Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about Volvo's future?

rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
How many of you think Volvo will be a major player in the future ?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    How many of you like/love the new Volvo S80 ?

Any of you considering a purchase/lease of this car ?

Do you think we'll see a Type R version with a stick ?

When will the S80 be available for purchase ?

Do any of you think Volvo is a benefit or negative brand for Ford ?

Will Volvo add profitability to the Ford line-up ?

Is Volvo the safest automobile company on the road today ?

These are just a few questions I would like answered with facts and opinions on this forum.

Happy Easter

Rocky
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    Volvo had a following of loyal die had customers. Now it's following a list of brands that have an identity crisis:Sab,Saturn,Buick,Mercury,Jaguar.
    My brother and sister-n-law and now my sister have second thoughts about buying another Volvo because it's owned by Ford. This is contrary to the fact that they like their cars and have had good reliability experience. Go figure! :confuse:
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...by Ford hurt Volvo and does being owned by Mercedes help Chrysler? Unlike GM toward Saab, I think Ford as a parent keeps its nose out of its child's affairs. Certainly Volvo styling hasn't been more attractive. Would have Volvo survived without Ford? I'm sure Jaguar would've expired around 1990 without them as would've Saab without GM.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    In the interest of full disclosure, let me say that we have a Volvo S40 so I'm slightly biased.

I do like the S80, I think it is a beautiful design and would be interested to see a road test to learn more. That said, it's out of my price range so it won't be on my shopping list any time soon.

The engineering strength of Volvo is a bonus for Ford. They have already used this in marketing campaigns and I think they are a profit center for Ford already. Thats something Ford needs a lot of right now.

I think Volvo will continue to have a solid presence here. As has been said, they do have a loyal following and the new designs are attracting more interest. Quality must continue to improve. There are just too many choices out there now in the premium lux-performance area to get by with sub par quality.

Let me explain why we chose our S40 and maybe that will help explain why I think they will continue with sucess here.

We liked the distinct design and "uniqueness" of the Volvo. In this class, BMW 3 series, Acura TSX's, Infiniti G35's and the like have become very common. We did not want to see ourselves at every traffic light.

Bang for the buck performance wise and luxury wise. 218 hp, full leather, pwr driver and passenger seat for well under 30k. A comparable BMW could not be had for under 30.

The safety of the cars was considered a bonus.

I think they have an opportunity to market their wagons during this time of rising gas prices. Drove one as a loaner while the car was in for service and loved it. Does not have the ride height as an SUV, but had every bit as much room as my 4Runner and a much much better ride and fuel economy.

Sorry for the ramble, just my .02.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    To answer your questions

i like the new S80, I would love to have seen the first version that was rejected though.
    There won't be a manual version for the US, and likely no R spec version either.

The S80 will be available in the US @ the end of the year

Ford needs to fix its own issues first, Volvo's profitability is nice, but won't sustain Ford.

Volovo safest, no doubt. Other car companies make safe cars, but no one maker has all the advantages Volvo has.
    There won't be a manual version for the US, and likely no R spec version either.

That stinks.... :cry:

The S80 will be available in the US the end of the year

As a 2007 or 2008 model ?

Volovo safest, no doubt. Other car companies make safe cars, but no one maker has all the advantages Volvo has.

Saab comes pretty darn close. One thin when I think of Scandinavian cars, is SAFETY ;) Volvo and Saab sure deliver. Both have good reputations for quality and make cars that are like no other. I'm hoping GM will be more Volvo-ish since I love the new S80.

Volvomax, do you know how much a loaded out new S80 might cost me ?

Thanx,

Rocky

P.S. Thanx folks for contributing. Keep up the good work. Volvo is a great car company. I wish their dealerships were a little easier to work with. ;)

Rocky
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    Saab comes pretty darn close. One thin when I think of Scandinavian cars, is SAFETY Volvo and Saab sure deliver. Both have good reputations for quality and make cars that are like no other.

Saab has a reputation in the United States as being a vehicle for quirky nonconformist types. While it exploits its niche quite well, when all is said and done it's still a small niche. Volvo is more mainstream, especially among those buyers who focus on safety. These differing perceptions may make it difficult for Saab to ever reach the same sales levels as Volvo, even ignoring the differences in corporate ownership.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I own a 1998 Volvo S-70 base model (107K) and my sister has a 2000 Volvo S-80 (90K), both our first Volvos and both have the same opinions- nice cars, great features, long lasting, wonderful seats, good safety- but neither of us would buy another one. Why? Because they are very expensive to maintain and are subject to frequent nuisance maintenance (electrical, etc), which is typical of most European makes. And their acquisition prices are pretty high. Thing is Volvo used to have a wonderful market for affluent people that were safety conscious but guess what- the Asian manufacturers make vehicles with good safety ratings too now, with wonderful features and better price points. If you look at the sales figures for Volvo in the U.S. over the past year, the trend is not good. Lots of Volvo buyers going to the lower end Acura/Lexus/Infinity lines. I am not optimistic for Volvo.
    The S80 will probably be a 2007 model.

Look for a loaded V8 to sticker somewhere in the mid $50's.
    The only reason that Volvo's numbers are down this year is because Volvo has nothing new to offer in terms of design.
    The S80 is an 8 yr old car, the S60 is 6 yrs old.
    The XC90 is holding its own, the V8 is doing well actually.

When the refreshed XC90 debuts this fall and the C70 is available in numbers and the S80 is launched, Volvo's numbers will go back up.

From 1995 to 2004 Volvo's sales numbers almost doubled.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I like the styling cues of the new S80 but despise the little black warts they installed on the door handles for the keyless go system. Others have figured out how to make the access controls for these systems less of an eyesore--why not Volvo?

We will not see a type-R version with a stick unless the S80 replaces the S60. Volvo is a good thing for Ford because Ford has been able to use (if memory serves) Volvo's chassis on the Fivehundredstyle and Volvo's stability control system on all their SUVs.

