Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    You're right, the RAV4 V6 is f-a-s-t, being only 3600 lbs with that engine. However, the RAV4 is a smaller vehicle, and not really in the same size class as the Edge. Of course, the Edge is still heavy for its size. I was suprised how cheap the MSRP is on a RAV4 V6($23,000 vs. $25,000 for an Edge, base, no options).
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Ah, my bad. :blush: You are right about the Edge transmission. It is not the same as the Aisin in the CX-7.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    SO, is it TESTA or TESLA? please go back to playing with your match-box cars. :mad:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • foxrunfoxrun Member Posts: 16
    Guy the CX-7 and the Edge are the same. In fact so much so that Mazda will be making any over flow at the same plant in N.A. as the Edge, they have already made that annoucement.

Toyota? guess you haven't been reading about thier problems as of late. Like the criminal investigation looking at how thier executives have been hiding, YES HIDING SAFETY ISSUES. Maybe it would explain the highest recall rate that Toyota has of all car manufacturers for '06 and the horrible transmission problems thier new flag ship Camry has.

Hyundai consumer satisfaction surveys? Do you have any idea what the difference is between the best marks and the worst are in those surveys. Financials? LOL did you mean the corporation better known as South Korea?
  • carfreak8carfreak8 Member Posts: 58
    I would get the CR-V because it has proven reliability, awesome value and great features. The CR-V is also very nice looking inside with great fit and finish throughout. The CR-V is one of the only if not the only in it's class to offer a navigation.

I have driven the CR-V and the Santa Fe and I noticed right away in the Santa Fe that there was tons of hard plastic all over, everywhere.

As for the RDX, although it is based off the CR-V, it is a bit classier but it is also $9000 more for top of the line Models. If you need seven passenger seating, the Santa Fe is the only one of these choices that offers that, but if you don't then the CR-V is the better value as a whole. The RDX has not been a big seller since its release and most likely attributed to the price.

As for what you said about the cheap looking interior, I think it is better than the Santa Fe, material wise. Also the CR-V leather material is very good quality (along with the cloth) but do NOT get the beige leather because it is yellow looking and cheap looking.

My CR-V EX-L w/navigation, is on order because I found it to have better value than its competitors as a whole. The surfaces are very nice and not cheap feeling and looking. The interior is a huge improvement over the previous generation.

Back to the Santa Fe, I think it is a pretty nice car, although i still have an issue with the image of the brand and also the previous cars reliability of Hyundai. A huge issue for me is the resale value which has proven to be excellant in the CR-V but pretty bad in the Santa Fe. Although it will probably improve with this generation it cannot possibly get not at the CR-V level.

If you plan to keep the car for the long run, then this would not be an issue, but you should consider long term reliability which would then favor the CR-V also, as for the Santa Fe or any other modern day Hyundai has yet to be proven. I also would have to say it is nice that they offer a DVD player/TV.

I would Say in the end that the CR-v has the Best value of the group and then the Sante Fe, then the RDX.
    well, i have an '02 explorer and i still think it is a great vehicle after 4 and a half years. it has only 239 hp, but can handle any load i throw at it. i feel so inadequate to something with 25 more hp, NOT!
    Thats because you understand what a truck is. Imagine a few years of pulling decent loads with a unibody (CUV).

SHAKE & RATTLE BABY.
    "Guy the CX-7 and the Edge are the same."
    Wrong. Do you really even work for Ford?

mschmal, "Mazda CX-7" #359, 7 Mar 2006 4:36 pm

Toyota? Uh, I wasn't suggesting you compare Toyota build quality to Ford's, but if you insist:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/

Check out Hyundai while you're there. And yes, the company is South Korean. But I'll give you three guesses where they are building US-market cars now...

http://www.hmmausa.com/company.cfm?id=28
    actually, i referring to carrying a load inside; 4-5 passengers and luggage, on top; cargo box, and out back; 4 bike rack.
    anything pulling a large trailer load will get stretched out over time.
    Oh ya, yes it is, nana nana na na.

Have you ever looked close at the JDP #'s they tell you NOTHING.
    splitting hairs is silly and JDP has made alot of money from it.

Oh and ya the Koreans are making cars here now, and it makes it easy for them when Koreans can't, by law, buy American.

