Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

1234568»

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054
    I read with interest anyone's post about a relatively-recent car with premature pad and rotor wear.

GM warranties 'pads and linings' for 12K miles, but does not exclude rotors; hence, I have had rotors resurfaced and also replaced free, up to 40.8K miles (goodwill gesture at that point). I'm amazed when I read that even some GM dealers are not aware of GM's warranty on rotors, simply lumping them in with "pads and linings". I also have seen a GM TSB advising dealers to consider replacing pads for free if they are needed before 24K miles.

I recently bought a 2008 Chrysler product used, and the warranty is adamant that rotors are only warrantied for 12K miles, and also that the powertrain warranty isn't transferrable to subsequent owners (like GM's can). Who'da thunk that the Satan of auto manufacturers, GM, has had stronger warranties than many more looked-up-to brands?
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • amojebaamojeba Member Posts: 17
    Wow, I can't beileve some of you guys are defending Honda. The company would be lucky to have you as their spokesperson - "Honda, we make a crappy product now, but we're riding on our reputation built over the last couple decades." Good for you guys.

I, for one, am extremely irritated. A company that does not stand behind their product, even in the face of numerous documented cases, and just signs a partial settlement where they admit no wrongdoing and only pay for part of the brake job (for only the 1st brake change) - how can anyone have respect for such a company?
    I guess they're really not looking for repeat business anymore. Those of you that own 2004, or 2006 models, that's great, you lucked out. But you're not really in a position to judge those of us who have to do deal with the 08-09 (and early 2010) models that are experiencing these issues - and will continue to experience these issues for a 5 year car finance term.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm not judging your desire to sell; I don't even blame you. I do however think it absurd to buy European to ensure low-cost and reliability. Those things (European vehicles and a very quiet repair history) are mutually exclusive, generally.

I'm not defending Honda. I find it dumb that my rear-view mirror glass fell off after 1,000 miles, and my CD changer had to be replaced at 36k miles, but in general, Asian makes are better (and cheaper to maintain) in reliability than Europeans.

Perhaps you should look at the Fusion?
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Own a 2008 Accord LX-P, no brake or any other problems over 27,500 miles and perfectly satisfied with a magnificent vehicle.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I guess I'm with "thegraduate" on this analysis - I totally understand why a bad brand experience would make you want to avoid the brand altogether. I've had a similar experience myself.

But going to a European brand to avoid costs associated with maintenance doesn't add up mathematically. That's where I don't get it. I bought a vehicle from a manufacturer with whom I've had good reliability experiences. I paid about $20K (slightly used). I've had it for 75K miles, and, being generous, I've spent no more than $2,500 for maintenance over that time. Anyone can change the oil in it - no specialty oil, parts, or anything. Would I have been better off with a Euro brand, for which I'd have paid over $30,000, plus the $2,000 extended maintenance contract, after which all the maintenance is "free"? That doesn't make sense to me.

And I've owned a Euro brand or two. Never again, or not soon - want to see high-cost repairs, and shops that say, "well, that's just a known fault of these cars" every time you have a major electrical failure? Then Euro is for you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I generally would agree with you regarding the reliability of asian cars - that's all I've ever owned (toyota, nissan, honda). I would agree with you, up until now that is.

Perhaps a german car would be considered slightly more overpriced. But an entry level BMW 3 costs what, $32k, thereabouts (if you negotiate it right). And they take care of it for 4 years / 50,000 miles for free. Should you CHOOSE to buy an extended coverage plan, they can go up to 100,000 miles / 6 yrs (but we won't talk about that in our example).

It sounds like your vehicle has already had certain costs associated with it. I know mine is just beginning with its costs. If you factor what appear to be "small" maintenance costs, over a 4 year term, I think you'll find that a Honda ends up costing a lot closer to a BMW than you might think.

