Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Flame On ...

Buzzy ? You have got to be talking about the 4 cyl base model. I have a 6 cyl Limited and there's no way that engine is buzzy. Nor would I refer to it as a cheap piece of tin. I wasn't very impressed with my 1st test drive of a 4cyl base model. It was sparten on the inside and there was no mistaking it for anything other than a 4 cyl. The limited model with a V6 is a different story.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    well, OK. I exaggerated by describing the Rav4 as a 'cheap piece of tin'. (poetic license :)) However I did notice a number of little things that I thought I would miss that brought it down a notch relative to some other vehicles I've been looking at. Radio controls on the steering wheel (I consider these a safety feature), a auto-dimming rearview mirror (yeah, I know the dealer can add one), no gas charged lifts to lift up the hood, a trip computer, no decent step on the rear bumper- and the whole rear door thing. The aesthetics of the interior design also just didn't measure up. (subjective of course)

I do like that you can fold down the rear seats from a lever in the back- that's cool!

The 3.5L6 does offer great power, but it needs some sound muffling. The sounds that I heard emanating from that hood were very '90's to my ears.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Inside of your new CX-7 came a "Quick Start" booklet on the gear shift, it states to allow your turbo to cool down for at least 30 seconds after driving up a long hill, or freeway speeds.
    Avoid shutting the engine off abruptly after a long or HARD DRIVE, damage to the turbocharger may result...

I've never owned a turbo before, but if the people who designed and built this baby say "cool down for thirty seconds", then I'm doing just that! ;)
    And honestly, how can anyone be so lazy as to want to coast to your destination rather than sitting in the best crossover SUV for thirty more seconds? :blush:
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    so you think cx-7 handles better than x3,x5, toureg, and fx's? LOL
    I'm confused. I have audio controls on my steering wheel and an auto dimming mirror. Your reference to "sounds emanating from the hood" being very 90's ... well, I don't even know what that means. There are no sounds coming from my hood. If you mean the exhaust note I'm still stumpted. This is one of the most quiet vehicles I've ever owned .. unless it's too quiet for your tastes.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    07 Mazda CX-7 (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3843.html)
    Frontal
    Driver - 5 Star
    Passenger - 5 Star
    Side
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    TBD

06 Hyundai Santa Fe (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3515.html) (07 TBD)
    Front
    Driver - 4 Star
    Passenger - 5 Star
    Side
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    FWD - 3 Star
    AWD - 3 Star

07 Toyota RAV4 (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4039.html)
    Front
    Driver - 5 Star
    Passenger - 4 Star
    Side (TBD, showing 06 RAV4 instead)
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    FWD - 4 Star
    AWD - 4 Star
  • almcg2almcg2 Member Posts: 14
    You can just feel how solid the cx-7 body is and how well built it is. I took my first long ride in it ysterday. DAMN! I love this car more everyday. Much smoother highway ride and much quieter than many reviews led us to believe. What were they smoking? I just finished off my first tank of gas and even though I used the A/C way too much, and drove way to fast, I still got 18.8 mpg combined, with mostly city miles. It only cost me $4 more to fill my tank on premium, than it did in my 1998 S70 non-turbo Volvo. I can handle that. Speaking about turbos..... THIS SUCKER IS GREAT! Great pickup power in all gears, even 6th overdrive. No problem zipping up the hills on my ride yesterday. One of my gearhead friends, who builds vintage hotrods, saw the cx-7 and took a drive in mine yesterday evening. He loved it and told his wife he wanted one. They were in the market for a new family car and were looking only at U.S. models. Now he's a convert. He thought the build was great, fit and finish great, handling excellent, breaking excellent, power excellent, look excellent, Sound system excellent. Funny... he usually hates foreign products.
    Oh ... the navigator... I've never had one before. I love it. Already made getting places easier. I live in S.F. Bay Area and we have many tricky roads and businesses hidden away. I don't do anymore backtracking or time wasting searching anymore. LOVE MY NEW CX-7!!!!!!!
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Actually, yes. All reported by Car & Driver:

CX-7: Roadholding 0.84g
    FX-35: Roadholding 0.80g
    Touareg V8: Roadholding 0.82g
    X5 3.0i: Roadholding 0.82g

Okay, so this is only one little part of the handling equation, and yes, the X3 performs better... But my recollection of the magazine's opinion on the X3 was that it was an extreme rough-rider with the sport package. They found it inappropriate for everyday use, and these are sporty guys!

