Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Suzuki SX4

Comments

• zeevagabondzeevagabond Member Posts: 4
    I just got this car....
    Few things that would help.
    suzuki did offer zero down zero percent. if you can afford the higher monthly payments. Go with a FRIEND WHO WILL HELP IN BARGAINING. BE READY TO WALK AWAY. LET THEM GET THEIR MANAGER back and forth ATLEAST 3-4 TIMES OR AS LONG AS YOU ARE GETTING A BETTER DEAL THAN WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING, they always stand up while you are sitting so they have the height advantage...Make EYE CONTACT... MAKE SURE YOU GET AS MANY FREEBIES AS POSSIBLE, MINE INCLUDED TINT, 2 GAS REFILLS, AND 12 OIL CHANGES. GET GAP INSURANCE COVERAGE WHICH COVERS UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT YOUR INSURANCE PAYS YOU AND THE ACTUAL PRICE OF THE CAR (I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT YOU CAN GET SOME OF THE GAP COVERAGE MONEY BACK IF YOU PAY OFF YOUR CAR EARLIER). TRY AND GET THE DEALER TO COVER THE FIRST MONTHS INSURANCE AND HOPEFULLY WITHOUT ADDING TO THE PRICE OF THE CAR. (MINE WAS CHARGING ME SOMETHING LIKE 350 EXTRA FOR IT - BEWARE OF THIS) GET THEM TO DO THE REGISTRATION FOR YOU. REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE ALWAYS TAXES THAT WILL BE ADDED ON YOUR FINAL PRICE. PLUS SOME EXTRA SERVICE CHARGES AND STUFF THAT SOME DEALERS DONT REVEAL FIND THAT OUT BEFORE YOU SIGN...

KEEP IT LIGHT HAVE FUN THINK OF IT AS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU ARE MAKING THE ACTUAL DEAL BE READY TO SPEND ATLEAST 2-3 HOURS IN BARGAINING OR EVEN MORE.

SOMETIMES KNOWING A FRIEND WHO WORKS IN THE DEALERSHIP MIGHT HELP YOU IN GETTING A FURTHER DEAL.

AVOID TRADE INS UNTIL THE VERY LAST MINUTE OF THE DEAL ONLY DECIDE UPON IT AFTER YOU HAVE COME TO FINAL PRICE ON THE CAR ITSELF AND THEN ASK THEM WHAT THEY WILL OFFER YOU ON YOUR CAR AND ONLY GO FOR IT IF ITS A REASONABLE PRICE ELSE YOU WILL ALWAYS GET A BETTER DEAL FROM PRIVATE SALE.

REMEMBER ZERO DOWN IS POSSIBLE. SO START OUT WITH THAT
    AS THE CAR IS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER THING YOU PURCHASE FROM ANY OTHER PLACE. IF YOU HAVE EXTRA MONEY YOU CAN PAY IT OFF AFTERWARDS OR IF THEY OFFER YOU A BETTER DEAL ON MONEY DOWN.
    THEY WILL TRY AND USE THIS SAYING ZERO DOWN IS A LIMITATION THAT IS JUST ANOTHER WAY TO INTIMIDATE YOU.

BESIDES GETTING A CAR YOU ARE ALSO OUT THERE TO GET A DEAL...WHERE THE DEALER MAKES A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF PROFIT AND YOU GET THE BEST DEAL POSSIBLE...

They will always ask you how much monthly payments can you afford this is a trick as this is totally not necessary
    as your payments depend on the cost of the car always several 100 or even 1000 dollars of the sticker price PLUS whatever company discounts (JUST ASK HOW MUCH COMPANY DISCOUNT IS BEING OFFERED OR CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR SPECIALS)

SALESMAN AND THE MANAGEER WILL TRY EVERYTHING FROM EGO BOOSTING BLACKMAILS TO EMOTIONAL ONES WHERE THEY WILL SAY YOUR SALESMAN HAS TO FEED HIS FAMILY....JUST REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO GET THE BEST DEAL THEY CAN OFFER THINK OF YOURSELF.

KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE. helps in the financing.
    ask the dealer to make you an offer based on the credit score BEFORE SIGNING ANY PAPERS even though he will try and get you to sign the paper so they can run your credit and stuff. REMEMBER THE DEALER ONLY NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY ON THE CAR SALE AND NOT THE FINANCING SO BE WATCHFUL ON THE FINANCING. CALCULATE THE TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENTS & FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH IT ADDS UP TO FROM THE ACTUAL PRICE...REMEMBER YOU WILL ALSO HAVE INSURANCE PAYMENTS...

