Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The only thing that you get for the extra money with the Audi, IMHO, is a name and some bragging rights with the neighbors. Audi always rates as a poor value in its class and has had some definite reliability issues. I'm not saying Mazda hasn't, but all that extra money without a whole lot to gain for it, except people thinking I have more money than I do :) doesn't really entice me to buy a Q7. If I had that much money, I'd get the MB GL450. It's not much more than the V8 Q7.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    I did look at the GL450, but it just seems to ordinary, like most SUV's on the road. What's nice about the Q7 is it has that sporty shape, but is still a 200 inch long car. The Mazda definitely has that look to it as well, somthing the Explorer doesnt. Still, IMHO, the Audi is a fantastic car that is has a combination of room and style you cant get with anything else. Only the Cx-9 comes the close to matching it in my opinion.
    I definitely agree that the GL450 is very bland. Chances are good that I will never own anything as expensive as the Audi or Mercedes. (I have alot of trouble parting with my money :) ) I know people rag on them for alot (although their new vehicles are receiving alot of praise), but Hyundai has a new CUV coming out very late this year or maybe next year called the Veracruz (was thought to be called the Mesa). It will have a 3.8L V6 with about 270-280hp. It is bigger and more luxurious than the Santa Fe, and has the required curvy shape. There is a forum for it here already.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Thanks for the tip. Hyundai is really a whole new company. They're new cars compete very competevly with Honda and Toyata. I will definitley look into this car. :)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    1. Is the CX-9 sold now, or is it a car to be released in the next 6-12 months...

2. Unless I missed the obvious, I checked Pacifica, and it still comes with a 3.5L 250 HP engine, not a 4.0 L...is that a future engine, or am I alseep at the wheel???

Thanks
    1. The CX-9 is not for sale now. It is supposed to be released in the next 6 months or so. I supposed it depends on the how many changes at the factory they have to make.

2. The 2007 Pacifica, which is also not out yet, will have a 4.0L V6 with about 265hp and a bit more torque. It will also have a 6 speed automatic. The hp and torque curves are supposed to be much improved, but I'm not sure of any mpg improvements yet.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The CX-9 is not for sale now. It is supposed to be released in the next 6 months or so. I supposed it depends on the how many changes at the factory they have to make.

I would not count on the CX-9 for almost a year or so. Orders take about 14-16 weeks once a dealer places them. Us dealers have no info on the CX-9 yet. I placed my first order for the Mazdaspeed3 back in June, it is not scheduled to start production until 8-31-06, which means I wont see it until November/ December. Given how Mazda does it's allocations and shipments, I would not bet on the CX-9 until March/April of 2007 as a 2008 model.
    I figured it could be billed as a 2008 model, but they will probably release more information about pricing and such closer to 6 months. They really don't have to worry much about sales of an outgoing vehicle since this isn't really directly replacing anything. Production will probably ramp up much faster on the CX-9 though as it will be a much bigger money-getter than the limited orders of the Mazdaspeed3.
    they will probably release more information about pricing and such closer to 6 months. They really don't have to worry much about sales of an outgoing vehicle since this isn't really directly replacing anything

I really do not see pricing comming out until almost near arrival time here in the U.S.. And actually, the Mazda CX-9 is the replacement for the NA Mazda MPV. I happen to think sales for the CX-9 will be far greater then recent MPV sales numbers.

Production was ramped up for the CX-7, one of the most highly anticipated vehicles for 2007, and it got here 3 months late. I will not bank on the CX-9 arriving here when they say it will.
    It's not a direct replacement for the MPV, but you may be right about pricing release. Most people who want a minivan will go elsewhere (Minivans have more usable interior space), but it will definitely pull a few away from minivans. It's a beautiful vehicle.

There are a few less engineering changes to the CX-9 than the CX-7 due to its stock use of the 3.5L V6. It's really not worth arguing though since I probably won't be ready to buy a vehicle when it comes out anyway. :cry:
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    I found this image in a different color other then the blue we have all seen, it would be nice to see a few more colors:

I am still crossing my fingers for some good mileage numbers, however they can manage it.

B.">
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    It looks a little bit like the color on the CX-7. It doesn't look bad in the silver in the video posted by Crikey either. :)
  • jimesqjimesq Member Posts: 7
    I am assuming that this vehicle will be produced along side the Edge and MKX. Does anyone know where these vehicles are being produced? Hopefully CX-9 will not be built in a UAW plant, I think that was the Mazda6's downfall in terms of quality ratings, that and the duratec V6.

