Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    If you're elidgable for the S-plan... aren't you also for the "e" plan? If not... that may be one of the differences of being able to order the car you want... I'm told for the current e-plan deal ... the car must be RDR'd by the end of this month to qualify.
  • edmundskbedmundskb Member Posts: 3
    I just took delivery of a CX-9 AWD Sport in Liquid Platinum. I must say, this car is beautiful! It completely blows away my previous vehicle which was a Chevy Trailblazer. I can't believe how much car you get for the price.

Now... here's my dilemma. The wife will be driving the CX-9 on a daily basis. She works at a mall and leaves the car parked there all day. Without any side guards on the doors this car is going to sustain some serious 'ding' damage.

Does anyone know if Mazda plans on releasing body side moldings as an optional accessory? If so, do you know if it will be color coded to match the vehicles color or just black?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

-Kevin-
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I had the same concern. Couldn't find anything offered by Mazda. I bought generic molding from Pep Boy's type store. Black vinyl set between narrow chrome. Looks "okay" ... a lot better than dings in the doors.

If you install them yourself, be aware that there's definitely a wrong way to do it. The wrong way is to install the strips parallel to the ground ... looks awful.

The right way is parallel to the bottom edge of the doors.

I used blue painters masking tape to provide a reference, then installed the molding along the bottom edge of the tape.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    I got a set from this place that were made specifically for my CX-9 and matched the body color...

link title

Just carefully follow the installation instructions
    Can you Post pictures of your car with them on? I'm thinking to get them for our (newly aquired awesome) CX-9...not to mention... working for a dealer it may be a nice thing to offer to customers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your CarSpace page has photo albums and it's easy to upload pics there.
    Looks good. Had I known that at the time, I would have gone for them.

My caution on the installation ramains. Make sure the moldings are parallel with the lines of the vehicle (door bottom edges) else they just won't look right.
    I wasn't asking how to... but asking for them to post pictures of their car with the protectors. ;)
    I knew you were going to say that, lol -- it was just easier to reply to your post than go back up a page. :shades:

Lots of others haven't found out about CarSpace yet, so that's my excuse for tagging on to your post to plug the albums.
    If the sun comes out this weekend and I get her washed, I'll try to post some pics. (mine's Midnight Blue) The ones on the Sportwing website show it pretty well, and when I took it to the dealer, they were impressed by how professional it looked. Maybe not quite as good as factory, but not bad. The hardest part was getting up the nerve to stick them on my "brand new car"... :)
    Okay, Okay. I did a quick & dirty shoot & crop & added to somewhere in my profile. It took far longer to figure out how to post the photo than to shoot & process. I hope you can find it.

Steve: How do we find it?

Or will this do it?

http://www.carspace.com/lateralg/Albums/lateralg's Album/Body Side_0705.jpg/page/photo.html#pic
    That works for me. :-)

Thanks!
    I should have installed the front end a tad lower. It's not quite parallel with the door bottoms & Looks like it's low in the rear.
    nice picture though.. .it does make a difference... How much was the set again, and how long did it take to get them?
    As I recall, ~ $20. They were in stock at a store like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Murrays.

3-M Adhesive backed. They've been on for more than 2,000 miles & all kinds of weather ... AZ to MI, and still securely mounted.

I added a dab of Pliobond contact cement at the pointy ends.

By the way, there's no way to protect against all dings from adjacent cars. The large variety of rear door shapes makes the "target area" on our car about 2 feet from top to bottom.

Be sure to eyeball your installation line and location with masking tape prior to application of the real thing.
    Nice... very well put... and great information... they look good... and for under $50 for (some) protection... It's a good deal.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    On Memorial Day I bought a GT AWD with the Assistance, Moon/NAV, and towing packages. I was not going to buy one. I went to the dealer to help my nephew buy his first new car ( Mazda 3 S Touring ). With very little negotiating, the dealer gave him a really good deal and seem to be in the mood to move cars. I had been looking for a AWD GT and they are rare in the South... They had a Copper Red/Sand Leather in the show room. The dealer said I'll make you a deal you can't refuse. To my suprise, he did... A little over $4K off MSRP and he gave me $1K over the retail KBB for my traid.

I love the way the car rides, handles and brakes. So far ( First 500miles ) gas milage is averging about 18mpg with a 50/50 split of city and highway.