Plus factor in that a Honda shouldn't cost anywhere near a BMW - since a BMW is a luxury car, and a honda is just a sedan (a quality japanese sedan, albeit, but still a sedan). You might as well add an additional $2-3k to your Honda invoice price before you drive it off the showroom floor. Not to mention the aggrevation of dealing with it, the poor customer service everyone is complaining about, the lack of a complimentary loaner car while they work on it, having to take time off work to deal with it, etc etc.
    What's the true cost of ownership for an Accord nowadays? Certainly a lot higher than it used to be.
    I'm by no means a BMW fan boy, in fact I never really was a fan of their cars. But my friends own them and love them. I never really understood why. But there's something to be said for a company that takes care of its customers, and works to earn repeat business. I'm using them as an example of a company that stands behind their product, and builds it with quality. Do you think BMW would put out such a defective brake system, if they had to fix it for free every 12k miles as part of the included maintenance plan? I think not. But Honda was fine with it, and still refuse to admit fault, because they figure we'll just deal with it and pay for it out of our own pockets.
    Are they trying to sell you ONE car and they're done? Or are they selling you a Quality Brand for life?
    I guess it depends who you're buying from.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited August 2010
    You're right. Nothing is ever free but it sure sounds good!

They simply roll the expected prices of repairs into the price of the car!
    Kirstie - I never said a BMW was cheaper. But you get more value for your purchase.
    By all means a BMW DOES cost more. It SHOULD - it's a luxury car. But how much you paid for it, versus the quality you get from it, is what I'm evaluating here.
    I guess I should have stated that I own an Infiniti. I was simply saying that I got good value without having to pay extra to have the maintenance costs rolled into the purchase price. In fact, I came out ahead.

Some people prefer to have it all in one package, and I understand that - that's how "all-inclusive" resorts work as well - you end up spending more at the outset for a zero out-of-pocket expense later, and a know, fixed cost. Nothing wrong with it!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    First, I don't think there will be a recall on the brake issue. I think recalls are for "Safety" related issues. The early brake pad wear is a wear issue, not a "Safety" issue. The brakes, even if they wear early, still work.

I do all my own maintenance and any repairs I can handle, so the extended service contracts some companies offer would be useless to me. I've been driving Accords (92 and 03) since 91, and I have had reliable service from both of them. The rear pads on the 03 did wear a little early. I changed the rear pads at 47k miles, and the front pads at 60k. The only repair, I've paid for on the 03, in 7 years and 80k miles, is a door lock actuator (less than $40), I'm sure, if my brakes were worn at 20k miles, and I had to take my car to the dealership for service, I would have some complaints too.

I think all car companies make lemons, but I do think some companies have a better track record in that department. I hang around quite a few Honda forums, and you don't have to look very hard to find complaints about any car, including the 03 V6 model I own (automatic transmission failures, brake problems, rattles, alignment issues etc.). Maybe I'm just lucky, and pick the good ones, but I'm certainly not down on Honda at this point. It's nice to have 1 car I don't have to consistantly work on. Good luck with your Accord, and hopefully your next set of brake pads will last much longer. I think you should wait and see if the new pads work, before you just write the company off over $50.
    I appreciate your perspective, and you are right about every car company making lemons...some with fewer, some with more. And I wholeheartedly agree that although some people will complain about everything, that Honda generally had a good track record. I've owned japanese cars all my driving career, and my family has had several Honda Accords, all with no problems (including a 91, and a 2006) - all have / were excellent.

My 09 Accord, however, is a different story. Honestly I don't care as much about the brake problem itself (although it does peeve me), I'm more upset that they won't admit any wrong doing, saying "well that's what it is" and after being SUED, offer a lame one time $150 - and you're on your own from there. Not a good way to build customer loyalty in my opinion. A family that has 3 Accords (still own 2 currently) - that will never purchase another one again. Multiply that by thousands of households in America (hopefully who are smart enough not to buy again after this experience) is quite a few "loyal" customers they will be losing out on.

