Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Fuel Pump/Fuel System

Comments

• boeing67boeing67 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone
    I have a 1997 chevy Z71. The other day I was driving down the road and it just quit.
    I troubleshot the problem to an inop fuel pump. i replaced the pump........not a fun job.......and the filter. THE DARN THING STILL WILL NOT RUN!!!!!!!!!! I pulled the two steele lines behind the throtle body and have fuel under pressure there. If I pour fuel into the throttle body it will run until that fuel is burned up. Any ideas as to why I can't get it to run???????????
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    there is a fuel pressure regulator on the side of the throtle body ( drivers side) it has a vacuum hose connected to it. the regulator is about the size of a gulf ball. pull the vac hose off....

if it has fuel in it the vac line it is bad.
  • seafarmerseafarmer Member Posts: 16
    Check the ground wire to the fuel pump and be sure it is connected to the frame at the proper location and has good continuity to ground. I ran into the same issue with my son's truck when replacing the fuel pump and that's all it was after a couple hours of trouble shooting more complex issues. The replacement pumps have a slightly different wiring harness.
  • dmbaerodmbaero Member Posts: 5
    Greeting All! 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 with 233,000 miles
    Recently had the fuel tank removed to check something on fuel pump module I replaced a year ago. When I had the tank off I could hear something rolling around in the tank. Removed fuel pump module and found rollover protection valve lying loose in the bottom of the tank. Looked in the book and could not find any info on replacing/fixing this. I have tried to reach into tank to see if it would just snap back in place or something but am unable to get my arm into tank far enough to reach. There seems to be no method to remove this from tank it seems to be integral. Does anyone have any idea if this is repairable? Is there any way to remove from tank to repair/replace? And finally what other that it's obvious function affect can this have on operation of vehicle? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Rollover valve is either part of the tank or fill pipe. If it is part of the tank, fuel tank must be replaced if you want it fixed like the Dealer. Down side is only that this valve prevents siphoning of fuel and gushing of fuel due to a flip over. fuel will still leak out on a roll over, just not as fast. As far as siphoning, the rage now is for the gas theives to just poke a hole in the bottom of your tank! If you have the type that is part of the fill pipe, and the filler is replacable you can do that. Another option, is to leave it out and Mcgyver a fill neck that has one in it. Don't loose any sleep over this.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2005 Chev Duramax LS with steering wheel controls. I can access the oil filter life on the guage. I have heard that you can also set up (customize) the Fuel Filter life gauge. Does anyone know if that is even possible? If so how do I set it up?

I got stranded my first time having driven it 10k past the dealer schedule. I replaced it again at 15K miles but would like to know if there is a way to monitor the life of the fuel filter.
    thanks,
  • at3davisat3davis Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a fix for this? I have exactly the same problem, and have been unable to fix it.
  • drewmartindrewmartin Member Posts: 1
    My truck turns over(no starter problem)but it takes two to three times before it starts. Seems to be a lack of fuel going to the engine. I can hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned on.Once it starts, no problems, no hesitation, no misfires, etc. Any ideas?
  • yadi711yadi711 Member Posts: 1
    Im having trouble starting my truck, actually i cant start it, some friends say its the fuel pump but actually i never got signs that it was going to bust so i think its not that. i did mess with the key switch for a while cus i was programming a keyless entry remote. so i talked to other friends and they said it could be the fuses or the relay on the fuel pump. i had someone check the fuses for me and theyre fime but i dont know where the relay for the fuel pump is so i can get it checked out. can somebody tell me where the relay is? it is a 2003 chevy silverado. thanks.
  • bsgb22absgb22a Member Posts: 2
    Hey question i have a 2000 gmc 2500 4x4. I have a problem with my fuel gauge i can start it and it runs great and everything but my fuel gauge goes back and fourth. Like for instance i can fill it up and let it idle for a sec and it will read empty. Then i get in it and shake the truck and it reads full again. I put some mytery oil in it and still the same thing. Also i can be just driving down the road and it will go back and fourth from full to empty i thought it might be my float in the gas tank getting stuck but not for sure any ideas?
    "Fuel gauge goes back and fourth"

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

I had the same problem my fuel gage, the fuel pump died within 12 months.
    I think…the problem is irregular voltage draw to the fuel pump affecting the voltage to the fuel gage causing erratic movement in the fuel gage needle.

Fuel filter - $ 9.95
    Fuel Pump - $ 300.00
    Forgot one fact, the fuel pump I replaced was purchased from AutoZone, big mistake… as it was an after market. It constantly makes noise!
    Could also be the "fuel pump pressure regulator" same symtoms

I replaced this on my truck. It is located near the throttle body under the hood driver side on the top of the engine. There is a vacuum hose connected to it, if it has fuel in the hose when you pull it off, it is bad.