My only complaint with the car is the seat bottom. I am a big person 6'-4" 230lb. The Rolled edge seam where the dark panel meets the sand leather on the side bolsters of the seat bottom get kind of uncomfortable on a long trip. The seam pokes me right in the back of my thighs. ( I drive 4-6hr per day ) Mazda should have made this a blind or french seam in my opinion. I hope it gets softer, otherwise I will probably have to have the seat coveres re-made. It is NOT somthing that you would notice on a short test drive. Any larger than normal person might want to spend some time in the seats before you purchase one...
    If you have a CX-9 or CX-7 with factory navigation, please comment on the ability of the nav. system to recognize your voice commands.

I ask because I had a 2001 Lexus and a 2003 Lincoln LS with the Denso system. They were far superior to the CX-9 Denso system in voice recognition. On a 1-10 scale, I rate the CX-9 as "2" ... almost worthless.
  • lexxm3lexxm3 Member Posts: 8
    On a scale of 1-10, I rate the CX-9 nav voice recognition a 0 -- i.e. no point of even identifying this as a feature, it doesn't work, period. The Bluetooth voice recognition is about a 7, however.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Has anyone heard about the rumor that for 2008 the CX 9 will come with a 3.7 275hp engine with a "fuel induction" system?....some in this forum mentioned this in a casual manner..I wonder if anyone heard about this also...or what other changes are oming for 2008....I heard that orders will start at end of June or July...????
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    The 2008 CX-9 will come with a 3.7 liter V6 engine. There is a possibility that this engine will feature direct ignition technology. Horsepower rating has not yet been announced but expect somewhere between 270hp and 300hp. AWD will be standard on GT versions. Models without the Navigation system will now have the option of a rearview mirror-mounted liquid crystal display system that shows what is behind the vehicle when shifted into reverse. Another new feature will be the Mazda Blind Spot Monitoring System, like the system in the Volvo XC-90 SUV and Audi Q7 this system warns the driver about to make a lane change if there is a vehicle in his/her blinds spot.
    Dang!

Blind spots are created by the driver via improper, yet popular, outside mirror aiming.
    I don't know if you are the same person from the Mazda Forum, but here is what another person there said...

"The new 3.7L engine will be a very significant upgrade to the CX-9. It will be between 275-320hp. However, more significant is that it will have about 25-50 more ft-lb of torque. The current 3.5L is a little weak on low end torque. This new engine will make it accelerate alot more enthustiacly. Since the vehicle is performance orented, it will make the car a lot more fun to drive. The direct injection will most likely make it more fuel efficient as well.

Unfortunately, the fact that the engine gets a significant upgrade less than an year into production will significantly lower the re-sale value of the 2007 models. It will probably drop the 4 year resale by a few thousand as the 2007 will always be a less desirable year model.

I just wish I got to enjoy it more more than one day before I found out it was already the "weak engine model"...
    I guess I'm lucky! I've had my "weak engined model" for about 3 months now and have put a little over 3500 miles on it... :) For normal driving situations, it seems to have more than enough low end and top end power. In the passing situations I've been in, 60mph - 80mph seemed plenty quick. Since I normally keep my vehicles at least 5 - 6 years and keep them well maintained, I'm not too worried about re-sale/trade-in value compared to the new more powerful version. I think the reliability difference of these engines, if there is one, will ultimately determine the future re-sale value. We'll see...
    I agree with you, I feel the same way...but the fact remains that to some people this iinfo is very important right?...the individual with info posted some more and here it is...

"I got my info from another web site. I later comfirmed it with my dealer. ( Most dealers should have the 2008 ordering infor by now ) It seems that Mazda has been testing the new 3.7L engine for Ford for some time now. It can be tuned to make between 275hp - 320hp without forced induction. However, the 300+ versions require a high compression ratio and premium gas.

For now Mazda has comfirmed that the 3.7 will be in the 2008 but has not said what hp level it will be at. On regular gas I suspect that it will be in the 280-290hp range. However, it is the extra torque that will make the car feel more lively. It will accelerate from a stop much better ( also helps with towing ). Even if it is only a 10 more hp, the extra torque will be worth the wait..."
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    link 2008 CX-9 Specifications and Features for *CANADA*. There may be things that are different but I think the engine will be the same.
    Can't deny that the information is helpfull for those on the fence... I'm sure I'd love to have "waited" and gotten the "strong engine" version... but.. :D I'm still wickedly happy! Things will surely change always ... as long as the world continues to spin...
    Crkey..THANK YOU very MUCH for your info this documnt clears many concerns that I had, like clor changes etc, now I know what to expect since the Canadian and USA models should be just about the same...Thank you very much again..