This is a great looking vehicle, probably get slightly better fuel economy than the CX-7 even though it is larger. Little concerned about buying one early in the model run though with an unproven engine and transmission.
    The word is that it will be built in Japan.

I think the problem the the duratec V6 in the Mazda6 was due to them trying to push 221hp out of it. The larger displacement and valvetrain goodie of the new 3.5L V6 should make it a better and more reliable performer. Word is that it will make 270hp so I would bank on about the same gas mileage numbers as the CX-7 (maybe more on the highway), but CX-7 will have a bit better performance overall.

Ford is placing alot of trust in this new engine. It is the same overall dimensions as the previous 3.0L V6 so it can eventually replace it entirely. It is supposed to be 7% more fuel efficient as well.

Someone has posted a video on YouTube of a CX-9. It's a pretty bad quality video, but the vehicle does look nice as far as fit and finish from the side.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Pretty sure the Edge & MKX will be produced at Oakville, Ontario. Not sure about the CX-9.

By now, UAW workers should be well aware that their future depends very much on the quality of their work.
    The engine is being built in Lima, Ohio. Ford is investing $335 million in that plant to build these engines.
    Nice catch!...It looks alot better with this silver color, I was kind of sick of looking at blue ones. Too bad we do not see the front end in this color with the chrome. My guess is that the mileage realistically comes in at 19/25, I hope they gear the 6sp for more fuel efficiency...in regards to features just read this over at Autoweek:
    "More iPods
    General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. are teaming up with Apple Computers Inc. to enable people to link their iPods to vehicle audio systems on most 2007 models.
    The move, announced today, means that more than 70 percent of all 2007 model-year U.S. vehicles will be able to link with iPods, Apple said in a press release.
    The automakers will provide a cable that will link iPods with a vehicle's audio system. The link allows people to use the vehicle audio controls to choose songs on the iPod. The link also charges the iPod's battery.
    Mazda's entire 2007 lineup, along with most other Ford vehicles, will offer the feature as a dealer-installed option as well. The Ford accessory, called TripTunes Advanced, will cost about $200 plus recommended dealer installation, a Ford spokesperson said. -ERIN ROBINSON, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS"

This is great news IMO.

B.
    The Mazda CX-9 will be built in Japan.

The Ford Edge/ Lincoln MKX share the platform with the CX-7, not the CX-9. However, they will share the same engine, Duratec35. As for transmission, it will probably use the same 6-speed auto that is in the CX-7. I do not see why they would use the Ford tranny.

The preliminary HP numbers I have heard from Mazda are around 250. We could see more, though.

I bet we see the CX-9 sometime Spring 07.
    Other forums are guessing at 270hp. The Ford Edge will be 265hp so I think the Mazda will beat that due to it's added weight. 250hp was just a preliminary number. They said it should atleast have more than 250hp. As for the tranny, it will probably be, IMHO, a package deal. I think it will be all Ford under the hood to save cost.
    As for the tranny, it will probably be, IMHO, a package deal. I think it will be all Ford under the hood to save cost.

It is a possibility, however, Mazda does not use Ford tranny's, except in the Tribute, which by all means is an Escape clone, and the B-Series pick-up (Ranger)

The other Mazda vehicles with the Duratec30 use Mazda trannys. (Mazda6, Mazda MPV).

Since it is being built in Japan, I do think they will use the 6-speed auto found in the CX-7.

About the HP, I would like to see 270. That would put it near top of it's class when it is released.

When introducing a new model, you want to offer what your competition does not. A 270 hp engine would do the trick.
    Whether it is a Mazda transmission or a Ford transmission, I don't know, but the Ford Fusion and Mazda6 share the same 6-speed auto with the current Duratec V6. I believe the 6-speed mated to the 2.3L 4-cyl is all Mazda though since the Fusion uses a 5-speed auto with it's 4-cyl offering.

It will be interesting to see if they modify their own 6-speed auto to fit the CX-9. I don't think it will be a very cost effective move because it will probably be the only vehicle that uses that engine for a couple of years.
    Why is everyone so hot on having the most horsepower...thus meaning it is better then other cars in its class, these are not sports cars...I am all for horsepower, but at this point in this class of car I care more about fuel economy in this day and age... now if they offer class leading fuel economy then we are talking.

I would easily give up 5% horsepower just to get better fuel economy.

How about if it offered some cylinder management technology and increased mileage to 20/27, then it would kill everyone in the segment.

Just my thoughts.

B.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    My local Mazda dealer says that, even though the engine is Ford-sourced, Mazda will tune it for higher performance. It's very possible that it will use premium, or at least mid-grade gas. His response was to my question: "Will the CX-9 use regular gas since it's using the Ford engine?"

