Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Classic Car Shows and Events

andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
hey gang, what could y'all tell me about the Woodward Dream Cruise? Anybody ever been to it before? One of my friends, who's from Michigan, is trying to talk me into going out there this year.

Also, is there anything else exciting that you guys like to hit? I usually try to get to the Spring and Fall Carlisle shows, as well as the GM and Mopar Nationals. And the show at Hershey, PA. There's also a great classic car show in Macungie, PA in August.

Locally, there's a cruise in on Monday nights outside a local shopping center. It just started up again this season on April 3, but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet this year.

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    We have nothing very good in WA, or anywhere in the northwest really. It all seems to be in the east and midwest.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The Northwest includes the best Mustang shows in the world. Bellevue Community College is the location of the largest Mustang Roundup on the West coast. It is a four day affair starting this year 13 July.

The Concours d'Elegance in Forest Grove, OR is also an excellent and well received display of very rare motor cars. Also in July.

Vancouver, BC, Spanish Banks = another great Mustang show.
    Antique English shows abound in "BC" ie. Victoria.

Just because fintail is uninformed does not mean many quality shows in the great NW don't exist. ;)
    I'd be uninformed if I showed up at a Mustang show driving a fintail...

There's nothing here like those big shows in PA especially.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Car shows seem to be very regional everywhere. Guess it has something to do with demographics or priorities or land values or something I'm not quite hitting on. For example, in the city of Chicago, other than things like World of Wheels or Chevy/Vette Fest (indoors, usually in the winter, at McCormick Center, IIRC), there are almost no vintage car shows. The north side has no real estate on which to hold car shows, most people spend most of their money on an expensive house and a yuppiemobile or two. Go to the south side or south/southwest suburbs (near Joliet) and there are lots of NASCAR enthusiasts, many families have cheap daily drivers, an old enthusiast car or two and many homes are under $300k. Plus, there's a lot more land out there. I'd really like to go to more vintage car shows, but getting to one can be a pain for me. We do also have the Volo Auto Museum (read: pay-for-admission, glorified, generally overpriced dealer) out here, about an hour's drive for me, but their selections, IMO, aren't really representative of the vintage cars that actually exist--it's nearly all two-door hardtops and convertibles, heavily domestic, mostly muscle cars and clones. Nice stuff, but not anything terribly interesting to me, really. It's more a revenue farm than museum.
  • hudsonthedoghudsonthedog Member Posts: 552
    Go to Hemmings Motor News website and look up car shows. They list many regional car shows and you might be surprised at how many are in your area.

Pennsylvania is fortunate because this is where Carlisle Productions is centered and they have about a dozen shows a year.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    Carlisle's Spring swap meet kicks off today.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Startin now, the Triple X Drive In here in Issaquah has something going on every Saturday evening. They also have events a lot of Sunday mornings. today they are having a lot of military vehicles. I'm heading over there now as a matter of fact.

In, I think August, they have a HUGE 1955-1957 Chevy show!

You should stop by some Saturday evening. Come early because they seem to leave around 7:30-8:00. a lot of them head over to the Gaslamp to eat afterwards.
    I would LOVE to attend a Carlisle swap meet!
    Hmmm..I've heard of that Triple X too...good rootbeer floats from what I understand. Maybe I'll stop by sometime....sounds like more of a cruise-in than a show or meet, but I guess if it isn't make-specific...or excludes those durn furrin cars.

I know back in the day there would be a yearly MB event at Barrier or Phil Smart, but I don't know if it has taken place recently.

Oh, and you don't have to answer this, or you can email...but do you work in Bellevue? I work just a stones throw from the dealer here.
    Your e-mail is private so I can't answer you. Mine is public however.
    Doh...OK
  • barbadosbarbados Member Posts: 3
    If you really want something to go to, I would suggest the Barbados International Auto Show. They have some really good deals going on and it is a great opportunity to see the caribbean as well. The website is www.barbadosinternationalautoshow.com you can get more information there or just email them.

