Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    M.S.R.P. on my Limited AWD with XM, Premium Package, carpeted mats, and first aid kit was $29,880. Invoice was $28,052 which is what I paid, LESS the $1000 rebate. At the time I thought I got a great deal but I now know that I did not; others here have paid from $1000 - $2000 BELOW invoice, LESS rebate. I try not to look back; regardless, I'm very happy with the car and my dealer treats me like royalty. All in all, not too bad.
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    I stand corrected- sort of. If what that site is saying is true, then my standing assumption that 'xenon' and 'HID' were the same thing is false. (You may note the xenon bulbs are $16 a piece, while the HID conversion package is $270.)

I still stand by my previous assertion that unless this conversion package is made (or at least endorsed) by Hyundai, I'd steer clear.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    leeharvey418 & pongs - thank you for your replies. I also thought xenon and HID were the same. I will run this by my husband. By the way, he thinks they are too bright to oncoming traffic. But as I grow older my depth perception is getting worse, and I would prefer something brighter.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    See this site for some details on the difference between true xenon HID lighting and xenon-filled halogen bulbs.

http://www.xenonrider.com/flyersale/faq.shtml
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking before- true xenon lighting is different than what someone chooses to call a 'xenon' bulb. Putting HID lights in a vehicle requires that you add something akin to a welding power supply to the vehicle's electrical system. They call it a ballast on that site, but basically it's a power supply that's capable of generating a transient 20 kV charge to set the arc, then a square wave alternating current (just like a MIG welder).

In any case, read all the way down to the bottom- any HID lighting that is not OEM (i.e., factory installed) is not street legal. Unless you think that laws are just for other people, aftermarket HID conversion isn't an option.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    That's too bad :( . Perhaps when I trade or sell the SF in seven or eight years, all vehicles will have HID. Thanks for all the info y'all have given.
  • bmw335xibmw335xi Member Posts: 11
    When the CX-7 fist came out I really liked it. Then the Edge came out. I was confused because they are so simaliar but so different. The CX-7 is a four the edge is a six clyinder. But they both have there highs and lows. The CX-7 is lighter and faster but runs on preimium which with the gas prices hurts. The Edge is more powerful runs on regular but is somewhat fat. They both look good inside and out but I love the vista roof. But it all comes down to price. The CX-7 is cheaper but will the gas keep it down. The Edge is more expencive but has some good features. So what to choice?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    CX-7 and Edge are very much different. Edge (five-seater) is actually related to CX-9 (seven seater), among other Ford/Mazda products. I'd agree, both are good CUVs but Edge is pricey considering the competition, and heavy; while the CX-7's tubro 4 runs on premium - a big factor to consider nowadays.

My suggestion is to test drive both. Also, have you considered any others in the class?
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    The just-released issue of Consumer Reports includes a look at the Ford Edge. Also included are the Saturn Outlook, Hyundai Veracruz, Chrysler Pacifica and Mazda CX-9. It seems clear that to them the Edge is in a class of larger SUV's than the CX-7 and the Santa Fe which were reviewed earlier this year.
  • bmw335xibmw335xi Member Posts: 11
    My best friend just bought a Santa Fe and they love it. I've been in it a couple times and it is really nice. I have all so been seeing more and more of them on the road!
    I all so like the outlander. I have been it them a few times and they are pretty nice. I will have a lot of test driving to now!! :D
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i actually went to the dealer to get the outlander - they didn't have any on the lot with a 3rd row - and the price of the one we wanted was way more than the santa fe - never thought i would be in a hyundai and lovin it! the outlander didn't have the dual exhaust look that i like either - when the dealer offered us a high end hyundai - my wife and i almost left - glad we didn't!
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    After looking at and driving the Murano, Santa Fe, RAV 4, CX-7, Tribeca, and Edge we chose the Edge. It has the best combination of comfort, performance, and features that we wanted. It looks awesome in Redfire with charcoal interior.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.

Colleague here at work just got one of those Nuclear Orange Glow Metallic ones. :shades:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Or as Ford calls it, Blazing Copper.

