Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• erk5erk5 Member Posts: 21
    my roommate also recently bought a '97 QX4. he went to the Infiniti dealer (here in San Francisco, CA) and they had tan ones in stock. If they don't have tan ones, they should be able to order them! Don't give up. I wouldn't settle for gray mats in a tan interior... it's a QX4! not a Pontiac Aztec or Nissan Xterra.
  • erk5erk5 Member Posts: 21
    I posted this a couple of weeks ago. anyway, my friend just bought a 97 QX4 and it seems like it needs new shocks. Has anyone replaced their's yet? do you recommend going to Infiniti or an independent shop?
  • suvfreak1suvfreak1 Member Posts: 6
    I am just curious why Infiniti QX4 2003 doesn't have the tracation control (DVC) and the tire pressure monitor that came with the PF LE 2003???
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    it wouldn't need traction control at all. As for the tire pressure monitor, I have one of those little doo-hickeys that looks like a pen. Works just fine ;)
    spudgal: That doesnt really address my curiosity!! If you go to the Nissan website and check the PF 2003 LE 4WD you will see that the DVC (Dynamic Vehicle Control) is an option that includes the tire pressure monitor. You must agree with me that the convinience of the automatic check is much better than going everytime to check the pressure with the doo-hickeys. Tire pressure problems are the main reason for tire blow outs due to excessive heat due to an underinflated or overinflated tires. It is a major safety feature in my opinion. If the traction control is not needed since it is a 4WD then why is it advertised for the PF LE 2003 4WD??? BTW...I have a 2002 QX4 4WD. Thanks.
    to DVC than traction control in the sense I'm thinking of, then. My Acura TL has traction control, where if the wheels slip, then power from the engine is decreased momentarily. This would be the opposite of the QX4's auto mode, which is why it sounded so wierd :)

I supposed the tire pressure monitor could be good too, but I usually check mine visually every other day - we live near a lot of construction, so nails are a regular hazard. In fact, we just had one pulled from the TL last week! I guess it's just another one of those things I never knew I needed!!
  • charleychencharleychen Member Posts: 5
    I had thought the major difference between the QX4 and the PF was that tranny from the QX4 comes from the Skyline, which is an AWD system and has traction control. The DVC must be a new option on the PF or just that they decided to put the infinity tranny on it and give it a different name.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The AWD system on the QX4 (derived from the Skyline) was introduced to the Pathfinder for the 2001 model year...2 years ago. At that point, there was NO difference in the powertrain between QX4 and the PF. The new VDC and TC inroduced with the 2003 PF is new for both models, although TC is essentially an electronic version of the existing Limited Slip Differential. These 2 features are a safety/performance enhancement to the existing powertrain and 4wd system which BOTH models can benefit from.
    Thanks Phil47: Does that mean the 2003 QX4 has the traction control with the now standard LSD on the 4WD? What about the tire pressure monitor on the PF LE 2003? The QX4 doesnt have it and it was not mentioned as a new feature anywhere in their literature!!! Any ideas?
    but Infiniti has not released VDC, TC or the tire pressure monitor on the QX4 yet. I would have expected it to show up on the QX4 first. I suspect it is very close to being offered. I still think the PF/QX4 without the VDC and TC is a great vehicle (I have nothing but praise for my 2001 PF LE).

LSD is offered on the 4WD QX4. It works well, but I think TC has advantages (I really like the way it works on my 2001 Honda Odyssey during the winters here in Calgary).
    Did anyone purchase and install those front and bumper gurads on their QX4 2001 and above? 1-Do they enhance or distort the look of the car?
    2-If good then which looks nice on a silver colored QX4?
    Any idea what would be the best brand? Thanks.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I saw one 01 or 02 QX4 in a parking lot with the front Grille & Bumper guards. Watched it slowly drove out and hit the road. Forgot its color, but remember it's not black. To me it looks very good, agressive. It gave me a more solid feeling.
    The grill & Bumper guards itself is black and I think it's genuine Infiniti's.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Unless you are hearding cattle and need to push the cows around...they look stupid...Especially those folks with their Range Rovers...
  • lcwoslcwos Member Posts: 35
    THIS IS FOR qx4guy and this October 5th post regarding hard starting/ cold weather.

the 1999/2000 model had a ton of TSB'S on it....and one was about hard starting in cold weather or at high altitudes. I have pasted the site for you below. I myself got sticker shock when I went to get a new drivers side seat belt for my 2000 Infiniti......my dog chewed half of the strap... well, they want $286.00, PLUS TAX, PLUS INSTALLATION!!!!!!! ARE THEY NUTS??? I have been trying to find some place on the web to check prices.......naturally, you cant find any. I just cant believe the price. Anyone out there have a "replacement seat belt site for Infiniti????...I can get fenders, radiators, headlamps, and everything else, but cant get a lousy " Infiniti" seat belt. It is a Lease and we must replace it before we turn it in. Anyway here is that link for the hard start problem.....FOR WIND NOISE....I also saw a TSB on that for the 2002. You would have to go to a different link at www.alldata.com for the specifit TSB number and date issued.
    hope this helps some other owners out there
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/76/99760110.html
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a great web-site with valuable information regarding technical service bulletins (as well as other safety-related concerns) for vehicles.