The Edge is the best buy out there in the hottest segment of the market right now, and its poised to take highest quality awards just like the other CD3 platform car called the Fusion (">link titleit just beat out the Accord & Camry). The thing that makes me curious is why all this pisses you off so much. After all you did say you were done talking to me but here you are.
  • rafael2rafael2 Member Posts: 20
    explorerx4 I understand you mad about owning a Ford but dont come here to take it out on the forum readers. Testa= mispell it was Tesla. I also gave you the LINK so be a man and step up. ;)

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1
    Well, Good job Carlitos92 :D

I think we all can benefit from that one going to "foxrun"

foxrun must be :surprise:
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    The Edge was built to compete with the Highlander and Murano. The CRV and CX7 are not it's competitors. I read a review of the Edge in Motor Trend and they liked the car, although they thought it was too heavy. In my opinion the Edge is drastically overpriced. The one they tested stickered for 35,000 which is too much money for a Ford. Do that many people actually buy a fully optioned Ford? If I had to have leather and all of the bells and whistles I would find a way to afford a Lexus RX, the car the Edge wants to be.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The RX is $3K more than the MKX, which is at least $5K more than the Edge. No way you'd get a RX for Edge prices unless it's 3 years old.

The CX-9 will be on the sister platform to the Edge/MKX, not the CX-7.

The Fusion is winning all sorts of awards for quality in it's first year and while it's no guarantee of future reliability there's no reason to think it will decline. Ford's past problems with reliability have been there since day one. And since the Edge is built on a slightly modified Fusion platform there's no reason to think it will have much worse quality.

"Too expensive for a Ford" is nothing but a stereotypical cop out. And try reading something other than Motor Trend if you want a balanced review. All the other reviews have been better to much better.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    "try reading something other than Motor Trend if you want a balanced review" With so many opinions floating around, the consumer is left scratching their heads. I know I was, before I bought the CX-7 AWD w/tech. I read Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road and Track, Consumer Reports, JD Power, newpapers, blogs, and on and on. I read all the reviews and the comparisons. Just trying to be the smart consumer. My initial gut instinct was to rush out and buy the CX-7, because the styling and features captured my imagination. But I knew I had to stop myself, run a sanity check and try to balance my purely subjective opinion of the CX-7 with as much fact as I could from those sources.

So, having read all of those diverse opinions, I'm still satisfied that I spent my money wisely. I'm thrilled to drive CX-7 and that's with over 10000 miles under my belt! :P

Vince.
    The CX-9 is set with the future Ford "Fairlane" not the Edge/MKX.

It goes like this, CD3 Mazda platform- Mazda6, Fusion/Milan/MKZ, CX-7, Edge/MKX. D3,D4 Volvo- XC-90, 500/Montego/Freestyle, CX-9, "Fairlane".

Here where we make the Edge we have already started the first steps in bodybuild for the D4 "Fairlane" which has a build date sometime in early fall '07.

Now granted the CX-9 can be looked at as a streached CX-7 but its dimensions are closer to the "Fairlane".
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    I work for Mazda..The CX7 does NOT share platform with Edge, the Edge is based like you said on the 4 year old subframe of the M6 (due for a redesign in 07!) it's based on a combination between the M3 & M5 platforms (NEWER DESIGN!)..or does the new sunroof weigh 500 pounds?
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Newsflash buddy, the CX-7 is an Edge with a 4 cylinder the same 2.3L that goes in the Escape,Focus,Mazda3,Tribute & Mazdaspeed3 , of course its going to be CHEAPER and that 6 speed transmission is EXACTLY the same as the Edge. Rav4 is a 4 cylinder too, wake up.

Wake up and smell the coffee then...explain to me how the CX-7 is an Edge with a turbo 4 banger. You need to seriously do your homework before you start talking nonsense from your behind. I'm sure that the comparison being done to the Rav4 is the 6 and not the 4 cyl. The engine is noisy and uncomfortable.

Oh ya you did say Sante fe, well lets leave that one alone the poor people that actually buy that should not be attacked its just not polite.

While I've test driven all vehicles except for RDX (UGLY) and Edge (WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER), I can afford any of these vehicles; but ended up getting the SF. But you spitting off words to justify in your lame perception of people drive what they can only afford, just goes to show how ignorant you are. Like I said, having driven the vehicles discussed in this thread, we went out and bought the SF yesterday. Just like Toyota and Honda had their time to fall and get back up to make reliable vehicles, Hyundai is doing the same. They've learned about the American market and what mistakes to avoid. Or did you think for a second that Toyota and Honda were reliabe from day one and that their chance to claim bankruptcy never existed?!

