Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about Volvo's future?

1235»

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, come on!

A friend had a 73. I learned from that one that you can replace a clutch cable in a parking lot if you really have a mind to.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Both '74's stranded me with bad rubber bellows (the first one was the worst, and I wasn't too unhappy that it got wrecked. I didn't have any say in the replacement).

The second one lost a tooth on the flywheel but I could crawl underneath with a screwdriver and move it enough to engage the starter. Then the camshaft gave way and it completely gave up the ghost.

Then there was the late 70's wagon that wouldn't crank about this time of the year up in Alaska after a snow shortened canoe trip. I was new to the state, new to hypothermia, and wound up nursing a thermos of hot Tang lying in a damp sleeping bag under a canoe in some nasty weather while the owner worked an hour getting it cranked so we could run shuttle.

20 years later, a shuttle driver just about totaled that guy's brother's Volvo wagon when he went boating with us here in Idaho. The shuttle company didn't even leave a note at the take-out and tried to denied responsibility. Not Volvo's fault, but it made me wonder....

On the other hand, there was an '84 240 that I borrowed occasionally from a good friend that was a tank. When she died, she left a list of six friends who were standing in line to buy it and the order in which they had first requested it. (It was a good car, but I wasn't on the list - I think I jinx them).
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Fezo, I had a '69 142S as well. Loved that car, although it was a tank. It didn't feel slow to me, largely because my dad had a '68 144S automatic. Slow doesn't begin to describe that car. The MB 190D my mother's cousin owned might have been slower, but I never drove that one so I'm not sure.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Gee, when I was a kid they had this bike contest. One of the events was to see who could go the slowest while still staying upright.

I would imagine a race between that 144 and 190D would be like that.

You know doubt remember the shift on the ol' 142 seemed as long as a baseball bat!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    A stock 142/144 was slow. But, the long shifter had a great feel, as it was direct into the gearbox, instead of using rails or any linkage.

The 140-series can be made to be great runners, and handlers, but it does take some work. I can certainly attest to that given I'm still tweaking mine after nearly 40 years of ownership. IPD successfully raced 142's in the '70s and '80's in the SCCA series. And, thanks to them, parts are still available.

The biggest change on my 144S that had a substantial impact on acceleration, other than the engine block and head work, including cam change and tuned exhaust headers, was a lightened flywheel. The B20B uses a very heavy flywheel. By safely removing excess material from the OEM steel flywheel, or going to an alloy version, the car is transformed from a slug off the line to one that's quite impressive.

I know I'm "off topic" on this thread, but one of my friend's in the local Volvo club replaced the B20B in a 142S with Ford 289 V8. The swap was done very professionally, and it was a very nice car to drive. No problem with power with that engine...

Back to regular programming, and "Volvo's Future"... I hope it doesn't include the Chinese.
    Goldman Sachs’ PE fund is buying a 15 percent stake in Geely Auto. But the money isn't near enough to buy Volvo. (Zikkir)

Geely is being a bit coy about what they are going to do with Goldman's 334 million.

"Jia Xinguang, Auto Analyst said "The money raised is limited, it's not enough for bidding Volvo at all. I think it's just for short-term financing."

Analysts also point to improving performance in Ford Motor and that it's not in such desperate need for money. And that Geely may have missed the best chance for a bargain buy." (CCTV)

It doesn't sound like the Saab deal is going very smoothly either.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Maybe that money can fund some new copycars. A fakey C30 might be amusing :shades:
    Just thought of this - how's your 144 on gas? The reason I ask is my 142 not only required premium but it was very finicky about which brand you used. Ran well on Exxon, Shell, Mobil, Amoco and Texaco. Hated Gulf and a couple of other brands and would let you know in no uncertain terms until you burned through at least half a tank and sometimes even had to do the old Sunoco ultra to make up for things.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Originally with the Strombergs, fuel mileage in town was pretty terrible - low' teens - if you can believe it!. But the switch to SUs made a big difference for in town use. Highway mileage is in the mid-20s. Others running the downdraft Weber DGV get slightly better fuel mileage.

Of course, now it's set up to run on unleaded regular - lowered compression ratio and hardened valve seats. Still gets mid-20s on the road, but high teens in town. Not very good, but acceptable...
    "There are few reported details about a proposal from Dingman's Crown consortium to acquire Volvo, but the deal likely may vary significantly from that proposed by Geely, which, among other facets, is said to include a provision that Ford retain responsibility for certain pension liabilities and that Ford retain a share of Volvo."