Their address is: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

Click on the TSB portion, and you'll be prompted to input specific info. regarding your vehicle. The best part is that you don't have to pay a subscription fee (as you would for info. available through the "Alldata" link above). Additionally, NHTSA is now scanning the actual bulletins in PDF format, and you can view and print these items from your own computer (assuming you have Adobe Acrobat installed).

Check it out; there's some good info. related to the QX4...

• 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    Forgot to mention that in reading up a little more on the benefits of Infiniti's "all-mode 4WD", I think I'll be upgrading from the 2WD to 4WD version when it comes time to purchase.

Seems to make sense from a safety standpoint, as well as being able to enjoy the benefits of 4WD when needed (which in my case, probably won't be that often). Given the rainy season and general road hazards found at any given time on Southern California freeways, I like the idea of leaving the drivetrain in "auto" mode and letting the technology kick-in when needed.

Of course, when it comes time to purchase (early next year), Infiniti will be introducing the new FX45 "cross-over" sports car / SUV; hmmmmmm...
  • lcwoslcwos Member Posts: 35
    It is a nice site,but it does not give you ALL the service bulletins relating to a vehicle....That's why I like the "alldata" site. You can at least get an overview of problems immediately, for any make or model......and the NTSB site wanted $35.00 for a copy of a bulletin, so it is not all free...... Anyway, the more sites with TSB and RECALL info that you can research, the better.....too many times the dealership gives you that " I dont know of any problems.....or "we have not been advised of any problems"... yet there are TSB's out there.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I am 2002 Pathfinder owner,but I was just wondering if any of infinti owners have problem with dash rattling noise.If it does than I don't wanna buy QX4. It's really annoying.
    A pretty good site for Infiniti information, recalls, etc. is www.infinitihelp.com....
    I posted before that my 02 QX4 had only one rattle, the long piece of vent next to the front windshield. When it was rattling, I pressed it down and no more rattle. Squeezed some sponge into the gap between this vent piece and rest of the dash just deep enough not to been seen. After that NO rattle at all. Infiniti should take care of that but it's a piece of cake for anybody to fix. Overall in terms of rattle, my QX4 is better than my 00 RX300.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    With the prices they get for parts, they should be able to pay you handsomly for it. You could probably make a living off of just that part.
    Infiniti will buy my sponge.
    There are many plastic pieces that butt together where rattle could occur. Sponge or the like as an interface work well. In my gone 96 Maxima, I used to apply sponge, tape or so in many places, and it made almost all little rattles and squeaks go away.
  • chrisfrmgachrisfrmga Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 1999 QX4 but it sounds like the engine is a little bit loud. I have a Lexus and the engine is so quiet. I just have some reservations and was hoping for some feedback from any 1999 QX4 owner.
    I would difinitely go for a QX4 2001 and above models. The engine is much better (240 Hoirse power as opposed to 170). I am sure you will be able to find used one by now. Cheers.
    on my '02. The dealer has ordered the part and will call me when it comes in. They told me it had warped. Only tracked the culprit down when we took it off-road.

Even if you don't take the Q offroad, 4wd is really nice. Water on the roads in Vegas turns the streets really slippy, and the auto system works seamlessly. It's nothing like the 4wd on the pickup we had. Being rear wheel drive, I could imagine the backend getting away VERY easily without it.
  • charleychencharleychen Member Posts: 5
    How is everyone's gas mileage? I have 700 miles on the car and the last two tanks I'm only getting around 11-12 mpg. That seems extremely low for a V6, especially when I'm pretty gentle with the gas pedal.
    I now have 13 K on my 2002. I got about 14 average city mpg for the first 3.5 K. Then I changed to Mobil1 synthetic oil and I went to 15.5 mpg. I would consider myself not so easy on the gas pedal.
    Just filled gas and calculated last MPG, 100% city drive, with 89 octane gas. It's 14.4 mpg.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I have 3500 miles on my new QX4. With 50/50 City/Hyway, I'm averaging 16.9 mpg (US gal) on 92 Octane. Roughly 18 mpg on the Highway on roughly 16.5 in the City ...
  • tracey15tracey15 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 1999 Infiniti QX4 six months ago and have been very pleased. HOWEVER, I seem to have the same mysterious rattling in the front passenger-side dash (reference conversation between JIAMIN and PATHFINDER13). Unfortunately it is not from anything being loose on the dash (ie vent- so sponge will not work...) or anything in the glove box. I have taken it into Infinity and they said they removed "something" and all should be fine. It's not......the annoying noise persists...Am I alone?
    Yes recently I found rattle from front passenger side. Recalled I tried removing the glove box thing to take a look at the microfiltration but didn't go all the way into it. Maybe I developed it.
  • qx4owner1qx4owner1 Member Posts: 12
    I have 3600 miles on my new QX4. With 50/50 City/Highway, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg on 92 Octane. The only problem that bothers me is that when the gas tank reaches 16 gallons (empty) the empty gas tank light goes on. I counted and with light on I have about 5 gallons left, which is about 82 miles of driving that I could still do. In all my other cars empty light goes on when 2 or 3 gallons left.
  • spydrxxspydrxx Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Black QX4. I love the car, great price, ride and dealer experience. My question is does anyone know if Infiniti sells extender straps for using the "Latch" system to secure a rear facing child's car seat? The child seat works great but the Latch system makes it a no brainer to secure and remove if needed.
    Thanks
  • liu_suliu_su Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Need your help please. Both of my 1998QX4 tail lights need to be replaced(both cracked). If anyone knows any reliable dealership or website which sells original parts for a very good price.
    Thanks a lot.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Hi Folks,