Mercedes and the other European manufacturers give Volvo a run for their money on the safety front. Volvo's decision to make DSTC optional on the S40, S60, and the old S80 does not look very favorable insofar as making them the safest automobile company. Also, I feel that the safety gap between the mainstream cars and Volvo is smaller than it ever has been, particularly with mainstream cars like the Hyundai Sonata which includes six airbags, ABS, and stability control standard (and fared well in crash tests, if memory serves).

My mom has a 2002 Volvo S80 2.9, and I have seen more bizzare, one-time electrical glitches with that car than with any other car I've encountered.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Saabs are for yuppies who think they're not yuppies... ;)

BTW does Saab still put the ignition switch on the center console? I always liked that. I miss the coupe. :(
    Volvomax,

I appreciate the reply. A Mid $50's price tag will certainly be out of my reach without a special lease program which rarely happens. I do love the new S80 and it's new and improved interior and safety features. To bad it will be very expensive to own one. I guess I can wish and hope Saab will deliver a similar product for a buncha money cheaper.

BTW- I can use my GM-employee discount on a Saab product and GM seems determined to make Saab as good or bette than Volvo. Time will tell, but I'm rooting for Saab to be atleast as good as Volvo and make a car as cool as the S-80 and I do like Saab's styling and safety and wish GM a good turn around for Saab.

Rocky
    To put the S80 V8's price in perspective:
    A BMW 550i starts @ $58,500 and goes up from there.
    a M-B E500 starts @ $58,400.
    The S80 V8 will undercut the Germans by $10,000.

If you don't need to V8, you should be able to get an S80 3.2 for the low 40's nicely equipped.

A premium V8 European sedan is not, nor will ever be cheap.
    the materials and technology simply don't allow for a cheap car. The cheapest competitor the Infiniti M45 starts at $48k.

As for Saab,sadly they are dead.
    GM has no will or money to make Saab a real player in the lux market. They are re-badging everything in sight to give Saab something to sell.
    I wish them luck as well, but I don't hold much hope for their future.
    As for Saab,sadly they are dead.
    GM has no will or money to make Saab a real player in the lux market. They are re-badging everything in sight to give Saab something to sell.
    I wish them luck as well, but I don't hold much hope for their future.

Well GM management already has a 9-5 and 9-3 replacement in store. How good will they be ? Well I can only hope they are atleast as good as the Asians. Volvo like I said makes a darn good car, but it's not like it's light years ahead of it's rivals. If Saab can make AWD and continue to improve Safety and more importantly Technology and Gadgetology, I see no reason why Saab won't sell more cars than Volvo. Saab has alot more engine techology R&D than Volvo. Volvo borrowed a Japanese V-8 from Yahmaha which I'm not sure I agree with :confuse: Atleast Saab can make their own engine, which are technical marvels and will continue to be. ;)

Rocky
    Actually, Saab doesn't make their own anything. Their engines are sourced from Opel, Subaru and Chevrolet.

The Yamaha V8 was designed by Volvo, the engine is built by Yamaha because Volvo doesn't have the capacity to build the engine.
    The new Volvo SI6 will be built in England. This is an Inline 6 that has the same exterior dimensions as the the current I5. The engine is so good that Jaguar will be using it to replace their own I6's.

Saab stands as a cautionary tale about what happens when a big motor co destroys the esprit and character of a smaller one.
    The All-New Volvo S80 Challenges the Class with Scandinavian Luxury

Volvo is now unveiling the first pictures of the all new Volvo S80.
    The S80 makes its entry onto the market with a dynamic design language, firm focus on premium comfort, smooth driving properties and world-class safety.

A V8 engine in combination with all-wheel drive, and an entirely new in-line six, powers Volvo's bid to attract this most demanding segment of car buyers.

The all new Volvo S80 will be unveiled at the international motor show in Geneva, February 28th, with a North American debut at the New York International Auto Show, April 12th.

“The all new S80 is entering an immensely tough segment where the competition is razor-sharp and the customers have very high expectations. We are now challenging the best in the segment with a very special car. It radiates what we call ‘Scandinavian Luxury,’ clean and elegant lines and intelligent functionality where every single detail has been designed with the user’s well-being in mind,” says Fredrik Arp, President and CEO of Volvo Cars, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Inviting and Intelligent
    According to Volvo, "Scandinavian Luxury," radiates a different, more human prestige by combining aesthetics and technology in an inviting and intelligent way.

In the all new Volvo S80, the attributes of luxury are expressed through: simple yet elegant design; technology that gives the user practical benefit or sheer enjoyment in every single detail; and, a sense of responsibility in the form of world-class safety and environmental care.

“The new S80 is about evolutionary design. All the shapes and materials represent a continuous development of our design language. On the outside we have given the S80 a more, youthful and dynamic stance. Inside we have created an even more inviting atmosphere with refined materials and colors that blend smoothly with smart, user-friendly technology,” explains Volvo Cars’ design director Steve Mattin.

Engine Range Includes a V8 and an All New In-Line Six
    The second-generation S80 is the first sedan model to become available with Volvo’s compact, transversely mounted V8 engine with a power output of 311 (SAE) horsepower and 325 lb/ft of torque. With four catalytic converters and advanced electronics, this engine, which was first introduced in the Volvo XC90, is one of the cleanest V8s on the market.

The all new S80 also showcases the introduction of an entirely new naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine, a unit so compact that it is about the same size as Volvo’s five-cylinder engines. It can be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission since the camshaft drive mechanism and the ancillaries have been relocated and partially integrated into the engine block itself.

The new in-line six has a displacement of 3.2 liters and it produces 235 horsepower. The maximum torque of 236 lb/ft provides rapid acceleration.

All-Wheel Drive in Combination with V8
    Volvo’s largest sedan model now will be available with All-Wheel Drive. The AWD and V8 combination initially appeared in the successful integration of the XC90 V8.