$60 apx

i can send you a pic showing the location if you email me, tdebat@yahoo.com. too bad i cannot attached a pic on this forum">
  • eug3eug3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 sierra has paint missing where bugs have hit only the plastic parts (ie) mirrors and bumper area. They will not cover under warranty. I have seen the same issue on a 2007 yukon. Anyone have this happen and did GM help?
  • bsgb22absgb22a Member Posts: 2
    I changed my fuel filter the last two times i have changed my oil. Still it fluctuate's back and fourth i hope its not my fuel pump. DO you think it could be the float in my gas tank getting stuck??
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Your fuel guage is electrical. The guage itself is powered in the dash cluster and recieves a ground from the sending unit in the tank. As the float in the tank goes higher due to fuel level, the ground resistance is reduced (a better ground)moving your guage needle. Most likely cause is a mechanic didn't connect an extra ground that is found on GM's to the chassi good enough, or its dirty. On GM it is usually above the tank in front center and is either a clip or rivited ground strap. Simple test is to use a jumper cable and connect it to the metal part of the tank and the negative on the battery and see it this corrects the guage. If it does, you have a grounding problem with the tank. If it doesn't, the sending unit is usually what goes bad.
    I got the dealership to replace my gauge cluster under warranty. There's a special recall on the fuel gauge cluster. It stemmed from a class action lawsuit. E-mail me seafarmer@hotmail.com with an appropriate subject line and I'll send you a copy of the class action lawsuit. If someone can find a paste to post it for a good link that would be great for everyone's future reference.
  • ggreco0313ggreco0313 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 88 GMC Sierra Pickup 5.7 and having a problem with power. On a cold start the truck runs fine, as soon as the engine warms up I have a loss of power. This is throttle body injection and can not figure out what is going on with the truck. This problem is also intermittent and doesn't also happen. I have had it looked at by 3 mechanics and they really dont want to spend the time to figure out the problem. They have tested fuel pressure and said it was fine, but I dont seem to believe they are correct. It feels like the truck is sometimes running on less cylinders, and sometimes when i give it throttle it stalls. This happens at a red light or while driving and accelerate. I am steering over thinking its the fuel pump(maybe there is crud on the inside of fuel tank) but im no mechanic. I would appreciate any help or suggestions if anyone else out there had a similar issue.
    Is this model equipt with a mass air flow sendor? This is a common problem with this age GM products. It's located on the air intake before the air filter. The test is a highly technical 'tap on it' according to Chilton's manual. If the engine sputters or dies, you've got it. Generally a $10's of dollars and 30 minute repair. Quite worth the check.
  • johnboy60johnboy60 Member Posts: 1
    how do i replace the centre support bearing if i don't have a hydraulic press?
  • kevbadkevbad Member Posts: 2
    takes a little bit to start up and when it is running is sputters like it wants to die. I think there is a problem with the fuel system. when i spray choke and carb cleaner near the TBI it runs normally, so i replaced the main gasket to no avail. then i proceeded to change the fuel filter. I am stumped please help............... :mad:
  • kevbadkevbad Member Posts: 2
    engine sputters when running. the main gasket to the TBI was cracked so i changed it to no avail. then i changed the fuel filter with no luck either. I am stumped.... when carb and choke is sprayed to the outside of the TBI near the main gasket the engine runs fine as long as their is a steady spray. so I am stumped....HELP Please?
  • jarrottsgracejarrottsgrace Member Posts: 1
    2001 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab, V8, 150K miles. Today went to start truck. Ran for several minutes and then sounded like it was out of gas. Would not start again. Never replaced fuel filter so tried that. No luck. When you turn truck on before starting it, you CAN hear the fuel pump turn on for several seconds. Checked all the fuses and they were ok. Purged the gas line just to make sure I had some pressure and got air out. Pressure looked ok (don't have a gauge) and all air relieved. Still no luck. Checked the plugs to make sure I had a spark and they appear to work. The car turns on and it tries to start, just doesn't turn the engine over. Just replaced the alternator last year. Doesn't appear to be the starter. Question: Can the fuel pump still be bad given the fact that I hear it come on for several seconds? What about the fact that there appears to be pressure when the line is purged? Any other thoughts? Thank you so much for any help you can provide and God bless!!
    fuel regulator ??