According to the latest Ford Edge commercials in the tri-state area, Derek Jeter has his in Blazing Copper as well.
    Some how I doubt he paid for it. ;)
    You can check out its standing against RAV on this page

That chart has some serious flaws, though.

They give credit for the paddle shifters twice.

RAV4 offers 18" rims and they list only 17"s. That's incorrect.

DRLs on a Toyota are just a matter of installing a jumper. The spare fuse included does the trick. 5 seconds do-it-yourself, and extremely easy. Not exactly "Optional, dealer installed" as they say.

They credit the Outlander for having a lower base price and then they credit it again for many options that are not included in the price. If Mitsu gets credit for options, then they should compare the prices including those options, naturally.

Just read the chart carefully, is my suggestion.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> They give credit for the paddle shifters twice.

Nope. Once. Paddle shifters is a convenience feature: transmission control on steering wheel.

>> RAV4 offers 18" rims and they list only 17"s. That's incorrect.

Nope. Top of the line RAV4 “Limited” comes only with 17” tires. You could get 18” tires on “Sport” version, but then you would loose a bunch of features, such as heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, leather seats, auto headlights off, dual zone AC, rear DVD system, and a bunch of other stuff. So RAV would be even in bigger disadvantage.

>> DRLs on a Toyota are just a matter of installing a jumper. The spare fuse included does the trick. 5 seconds do-it-yourself, and extremely easy. Not exactly "Optional, dealer installed" as they say.

Sure, some can do-it-yourself 18” tires, navigation system and “jumpers”. But some don’t even know what the jumper/fuse is. When I pay this kind of money, I don’t what to learn about some jumpers. Besides, on RAV it’s extra $40.

>> They credit the Outlander for having a lower base price and then they credit it again for many options that are not included in the price. If Mitsu gets credit for options, then they should compare the prices including those options, naturally.

The MSRP price is for the car with no packages, only with standard features. And there is a clear indication, which features are standard.

Outlander offers many more standard features at lower price.

Comparing them fully loaded, the Outlander still offers more features for less money. You can get loaded Outlander for $29K. Fully loaded (with outdated features) RAV4 True Market Value, according to Edmunds.com is $33.3K.

Either way, standard or loaded, Outlander offers many more features for less money. Just read the chart carefully, is my suggestion.
    Nope. Once.

The transmission is mentioned twice. Look again.

You read the list and might think you can't get 18" rims at all. Plus, replacement tires cost more and you sacrfice ride and unsprung weight, so bigger is not automatically better. Look at the slalom and skidpad results to determine that. They give Mitsu double credit, because better tires are the reason it had better times in the figure 8 to begin with.

You can use a 15 amp fuse rather than a jumper. It's much simpler than you think.

Outlander does offer more features, but my point was the list was a bit misleading, and Edmunds still picked the RAV4 as the winner.

I don't own a RAV4, for me the gate that swings open the wrong way and blocks the curb was a deal killer.
    Outlander offers many more standard features at lower price

I'll let each shopper look up TCO, but your actual cost depends on the depreciation, not on the MSRP. It's what you pay minus what you get for it when you sell it.

ALG rates the RAV4 with 5 stars for depreciation, best possible score, while the Outlander only gets 2 stars, pretty poor.

You may get more features, but in the end I bet it ends up costing you more in depreciation (plus a little more gas, too), so you will pay more for it down the road.

Look at your cost of ownership, not MSRP, which is meaningless nowadays.

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Well,

A lot of people will cross shop the Edge & CX-9. I have owned both recently.

I purchased an AWD Mazda CX-9 GT on Memorial Day and hated it so much I traded it for an AWD Edge SEL+ on Labor Day weekend. I got a great deal on a demo Edge so I did not lose that much money on the trade. The seats in the CX-9 were the most uncomfortable that I have ever had. They are ok for short trips, but are very hard on long trips. The GT trim seats also have a very uncomfortable seam running down the side bolsters that can cut into your hips and rear end. If you are fairly thin and light this probably will not be a problem. However if you are large, I HIGHLY recomend that you spend a LOT of seat time the CX-9 before you buy one. It is quite expensive to have the upolstery/seat modified. It would have cost me more to have the seats modified ( so that they Matched ) than trading it for the Edge because of the two tone leather used in the seats.

