Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    stealthb2stealthb2 Member Posts: 8
    Check out the pictures on my page of Edmunds. You will need to Browse Members using Dodge and Dakota as criteria. The pictures are THERE with explanations. "stealthb2"
  • Options
    dodge318dodge318 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my truck to work and the tranny was working great not noticeable problems. I get don't work (12hrs later) and put the truck in drive and there was nothing no movement at all. I tried every gear and nothing. Is my tranny finished? or is there some sort of sensor that my be causing this problem.
    thank you for your replies in advance.
    :sick:
  • Options
    tkavanaughtkavanaugh Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any ideas on the difference between a 2000 dakota automatic transmission neutral switch and a 2002 switch. The 2000 has a 3 pin connector and the 2002 has a 5 pin switch. I know that the 3 pin was only a neutral safety switch, but the 5 pin has a few more features, any ideas on how to adapt my 3 pin switch plug wiring harness to the 5 pin switch so this will work the way it is suppose to ?
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Can't tell you anything about a 2000, but the pin outs for the 2003 Transmission Range Sensoris as follows:

Pin 1 = Reverse Lamp circuit
    Pin 2 = Instrument Panel Transmission Range Display
    Pin 3 = no connection
    Pin 4 = no connection
    Pin 5 = Transmission Range Sensor 5vdc supply
    Pin 6 = Park/Neutral starting circuit and PCM input

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    iscortiscort Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a good answer or fix for this problem, I have a 01 dodge ram 2500 and put in a 02 tranny wnd the mechanic just grounded the neutral switch so it wouls start, it drove fine for a few months, then the computer went out not sure if the tranny cuased this but after i installed new computer the tranny has frozen or the torque converter is plugged up. thanks in advanced for your help.
  • Options
    kd4iiwkd4iiw Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about a 2006 Dakota. Any pros cons?
  • Options
    93dakota93dakota Member Posts: 2
    hey im having the same problems with my 93 dakota and i was wonderin if you replaced the tps yet or found the problem..if you could let me know as soon as possible i would appreciate it...antwon22@hotmail.com...
    also if anyone else know what might be causeing my automatic dakota to have delayed engagement into drive and reverse and also flair up between shifts i would really appreciate the info....thanx
  • Options
    scoopyexscoopyex Member Posts: 31
    I replaced the tps and it solved my shifting problems. The other problem I had was that the truck wouldn't move when I inititially put the truck into drive after a cold start. I disconnected the battery cable for 10 minutes or so and it seemed to cure that issue. Apparently there's a software bug in the tranmission controller and this is a common problem. I also replaced the two filters in the transmission and replaced the fluid with Chrysler spec fluid. I'm not sure if Your 93 Dak has the same transmission and Your problem may be being caused by something else. Since I changed the tps and spark plugs fuel economy has been pretty good. Before doing any of that I could drive 3 miles to work and watch my fuel guage dropping dramatically. It was horrible on gas and I was sorry that I had bought the truck just when fuel prices where sky rocketing.

Hope this helps

My Dak is a 2000 Dakota Sport 4X4, 4.7 v8 w/ 4 speed automatic
  • Options
    93dakota93dakota Member Posts: 2
    alrite thanx man i really appreciate it!
  • Options
    I had use of a 2005 some time back and I was impressed with pretty much everything about it except the interior appointment, which is a little too bland for my taste. I'm comparing this to my 2003 Dakota Sport. The 2005 was quieter than mine and was exceptionally solid, rode a little better and handled a little better.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    topixtopix Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Dakota 4x4 4.7L w/ 7500 miles when cold stalls engine when coming to stop. After coming to a stop, the trans kick down to a lower gear pretty hard. It the brakes are set lightly it will surge forward slightly. If brakes are set hard, engine stalls. Only happens when engine and trans are cold - only first 2-3 miles of driving. Been to dealer a couple of times, and they can't find a thing. No codes set, and of course, cannot duplicate. Anyone else having similar problem or possible solution?