Consortium Led by Former Ford Execs Makes Play for Volvo (AutoObserver)
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Geely is ahead in this horse race:

Ford names China's Geely as preferred Volvo bidder

October 28, 2009 - 7:12 am ET

MUNICH -- Chinese automaker Geely Group Holding Co. is Ford Motor Co.'s preferred bidder to purchase Volvo Car Corp.

Ford announced Wednesday that it will start more detailed negotiations with Geely, adding that no final decisions have been made.

"Ford believes Geely has the potential to be a responsible future owner of Volvo and to take the business forward while preserving its core values and the independence of the Swedish brand," Ford Chief Financial Officer Lewis Booth said in a statement.

Ford said it does not intend to retain a shareholding in Volvo but will continue to work with the automaker in several areas after a possible sale.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20091028/COPY01/310289927/1193

I wonder what gives them assurances that Geely will be a "responsible corporate owner that will preserve the core Volvo values". I would expect it to be a quick race to the cheapest cost-per-unit as priority #1.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ford picks Geely as preferred Volvo bidder

Told ya the Chinese would snap 'em up for pennies on the dollar. They got Hummer, too.

And Geely is among the very worst offenders of copyright law. A little reminder for those with short-term memories:

I wonder if this round is going to be like the Japanese buying 30 Rock and all that other real estate for inflated prices years (decades?) ago, and then having to dump them at a loss when things didn't pan out.

Maybe if Ford hangs out a year, they can buy Volvo back, together with the stolen tech the Ex-Ford engineer sold to Beijing Automotive Corp.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    By then they would have milked whatever tech is left, and the Swedish government will have to save Volvo (they probably won't).
    "China's Geely Holding Group Co., selected by Ford as the lead bidder for Volvo, has developed a turnaround plan for the money-losing Swedish brand that centers on China but also sets ambitious goals for sales in Volvo's traditional markets of Europe and North America, the Wall Street Journal reports"

China's Geely Sets Ambitious Goals for Volvo (AutoObserver)

as one Swedish automaker goes peacefully into that good night, another is being fought over once again:

December 3, 2009 - 1:16 am ET

(Reuters) -- A group led by former Ford Motor Co. executives has submitted a revised bid this week for Ford's Volvo unit and hopes to beat the offer by Chinese carmaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, the Wall Street Journal reported citing people familiar with the situation.

The group, called Crown consortium, is led by former Ford director Michael Dingman and former Ford and Chrysler LLC executive Shamel Rushwin, the newspaper said.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20091203/COPY01/312039970/1193
    (registration link)

Let's hope that at least ONE of the Swedes makes it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I just don't see Volvo going away. They have lots of new product out and have had sales up consistently month after month. We have almost gone to a waiting list on the XC60. I have two cars to sell for the next couple of months and all the rest are ordered to spec with deposits. One of the cars I have to sell is a demo and it will go before the end of the year.

By next summer every Volvo model but one will have been completely redesigned or refreshed since 2007 The XC90 is the only one left to be resigned and that will happen in 12-18 months.
    I don't think Volvo will go entirely away, no, but I wonder how it will change in the next 10 years if it becomes a subsidiary of Geely in China.

For one thing, once all Volvos for global consumption are being built in China (which seems inevitable to me in the long term if Geely succeeds in buying it), will they be as popular?

Volvo is the newest subsidiary of Zheijang Geely Holdings of China, or at least it will be next summer:

Ford Set to Close Volvo Sale to China's Geely by June

Ford Motor Co. confirmed Wednesday details of its sale of Volvo to China's Zheijang Geely Holding Group Company Ltd. have been settled, and the deal likely will close in the second quarter of next year.

Saying more information would be revealed when the final documents are signed in the first quarter of 2010, Ford provided no details about the terms of the sale, including the price. Experts estimate the price $1.8 billion, making it the largest overseas acquisition by a Chinese automaker

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/12/ford-set-to-close-volvo-sale-to-chinas-geely- -by-june.html#more

That's a long name, Zheijang Geely Holding Group Company Ltd. Not so catchy when set before, say, S60. "Hello, I would like a Zheijang Geely Holding Group Company Ltd. Volvo S60, can you show me one?"(!!)

All Volvos manufactured in China for export within ten years, mark my words....

Killing the brand's appeal in western markets.

Maybe the cars will end up with some nifty German styling ;)

Ford lost more than $4.5 billion on the purchase of Volvo, which it fully acquired in 1999.