Hyundai has come a long way and their reviews speak for themselves. We're giving the SF a chance and compared to the other vehicles test driven, it has more for less, it's smooth, comfortable and spacious, exactly what the wifey wants. It fits our needs and it's not because of financial limitations :rolleyes:

While it's obvious you're a Ford fanboy, Ford has alot to prove in this day and age. Especially a tank for weight Edge and just offering a 5 seater with no 7 seater option. Ford has more to prove than Hyundai does... Have a nice day!
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Quoting from the November 13 issue of AutoWeek: "The Edge is Ford's latest twist on the new CD3 platform, which is common to everything from the Mazda 6 and Lincoln MKZ to the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9. The Edge is closest to the CX-9, sharing almost everything except the body panels, interior trim, and suspension tuning."
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    bigelm - I second your opinion on the SF. I, too, am in the thankful financial position to buy anything, and the Hyundai is my first choice. Times change, just as they did in the early '70s through the '80s when Honda and Toyota got their act together. The earlier Hondas and Toyotas were not great vehicles either, but somehow everyone seems to forgot about their early products. Hyundai has some very nice products now.
    After much thouht, Im getting the 2007 CRV for her (or just keep the 2001 Odessey EX) and the Prius for me.

Dont like the Prius to much but, we like it more than enough to live with it very confortable.

To much is happening in the world to be buged down by a car whos company worked hard for over a decade to get its bad reputation.

Im moving On. :shades:

Happy hunting
    Raf
    Hey ho buddy your the one that came onto a FORD FORUM what did you expect.

And for the simularities between the CX-7 and the Edge I see now where I went wrong and thank you for your keen obsevational skills. One is a F-O-R-D and the other is a M-A-Z-D-A ok ok I got it now.

Heres one for those aspiring to be more then sheep. Ford has a controlling interest in Mazda and has said since that they want to utilize all parts of thier interests and as such crossbred techniques and such. Well just imagine when Both Mazda and Ford come out with a vehicle at the same time that have generally the same dimensions what could possibly be the chances that they might share the same pedigree. That alone should ring bells.

NO NO you must be right no chance of any simularities.

BAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAA
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey ho buddy your the one that came onto a FORD FORUM what did you expect.

Actually this is a comparison topic and the Edge was a recent edition to the makes being compared in here.

And it's much more pleasant in here when we are comparing the cars and not calling each other names.

/hint
    i knew about tesla already, but i don't see what an r-c car has to do with this discussion. :P
    if the post made more sense, i wouldn't have commented on it.
    if you do get a tesla, let us know how you like it, but not in this discussion, unless they have a cuv version. :)
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    With all due respect, I think you are way off
    base in regards to the quality of Hyundai.
    I think this company has come a long way in
    quality. Hell, I'm driving a 2007 Lexus RX,
    (which, by the way, runs perfectly fine on regular unleaded) but don't think I haven't
    taken notice of what's coming out from Hyundai!

I believe the 2007 Santa Fe has really become
    competitive in this market. I have to say
    I'm impressed by it. I like the Murano and
    the CX-7, and I think the Edge is gonna do fine.

But, I do have a question. You don't mention
    if you've ever driven any of the competition
    to the Edge. Now, if you haven't, then it
    kind of invalidates your whole argument, doesn't it? I was just wondering if you've had
    a chance to drive at least a few of the other
    models.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    "6 speed transmision-O/D this car is at the top of its game. What about that vista roof? is there anything out there even close to it? its like having all the advantages of a convertable without any of the disadvantages. Nav system, Sattelite radio, mp3 connection and this guy needs only regular 87 octane rated gas to get its 265 hp rating unlike all its competition needing ultra premium for thiers"
    Sory, but you are wrong.
    Let’s see, this is just one of many examples. Stop taking about your emotional impressions, just look at the data. You can be the judge, if you do not trust Motor Trend evaluation in DEC issue you can also compare Edge to any other SUV, here at Edmunds.