I love the Edge... It is roomy comfortable and quite. I love the vista roof. It is the only sun roof that I have seen that you can open at 70mph and still have a normal conversation or hear the stereo. Both vehicles had the top of the line stereo. The Mazda Bose sounded a little better, but the controls on teh Edge are much better. For example you could not pause a CD/MP3 on the Mazda. There was no Mute Button on the Mazda either. I like the key pad entry. I like the trip computer. The nav system is better than the one in the CX-9. The voice command in the CX-9 is useless and the DVD map is badly out of date...

There were also a lot of little thing about the CX-9 that irritated me as well... Like the strange door locking/unlocking program. It had very little usable interior room for such a large vehicle. Ride was quite stiff with the 20" wheels... There was a lot of wind noise from the side mirrors... The sunroof was very noisy even at low speeds. It only got about 15mpg... It was also a little slower than the Edge due to the extra weight. It did handle a little better than the Edge.

Some people seem to love the cx-9, but I hated it....
    I'm surprised there were so many differences between what are essentially platform-mates with the same drivetrain. Wow.

I test drove the CX9 and what bothered me was the center console had a small portion that juts out and rubbed against my right knee. It annoyed me the same way the cup holder in the new Mazda Miata annoys my left knee!

Minor ergonomic issues like that can drive you crazy, though.

Here's a photo: it's the silver stripe that runs along the top/side of the console. There is no reason for it to stick out like that, but my knee ended up resting on that hard surface and I was not comfortable either.

Other issues I found on a test drive - the heated seats were only on/off rather than many levels, and the On position was burning hot (even with the A/C on, which is weird). Visibility to the back was poor but the backup camera addressed that.

I liked it otherwise. Didn't spend enough time in the seats to feel what you felt.
    The center console did bother me a little in the CX-9, but I am 6'-4" and my knees usually hit somthing in all but the largest vehicles.

The thing to note in the picture is the very hard rolled edge seam where the dark leather meets the light leather in the side bolsters on the seat bottoms. If you rear/hips are wide enough to hit them, they will probably bother you....
    Good to point that out to prospective buyers.

Overall, the wide center console also makes the foot well seem a bit narrow, especially on the right side. Note there is more room on the left beyond the seat.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    "I'm surprised there were so many differences between what are essentially platform-mates with the same drivetrain."

Both are very different vehicles, the Cx9 is bigger and lighter than the Edge, the engine gets tuned different than the Edge, the transmission is not the same.

"the heated seats were only on/off rather than many levels"
    The heated seats will be the same temp. as your Heater, you set at 75 the seat will be at the same temp. it is not cooled, so will only be at high if you are running the A/C.

"... It was also a little slower than the Edge due to the extra weight. It did handle a little better than the Edge."
    The Cx9 0-60 listed:7.7 sec. The Edge: 8.3 sec! It's the gear ratios that make you feel moving fast and the bouncy suspension. The CX9 will stop 22 feet shorter than the Edge from 70 mph.

The sunroof in the CX9 opens automatically all the way unless you stop it, unlike the Edge, so it will seem noisy.
    Too bad your salesman did show you how you can activate the mute button(its in the owners manual) by cancelling the voice command. Same goes for:"Like the strange door locking/unlocking program"
    The mpg forums seems to be equal for both cars.

Too bad you did not fit in the seats, everyone is built different. Enjoy your Edge, its a very sharp looking car.
    The heated seats will be the same temp. as your Heater, you set at 75 the seat will be at the same temp. it is not cooled, so will only be at high if you are running the A/C.

That doesn't make sense to me.