Thanks
    russ
  • Options
    blk4x4blk4x4 Member Posts: 43
    check the level of your trans fluid... if it isn't low maybe try changing the filter could be defective...
  • Options
    try changing your throttle position sensor. it's about $25.00 from the local parts stores and may cure your problem for short money. The TPS doesn't toss codes but will make your 4.7 and tranny do odd things when it's all munged up inside. It only takes about 2 minutes to change it if You have the proper torx bit driver handy. Before I replaced mine on my 2000 Dak with 4.7, there were no codes, but the engine wanted to idle at lower than normal rpms and the transmission was acting strange. also, before You start Your Dak, pump the fuel pedal from closed to fully open a dozen times before actually starting the truck. You might just have bad contacts (munged up) and it's causing Your problem when it's cold (as mine did) and when it gets warm it makes a better connection inside because the components have warmed up and expanded and making a much better contact.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing.

There is no single component on a Dodge truck that can cause so many varied and strange symptoms as the Throttle Position Sensor.

However, I would first suspect the transmission cable sticking, especially since the symptom is related to temperature.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    no cable from the tps that I know of. the function of the cable is in the TPS itself. all transmission shifing is done by throttle position, engine load, and road speed.
  • Options
    denny3891denny3891 Member Posts: 1
    Did you try changing the TPS. My 00 Dakota with the 4.7 was downshifting very hard when I slowed at stop sighs. The engine would idle near 1K and the gas miliage wasnt very good. I didnt have a scanner so I continued to drive the truck even on long tripps until one day I was driving to college and the torque converter kept coming unlocked and the trany eventually started down shifting on the freeway. I towed the truck to the shop I work at in the summer and checked the codes. The engine code said incorrect voltage for the TPS. The trany code said, tps voltage and map sensor voltage dont match. I drove the truck around for two days before I fixed anything. The problem didnt come back until I headed back on the freeway to school. I got almost the exact place on the freeway when the trans started down shifting again. I pulled to the side of the road and changed the TPS and had no problems the last 80 miles or the past 3months.
    Mr Holt ASE MASTER CERTIFIED
  • Options
    In the Dakota of recent years there are four automatic transmissions used: the 42RE (six cylinder), 45RE (318 V-8), 46RE (360 V-8, R/T only), and the 545RFE (4.7 Magnum V-8).

Each of these transmissions have what Chrysler calls a Throttle Valve Cable. This cable is used to controls shift speeds, shift quality, and part-throttle downshift speed (sensitivity).

Look closely at the Throttle Body Lever where the accelerator cable is connected. You will notice a second cable attached to this lever that routes downward along the right side (passenger side) of the transmission.

There is an adjustment procedure for this cable that must be followed precisely. If out of adjustment, slipping or shift flare, rough shifts, premature or late shifts will occur.

If the Throttle Valve Cable linkage sticks, usually at the transmission end, it will cause your symptom. There is also a return spring on the cable bracket at the transmission. I've seen these broken or completely missing. In cold weather I've also seen the pivot shafts sticking causing long shifts. These get gummy after some years from oil and road grime.

By the way, this very common problem accounts for many Mopar transmissions being "rebuilt" by shops that are less than honest.

Good luck and best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    jmbrewer1jmbrewer1 Member Posts: 1
    A few months ago, I purchased a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport with a 5.9L V-8(360)engine. Up to this point, I've had no problems. Yesterday, I noticed the engine revved to between 2500-3000 rpm when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. I thought to myself that I might need to have the transmission fluid flushed and filter changed. Later that day when I backed into my driveway, I could not get into Park. The indicator that shows what gear I'm in (P-R-N-D-2-1) is now off by a mark, ie. Neutral now shows as reverse, etc. The truck is still driveable right now but will not shift into Park. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    orangedakotaorangedakota Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    orangedakotaorangedakota Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just rolled 140,000 miles today and my transmission started to make a low clicking when stopped at a light, only in drive or reverse not neutral, and today as I was pulling out of a parking space it hesitated it felt like I had let the clutch out to fast this seemed weired cause I have an automatic. It stopped as soon as I shifted to neutral then stalled out as soon as I put it in drive. I checked the fluid and it way above max then checked it again after it cooled off and it is at max when cold. The color was dark and smelled like motor oil. I have been losing oil, about a quart a month, but I have NO leaks any where and the exhaust dose not smell like burned oil. Could my oil be leaking into the transmission? And if so what would cause this?
  • Options
    The 45rfe, 454rfe, and 545rfe are all electronically controlled via a solenoid pack inside of the transmission. the throttle controlled valve body went the way of throttle body injection and carburetors. The TPS serves to control fuel rate and shift points of the tranny dependant on TPS position and engine load and rpms.