Barbados is the hot spot this season and it would be great to see what else is outside of NA
  • barbadosbarbados Member Posts: 3
    That show is said to be one that is going to bring the new, affordable and vintage cars, plus you get to see Barbados and the Caribbean. Go to www.barbadosinternationalautoshow.com...this is scheduled for September 15-17 this year. I am sure they can get you some really good deals.

Hope you find something that will wet your autoshow appetite!
  • nhclubownernhclubowner Member Posts: 4
    Show your stock or modified special interest car on Sunday May 7, 2006 at Daniels Hall, 186 Old Turnpike Road (Route 4), Nottingham, NH. Trophies awarded, food and restrooms available, inside and outside vendor space available. Fun day to meet other car enthusiasts. More details at www.tunercarmeet.com

Dave
    I was feeling ambitious enough to dig my LeMans out of the garage, wash it real quick and run it up the road to the local cruise in. Here's some pics I took at the show.

Oh, and here's a shot of how the LeMans cleaned up. And a shot from the rear...
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...but I'm going to have my 1989 Cadillac Brougham at a VFR-CLC show at Faulkner Cadillac in Trevose, PA, (just outside Philadelphia on US Rte 1 North) this Saturday, weather permitting of course! I bought my Seville STS from this same dealer.
  • erherh Member Posts: 7
    I've never been to a Carlisle event but I plan to go in June as part of my vacation. I assume spending one day there is enough to see/do everthing. Is that correct? Any advice on traffic, parking, where to stay, best times to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I would say that if you could only do one day at the GM show, Saturday would probably be the best day as it's going to have the biggest crowds and probably the largest number of vendors, cars in the car corrall, show field, etc. A lot of people end up pulling out on Saturday evening, so if you're looking to buy stuff, you'll probably find some good bargains there.

I've never been to the GM show on a Sunday, but have been to the Chrysler show, and it's usually pretty empty. The GM show is a relatively "young" event, as the first one was just in 2001. In contrast, I don't know how long the other shows have been going on, but the first Mopar show I ever went to was back in 1997, and they'd probably been having it for years by that time.

I'm going up for the whole event, as I'm putting my 1976 LeMans in the show So stop by and say hello if you see me there. I'll have a cooler full of beer in the trunk. :shades:

As for accommodations, I know hotels fill up well in advance for the Mopar show, but the GM show isn't nearly as big, so you might be able to find a room. I usually stay at a Howard Johnson's on Route 11 about 3-4 miles from the fairgrounds.

If you're interested, here's a bunch of pics I took at the GM show last year.

And for more information, you could probably go to http://www.carsatcarlisle.com or something like that. I think that's Carlisle's website.

Hope you can make it!
    Andre, how do you enter your car in the GM Carlisle? Grbeck was saying that I should bring my 1989 Cadillac Brougham because the show is overwhelmingly Chevrolets.
    Lemko, try this link. It should take you directly to the registration page, where you can enter your info. I always bill it to my credit card, but I think you can pay by check, too.

I don't know if they take registrations at the day of the show; I've always done it ahead of time. They mail you a card in the mail, and then when you go in at the main gate they just have you stop off and pick up your dashboard card, goody bag, etc.

And yes, you should DEFINITELY bring your Brougham to help balance out things a bit, because it is overwhelmingly Chevrolet. I posted pics I took at last years GM Nationals, but I tend to take pics of things I like, not necessarily what the masses adore, so my pics aren't always representative of the whole show. For example, if there's 100 '55-57 Chevies there and 200 '67-69 Camaros, I might take a pic of a couple of them that really catch my eye because they're a color I like, really well-restored, or something else that draws my attention. But it kinda gets to the point that after you've seen one '57 Chevy, you've seen them all.