DO RESEARCH ON THE CAR KNOW WHAT ALL YOU ARE GETTING....
    CHECK ONLINE SPECS ON THE WEBSITES AND REVIEWS. TEST DRIVE AS MANY CARS AS YOU CAN. AVOID PAYING FOR RIDICULOUS THINGS AS SPECIALIZED PAINT COATING AND CAR LOGOS ON THE OUTSIDE(MY OPINION THE COMPANY SHOULD PAY YOU FOR ADVERTISING THEIR LOGO ON YOUR CAR) - THINGS TO WATCH FOR WHICH I WENT THROUGH
    HONDA ELEMENT SALES PRICE INCLUDED EXTRA PRICE FOR THE HONDA LOGOS THAT WERE ALREADY ON THE CAR WHICH I NEVER ASKED FOR....HONDA FIT REQUIRED ME TO PAY 750 EXTRA FOR THE CAR POPULARITY....AVOID THAT... THEY SHOULD DISCOUNT THE CAR MORE FOR ITS POPULARITY IF ANYTHING....AT ONE HONDA DEALERSHIP THEY MANAGER ACTED AS IF WE ARE HONDA IF YOU WANT YOU TAKE IT ELSE I DONT CARE...YOU WALK OUT OF THIS KIND OF DEALERSHIPS...
    SOMETIMES A SINGLE CD PLAYER IS JUST AS GOOD AS A 6 CD CHANGER. AND MANY TIMES REGULAR VERSION OF THE CAR IS JUST AS POWERFUL AS THE SPORTS VERSION SO DECIDE ON WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR YOU BOTH PRICE WISE AND FOR DAILY USE.

WATCH OUT FOR CERTAIN UNUSEFUL THINGS THAT ADD UP ON THE PRICE...THINGS LIKE LEATHER SEATS IN SAY CERTAIN CITIES OR TOWNS MIGHT BE TOTALLY UNUSEFUL...IF THE WEATHER GETS TOO HOT...SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY AVOID LEATHER SEATS...AND GET A TINT INSTEAD...

WITH THE SCION XB I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE MUCH IN DEMAND AND SO ITS BEST TO BUY IT WHILE THEY STILL HAVE IT IN THE LOT....BE FEARLESS ENOUGH TO WALK AWAY...REMEMBER THERE ARE LOTS OF CARS AROUND TO BUY....

ENSURE THERE ARE NO SCRATCHES OR DINGS & MAKE SURE ALL THE ACCESSORIES ARE INCLUDED THAT ARE STANDARD & THEY SIGN UP THE DEALER OWES PAPER THAT SAYS THAT THEY HAVE TO GIVE YOU
    OIL CHANGES OR GAS REFILLS & SO ON....WHATEVER IS BEING VERBALLY AGREED UPON DO THIS BEFORE YOU SIGN THE FINAL DOCUMENTS.

THEY WILL TRY AND GET YOU TO SIGN AN EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE WHICH IS ENTIRELY OPTIONAL & THERE ARE THIRD PARTIES WHO OFFER IT WHEN YOUR WARRANTY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE SO REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY NO TO THAT IF YOU SO WANT.

BARGAIN & NEGOTIATE BE SHAMELESS....
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    My suzuki dealer is also a subaru dealer. we started to talk about the honda CR-V and how it has awd for about $3000 more over the SX-4. he then said he watched a awd video that subaru shown on awd systems. it shown how the cr-v when on a icy uphill test got stuck when the front wheel spun and the rear wheels were on dry ground. the rear wheels had NO power to push the Suv up to where the front wheels would be on dry ground. so basically he was saying the honda's Crv awd system wasnt that much of a useful awd system.. now this raises this question about what this SX-4 so called AWD system. i know suzuki only says it has awd. but what kind of awd. as the saleman said . NOt all awd system are created equal. he couldnt answer my question on the suzuki but he could on the subaru. so could the sx-4 be just like the hondas? is it something you would take on a muddy dirt road? i mention this cause as i said before suzuki doesnt talk about this system. it just says it has it and thats it. most companies i research go into detail about their 4x4,awd,etc. I know when suzuki had the Vitra they went into detail about that 4x4 systems told all kinds of specs and even shown details of the system. i personally have this system in my tracker. its the old fashion push the lever into 4hi or 4low, and i can say this thing is a tank!! i have drive through creeks where i had water coming in the doors, and it just kept on going. but no where can i find info on this awd. i just dont wanna get something with a false sense of traction when it comes time for it.

chris
  • dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    And why did you post it? and in CAPS??
    We are here to discuss a car and not negotiation technics.
    You choose the wrong forum.

BTW, we are all aware here of carbuyingtips.com and majority of Edmunds posters know how to negotiate.
    You should check Smart Shopper discussion group and you will find that everything that stated above in your post (in CAPS) was already written thousand times before.

And the last thing. I see you just join Edmunds.com --so Welcome!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Your post is unreadable. :( Please turn off the CAPS.
  • pog4pog4 Member Posts: 13
    I noticed Fueleconomy,gov states the mileage at 33 hwy as well.

How was the power with the 5speed compared to the auto?

I drove by a Suzuki dealer and saw my first SX4 today; it looked bigger than I thought. It has a lot more presence than the other cars in its class.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    neighboring town to mine. The car has a solid and bold stance, part of what draws me to it. I asked the lady pumping gas into her new baby how she liked her new toy.

"I love it!", she emphatically exclaimed.

