Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    With the exception of the Acura MDX, the 2008 CX-9 has more horsepower than anything else in its class. "

And the GM triplets.... (although the Mazda has more tq)
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Wow very impressive Torque numbers...now the true question is fuel economy...because if it got worse then the 2007 model then they made a mistake otherwise good news.

Within that link was this:
    Fuel Economy Ratings (L/100km)
    4WD-
    City 14.0
    Highway 9.7
    2WD-
    City 13.02
    Highway 9.0

Anyone know how this reads for miles per gallon?...if I had some brainpower this morning I guess I could figure it out, too lazy :-)

B.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    1 kilometer = 62.13712 miles.
    1 Liter = 0.2641721 gallons.

Do the math.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    You, of course, meant 0.6213712 miles :-)
    Of course. This was a test. :blush:

Good catch.
    oh man that hurt my brain...anyhow I think what I came up with
    17/24 for this new engine 4wd....if that is the case that is really awesome...a huge improvement over the other engine.

I mean that is the same mileage for a 2wd Sienna minivan yeah 2wd.

B.
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    if they can pull 24 from this car...that'll be awesome. Should bump it's status immeadiately... I think in time the current model will continue to improve too... not that much but still...
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...some people do not believe that this attainable unless there direct fuel injection..which some believe it will be the next step on future models...and I ask myself then why a 3.7 now?......I can't wait to test drive the 2008 model even though as I see there are a lot of people in different forums complaining about small stuff but irritable enough that for the difference in price with the EDGE i rather stay with the EDGE....I rather have a backup sensor than a tv camera,but that is me...besides with the EDGE I save about $3K....fully loaded
    and lose the 3rd row seat :-P

B.
    ...so be it!!!! ...that is one hell of an expensive seat at $3500 difference in prices....CX 9 GT AWD LOADED and an EDGE AWD SEL+ LOADED...
    I just would never compare the 2...I would compare the Edge to the CX-7. Plus personally not crazy about Ford in general and the reviews on the Edge have been generally not great. Just my opinion. I would not buy a crossover unless it had a 3rd row seat..otherwise I would purchase car.

B.
    TY for that.. the Edge is not in the market with the cx-9... now ...compare the prices between it and the cx-7 then decide...
    You guys could be right I saw the CX 7 and I thought that it was too small..smaller than the EDGE....the 3rd seat in the CX 9 eliminates any space behind it but if you have close it does have a good space behind the 2nd seat...and just a note the engines are the same in the EDGE as in CX 9 ...CX 7 is 4 cyl turbo....CX 9 in 2008 comes with 3.7 engine,as it is rumored that MKX will also.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Forget those rumors, the 2008 MKX will still use the 3.5 engine.
  • njdbonjnjdbonj Member Posts: 11
    I had decided that with all the safety equipment that comes in these cars now, that AWD was a bit of overkill.

So I had settled on a FWD, but I read two separate reviews that mentioned torque steer in the FWD model upon hard acceleration. This was mitigated in the AWD.

Anyone with a FWD model out there, and have you experienced this? Is it pronounced?
    What's your source of information?
  • poof100poof100 Member Posts: 20
    Do you have a CX-9? With the 3rd row seat up, there is still plenty of storage space behind it. We have been able to fit a large suitcase and golf clubs behind the 3rd row with no problem. The CX-9 is wide, so you just put the bags width wise behind the 3rd row. There is NO space behind the 3rd row in the Veracruz though, the Mazda has at least some.

As for the engines, the MKX should have the 3.7L in it for 08. Also, the 3.5 duratec that is in the CX-9 is sourced directly from Ford and shipped to Japan, but Mazda modifies the Intake tract along with a revised engine calibration. The 2 engines are similar but the Mazda is much livelier, especially with the Aisin 6spd compared to that crap that Ford built with GM in the Edge/Acadia.
    ...interesting observations....some one said that no 3.7 for the MKX...I guess we all will know one way or another soon...lol...the space behind the CX 9 is..what can I say?..."small"?....we all look at things differently when we own than when we are shopping, I guess...I am very undicided between the EDGE and the CX 9 08...and money is not a consideration the choice but the fact that I currently lease an 05 EXPI (which it will be the last time that I lease) if I were to select the EDGE things will be easier and probably much cheaper since I can get the X plan in FORD but no S plan in MAZDA...
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    “What's your source of information?”

The links below from Ford shows that both the MKX and the ford Edge will continue to use the 3.5. The first application of a 3.7 in a Lincoln will be in the upcoming MKS sedan. This engine will be different from the Mazda engine in that it will feature Gasoline Direct Injection and twin turbo. Below is more information from the trade magazine 'Automotive News'. If the MKX gets a version of the 3.7 V6 engine, it will not be before the 2009 model year.

