guy in my neighborhood has one and it is one nice ride.
    Can i invest that 500K and buy a ~50K car every 2-3 years? Should get me some nice rides, considering trade-ins.

smart and practical guy....

In that case, a boxster, then a 550i.

I would take the S version boxster or the Cayman. Love the Bimmer.

2007 911 turbo 'vert.

I like the convertible turbo also.

And a bunch of sensible vehicles for family/friends.
    You are g great guy...umm...what say we be friends ? ;)
    I rode and drove one last year.. .. it was good...nice carbon figer...Like the dual nature of super exotic that you could use everyday .
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    "2005/06 Panoz Because Dr. Panoz was nice enough to host an Audi Driving school at his Vinyard in GA. $60K (I think) "

If I'm not mistaken the Panoz is right at $100K. Atleast that's what they are "stickered" at Jordan Automotive right down the road. The "sticker" actually looks like it was printed on your everyday HP....so who knows. But, if I recall correctly, it was right at the $100K mark.
  • 06blksrt806blksrt8 Member Posts: 57
    If i had half a million to spend on cars, I'd have to get one in each category. For luxury I'd get an 07 Mercedes CLS 55 AMG (100k) for SUVs I'd get an 07 Escalade (65k), for sports cars I'd get an 06 Z06 for my everyday (70k) and a Lamborghini Gallardo (200k). I'd take 20k and dump it into the 66 Nova SS I already have. I'd payoff my 06 Jeep SRT 8 and I'd spend the last 20k on like a Mazda 3 or something to offset the horrible gas mileage I'd get from all of the above cars.
    YOu and I have the same thoughts. I would also buy "one" in each category...

but you said :I'd get an 06 Z06 for my everyday (70k) and a Lamborghini Gallardo (200k).

I think that is two sports cars...but I am not going to tell if you let us all have a ride in it.. ;)
    I was going to bid on a nice alfa romeo 1974 GTV....but the bidding went beyond $22,000....it was a really nicely redone one....

Lots of nice 50, 60, 70 s car are out there....
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    "I was going to bid on a nice alfa romeo 1974 GTV"

I had one of those (a '74 even) back in the early 80's. Being an Alfa in England the bodywork soon turned into a collection of holes held together with rust.

Talking of older Italian vehicles, anyone ever drive a Lancia Delta Integrale? That was a fun car to drive. An early 80's equivalent to an Impreza WRX. I remember going to a track day at Brands Hatch and seeing some poor guy roll his. He got out of his upside down car with the biggest grin I've ever seen.
    The they start just over $92K and go to just under 130k.

I had one of those (a '74 even) back in the early 80's. Being an Alfa in England the bodywork soon turned into a collection of holes held together with rust.

This one was nice...completely redone...and resprayed...but the 2nd gear synchro was slow....and may need new fuel system. I was outbid.

There is another one 1971 GTV...but it has rust on 3 areas...near the door jams....what do you think ?

IT does not loook bad.... but can it be repaired ? I am thinking about getting it. The engine was completely rebuilt and looks clean otherwise. $5000 is going price.
    I'd build me my very own dealership, and drive the newest and latest from the manufactor.

I'd buy a GM dealership enterprise which would include the following.

Buick, Cadillac, Cheverolet, Pontiac, GMC, Saab, Saturn.

:shades:

Rocky

P.S. I might even purchase a Acura dealership for kicks, since $500K is nothing for a car. ;)
    Can I add to my list a CXT?

What's CXT ?

I'm lost... :D

Rocky
    What's CXT ?

Well its only the king of pick up trucks. With a 6 ton cargo and a 20 ton towing capacity how can you go wrong?

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/xtfamily/cxt.asp

there was an old Diamond-T rig abandoned along with some other trucks, culvert pipes, etc, at the back edge of a cornfield near my house. I used to play on that stuff when I was a kid...probably a miracle I never got tetanus or anything! Anyway, even back then I thought it would've been cool to salvage that Diamond-T, put a bed on the back, and make a big pickup out of it.
    ...was a very prestigious name among trucks back in the day. It was considered the Cadillac or Rolls-Royce of trucks. They were very attractively styled and had more amenities than most trucks of their time.
    what year that old Diamond-T near my house was, but I've always been fascinated by it. I've tried looking at pics of of Diamond-T's on the web, but can't find anything that looks exactly like it. I remember it had a tall grille with thick, horizontal chrome bars, and the headlights seemed spaced a bit wide, kind of like a Pierce Arrow. And I remember the rear window on the cab was split. I can't remember if the windshield was split or not, though. I just remember it was broken out. I'm guessing it was from sometime in the 50's, though. I know there are some pics of it somewhere, in an old family photo album, with me as a 3 year old standing by it.
    OIC it's the same one that was featured a few months ago in Motor Trend. I look at it as a waste of money for the non-contruction guy.

Rocky
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    57 T-Bird with both tops
    New Ford GT
    LS 430
    Acura NSX, assuming I can get into it :blush:
    Maybach 62
    427 Cobra
This discussion has been closed.