I disagree with you on 1 point - brakes ARE a safety concern and should be recalled based upon that. If you can't depend on a reasonable amount of Brake wear/tear, then it's considered a safety issue. We're not talking about how quickly the floor mats wear out, or if the paint fades too quickly. No one dies if the paint fades. But if the brakes fail to engage properly, then we have a problem.
    edited August 2010
    If your brakes fail to stop the car, that would be a safety issue, IMO. I think you would hear a lot of warning signs (squealing/grinding sounds) before early pad wear would become a safety issue. Have your brakes failed to stop the car, or does the car have other problems? It seems to me you are ready to condemn Honda for having to pay $50 for new pads at 12k miles. Seems like a minor issue at this point. Maybe I don't know the whole story.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2010
    """A family that has 3 Accords (still own 2 currently) - that will never purchase another one again. Multiply that by thousands of households in America (hopefully who are smart enough not to buy again after this experience) is quite a few "loyal" customers they will be losing out on"""

After having multiple Honda's with few problems to abandon the entire brand due to this is just plain silly.

Having personally owned 3 Accords (two with the brake problem - an 08 and 09) I have no problem buying Honda in the future, nor does my mother who is on her third Accord (08).

My father traded his problematic Ford Ranger for a 2009 Ridgeline and I just purchased 2011 CR-Z.

When you compare Honda to other brands with their respective problems, known issues, resale value and long term reliability records -

Honda is still your best choice and will continue to be a sales leader.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    You do realize that when you pay more for that BMW, your paying more for those faulty sensors and electrical glitches they are known for ;)

Point is, every auto manufacturer has quality or technical issues, no matter how expensive they are, and hence issues TSBs, recalls, etc to try and fix them. Some, won't step up though when there is a widespread issue though.

Just b/c your paying extra for that BMW or Infiniti, Audi, etc doesn't mean your not going to have a problem. I've seen recalls already posted for several 2010 and 2011 BMW models for sensors.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I think I get plenty of value with my '06 Civic...one doesn't need to buy a German luxo car to get value...this is a subjective quality at the very least. We have 4 Asian models in our current stable and I think we get tremendous value with them...so I don't understand your BMW statement. If my Civic had these brake issues, I'd be pissed off also but each model in a company is different, so making a blanket statement wouldn't work for me.

My last Nissan had such a problem that once the warranty ended, the car was gone. But my kid bought one last year & it's been flawless to date. Great car & fun to drive. I gave Nissan another chance and things are fine!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I think I get plenty of value with my '06 Civic...one doesn't need to buy a German luxo car to get value...this is a subjective quality at the very least. We have 4 Asian models in our current stable and I think we get tremendous value with them...so I don't understand your BMW statement. If my Civic had these brake issues, I'd be pissed off also but each model in a company is different, so making a blanket statement wouldn't work for me.

My last Nissan had such a problem that once the warranty ended, the car was gone. But my kid bought one last year & it's been flawless to date. Great car & fun to drive. I gave Nissan another chance and things are fine!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    edited August 2010
    It sounds like your vehicle has already had certain costs associated with it.

Actually, no. I just paid $48 for a transmission fluid change 64k miles. Air filters (cabin filter and engine air filter), 20 bucks, @30k and 60k miles. I put tires on the car at 50k, high performance Bridgestones at $576 mounted and aligned. Oil changes cost $30 every 7k miles or so. That's it, honestly. Does BMW pay for tires?

My maintenance costs have amounted to less than $1,000 in 57 months and 64k miles. I think that's quite good.
    Same with my '06 Civic...1 set of tires, front brakes, 5 oil changes with the 1st 2 being free, an air filter & a set of wipers in the last four years...a pretty inexpensive deal for a great car! Will not hesitate to buy another Honda...very satisfied customer!

• johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Anyone have info regarding squeaky brakes on a 2010 accord coupe. My were making noises for a while before I went to the dealer who said I needed all new brakes and the rotors needed to be resurfaced. BTW the car had 8200 miles when the work was performed! I'm not hard on brakes and hope this doesn't occur again. Dealer stated that the brakes must have been defective.
  • woody_onuwoody_onu Member Posts: 5
    Can you determine if it is front or rear brake noise? If not, try gently applying your emergency brake while driving (in a safe spot). If you hear no noise, it's probably a front brake issue. Otherwise, you should hear the noise when applying the emergency brake. If it's due to front brakes, there is a TSB out addressing this which should be covered by warranty (also addressed front brake judder). I had mine done at no cost to me. Not sure what exact work the TSB recommended. Mine (2009 Accord sedan- 4 cyl) started squealing at 3,000 miles. If it's rears, it's probably the premature wear issue, although 8200 miles sounds a little premature for that. I have 27000 miles on mine and still haven't had to replace the rears, although I probably will have to by 35 to 40K miles. Good luck.
  • johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the reply. Yes 8200 miles is awful low for new brakes and rotor cuts. It was front brakes only and dealer repaired for free. Hopefully if was just defective pads causing the problem and I hope it doesn't repeat.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I have a relevant post over in the 2008 maintenance discussion thread. I've had LOTS of problems with the front brakes on my 08 4-cyl EX-L. Like yours, my problems started right at 8K when I first noticed that the rotors were warping. I had my first front brake job at 12k (machined rotors and work on th pads) and have had identical problems every 10-15k since. I now have 50k on my 08 Accord and it is due for it's 4th front-end brake job. Like you, I'm easy on my brakes, driving 80-85% level highway miles.

Before this most recent problem, I had all the work done at my dealership and they did everything under warranty. However, at 50k, they told me they can no longer do courtesy warranty work and so I called Honda of America. Just last week Honda agreed to help me out. They are going to pay for all new rotors and back brake pads (the back pads are replaced under the recall). I will pay for the front pads and they will cover all labor costs. Unfortunately, I had to be VERY persistent in order for them to agree to do this for me. Of course, all front pads and rotors have already been replaced once, so I have no doubt that this whole thing will happen again in 10-15k miles. At that point, it's either a new vehicle for me, or a totally new, after-market brake package.
    You could have callipers that are sticking (not completely releasing or not sliding on the pins). If so, the callipers will ruin any rotors you put on the car, aftermarket or oem. Since not all 08 Accords have front brake problems, I think you either have bad callipers, or your brakes are not being assembled correctly. Aftermarket rotors and pads may not solve your problem. Or maybe you are one of those people who likes to ride with your foot on the brake pedal.
    Nope... definitely not a brake rider :) Your point is good and it is something I have mentioned to the dealership's mechanics every time I've been in for new brakes! Brakes warp because of heat (but see the note below :) )...so SOMETHING is causing heat!!! Friction is the only source of that heat! Unfortunately, the mechanics have checked the calipers every time and have taken them apart, lubricated the works and re assembled everything. I can understand their frustration, it seems that there is nothing wrong...and yet those rotors warp every 10-15k. :(

I did have a very interesting conversation with a Honda mechanic after my 2nd brake job. He asked if I was rotating my tires every time I took the car in for an oil change. I said yes. (I drive almost all highway miles and so I go 8k between oil changes). He explained a theory he has: If the wheel bolts are not evenly torqued every time the tires are rotated, he thinks the act of braking might put sufficiently uneven torque on the brake parts to stress and warp things. Interesting........ Of course, his dealership has always been responsible for torquing those bolts! I'd ben interested to hear if anyone else has heard this theory and if it holds any water.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2010
    It's recommended that you evenly torque lug nuts to avoid rotor warpage. Sadly the most I've seen shops go to lately are to use the torque extension bars on the air wrench, instead of the more accurate torque wrench for the final tightening.

Some vehicles seem to be very prone to warped rotors. I drove a co-workers company Chevy Uplander with less than 30k on it, and it shook like crazy on a moderate stop from high speed. On the other hand, I brake hard and often on a 2003 Astro AWD Cargo Van (due to transfers, this is the third one I've been a driver of), and haven't encountered a warped rotor issue (they are four wheel disc, believe it or not).

My 08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan has a mild case, even though the dealer did the front brakes (pads and turn rotors) a few thousand miles ago for the same issue (gratis).