The all new S80 can be equipped with an optional Four-C active chassis. The Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept, which was introduced with the performance on demand S60 R, automatically adjusts chassis settings to better suit the current driving conditions.

To further control, performance, and safety, DSTC (Dynamic Stability and Traction Control) is fitted as standard to enhance performance and safety,…and a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is also fitted as standard.

New Safety Systems
    The safety level is world-class – the new S80 is a true Volvo. The structure, which was among the pioneers of 5-star performance, has been further developed and newly patented. In addition, new active safety systems are among the new S80 features.

The all new S80 will be the first Volvo model to feature Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning and Brake Support.

This available system encompasses two functions:

The adaptive cruise control automatically maintains a selected distance to the vehicle in front.
    If the adaptive cruise control is not being used and the gap to the vehicle in front closes so fast that a collision is likely, the system alerts the driver by activating a buzzer and warning lights. At the same time, the braking system is prepared for the situation to make braking more effective.

The new S80 will be available with active Bi-Xenon headlights that turn the beam of light in the direction of the bending road to provide the best possible visibility.

The advanced PCC (Personal Car Communicator) remote control unit is a world's first, featuring a number of intelligence functions. Even before the driver gets to the car, he or she can check its security status, for example if the car is locked or whether the alarm has been activated. A heartbeat sensor warns if someone is hiding inside the car.

World-Class Audio System
    The all new Volvo S80 can of course be equipped with Volvo’s Premium Sound audio system. A Digital ICE Power amplifier from Alpine, Dolby Pro Logic II Surround and loudspeakers from DynAudio of Denmark work in concert to produce a quality audio experience that is superb.

“We are convinced that the all new Volvo S80 will be a very strong contender that will win over many new customers. We expect 70 percent of the average volume of 50,000 cars a year to be purchased by customers who do not drive a Volvo today. The main markets are the USA, Germany, Spain, Sweden and China,” says Fredrik Arp.

Visit the All-New Volvo S80 site.
    The All-New Volvo S80 Powered by New-Six-Cylinder In-line Engine

Volvo Cars is unveiling an entirely new high-efficiency six-cylinder in-line engine, featuring an advanced induction system that contributes to both good performance and impressive fuel efficiency. Volvo's innovative engineering solutions have created a remarkably compact engine for the second generation of its new S80 luxury sedan. As a result, the transversely installed engine further contributes to impressive impact safety.

The all new compact, six-cylinder engine, designed by Volvo, features a main structure that is made entirely of aluminum. In spite of its compactness, the new engine has a larger displacement, more horsepower, and a higher peak torque than Volvo's previous generation naturally aspirated in-line six.

“The engine has been designed to be mated to Volvo’s new six-speed automatic transmission,” says Derek Crabb, Vice President Powertrain at Volvo Cars. “And the entire driveline has been designed together with the rest of the car so as to create a harmonious, high-class driving experience in every respect.”

Two Engines in One
    The engine features a range of very technically advanced solutions. An advanced valve train and a variable intake system mean that the engine can be exploited efficiently throughout the rev range, thus promoting alert response and excellent performance. At the same time, the engine is very fuel-efficient.

The valve train features VCT (Variable Cam Timing) and CPS (Cam Profile Switching) on the inlet side – two key elements in providing the engine with excellent driveability and flexibility.

CPS (Cam Profile Switching) means that the camshaft is designed such that the inlet valves are lifted to two different heights depending on engine speed and load.

In normal driving with normal throttle opening and low engine revs, fuel consumption is modest yet torque is sufficient to provide good driveability.

In more enthusiastic driving, which involves full throttle opening and high engine revs, the engine response to acceleration is instantaneous, providing a massive thrust of power at both low and at high speeds.

“In principle, Cam Profile Switching creates two engines in one,” explains Derek Crabb. “We can unite widely differing demands on the engine, and easily meet the requirements of customers with entirely different wishes. For instance, we can satisfy customers who prioritize performance as well as those who are more interested in driving comfort and fuel economy with equal ease.”

VIS (Variable Intake System) has been equipped with two throttle flap valves which adjust the intake manifold volume to suit the current driving situation. This results in a uniformly high and broad torque curve.

“Through precise interplay with the flap valves we actually get three different torque curves that are integrated with one another,” says Derek Crabb. “Consequently, we can exploit the engine’s capacity to the maximum and extract the highest possible power throughout the rev range. The result is alert response to the accelerator pedal at both low and high speeds, with both generous power and good driveability.”

Compact Format Contributes to Impressive Collision Safety
    Despite the engine’s 3.2 liter displacement, the exterior dimensions are extremely compact. The complete engine package is only about one-tenth of an inch longer than Volvo’s five-cylinder engine. The total engine length is less than 25 inches.

“A compact format is a matter of safety,” explains Derek Crabb. “It is particularly important that the engine takes up minimal space longitudinally in the vehicle. Volvo’s engines are fitted transversely and a compact engine thus has more space to move inside the engine compartment in the event of an impact that deforms the car’s front. This helps reduce the risk of engine penetration into the passenger compartment.”

The engine itself cannot be made all that much smaller since the cylinder spacing and block structure are roughly the same as in the five-cylinder engine. Instead, the focus was on building the entire installation, encompassing the engine, automatic transmission and ancillaries, in as compact a package as possible. One additional condition that had to be taken into account was that the transmission would be a six-speed automatic.

Integrated Drive System with Shaft in Shaft Design
    The compact dimensions of the transversely mounted, in-line six-cylinder engine are ensured by locating the ancillaries, such as the Power Assisted Steering Pump and Air Conditioning Compressor, behind the engine in the space above the gearbox. Consequently, there is no front-end drive of the ancillaries. Instead they are driven via gears by the rear end of the crankshaft. This engineering solution is known as READ – Rear End Ancillary Drive. The alternator is direct-driven and installed on the engine block. This solution means that the entire engine and transmission package takes up minimum space, particularly in the car’s longitudinal direction.