Ralph L.
    "Voice Activated NAV System"

HAH! The voice activates it, but rarely in the way desired ... unless the '08 is a BIG improvement over the '07.
  • xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    Crikey, do you have the spec for the 2008 CX-7 ?

Thanks.
    Hello,

I would like to ask all of you CX-9 Owners what you think about the seat comfort. I am 6'-4" and about 230lb. In other words I am about 20-25lb over weight...

Initially, I found the seats to be quite comfortable. However, I spend several hours a day driving. I noticed that after long 1.5+hr trips the side bolsters on the seat bottom get a little uncomfortable on my rear end. I think it is becasue the sides are deeply bolstered and the padding is a little thin tword the rear of the seat.

Have any of you guys/gals noticed a simmilar issue? If no one else has noticed this, there may be a problem with the padding in my seat.

Thanks...

By the way, I am the one that posted ( on another forum ) about the new 3.7L engine. I am quite dissapointed that I did not find out about the new engine until a day after I bought my CX-9. That combined with the uncomfortable seat bottom, I am really starting to regret my decision to buy a CX-9. It is really quite depressing....
    2008 CX-7 Specifications and Features for *CANADA*

Again, this is for Canada. I will update the CX-7 Board as well if the info is not already there. Cheers :)
  • dolchandolchan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed this option? I just bought a CX-9 and it was not available in my dealer and I now found out that it will be available later this month here. I asked the quote for it, then my dealer came back with around $1200 even though Mazda website says it will be available at $675 (MSRP) at dealer-installed option. Should I pay for the installation separately? I thought $675 includes the installation. Again, I already bought the car and am trying to install it when it's available. Any advice would be very appreciated.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    My Audi has deepl bolstered seats, and I could see how a bigger person might find it uncomfortable, i.e. the bolsters can dig into your thighs. It's something that I got used to over time, though.

If you really want to get crazy, you can actually take off the seat cover and add some foam padding. Not sure what's involved with the CX-9...probably have to take out the seat or something...
  • xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    Thanks a lot, Crikey. I am from Canada too, so it's just right. :-)

I was a bit disappointed though :-( as I was wishing they would put a V6 on it after seeing the change in power plant in the CX-9 (from 3.5 to 3.7) after only 1 year. Changing from 'Premium Required' to 'Premium Recommended' doesn't mean much to me, as 'Recommended' means there's a difference, and I wouldn't put regular in it only to see a drop in power. :confuse:
    No problem. I share whatever info I run across.

Which V6 would you rather have in the CX-7? The 3.7L? I think that may go against the intended purpose of the product, although, I wouldn't say it's a bad idea.
  • brickfrenzybrickfrenzy Member Posts: 38
    I'm 6'5", 237 lb and I don't find the seats any less comfortable than my old '03 Passat, which was quite plush.
    The seats in my CX-9 are so uncomfortable to me that I am going to have to sell it after only 1000 miles. It has my rear end so sore that I cannot stand to drive it any longer. I have owned many vehicles over the years and this is the only vehicle that I have experianced this problem with. My last vehicle was a 2005 Mercury Mariner and the seats were not any bigger, but were much more comfortable. The dealer and Mazda will not do anything to help me...

I am completely sick about the whole thing. I can not tell you how horrable I fell at this moment. I am going to lose thousands of dollars, but I cannot stand it any longer. I spend 4-6hr a day driving and this is just intolerable. I had an upolstry guy look at it and he said there is not enough padding tword the rear of the seat bottom and the frame is too narrow in the rear. tehre are two part sont eh fram of the seat bottom that are just under the cover and they put two pressre points on the sides of my rear end.

I HIGHLY RECOMED THAT you NOT buy a CX-9 if you are a larger than mormal person. I cannot believe that anyone over 200lb would find these seats to be comfortable on a long trip.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.....
    So far... I'm with you.. .tho "only" 6'2 and less than 200... so far so good here!
  • mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    Entitled opinion granted.

I'm a Texas big boy... 6'2 and about 260. I've had nothing but comfort from our CX-9.Currently, my wife and I have amassed about 6,500 miles since we leased ours in February.
    We have pretty good mixed driving between our Mazda6 and our CX-9.

Really, what it comes down to is each person's own personal comfort level, most likely based on unique body characteristics. To generalize that everyone larger in stature will be uncomfortable is misleading and untrue.

