Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Sport 2WD, no options - $29,630 MSRP

Grand Touring 4WD, most options - $40,000+ MSRP

Still no inside dimensions to compare to the Veracruz and Outlook/Acadia.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Hey Guys,

Just got this:
    http://cx-9.prelaunch.carscomplete.com/prelaunch/dispatch.do

It is a build it page for the cx-9 showing different color combinations and options. It is a prelim build order site to see what consumers are thinking, but it does give some great ideas on colors and options. I just love the profile and the colors look great, especially the galaxy gray mica which reminds me of my TSX ext. color.

I do not like the fact that options seem to be all packaged together, like I just want a sunroof I do not need the Bose sound option, but we shall see. I also noticed that the grand touring potentionally will come standard with "Smart Card with Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System"...pretty cool stuff.

Anyhow enjoy,
    B.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's a curious site - it doesn't look like an official Mazda site but a car dealer site that also runs getyourcarprice.com. But if you drill through to the "keep me updated" link, it bumps you to MazdaUSA. And the domain contact is Trilogy.com which delivers business info to lots of big companies, including Ford. And if you look at the current job listings at Trilogy, they are all in Bangalore.

Seems a roundabout way to get the "survey" information to Mazda, but whatever works. :shades:

Hey, I'm putting tile down and I need something to do while the glue dries. :D
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It's a strong parallel to the "surveys" Ford has done on the MKX and Edge.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I see that survey also is linked from the main Mazda site. Butus22 got me curious by linking straight to the survey.

The one I've built is an AWD Touring in Stormy Blue Mica with Sand Leather with mats, splash guards and roof rack - anyone got $32,910 lying around? :shades:
    Sorry, I don't pay MSRP.

......and I don't think you added the $595 destination charge in!!
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    My wife and I ordered a CX-9 (which will be delivered in late January/early February) with just about every bell and whistle. Our dealer (who incidently just sold us another new car last month...) placed the order for $1K over invoice. His msrp's were the same as in the Mazda build-it website so I feel good about the price we're paying. He received the order information on Friday, Oct. 6; we placed the order on Saturday. All 3 CX-9's in his initial allotment are sold, btw. The only other 6+ passenger cuv using regular gas with available xenon hid headlights and an awd transmission was/is...the Chrysler Pacifica! (Am I wrong?)

I'm convinced the CX-9 is a real winner!

Jay
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    You are probably right, unless you go up into luxury brands like Acura or Mercedes. The Hyundai Veracruz might have all those options available if we get something closer to what they are getting in Korea. The Buick Enclave will probably have all that, but it is supposed to start around $32k or so.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My wife and I ordered a CX-9 (which will be delivered in late January/early February) with just about every bell and whistle.

Expect delivery to be closer to March. These orders will not be processed until November 1st, then production will start. It is usually 3 months from then.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter from a national newspaper is looking to speak current or previous large SUV owners that are looking to or have downsized to smaller SUVs or crossover vehicles. Please provide your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    I like everything about the Grand Touring model ( all the bells and whistles )....But, I would prefer the 18 inch wheels and taller tires, so as to get a little more rubber and air between me and the bumps in the road. Does any body have an opinion as to weather the dealer would switch out the wheels and tires for the 18 inchers....?
    ?.....Am I correct in assuming that the 18 inches would give a bit of a smoother ride?????/
    I feel the same way, and doubt that the dealer would swap unless he had another CX-9 owner with 18's who wanted to swap.

I believe you're correct in assuming that the 20's will have a harsher ride.
    Please post where you find CX-9 reviews in auto magazines, web reviews, etc.
    There's not that much difference between the tires (60 series vs. 50 series). 18's will probably have a bit more wet traction while the 20's will provide better dry traction. Provided they pick the right tires to go on it, the ride should be pretty well the same. Now, if you put 35 series rubber bands on it, you're rear end would probably get pretty sore. :)
    Arumage,

This is what I hope is the case. What assurance do I have that what you say is true? ... i.e. your credentials
    The 20" 50 series tire has .96" less section height than a 18" 60 series tire.

A lower section height will give you a rougher ride, there is less cushion!

How much is felt, depends on the vehicles suspension and the driver's sensitivity/acceptance.

