Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• gene1965gene1965 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a '07 Dakota 2wd, 3.7L Auto trans. 36,547 miles. Any thought on why it won't shift?? Took it out on the interstate yesterday, 4,500 rpm at 60 mph.
    TIA for your help!!!!!
    Gene
  • eldoetceldoetc Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 46 re transmission repair manual. Any one with any ideas?
  • john451john451 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 SXT Automatic 3.9L dodge Dakota. It has 59,000 miles on it. When I drive it seems that the first gear seems to be staying in gear longer then it should. Then it shifts. This also happens in Passing gear. It also seems it has no get up and go. Don't know if these issues are related or not. Does any one have any ideas that might help. Could my problem be a sensor related issue? Please help

John451
  • don67rsdon67rs Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 91 ex cab with 5.2 motor & auto trans. it has 112,000 miles. The guy said the trans was serviced at 97,000 miles. Here the problem I'm having with it. When its cold and you put it in revers it backs up just fine. When you drive it for a while & have the temp. built up to normal , say 10 miles or so, when you go to back it up the rpm drops it shuders & acts like it trying to lock up you give it more gas & it kind of wheel hops. If you put it back to neutral & rev it up & try it again sometime it works ok & somtimes it still acts up. But when its cold before you get to much heat built up in it it works fine. Checked the fluid & its rihgt on full. Would it help to put synthetic fluid in it insted of reg. atf ? I't also shifts pretty firm & I put a new tps sensor & that helped a little on the firm shift part. Need help with this if anyone as any ideas.!!!!!!!!!!!
  • snowball2snowball2 Member Posts: 1
    when you replaced the cable did you put the return spring back on the throttlevavle with ou that there the vavle can not return all the way putting it back to 1st
  • holiday5holiday5 Member Posts: 2
    John451:

Has your Dakota always performed as you described or is this a recent development?

Your comments caught my attention because I am currently using my Dad's 2003 Dakota SXT with same engine and transmission as you have. Dad is in rehab for physical therapy and I have been using/exercising the Dakota. Yes, it has all the trademarked "rough around the edges" characteristics of a Chrysler Product: ie; Poor fit and finish, engine that operates normally, but roars like a machine shop, and is especially noisy when sticking in the reluctant low gear...I absolutely hate to drive this vehicle because it handles like a slug, thus becoming a road hazard. I thought I was just spoiled by the super handling and refinement of my own Honda, personal vehicles. But you have also noted this drive line flaw in the Dakota, so perhaps it is normal?

I have only known poor, sluggish performance from this vehicle since using it during the past several months. Anyone else know if sluggish shifting is normal on the Dakota? Will be interesting to see what others have to say about their own experience with the 2003 Dakota drive train.
  • john451john451 Member Posts: 2
    One thing I found was my Throtal cable was broken. Once that get replaced it will go on the computer for a complete analysys. I am hoping everything works out. I will let you know when I know someting.
  • holiday5holiday5 Member Posts: 2
    Did your engine increase speed in response to the accelerator peddle even though the throttle cable was broken?
  • stanleydeitzstanleydeitz Member Posts: 1
    Friday I just bought a used 2007 dakota quadcab st 4x4 3.7L with 49,500 mile on it. Today whin I lift church it would not shift out of first. I drove about a mile to a shipping center's parking lot to see if it need fluid, it was fine and no leaks. So I decided to put it in 4 wheel high and back to 2 wheel to see if that would get it to shift. It drove fine all the way home. Any idea what is wrong?
  • dmack88dmack88 Member Posts: 4
    Did you turn the truck off when you checked the fluid? If you did then you rebooted the computer. I have a similar problem with a 2001. It can get stuck in one gear then when you turn it off and back on it will reboot the computer. Or it may be a linkage problem in which case it resolved itself when you put it in park and then shifted back to drive.
  • rodylisy06rodylisy06 Member Posts: 1
    my truck was being pulled in neutral, when i was getting to the stop light i started braking and had to brake hard to stop. after that the trucks back wheels are stuck and wont move. i lifted the rear end up and they spin but not being in neutral it doesnt move at all. :( any one know what it could be????
  • farmer18farmer18 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Dakota, with the V6 engine has just started to act up when traveling at 80 to 90 kilometers an hour, it seems like the transmission is slipping for a second or 2. The tach seems to Rev up about 200 RPM's at the same time. Anyone have any ideas?
  • farmer18farmer18 Member Posts: 4
  • snewmansnewman Member Posts: 2
  • snewmansnewman Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought a 2000 Dakota quad cab 4x4 SLT with the 4.7 V8. The truck is in great shape and looks to been cared for. I noticed a clicking noise right after the truck is shifted into drive. The clicking onlt clicks for a second or so the stops. It not very loud but I noticed it. Anyone know what this might be or is it anything to worry about. The trans seems to shift good when driving.