It just looks like the gen8 has some weak links in it - brakes, vcm vibes, and other design boo boos. About all one can do is ignore the issue unless its unsafe, fix fix fix, or trade. Could be the brakes are undersized for the amount of heat being generated due to the cars weight, or the factory rotors are too light to save weight and cost, therefore overheating. Note also that most modern car rotors can only be turned once or twice (some not even that) and be above the min thickness allowed.

I've had to get rid of more than one car due to issues the dealers couldn't fix. Two rain water leakers (one of which has a host of other ills), and one with an minor electrical issue the dealer was failing at fixing.
    This is undoubtedly an unfair question, but I'd love to know what you think of my Accord problems and whether you would get rid of my vehicle. Unlike your car, the rotors on my car have warped EVERY 10-15k miles! I fist noticed the problem when I had only 8k on the car! Right now, at 50500 miles, it has been 16k since my last brake job (which included brand new front rotors) and the shaking is getting severe, rather than simply minor or irritating. And, I'm not driving the damn car down hills or doing ANY hard braking. They just continue to warp!!!

With Honda's participation, I will replace all 4 rotors and all the pads next week. Frankly, I'm tempted to get the new brakes, find a new car I like and trade the damn thing in while the brakes are still in good shape! Between the brakes, mediocre handling, absolutely insufficient low-end torque, road noise and, most of all, the 1st-graderesque automatic transmission, I'd LOVE to get ride of this nice looking p.o.s.! :)
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2010
    Looked back at the earlier post - it indicates you have an 08 Accord EX-L with 50,500 miles. When you drive that kind of mileage, it's very hard to ignore things, as you get reminded every day. I am ignoring the shakes on mine at this time. Back in 1992 I bought a new Dodge Dakota extended cab, and traded it in 8mo/12k miles later - and got my first import car (93 Honda Accord EX 5sp, Rosewood Brown Metallic - first one was the best too).

So you've taken that big depreciation hit that happens on a new car, and are driving about double the 'average' yearly miles (i used to do that too before the company van).

If you intend to trade it, IMO now is the time. Once you get to around 60k miles it will get into the high mileage bracket and result in the dealer sending it to auction, instead of trying to retail it on the used car lot (could reduce the bargaining room on trade in).

Financially, it usually makes the most sense to keep and maintain the car until it is so old that it needs a very major repair equal to the book value, then scrap it for parts. Because you loose on the trade-in, and get hit with another new car's first year depreciation.

Personally, when I was driving that type of mileage, I traded every two years around the 50k mark. But that is due mostly to liking new cars, and luckily having a job that allows the luxury. Since getting a company van for commuting, I still am trading about every three years. My 08 Accord right now has about 21k at the two year/2mo mark.

SO check repair ratings and test ratings of what you might want to own. Check your wallet, budget, anyone else that puts money in the household till. Shop and see what kind of numbers you get, special finance offers, etc. Then factor in piece of mind and time spent at the dealership. Sometimes you get a good one, other times a lemon - i've had a few of each. And a few dealers inept at repairing anything that is not so obvious a blind person could see it.
    A reporter is looking for owners who have had premature wear on the their Honda Accord and Honda Civic brakes. If you would agree to be interviewed by this reporter, please send your contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 14, 2011.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• budzinskbudzinsk Member Posts: 1
    It seems like Honda's have brake issues inherently due to them being under engineered for the size vehicles they are built for. I have a 2010 Accord EXL, 4 door 4 Cyl, and the brake problems I have been having are unbelievable... At 12,000 miles the front rotors needed to be turned because of shimmy in the steering wheel. At 26,000 miles, the rear brakes were worn down to the wear strips and the front shimmy was back. The rear brakes I needed to pay for, but they paid for replacing the front rotors. Now the front brakes are shimmying again (car has 38,000 miles on it) and the dealer and Honda corporate will not cover it. For a car with 26,000 miles to need rear brakes is unbelievable. I had a 2000 accord with 182,000 miles on it and never needed the rear brakes done (they were drum brakes though). That same care had 2 sets of brake on it, that was it....