I'm officially on a serious fact-finding mission regarding the 2007 Suzuki SX4 in either Metallic Blue, Orange Pearl or Red. 5-speeds only need apply.

Whoo-doggy, this car fits my bill to a tee!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

here is a review i found on the sx4. one thing the tester said that i agreed with as far as power..

"Performance
    Both the Suzuki SX4 and the average mini suv are likely to feel somewhat sluggish because of their high horsepower-to-weight ratio. "

Drivetrain
    The average mini suv has a larger engine than the Suzuki SX4. Note that smaller engines typically get better gas mileage, but smaller engines can be stressed more. Torque equals pickup, and the average mini suv will have picked up and gone by the time the Suzuki SX4 finally gets moving.

http://www.newcars.com/review_model/Suzuki_SX4.html
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    That review and the reviewer might not be too credible - reread that quote again. It's an egregious error! I really have trouble believing much else when such writers are so careless (what other errors are they making?!!).

Also I would think that when you're buying in this class of vehicle, you understand no matter what choice you make acceleration is going to be "just adequate"; of course that is relative to other new vehicles. If you want more, you should be looking at spending $23K+ for a V-6 Vue or Rav4 V-6.

I believe it was you who asked about the AWD system also. Have you perused all of the Suzuki website. There is a link there that basically has 5-10 min of video. I believe in there it explains that the trans. can be put into 3 settings with a switch - FWD only, AWD as needed (slippage of front wheels), and AWD locked at speeds under 35mph for slogging along through snow and mud.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    I read that "review" also. It's pretty evident that all the writer did was compare the spec sheet with other SUV's. I'm pretty sure that the writer has never been near a SX4, let alone drive one. Good information is hard to come by, that article shows that anybody can type a article and call it a "review". :confuse:
  • robandfabrobandfab Member Posts: 8
    Hello. Does anyone have info on when the SX4 Sport will be available to purchase/drive? I called a few Suzuki dealers in my area (Cleveland) and they were all clueless. One said he'd contact me and never did. I signed up for online quotes from several dealers and haven't been contacted. Ridiculous.
  • drdan3drdan3 Member Posts: 13
    Having driven an SX4 recently, it seems undeniable that the car is, frankly, slow. It's probably about on par with my Matrix 4WD, but it seems a bit quieter and a bit smoother driving. It corners very well and is generally a pleasant to drive small car - but it is 'really' not fast.
    Was the car you drove an auto. or 5-speed? I would expect the 5-speed to be maybe 1 sec. quicker 0-60mph, and typically manuals are lighter weight.

And yes I would expect the SX4 to be in the performance ballpark of the Matrix, Versa, Corolla, Focus. and maybe the Caliber RT. These cars are built for economical price and operation, and not for performance. I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. What you are buying is a relatively slow, economical vehicle to purchase and run. When comparing these type cars, I wouldn't concern myself too much with slight performance differences.

What I would look at as differentiators in this class are safety features, availability of AWD, stability control, comfort, and equipment at a certain price. I think the SX4 offers an outstanding! list of equipment for $16.4 on the Sport 5-speed. Would someone like to research what the next highest cost vehicle is that has stability control, AWD, and side airbags and what the price is? Subaru doesn't offer stability control except on its higher-end models. The keyless ignition and upgraded stereos are offered at what cost on other vehicles?

I'm buying snow-tires for my Firebird this year, not holding my breath for the Sport to be available before winter. Of course something else might catch my fancy. If I buy an SX4, it'll be next summer after the initial rush to buy them at MSRP. "Just say no" to MSRP on these cars, and when they start piling up you'll get a discount. If the salespeople know you've got to have it, you've already asked for the paddle. Be cool and patient.
    as far as comparing the sx4. i was comparing it to my 1999 chevy tracker witha 2.0 engine. my tracker (4x4) has alot more pickup and good than the sx4. dont get me wrong i liked everything else about the sx4. Just in reading & walking the suzuki website they talk about this 143hp engine as if its going to be worlds different from anything else in its class. But actually the engine might be that powerful but the added weight kills that power. My trackers engine is 127hp. as far as watching the suzuki video for info on the awd. all that site did was show how it works. it doesnt give tech info on what engages and how it engages the awd. other car makers go into detail how their awd system is engaged. I was just wondering why suzuki doesnt say anything other than its 3 modes and its awd. i might have missed something. but i didnt remember seeing anything about the percentage of power and at what percentage is at what wheels? as i said already other car makers list this. i guess in this price range you should be happy your getting anything other than fwd? Im not ripping on the car. I just want more info please...

chris
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    And it is SLOW! No 5 speeds available. Definitely going to look at the 5 speed. No way would I get the auto. This one had a check engine light on. Never a good sign. Car drove nicely, just lacked power.