Thanx
  • dakota3208dakota3208 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Dakota 2WD 3.9 V6 Automatic 130,000 miles.... Transmission fluid and filter is fine... All gears shift smoothly except it will not shift into overdrive at all... It just started a couple weeks ago, once in a blue moon it will shift into to overdrive but when you let off the gas it will shift out...
    ** i get a code 45
    Governor pressure solenoid circuit.,Overdrive solenoid circuit.,Governor mid-pressure malfunction., Overdrive switch low.**
    And a Code 37
    Transmission temperature sensor detected no temperature rise after start.**or Transmission temperature sensor voltage too low or too high.**or Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement.**or An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit.**

Can any body tell me what parts or sensors i need to replace to get my overdrive back ,,i need my overdrive..... Thanks
  • firemedic161firemedic161 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone.

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab that I have some tranny issues with. Yesterday, the check engine light came on and I retrieved the transmission DTCs after scanning it. They are as follows: 1790, 0731, 0731, 0733, 0734, 1793. When the light came on, the truck seemed to want to keep moving after coming to a stop and nearly stalling. I got the truck back to the garage and pulled the pan...the fluid is clean but smells a little burnt, the filters are clean and there were zero shavings on the magnet.

After sitting for about an hour, the truck ran and shifted fine, but once it was driven for about 40 minutes in regular traffic, the problem began again.

The truck is lifted with 35 inch tires, but the TCM and PCM were both reprogrammed by Dodge to match the tire requirement.

Has anyone else had this problem? If it were a mechanical problem inside the transmission, I would expect it all of the time, instead of just when it has been run for a period of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I do not feel like dropping a grand for a new tranny.

Thanks!
  • cmitter99cmitter99 Member Posts: 3
    Ok. Here is what happened with my Dodge Dakota. After taking it to the dealership and bitching to Chrysler, They agreed that they have some issues and paid for most of the new transmission for me. My end was about 1200. Now I have the 3yr 100,000 mile warranty on the transmission.
  • firemedic161firemedic161 Member Posts: 2
    Cmitter99,

You had the same problem as I am experiencing? I bought the truck used, so I am not sure if Chrysler will be as willing to work with me on the issues. Did they say what the actual problem is? I am somewhat leaning towards the TCM, but trying cheap fixes first.
  • freebeefreebee Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I was out of town and I developed a loud "whirring" sound that would go away somewhat after it had been idling for awhile. This went on for the week. When I was on my way back into town, I started to get a rev anytime I slightly increased or decreased my speed. Anything above or around 2000 rpms usually, nothing lower. Welp, the noise stopped. The idler pulley sheared off and I had to wait for my friend to come and bring me a new one along with a new belt. I replaced the idler pulley and belt. I got back on the freeway only to find it revving again (about a 200 rpm surge) around 60 to 80 miles an hour (1900-2300RPM) while just barely giving it gas, sometimes my foot is steady and it will do this. When I got home, I replaced the tensioner pulley thinking it was bad and also added 24 ounces of Lucas Oil Transmission Stop Leak fluid to the tranny. I drove it around only to find it doing the same thing again. I can floor it and not have any rev issues. I can drive under 60 or so and it won't do it either. Do I have a vacuum leak or a slipping tranny??
  • timlw443timlw443 Member Posts: 1
    Help!
    Got truck stuck and after getting it out, trans is stuck in drive in every gear range P R N D. It will run fine in drive and shift out but will not come out of drive even in park and reverse. Any suggestions?
  • richs63richs63 Member Posts: 1
    This code P0876 has come up a couple of times. If I clear the code the truck runs
    fine for a day or so. Wen it come back it is hard to get up a hill. Does anyone know
    where the sensor is located.
  • bassinbob1bassinbob1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Dodge 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad PU. The truck just started with the same problem described by yta88. Can you tell me if it gets worse or does it stay the same? Does anybody know if this damages the transmission running it in this condition?