It is one thing for a car to have problems, they all do, but for the Honda to not stand behind it, that is poor. At least Kia has a 100,000 mile warranty and stands behind their cars... Honda has made some poor decisions recently, and it will catch up to them. We have been a Honda family for 22 years, and I am currently looking for a CUV and for the first time, it will not be a Honda. The Pilot has major brake issues also...

So I have a 2 year old car, that I can expect to replace the rotors every 12,000 miles... Crazy...
  • nr8209nr8209 Member Posts: 1
    This is not a new issue. I have a 2003 Accord that gave horrible brake issues when new. It did settle down after rotors were replaced and discs twice before 12000 miles, but I have that familiar wobble on the steering right now at 77,000 miles again. My daughters LX2000 suffers the same issue - I thought it was the way we drove!!!
  • BobL242BobL242 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone had the brake problems with the 2011 or 2012 Accord? Thinking of trading in my current car and getting the Accord Sedan.Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Family member just got a 2012 accord recently (I drive an 09 accord). I drove it, and it seems to brake better than my 2009. But only time will tell as to how long the brakes will last.
    It usually takes a year or 2 to find out.
  • nzonnzon Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2009 Accord V6....however the brake pads and rotors are definitely a problem. I had a 1995 Nissan Maxima which I drove 400,000 kms before I had to replace the rotors due to minimum tolerance. I never had to have them machined and they never warped. I averaged about 140,000 kms per set of rear pads and 80,000 kms for front pads same driver "me" with same type of driving and driving habits. Downshift coming down hills to avoid heating up etc. etc. With the Accord and 40,000 kms and rear pads were totally worn out so I installed a good quality set myself at a cost of around $30. The fact that the rear pads went first is very odd as the fronts still had 60% left on them. Then at 60,000 kms the front rotors are warped which I have driven till 99,000 kms which has irritated me to the point of dealing with it this week. Again great car but I am pricing out some high end performance rotors for the front and some good pads as I know if I take the rotors to honda and have them machined they are just going to warp again. As I am installing the rotors and pads myself the cost should be less than $300 so overall as the car as not so much as had a light bulb burn out I am still happy. However honda should own up and contact all owners to offer to upgrade pads and replace any warped rotors with better quality ones and last but not least re-balance the distribution of the braking power more to the front which I suspect is causing the premature wear on the back. I am not even going to bother going to honda dealer as they will say it is probably because of my driving habits that this has happened....but I know it's the materials and engineering of the braking system.....
  • raforanraforan Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Brake noise and Tarrytown, NY Honda refuses to check without charging. I would never buy a Honda again from tarrytown. Wost service and left me with no pick up ride on Friday. They sell cars then just don't care and want to charge you for waranty service on a new car! Promise to drop you off and then pick you up, and then at 4 PM say sorry find your own way to dealership. DO NOT BUY CARS FROM TARRYTOWN, NY HONDA!!!!
    Your dealership experience will be of much more value to readers if you write it in our dealership reviews section here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealer-reviews/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• shoosy1shoosy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Kirstie (re 2008 Accord)
    just to advise that your readers will get absolutely NO help from Honda or it's dealers! Having had the rear pads renewed twice and the rotors turned twice we are now told that the whole rear end has to be replaced (rotors, calipers and pads, $900!!) Our vehicle goes to a workshop in a relatively small town and the mechanic tells us that 8 other Honda owners have the same problem! I have contacted Honda and of course they are not interested in helping out! We have been told to expect this problem to continue as there are no updated parts to rectify it. Any interested parties should contact me as I am planning a lawsuit!! NEVER again will I buy Honda!!
  • mskiss1966mskiss1966 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my back brakes done on my 2010 Accord Coupe at 35,800 miles. The dealership said they were so bad that it was dangerous to be driving with them that way. I was told by several people that the brakes should last at least 60,000 miles. I am with you. I will not buy another Honda either. If you do get a lawsuit going let me know.