Most of the Suzuki dealers are pretty small operations. So far the only ones I've seen are one per dealer, a base blue automatic.
    thats the way i felt when i test drove one this week. The one i drove was also a automatic. I thought the braking was great but i had to rev the engine up to 4000Rpm's in order to get the thing to Move! And im coming from a small car myself. The saleman said what you think! i said to him "its got no power." He then looked back at another saleman and didnt say anything to him. My guess from the look on his face was i wasnt the only one that mentioned this... I was very excited about the car itself. but completely let down from the power. and Im coming from a lesser 2.0 suzuki engine already. It bummed me out a little when i left the dealer. I was so excited when i read about the new sx4 that i went that day to a suzuki dealership. and i never test drive cars.. This suzuki looked good on paper. espeically when they talk about the so called power of the 143hp engine! i test drove the car alone. i couldnt imagine having 2-3 people in the car adding to the weight!!! and then having to use the AWD in winter. they might have to get out and push at that point.. lol

chris
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    In-laws had em(still got one, a 97, nearly 100K, one they got rid of, was a 90, with 213,000 on it)..... but they called them Chevy "Trackers".
    Anyhow, they are great in snow, or mud(and he used his 90 to pull up a 500 lbs block of concrete.... out of the ground, with an old basketball post stuck in it, buried in he ground /dirt 3 feet+.. used a chain, and reversed the Tracker!).
    Anyhow...
    They are really built well, but the "Tracker" is horrible NVH(*or was, before they quit making them, the sx4 may be the "new' Tracker?). Do not like anything but the reliability and able to handle most road conditions.

People buy the Yaris, etc, and they are what, 10-12 seconds to 60?
    Some midsized sedans take to 9 seconds to 60.

How "slow" is the sx4? 30 seconds to 60?

MPG is not good over at Suzuki, for some reason.
    The 1997 Tracker(90 HP) gets maybe 26MPG hwy, tops.

This is what, 29-31MPH, for SX4?
    That's better, and more HP.
    3 choices of drive? I'd leave it on FWD, 90% of the time.

Who else is selling a new SUV/car for 15-17K and 7/100K warranty) these days?

Dealerships are small(one guy posted above about Cleveland, etc... mentioned this)get this, in (Troy?) Ohio.... the dealership is in the back half of a Motor home store!
    I kid ya not. The 2 sales persons looked to be 70 and one lady, one man, and reading a newspaper, totally ignored me!
    2 dealerships closed the past year+, one was open 10 years,one near Dayton, one near Fairborn.
    One was opened less than 3 years,in Piqua, and closed(they did not seem to even try to sell the cars, when i looked at the Aerio awhile back).
    They have one opened up near Dayton(newer one) but they have maybe 2 of every vehicle, and do look like one of those used car dealerships...
    the old gas stations that go out of business, and someone buys em and sells "Arnolds A+ Autos" , 12 exciting cars to look at, all on one lot.

Suzuki's a trip: They seem to have Solid cars, great reliability, but Slow, and not great MPG(for engine size/car size). Worst part is the dealerships Do Close!
    One was opened barely a year, and folded.

Do you wanna buy your car from a place that may fold in 1-2 years?

Suzuki needs:
    1) More HP for their vehicles.
    2) Better MPG
    3) Better(waaaay better) dealerships, one's that do not close every other year.

The Reno I drove was decent, but , ya had to floor it between 0-45MPH,after that, it was avg. 29-31MPG for this , too?
    There are some V6's claiming 29-31MPG these days, on mid sized sedans!

I like Suzuki, in general, but I hope that they pick up the pace, and quickly, to correct some of these issues, or their sales pace(upwards) will stall, and maybe even slide again.
    "the sx4 may be the "new' Tracker?"

in one of the overseas reviews i watched on video they said You dont want to take this thing off roading.. its not made for it. the tracker had a more rigid truck type frame this sx4 does not. plus the tracker had a 4x4 system not a AWD system.

"MPG is not good over at Suzuki, for some reason."

if the case of the sx4 im guessing it is due to its weight. if you look at other cars in the same class and size as the sx4 you'll see the sx4 is 400-500 heavier! so its the weight of the other guys full of passengers...

chris
    the bad with the new 2007 Suzuki SX4. It is a heavy little sport crossover, but not overly so. My Sportage 4x4 is heavy but the 2.0L motor and 5-speed tranny propel it well. With the SX4 I think Suzuki engineers designed it for good weight balance in handling (and good wind dynamics)and also it has to have the equipment installed to be able to(electronic coupler located just in front of the rear differential)switch over to AWD-Auto and AWD-Lock.

Remember, this is the only car that you can lock into FWD(2WD, to be used the majority of the time for maximum gas mileage)and then switch over with an easy toggle switch to AWD-Lock if you have to go through snow, ice or mud or muck.

Once in AWD-Lock, and you're going through the muck, you travel onto easy surfaces again, your 2007 Suzuki SX4 will automatically switch you into AWD-Auto. This happens with a speed sensor at 36mph. The sensor picks up that you're having an easier time, your mind is able to ponder such things as the Seattle Seahawks being robbed of the Super Bowl last year by an unscrupulous referee, etc., and not worrying about traveling through icy conditions, and it pops you into AWD-Auto.

Then, when you want to, you toggle the switch back into FWD(2WD).