I've read several articles regarding the valve body control cable system, and for the life of me I couldn't find one on my 2000 Dakota Sport or my new Ram 1500. The health of any flavor of these transmissions is dependant on many factors. number one being maintenance. Anybody with a Dodge that uses this family of transmissions should follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and have them periodically checked by a good transmission repair shop or the dealership. If all of the procedures for maintaining these transmissions are followed, aside from periodic TPS replacement, they should provide decent service for the life of the truck.

The reason why I toss TPS into the equation is because it will in fact cause the transmission in late model Dodge's to act erratically and possibly cause damage to the transmissions. The 2000 Dakota I just traded in required two replacement tps's in the two years that I owned it. in both instances the TPS and battery cable removal cured my truck of erratically shifting, hard shifting, and disconnecting the TCC at hiway speeds.

Another item on maintenance is; for the life of Your Dodge truck, DO NOT USE DEXRON type fluids. Use CHRYSLER SPECIFIC fluid that is formulated for these transmissions. I have encountered many people who avoid Dodge's for transmission problems, and 99% of their problems were self-infliced by using DEXRON.
  • Options
    "The 45rfe, 454rfe, and 545rfe are all electronically controlled via a solenoid pack inside of the transmission. the throttle controlled valve body went the way of throttle body injection and carburetors. The TPS serves to control fuel rate and shift points of the tranny dependant on TPS position and engine load and rpms."

Scoop,

You know, I had to go back to the my previous post and the originating one to figure what the heck you were talking about. Then I realized that I had experienced an exceptionally deep senior moment! Lack of sleep and a constant battle with insomnia are my only defense.

My apologies. Scoopy is completely correct. The 545RFE family does not utilize a mechanical shift modulation control as the previous generation Mopar transmissions. In fact, any Chrysler-built automatic transmission that has includes "RFE" nomenclature relies soley on electronic control for shift schedules.

To be specific, the fully electronic Mopar transmission's speed range selection is controlled by a number of direct and indirect inputs.

Direct Inputs

*Throttle Position Sensor
    *Crankshaft Position Sensor
    *Transmission Range Selector
    *Transmission Temperature Sensor
    *Input Shaft Speed Sensor
    *Output Shaft Speed Sensor
    *Line Pressure Sensors
    *Overdrive Switch

Indirect Inputs

Indirect inputs to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) are the result of Powertrain Control Module (PCM) outputs that represent various engine operating conditions (i.e. engine load).

*engine/body/axle ratio
    *intake manifold pressure
    *target idle speed
    *torque reduction confirmation
    *engine coolant temperature
    *ambient air temperature
    *fuel temperature (some models)
    *air conditioning compressor enabled
    *battery temperature
    *charging voltage

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Dusty,

Even during one of your "exceptionally deep senior moment(s)", you have more knowledge about these beasts than most of the rest of us, put together. :shades:
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I herby relenquish my throne and sceptor to Dusty as the guru of Dakotas -- LOL

I hope that Dusty does not want me to burn my tattered factroy service manual as proof. I still have not memorized the secion about automatic xmission (because I orderd MANUAL tranny from factory.)
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    We still need lieutenant gurus for when the main guru goes on vacation :D

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    Scoop,

You're being way too kind, but I appreciate it.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Bpeebles,

Not necessary. Besides, I'm not sure I could follow in your footsteps.

By the way, my factory manual's starting to disintegrate, too.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Yeah, and I think I need one!!