Put another way, looking only at skidpad grip and braking, the CX-7's numbers are comparable with a Porsche Cayenne V6. Do you think anyone is cross-shopping THOSE two? :shades:
    hahahahah... funny how reviews work. Same thing with movie reviews. The "experts" analyze the heck out of a movie, talking about set lighting, direction, blah blah blah... and then Joe Public loves it and gives it a rave review along with hundreds of other Joe Publics. I believe it might be the same with some car reviews. When you read buyer reviews of the CX-7 you find a bunch of happy people raving about handling, breaking, pickup etc. This includes myself. I think the CX-7 handles great. I'm 56 years old and been around the block a few times, in many cars, including a few sports cars. I love my CX-7 in so many ways, for so many of it's attributes. We can talk about how many g's it generates on a turn, but that may be like talking about the treble range on various speakers. At some point, the average consumer can't tell the difference. I didn't buy my CX-7 to have the perfect car. I bought it because I felt it was the best all around bang for my buck. I wanted an SUV that looked sporty and was fun, as well as having some SUV utility. I didn't need an SUV that could handle mountain trails and streams. The CX-7 had the look and the feel I wanted. If I didn't feel this way, I would have sprung for the extra bucks of a Murano, or Infinity, or X3, or Range Rover etc. I would have convinced myself that I needed to spend the extra money to get the SUV of my dreams. Instead, I got very close to the SUV of my dreams, for a whole lot less money. I canceled out the RAV 4 pretty fast. I thought it was very plane and not very interesting. And... it's not just the money, or I would have gotten the Santa Fe. It's not just fuel consumption or I would have the Rav 4 right now. It's not just 0 - 60 or quarter mile speed, or I would have which ever car was tops in that area. It was the whole package for a very reasonable price. Man I love that body style too.... though someone else posting on this forum might think it sucks. Who the hell cares. I bought what I liked, not to please or compete with someone else. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... and loving it!
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    We bought a Chevy Citation in 1980 based on this comment form C&D: "The Citation is not only the best US car ever made, it could well be the best car ever made period."

Worst car we ever had. So much for expert reviews... ;)
    Your honor... I rest my case.
    Fine, but the only subjective comment I referenced was about the X3... numbers-wise, I'm sure the Citation was right on par with all the other 1980 vehicles we find embarrassingly horrid now. My point was, if you want to compare objective performance, there is nothing laughable about a CX-7 handling as good or better than all the vehicles mentioned.

As far as the Citation being "the best car ever made," I remember back in high school thinking my '76 Buick Skyhawk was the best car ever made, too. Had grand dreams of souping it up and making a racer/chick magnet out of it... I ended up selling it for $300 and wouldn't touch it now, even for free, and even for nostalgia's sake. How times change... ;)
  • wtap2wtap2 Member Posts: 8
    After reading your post the only thing I can say is "Excellent"!
    A subjective vieww of the Citation is not needed. It was pretty much accepted as a poor example of Detroit iron. I was working as a teaching consultant in Vermont when they came out. They attracted alot of attention, due to GM marketing savvy, but were really pretty low end products. It's true many other U.S. cars were pretty nasty at the time, but the Citation was exceptionally nasty.
    Hey.. I had a Buick Skyhawk or Skylark or whatever it was called, too. My dad was an exec for GM here in Fremont, Ca. We made Buickss in the Fremont plant. He walked one of these through the assembly process. Wass buying it for my mom. It was called the "California Grand Sport". A limited edition only for Ca buyers. It had a 425 cubic inch Buick Wild Cat engine, which turned out 400 horsess. Freakin fast! Too fast for my mom, so I got to drive it for the rest of my highschool years. 68-69. Great car, real muscle. Things went down hill after the 60's and early 70's muscle car era came to a close. Boy, those were the days but then again, gas was 31 - 34 cents a gallon. In 69, when I went off to college in Oregon, I was paying 26 - 29 cents a gallon and started with a Chevy Vega, 1st degree trash! I ended up trashing it and buying a used 1960 MGA sports car.... way more fun!
    As far as the CX-7 handling as good or bad as other suv's, all I can say is that I test drove everything, and I mean everything. The Infinity was fun, but way too over priced. The rear view was terrible. Lots of obstruction around a too small rear window. Poor gas mileage also. The murano was fun, but felt larger than I wanted and interior was very plain in my view. The SRX was plush but clunky. The Lexus was nice and zippy, with pretty cool interior, but high pricing again. and on and on and on.... the CX-7 had lot of zip, and nicer interior than the Murano, felt roomier than the Infinity for some reason, and handled great. Price was excellent, compared to most others, especially when you consider what you get for the money. So I bought it. Money wasn't the main issue, but I couldn't ignore it. I love the CX-7 turbo.
  • mschellemschelle Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone could provide some information on Mazda dependability and quality. Let's face it, hands down Toyota shines again and again on quality (although I understand there are some floor problems with the new RAV4 that I read about in the forums, sounds like a bad weld to me) and Hyundai is absolutely dedicated to top quality because they know that is the way they will surpass Toyota which is how they are inching up the J.D. Power scale with their newest vehicles. So can someone speak to stats on Mazda quality? Where they stand? :confuse:
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Well, just going by JD Power, it would look like this:

Toyota > Hyundai > Mazda

Toyota is still at the top of crop, evident by the most recent VDS (measuring 2003MY vehicles, while both Mazda and Hyundai finished in the middle of the pack and below industry average. Hyundai, however, performed extremely well in the most recent IQS, even finished ahead of the Toyota brand and ranked third amongest all nameplates. Given historical trends, 2009 VDS should have Hyundai fairing well :)
  • bigfootxx2bigfootxx2 Member Posts: 21
    I think you will not regret the purchase of cx-7 the looks of cx-7 make real head turner but if that doesn't do the performance will. a 4cyl that will do 90mph+ in quarter
    In tulsa Ok real numbers are just over 3000 miles on ours
    6/12 to today i have put in $407.05 in 91 octane fuel total #gallon 137.1 average 22.97 mpg lowest mpg is 20.9 and a high 23.7 highway mpg friday went 230 miles to fayettville all highway but turnpike speed 80 mph well 75 mph +5 that you can get under 80 they wont stop over 80 they stop
  • bigfootxx2bigfootxx2 Member Posts: 21
    the turbo when its spinning its very and fast 100,000 rpm it needs a fresh supply of oil to cool it and let it slow down before shutting off
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    I would tell you to check each car individually. The Mazda number are down quite a bit because of the 3L v6 in the Mazda6. It is a ford engine that has had lots of problems. The other thing is that I would look at the Reliablility of the Mazda3 and CX-7 will be made at the same plant so I would compare those for reliability.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    I'd look in Consumer Reports - that's they're major forte, accumulating statistics on reliability. None of the other ratings services has stats that are as complete. Reliability can only be judged when a model has been in use for a period of time, so it takes a year or two before results start coming in.

CX-7 is too new to have reliability stats, so you have to look at other Mazda models and try to crystal-ball or estimate how the CX-7 may fair. The stats in CR seems to mirror the data reported by JD Power, in that CR awards its coveted check mark to virtually all of Toyota models while Mazda has more checkered results, with about 50% of it's models getting that check mark. Hyundai fairs even worse.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/a-to-z-index.htm

If you need more info about how CR compiles it's reports and its methodology, go to http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/consumer-reports- -car-reliability-faq-8-06/overview/0608_consumer-reports-carreliability-faq_ov.h- tm

Vince.
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Mazda = 40%
    Hyundai = 33.33%

Not exactly a large Delta.

One should also consider that the CR is based past info and that the Quality and Reliability trend for Hyundai is upward.

While I am a CR subscriber and do use them to guide my purchases, they aren't the end-all, be-all infoulable reference. Some of the items they have recommended have proven to be not-so-good purchases for my family.

To illustrate my points, consider this:

Hyundai is now rated 3rd behind Lexus and Porsche in JD Powers IQS survey. That's correct, they beat Toyota even with all those check marks from CR.

CR also didn't give Porsche any, as in none, check marks.

I'm not saying JD Powers is any better or worse than CR, just that there are lots of facts and opinions out there.

I've owned small turbo 2.4 engine vehicles before. The performance was incredible, but the drivetrain longevity is also proportional.

I personally don't care for the looks of the CX-7 and didn't care about the sporty aspect so I bought the Santa Fe. I am happy with it because it fits my families needs.