When the car is in AWD-Lock, the SX4 actually locks both axles together, so you have true 4WD.

Gentlemen, this car is selling for only $14,999. And it's loaded with lots of standard equipment for that price, including 6 airbags up front and side curtains for the rear.

Power w's, l's and m's, remote keyless entry, an AM/FM/CD/Mp3 player, air conditioning, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS with EBD(Electronic Force Brake Distribution), tilt wheel all come with the car for $14,999.

I'm planning on test driving next Friday morning if I can pry the Sportage out of my wife's grasp(she loves it). I love it, too. So any trade in would have to grab top dollar for the Sportage 4x4. The numbers must crunch perfectly for me or I'll walk out their door.

But believe me I've researched this vehicle from top to bottom and it looks legit, friends.

You can't find a car that does what this one does for that price. Problems with mechanicals?

Well, the thought has crossed my mind. I know it comes with a 7-year and 100,000 mile Warranty. That takes care of those fears, really. Remember, I'm driving a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 that comes with a 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty.

Both Kia and Suzuki have really, really good engineering groups working for them. My two Kia's have been troopers. I would buy another new Kia without a single worry. They are great cars covered by a great Warranty.

Suzuki is getting my motor running, though. A lot like the current group of Seattle Seahawks.

Suzuki is the Kia of Japan in my wyes. They want to be my car company. I can just feel it.

• robandfabrobandfab Member Posts: 8
    I have a '99 Tracker (built by Suzuki) and while it has been extremely durable (no problems other than A/C needing two repairs and a few minor issues), there are a couple things to be mindful of when driving the SX4. One, my Tracker's air conditioning is way sub-par. It just never cooled the car down very well, even when it was new. There was nothing wrong with the system - just was weak. Most noticeable on hot days, so it'll be tough to test for these days. But crank it up anyway to get an idea. Driving in 4WD mode is very awkward in my Tracker. The steering becomes very tight, the car just feels awkward and is very loud. This, too, was a problem from the beginning. My Tracker is also slow, as people are saying the SX4 is (I haven't driven one because no dealers in Cleveland have it in stock). It's difficult sometimes to merge onto the highway because of it's sluggishness. No problems in city driving, power is perfectly adequate. These issues may well no longer be a problem with Suzukis as my Tracker is 7 years old. Just a couple things to watch for. The Browns have been an embarrassing train wreck for 7 years now, count your blessings for having a good product to watch every week.
  • ethan8ethan8 Member Posts: 13
    is the speed actually slow or is it just the seat of the pants feel? were you looking at the speedometer? I have driven cars that felt slow but were actually going pretty well. Then I have been in cars that felt like they were flying and look down and I was only up to like 25-30ish... Now if it is both seat of the pants slow and speedometer slow. they have a problem. Maybe they need to lower the gear ratio in first and second.
    I'm not expecting lightning performance, but the automatic was unacceptable in my book. You really had to mash the pedal to keep up with traffic. Reminds me of driving a rental Kia a few years back. Extra power would probably equal lower fuel economy, although if you look at the Subaru, it weights more and gets close to the same mileage with the 2.5 flat four.

So far, I haven't found one Suzuki dealership in the Portland/Metro area of any size. I've been to 3 of the 5. The 3 are pretty rinky-dink operations in my book. Most have about 10-15 Suzuki's total on the lot. Sales folks know nothing, which is normal. To me, the 10yr-100k warranty isn't going to mean much if the service department has little knowledge of the car they are suppose to be servicing. The fact that the car I test drove yesterday had the check engine light on doesn't speak well for dealer prep. To me, letting the car out on the lot with a check engine light on is a big no-no. Heck, it could of been just a loose gas cap. Who knows... But a quick scan check would have determined the issue. So far, I have not been impressed.

I'm still interested in the 5 speed SX4, but so far I'm not too impressed with Suzuki as a company (or at least their franchises). I do like the size and handling, and I think the 5 speed will have enough power for me, but I'm going to have to find a find a decent dealer first.
  • reeser8reeser8 Member Posts: 33
    Hi SX4 lovers

I'm new to this forum (in fact, new to Edmunds), so hello to all!

11 gallons seems small, but at 30 mpg, that's 330 miles per tank. That's about how much distance my 1996 Taurus can manage on its 16-gallon tank. It's not that much of a pain in the bootie to gas up every 330 miles, is it?
    when i test drove the sx4 (automatic) i watched the speedo. I was going up a small hill and there was a car on my rear end so i hammered the throttle and it didnt even start to make power until 4000rpms and when it did get power believe me my head wasnt going back. There was NO thrust at all in the performance,Even on Flat land. Believe me.. Test drive one then come back and post about power. you will be shocked how weak the power is in that thing. i was so hoping for this to be my first New car. but i cant justify buying a new car knowing what its major down fall is. and this was with Only ONE person in the car! imagine if i had a full car load of people?! and i was going to drive UP hill!! that engine would be screaming just to make it up the hill.. i dont care how many cool features it comes standard with. if it doesnt have any power thats where i draw the line. and this is coming from a chevy tracker owner! i do not want to merge onto a highway or freeway with that car thats for sure!!!!
    I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm looking to buy an SX4 within the next week or so from the Vallejo dealership. This is my first time buying a car for myself, but through my life I've sat through a number of dealer negotiations when relatives have bought cars. I am wondering what is a fair number above invoice to offer. I want the 5-spd manual, with their "Convenience package" for the cruise control.