And don't feel awkward about entering something that new in the show, either. Last year, somebody brought a really nice 1985 or so Parisienne. And heck, someone even brought a really rusted-out '87 or so Cutlass Ciera! :surprise:

Is your Cadillac-LaSalle club going to have any members there? If so, make sure you list that club when you register, because Carlisle Productions gives out prize money to the clubs, and it gets divvied up depending on how many cars each club has on the show field.
  • erherh Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. Enjoyed the photos. I've been to the Carlisle event website. There's a lot of info., but I think more geared to the people showing, buying, selling, etc... than the novice visitor like me just wanting to look around for the first time.
  • hudsonthedoghudsonthedog Member Posts: 552
    I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but the Carlisle events should fit the bill. Yes, there are plenty of cars and parts for sale, but among those things are items and vehicles you might not see many other places. And the variety! I just got back from the Import/Kitcar show at Carlisle and found a few vehicles I had never seen before...and I've been attending that show for many years.
    like the Spring Carlisle, Summer Carlisle, and Fall Carlisle, those shows are mainly vendors and people selling cars. But the brand-specific shows, such as the GM show, tend to have lots of people there just showing their cars. Plus, they always have other neat stuff, such as concept cars, both current and from days gone by.
  • bencar1bencar1 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to invite any, and ALL Mopar nuts, and AMC owners to our annual Meet on October 1, 2006, at the NJ Agricultural Museum. You can get a copy of our Flyer at
    http://www.bencar.freeyellow.com/2006PicnicMeetFlyer.pdf
    :)
  • bencar1bencar1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I finally made it to one of the Power Tour finales. This one ended at Raceway Park, which is only 20 minutes from where I live.

All in all, I'd have to say, it was okay, maybe even nice, plenty of nice cars, Manufacturers Displays, but overall, this is one of those events geared toward the more money than brains crowd, and I'm definitely not in that group. In fact, money aside, I often doubt my brain power these days as well, based on my inability to get anywhere in the automotive hobby industry, despite 31 years experience :(
    I'm planning on having my 1989 Cadillac Brougham at the GM show this Saturday, (weather permitting of course!) I've never had a car at that particular show.

Andre, are you still planning on having your 1976 Pontiac LeMans there? If so, how will I be able to find you? Are the cars sorted by make, class, year, or just random? I planned on putting my car in the all-original unrestored class.
    Lemko, I'm going to be there. My original plan was to come up for the whole show, but I had some complications come up, so I'm just going up for the day on Saturday.

I'll have my '76 LeMans there. They usually sort the cars by class, and sometimes they have to make the classes broader if there are too few cars. For instance, last year I think they had a class for all Pontiac Tempest/LeMans models. There was my '76, a '77 Can Am, a '73 LeMans GT, and one or two '66-67 era Tempest/LeManses. The GTOs are in another class. They also usually put the less popular cars further towards the fringes of the field. IIRC, last year the only classes further out were the full-sized Pontiacs, and then the '80-85 GM X-bodies! :blush:

I'm planning on leaving first thing in the morning tomorrow, so I'm guessing I should be up there around 9:30 or so. I guess if you wanted to pick a specific time, we could just meet at my car? Or if you thought you'd get there first, meet at yours?

There probably won't be a very big Cadillac crowd, so they might just go ahead and lump all the Caddies together in one group on the field. So it won't be like I'd have to sort through row upon row of Broughams to find you, or for you to have to sift through a sea of LeManses!
    ...looks like I'll be able to make the Carlisle Mopar Show for Saturday the 8th.
    to anyone that's in the area/in the mood...the Carlisle PA All-Mopar Nationals is this weekend, July 7-9. I'm planning on going up in the morning with my '79 NYer, and staying through Saturday evening.
    ...When is the Macungie Show?
    the Macungie show is the weekend of August 5. So not this coming Saturday, but the following Saturday is when we were planning on going out.

I can't remember though, did we meet at 9:00 or 10:00 last year? Also, I was late and missed the deadline to register for that show, so I won't be putting anything in. That show is popular and fills up early. For 2007 I'd actually have to register before the end of THIS year for a reduced rate, and by July 1 of next year at the latest. It doesn't cost much to register; I think like $10 if you do it early enough and $12 if you don't.