By designing the drive system in the form of a small gearbox with an intermediate shaft inside the driveshaft – known as a Shaft-in-Shaft design – it was possible to ensure a very short package. The two shafts are driven by different gears that give them different speeds (one speed for camshaft drive and one for the ancillaries).

“We are very proud of this compact solution,” relates Derek Crabb. “A lot of highly advanced development work was required in order to arrive at a design that ensures smooth and quiet operation.”

The vibration damper too, which compensates for vibration in the six-cylinder engine’s relatively long crankshaft, has been moved inside the engine block. The IVD (Internal Viscous Damper) is a fluid type - an unusual solution in the context of passenger cars.

“All told, the new six-cylinder engine offers a premium experience in every respect,” comments Derek Crabb. “This applies to its performance and fuel efficiency, and also to its driving comfort and the sound of the engine. The fact that the engine’s design also helps enhance safety isn’t something the customer usually thinks about, but it is naturally a central part of Volvo’s product concept,” he adds.

Built in Wales
    Volvo’s new six-cylinder engine will be built in Ford’s modern engine factory in Bridgend, Wales. The factory was built in 1980 and had already manufactured ten million engines by 2001. In recent years, considerable investments have been made to meet the stringent quality requirements imposed by Ford’s Premium Automotive Group (PAG).

“Bridgend is a dedicated engine production unit,” explains Derek Crabb. “The factory builds many of the six- and eight-cylinder engines for the PAG brands. Although the new Volvo engine is being built in Bridgend, it was specified, designed, engineered and developed entirely by Volvo. The engine will start series production the
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Safety

In nearly every area of occupant safety – from highly sophisticated crash energy management in the chassis and new side impact air bags, to swiveling headlights and a new generation of support systems that help the driver make the right decisions – the all new Volvo S80 expands Volvo Car Corporation’s leadership in both preventative and protective safety.

Next Generation Safety

In the tradition of the first generation Volvo S80 luxury sedan that introduced innovations like the Inflatable Curtain (IC) head and upper body protection, and the ground-breaking Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS) seating, the second generation S80 is a showcase of Volvo safety research and development.

The long list of innovations in protective (passive) safety is impressive,…including sophisticated crash energy absorption systems in the structure, the next generation of WHIPS whiplash mitigation, new Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) side airbags with separate chambers to protect chest and hips, and new protection for pedestrians.

Protective Safety

“The next generation S80 features a patented advanced body structure, offering high torsional rigidity which very effectively contributes to impact energy absorption,” says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars.

The patented front body structure in the Volvo S80 has been divided into zones, each with a different task during the deformation process in a collision. The outer zones are responsible for most of the deformation. The closer the collision forces get to the passenger compartment, the less the material deforms.

The design of the drivetrain, including the transverse mounting of the engines and significant engineering to reduce the exterior dimensions of the engines and transmissions, has added additional deformation capacity in the engine compartment. “There is a great deal of creativity and advanced engine technology behind these solutions,” says Güllsdorf.

Improved Side Airbag

A new side airbag helps the patented Volvo Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) become even more effective. The new airbags have two separate chambers – one for the hips and one for the chest. As the hips can withstand greater forces than the chest, the lower chamber can be inflated to a pressure that is up to five times higher than in the upper chamber. The new side airbags interact with the Inflatable Curtains (IC) and the body’s structure to optimize protection. Both the sills and the B-pillars have been reinforced.

Improved WHIPS System

Rear impact protection is also enhanced. The groundbreaking WHIPS system in the S80 has been improved to provide better compliance and support for the head in the event of an impact.

Pedestrian Protection

Protection for pedestrians and cyclists was also a consideration in the design of the all new S80. The front of the car has energy-absorbing features, including a well-proportioned, soft structure in front of the bumper to mitigate the risk of leg injuries. The lower edge of the spoiler has been reinforced and moved forward, almost in line with the bumper, to distribute the impact, on a leg for example, over a greater area to reduce the risk of injury.

The shape of the hood has been raised and a honeycomb structure underneath distributes the load on impact, helping to absorb the forces and reduce the risks of injury.

Active Bi-Xenon Lights

To produce an optimal range of vision when driving in the dark on winding roads, Volvo Cars has introduced the Active Bi-Xenon Light – swivelling headlights that follow the bends in the road. Road situations are measured and analyzed using a mini-processor which then optimizes the lighting. The headlights can be swivelled up to 15 degrees in each direction, and have the capacity to illuminate a longer distance when the road is winding. To save wear on the system, this function is disconnected automatically in daylight.

The angle of the headlights adjusts to variables such as vehicle load, acceleration, and braking to help reduce the risk of blinding oncoming road users. The headlights are cleaned by means of an electro-mechanical, high-pressure system that washes one headlight at a time to offer the best possible illumination.

Personal Security -- the PCC

Improved personal security is also a high priority for many buyers, and the Personal Car Communicator (PCC) is a world first from Volvo Cars that will help address their concerns.

The new PCC is an advanced pocket-sized control module that both sends and received information from the car. In its personal security role, the PCC provides information which could be crucial to the security of the car owner. By simply pressing a button, the car owner can acquire information within a few seconds:

o whether the car is locked or unlocked

o whether the alarm is activated or not

o whether there is someone in the car (which is determined using a highly sensitive heartbeat sensor and an advanced calculation process)

The information is accessible and relevant as long as the distance between the PCC and the car is within approximately 300 feet. The most recent information is stored in the module so that at any time and in any place a check can be made to see if the car was actually locked when it was parked.

“Personal security is one of the cornerstones of the Volvo safety profile,” says Güllsdorf. “It is about having your car left undisturbed and avoiding situations that could entail personal risk.”

Please note the PCC may not be available in some markets.