If I want A/C, why would I want the seats burning hot? :confuse:

It was so hot is actually hurt. I had to turn it off. You could cook burgers on it! ;)

If it's linked to the climate control temps then you still would never have it above a certain temperature.
    Of course, if you don't want the seats to get hot when you're running the A/C you don't need to turn the seat heaters on. :confuse:
    I'm surprised there were so many differences between what are essentially platform-mates with the same drivetrain. Wow

For 2007 the engine was the same, for 2008 Mazda is now building the engine in Japan, and it is a 3.7L with 273hp and 270tq. The tranny's are also different, and I think that is where the Mazda has a distinct advantage, as well as Mazda's suspension setup. AWD system is also the same.

The Edge and CX-9 really drive nothing like one another. IMO
    "If I want A/C, why would I want the seats burning hot? "

Why would you turn the heated seats on while you're sweating? :confuse:
    "For 2007 the engine was the same"
    Avi I agree, but when you drive both cars and rev the motor, they don't sound like the same motor! A few magazines commented on that.
    Lower back sprain. :sick:

You just want a little heat to take the edge off. It was still mid summer.

Any how, no matter what, under no circumstances should heated seats burn your backside. Mazda has to limit how hot it gets.
    I am sure the service dept. would be able to adjust the setting, or better yet, get one of those massage seat covers to have the heat just were you want it. I hope you find a vehicle the fits your needs.
    I do have a seat massager like that here at work. It helped.

Back's better now. :)

We ended up getting a minivan. I test drove several crossovers but every one made major compromises in space compared to a minivan, and cost more, and used more fuel, and...the list goes on.
    Are you sure you're happy though? :P
    You'd be surprised how nice a van can be.

We all get caught up on image, and what other people thing about us, but the fact is a van is simply the best choice for most families.

Ours has power doors (WONDERFUL feature), a 12.1" movie screen, room for 8, and 30.6mpg on our last trip. With 266hp on tap. And I paid $25k for it.

No crossover can do all that.
    Any how, no matter what, under no circumstances should heated seats burn your backside. Mazda has to limit how hot it gets

Mazda's heated seats work in a pulsating way. As soon as they get hot, they turn off for a little while, then automatically turn back on....the heated seat switch stays lite the entire time, though.
    Cool, maybe mine was just malfunctioning, then.

My expectations are high for a Mazda because my Miata is 14 years old and still perfectly reliable. :shades:
    I am sorry, but since I have owned both vehicles, I know that most of your comments are wrong.

"the heated seats were only on/off rather than many levels"

The heated seats in the CX-9 simply pulse on and off with a timer. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with the temp setting...

"... It was also a little slower than the Edge due to the extra weight. It did handle a little better than the Edge."
    The Cx9 0-60 listed:7.7 sec. The Edge: 8.3 sec! It's the gear ratios that make you feel moving fast and the bouncy suspension. The CX9 will stop 22 feet shorter than the Edge from 70 mph.

I do not know where you got your numbers, but I can assure you that the Edge is quicker to 60mph than the CX-9 which is about 200-300lb heaver. I have owned and tested both my self and now this for a fact. The Edge also has a better acceleration in the 40-70mph range which is usefull for passing on the highway.

The brakes are better on the CX-9, but my test show that there is only about 10ft difference period... Again this is based on first hand test and not by magazine reviews done with different driver on different surfaces in different conditions.

The sunroof in the CX9 opens automatically all the way unless you stop it, unlike the Edge, so it will seem noisy.
    Too bad your salesman did show you how you can activate the mute button(its in the owners manual) by cancelling the voice command. Same goes for:"Like the strange door locking/unlocking program"

It does not matter how much you open the sun roof in the CX-9 it is still VERY noisy. The amount of opening has nothing to do with it. The voice command could not be deactivated. I tried the procedure and it did NOT work...

The door locking cannot be altered in the cx-9. All you can do is have the dealer have the door automatically lock when you walk away. ( wich only works about 1/2 of the time by the way) I had this done and it still had the strangest way of locking/un-locking of any vehicle that I have ever owned. For example if the driver door is open you cannot unlock any of the doors with the fob or the buttons on the door handles.
    My expectations are high for a Mazda because my Miata is 14 years old and still perfectly reliable

Can't argue with you there!
    My fault, the heated seats do not have the temp. adjustment my reps fault again! All the rest you need to check up on, its talked about all over, the numbers I gave were from edmunds, the weight you need to check is with the vista roof. I don't know what are you doing beating a CX9 in a CX7 forum though, I had to go check all the forums and make sure you are not posting everywhere, so sorry enjoy you Edge man, but aside from the heated seats, the rest is correct. :P
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Like something from all 3 but have some doubts.