I wonder if that gaudy '74 Sedan DeVille will be there for sale again this year? Maybe with an even HIGHER pricetag than before? :confuse:
    That guy probably put a "1" before the number we saw on the windshield last year. That car looks good until you get close to it and see how truly awful the color really is.
    I guess we can meet at the Burger King just off the Interstate like we did the last two years. I'll be there between 9:00 and 10:00. It's best to start early since there is so much to see. This year I'll probably be driving my '88 Park Ave or a 2003 Chevrolet Impala finished in an awful brown color. My Grandmom expressed interest in buying my girlfriend's father's old ride. I'll be taking it upstate to show her the car if there are no snafus with her Dad's estate.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I got to go to a small car show, of sorts, without leaving my neighborhood....we have this festival called 'Retro on Roscoe', it's a couple of blocks long and has the usual weird street vendors, icky food and overpriced cheap beer. They do also have a small vintage car show...didn't take any pictures, unfortunately, but they had the following:

73 Porsche 914 2.0, white with black interior, very nice
    68 Corvette conv, nice 20-footer, pretty bad Hugger Orange repaint, nothing special (small block automatic, no power stuff, pretty basic)
    69 GTO convertible, boring somehow (light blue, blue interior, automatic)
    68 Impala SS fastback, VERY nice--in kind of a light gray-green non-metallic with matching, definitely original interior, 396/TH, tilt wood steering wheel, rallys with small centers and fender skirts (this combo=not available from the factory, IIRC), tissue dispenser
    66 Impala SS convertible, blue with white interior and top, 396, just didn't excite me much
    73 Buick Centurion converible, all black....eh.
    70s pukey green with white Mustang convertible, sorta pretty
    my favorite, natch-66 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, green non-factory color repaint with original white upholstered bench-seat interior...turns out the owner knows my brother, and is very good friends with his girlfriend (?)
    I find that '73 Centurion convertible interesting. Probably because it's just not something you see that often. Seems like with big Buick convertibles of the 70's, the '75 LeSabre is everywhere, but the others are just about invisible.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    The Microcar and Minicar Club
    15th National Event
    August 12, 2006
    100 South Main St.
    Crystal Lake, IL
    9AM-3PM

www.microcar.org
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Huntamer Park, Lacy, WA 24 Sep 06 Be There!

Sponsored by Mustangs West, Olympia. :)
    ...the Fall Carlisle Meet and the Fall Hershey meet this year?
    is September 27-October 1, so I'm guessing that Saturday is the 30th. At least according to their website.

Hershey is the following weekend, October 4-7, so that Saturday should be the 6th.

I started to freak at first because when I went to the Carlisle website they already had the 2007 dates up and I didn't realize it. Next year Fall Carlisle is October 3-7. I thought at first that both events were scheduled the same weekend! Considering that you can't see one of those shows in a day, just imagine trying to do TWO in a day!
  • alicesalices Member Posts: 1
    Valley Forge Marketplace to Host Family Fun Day & Car Show
    Proceeds to Benefit The West Norriton Township Police Association

WEST NORRITON – Classic, antique and muscle cars, hot rods, custom trucks, modified and stock bikes will fill the Valley Forge Marketplace’s parking lot on Saturday, September 30th during the Family Fun Day and Car Show taking place from 2:00 to 6:00 PM. [Rain date is Sunday, October 1st]

The proceeds from this Family Fun Day and Car Show will benefit the West Norriton Township Police Association.

In addition to the Car Show, there will be a special guest appearance by The Killer Bee Monster Truck, driven by Tim Bee. Additional attractions and entertainment include a moon bounce, giant slide, face painting, balloons and magic tricks, food and beverages, along with a raffle with prizes such as an iPod Shuffel, portable DVD player, CD stereo, digital camera with printer, an LCD TV and gift cards from the Marketplace tenant’s to name a few. Craft activities are planned for the younger crowd to build a Kid’s Kit sponsored by Home Depot and meet the Chick-fil-A Cow.

The Valley Forge Marketplace is located at 600 S Trooper Road, Norristown (intersection of Trooper Road / Route 363 and Egypt Road in West Norriton Township) Montgomery County, PA.

For additional information and registration form to participate in the Car Show please call the West Norriton Township Police Association at 610-630-0977.
    Are you guys planning on attending either or both events? I'd at least like to check out Hershey as I haven't been to that event in over 10 years.