SIDEBAR

Other safety technologies in the all new Volvo S80

• A collapsible steering wheel, which during deformation is moved horizontally for the best possible interaction with the airbag

• Pedals with a collapse function

• Airbags with a dual-stage function

• Seatbelt pretensioners for all five seating positions

• Force limiters for the front seatbelts

• Reinforced, transversely mounted pipe between the A-pillars (contributes to side impact protection)

• Reinforced and rigid SIPS pipes in the seats and a deformable steel box in the center of the car

· Optional Self Supporting Tires (run-flat) with tire pressure monitoring system

· Highly advanced brake system with four key enhancements – Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA), Optimized Hydraulic Brakes (OHB), Ready Alert Brakes (RAB) and Fading Brake Support (FBS)

• Diagonally mounted crossmembers made of Ultra High Strength Steel in the doors
    SIDEBAR

Energy Absorption and Deformation

To give each zone the correct properties, the steel grades have been varied. Four different grades of steel are used. Apart from conventional bodywork steel, three different grades of high-strength steel are strategically placed: High Strength Steel, Extra High Strength Steel and Ultra High Strength Steel.

Low-speed deformation zone

The front bumper incorporates a rigid crossmember made of Ultra High-Strength Steel. The attachments to the body's longitudinal members are designed in the form of “crash boxes”. These help absorb the forces in a low-speed collision without damage to the other parts of the body structure.

High-speed deformation zone

Portions of the longitudinal chassis members are made of High-Strength Steel - very ductile steel that is optimized for high-energy absorption. This zone accounts for most of the deformation.

Back-up Zone

The section of the crossmember that turns outward towards the A-pillars act as a barrier to protect the passenger compartment, serving as a back-up to reduce deformation. The design also helps minimize the risk of the front wheel penetrating the passenger compartment. Instead, the wheel helps to absorb the collision forces. This section is very rigid and is made of Extra High-Strength Steel.

Three-way attachment

A rigid side member links the A-pillars and the lower side members so that they form an extremely rigid three-way attachment on each side. The design contributes significantly to protecting the passenger compartment in a serious collision.

:shades:

Well Just like the new girl on the block, obviously a young talented European Singer named Sophia Scofield, with her new song and the Volvo S80 anthem called "Prove It"

I'd like to think I backed up my words with facts and not myths ;)

I just proved it :P making the claim that the new 2007' Volvo S80 is the safest production car in the world.

I also want to tell Loren, until a Hyundai Sonata can match what I just posted in sheer safety equipment and crash test history, the Volvo stands alone on a pedestal as the king of safety for passenger cars. :shades:
    "You can take that to the bank" :blush:

Rocky
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Design

The elegant styling and dynamic profile of the second generation Volvo S80 is not merely influenced by Scandinavian design, it is a unique and timely interpretation of luxury as seen from a Scandinavian point of view.

The Exterior

The first generation Volvo S80 helped establish the modern era of Volvo design language. The all new S80 expands on the heritage. The entire front end of the 2007 S80 is gently rounded, without pronounced corners. The hood also possesses a more emphasized curvature, with a higher profile which provides added pedestrian protection. The headlamps are positioned lower than in the previous S80 and follow the curvature of the front, stretching onto the side and up towards the hood.

The doors are also more rounded. The previous inward curve of the door panels has been replaced with a convex, more powerful profile. At the same time, the haunches are both higher and broader, reinforcing the solid nature of the car's design. The sills have a more pronounced profile that visually lowers the car and gives it a stable, self-assured stance.

The more pronounced sweeping lines of the all new Volvo S80, present an aura of elegance and a sensation of agile motion. The tapered shape is accentuated with the gently rounded front sloping glass that transfers from the rear window to the trunk panel almost imperceptibly. The abruptly vertical tail creates a sensation of speed.

The look is further emphasized by the parallel profiles on the hood and the far-reaching clearly marked roof line, which fashions two parallel lines. The elegantly flowing lines are also complemented by the C-pillars, producing a visually slimmer appearance. The rear side windows, with chromed trim molding, are now framed by the rear doors.

“Although the all new Volvo S80 is an entirely new car from interior and exterior design to engine and new technology, it is important that it is easily identifiable - a Volvo,” says Volvo Cars design director Steve Mattin. “That is why we have emphasized many of those elements that help create the special Volvo character.”

The iconic diagonal bar along the vertical radiator grille, with the Volvo logo very much in evidence, has been even further enlarged to feature it more prominently. The trademark V-shape of the hood has been extended all the way to the front spoiler. The tail lamps echo the design of other cars in the Volvo product range, but their shape has been refined to create a somewhat lower profile, following the broader shoulder line. From the rear view, the LED lights at the top of the lamp units are easily identifiable as the new Volvo S80 at great distances, in the dark.

The all new Volvo S80 is the same overall length as its predecessor at 191 inches, but it is both slightly wider and taller. Its wheelbase is also longer and the track is wider. All told, these dimensions make for a more impressive stance and a greater presence on the road.

The Interior

The interior of the all new Volvo S80 reflects the elegant and luxurious exterior. Characterized by clean surfaces, congruous lines, exciting contrasts and smooth function, the new S80 epitomizes tradition of Scandinavian design.

The sweeping lines of the exterior are echoed in the car’s interior. As with the exterior, the accented contours are really two parallel lines that create a pronounced edge or profile. The same design language is found again in the door panels. Another consistent theme inside the car is the rectangular shape with rounded corners that characterizes free-standing functions such as the ignition lock and air vents. Every detail has been meticulously designed in form and function and is optimally positioned to provide an ergonomic and comfortable driver’s environment - an important prerequisite for safe, alert yet relaxed, driving.

The modern super-slim center console - first introduced in the Volvo S40 and V50 models - is one of the most striking visual attributes. In the new S80, the center console has been tailored to suit the more classic interior design. As a centrepiece of the passenger cabin, the console extends to the rear seat and hosts a number of smart functions for storage and connectivity to accessories, such as an iPod or electric cooling box.