Geely has indicated that it wants to maintain Volvo's production in Sweden, where the labor leader on Volvo's board said he likes what he hears of the sale.

Of course, that is what they would say NOW....might be a different story once the acquisition is complete.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091223/COPY01/312239976/113- 1#

It's interesting the way this article is written, they almost make it seem like Volvo will be the automaker that teaches the Chinese how to be a full-fledged global automaking force.

The agreement, which Ford said it expected to sign in the first quarter and close in the second quarter, would be the largest acquisition of a Western auto brand by a Chinese company.

It comes at the end of a year that may see China overtake the United States as the world's biggest auto market, a feat that would have been unthinkable only a few years ago.

.....Chinese automakers have been short on the know-how to make quality cars, although they have been making rapid advances, and have sought the technology and intellectual property to improve their product lineups.

I guess they could have a worse teacher. It seems clear that China is going to replace North America as the center of the automaking universe within a decade or two.

• ignitepassionignitepassion Member Posts: 9
    Summary

In The Path to Globalization of China's Automotive Industry (GLG News May 18, 2009), I described the motivation and steps to be taken for China's automotive companies to go global. The recent move by Zhejiang Geely Automotive Group to acquire Volvo from Ford represents the most ambitious move to date for a Chinese vehicle manufacturer to accelerate the process of transforming into a global automotive player.
    Analysis

By selling the Volvo car brand, Ford had taken a major step of shedding ifs portfolio of loss-making brands that previously comprised its Premier Automotive Group. In doing so, Ford realizes its objective of sharpening its focus down to its core mass-market brands. This represents a clear and sound strategy for Ford to focus its management attention and investments in the area of the business is understands best. But how does this deal benefit Volvo and its new suitor, Geely?

Rationale for the Acquisition of Volvo

The roots of the deal require understanding of the way Geely's Chairman Li Shufu views the auto business. Founded in 1986, as a manufacturer of refrigerators, Geely in the early 1990's expanded into motorcycle parts and eventually motorcycles and scooters. After rapidly expanding volume and scale, Geely began producing automobiles in 1998.

Admittedly, Chairman Li’s initial view of automobiles was quite simplistic. His initially view of a car was essentially “a sofa with 4 wheels”. However, Li has quickly become an expert in the car business and increasingly demonstrates an understanding of what needs to be done to become a competitive car company. He has already become quite critical of his initial understanding of the complexities of the automobile and the complex ingredients behind building global brands.

Specifically, Li recognizes the importance of technology and the capability of developing technology to an automotive company. He also has grown in his appreciation for how multi-national companies must be capable of self-development of technologies of the products they sell.

China and its car companies believe that the country which produces and consumes the most automobiles must be competitive on the world stage. However, leaders like Li Shufu understand that selling cars in China is not the same as in developed countries. Selling affordably-priced cars to the vast number of entry-level Chinese consumers is a significant step away from the goal of selling Chinese-branded cars to experienced consumers in mature markets.

Geely's acquisition of Volvo is intended to accelerate the process of achieving this goal.

Geely’s Approach to Integration:

The industrial revolution started late in China, and is happening on a much shorter time schedule. Chinese companies are trying to achieve what took many decades for Japanese and Korean companies in a much shorter time frame. Geely will take the approach of “standing next to companies and learning from them”. They must find companies to associate with and transfer knowledge from them. Their recent partnership with Manganese Bronze to produce London Taxi parts and vehicles, along with the acquisition of Australian gearbox maker Drivetrain Systems International were examples of this approach.

However, just taking pieces is not sufficient. The approach Geely is taking in the acquisition of Volvo is to study the entire ”business system” and integrate this into Geely's global strategy.

Geely is based in Zhejiang province, which is a haven for export-oriented companies. Chairman Li is adapting this mindset to into Geely’s strategy: a fundamental belief that a viable business must eventually become global and achieve the capability to sell its products around the world.

Geely's approach can be summarized:

1. Learn the Volvo “business system” and get in the global game
    2. Use this opportunity to promote the corporate Geely name world-wide
    3. Learn to manage a high-end car brand: essential skills for to become a global car company.

