Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "All in all a good choice if you want reasonable handling, comfort and the knowledge that being hit by an 18 wheeler will result in a walk away situation." ((

Uh-huh... ;)
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Hello bornracer,

You seem to have forgotten two cars to try out. Or did you just forget to tell us about them?

The 3-Series:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Or the coupe version:

I love the coupe a lot!
    I guess you are partial to sedans.
    Did you overlook BMW because of it popularity?
    They are very good drivers cars in my opinion, but others may have different priorities to me.

And the Audi A4:
    A stunningly beautiful car if there ever was one--with unbelievable interiors and build quality.

I personally very much have liked the Audi for quite a long time. I think it is simple and elegant, well-built and suitable for anyone who doesn't want what everybody else has.
    Audis are the industry benchmark for interiors, period.

I am interested to know why you didn't check out those two. You seem to be a very meticulous person, and I find your review very helpful to ponder. So I am just curious about whether or not you researched those cars, and what your opinion of them is.

If your time-frame is this week, I do not suspect you could wait around for the segment's newest entrant which will debut in January and be on sale by the fall:

2008 Cadillac CTS

This car in its present iteration was so popular that unlike those of any other model (in any brand--ever really), sales met forecasts in its first year and then rose 100% and stayed there consistently year after year. It is still selling at that rate this year even though its replacement is coming soon; that is how popular it is.

Here is the replacement model--

If you are willing to wait, you should check that out--although it will be so popular, you won't be able to get any for less than full price for quite a while--if ever.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    thanks for the info. but, i would think this would hurt fuel economy, no?
    The warm-up operational decisions the engineers made to minimize cold engine emissions were driven by the need to meet EPA mandates - and coincidental fuel economy improvements are not in the EPA's charter. Ironic, isn't it, that motorists find themselves having to burn more of an increasingly scarce (expensive), strategic commodity largely controlled by powers, at best, neutral and at worst, hostile, to Western interests to achieve ever declining improvements in air quality. You're not alone in seeing a fundemental paradox at play.
    i am totally bewildered by the function of the is cruise control. i'm hoping mine is wired wring.

when i turn on the cruise control, the cruise light turns on. when i activate the cruise control, nothing changes. the light tells me the system is on, but i have no idea whether the car is being controlled by the system or not. all other cars i have driven (never owned a toyota so maybe i never experienced this before), a light turns on to tell you the system is being controlled. in my opinion, it doesnt matter if the system is on or not, what is of interest is whether the car is controlled. anyone other than me share this opinion?
  • fl_xy001fl_xy001 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I was the only one confused about IS 350 cruise control.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Having owned 7 Toyota and Lexus vehicles over the years, I can tell you that they have all had the same cruise control system since at least 1995. They have all worked great.

I've always been able to tell if it is "engaged" without having to see an indicator light. Just take your foot of the gas. ;)
    You beat me to essentially the same response. (Except I would've added the invective, "Duhh...") ;)
  • achan618achan618 Member Posts: 9
    After one month with my 2007 Lexus IS 250 RWD, the panel on the passenger side under the glove compartment popped out. Did this happen to anyone else's car? I am wondering if this is a defect in other Lexus IS 250's. I plan on taking my car back to the dealership to fix, but am doing a little research.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I think that's the knee airbag cover, you should take it back to the dealer for them to fix it as soon as possible.
  • tpirkletpirkle Member Posts: 1
    How do I change out burnt out lights in overhead panel IS300. Why do my high beams not work (bulbs are okay ) but my high beam indicator shows high beam on dash board ? 2002 IS300 hand me down.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I completely understand what you mean by this.
    I'm driving my first Lexus, and am coming from
    a 2002 Maxima. The Maxima had an extra indicator in the instrument panel to indicate
    if the cruise control button was turned on and
    an indicator if the cruise control was engaged.