there should be a vacuum hose connected 3/16" dia to the fuel regulator, pull it off if it has fuel in the vac line the regulator is bad.
  • krazyk22krazyk22 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 125K miles. Here recently when I accelerate, the truck often revs up into the 3000 rpms, and and sounds like it's going, but the truck doesn't move. I have been assuming it must be the transmission, but could this be something to do with the fuel system?
  • grandpajongrandpajon Member Posts: 2
    quite offten the problem is the electrical connection at the fuel pump the wires donot make a good contact and arc causeing a poor connection . Try to get the new better engineerd designed connecter it worked for us.
  • grandpajongrandpajon Member Posts: 2
    try changing the fuel pump relay .You can just swap it for one of the other relays in the relay box. good luck.
    i can't figure out how an engine can rev to 3000 rpm and have a bad fuel pump. if the engine is reving up and its not moving it go to be in the transmission.
  • dambler47dambler47 Member Posts: 1
    Truck was run out of gas. A few days later truck would stahl when slowing to a stop. Now truck started sputtering and died. Can't restart. Fuel pump was changed about 15 months ago. I installed a new in line fuel filter but can get truck to start. I can hear pump activate when key is turned on. Can't find any fuse for pump. Don't know what else to look for. Any suggestions?
  • indianaharveyindianaharvey Member Posts: 3
    Where is the fuel filter on a 2009 Silverado Z71?
    Where is the fuel filter on this truck?
  • rholden1969rholden1969 Member Posts: 1
    It is Goverened at 89 Thats the fastest it will run unless u have chip put in it :cry:
  • chevyboy7chevyboy7 Member Posts: 4
  • chevyboy7chevyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    can anyone give me any insight on the best way to drop the gas tank on my 2001 chevrolet silverado 1/2 ton ext cab reg bed z71 silverado. i need to replace the fuel sending unit and the pump (just because i am down there anyway) because i am getting bad readings on my gas gauge. thank you
  • stef8stef8 Member Posts: 11
    Before buying a new pump, read this.

I replaced my fuel pump 2 months ago. This afternoon i took the old pump on the bench to see what was wrong. I put the pump in the sink and filled it with water, put 12 volts on the pump wires and guess what happened? It was whinning and screaming and nothing was comming out.

So I took that charcoal filter off at the bottom of the pump, took it back in the sink and WOW !! no noise, water was flowing out of it like never before.I let it run for 30 minutes, still running perfectly, even tried to clog the exit whit my thumb ..no way!!

Before spending $600 + and a lot of trouble, try removing that charcoal filter out of the way. Just replace the inline filter more often....

If you need to access the tank, there is a simple way, just let me know.

Stef
    good suggestion!
  • signon123signon123 Member Posts: 2
  • signon123signon123 Member Posts: 2
    I just changed the fuel filter on my Sierra, how do you bleed the air our of the lines?
  • empire102empire102 Member Posts: 1
    how do you get to the pump without dropping the tank
    thank's john
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I have a friend who is an independent mechanic and he always lifts the box when he changes a fuel pump.
  • bkrclmbrbkrclmbr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Silverado 5.3L I am not getting power to fuel pump. I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. I have seen on here others with the same problem and have tried everything. Switching out the Fuel Pump Relay, checking ground continuity, etc etc. Any ideas would be great!
    Here's the simple way to access the pump. Unscrew and remove the three bolts retaining the box to the frame on the driver side. Completly loosen but leave the nuts on the three bolts on the passenger side. Remove the 2 screws and the push-pin behind the gas cap.

You are ready to tilt the box from the driver side. (Like a dump truck but sideway). Put a piece of 2 x 4 between the wheel well and the ground.

Better access to the tank if you remove the left rear tire.

Enjoy!!

Stef
  • ebonysilveradoebonysilverado Member Posts: 4
    ok where exactly are the bolts cause on my 01 silverado i can only see one bolt between the driver cab and the rear wheel on either side.

where are the other bolts

fyi i learned so far that the pump failure is caused by running the fuel low and but i haven't heard any one talk about the reason for the crazy gas guage and how to fix it
    not sure if you got this resolved.

my experience is the clogged fuel filter causes the rapid movement in the fuel gage. what i mean by this is the needle as quickly as possible will move left to right.

reason: the fuel filter was clogged, it is not he filter its self that causes the erratic movement by its self. the voltage/amp draw from the fuel pump that is effected as a result of resistance to fuel flow beacuse of the filter being clogged.

increased resistance of fuel flow caused increased amp draw by the fuel pump causing the gage to move erratically.
    Sorry, my mistake. There are 4 bolts, 1 right at the begining of the box, 1 about 24" further away, bolts 3 an 4 are behind the rear wheel.

Look carefully at the jonction of the box and the top of the frame.

Regarding the fuel gauge, unfortunatly it comes with the fuel pump as an assembly.

The only way to replace only the fuel sender unit would be to get one in a scrap yard.

The reason why your fuel gauge is acting erratically comes from the wear of the potentiometer in the fuel sending unit. The sliding contact (wiper) blades are getting inconstant reading from the semi-circular resistive element.

In simple words: you need a new one!

Stef
  • ebonysilveradoebonysilverado Member Posts: 4
    i figured it out the hard way
    but i did it

i will post pics soon...

that three bolts oversight really killed me but if found the other cause the box wouldn't budge

i will post pics

just need to know if there is a special procedure for rehooking it .. heard someone mention air in the fuel line.. is that a concern?
    No special procedures.

Put the key to ON position, wait for the pump to stop, do this 2 or 3 times, then start your engine.

Stef
  • hdking57hdking57 Member Posts: 2
    Truck will start 100 times and idle fine for about 30 seconds and then die out
    did you check the fuel pressure regulator?