Volvo front seats are regarded by many as the best on the market. They are designed to offer the best possible support and comfort, even on long trips. Available power seats can now be specified with perforated and ventilated leather upholstery. The ventilated seats are equipped with fans in the seat cushion and backrest. The temperature of the seat is quickly adjusted to a pleasant level, contributing to a high degree of comfort, particularly on hot days and in damp climates.

The opposite function – heating -- is available in the front as well as the rear seats and can be adjusted to any one of three temperature settings. Extended legroom in both front and rear seats of the new S80 surpasses the interior space of its predecessor. And, thanks to a thicker, hardened side glass which contributes to excellent sound damping, the interior space is luxuriously quiet.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Style, Sophistication, Safety and Scandinavian

Geneva, Switzerland (February 28, 2006) - The all new Volvo S80 is the flagship of the Volvo sedan line, a completely new luxury car with elegant styling, two highly sophisticated new engine choices, a long list of breakthrough safety technologies and a premium driving experience – all packaged in an aura of ‘Scandinavian luxury.’

Volvo Car Corporation anticipates sales of about 50,000 new S80 cars annually. North America will be the largest market.

With its clean, elegant lines and dynamic profile, the second generation Volvo S80 is the same overall length as its predecessor at 191 inches, but it is both slightly wider and taller. Its wheelbase is also longer and the track is wider. The generous interior space includes a wide range of intelligently designed functions, an ultra-slim center console, one of the world’s best audio systems and a strong Scandinavian influence where every detail has been meticulously designed according to form and function.

The all new Volvo S80 will be the first Volvo sedan with a V8 engine, as well as the first sedan with the highly sophisticated new Volvo in-line 6-cylinder engine. Both are mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with Geartronic sequential shifting. All Volvo S80 V8s with be equipped with the electronically controlled Volvo All-Wheel-Drive feature, while the I6 S80 with be front-wheel drive.

The highly refined ride and handling of the all new Volvo S80 can be attributed to an extremely rigid chassis structure. Performance and the drive experience are enhanced by the available Four C active suspension, adjustable power steering, and a host of measures that help keep noise, vibration, harshness and road irregularities from intruding into the luxurious interior.

The first generation Volvo S80, the first car to achieve 5-star crash test ratings in the United States, pioneered such safety innovations as the Inflatable Curtain (IC) and Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS) seating. The next generation S80 again raises the bar in safety.

Innovations in passive safety include a new side airbag with dual chamber construction for enhanced hip and chest protection, clever structural design that uses four different grades of steel for predictable crash energy absorption, the next generation of WHIPS rear impact protection and new approaches to pedestrian safety. Emphasis on active safety has resulted in the introduction of such features as adaptive cruise control, advanced functions to help shorten braking distance, swiveling bi-Xenon headlights that follow the car’s steering, collision warning systems and the world’s first remote car monitor.

The all new Volvo S80 can be equipped with one of the best audio systems in the world, Volvo Premium Sound. A digital amplifier from Alpine with Bang & Olufsen PowerHouse ICEPower® technology, Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround and loudspeakers from Dynaudio® of Denmark create an audio experience of the acoustically purest form.

The all new Volvo S80 integrates all of the technology and design features into a luxury car that is inviting, intelligent, and accessible. “We’re challenging the very best in the segment by offering refined Scandinavian luxury – in other words, clean and elegant lines combined with intelligent functionality. Every single detail has been designed with a firm focus on the user’s well-being,” says Fredrik Arp, president and chief executive officer of Volvo Cars.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Chassis

The second generation Volvo S80 has been designed to provide a superior experience behind the wheel. To help meet that objective, the engineers and designers combined exceptional torsional rigidity, an electronically controlled ‘active suspension’, adjustable power steering, all-wheel-drive power delivery and a host of refinements into the flagship S80.

Volvo takes a holistic approach to Safety, and the Swedish automaker has applied a similarly intelligent integration of new technologies in making the new S80 such a joy to drive.

The prescription for the outstanding ride, handling and comfort of the 2007 Volvo S80 begins with its completely new structure, featuring a patented design that serves double duty delivering both safety and performance. The highly rigid structure provides the solid base from which the S80 suspension works. That same structure is integral to deliver an advanced crash energy management, which includes four types of steel working in a sophisticated interplay to help control the forces of a collision.

The chassis design has been developed to ensure even more stability, predictability and controlled characteristics on the road than its predecessor.

Next, the new S80 gets an enhanced version of the Volvo Four C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) ‘active’ suspension. This is an advanced self-adjusting system that uses sensors to continuously monitor the car’s behavior. The shock absorbers can adjust to a given driving situation in a mere fraction of a second. Four-C modifies the chassis setting to suit the car’s speed (the higher the speed - the greater the damping). As a result, the car remains controllable even at higher speeds.

This technology also reduces the car’s tendency to squat, dip or roll under firm acceleration, hard braking or quick steering maneuvers.

"The active chassis adds an extra dimension to the driving pleasure," says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars. "The driving properties improve whatever the situation. Progress is both safer and more entertaining."

The newest Four-C system ups the ante from the previous S80 model and now offers three alternative chassis settings instead of the previous two. The driver simply presses a button to alter the car’s personality to suit his or her personal tastes.

• Comfort makes for sedate progress with gentle, harmonious body movements

• Sport provides more controlled body movements, faster steering response and added road contact

• Advanced minimizes damper movement and maximizes contact between the tires and the surface of the road – a setting for enthusiastic driving on smooth tarmac.

All-Wheel-Drive also contributes to the S80 driving experience. The second generation of the latest Volvo all-wheel drive system with Instant Traction uses sophisticated electronic controls to distribute power between the front and rear wheels for optimum traction, road-holding and performance.