I want to go deer hunting in VA and it is a 3 hour drive on the highway. Don't want to get stuck on the side of the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 92dak4x492dak4x4 Member Posts: 1
    What has happened here is the forward clutches have welded themselves to the steel plates inside the unit. Happened to mine as well, ended up replacing trans. If you do a lot of off roading then i recommend upgrading to the A-518 transmission out of the 5.2 dakota. That is if you can find one out of a 96 and up since it is computer controlled. So what you would need is a 46RE. Same case, beefier parts.
  • melodytoinventmelodytoinvent Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 1991 Dakota but the guys telling me that it wont go into 4WD but it drives otherwise. He says he thinks its a vacuum line, but a friend of mine says that a 91 wouldnt have vacuum lines and that it could be a multitude of things, like: bad transfer case, cv axle, driveshaft, front axle, or spider gears. So I'm kinda stuck wondering. Any idea what it could be from any recalls or known problems from that year? And around how much would those things cost me? :confuse: Thanks.

Just in case: its a 318 V8. How can I tell if its the LA motor or a Magnum? Should it have the badges on the fenders if its a Magnum or does that not matter?
  • 98dakdude98dakdude Member Posts: 1
    Hey i have a 98 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L V8 Sport.. Automatic Trany.. With About 111,000 original miles. The transmission has been acting up.. Doesnt want to shift out of 1st.. For example at a stop sign ill stop then excellerate.. it gets stuck in 1st and revs up to about 3500-4000 rpm before shifting into second.. Checked the trany fluid, its pink and full... What can be the problem?
  • mill5mill5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, mostly in the cold (I live in Toronto) or if it hasn't been run for a couple of days. Dealer said same thing to me. Doesn't seem to be related to the doors though. Have you figured out a solution?
    Millan
  • poostilespoostiles Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 02 Dodge Dakota 4X4. It is hard shifting out of 1st and 2nd but doesn't do it all the time. Now it seems like it doesn't want to move quickly when starting out but drags. Please tell me what to look for. Should I take it to a transmission guy? I'm afraid they will rip me off. I'm a 44 yr old single mom.
    Have pity on me!!! Help!!!
  • joegunsjoeguns Member Posts: 2
    Hi to all. I am a new member. I have a 98 dakota 4x4 truck with a 5.2/318 auto/od. The truck pulls great and shifts fine in the warmer months but in the late fall/winter/early spring, until you let it warm up 15 to 20 min. it will not shift till you get the rpms up around 3000/3500 and have to be going down hill. I have changed out trans fld./filter and after this it worked a while then went back to old way. I love this truck it has done alot for me. I bought it used and this did not happen till a year after i bought it. Thanks to anyone than can help! (?)
  • joegunsjoeguns Member Posts: 2
    To add to my last i forgot to tell you that it has the problem shifting out of 2nd to 3rd. thanks
  • earlymearlym Member Posts: 1
    I followed your advice and removed fuse # 8, which allowed shifting out of park. I then made 300 mile highway trip, but check engine light eventually appeared. Why does fuse pull solve park problem? Is check engine warning light connected or just coincidence?
  • floydfangeorgefloydfangeorge Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 dakota with a v-6 engine. The overdrive does not work properly when it gets hot. It works normally when cold and through warm-up, and for a while once it's warmed up. After it gets real hot overdrive begins to not work - At first if I release the accelerator pedal it comes out of overdrive, upon stepping on the pedal it goes back into overdrive. I'm certain it is not the torque converter clutch. If I keep the pedal steady it will continue staying in o.d.. Once released it will come out again. It gets progressively more sensitive to pedal pressure. This may continue for a while longer and will eventually reach a point where it does not go back into o.d.. I was an A.S.E. Master Certfied Technician for many years and worked on a lot of transmissions during that time, but it's been years since I was in the business. I can't ever recall a problem such as this. I'm thinking there may be something in the valve body that's sticking when it gets hot, but i'm not sure. There was an o.d. fault code P0783 - 3-4 shift malfunction. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I also have a '98 Dakota but with a v-6. I'm not sure if the transmissions are the same or similar, but you might try seeing if there are any fault codes - If you haven't already. Advanced Auto Parts will extract them for free. I have another o.d. shift problem with mine, but experienced the same 1-2 shift problem. It may be the speed sensor mounted in the tail shaft housing of the trans. My speedo currently works at times, my ABS and Brake lights are on intermittently. When they were on the speedo didn't work until 20 mph, and the trans would not shift into second until the speedo kicked in. However, I replaced the trans speed sensor and it fixed the 1-2 shift problem, but did not fix the speedo problem. There may be a wheel speed sensor problem which is causing the speedo/ABS light problem. Anyway, try the speed sensor - It cost me about $15.00 for the part.
  • david196david196 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: i have a 2002 dodge Dakota with the 4.7 v8 and sometimes when i shift into gear and try to take off it seem like the truck don't wont to go it feels like it is low on fluid but when i check it. it is full what could be the problem
  • david196david196 Member Posts: 2
    my speedo works good and the trans shifts good but it acts like it don't wont to take off most of the time its just in the morning or if the truck ant been drove for a few hours.
  • markanthony1markanthony1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 94 dodge dakota... my trans is leaking, i believe when i drive.. when putting the truck in drive, it goes right into gear... now if i try and put it into reverse it takes a while before it throws itself into gear... when i driving the truck it doesnt like to switch gears< i have to rev the rpms up and then release the gas inorder for it to switch into another gear.. and between 50 and 70 mph the transmission makes a funny banging noise... i can put the drive in overdrive but it doesnt make much of a difference... it kinda feels as if thge truck doesnt know when to switch gears... Please if anyone can help, im trying not to have the transmission rebuilt, if its something i can fix id rather do it...
  • timm3timm3 Member Posts: 1
    As I come to a stop, The truck stalls, I have been told it is the solenoid? If so, how complicated is the replacement
  • mark237mark237 Member Posts: 1
    2003 V6 4WD AUTOMATIC: When I first start my truck it seems like it is taking off in higher gears causing the truck to be sluggish, after its warms up I can restart the truck it will shift down and go again but it will start slipping from 3 -4 for about 3 -4 seconds

any ideas &#150; thanks
  • I have a 2002 Dakota 3.9L V6, I don't know what kind of trans. Sometimes it won't want to shift out of 1st, not until I hit about 2500-3000 RPMs, then it will shift into 2nd, and continue normally, but that's only if I maintain fast acceleration. If I don't accelerate at a fast rate, it'll drop back into 1st and the RPMs will skyrocket. When I finally DO get it to shift into overdrive at about 40-45 MPH, it won't downshift into first when I come to a stop, like at a traffic light. What I have to do is put the gear selector into 1, accelerate, put it in 2, then at about 10-15 MPH, release the gas, and put it into D and everything is fine.

This problem is accompanied by the engine light. The codes are: P1757, P1762, P1763, & P0138. I went to an aftermarket shop and they replaced the trans governor pressure solenoid, and the governor pressure sensor. They told me that there was nothing unusual found in the trans when they dropped the pan, and that the codes 1757 and 1762 went away after this repair. Unfortunately the same shifting problem came back.