I see that KBB lists:
    Base Price $14,398.94
    Destination Charge 595.00

The Suzuki website prices the cruise control at $300.

Is the destination charge negotiable? This car and make seem to have only a cult following as opposed to a widespread popularity, so I don't expect I should pay above sticker for it, even if it's a rare find/has limited availability. MSRP of $14,999.00 is $600 off from invoice. Given this small gap, do you think I'm stuck with paying at least MSRP?

Any advice is appreciated. :)
    I drove my sister-in-law's Scion xA (auto) within a day of test-driving the SX4 (also auto), and there is no doubt in my mind that the Suzuki can kick the xA's butt, on flats, merging, or going up slight grades. How does the SX4's pep compare with other smaller hatchbacks?
    hey, keep in touch here on Edmunds. You and I may both be buying the new 2007 Suzuki SX4 within a week from now. So far on paper the car looks great. Remember, Suzuki is not a brand new babe in the woods when it comes to making 4 wheel drives. With me, power is not a necessary thing. What are we so afraid of when merging onto the freeway, anyway?

If you'll all remember back to your driver's guides the cars coming up to the on-ramp merge lanes are supposed to either speed up or slow down for cars merging onto the freeway. What is the big deal about just picking your spot and merging on when you can. Yikee-spikee's, people, get some intestinal fortitude. And learn to drive a stick.

You will always get more power out of your car when it's a manual transmission. Remember, you can push the rev limiter as you need. The 2007 Suzuki SX4 probably doesn't need a rev limiter! Put that pedal down and shift freely until your SX4 gets you where you want to go.

I think part of the reason I am so excited about this car is the capabilities of it's driveline. Suzuki will indeed deserve kudos on this one if this car proves worthy of those smart enough to outlay cash for it.

Oh, the one about not buying a first year production car. Yes, you are right in mentioning that. Here's where faith and confidence in your carmaker come in. This is only the second car Suzuki has engineered themselves since breaking from GM's stronghold(they work in South Korea still with GM but not in a NUMMI-type program in the U.S. any more, or one where they share with GM in products and services).

Guys, here's where that glass half-full instead of half-empty philosophy comes in. I did this with Kia and I absolutely love the carmaker. Like I said earlier I would buy a new Kia now if I wanted one and I wouldn't worry a single iota about it. They are too legit to quit.

Suzuki is right there, too. BTW-the Suzuki SX7 will be entered in the SCC Rally Race in September of 2007. Evidently they have some serious confidence in this hot new crossover.

reeser8-I plan on using my new college grad.discount of $500. Check Suzuki.com for any other discounts available now-I think there is a $500 rebate right off the bat.

And like I said, I will be test driving an automatic 2007 Suzuki SX4. If I like it I will strike a deal with them for an orange 5-speed SX4 for 2007, just the $14,999 base model with no options added to it. Strike that. I may buy the clamp to put bikes on to your standard equipment roof rack. It only takes two days for the SX4 to come in to my dealership, too, Scion has nothing on these guys! My salesman told me it will only take two days to come in. This is a large dealership in Sierra Vista, Arizona, about 40 miles south of Tucson. I don't know if they have contacts with a Tucson dealership or what. But that impressed me. People ordering Scion's have been irritated that their new Scion took 1 or 2 months to come in.

But I will want every discount available to me. Make your salesman work for you, too. Seriously. This car is a winner, though. I can just sense it. Oh, I was gonna go with the metallic blue but I have grown to like the metallic orange color that is on many of the advertisements on the net. It rocks my house ever so nicely and I long to crank up Foghat's 'Terraplane Blues' in this nice little crossover.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Reeser8, welcome to Edmunds!

The destination charge usually isn't negotiable, but the out the door price is. So if you try to get your best price to leave the lot (including taxes and registration fees, plates, etc.) you don't have to worry about the line items at all.

Edmunds TMV is quoting MSRP for my zip code right now, but it's awfully early in the new model cycle to tell what people will be paying in two or three months. If the buzz gets around that the SX4 is underpowered (whether it's really true or not), that may help buyers get better deals.

Check out the Tips & Advice pages too (I especially enjoy Confessions of a Car Salesman).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think you have a good point. At 75 mph that's about four hours of driving, assuming 30 mpg. I don't know about you, but that's much longer than I'd want to go without a pit stop.
    reese: Given this small gap, do you think I'm stuck with paying at least MSRP?

me: Of course not! The 2nd letter in MSRP stands for "suggested". This is what the dealer and Suzuki think is fair compared to other vehicles in the market and their lineup. They are trying to make as much as possible, and you should be trying to pay as little as possible. There is no "fair price". I had a course about 2 years ago in my MS courses, and the prof. said he NEVER paid the sticker on anything - and he meant furniture, TV's, appliances ... He always negotiated lower prices, free deliveries or extended warranties. How does he do it? By walking away when they say no. And do you know what most sales organizations won't let you walk away if they can make any $ at all. A sales person might try and make $500, but if you walk away they make $0. So they'll try and stop you and make $100 rather than Zippo.