Speed-dependent power steering is also an option in the new Volvo S80. The system provides more power assistance at low speeds, for example, to make parking easier. The power assistance gradually declines as road speed increases, disappearing entirely at high cruising speeds.

In order to give all drivers an optimum feeling for the road, the steering servo assistance can now be adjusted by way of the car’s information and set-up system. Power steering assistance can be set at one of three levels.

DSTC (Dynamic Safety and Traction Control) is fitted as standard in the all new Volvo S80 versions. DSTC is an electronic stability system, first introduced on the original S80, which reduces the engine's torque and applies suitable braking force to help reduce the risk of a skid, when necessary.

To assist from a standing start on an uphill gradient, V8 versions of the all new Volvo S80 are equipped with an intelligent electronically operated Power Parking Brake. This makes takeoffs far easier for the driver. If the parking brake is engaged at a stop light, for instance, it is automatically released as the car moves off. S80 cars without Power Parking Brake have a pedal-operated parking brake.

The entire car, not just the driveline, has been refined and honed to provide a driving experience of absolute premium calibre. "Each one of these systems contributes to both safer driving and greater driving pleasure," says project director Güllsdorf. "The systems working in concert in the all new Volvo S80 offer a particularly refined driving experience, whatever the driving conditions."
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Philosophy

The second generation of Volvo Car Corporation’s luxury S80 sedan has the dynamic driving properties, dramatic lines, personal comforts and advanced safety technologies expected from the Swedish company, along with a unique property that will set it apart in the market: Scandinavian luxury.

“We’re challenging the very best in the segment by offering refined Scandinavian luxury – in other words, clean and elegant lines combined with intelligent functionality. Every single detail has been designed with a firm focus on the user’s well-being,” says Fredrik Arp, president and chief executive officer of Volvo Cars.

‘Scandinavian luxury’, the company believes, is the opposite of traditional luxury. Rather than encouraging elitism based on cost and exclusivity, ‘Scandinavian luxury’ is a new, more human value derived from the combination of aesthetics and technology in a way that is inviting, intelligent and accessible. ‘Scandinavian luxury’ will appeal to individuals who value intelligent functionality and personal responsibility as well as aesthetics and prestige.

In the all new Volvo S80, ‘Scandinavian luxury’ marries the aesthetic appeal of the next generation of the Volvo design language with highly evolved technologies selected for the benefit or enjoyment they provide the owner, including world-class safety and concern for the environment. Every aspect of the next generation S80 has a benefit to the owner.

“We are convinced that we have a product that will win over many customers from our competitors. We expect that as much as 70 per cent of the average volume – 50,000 cars a year – will go to buyers who do not drive a Volvo today,” says Arp.

“It’s not about technical gadgetry and price,” adds Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director. “Instead, we approached the new S80 as a complete entity where highly advanced yet easy-to-use technical solutions provided occupants a comfortable, dynamic and safe driving experience.” There is no technology for technology’s sake, Güllsdorf concludes.
    Manufacturers that hope to succeed in the hyper-competitive premium segments of the market must provide their customers an ever-expanding array of features, but none is more crucial to success than the selection of powertrains. For the all new Volvo S80, Volvo Car Corporation is providing one of its most comprehensive engine line-ups with the company’s two newest engines headlining the car’s introduction in North America.

The new S80 will make its debut with a powerful V8 and sophisticated new in-line 6-cylinder engine beneath the graceful hood of the Volvo flagship sedan.

The First V8 Volvo Sedan

The all new Volvo S80 is the first Volvo sedan to be powered by the efficient, transverse-mounted V8 engine first introduced in the 2006 Volvo XC90. And sporting a curb weight differential of more than 1,000 lbs, the increased performance potential is obvious.

The unique design of a slim 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks makes the Volvo V8 an extremely streamlined engine, which also provides ample space for crumple zones – a Volvo safety imperative. In addition, by reversing the traditional offset of the cylinders and placing the left row ahead of the right, the engine has the optimum shape to fit the car’s body structure. A counter-rotating balance shaft reduces noise, vibration, and harshness.

Despite its relatively small size (4.4 liters), the V8 produces exemplary horsepower (311 bhp) and torque (325 lb./ft.), with exceptional drivability (273 lb./ft. of torque is available from 2000 rpm). With an extensive use of aluminum, the weight of the new engine is relatively quite low, which contributes to premium ride characteristics, handling and fuel economy.

Despite its high output, the first V8 to be fitted into a Volvo sedan is also among the cleanest V8s in the world. Four catalytic converters – two of which are positioned close to the engine – and a highly advanced engine management system contribute to quick start-up of the filtration process, reducing exhaust emissions to a minimum (which satisfies ULEV II and Euro 4 requirements). Variable camshaft timing and a variable intake system also contribute to efficient emission control and good drivability.

Compact, Powerful I6

A new, sophisticated and compact in-line 6-cylinder engine will also appear for the first time in a Volvo sedan in the all new Volvo S80. The new engine features an advanced induction system that contributes to both good performance and impressive fuel economy. Through innovative engineering, the compact engine can also be installed transversely in the all new S80 engine bay.

Despite its compact dimensions, the new engine has a larger displacement than its predecessor. The output of the new engine has also been improved, with 235-horsepower and 236 lb.-ft. of torque.

“The engine has been designed to be mated to the new Volvo 6-speed automatic transmission,” says Derek Crabb, Vice President Powertrain at Volvo Cars. “And the entire driveline has been developed in concert with the rest of the car to create a harmonious, refined driving experience in every respect.”

The engine features a range of technologies integrated to improve fuel efficiency and power delivery. Through an advanced valve train and a variable intake system, the engine can be exploited efficiently throughout the rev range, improving throttle response.

The valve train features Variable Cam Timing (VCT) and Cam Profile Switching (CPS) to control valve lift and duration on the inlet side – two key elements in providing the engine with excellent flexibility. CPS determines valve lift; the VCT system controls duration over a wide range of operation.