September 30 and October 7th are Saturdays. Please let me know so I can adjust me schedule.
    Yeah Lemko, I'm planning on doing both events, on those Saturdays. Wow, I'm going to be making a lot of trips to PA. On the 23rd I'm driving my Grandma up to Harrisburg for her high school reunion. She was class of 1942 I think.

I keep getting this mental image of that episode of Mama's Family where they had the people in the old folks home playing musical chairs to the tune of "Chariots of Fire". :P Nah, seriously it's not that bad. I took her up for her reunion 2 years ago, and she had a good time.

But yeah, I'm definitely up for both of those events. As far as I know Grbeck is too. But even if he can't make it, I'd still be up for it.
  • directbrokerdirectbroker Member Posts: 1
    Hey Andre, I totally agree with you...I had no idea when I bought the car, just how many people woudl approach me and tell me how much they liked my ride (73 Centurion Convertible)And I had no idea it wold have such a nice engine...what a smooth ride it has been for me...You can click on the following link to check it out, while I still have it...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2454530 Max
  • glennkaweschglennkawesch Member Posts: 8
    when is the next meeting??

Thanks,

Glenn Kawesch
    I don't know anything about meetings, but here's their webpage: http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/nynjslant6/index.cfm

I'm sure there's got to be some info in there somewhere on club meets.
  • carspluscarsplus Member Posts: 1
    You should check out the Awesome Car Show Series in Branson Missouri. It is the 6th year and they are having 3 shows in 2007
    http://www.carsplusclassics.com">link title
    image">
  • kelownacarshowkelownacarshow Member Posts: 1
    September 7, 8, 9, 2007
    Open class
    Welcome to the Kelowna Show & Shine 2007 12th annual show and shine at Kelowna City Park.
    Bring your classic car, motorcycle, truck, tractor or boat.
    This year's event promises to be bigger and better.
    Friday night cruise-in
    Saturday swap meet, car auction, poker run and dance Sunday show and shine, beer gardens, kiddy corral Live music all three days!
    Contact for more details.
    Phone: 250-317-1276
    Fax: 250-762-4595
    E-mail: kelownacarshow@shaw.ca
    Internet: www.kelownacarshow.com
  • luvcars2322luvcars2322 Member Posts: 1
    Hi y'all! There's a great classic car show event in Plant City, Florida. On April 21, 2007, there's the 10th Annual Strawberry Classic Car Show from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Spectators can see cars and trucks manufactured in 1982 and before – antiques, customs, classics and hotrods – in and around McCall Park, 100 N. Collins St. in Plant City. Classic southern rock bands perform all throughout the evening. Also, vendors and crafters will be there with a plethora of the latest hotrod and automotive accessories. It's a great event and worth checking out.
  • youngstreetrodyoungstreetrod Member Posts: 2
    We are beginning to have a series of car shows and bike rallies and the theme is "We Support Our Troops". I am a Desert Storm Veteran and I still have friends and family serving this great country. I thought this would be a great way to help those that are giving the most.
    The first car show is July 1st in DeSoto Texas. We need at least 50 or more cars at this show. If you are interested please let me know. You can email me at m_gyoung@hotmail.com and I can send you all the registration information.
    young streetrod
  • lookup2lookup2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello! I am new to the forum. I'm hoping I can find some answers from you all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    My step father has had a 1968 Dodge Power Wagon, 4 door crew cab, Air Force Issue... in storage for YEARS! This truck is MINT! Completely restored and looks & runs awesome. It was his dream and he's never wanted to sell it. But recently he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and all he and my mother can focus on now is that. And the only money resource they can think of, to help them get through this, is selling this truck. My mom won't be able to work fulltime while she's taking care of him. Right now she is trying to save enough money to get them by and sell whatever they can sell. She doesn't know how to use a computer, so she's asked me to help. I don't know how much it's worth, or how to go about selling it. If there is anyone in these forums that knows about this truck, or how to best sell a classic vehical, could you please reply! Thank you so very much!
    God bless!
This discussion has been closed.