If you don't feel motivated to negotiate and play the game, go thru Costco or Sam's Club which negotiate reduced prices with dealers for you.
    fall back on if your deal goes nil. If I don't make a deal both I and my local dealer can live with then I am "stuck" with my 2001 Kia Sportage that runs like a top. Do try and strike the best deal you can while you're in there. I can kind of tell my local Suzuki dealer is eager to sell me a SX4. And yes, I know a lot more about the rig than he does.

But I'm going to get and grab every discount I can on this car and try and get lower than the MSRP, too. Why not?

I will get up and walk if need be. Usually that provokes a salesman to make you a "better" offer than their last one.

This is in Nashua, NH. These were all the base model with auto. trans. The salesman told me that 1 of them was sold.

I didn't go for a test-drive as I'm not interested in an automatic in this type of car. I did sit in it, and I must say that for an economy car, it was fairly nice. I'm 6'1" and I had plenty of headroom. I put the seat back to where I was comfy and found there was still one more notch of adjustment back there. The seat support felt good, but not great like an '06 Civic EX I sat in months back.

The doors closed very solidly. And though this is no minivan, the cargo area looked very useable.

I told the salesman that the SX4 seemed to be a blend of 2 of my former cars - a Honda CRX and an Impreza Outback wagon. If you don't have a family or a boat to tow, this is definitely big enough and utilitarian enough for people.

I wish there were more vehicles of this type on the market. While I could afford an Audi A3, it is overpriced. I'd rather spend the money on the next 10 years of vacations! What you have now are the DC Caliber, Patriot, and Compass as small AWD vehicles. I was pricing them out similarly equipped to the SX4 and kept breaking the $20K mark.
  • poita33poita33 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone posted on the power of the manual SX4? Would a manual tranny resolve at least some of the lack of power issue?
    That's what I'm talking about. I mean, this car is loaded to the gills for $14,999. Plus, I love the concept of being able to go between 2WD(FWD)and AWD-Lock and AWD-Auto at the touch of a button. My Sportage's 4WD has helped me out no less than 4 times in the last two years. It got me out of icy, snowy jams that I was clearly stuck in.

Even though I now live in Arizona I plan on going to some mountainous areas of this beautiful state and I want the protection of i-AWD. When the SX4 is on AWD-Lock the two axles are locked together and it runs as a 4WD car. That is unheard of at this price. Also, the SX4 is the only one that you can flip a toggle in and get the car into 2WD(FWD) to save money on ghastly. Suzuki is calling out to me and I can't turn away from them.

As to the power issue-yes, get the manual tranny and get to Sears to learn how if you don't know how to drive with a stick. This will nullify the non-power issue. I mean, does anyone with half an automotive mind think that Suzuki would choose the new SX4 to enter the WRC races next year if they didn't have confidence in this new pup of theirs?

I realize they are entering a turbo-charged 300hp SX4 but,still, by getting a manual-trannied SX4 you will produce the extra oomph! you need to climb hills and enter expressways. I am eager to try mine out. :P

• w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree on Suzuki's extremely poor dealer network. However, there are exceptions. Each year I travel to Huntsville, AL for a trade show, and one of the most expansive Suzuki dealships I've ever seen is located in Huntsville. And, they sell a bunch of cars there, plus have a daily present on the local TV channel. This is a dedicated and stand-alone Suzuki store - very impressive.
    the Suzuki store I'm going to deal with is not stand-alone. In fact, they sell at least two other brands of cars there. The Suzuki dealer I am aware of in Tucson is another multi-brand dealership. That one you mentioned w9cw would be the one to buy one through. Unfortunately I'm here in the old Wild, Wild West of SW America and my choices are kind of, umm, limited.

I will test drive and, if I like one and I feel like the planets are aligned correctly, including the home-front, I will deal like James West for this car. James West? Was that his name, Artemis Gordon's sidekick and the real star of The Wild, Wild West? My it's been a while since I've watched that TV show!

I know from people who've dyno'ed cars like Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes that the power at the wheels is reduced about 15hp when using an automatic trans.

When Suzuki or anyone quotes hp they are referring to the power at the crank (engine) and then some power is lost in the trans. For instance a 300hp engine in a Mustang will probably make 260hp at the wheels in an auto., and 275hp with the manual.
    Sorry, 11 gallon tank is small. My 93 Miata has that and it gets better mileage. My Protege 5 is 14.5 gallons. About the same mileage... There is a real difference in how often you need to fill up. If you're in an urban area, no problem. Rural, not so good. I'd hoped for a bigger tank. Finding a gas station is Eastern Oregon can be a real challenge.