DETROIT-- Ford Motor Co. plans to boost fuel economy by rolling out what it calls "twin-force" technology: Two turbochargers on four-cylinder, V-6 and V-8 gasoline engines. Derrick Kuzak, group vice president for global product development, said the technology will deliver diesel-like fuel economy. Diesels offer a 25 to 30 percent gain in fuel economy compared with gasoline engines of the same size.

The first vehicle to use the twin-force technology is the upcoming Lincoln MKS flagship sedan due in 2008. Twin-force engines also will use gasoline direct injection, which increases power, Kuzak said at a press event here.

He said Ford also plans what it calls its power shift transmission, a six-speed automatic that combines features of a manual with an automatic, and variable displacement V-8 engines.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1613&press_section_id=398&make_id=93
    http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1607&press_section_id=398&make_id=92

..interesting.....but I do not believe anything until I see and this apply to all rumors heard....including news from Ford....show me and then I believe it...good info you got..thanks
  • poof100poof100 Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, when we first starting looking at all of the CUVs back in April/May, we thought the CX-9 didn't have much room behind the 3rd row, but after buying it and using it for real world applications, it has plenty of space. We have consistantly transported 6 adults with luggage in the back and no problems, very nice. The Veracruz was very nice, had some nice features, but didn't like the lack of room behind the 3rd row, the lack of bluetooth, HID and Aux input along with the CX-9 driving much better.

My friend who works for Ford has an SEL Edge and she likes it a lot but wishes she had the CX-9. She likes it even more. If I were you, I'd for sure go with the 08 CX-9, but I'm a little biased :)

As for your X plan/S plan dilemma, it actually is all 1 system, and in reality it's still an "X" plan pin #. The S plan pin # I used for our 07 CX-9 really came with an X plan #. The system uses one number, but uses the X plan for Mazdas. It's the same system, so if you can get a X plan pin #, then you should also be able to use it for the S plan on the CX-9. I could forward you the email I got with the generated S/X plan pin #. It actually says congrats on your X plan pin code. I don't see a problem on your side there.

The MKX is supposed to get the 3.7L motor to differentiate Lincoln and the MKX from Ford and the Edge. As of now, there is really no difference between Lincoln and Ford. Cadillac and GM are similar where cadillac gets specific engines only for them do differentiate it from Buick, GM, etc.
  • luvcarzrichluvcarzrich Member Posts: 36
    Ok guys, I'm still shopping (slow since I have a baby to balance).

Drove the CX-9 GT AWD and Enclave, both real nice. Here's my situation:

- Have S plan (as mentioned a while back) so price paid on varies by bonus cash
    - In NO RUSH at all
    - Like them all

What would you do?
    I'm leaning to waiting for the
    un oh... hope you didn lose your balance there... :blush:
    ..Poof100, thanks for the offer, now someone understands my dilema....I can get X plan (family and friends ) from a FORD
    employee friend of mine..so if I read you correctly that number could be use for either x or s plan?...I went to Wayne MAZDA (they are supposed to be the biggest in the country)and very competitive in prices,when I mentioned S plan the said that if I bring my son's s plan pin they will give me s plan pricing on a CX 9 GT AWD loaded the way I want it....my son works for a business partner of FORD and I am afraid to jeopardize his position and maybe the sales people at Wayne MAZDA were just toying with me and try to get me there.Sometimes I dissagree with the pricing a la Saturn but..maybe there is some value to it...soon I will be testing the 08 CX 9 as soon as it arrives...
    Hey SVO - I've been reading alot about X/S plan vs invoice, etc - I'd think they are serious. I've had mixed experiences at Wayne Mazda but I wouldnt fear getting your son in trouble. I have the X/S through my company - I'd bet you $1,000 they (my company) have no clue if anyone uses, tries to uses or even thinks about using the discount...
    I see your point, I have also heard some people that had walk away from them because they use certain tactics in selling..A guy I met in another forum walked away from a good price because they want $280 for doc fees and insist in having the glass etching....actually when one uses x plan in FORD (I don't know abou the S plan with MAZDA) the dealer can not charge you doc fees or anything else like advertising fee as part of the deal,that is why when one uses the x plan by FORD the price is actually below invoice and mind you that if the dealer has a hot selling vehicles some times they refuse to accept X plans at all...what ex[piriences have you had at Wayne Mazda?..
    Yes, I believe you are correct - no extra fees if using X/S plan. I purchased a tribute a while back - there was a bit of pressuring (I guess thats normal) - but we have TONS of problems with the vehicle - eventually it went back under the lemon law - I had to get a laywer and return the car to Ramsey Mazda - the guys at Wayne Mazda seemed reluctant to help me solve my issues. I hear things are different - if you believe their website - their sales people arent on commission!