In the end, get what you want - it's your money, be happy!

Also, see my post #1236 "Hyundai Quality" in the 07 Santa Fe forum.

jcspohr, "2007 Hyundai Santa Fe" #1236, 18 Aug 2006 1:27 pm

JCS
    JD Powers doesn't have a clue as far as real world testing goes.
    The fact of the matter is that JD Powers is nothing more than just a survey company that calls after a short period to determine if you're happy or not with your selection.

The real barometer is checking whats on the road daily, and what seems to be the most troublesome of friends and families.

Consumer Reports isn't as reliable as everyone thinks either; after all this is the same publication that said the Yugo was the car of the future!

I'm a firm believer of what continues to be a problem; i.e. transmission, electrical, cooling, etc. will always be a problem for some manufacturers until a change in ownership takes over. Jaguar had the worst rep when it comes to electrical, but Ford took it over and Jag is once again touted as being a benchmark player again...

Personally I found the Santa Fe a tad more boring than the Rav 4, and looking at the horsepower to horsepower comparisons between the CX-7 and Santa Fe, it wasn't close.

After driving a Camry for four years, I was absolutely ready for something to excite my senses!

It more than fits the need for myself and the days I'm hauling the kids when Mom has to work and I don't, but the CX-7 has a zoom-zoom you won't find on anything else!
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Sounds like you need the "Zoom-Zoom". :)

Like I said before, we all have different wants/needs and should get what we want.

Also, you stated "the CX-7 has a zoom-zoom you won't find on anything else!"

Well... my Porsche Turbo had way more zoom than anything else! ;)

Regards,

JCS
    but the CX-7 has a zoom-zoom you won't find on anything else!

I fell compelled to respond to that statement. I believe the V6 RAV is capable of as much or more "zoom-zoom" than the CX-7.

From Edmunds test report The CX-7 simply got beat to 60 mph by a V6 RAV4 we tested on the same day, posting a time of 7.7 seconds versus the RAV's 7.1 seconds. Ouch.

I'm glad you like your car .. but it's not a WRX-STI.
    Depends on how you define "zoom-zoom." If it was just straight-line acceleration, there'd be no question. In a drag race, even an MX-5 is not all that quick. When it comes to a twisty road though, would you rather drive the Miata, or an Altima or Camry V6 which are "faster?" The RAV-4 is certainly well-endowed engine-wise, but I've driven one, and it made me seasick. I went with the CX-7.
    WJ,

Just curious. So, in your opinion, if a consumer is looking for a car and wants to make the best decision and do research, which magazine or publication would your recommend for consumers to consult? You poo-poo JD Powers and CR, so what's available?

For me, I reviewed CR, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Motor Week, scouring all for informed opinions. Then test drove and bought the vehicle. :)

Vince.
    Here's my take on the magazines... though I truly don't trust J.D. Powers since they don't contact the buyers, say four or five years down the road after the "newness" and warranties have run out.

I have my own way of checking on the reputation of vehicles; Kelly Blue Book and N.A.D.A.!

The best way I've been able to find out about a vehicle is to check the resale value of the car in question, or manufacturer's reputation. If a car has a bad reputation, you can pretty much be assured the resale value will be in the crapper! :lemon:
    Secondly I trust Motorweek, a PBS program with no commercial backing whose opinions are usually dead on. If they don't like it, they're at least tactful about it.

I don't have a bad opinion of Consumer Reports, I just said they sometimes miss the mark. I can't tell you how many times customers would walk in the dealerships I used to work in with a C.R. under their arms with real "know it all" attitude on their faces, only to run smack into a well prepped salesperson who had an answer to every question that C.R. raised. Some of these guys are smooth enough to sell icecubes to an Eskimo in winter!
    Sometimes C.R. is really biased, but I do trust their used car opinions, when it comes to tracking problems in vehicles, no one gets it done better than C.R.

Lastly; when comparing the CX-7... compare apples to apples, the 7 blows away any other four cylinder CUV so far! As long as we're on the sunject, you can't compare Subaru's WX blah blah blah... to a CUV. Go run it against something in the market with it. Something like the Dodge Neon RT-4.

By the way; the new Dodge Caliber RT-4 will be a monster! This thing will shut down darn near anything on the road!