I wouldn't pay more than invoice + destination + tax/licensing fees. (We don't have sales tax in Oregon and we pay around $100 for the licensing/processing on a new car.) If they won't deal, walk. Remember, based on other car buying sites, there isn't much of a difference between invoice and MSRP for the SX4, about $600. (Edmunds, where is the invoice?) I hope you've checked to see if any base SX4's with convience package are available. Only ones I've seen are base automatics.

Hope they come up with some dealer available cross bars soon. Not much point to the roof rack without crossbars. I can always buy Yakima bars, but I was hoping for some OEM bars.
    with my little 1999 tracker i have put 13.6 gal of fuel in it. I thought 11 was a little on the (stop for often for fuel) side. according to suzuki and their epa Mpg rating that 2+ gal differnce is a min of 50+ miles sooner that you need to stop for fuel.
    a problem for me. I live about a 1/4 mile from my work and I live in a little podunk town in SE Arizona. It's all in how you plan to stop for gas.

Will the lack of a center armrest bother any of you? From what I've gathered the 2007 Suzuki SX4 doesn't have an armrest in the middle up front.

"Will the lack of a center armrest bother any of you? From what I've gathered the 2007 Suzuki SX4 doesn't have an armrest in the middle up front. "

i seen on a website where you can purchase a aftermarket armrest and it looked very easy to install...

chris
    Armrest would be nice. Wish the SX4 had a folding armrest like the CRV.

I could live without it. Didn't miss it in my short testdrive. Long drive might be different. Maybe someone will make an aftermarket one.
    ark: Will the lack of a center armrest bother any of you?

me: I didn't notice yesterday whether it had 1 or not. I guess I'm not an armrest-type of guy. I keep boh hands on the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, so armrests are irrelevant to me.

Here's some info. from the brochure which affects mpg and performance. The manual is listed at 2,789 Lb and the auto. is 2,866 Lb. Curiously the Sport is not listed as being heavier than the Base despite the extra options.
  • brenbren Member Posts: 24
    Only 11 gallons? Geez. I've had 3 or 4 cars with an 11.9 gallon tank, and for years I've wished I could routinely get to 300 miles before having to fill up.

My '04 Aerio SX AWD averages a mere 22 mpg throughout the year. Long highway drives are pretty much the same (I once got 26 mpg). I've been rather disappointed by the fuel economy. I've heard some FWD Aerio owners claim 30+ mpg at times, but I doubt that AWD could sap THAT much fuel.

What I'm saying is that because of my experience with my Suzuki Aerio SX AWD, I'm highly skeptical that an AWD SX4 will average more than 25 mpg (unless the ability to lock in 2WD actually makes a significant difference). With a tiny 11 gallon tank and HOPEFULLY achieving 25 mpg, the low fuel indicator light is going to come on around 200-225 miles. That would suck.

To those of you who are already SX4 owners, please keep us updated on your fuel economy. Don't forget to let us know if you have manual or automatic and the city/highway breakdown of the miles you drive. Thanks. :)
    In 20 years of driving I've never had a car that I couldn't get at least the EPA estimate. I've had new Fords, a Honda, a Subaru, a Camaro, a Jag (X-Type) and currently a Firebird.

With a manual and the FWD option I'm sure that if you take care, you'll be able to get around 30 mpg combined. I can get 24-25mpg with a 5.7L auto. right now. At idle a 2.0L engine will only be using 1/3 the gas of my current car.

I'd guess that EPA number is based on using the AWD which is what the car is marketed as, and which is what the EPA figures would be the default setting. Maybe someone could visit the EPA website and check in what mode the estimate would be made in.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Suzuki SX4 Heats Up Small Car Wars

Here is my two cents...

SX4 is the absolute best value available in small cars for anyone who desires the utility of AWD.

Power...143 H.P in the SX4 is fine. It is more than adequate for daily driving. It will not present a problem "keeping up" with traffic or merging, etc..
    And yes, I have driven it and it does not feel like it has 143 horses, though it was fine for the class of small cars it competes with.
    The 1.6 L offered in other markets that is not offered in North America would likely have been inadequate for all but those who are most fuel frugal.
    Thanks for the link. Interesting article. I really want to drive the 5 speed now. Too bad about the capacity constraints limiting production to 1,000 a month. Hmmm... I don't appear to fit the demographics very well either.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please report on your deals (or near deals :shades:) in the Suzuki SX4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Thanks!
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Such as purple. :D But at least they offer orange.

I checked Suzuki's UK website, and several more color options are offered for the SX4 in the UK.

Here's a link: SUZUKI UK then click on 'Colours'.
    Suzuki's Burnt Orange after seeing it so much in their 2007 SX4 advertising. I also like the Red(they're not that far off from each other, at least on the net)and the Metallic blue looks very sharp on this car.

I'm still pretty interested in this little pup. Suzuki's got a hit on their hands here. At least with me!

I personally think the Orange will get "dated" real quick, and I'd be tired of it. I'd get the Red or Blue myself, which are always popular.
This discussion has been closed.