If you use X/S a good thing is you dont worry about price - so really it doesnt matter where you go. Wayne has the largest selection - but any dealer can probably swap vehicles and get you one from their lot.

I dont think they are allowed to NOT take the S plan. I'd venture a guess that they'd be in hot water with Mazda if they did so. I think Mazda in general can restrict what vehicles it offers the discount - but once offered, I believe every dealer needs to honor.

Good luck
  • rransirransi Member Posts: 11
    I purchased my vehicle under "S" plan. My employer is a member of Ford Paterneship program that offers "X" plan on Ford vehicles and "S" plan for Mazda vehicles.

Here is what I gathered about "S" plan prior to purchase after talking to Mazda corporate office in US.

1) Participation varies from dealer to dealer.
    A particular dealer is not obligated to offer
    vehicles under "S" plan.

2) Dealer "can charge" resonable document fees
    under Mazda "S" plan. They are not supposed to
    do it for Ford "X" plan.

3) Dealer is obligated to show you the official
    invoice with "S" plan price on it.

4) Most discount you get under "S" plan is
    on the base vehicle. Accessories are not
    that much discounted.

5) Mazda "S" plan is applicable only to the
    vehicles "in-stock". If you order something
    customized, dealer is not going to offer
    the "S" plan price.

My local Mazda dealer refused to accept "S" plan price for CX-9 so I went to a dealer 55 miles away from my house and got a fantastic deal on a fully loaded GT AWD CX-9.
    Where are you guys located?...Iam in Nortern NJ (Bergen county)...so any tips are greatly appreciated....and to think that I thought I knew a lot about purchasing cars...whoa!!!...live and learn no matter how old youa re...right?....you see x plan from FORD allows you to order and no additional charges...I have a list that my son provided on the MAZDA S plan...and iy gives you the discounted price on evrything...and evry option all prices are listed and their corresponding discounts...
    Just purchased a Touring CX-9 from Wayne Mazda (sort of). The way around all of this is to negotiate after all fees. That's what I did and I got a good deal, I think. It is a bit confusing to follow.

You are right Wayne charges $199 for etching (already pre-printed on all contracts!) $70 credit inquiry fee (?) $364 reg/title fee (This seems to me to be a bit of a sham. They tell you it covers registration for 4 years and then you sign another piece of paper that says they will refund you the money if it turns out they are overcharging you ????) $269 doc fee.

Anyway, for a Touring that was MSRP $35,105 I was able to pay $35,000 including EVERY LAST PENNY OF ANY AND ALL FEES AND TAXES. (In NJ as you know sales tax comes to well over $2000). That's how I said it when I negotiated.

PS The "sort of" is that as I was leaving (I was to pick up the car in 2 days) they told me at the same time my contract was being worked up the csr was sold to someone else. Now supposedly they will get me the same exact car at negotiated price in 5-7 days. We'll see.

Does all this seem too phony? I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for those 5-7 days.

They are by far the largest dealer in US. Not sure of this is good or bad.
    I am in South Jersey. Maple Shade Mazda was not honoring the "S" plan on CX-9 so on a friend's recommendation, I went to Open Road Mazda in East Brunswick. Very good experience there - excellent customer service.
    That seems bit fishy on part of Wayne Mazda. Let us know if you actually get the same vehicle within 5-7 days.
    The $364 title and registration I think it is correct since the DMV is chareing for 4 years of reistartion,,,my issue is the $199 etching...and the $70 inquiry fee (checking your credit history and the most offensive is the $269 doc fees...the rest is CX 9 price which can be negoiated...lets see if you get a car at the negotiate price...I think not since the 2007 are becoming scarce and they will switch your selection with something similar...watch if you hold your ground we will see driving an 08 from another dealer...but at any rate good luck to you...keppus informed
    You know, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing....I will let you know in a week.
    I wish you all the luck....the difficulty that I find in doing business with MAZDA dealers in NJ is why I am seriously considering dealing with my FORD dealer..they are friendly to me since I have done business with them in the past. If I go to the CX 9 I might go to Manhattan FORD this dealer is a FORD owned store and I can get rid of my leased 05 EXPI and maybe get a fair deal on anm CX9....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Etching is worth zilch - well, in NJ it might be worth $5 or $10. ;) Back when etching was "hot" lots of police departments would do it free once a month or so. And you can buy a diy etching kit for cheap.

Any doc fee over $50 is suspect.