When I brought it back to them, they told me that it was the PCM. When they tried to replace it, they couldn't program it, and I told them to give me my truck back, and now the ABS light is flashing and beeping. :mad: Well, I replaced the PCM, and guess what, that didn't fix it either. :cry: The ABS light is still flashing, however, the P0138 code is gone. P1763 is the only code remaining. P1763 - Governor pressure sensor volts too high.
  • snowman16snowman16 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 4X4 V6 3.9 with automatic transmission. I had a check engine light come on with a code related to a governor? Also, It has just started slipping first gear from a dead stop. I can give it more gas and it locks in. Also it won't downshift correctly when I push the petal to the floor.

When I manually run it through the gears everything works fine. Reverse is working well.

I've been reading about TPS switches, sensors and a governor valve. Any idea with where I should start?
  • bcbud69bcbud69 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2004 Dakota quad cab with a 4.7L auto,2wd with 102,ooo km's`I have had one problem for about 6 months with the plug connected to the blower motor resister that I have replaced once and now it's heating up and needs replaced again. The reason I'm telling of this problem is because it may be related to the other problems that have happened in the last 2 days??
    I first started noticing a couple of days ago when starting the truck it was turning over slower then normal at about the same time I noticed that my auto trans was acting strange,once in a while as I left a red light it would almost feel like it was in neutral and as the RPM's picked up a bit the tranny would hit and go,but this only happened a couple of times.
    This morning I went to start the truck and the battery was dead,pulled off the connections and cleaned them and then jumped started it and it started right up but would not idol. If I kept the rpm's up it would run fine. let it idol and it died right away.
    I managed to 2 foot it for a 15 min drive and again the trans acted up in the same way. I kept my eye on the battery meter and it didn't seem to be over to the charge side as I expected it to be. Drove it home and now warm it would idol but seemed low and on the verge of stalling. Shut the truck off and tried to start it and still dead battery. BTW the trans fluid is right up and looks and smells good. Also there is NO "service engine" or "check engine" light on.I also think it's the original battery in the truck. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
  • rick94110rick94110 Member Posts: 4
    I talked to a transmission shop that said a band change or clutch repair would be a soft repair of $2000. Is that right?
  • dewittedewitte Member Posts: 3
    Hi all! I have a 1993 Dakota with about 143,000 miles. It has been great until very recently when it started not shifting into a higher gear on the highway. I noticed this first when I would take my foot off the gas and the truck would lunge forward because it was like downshifting a manual shift. I thought it might be low on fluid (stick shows halfway into "XXXX" area), so I added a half quart. Stick still shows the same. Now a few days later it's getting worse. Hard shifting, no shifting, etc. If you put it in drive and let it idle in a parking lot where you can let it run free, the truck rolls and pauses, rolls and pauses, almost like pressure building up and back down. Last night coming home it wouldn't shift down out of high gear so that I'm going 10 mph in high gear and the whole truck is shaking. Today on the way to work I was able to control it by manually moving the shifter from D to 2 and vice-versa so that it would move in and out of gears to get me here. I read a LOT of this forum today and thought about the throttle sensor, so during lunch I went out and worked the gas pedal a lot and started the truck and it is doing the same thing. Oh, and as of last night there is also a new noise - like a Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr which will be there and then go away. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission. The fact that it's acting so odd even while just idling in drive makes me think it is a fluid issue but it seems to have enough fluid.
  • rick94110rick94110 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Dusty: Read the threads. Have No reverse. Asking for advice for right steps to take before I just replace the tranny: ... Just bought Dak &#145;01 3.9 auto with 119k. Tran oil not pink pink, but kind of brown brown. No stink, no burn. Since the oil was dirty, I imagine there&#146;s been deferred maint… Zero on code reader. Shifter Recall not done yet. One day last week I parked in a parking lot, came back, and on reverse I heard a rattle/grinding noise for a few seconds and I put it in park to make it go away. So Later that night, I drove home. Rechecked code: Zero. Tried reverse. Now a whirring noise. Has very slight feel of engagement. There&#146;s a little trouble getting it into the Park from Reverse so that the column shows park with the light on,.... but it will get there. Will warm engine and check tranny level next. Will check cooling lines. Dodge service reluctant to work on column. So… next step, somehow get the right tranny fluid, replace. By the way, should I get the dodge atf4 or the kragen atf4. And Next step? Get out and rock the car from side to side a bit? Yesterday, I got a slight response. I got the reverse to engage, there's always the slight whirring sound, and it moved very slightly. Still have not changed the tranny transmission. What should I be looking for when I remove the tranny pan? shavings? a broken band?