Geely describes itself as the “poor boy from the country”, while Volvo is the “rich girl from the city”. Geely believed that for the marriage to be successful, certain commitments must be made. Geely therefore strives to preserve Volvo's:

1. Brand Equity
    2. Culture
    3. Manufacturing and R&D in Europe (to preserve "European-ness")
    4. Relationships with Suppliers and Distributors
    5. Management Team (use Volvo management to run Volvo, similar in approach to Hong Kong integration: “One Country, Two Systems”
    6. Relationship with Labor Union

Strategic Fit

While the viability of Volvo’s global business may be challenging in the near-term, Geely believes:

1. Volvo is a small percentage of Ford’s overall business, and is not core to Ford’s global strategy. Volvo is simply not a priority to Ford.
    2. In contrast, Volvo WILL BE core to Geely’s global strategy and will be therefore more highly valued.
    3. Ford has not placed sufficient emphasis on Volvo in the emerging growth markets – especially China.

Volvo today suffers from a lack of scale across their product portfolio. Volumes are evenly distributed across the portfolio, which creates a cost structure disadvantage versus other global players. By having a number of low-volume products burdens Volvo with high investment with limited scale, which is problematic for a brand trying to compete internationally.

Geely believes there is SIGNIFICANT upside potential for Volvo in the China market. Simply put, it is believed that If BMW and Mercedes-Benz can sell over 50,000 cars and Audi can sell over 100,000 cars, then Volvo has the opportunity to grow significantly as a European luxury brand in China. To achieve this, Volvo must be understood in China as a European brand, not just a Scandinavian brand.

There will be very little conflict with Geely’s brands, therefore very little brand tension among the parents. In addition, Ford very likely did not leverage low-cost global sourcing to achieve a more competitive cost structure for Volvo. Geely will seek to achieve sourcing efficiencies and cost benefits through further localization in China.

Geely will likely use Volvo to challenge Audi’s position as the “government official’s car”
    While Volvo and Geely should have their own strategies as well as management, business processes (such as Sourcing and Product Development) can be shared, however technology sharing will likely require legal/IP clearance. The partners will also need to align key Volvo and Geely strategies including how to address New Energy/Low Carbon initiatives.

While marrying Volvo appears to be quite ambitious for "poor boy" that has only a little more than a decade of automotive experience, the industrial logic appears to be quite pragmatic and sound. With the proper attention to the process of post-acquisition integration, Geely can indeed use the Volvo to accelerate th
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Geely may get some more modern technology from Volvo, but Volvo vehicles have been sort of OBE for awhile now. I don't see Volvo cars getting the cachet of a BMW in China any time soon either. Volvo no longer has the safety edge to itself and its cars seem somewhat mediocre for the price.
    Sell Geelys? Volvo dealers ponder possibility

Volvo dealers don't know whether a sale of the brand to China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group means they'll get an opportunity to sell inexpensive Chinese cars in the United States.

But it "sounds appealing," says Mark O'Steen, owner of O'Steen Volvo in Jacksonville, Fla. "I'll try anything. It is just another niche that we don't cover, and hopefully they do have some potential in the United States."

On Dec. 23, Ford Motor Co. said it expected to close a deal to sell its Volvo unit to Geely in the second quarter. Like other Chinese brands, Geely eventually wants to sell cars in the United States. To do that, it needs a distribution channel, which the Swedish brand could provide.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100104/RETAIL07/301049943/1- - 078#

Well, that would certainly add an air of exclusivity to Volvo dealerships, with those Geelys all over the front lot...:-P

I guess I didn't realize just how desperate those Volvo dealers are after a couple of very lean years.....

That would be amusing...my local Volvo dealer also sells MB, Porsche, and Audi. I suspect they'd be dropping the Volvo franchise if they had to sell those things. Although it might make good copycar comparisons if Geely has another fake C-class.
    edited April 2011
    "Volvo, another brand sold off by Ford, is also pushing to build scale, in part by expanding in China, the home market of its new parent, Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. Last year, its global sales rose 11% to 373,525 cars, though they slipped 12% in the U.S., Volvo's biggest market."

Cast-Off Car Brands Find a Road Back (Wall Street Journal)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    March was a big month. Sales up 20%+ over a year prior, and YTD about 11%. Not that they didn't have plenty of room to improve!

the S60 is doing very well, and the XC60 is also building steam.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sigi1sigi1 Member Posts: 3
    Isn't Volvo still a great player?
    I think this development will go on.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

Volvo has posted a solid first quarter, with earnings jumping to $103 million. That's nearly double the Q1, 2010 totals, in part due to continued strong demand for its XC60 crossover.