ZOOM-ZOOM
    I agree with sranger....I am 5'10" but my glutal area is extremely thin...(don't laugh people I am not trying to be funny)in other words I have no [non-permissible content removed] (forgive the expression) and I did noticed that the seats in the CX 9 are not THAT confortable....but that is me my wife is normal and she had no complaints...I hope that when i buy it I don't have any major problems...
  • satwarsatwar Member Posts: 6
    "The seats in my CX-9 are so uncomfortable to me that I am going to have to sell it after only 1000 miles."

Good warning for all those considering purchase, to extensively test drive, or possibly even rent before buying. Probably a good precaution on any purchase, but this is not the first comment I've read about seating comfort on the CX-9.

How much would the upholstery guy charge to fabricate a new driver's seat. Surely that would be cheaper than taking the hit on selling a new car.
    Well,

I stopped by and talked to the upolstry guy today and I am going to bring it in on Monday mourning. He is going to take the seat bottom apart and see if there is anything wrong with the construction of my seat or any defect in the materials. He felt around on the seat bottom and said that there appeared to be a lot of excess leather behind the two seams where the two colors meet in the seam on the side bolsters. He said that the amount of leather he could feel under the seam seemed unusual. He said it was probably not trimmed off properly before assembly. He thinks that the extra wad of leather might be what is poking into the side of my hips. He did note that he did not feel the same wad of leather on the passenger's seat bottom.

He also suggested adding about 5/8 - 1" of foam in the bottom rear section of the seat. He thinks that I am sinking too far down in the seat at the back and that combined with some excess leather in the seam is causing my discomfort. He said if this is the problem, It would be an easy fix and I should not be able to see any difference in the seat.

I'll let you guys know how it goes...
  • zoomornotzoomornot Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone shed light on when we could expect the 2008 cx-9 to arrive in showrooms?

Dealer in San Jose (Oak Tree) mentioned Nov or Dec 2007. It sounds a bit too late but considering that 2007 entered the market only in Feb, they might be delaying the 2008 entry.

Any reliable info out there?

Also, the dealer mentioned that he already has about 3 orders placed for the new model and requires a $500 down payment.

Is it even a good idea to put money down on a model that is not even seen yet although it wouldn't be much different from the specs posted already and exterior will obviously remain the same as 2007?

Any input ?
    I read that the factory is currently changing over to the new 2008 models and full production is scheduled to start in July. I would expect them to start arriving in the early fall.

The 3.5L -> 3.7L engine change might delay things a little bit...
    Did you see the link below/..it tells you about everuthing about the 2008...except the engine not much change....

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108454
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I think you made the right decision by going to see a upholstery guy: there's no way a mechanic at the dealership would know what to do, they just don't have any experience with it. If you get the work done I would recommend getting the upholstery guy to write a note saying that something was wrong with the seat...maybe you can take your case to the regional Mazda rep so they can cover the cost for you (I know, I know, it's a longshot, but you never know).
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Test Drove the CX-9 couple of days ago and again today. The first time I drove the sport which had 18" wheels. I was very impressed with the handling but the ride was a bit harsh when I specifically drove on a side road with some potholes. Today I drove the GT AWD which had 20" wheels. The ride was softer but the handling was less impressive. Also there was a slightly annoying vibration (shimmy) on the steering wheel at highway speeds - but that could have been because improper tire pressure. But overall I was a little disappointed as the wheel feedback felt less connected. Anyone else felt this difference between the Sport and GT?
    BTW, the only reason I wanted to look at the GT was for the NAV, but the NAV was quite bad - very unintuitive, the display/text were too light and the fonts had too much jagged edges. The one in my 6 yr old Honda was a much better system. The bluetooth setup/integration was a breeze and worked at first attempt with my Moto Q. (But didn't work with my wife's Moto V710)
  • pick145pick145 Member Posts: 1
    I've decided to wait to purchase an '08 GT, but now re-thinking since I just test drove the new Enclave. It is a much quieter/smoother ride than the CX-9. The two vehicles look very similar, but the interior of the Enclave is much more luxurious. Especially the seats. Three choice of color (black, tan and gray) for leather. Also available with second row captain chairs, with the same feature to roll forward as the CX-9. The rear seat has room for three. Specs say its as big as a Tahoe, but with the same MPG as the CX-9. The only draw back, Enclave is about 2k more than CX-9 with same features (GT assist package).
    I'm glad you're trying more before totaly giving up on it... Do keep us posted.