Everything else in drive works fine. Beautifully in such a fine, fine truck. (My first v6 the size of a v8)

Ah. Sounds like the shift cable is binding (46RE) or you have a bad Transmission Range Sensor (mounted on the side of the transmission).

Have someone fix:

*Gear selector out of adjustment

* Rear band loose (adjustment)

* Throttlebody malfunction (dirty or worn)

* Broken or severely worn rear band

*Defective or inoperative front clutch

*Overdrive thrust bearing failure

Check the shift cable (46RE) Test, if not

Check the transmission Throttle Cable. If sticking it can cause most of your issues. If not

Transmission Range Sensor (mounted on the side of the transmission). But wouldn't this show up on the Reader with code????

If not...it's up to the mechanic to make a determination, and I don't want to be bamboozled: In order of checking.

* Rear band loose (adjustment) (Don't they do that when they change the tranny oil?) What if someone used the wrong oil. how can I tell??? Do I trash the whole thing??? or do a soft rebuild)

* Throttlebody malfunction (dirty or worn)

* Broken or severely worn rear band

*Defective or inoperative front clutch

*Overdrive thrust bearing failure

Linkage out of adjustment

*inoperative or worn front clutch

*Rear band misadjusted

*Worn or broken overdrive thrust bearing

*Broken direct clutch spring"

Thanks so much for your advice.
  • litfoot67litfoot67 Member Posts: 6
    I recently acquired a 97 Dakota 3.9/auto overdrive. It acts like it is in 2nd or 3rd gear starting off and never shifts. I am doing a filter/fluid change on sat. and adjust everything according to the service manual.Any other ideas? I got the truck from a family member and he says it hasnt shifted in a long time. :sick:
  • snowman16snowman16 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 DAK with a 3.9 auto tranny. It was not fully engaging at take off and felt like it was in 2nd gear. Also it wouldn't back shift when I set the pedal to the floor. When I manually ran it through the gears it would hit all of them, but wouldn't do it on its own. I had to replace the governor pressure switch and governor switch. That and a fluid/filter change fixed it. Switches were $250 for the pair.
  • litfoot67litfoot67 Member Posts: 6
    No manual shifts either
  • trucklover14trucklover14 Member Posts: 1
    My truck started dropping out of overdrive. I could pull over and turn the key off and on and the truck would run fine for days.

Now it is more frequent and sometimes doesn't shift out of third.

codes are P0700 and P1776

Any ideas?
    I have a '98 dakota with a v-6 and auto trans. The "ABS" and red dash "Brake" lights are on and the speedo doesn't work until 20 mph. I replaced the trans speed sensor which fixed a "no shift until 20 mph" problem which I believe was coincedental. I'm not sure what the relationship is there, but the speedo is still inop until 20 mph and the lights are on. I was thinking that a wheel speed sensor could be the problem, but I'm not sure how it would affect the speedo! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • jamoka3jamoka3 Member Posts: 9
    Well i got a 99 dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab, 4 speed auto, and when i take off from a stop or just driving slow its stays in 1, or 2nd gear till real high rpm's like 3500 4 grand, and then it smacks into gear ( like its got a performance valve body installed)
    any ides?
    oh i got 95,000 miles and i bought it from a dealer 1 month ago.
    called him up and as you would think he would say... "not his problem"
    so being that i just spent $4,300 on this truck i have no more money and I'm hoping its something just out of adjustment... :sick:

oh NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON...EITHER!