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    mopar360rtmopar360rt Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    i have a 1999 dakota r/t reg cab. there is nothing wrong with it besides i'd love to have a 5-speed tranny in it. i know that it has the 46re tranny in it which is the full size truck trans, so that should mean that the full size manual should fit in it but i don't know the name on the tranny or for sure if it would fit. if anyone could tell me anything, i'd appreciate it. thanks
  • Options
    When you say "5-speed tranny" - I hope you suggesting you would like to swap out your automatic for the 5-speed manual transmission.

If you are suggesting that you want to install one of the newer automotic xmissions, be prepared to also reprogram the engine-computer -to- transmission computer communications. Modern automatic xmissions do most of their "thinking" insiside a computer to determine shift-points and other important stuff.

In model-year 2000, the Dakota recieved a the Jeep 4.7L V8 which came with a new automatic xmission. Personally, I orderd mine V8 from the factory with the 5-speed manual and enjoy up to 21MPG with it.
  • Options
    The 46RE was used in full size RAM applications, however that doesn't mean that a 46RE out of a RAM will fit in your Dakota.

Fortunately, Mopar engines have universal bellhousing-to-engine mounting configuration, so I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem bolting any truck manual up to that 360 engine. But extention shafts (tail stocks) vary in length depending on application.

The Dakota in recent years used the 5-speed, NV3500 manual gear box. I'm sure you should be able to find one around that is out of a Dakota.

A 5-speed out of a RAM will most likely be the heavy-duty version with wide-spaced gearing. I'm guessing that you really want the close-ratio version that came with the original Dakota R/T.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    yeah thanks guys, and yes i'm wanting a 5 speed stick, but if i use a nv 3500 that come out of the 318 dakotas, i'm pretty sure i'll end up tearing the gears out of it. a 318 is powerful but when you've got a 360, it produces alot more torque, which i'm sure you guys know. but mine is going to be built up with about around 500 hp.and i'm pretty sure that will tear out a standard 318 5-speed.

Also i don't care about the lenght of the trans because i'll probably have a driveshaft made for it anyways.
  • Options
    oh yeah the transmission that is in the truck factory is a 46re, i've read all the numbers on the trans, and that's the trans it calls for. thanks though.
  • Options
    The 5-speed manual xmission in my 2000 Dak with 4,7L v8 is the New Venture 3500 (aka NV3500)

Since the factory shop manual only mentions the NV1500 and NV3500 manual xmsissions and the NV1500 was only used on the 4 cyl engine... I have to assume that the NV3500 was also used on the 360ci engine.

You may want to do some more research if you want a xmission to handle 500 HP. There are some websites around that list virtually every xmission/engine combonation imaganable. THey also list recommende torque for each trannie.

I hope that info helps you in your quest.
  • Options
    dodgindebdodgindeb Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully someone can help me. I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota. (6 cyl)(it's just a baby) It was driving just fine. Got ready to leave work, put it in drive, check engine light came on and it felt like I was taking off in 2nd gear. No get up and go. Took it and had the transmission completely flushed out. Had a mechanic test it and the codes came back 7612 & 7613. He said that it was the governer pressure solenoid/ governer transducer sensor that attach to the valve. He also mentioned that the voltage was too high or too low....WHAT?? Can someone please help me out here and let me know what is going on.
    Thanks
  • Options
    tonym5tonym5 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2003 Dakota with 3.9 L and auto trans. The shifting is very hard. I have had 2 engine lights with the code P1740. I have read some of the previous messages and this appears to be a common problem. What does the code mean, and what are the suggested fixes?
    Thanks
    Tony
  • Options
    The first thing I would advise is checking the fuses located on the left side of the instrument panel. An open IOD fuse will cause the transmission to go into Limp Mode, which on the 42RE transmission means it will try to start a vehicle launch in second gear.

Next, I'd check all of the connectors at the transmission for corroded or damaged terminals.

The codes are TCM codes. I would need more information in order to give you some idea what's going on.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Tony,

Are you sure of the code? My list says, "P1740 Automatic Transaxle (Acura, Honda)."