07 Mitsubishi 07 Ford Edge
    Outlander
    Engine 3.0 220hp 3.5 265hp
    0-60 mph (sec) 8.1 8.0
    Braking (Ft) 128 142
    600-Foot Slalom (mph) 62.7 55.7
    Lateral acceleration(g) 0.78 0.72
    MT Figure 8 (sec) 28.3 29.3

Price range 21.4-25 K 25.3-30.7K
    Fuel type regular regular
    Fuel economy 19/26 18/23
    Basic warranty 5yr./60000mi. 3yr/36000 mi.
    Drivetrain 10 yr./100000 mi. 5yr./60000mi.
    6 Speed Trany yes (shift able) yes

Oh, yes but it has that big sunroof….
    Ford's CD3 platform started with the Mazda6 platform but added length and width and made other mods. The Edge, MKX and CX-9 are based on CD3 - the CX-7 is not and is much smaller. They're cousins like the Mazda6 and the Fusion but they're not on the same platform.
    Sure your RX can run on regular but it can't get its suggested HP rating when you do.

Never said Hyundai quality wasn't up to snuff, in fact I believe there is no quality gap. The thing with Hyundai is that they are ugly as sin.

Driven more then an Edge? Now how hard would that be? Test drives are free.
    yes they are.
    Where did the outlander come from?

Why not compare the outlander with jeeps rubicon?
    Wrong again. CX7 share platform with Mazda3, European Focus, Volvo 40. Do you have access to any reliable information, or all of this coming from your lunch break talks?
    It come from the same source as Toyota RAV 4, It,s a small country called Japan.
    Do you think we can add one more CUV to this party? Just released 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander is in the same size/price category, with standard V6, available AWD (with 2WD, 4WD AUTO and 4WD LOCK, which stay locked at any speed), navigation system, DVD, Xenon headlamps, Bluetooth etc.
    It’s a bit bigger than RAV4, with better handling and interior, bit faster and more economical (19/26 mph) than Santa Fe, matching its 10 years powertrain warranty,
    And with the best price/value of all of them is already outselling RAV4 and CRV in Japan. Yes I now it is a small player in this market, but this forum should be about cars, right? Anyway I test drove it about 2 weeks ago and it’s on my short list now with Santa Fe and CX7. What do you think?
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    How do you think the interior compares to the Santa Fe? Which one would you prefer for long road trips?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    The Outlander is a SOLID entry in this category. Checked out a loaded one in Boston a couple weekends back and gotta say that Mitsu threw everything at this new ute. It is certainly on par with the rest of the competition, may even be better in certain areas and the pricing for it is quite reasonable.

It deserves every right to be part of this comparison thread. And it deserves a serious look if you're shopping :D:)
    I agree that the Outlander is a solid entry, but yawn, it's so ho-hum....looks just like an ordinary SUV...no pizzazz...not exciting at all....

Where's the ZOOM-ZOOM?

Vince. ;)
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    "Newsflash buddy, the CX-7 is an Edge with a 4 cylinder the same 2.3L that goes in the Escape,Focus,Mazda3,Tribute & Mazdaspeed3 , of course its going to be CHEAPER and that 6 speed transmission is EXACTLY the same as the Edge."

Actually, the CX-7's 6-speed automatic is the same as the upcoming CX-9, which is sourced by Aisin. It is not the same one Ford uses. Sorry to burst your bubble.

"Oh ya you did say Sante fe, well lets leave that one alone the poor people that actually buy that should not be attacked its just not polite."

Let's see... Hyundai is #3 in initial quality for 2006. The interior and fit/finish have been ranked better than any of the cars your in your comparison.

"The Rav4 has 166hp at 6000 rpm pfffff and the 6 cylinder has 269, lol I'm surprised they didn't just say 266, like Toyota doesn't have a history of over rating thier HP, plus the Rav still only has a 5 speed transmission."

Despite being "overrated" (one word, not two), the Rav4 still beats the Edge to 60mph. Does the extra gear really matter if your still faster?
    Sorry, but Ford does use the Aisin 6 speed tranny in the Fusion, Milan and MKZ, but not in the Edge. The Edge uses the new 6F 6 speed tranny developed jointly with GM, if that's what you meant.
    I meant that it's not the same one in the Edge. Sorry for the confusion.
    The interior in both cars received four stars in MT SUV of the Year contest, (RAV4 got three). Personally I think they are pretty close in material quality with Santa Fe being slightly more attractive, (except for fake wood) and in the Outlander- more sporty looking. Seat comfort is a different story, IMO better in a Mitsubishi, not that flat and short as in Santa Fe. Some owners reported this on this forum before. But all of this in very subjective and you have to try both, to find one which suits you better.
    Its all personal opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder you know. Sure CX-7 is pretty but she always orders the premium meals and she is always hungry too.
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Mitsu threw everything at this new ute

Good: the audio system records your cds. (I wonder how that copyright works when you sell your car given how the music industry is so prickly these days.)
    Bad: the third row seat looks like a discarded prop from "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Really, you don't want to be driving around town with it up.