You may or may not be happy with the larger wheels/tires.
    My current car has 16 inch rims with 60 series tires, and I had a friend with 17 inch rims with 50 series tires. Both were Dodge cars but different models. I couldn't tell much of a difference in ride between the two vehicles.

I think it's mostly going to depend on how the vehicle is sprung and how well it is able to absorb rough road. Don't get me wrong! I think that the 18's will ride better than the 20's, but I don't think it will be as much difference as you think. It's all going to depend on a test drive though.

Smaller, stronger sidewalls do increase roughness a bit, but they also increase grip because of less bouncing and give in the tire. This is why you see road racing cars with smaller sidewalled tires.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I went from 17 in wheels in my car to 18 in, and couldn't really tell the difference. But then again, it was always a firm ride, which I like.

You don't have to stick with the stock tires if you go to 20 in...you could always get new tires that are a little wider and maybe more sidewall. Being a SUV, i'd bet slightly bigger tires wouldn't rub on the fenders. But the 20 in wheels will likely give the CX-9 a more sporty attitude in cornering, if that's what people are interested in. But I'd bet most people would get the 20 in wheels simply for the more aggressive look!
    You can't change you size too much though or you'll have to get the car's computer updated. The speedometer can get off.
    Does anyone know when they will be showing up in the showrooms
    I would guess they'll be in the showrooms by January. Where's aviboy97? He seems to have all the good information on this stuff. :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    First orders went in this month....so if things stay on schedule they should show up early next year.
    Headroom* 38.4/39.0/35.4
    Legroom 40.9/39.8/32.4
    Shoulder room 59.4/58.7/56.85

* w/moonroof
    That's pretty good shoulder room for a third row seat. Leg room is great for 1st and 2nd row. The 3rd row better than average, but nothing to write home about. It would be big enough for adults to be fairly comfortable by sliding the seat up a couple of inches.
    I would guess they'll be in the showrooms by January

I placed my first allocation earlier this month. The order won't be processed until November 1st. I would not expect the CX-9 to get here until late February to mid March.

16-18 weeks is typical order to delivery time frame here in the North East. If you are on the West Coast, you might get it a week or two before us.
    Works for me. My wife wants to get her doctorate on top of her master's degree so I probably won't be getting one for a while anyway. :) I would have figured they might get it to market a bit sooner since it had such an early public debut.
    Mazda, recently, has been announcing new vehicles, and showing a near production prototype's almost a year before they are available.

The Mazdaspeed6 made it's debut in 2004 at the Paris Auto Show, and it didn't hit dealer lots until early December 2005. The CX-7 made it's debut in April 2005 as the MX-Crossport Concept, and we didn't see it for a whole other year and 2 months. We saw the CX-9 in April of this year, and it was basically just a shell. So, figure about a year from then is when we will see the CX-9.
    I guess that they are trying to gauge the upcoming vehicles popularity. Most show cars are made completely of bondo and lead anyway. You only have to have the asthetics down before the show, not the mechanics.
    exactly!

Before you know it, the CX-9 will be here. There should be plenty around after a month or so after release. The initial allocations will be slim, but, plentiful after that, just like the CX-7.
    It doesn't say much, but it sounds like an endorsement to me.

Automobile Magazine
    Your right does not say much of anything then everyone else has said...I really look forward to a comparo to the other comparable vehicles like the Honda Pilot, likely to come in early next year.

B.
    Edmunds and Motor Trends have both had very favorable first drives in prototypes. They both said it had good acceleration, especially for its size. Everybody really seems to love the Aisan transmission. They said it shifts so smoothly you don't even notice. They said handling was awesome for the size, but because of the tight suspension and 20" wheels, you could feel a bump here and there.
    On KBB now along with GMC Acadia (MSRP/Invoice pricing).

Just need the Veracruz specs and pricing now.
    You can build a CX-9 on Mazda's website. Just select "Upcoming and Concept" and click the CX-9. Then under the picture of the CX-9, there is an option to build it.
    Yeah looks like the link I posted 2 weeks ago for CX-9 test build site has changed to this, much more in depth, great pictures. I wonder why they don't just release it now they seems to have everything all set except actual product on the lots, maybe to build up inventory levels to arrive here.