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Dusty, I found this:

Service Bulletin Number: 211100
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 146
    Date of Bulletin: 0010
    NHTSA Item Number: SB614660
    Make: DODGE TRUCK
    Model: DAKOTA
    Year: 2000
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR
    Summary: SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMPLAIN OF A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATION DUE TO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1740 - TCC OR OD SOLENOID PERFORMANCE.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    tonym5tonym5 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Guys
    I had a mechanic tell me that it is the overdrive sensor. Approx $180 for the part a 3 hrs labor. My question is if that will solve the hard shifting and the fact that I have to ease off the gas pedal to shift? Is there anything else the mechanic should do while he is in there other than replace the filter? Thanks for your help thus far
    Regards,
    Tony
  • Options
    Thanks! Obviously my 2000 hard list is out of date!!!

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Overdrive Sensor? Did he mean the Overdrive Solenoid?

On the 42RE hard shifts can be caused by the Lockup Solenoid. This is a valve body repair and can be done without removing the transmission from the vehicle. The Pressure Regulator Solenoid could also be malfunctioning, or you have a dragging Front Band, although that's very rare. (usually the Band Apply levers get bent causing slipping.)

Sorry about steering you wrong on the P1740 code. My list is either incorrect or out of date.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    dodgelegendodgelegen Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Dakota 4X4, 4.7L, 45RFE transmission.
    My check engine light came on while driving and I noticed that the transmission had dropped out of overdrive. When I started off from a stop I noticed that the transmission had not downshifted, and that it was trying to start out in third gear. I now have to manually shift and only have 2 and 3 gears forward and reverse.
    I checked the codes and it gave me a P0700 code. This code only says Transmission Control Module.
    I purchased a TCM, at a cost of $800.00. I installed the unit, with battery cables off.
    I still don't have any shifting of the transmission.
    Is there something else that P0700 means?
  • Options
    According to my list a P0700 is "Transmission Control System Malfunction."

The first thing you should check are all fuses, both at the instrument panel and the Power Distribution Center (PDC) that's adajcent to the vehicle battery. In particular, an open IOD fuse will cause the transmission to go into Limp Mode. Starting in second or third gear is symptomatic of the transmission being in Limp Mode.

On Chryslers especially, the next thing to check is the electrical connectors at the transmission. Your vehicle is old enough to have developed corroded terminals at the connectors. An open Governor or Shift Solenoid circuits can cause this problem.

The only component quality problem that I'm aware of on early 545RFE transmissions were bent accumulator plates. Chrysler fixed this problem soon after the 545RFE was introduced, but depending on when the vehicle was manufacturered your 2001 may have an early version.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    dodgelegendodgelegen Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    dervin1dervin1 Member Posts: 9
    My dakota just started to delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd gears. The RPMs have to get to 2500-3000, the speedometer isn't working until the RPMs get to around 3000, then it shifts into 2nd gear and the speedometer starts working. No other shifting problems, no slipping. Brake light is on, ABS light and check engine light too.
    Any suggestions on what it needs? Speed sensor?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    The speedometer symptom is the key. You probably have a defective Rear Wheel Speed Sensor or corroded terminals at the sensor's connector. This sensor supplies an input signal that is used to operate the speedometer as well as determine transmission shifting pattern.

This sensor is located on the rear differential housing and is replaceable without removing the differential cover. It is mounted the outside of the housing with one bolt.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    angel16angel16 Member Posts: 1
    I have put three transfer cases in my Dodge in one year. I can't figure out what the problem is with my truck. I am getting ready to buy another transfer case for it again. Can someone please help me with this problem I am having or tell me what I can do about it?

Thank very Much,
    Angel6
  • Options
    Can you please give us more details like:
    *)Which xfer case does your truck have (the 2000 model-year was supplied with at least 2 different ones)
    *)Why are you replacing the xfer cases so frequently? (Should easilly last the life of the vehicle because you should be in 2wheel drive mode 99% of the time)