One way to avoid fighting over the line item fees is to focus on your out the door price. See Out The Door (OTD) Pricing questions for more.
    Steve, I agree with your statement about the etching...but doc fees?....there is NOT one dealer in NJ that will charge $50 doc fees (this is the fee the dealership charges for running the errand to the DMV not registration etc)...the out the door price, I agree but it becomes difficult to stay focus,remember that these guys are full time salesmen and we are partime buyers so the odds are in their favor
    Yeah, $50 is way generous for a runner to take some paperwork to DMV. The only way to avoid an excessive doc fee, besides walking out, is to ignore it and just make a deal for the OTD price you think is good.

Salespeople got to eat too, so I don't mind leaving some money on the table. Just not too much. ;)
  • jmailjmail Member Posts: 20
    I bought a cx-9 at manhattan mazda - excellent place with excellent prices. send me an email j.mail555 at verizon.net and I'll tell you who to talk to.
  • dougtap01dougtap01 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my Stormy Blue CX-9 GT from Wayne Mazda last week. I had originally gone in with S-plan PIN towards the end of June and was told they would do even better once I was ready to buy. When I returned several days later, negotiations continued and the S-plan was never actually used at all.

I agree with what others are saying here - that with all the fees, it becomes impossible to understand exactly what your money is truly going for. All I know is that I did my homework, calculating what I thought would be a good monthly rate based on my expected cost for the car and all fees, as well as the current lease values. As long as they hit that number, I no longer care if they put $200 towards the etching, a pedicure, or anything else. Let them play with the numbers however they like to make them work best for their needs.

I, too, needed to wait for a car since they didn't have the color/equipment combo we wanted. This did make me extremely uneasy since I had paid my OOP money and signed a contract, but realized there was nothing that set a deadline for this waiting. Just about 10 days later, though, I did have my car, so I'd be optimistic.

Funny thing is that I wound up with a car that MazdaUSA online inventory had listed with Wayne Mazda since before I signed at the end of June. I do wonder if they delayed the sale on purpose just to pocket the $500 Mazda is offering now. Again, though, I'm not sweating it since I was willing to pay the price I paid in June before that was available.

FWIW, it is an AWD GT with moonrrof/Bose, roof rails, mud guards, mats, etc., 24 month lease, 10,500 miles/yr for $475/month, with $1000 out of pocket (which includes first month).
    ..Mr Host, I tell you that here in the NY/NJ/CT area you will never find a dealer that will charge $50 for the service. It used to be that way 10 or more years ago but no today.The cheapest I have seen is about $125.00 and I bet there are a lot of people out there that can vouch for me...and as far as making deals out the door....don't forget what I said a bout part time buyers...these guys will wear you down even at the last minute..the funny part is that the money is not for the sales people but for the dealers themselves the sales people wont see a peeny beyond theit commisions..
    So don't negotiate the fee - just go for the OTD price.

If they try to tack it on at the end of the deal, walk. There's another dealer in the next block, town or county.

And you can call me Steve. :shades:
    ...I bet that you are correct!..they do play and they know how.I agree when you lease the waters become more cloudy still since you are dealing with money factors etc...and yes at that point even though it is not recommended you should try to get a bottom line that yu can live with and move on otherwise it will take for ever to geta car..godd luck and enjoy the CX9
    I agree, I think sometimes we(buyer) think we got one over on them (dealer) but it is hard to know which way is up. Negotiating from OTD price is the way to go. I'm glad you got your car.....10 days.......I think I would get cold feet and pull out before then. I can find the car somewhere else myself by that time.
    This OTD business does not sound good to me...to me it gives the dealer's boys all kinds of opportunities to screw around with you....speciallu when one is dealing with leases..besides what is wrong with knowing exactly what is the price of the vehicles (your offered price vs the MSRP) and then you can figure out the rest ...taxes...DMV etc...I think this way those extra charges come right infront of you and if you want to negotiate the doc fees and lets say the etching or what ever other item they want to add you do..
    JMAIL, I did send you an email...I hope you saw it...in case you come back here is my email...svofan1@optonline.net

Thanks
  • eva2deva2d Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I am looking at the same car GT AWD CX-9. I would love the 2008, but not sure if I can wait. Wayne IS the only dealer in the country advertising the 2008's and claim they will have in stock by end of month beginning of Aug at the latest. As I am new to some of the lingo, please help me understand what the S-plan is.
    Thanks
    Wayne Mazda is the largest dealer in the country...and they do carry some clous in getting the cars..I don't doubt that they will one of the first ones with 08...S plan is a special pricing under a plan for people that work in companies that do business with Mazda(FORD also)...
    Called them today and they have about 15-20 2008 CX 9 in stock...yes they are the largest in the country and prtobably in the World..they sella lot of Mazdas...sometimes their selling tactics could use some polishing but hey, that is our job as consumers , to try to get the best possible deal and for them to try to get the most monies out of us consumers..
    Mr Steve Host is correct. I called my insurance co. (in NJ) and if a car comes with an alarm then you don't get a penny off your premium for etching!