# 300 horsepower, 260 lb-feet of torque
    # 0-60 in under 6 seconds (similar to Neon SRT-4)
    # 28 mpg on the highway (22 city)
    # Front wheel drive / manual transmission only
    # Quarter mile in under 14 seconds
    # 60-0 braking in 115 feet
    2.4-liter turbocharged... Yikes
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    JD Powers contacts the original owners three years out (and I think they go out to five years on their surveys). The 90 day Initial Quality Survey seems to get all the attention, maybe because there's not a lot of interest in 3 to 5 year old cars?

We have their Circle Ratings on most cars over on the research pages at Edmunds.com.

link

The other wrinkle is that some cars tend to get sold to rental fleets and they tend to glut the market, depressing prices. They aren't necessarily unreliable cars though.

And Motorweek is sponsored by Dunlop, Radio Shack, The Stanley Works and some other car site. :blush:link

Oh yeah, one more nit pick - Kelley sells a subscription book just to dealers last I heard, so you have to be careful which number you are looking at. What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?. You'll see a lot of banks using NADA - banks only lend up to the wholesale value of a used car, and some people think banks like NADA because they inflate the values a bit (enabling the banks to justify loaning more money to the buyer).

There's lots of sources you can use out there and you should take advantage of them; the watchword may be trust but verify....
    trust but verify...

'Nuff said...
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    I work for a Mazda and a Toyota dealership in CO. I drove both vehicles the Rav4 and the CX-7 for a very long time now, so did alot of customers cross shopping both vehicles, customers over 50 preffered the Rav4 for one reason: Reliability.!! Toyota had a million recalls last year! They make a great product but so does alot of manufacturers that are very under-rated. Every younger consumer after driving both vehicles they do not agree both vehicles are in the same class! So do I! I drive an A4 quottro 2001 and the CX-7 handles and feels MUCH better than my A4! I had a CX-7 demo for a month and I do not miss my car! The Cx-7's engine is the SAME in the Mazda6 Speed , which has been in the market for a year and a half with excellent reliability. The 3.0L V6 that Mazda shares with Ford is a bad engine, and also the Mazda buyers are much younger than any other Japaneese manufacturer, and by nature very tough to please! Unlike consumers used to having minor issues with their vehicles. Out of the unhappy Mazda owners less than 5% of them would like to trade into a Toyota! The rest did that comparison and do not think the Toyota will be worth driving! Very interesting consumer! Like Subaru and Volvo 15 years ago.
    There is no comparison between both vehicles to me, just sit in the driver back seat and have someone drive over 60 mph in both vehicles and see which one will whistle your ear out of place! The Mazda is much more superrior in every dimension, you just need to drive it more than once to get to see its limits. Impressive Mazda as usuall recently. As a matter of fact I would buy the CX-7 over the Touareg (which I sold for 2 years) it is a much more responsive car in real city driving much lighter and easier to steer, and everything always works!
    As the saying goes there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. A more appropriate number to consider would be the percentage of recalls of the total production. Toyota obviously makes a lot more vehicles than Mazda so it seems only logical that the total number of vehicles recalled would be higher. Also, since recalls typically affect vehicles beyond the current model year one would have to look at a 3-5 year production run to get to a meaningful percentage. Are you saying that you believe Mazda has a better track record than Toyota on reliability under that type of statistical analysis? I don't know the answer, I'm asking the question. However, when you make statements like "everything always works" which can't possibly be true you leave the impression that you are more than a little bias.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Maybe you should read this...

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13867
    I read the article before. My questions remains ... are you saying that Mazda has a better record based upon % of production?
    It took me about 2 minutes to find this list:
    Mazda Recalls by Model
    • 2006 Mazda Tribute S
    • 1994 Mazda 323

• 2006 Mazda Tribute I
    • 1994 Mazda 626 ES

• 2005 Mazda Tribute S
    • 1994 Mazda MX-3 RS

• 2005 Mazda RX-8
    • 1994 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 2005 Mazda Tribute I
    • 1994 Mazda Navajo DX

• 2004 Mazda MAZDA6 S
    • 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS

• 2004 Mazda Tribute LX
    • 1993 Mazda MX-6

• 2004 Mazda MPV ES
    • 1993 Mazda Navajo LX

• 2004 Mazda Tribute DX
    • 1993 Mazda 323 SE

• 2004 Mazda MAZDA6 I
    • 1993 Mazda MX-3

• 2004 Mazda MPV LX
    • 1993 Mazda Miata MX-5

• 2004 Mazda Tribute ES
    • 1993 Mazda RX-7

• 2004 Mazda RX-8
    • 1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

• 2003 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE
    • 1993 Mazda Navajo DX