Santa FE 6 cylinder 2.7 GLS with auto 2007:
    When I went to two dealerships, noticed fit and trim problems with the Santa Fe as far as wiper blades that seem to already be rusting, deep scratches on the paint on new car, after market parts falling off. Twice on two different cars right in front of me. Really scares me that these issues are there though cosmetic they could lead me to believe there are mechanical issues that I should also be concerned with. Not sure I trust MPG that is stated on window, edmunds forum tends to agree. Two interior colors camel and light grey. Rather have darker interiors. Nice looking SUV on the outside. Large cargo and interior.

CRV: 4 cylinder 2008
    Thought it was a bit smaller and noiser and slower then the other two. I seem to have issues with inline 4. Rather have the DOHC, Real time price was slightly higher then other two. Great colors for inside and out. Like it that it comes with a dark interior. But could always use more colors. MPG also goood, Honda MPG rating not as reliable as Toyotas.

RAV 4: 4 cylinder 2007
    Not as noisey or slow as the CRV maybe due to DOHC. Limited interior colors but darker grey then the Santa FE. Gets pretty good MPG and I actually believe the window when it comes to that since I have had many toyotas with stated MPG being realistic. Prices tend to fluculate depending on what is available on the lot at the time.

Not sure there are any other SUV's I would be interested in. The Saturn hybrid VUE was interesting but I tend to think GM can't make decent engine/transmission/suspension/electrical. They even went as far as putting in a honda drivetrain at one point. The 2008 dont even have the plastic door panels which I think was a big mistake to get rid of.

Interior colors a big problem with me when they are too light. I want to keep these cars for many many years. If they get nasty looking it turns me off.
    Well,

It is obvious that you do not have any first hand experiance with the Edge and are quite mis-informed on the CX-9. I have owned both and know exactly what they will and will not do.

As for posting here, I know that many people ( myself included ) will and do cross shop the Edge and the CX-9.

P.S. I have bashed the CX-9 on many other fourms, so I guess you need to do some more digging...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honda MPG rating not as reliable as Toyotas.

Um...huh? :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    I think his mind hasn't quite figured out what his fingers were typing. :)

I think he meant to say that the "Honda MPG isn't as good as the Toyotas."
    Actually, if his previous posts are any indication, he means that the Honda's rated mpg isn't as close to its actual mpg as the Toyota's rated mpg is to its actual.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Oh. Well, I'm not quite sure how someone can objectively look at that over a broad spectrum, but the CR-V mileage boards seem to reflect some happy owners.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I seem to have issues with inline 4. Rather have the DOHC

Honda does have DOHC inline 4. I am not sure what you think DOHC is, but it simply stands for Double OverHead Camshafts.

Good luck in your car search.
    That may be true for some models, but IIRC Consumer Reports wrote an article about that phenomenon and they found that the Honda S2000 was on their list of underrated cars in terms of EPA MPG.

YMMV.

I can say that my Toyota Sienna far exceeds the EPA numbers, even pre-2008.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I read the latest edition of the U.S. News and World Report. They are ranking cars and they have a new website called www.RankingsAndReviews.com . Anyway, the rate the Hyundai Santa Fe 14th among mid-sized SUVs. I was taken aback however when I read the review they actually give the Santa Fe a rather high ranking.

However, one of the reasons why it's ranking is so low is because they call the GMC triplets (Acadia, Enclave, Envoy) as MID-SIZED SUVs. Aren't these three vehicles large SUVs! Their dimensions are only an inch or two off the Tahoe or Yukon!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    No, they're midsize just like the Explorer. The Acadia has a 3 inch shorter wheelbase, 7 inches shorter in height and 1-2 inches shorter in width and overall length. It's also 500 lbs lighter and only has a V6 while the Yukon has a V8.
This discussion has been closed.