I love that rear 3/4 view and profile view, I think they have a winner on their hands.

B.
  • sukispeedsukispeed Member Posts: 27
    Mazda has more info on there web site now.
    link
    Seems the same as what I looked at this morning, anyhow I really want to see some mileage numbers, 0-60, and braking.

I think my least favorite part is the direct view of the fron end, but that could be because it looks awkward when you look at it as if you are 3 feet tall.

B.
    You can build it on KBB.com, and they list a FWD gas mileage of 18/24 and AWD of 16/22. Braking and acceleration should be fairly good compared to it's main competitors because it is lighter than all but the underpowered Freestyle.
    How did KBB (Kelly Blue Book) come up with these gas mileage figures when Mazda doesn't even have them posted yet. I hope they're wrong. If the AWD only gets 16/22....geeze the Acura MDX gets a little better than that. (17/22)...Hmmmmmmm
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    But the Acura MDX starts at $40k and ends up near $48k loaded, while an almost fully loaded CX-9 Grand Touring with AWD (the most expensive trim) ends up at $40k. So the $8k you'll save by not buying the MDX will surely make up for the gas mileage ;-)

I've considered the MDX, even got a nice brochure, but it's not worth all that money, imo. For $40k, the CX-9 will have everything the MDX has, i.e. bluetooth, a nice NAV (in fact, the NAV in the CX-9 is touchscreen, while in the MDX it is not), rear seat DVD, all-wheel drive, etc. etc.

There's not way the MDX has $8k in upgraded plastics, suspension, etc. You're just paying a premium for the Acura brand, which is fine if you're an Acura fan. I'm just looking for some value for my money, and the CX-9 fits the bill, even if it will have slightly lower mpg.
    Regular vs. premium fuel a factor in Miles per $$ ?

Cargo volume: 101 vs. 87.
    Throw in the extra options that the Mazda has, and you get $49k for the MDX. With FWD the Mazda gets better gas mileage too. With that price difference and the extra 10 cents per gallon for premium, the CX-9 still comes up smelling like roses.

If you don't end up buying this year, I'm sure the CX-9 will end up with power upgrades. The engine currently makes 263hp without the aid of direct injection or variable valve timing. It really a rather simple engine. In theory, you could end up with 300+hp with very simple modifications on regular gas.
    I would never compare an Acura MDX to a Mazda CX-9.... this car is supposed to compete against the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilots of the world not luxury utes like the Lexus RX, Acura MDX or BMW X5.

Regardless, 16/22 sucks, I mean the 5 year old Honda Pilot gets 17/22 on an arguably less aerodynmic body with one less tranny cog...this is a dissapointment any way you slice it. But I think the KBB is just guesstimating as those figures have not been completed by the EPA or published.

Later,
    B.
  • regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    The CX-9 looks like a sure hit from a styling perspective but the Edmunds staff has not given it a full test yet.
    I find it odd to offer such a high recommendation to a vehicle the even the writer states was still in the tuning process...
    Let's suppose the final tuned product stinks with little or less zoom then in the prototype (not likely)but for the sake of argument I'd like to only see fully tested in full production vehicles given top honors;it makes the Edmunds honors more credible and make me as a consumer feel more confident about the recommendations.
    Motor Trend's article said pretty much the same thing as Edmunds. Upon first drive, they both really liked it. I wouldn't say either flat out recommended it though. It sounded like they both thought it had alot of promise. I suppose we'll se what happens after the full road test.

The only real complaint I saw from either one of them was that because of the rather tight suspension and the 20" wheels, pot holes caused a little bit of suspension noise in the cabin.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda is saying the MPG will be

2WD...18/24
    AWD...16/22
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Mazda has started production of the CX-9. This means they should be arriving in the US by late January. :)

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2006/200610/061030.html
    I've never seen this information coming from Mazda. I've only seen it from KBB. It'll be interesting to see if Mazda posts this information soon.
  • balooobalooo Member Posts: 24
    How much more of a recommendation do you want then "Editors Most Wanted" This certainly is a flat out recommendation.
    I am not saying the CX-9 does not deserve it however the vehicle just launched production two days ago.
    Alot could change in a pre-production vehical and finished product.
    The "Editors most wanted" award is premature is my opinion.