I looked at it but something is just off about the design: Hood too long? Triangle-shaped panel at D pillar? Sits kinda lower in the back than in the front (optical illusion)? Weird tinted glass panels on liftgate that stick out at about eye-level when open? Tire diameter in proportion to wheel and fender flare? RAV-y roofline?

Maybe it all works for some folks but for me there are better looking options out there.
    So maybe she's not low-maintenance, but she knows how to please a man, and that might be the most important part... ;)
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    The CX-7 is getting a lot of knocks -- no pun intended -- about the need for premium fuel. Now the main thing for what I'm about to posit is how many miles one drives per week, month or year; and how your fuel pricing is structured.

In Colorado each grade is about 10-cents apart. However, due to how engines work at elevation, your premium drinking ride will most likely run fine with mid-grade. In fact, when I bought our turbocharged Volvo S60 in 2002 the saleman told me to go ahead and use the mid.

(4 years/ 50k miles later, no problems. However, the car did tattle on me after using regular on a trip. At the dealer, "Sir, your car's computer reports misfiring... have you been using regular?" Big brother is a Swede!)

Anyway, if I fill a 20-gallon tank once a week, and the difference is 10-cents per gallon, we're talking the price of a Happy Meal. Is that really worth going to the mat for, or sacrificing one's desire for a particular vehicle? Don't let that requirement be a deal breaker for you. Unless, of course, you're driving much, much more where the costs get nasty. I empathize with those who do.

Curiously, as prices fluctuate between $2 and $3 dollars per gallon the same 10-cent margin applies. (What's up with that?) As prices go up the hit for premium is relatively smaller.

I just wanted to put that out there. I took the premium fuel requirement off the "minuses" list when making comparisons between vehicles -- for my needs a $2-per-week hit can't be the deal breaker where a $30k car is concerned.
    "Maybe it all works for some folks but for me there are better looking options out there."
    It works for many folks, and most car magazines and sites. Which ones do like that much better, other that really nice Mazda CX7 in this price range?
    I agree with you on the 3rd row seat. But this is a joke in every SUV of this size.
    I actually thought the Santa Fe's 3rd row wasn't that bad at all, and I'm 6'3". I wouldn't want to ride across the country in it, but a couple of hours would be OK. The thing that sucks is that there is only 10 cu. ft. of storage behind the 3rd row. I thought the controls were laid out very well, and it was very easy to drive. The interior was fairly luxuorious for it's class/price. I can tell you that it's no sports car, even with the 242hp V6.
    "Its all personal opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder you know. Sure CX-7 is pretty but she always orders the premium meals and she is always hungry too"

My CX-7 mirrors it's owner. Good lookin', muscular and requires lot's of TLC and gourmet food to keep it all runnin' smoothly! :shades:

Vince.
    "My CX-7 mirrors it's owner. Good lookin', muscular"

You must be talking about this nice girl from Mazda commercial, right? BTW I bought this blog is about cars...
    I also think Mazda is the best handling, best looking CUV out there, I'm only not that crazy about engine choice.
    I think the CX-7 would have been better with the 3.5L V6 that is in the Edge. The torque curve would be much smoother. It would get better gas mileage since it is a bit lighter than the Edge too. Oh, and it would use regular instead of premium.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I think the CX-7 would have been better with the 3.5L V6 that is in the Edge. The torque curve would be much smoother

Well it depends on the purpose of the vehicle. The CX-7 was designed to be a crossover that scores well in the handling/braking and overall performance ride/drive area....if you put in the other engine it becomes a big station wagon like every other crossover. The weight and balance would be way off with the 3.5l. They probably wouldnt be able to use the suspension parts from the 3&5 with a heavier engine also... In typical Mazda fashion they wanted to be a little different than the rest of the crowd.
This discussion has been closed.