BTW, we're not after horsepower. What we want in our next family hauler is 6-7 seats, xenon headlights, awd and an engine that uses regular gas. Right now, only the Pacifica meets those criteria.
    The motor is supposed to be 7% more fuel efficient than it's predecessor despite it's increased hp and torque numbers. Ford lists the Edge getting highway mileage of 25-26mpg. I'm guessing the Mazda will be very similar. I'd love to see 20/27, but I don't think it's going to happen. :cry: Maybe we'll see 19/26 or 18/25. It's going to be very competitive in every way though (gas mileage, performance, and style).

Cylinder management technology really only works for highway driving, where the driver isn't in and out of the accelerator.
    Personally I'd love to see Ford's new hybrid transaxle in the CX-9, but I don't think that's going to happen either. :cry:
    I'm pretty sure it will use regular. The only reason the CX-7 uses premium is because of the turbo. I believe it will be very, very close to what the Ford Edge is getting.

BTW, the Pacifica is getting a 4.0L V6 for next year with a 6-speed automatic and a very mild facelift. The should help performance and gas-mileage a bit, but the Mazda will have more interior room. I love the Pacifica and have taken a long trip in a rental Pacifica. I loved the vehicle, but was not impressed with the interior room for such a large vehicle. (Plus you'll be able to seat an extra person in the Mazda)
    I don't think the Fusion uses the same 6-speed tranny that the Mazda6 does. The Mazda uses a Mazda tranny. I think Ford uses a Ford tranny.

The Mazda6 2.3L uses a 5-speed auto, also Mazda built.

It will be interesting to see if they modify their own 6-speed auto to fit the CX-9

I do not think they will have to do much modifying, if any. I have heard the the Duratec30 and Duratec35 are very similar. But, I guess we will have to wait and see
    I drove Pacifica last year and I thought the interior for an American car (I know it has German roots) was nice..the exterior is ok. I thought the biggest issue is that it felt ponderous and slow witted. It made the Honda Pilot I test drove feel like a Miata. I hope they fix that but the Mazda CX-9 IMO is a lot nicer from the interior and exterior pics I have seen, and counting on some solid Mazda DNA agility/nimbleness seeping into the chassis.
    I am sure it will be regular gas this is targeted towards families...its true competition is the leaders in the class like the Honda Pilot & Toyota Highlander (even though they are more truck-like...but they both get replaced next year so expect even more crossover like entries and better in every way to their 5 year old designs).
    I need near top of the class in gas mileage with an AWD optional 3rd row seating vehicle for the family that offers some decent car-like handling and looks. My Acura TSX is just feeling a bit too small now, so need to add that family car.

B.
    Just about every website I've come across says they share the same engine and transmission, but none of them are affiliated with Ford or Mazda.

As far as external dimensions they are the same. The 3.5L was built as a direct replacement for the 3.0L.
    The CX-9 will most likely be lighter than the Pacifica which will help. I'm sure Mazda will also make sure it inherits some "Zoom-zoom".

The Honda Pilot is slated to be a replaced probably as a late 2008 or early 2009. Here's a spy shot of one.

The Toyota Highlander will probably be replaced about the same time. I don't expect it will really look much like it's concept, but here's a picture anyway.
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    Why does anyone need xenon headlights? Everyone got along fine without them for all of time...and now it's a requirement for some people? It's beyond absurd.

If anyone really needs xenons, take the time to learn how to retrofit other cars with it, and good a good quality vehicle. The idea that a Chrysler product is your lone choice due to its headlights is one of the worst things I've ever heard. The quality issues alone are daunting, and there are so many good imports either coming soon or in the near future (2008) that it boggles the mind why anyone that can tie their own shoelaces would consider Chrysler.

And I'm not even getting into the MPG with this point.

Dave Becker
    The Pilot shot is basically a mule for testing hot weather engine stuff, most people have been discussing it as a testing some sort of Ridgeline V8 as the front end has ridgeline-like nose...or possibly some pilot running gear. The mule itself is obviously the new Acura MDX....here is some more info at VTEC.net:
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=593523

By all accounts it will be released next year as a 2008, same thing with the highlander that badly needs an update, and I think it is doubtful it looks like that conecpt but I could be wrong.

B.
    I have no problem with Chrysler's longevity. My only complaints with Chrysler are with the 2.7L V6 sucks, the weight of their new vehicles, and MPG. I love my 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES, except I wish it got a few more MPG's. It's been a great car.

Everyone chooses a vehicle based on different reasons. Who are you to tell them their reasons are absurd or their vehicle choice is stupid? I've heard of very few quality problems with the Pacifica.