• 2003 Mazda MPV ES
    • 1993 Mazda Miata MX-5 Limited

• 2003 Mazda Protege5
    • 1992 Mazda B-2200

• 2003 Mazda Protege LX
    • 1992 Mazda Navajo LX

• 2003 Mazda Tribute LX
    • 1992 Mazda 626 LX

• 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege 2003.5
    • 1992 Mazda MX-3

• 2003 Mazda Miata MX-5 SV
    • 1992 Mazda MX-6 GT

• 2003 Mazda MAZDA6 I
    • 1992 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 2003 Mazda Miata MX-5 LS
    • 1992 Mazda Navajo DX

• 2003 Mazda MPV LX
    • 1992 Mazda 626 DX

• 2003 Mazda Protege ES
    • 1992 Mazda B-2600

• 2003 Mazda Tribute DX
    • 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS

• 2003 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1992 Mazda MX-6 LX

• 2003 Mazda MAZDA6 S
    • 1991 Mazda B-2600

• 2003 Mazda MPV LX-SV
    • 1991 Mazda 323 SE

• 2003 Mazda Protege DX
    • 1991 Mazda 929 S

• 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege
    • 1991 Mazda MPV

• 2003 Mazda Tribute ES
    • 1991 Mazda 626 GT

• 2002 Mazda Protege LX
    • 1991 Mazda Miata MX-5

• 2002 Mazda Tribute ES
    • 1991 Mazda MX-6 LE

• 2002 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE
    • 1991 Mazda RX-7

• 2002 Mazda MPV ES
    • 1991 Mazda B-2200

• 2002 Mazda Protege ES
    • 1991 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 2002 Mazda Tribute LX
    • 1991 Mazda 626 LX

• 2002 Mazda Miata MX-5 LS
    • 1991 Mazda MX-6 GT

• 2002 Mazda MPV LX
    • 1991 Mazda 929

• 2002 Mazda Protege DX
    • 1991 Mazda Navajo

• 2002 Mazda Protege5
    • 1991 Mazda 626 DX

• 2002 Mazda Tribute DX
    • 1991 Mazda MX-6 LX

• 2002 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo

• 2001 Mazda B-3000 Cab Plus
    • 1990 Mazda 626 DX

• 2001 Mazda Protege MP3
    • 1990 Mazda RX-7

• 2001 Mazda Tribute LX
    • 1990 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 2001 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE
    • 1990 Mazda MX-6 GT

• 2001 Mazda MPV DX
    • 1990 Mazda 626 GT

• 2001 Mazda B-2500
    • 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU

• 2001 Mazda Protege LX
    • 1990 Mazda 323 SE

• 2001 Mazda Tribute DX
    • 1990 Mazda 929

• 2001 Mazda Protege ES
    • 1990 Mazda MPV

• 2001 Mazda B-3000
    • 1990 Mazda MX-6 LX

• 2001 Mazda B-4000 Cab Plus
    • 1990 Mazda Miata MX-5

• 2001 Mazda Miata MX-5 LS
    • 1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL

• 2001 Mazda MPV LX
    • 1990 Mazda 626 LX

• 2001 Mazda Protege DX
    • 1990 Mazda 929 S

• 2001 Mazda Tribute ES
    • 1990 Mazda MX-6 GT 4WS

• 2001 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1989 Mazda 323

• 2001 Mazda MPV ES
    • 1989 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 2000 Mazda 626 LX
    • 1989 Mazda 626 DX

• 2000 Mazda B-4000
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7

• 2000 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1989 Mazda 323 LX

• 2000 Mazda MPV ES
    • 1989 Mazda 929

• 2000 Mazda Protege DX
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo Coupe

• 2000 Mazda 626 ES
    • 1989 Mazda MX-6 LX

• 2000 Mazda B-3000
    • 1989 Mazda 626 LX

• 2000 Mazda MPV DX
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7 GXL

• 2000 Mazda Protege ES
    • 1989 Mazda 323 SE

• 2000 Mazda B-2500
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7 2+2

• 2000 Mazda MPV LX
    • 1989 Mazda MX-6 GT

• 2000 Mazda Protege LX
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7 2+2 GXL