It took a short while for me to get used to this, but I can live with it, although I do
    miss having that feature.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Frankly, I found it kind of strange at first
    when I couldn't tell if the cruise control had
    engaged on my Lexus RX, and as I took my foot off the accelerator, the speed dropped on the car. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to add an extra indicator in the instrument panel for this function. I think it makes more sense that way.
  • steveb30steveb30 Member Posts: 4
    I’m sure this is in the owner’s manual and I’m just being stupid but sometimes I find the Lexus manual hard to navigate and understand. The “change oil” message has come up on the display screen on my wife’s 250 AWD and I’m planning on having it changed next week. In the meantime I’d just like to have the message gone. How do I turn that off for another 5,000 miles?
    Other than that we’ve had the car for 10K miles and love the car. :shades:
    now that its gotten cold in the northeast i am experiencing something odd. in my is250 my left foot is always cold. heat works, right foot is fine. left foot is cold, even seems to be a bit of a draft from that area. anyone had a similar experience?
  • danil34danil34 Member Posts: 11
    need help---i'm torn between buying a manual Is 250 vs the honda s2000. trading in my bmw 328i....i'm 41-no kids, live in north texas whre it's hot 8-9 months of the year.
    i drive short distances in the city except for a monthly 5 hr trip to houston. love the feel of the s2000, but concerned about the blind spot on the left when the top is up--eg.driving in houston at 70-80mph and trying to change lanes..any suggestions greatly appreciated*

I own an S2000 and will get an IS250 as a second daily car.
    Wont give up my S2000 for anything. S2000 is a marvelous car, drives like a dream and turns a lot of heads.
  • steveb30steveb30 Member Posts: 4
    I finally figured it out. You have to hold the trip-odometer button while turning the ignition to "on".
  • jimjaijimjai Member Posts: 22
    Hi, I just picked up my Lexus IS250 AWD, after driving 6 miles into High Way I got an Exclimation mark on the display and says "Check System" and there's another indictor on the bottom right of the display. I look in the manual and it says there's a malfunction in the tire or something. So I called up the Dealer that sold me the Lexus and he spoke with his manager, they said that because the weather is cold outside that's why it is giving me that signal. Have anyone ever experience this problem before? please help me
    is it normal that the heated seats are not terribly warm? ive been in vehicles where you can fry eggs on the seats. in the IS - slightly lukewarm. is this normal?
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    The exclamation is the tire pressure sensor warning (basically, the car thinks one or more tires is too low)

The answer the sales guy gave you is BS & CRAP (just so you know)

here's what to do:

1) When tires are cold, inflate them to the proper pressure (this is subjective- NEVER INFLATE to the number on the sidewall - this is MAXIMUM Pressure) most people like 32-35 lbs per tire.
    If the car has been driven for more than a few miles, the tires will be hot (you need to ADD air approx 4 lbs per tire to get the proper COLD inflation pressure 32+4=36 or 35+4=39)
    Remember as air gets hot, it expands and pressure will increase

After you have inflated the tires, look in the manual on how to set/initialize the tire pressure monitor sensors - you will want to make it the MAIN set of tires. I think you get to MAIN and hold the button until it beeps to set/initialize the sensors.

If after you complete this procedure, the message re-appers shortly or immediately, then there is a larger problem:
    *defective tire pressure sensor (WARRANTY)
    *nail/gash in tire (NOT WARRANTY)
    *bent rim or lip of rim not sealing properly (NOT WARRANTY (bent rim)/should be taken care of no charge(reseal tire to bead)

Hope this helps & good luck!!!
    Yeah - normal (unfortunately)

My BMW seats get so hot, it does burn your butt

My Lexus, gets warm.

Must be a Japanese thing cause same thing happened with our '00 Acura TL

The Germans know a thing or 2 about heat!!
  • jerry kjerry k Member Posts: 45
    You may think that was a funny comment but I take complete offense to that remark as I am sure others do as well. That is still a very sensitive subject!
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I had the same thing a month ago and got the same explanation. They checked the tire condition and air pressure - nothing wrong.