I have a '01 QX4 w/ Bridgestone Dueler HT tires w/ 40k miles. I'm pretty sure I can get another 10k out of them but they are horrible in slick/snow conditions (always have). So, I'm thinking of purchasing some Michelin Cross Terrain Tires $133/ea thru Tirerack. Use the Cross Terrains thru the winter, maybe switchback to the Duelers in the spring and switch back to the Michelins when the Duelers have to be replaced.

Anybody have the Cross Terrain's? Any opinons?

Thx
    Can't directly comment on the Cross Terrains but I have a '01 QX4 bought in July of 2000 and it came with Michelin LTX tires [245/65 17]...Have about 22,000 on them and can hardly see any wear....Reasonably quiet and a nice ride and work great in mud ...I would go for the Michelins over the Bridestones...
    When I turn fog lights on, either looking on the road from driver's seat or looking into the lights from front of the car, the fog lights are not bright at all compared with the HID.
    Is this fog light really useful when it's very foggy? Or, has anyone upgraded it to some HID type?

Thanks.
  • jeffqx4jeffqx4 Member Posts: 3
    In response to Erick's post #1402; Campaign ITB97-026 provides FREE rear shocks & springs if you complain to the service writer that your Q bottoms out when fully loaded. Mention that and the campaign number and it's your's FREE.
  • drshrinkdrshrink Member Posts: 2
    My wife drives our 2001 QX4. We bought it new and have had no problems until now. A few weeks ago, it started pinging on 89 octane. She brought it to the dealer and he installed what he called a coil...A0001 and fuel injection cleaner..999MP-AM103P. She has had no problems since but the work was just recently completed, so there is no way to tell for sure. There were also a few other parts listed on the service receipt record.
    Has anyone else had this happen?
    Never heard of it...But, you may want to use premium gas as it will run better...and not screw up the computer...
    The manual suggests using premium gas. As we have had this discussion here before, you should use premium since this is a high performance engine. That doesn't mean big or fast but high compression ratio as it has been explained to me.
    But Pathfinder manual says regular gas. I believe Pathfinder and QX4 have the identical engine with same rated HP and torque, compression ratio, etc.
    My Pathfinder manual, 2001 LE, sez Premium (91+ octane). This change came with the switch to the VQ series engines for the 2001 model year. The old VG33 engines only required 87 octane.
    I'm sorry that I got the info from edmunds.com here that 02 Pathfinder only requires regular gas. So edmunds.com info is not accurate in this case. Same thing with Lexus LX470 vs Toyota Land Cruiser if I remember right.
    1) found http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/ is another good site.

2) found on my 02 QX4 that the climate temp. can be adjusted even with auto A/C turned off. Tried this: turn AC or ECON on and watch the set temp. then turn it off; adjust temp knob with nothing displayed since it's turned off; turn it back on and noticed the set temp. changed. My 00 RX300 does not do this.

• reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    Will be pulling a u-haul trailer from MN to FL next week. It will be interesting to see how it does. If I stay out of OD it really revs at 75-80mph. I'll probably leave it in OD for most of the trip.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Towing tips for SUVs discussion for some tips, and enjoy the drive.

Steve, Host

• brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    I towed a very large pop up with my QX4 (over 3000 lbs loaded). Believe me, I knew it was there all the time, large hills were not easy. My trailer is large, so I installed an electric brake controller because the Qs brakes could not handle the trailer at all. Spoke to the service manager and he told me to leave OD on don't turn it off. Sold it since but my 0.2 cents.
  • dineldinel Member Posts: 6
    My lease on a 1999QX4(small engine) is up in the next few days. Does anyone have any idea what that vehicle, with 37K miles, could be purchased for from the leasing company. I would value your opinion since this was my first leasing arrangement.
  • suv2002suv2002 Member Posts: 20
    Dinel--

We bought ours after the lease as couple of years ago. Went to Kelly Blue Book for prices then armed with that info, spoke to bank. They gave a number and then we asked if they could do better. They did.

Bottom line: banks don't want the car and would rather unload it. Good luck.