• 1999 Mazda Protege LX
    • 1989 Mazda 323 GTX

• 1999 Mazda 626 ES
    • 1989 Mazda 626

• 1999 Mazda B-2500
    • 1989 Mazda MPV

• 1999 Mazda B-4000
    • 1989 Mazda RX-7 GTU

• 1999 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1988 Mazda 323

• 1999 Mazda Protege DX
    • 1988 Mazda 626 LX

• 1999 Mazda 626 LX
    • 1988 Mazda MX-6 DX

• 1999 Mazda B-3000
    • 1988 Mazda 323 GT

• 1999 Mazda Protege ES
    • 1988 Mazda 626 4WS Turbo

• 1998 Mazda B-3000
    • 1988 Mazda 626

• 1998 Mazda 626 ES
    • 1988 Mazda MX-6 LX

• 1998 Mazda 626 DX
    • 1988 Mazda 323 SE

• 1998 Mazda B-2500
    • 1988 Mazda 626 DX

• 1998 Mazda B-4000
    • 1988 Mazda 929

• 1998 Mazda 626 LX
    • 1988 Mazda 323 LX

• 1997 Mazda 626 LX
    • 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT

• 1997 Mazda MX-6
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7 LX

• 1997 Mazda B-4000
    • 1987 Mazda 626 Deluxe

• 1997 Mazda Miata MX-5 M-Edition
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7

• 1997 Mazda 626 ES
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7 S

• 1997 Mazda Miata MX-5 STO
    • 1987 Mazda 626 GT

• 1997 Mazda 626 DX
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport

• 1997 Mazda MX-6 LS
    • 1987 Mazda 626 Luxury

• 1997 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL

• 1996 Mazda 626 LX
    • 1987 Mazda RX-7 2+2

• 1996 Mazda Miata MX-5
    • 1986 Mazda RX-7 2+2

• 1996 Mazda MX-6 LS
    • 1986 Mazda 626 Deluxe

• 1996 Mazda 626 ES
    • 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

• 1996 Mazda B-3000
    • 1986 Mazda 626 GT

• 1996 Mazda B-4000
    • 1986 Mazda RX-7

• 1996 Mazda 626 DX
    • 1986 Mazda 626 Luxury

• 1996 Mazda MX-6
    • 1983 Mazda GLC Sport

• 1996 Mazda B-2300
    • 1983 Mazda RX-7
    It's very obvious you don't like Mazda. If so, why are you posting here and what's your agenda?

Vince.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If so, why are you posting here and what's your agenda?

This is a comparison topic so comparisons are fair game. However, I notice that thecat didn't cite a source nor did he mention what the alleged recalls were for.

tidester, host
    I have aCX-7 and it rocks! Me and the family love it. We love the bose surround sound system, and believe me.... it does surround you. AWESOME!!!!! When it's just my 13 yr son and I, we love to go zoom, zoom on the freeway. That turbo moves out. I think the 0-60 times would be way better if it wasn't for the turbo lag, because after it kicks in, about a second later, the CX-7 is a rocket. Passing pickup is never a problem, in all 6 gears.The ridde has been smooth, the transmission has been flawless, The leather seats are comfy as heck, love my mica copper red color. The navagation has been a great addition to the family. Now I have a navigator, that actually work, and doesn't get into arguments with me. Plenty of room as well. We are in the middle of moving to a new home and the CX-7 carries 50 in TV's, furniture, 6 to 8 boxes at a time of stuff we will probably never use.... sports equipment.... on and on. It handles like a great handeling car, not a truck or your typical SUV. We love it, gas is tollerable tool.... so glad we bought it!
    Understood, but he wasn't comparing anything. Just rolled out every Mazda recall, trying to make Mazda look bad. If a true comparison was the objective, then he could've contrasted Mazda, Toyota, and Hyundai and provided a summation of relative strengths and weaknesses for each make and model.

Vince.
    No I don't hate Mazda. In fact I've owned 2 and liked them both very much. I'm not knocking the CR-7 either. If we all wanted or liked the same vehicle they would only need to make one. I'm simply responding to what I think are some unfair statements about Toyota quality that have a Mazda bias.

My sourse was internet auto guide and the recalls were for a full spectrum of things ... some petty some not.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just rolled out every Mazda recall ...