The error did not repeat.
  • 4mrturbo4mrturbo Member Posts: 3
    This is by far the worst car I have ever owned, Please if you have problems with the smart key let me know. Key not detected while driving, Key Not detected when starting the car, Backup camera coming on while going forward and more. Please shoot me an email if you have or had issues.
    do you have a 2006? what is the build date on your vehicle? if really early in cycle could be 1st year blues
    Its an 06 and its been in sevice over eight times already with no fix.
    What type of problem(s) r u having?

maybe you need to find a different dealer with more qualified techs?

It's ALL about the Knowledge of the tech who looks at your car.

Think of this: Would you prefer your family physician or a 1st year med student intern to give YOU a physical??
    Or better yet: how about letting your gardener do your carpentry/painting job?

If you are still having problems at your local dealer, try another one, you just might be surprised.

SKIP
    Would the Lemon Law apply here?
  • cincyracegirlcincyracegirl Member Posts: 8
    Wow! I have had absolutely NO problems with my 06 IS250. I love it. Maybe you need to try a different dealer?!?!
    :shades:
  • ux149ux149 Member Posts: 18
    My wife has owned her IS250 for nine months (3,800 miles) and has taken it in twice for the tire pressure warning light even when the pressure measured fine, and twice for "Check VSC" for which the response was "Fuel System Too Rich, Bank One" both times. The dealer told her this last visit that with her driving only 4 to 12 miles per trip, the engine wasn't warming up enough and that she would have this problem as long as she owns the car! If the warnings didn't block out all the data (outside temp, etc.) she wouldn't care. But she can't believe that a car cannot be used for short trips only.
    In the first 1,800 miles we had one false tire pressure warning light. However, my wife makes mostly very short trips but did not have the same warning light.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Your dealer is useless now. It's time to call Lexus. Insist on a factory rep to inspect the car.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    from the board.

I am thinking of purchasing a used IS300, in the 2001 ~ 2003 MY range. I am trying to find information on reliability, maintenance and repair costs, service (as in if the repairs are completed correctly the first time, multiple visits for nickel/dime repairs), fuel mileage, overall fit & finish of the cars, what things to look for so that I can avoid a money pit.

My research has been hit or miss, can't really get any information. Can any of you provide thoughts on your vehicles and sites/groups that may have the information I'm looking for?

Thanks.
  • freebird2000freebird2000 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone else with this problem? I got my 250 four days ago. It's now got 114 miles on it. The MPG calculator on the dash is showing that I'm getting an average of 13 MPG! Hello? Is that thing broken or what? i have done only city driving in LA so far, but seriously, my average speed is like 12mph. I think the MPG should be better than 13 MPG. Is it because the engine is new? Could this be because the the dealer did not use premium when they filled it up before i took delivery? i have not filled it up yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Jason
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should run at least 3-4 tankfuls of gas through the car before you have even a remote idea of gas mileage. It's way too soon to judge. Wait a month, keep a record, and let us know how you do. A complaint about this would be premature I think.
  • ricksterqricksterq Member Posts: 45
    I've looked for a post on this topic but haven't found one yet, so, I'll go ahead and create this here.

I've had my IS250 AWD for almost a year now. I first noticed this about a month ago. I was on my way somewhere and happened to glance down at the nav system. I noticed that it had me out in the middle of "who-knows-where", USA. I'm not sure when this happened. I had been driving for like 15 minutes before I glanced down at the map. Also, I noticed that my car icon was intermittently shifing over about 1/4 of an inch or so then would jump back to where it was. Also, the selected region for some reason changed on me to the southeast when I originally had the Colorado region selected. When I got back home I did the manual calibration of the nav system (which I don't think is a precise way to calibrate it at all) and called the dealer. Anyway, I took it in and they said there was some service bulletin on this issue and said they were replacing the NAV DVD. I believe I checked before the maintenance and after and the DVD version was 5.1, so I'm not sure what they did. Anyway, fairly soon after I left the dealership I noticed that the nav system once again had me nowhere near where I actually was. I wrote this off to the replacing of the NAV DVD, but I figured they would've at least calibrated the thing for me. So, I manually calibrate the thing again and it didn't take longer than a day for the nav system to get lost again.