Besides, you're bashing domestics in a forum for a vehicle that will have a good deal of Ford DNA in it.
    I see that it will be a 2008 model, but I think it will probably be a late release, just because no one has seen it yet. Anyway, based on looks alone (even if I'm comparing it to a MDX), I'll still take the CX-9.
    Man, get a life!
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    Between myself and my family (a wide variety of people), I have had a tremendous amount of problems with Chryslers. Specifically, transmissions.

Agreed about the Ford DNA. That likely accounts for the quality issues that Mazda has compared to other foreign makes, though sadly, especially with Toyota lately, I think that the foreign makes' quality is coming down more than domestic quality going up.

My point is that there are countless reasons to choose a car, and xenon headlights should be about #533 on the list.

And as for getting a life, that's truly a useless post, though it took ya two tries to do it. Try to ask your father to post for you next time so it works on the first try.

Dave Becker
    As quantity goes up, quality goes down. The same thing has happened to Dell in the computer industry. That's why other brand's have been making a comeback.

I believe we understand your point, but your point is, for lack of a better word, pointless. If someone wants Xenon headlight to be a deciding factor in the car they choose, why would you put them down? Just because it's not your reason for buying a car doesn't mean it's invalid.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,294
    i rode in the back of a pacifica last week. rear seat back is too upright. maybe it adjusts.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I think the middle row does, but I doubt the 3rd row does. The 3rd row should be a bit bigger for a vehicle that size, IMHO. I hope the CX-9's will be a bit roomier, not that it will get used all the time.
    Dear Dave,

I want the xenon headlights because suicidal deer run rampant in my neighborhood at night.

(Thanks, Daddy for helping me send this one absolutely correctly! I love ya!)
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Where's the mazda in this forum? I clicked here to find info on the Future CX-9 not hear this bickering nonsense. And why am I hearing so much about Pacifica in this forum? Is this the '07 Chrysler Pacifica Forum? (this I do think that was a nice freshening!)
    The topic sort of branched off. You are probably hearing a bit about the Pacifica because we were originally comparing it to the CX-9, as far atleast size and featuring. Then someone came in busting domestic cars and people's reasons for choosing a vehicle. Then... that's where you came into the forum. Anything you would like to know or topics you want to cover on the CX-9 (although most of it is still speculation)?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Why does anyone need xenon headlights? Everyone got along fine without them for all of time...and now it's a requirement for some people? It's beyond absurd.

The same could be said for any option...people survived before A/C..so why does anyone need it? Why does anyone need power windows, those manual ones work fine...etc..
    I totally understand about suicidal deer. They get pretty crazy around my area too. I would think the CX-9 would have that as an option, but they will probably package it with a more "limited" package (with leather, heated seats, etc.).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Calm down... we're back on track :) The best way to get a discussion back on-topic is by posting an on-topic comment. Thanks!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Thanks- how does anyone think cx-9 will stack up against the new saturn outlook/ gmc acadia? if it were my choice, I'd go for the acadia/ oulook. That acadia looks AWESOME to me. seems like more interior room in the GMs too.
    They look nice but will probably be a bit more, unless you buy the Outlook. Saturn has had and still does have some problems with fit and finish. I would look for the Acadia to start at $30k, being that the Buick version is estimated at $32k. The CX-9 is supposed to start around $28k according to a few forums. There is a bit more room in the GMs, but it's only about 2 inches longer and an inch or two wider. The CX-9, because it is a Mazda, will probably handle better and have a slight edge in acceleration because the GMs are going to be so heavy. While GM may have the edge in interior room by a few inches, I enjoy Mazda's interior design much more.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    The CX-9 will probably directly compete with the new GM CUVs, since they are all very close in size and will offer more "generous" 3rd row seating. I think all of them will have similar features and options, except for the Enclave which is trying to go luxury and might offer better quality materials (i.e. more expensive options).

In the end, I think what will matter is exterior styling: do you want a CUV that is more car-like, or one that retains the traditional chunkiness of SUVs? I think the CX-9 and Enclave will do well with people that don't want a CUV that is too "trucky" looking, while the Acadia/Outlook will do well with people that want their CUVs to be a little more rugged-looking.

Do I make any sense here?
    You make perfect sense to me. That seems to be a good way to explain it. My wife wants an SUV that doesn't look too traditional. She does like the Buick but doesn't like the Acadia or Outlook. I just don't think the Buick's going to be in the budget. They are estimating the GM products to get about 17/25mpg. I'm realistically hoping the Mazda gets atleast a mpg or two better.