  • marius3marius3 Member Posts: 1
    My Honda Accord is 2009 from Japan.I can't tell now about my rear pads ,cause only few Kms done and still in good performance,but for 38,800 miles to be renew ..,i can't condemm Honda for that...Everage car has pads to be replaced at that normal 40,000 miles or less,the bad is when you mentioned that also the rear rotor has to be replaced,even in my Peguoet i replaced front discs after 60,000 kms....so the only complains about Honda Accord are the rear pads and the rotor discs....no carin the world is set to be Perfect!!!
    Just a note - we don't permit using the forums to organize legal action, so please don't post contact info for a lawsuit in the forums. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mariejammariejam Member Posts: 1
    I was just told I need new rear brakes on my 2010 Accord (purchased Oct 2009) at 27,071 miles. I spoke with the service manager who gave me a big song and dance about how my driving habits were causing the wear. I told him I was concerned that this was a continuation of the 2008-2009 models premature brake wear problem Honda settled in a lawsuit. I said I wanted to speak with the District Representative. He wouldn't give the contact info for the Rep, but said he'd contact him on my behalf. The next morning the service manager called and offered me 50% off a $200 brake job (replace rear pads). If you have problems, don't hesitate to ask to speak with the District Representative. Be informed and know your rights (you have the right to speak directly with the Rep no matter what the dealership tries to tell you). I'm taking them up on their offer, but am also contacting Honda America directly. This is my first Honda - and my last.
  • mastereviewmastereview Member Posts: 4
    I have serious problems with my rear pads going out every 18K. No wonder Honda settled at the court earlier paying people with brake problems. I will NEVER deal with them again. Last car from Honda. Terrible customer service over a made in China $25 brake pads. They spend millions in commercials then lose them for free online and in social media over a $25 brake pads. Rear brake pads are notorious wearing out 5 times faster. started 10mm both front and rear, 17.5K and fronts are 8mm rear is 2mm (almost touching the rotors) faulty brake pads.
    They have terrible customer service. They sound great until tehy sell you the vehicle and then ignore you. I have the same problem. have to change rear pads on my Accord 2010 in just 18K. Fronts are 8mm and rear pads are 2mm. they both started with 10mm new pads. Honda America does nto care. They know the weight is at front and front goes out before rear but they just don't want to replace their faulty brakes. They lost my business over $25 made in china brake pads. This is my last Honda for sure. I will post relentlessly on everywhere to let anyone know what Honda is up to. If you must get a Honda, make sure you get some other manufacturer brake pads. Terrible customer service !!!
    I have serious problems with my rear pads going out every 18K. No wonder Honda settled at the court earlier paying people with brake problems. I will NEVER deal with them again. Last car from Honda. Terrible customer service over a made in China $25 brake pads. They spend millions in commercials then lose them for free online and in social media over a $25 brake pads. Rear brake pads are notorious wearing out 5 times faster. started 10mm both front and rear, 17.5K and fronts are 8mm rear is 2mm (almost touching the rotors) faulty brake pads.
  • RangergrlRangergrl Member Posts: 3
    Oh I'll definitely go in with you! I bought a 2010 accord and I only have 38k miles on it and have had to replace the front and rear pads, and now my master cylinder is going out! Of course they refuse to do a "goodwill repair" and it will cost me $500 to fix (at another certified Honda repair shop, not the dealership). I didn't buy a newer vehicle to put more money into it than I ever did with my 1992 accord (which I decided to sell at 286k miles on it, and it still runs around town with the kid I sold it to). This is just ridiculous and I will NEVER buy one again. My entire family is a honda family, but no more! I'd get better quality if I bought a Kia for goodness sakes!
    Don't knock Kia or Hyundai for that matter anymore. They've been producing some class leading products as of late and driving numerous rental vehicles, I've been very impressed and our next few vehicles will probably be from the Kia/Hyundai family. Good bye Honda here also!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• nakiarlnakiarl Member Posts: 1
    This is the second time I'm having to have my brakes replaced.
    I called Honda and they gave me this website because a class action lawsuit has reached a settlement:

http://www.accordsettlement.com/index.htm