So, has anyone had this problem with their nav systems?

Other than that, I've had some dash rattles, intermittent squeeking coming from the moonroof when in the tilt position (I notice it over bumpy roads) and the vibrating rear-view mirror when the moonroof is completely open.

I know some people may think I'm asking too much to have a car that doesn't rattle, but all I'm asking for is something that I've gotten in every other CHEAPER car that I've owned. I don't think it's too much to ask the manufacturer to make a car that doesn't rattle when I drive it off the lot.
  • jwarner2jwarner2 Member Posts: 1
    Do you live or were you driving near any U. S. Government site? Here in Washington, D. C., especially near the Pentagon the Nav systems will at times do the same thing. They will block satellite signals near major installations.
    After 5 dealers could not fix the car and dealing with attorneys they now have to take the car back. Hope you guys don’t have to deal with this as its no fun.
  • ps99472ps99472 Member Posts: 28
    Bought our IS250 a few weeks ago and noticed that while driving this orange circle appears/lights up inside the speedometer randomly and then disappears.. this occurs on freeways and local driving and during all conditions (different speeds, braking, car in front, car behind, etc.) anyone know what it means? did a quick thumb through of the manual but only saw it mentioned for cruise control.. but then it said both circles would light up inside speedometer and tach. any help would be appreciated
  • kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    Its not random, its user set .... for both the Speedo and Tach ..... buttons on the lower left, on dash below the steering wheel.

KC
  • rostregarostrega Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my is 250 dealer performed alligment with tire rotation on it but it did not help at all. Could you tell me if you were able to resolve it and if yes how? Even if you did not fixed it please let me know of outcome on this.
    Thank you
  • flyhawkflyhawk Member Posts: 1
    I bought Lexus IS 250 AWD three weeks ago and unfortunately hit the curb during a night drive. The rim looks like severely scratched. There is also rattle in the dash after the accident which is worrisome.

Does warrant cover any of these? I have comprehensive insurance with Geico but not sure if it is worth the money($550 to replace a rim) to file the claim. Any advice?

The service department in Ray Catena Lexus @ Larchmont is not that helpful so far about this. Called them about the problem and they do not even want to talk about it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's an insurance issue (the wheel). The rattle might be warranty-related as long as you don't associate it with the accident.

Generally speaking, I have been told that an insurance claim which is your fault is only worth the risk of gradually raised rates over the course of a few years if it meets or exceeds something like $1,500. Don't know if that's accurate but it sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb.

The dealer could certainly be more helpful in having your wheel repaired or ordering you a new one.
    assume the dash rattle is not accident related. i have an 06 and have more rattles in the dash than i would think i would have in a Lexus
    noticed a couple of chips missing from my front bumper area a few months back. today, noticed one missing from ben hind the rear door driver side (plastic area). did you know its brown - on a sliver car sticks out. Anyway, the car is 6 months old - seems odd. is there any sense in complaining to the dealer?
  • beachguybeachguy Member Posts: 10
    Test drove the 350 recently and was very pleased except for the transmission. The shifts were not that smooth and crisp as I would expect. Perhaps this was the demo car only. The car had about 250 miles on the OD which were likely hard miles.Any thoughts on on this issue.
  • carhunter3carhunter3 Member Posts: 11
    The orange light is to let you know when you've hit a certain speed. I guess mine was factory set at 75MPH cause that's when it goes off. It's a nice reminder that you may be exceeding the speed limit a bit too much.
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Member Posts: 32
    I recently upgraded my rotors to Centric slotted rotors and changed the pads to Centric PosiQuiet pads. The new pads produce far less the dust and perform great. Rims look decent even after a week's worth of city driving.
    lexus has expanded the TSB for excessive brake dust to include 2006-2007 IS250 models.
    Do you have anything more specific on the TSB? We have the same brake dust problem on our 2006 IS250.