That's assuming they were recalls. I saw no citation. I agree that in order to make a valid point one has to also list what the alleged recalls were for (i.e. trivial or serious) and provide a complete list (with citations!) of the competitor's recalls.

tidester, host
    Guess you should've specified your source in your original posting. I went there and found a substantial number of Toyota and Hyundai recall listings, too. In fact, it looks like the total numbers of recalls somewhat mirrors the total number of models each make provides, over the years. Numerically, the number of models Toyota sells is much greater than either Mazda or Hyundai. So, if one were to judge Toyota, merely by tallying the number of recalls listed, one is forced to conclude, that Toyata is inferior. Yes? I can spin the number to reflect my bias and you can spin them to reflect your bias.

Listing recalls in that manner really has no purpose. So it's a mute point, eh?

Regards, Vince.
    Maybe the purpose was to eat up forum real estate and get attention? Next time, maybe just the link would suffice - then people can go and do their own informed research. The first recall at internetautoguide I clicked on affected less than 4,000 cars. Not exactly confidence-shaking.
    -c92
    It seems you got upset and did not read all I wrote. What I was referring to by "everything always works" I was comparing Cx-7 to the VW Touareg (lots of problems) not the Toyota Rav4!!
    As far as the recalls I mentioned that because EVERY manufacturer has mistakes, and the more you produce the more problems you will have! But Toyota is not that much better on reliabilty that they will never break, I see alot of problems in the service department but not an indication that they are bad, It is normal.I love Toyotas,I sell them! But it does not mean I would buy one because of the name only,(more than 50% of my customers do), I like to enjoy my car and look forward to driving it,with minimal expense out of pocket. Honestly Toyota does not offer that in their U.S market sedans, you need to go to Lexus to get their top tech. unlike Mazda where they produce a limited number of cars, mostly designed in germany, and they have a distinctive appearence, and a much more fun and easier to control, unlike all japaneese and Korean, something you find again in high line manufacturers. That is just MY OPINION.
    Actually I feel bad I did not read all your postings before I wrote! Congratulations on your Rav4! But please do not act like the media, every car magazine rates the CX-7 better than any other Cross over in overall value, (you have to use your mind capabilities of analyzing information!) but they do not admit it being best for advertisment purposes, same with the Mazda3,Miata and the Mazda6. So please don't talk bad about a car for no reason but you bought a Rav4! It is a great truck-based Cross over!!!
  • doctyphoondoctyphoon Member Posts: 25
    Check out the latest issue of MotorTrend for a nice comparison between the CX-7, the RAV4 & the Acura RDX. The only clear weakness in the comparison is that they used the Ltd. model of the RAV4 instead of the Sport model, then rationalized away the possible positive effects of the more agressive tires and suspension. But overall an informative review of the relative strengths & weaknesses of the different brands take on a small performance SUV.
    Just picked up that copy of Motor Trend. Interesting comparisons. They ranked CX7 third behind the RDX and the RAV4. :(

Give Motor Trend credit in trying to configure each model so that they're more or less "equal" in features and capabilities. Reading their analysis, I'd have to agree with their assessments. I suppose, if I had an extra 7 grand to invest in a vehicle, I'd have chosen the RDX, as well. Oh well, guess I'll just have to be content with my third place CX7 :shades:

Vince.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    IL as in Inside Line. :shades:

Comparison Test: Small All-Wheel-Drive SUVs

"Give Motor Trend credit in trying to configure each model so that they're more or less "equal" in features and capabilities."

Nah. Me, I think they skewed the fight when they got a $37K RDX with the tech package, which isn't even an option on the RAV4. Then they went on to say how the RDX wowed them with its techical nature. "Well... DUH!" But I guess the IL comparo just goes to show that the CUV world is still a pretty close call, and different publications can stack the ratings numbers different ways. Good reading on both counts.
    -c92
    Ok, so now I've got the top rated vehicle! :P

Interesting how Motor Trend and Edmunds come up with different results. Very much subjective in both cases. Do I believe Motor Trend or do I believe Edmunds? Who's more accurate and who's more objective? Decisions, decisions.

In my case, it doesn't really matter. Already made the decision and have no regrets! :shades:

Vince.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    With 6" of ground clearance the RDX is clearly a "asphalt only" SUV.
This discussion has been closed.