I was a bit miffed that they got sold off to Geely but it seems they are being allowed to operate as usual. Still one of the cleanest, most environmentally friendly, efficient and ecologically friendly plants I've ever been to. They also have the best overseas delivery programs out there.
    "One central area of contention: Mr. Jacoby wants to focus on safety and fuel-efficiency with smaller cars, while Mr. Li believes Volvo must expand aggressively into luxury cars to compete with BMW, Mercedes and Audi. In China, the world's biggest car market, legions of newly rich consumers are snapping up fancy sedans at a dizzying pace.

"Volvo and Mr. Jacoby can take the moral high ground and stick with the company's tradition of understated, more modest style," Mr. Li said in a March interview, but the brand has no future in China unless it caters to flashier tastes."

Chinese Begin Volvo Overhaul (Wall St. Journal)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    so stretch the S80 and bling it out, and have other models for other parts of the world.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited June 2012
    "It's becoming more and more clear that if you're an automaker (particularly an automaker whose home currency isn't the U.S. dollar), and you actually want to make money on the cars you sell in the U.S., you have to build those cars in North America."

Volvo Wants to Build Cars in North America... Maybe in a Chrysler Plant (Straightline)
    edited September 2012
    "Swedish car maker Volvo Car Corp. on Wednesday warned that the auto boom in China appears over, as the company reported a sharp decline in operating profit for the first six months. "
    Volvo Pares Output on China Slowdown (WSJ)

"Volvo Car Corp. will cut its workforce by 200 to 300 people at its Swedish factory in response to weak European demand, a union official said."

Volvo Cars to Cut as Many as 300 Jobs in Sweden on Slow Demand (Bloomberg)

US sales were up a bit over 20% over August 2011. But they are down 1% for the year to date. (carsok)
    Not surprising, they sold NONE of those. But with that goes the last Volvo available with a manual shift, and the only stand-out in the entire line. :-(

• raylionraylion Member Posts: 4
    Volvo is working on their safety image.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg FAIL haha
    "Chinese-owned Volvo Car Corporation will spend about half of $11 billion of planned investment on a production upgrade in Sweden that it says will cut costs and help sales of its cars buck a market downturn.

The plans would mark a final technological break with Ford."

Volvo to upgrade production in Sweden (irishtimes.com)

"If anybody thought that Volvo had the intention to move to China, I think we, with these signals, can put those ideas to rest," Mr. Samuelsson said during a news conference at Volvo's headquarters on Monday. The company currently employs 14,500 people in Sweden."

Volvo Won't Quit Swedish Home for China (Wall St. Journal)
    "The assembly plant in Daqing is under construction and the first pre-series cars will be built in late 2013 for training purposes. The plant is expected to be fully operational in 2014. Volvo did not say which models will be built there.

Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd., whose Chinese parent bought Volvo Cars in 2010, will start selling vehicles jointly developed with the Swedish company in 2015, according to Bloomberg.
    "
    Volvo Revs Up Manufacturing in China
    IMO a big part of the reason Volvo sells in the first world outside of Sweden is the Scandinavian connection. Make em in China, and they will fail here (as the Chinese criminals who buy their way in prefer German cars). Maybe will sell in China, maybe not even in other BRICs. Good luck with that.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Pretty car but obviously the person writing the headlines never owned a P1800.

"OFFICIAL
    Volvo Concept Coupe is brand's 'next-generation P1800' "

I hope this is just marketing language. The P1800 was a tough little car but in terms of engineering, comfort and performance, it was 10 years behind the times.
    But ahead of its time as far as safety goes...

Volvo's oldest model earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award
    Pretty good and it sounds like Volvo is going back to emphasizing safety.

"The company is also hiring a new ad agency and working on a bolder message emphasizing Volvo's reputation for safety. One idea that could make it into the company's ads: Volvo's internal goal of having no deaths or serious injuries in new Volvo cars by 2020.

Volvo plots return to the US market next year (stltoday.com)
    Polestar S60/V60

Not sure about the Blue but it love the Silver and the White. Can't wait to try one of these, especially the wagon!

"Volvos produced in China will be exported to the U.S. market "fairly quickly," Hakan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Car Corp. said at the Automotive News World Congress.

Samuelsson, 62, would not give a target date but indicated that Volvo is in a unique position to use China as a manufacturing and export base, because it is owned by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which purchased the brand from Ford Motor Co. in 2010."

Volvos made in China to come to U.S. 'fairly quickly,' says CEO
    (Automotive News)

There's one car off my list.

Comparing smartphones to premium cars? How do these execs ascend as they do? Mindblowing.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    "Volvos produced in China will be exported to the U.S. market "fairly quickly," Hakan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Car Corp. said