With CPS, the camshaft lifts the inlet valves to two different heights, depending on engine speed and load. In normal driving, with modest throttle openings and low engine revs, fuel consumption is moderate yet torque is sufficient to provide good drivability.

Two Engines In One

For more enthusiastic driving, which involves full throttle and high engine revs, the engine response is near instantaneous, providing a thrust of power at both low and at high engine speeds.

“In principle, Cam Profile Switching creates two engines in one,” explains Crabb. “We can unite widely differing demands on the engine, and easily meet the requirements of customers with entirely different wishes. For instance, we can satisfy customers who prioritize performance as well as those who are more interested in driving comfort and fuel economy with equal ease.”

A Variable Intake System (VIS) has been equipped with two throttle flap valves which adjust the intake manifold volume to suit the current driving situation. This results in a uniformly high and broad torque curve.

Like the V8 engine, the 6-cylinder engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with Geartronic sequential shifting, allowing the driver to change gears manually. All V8 engine variants in the United States will come with the Volvo All-Wheel-Drive feature as standard equipment. The I6 engine will have front-wheel drive as standard.

Narrower Is Safer

The engine compactness has been achieved by locating the ancillaries, such as the Power Assisted Steering Pump and Air Conditioning Compressor, behind the engine in the space above the gearbox. Consequently, there is no front-end drive of the ancillaries - instead, they are driven via gears by the rear end of the crankshaft. This engineering solution is known as READ – Rear End Ancillary Drive. The alternator is direct-driven and installed on the engine block. This solution means that the entire engine and transmission package takes up minimum space, particularly in the longitudinal direction of the car.

By designing the drive system in the form of a small gearbox with an intermediate shaft inside the driveshaft – known as a Shaft-in-Shaft design – it was possible to ensure a very short package. The two shafts are driven by different gears that give them different speeds (one speed for camshaft drive and one speed for the ancillaries). The new engine is less than 25 inches long – about the same length as the Volvo in-line 5-cylinder engine.

“It’s a particularly compact solution that is the result of highly-advanced development work,” says Crabb.

The compact nature of both engines, and their transverse mounting architecture, contributes to the safety of the all new S80. The smaller overall engine size has left engineers more room to design controlled deformation space in the case of a collision. “The fact that the engine’s design also helps enhance safety isn’t something the customer usually thinks about but it is naturally a key element in a Volvo product concept,” Crabb adds.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Comfort, Convenience

Steeped in Scandinavian sensibility, the new Volvo S80 luxury sedan offers a tasteful array of comfort and convenience systems designed to improve – rather than overwhelm – the experience for driver and passenger. Simplistic and intuitive controls direct a myriad of technologies including the world-class audio system, Bluetooth cellular phone connectivity, a new adaptive cruise control and an enhanced navigation system.

World-Class Audio

The new Volvo S80 is available with a choice of two audio system levels:

• High Performance

– 4x40 W amplifier

– Eight loudspeakers

– Auxiliary input jack

– CD player that accepts discs with MP3 or WMA media files

• Premium Sound

– 5x130 W digital amplifier

– Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround

– Up to 12 loudspeakers

– Auxiliary input jack

– CD player that accepts discs with MP3 or WMA media files

“This car offers excellent attributes for high-class sound reproduction,” says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars. “High-quality materials, a well-dimensioned interior and effective sound-damping material contribute to a particularly favourable audio environment. The Volvo audio systems are among the very best available in the automotive world.”

While both audio systems provide an enjoyable listening experience, it is the Premium Sound option that will immediately appeal to customers who are looking for a world-class audio system. Premium Sound features products from some of the most advanced audio manufacturers in the world. Controlled from the slim center stack, the audio stream first travels through Dolby Pro Logic II Surround sound processing. Now a staple technology in Volvo vehicles, Dolby Pro Logic II Surround distributes audio signals throughout the cabin to create a natural listening experience.

But prior to the audio stream reaching the loudspeakers, it must first pass through Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and Bang & Olufsen’s ICEPower technology housed inside the five efficient Alpine digital class-D amplifiers. While DSP adjusts the audio curve for a more authentic sound quality in an automobile, ICEPower cleans up the signal, correcting errors that naturally occur during audio amplification.

The sound is also adjusted automatically to suit driving conditions. Volume and tone are adjusted to match the car’s speed. The S80 menu system allows for three personal preferences that dictate how much the sound reacts to the driving conditions.

Finally, 12 Dynaudio loudspeakers are strategically placed throughout the cabin to immerse passengers in sound. Loudspeakers from the Danish speaker company have been a popular option in other Volvo models. “Volvo and Dynaudio both share the same uncompromising attitude toward audio quality,” explains Güllsdorf. “Together, we have acquired in-depth knowledge about the effect a car’s interior can have on sound. The result is truly high-class audio reproduction. That is why we’re placing the Dynaudio logo on the instrument panel of the all new Volvo S80. The system represents a crowning achievement for both our companies.”

“We are very proud of the audio experience we can offer in the all new Volvo S80,” says Güllsdorf. “It’s easy to forget that you’re actually in a car, and not in a concert hall.”

Bluetooth Wireless Hands-free

Courtesy of Bluetooth® technology, drivers and passengers will be able to use a cell phone – hands-free – in combination with the car’s loudspeakers. With a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, the driver will be able to make and receive calls, read SMS messages and access the phone directory without plugging the phone into the car. Bluetooth automatically recognizes the pocketed cell phone and wirelessly connects it to the hands-free system.

Adaptive Cruise Control

The Volvo S80 Adaptive Cruise Control system will not only help drivers maintain a safe distance to vehicles in front, it also serves as the platform for several other convenience systems. A radar sensor continuously measures the distance to vehicles ahead and automatically adjusts the speed of the S80 to maintain a safe distance. The driver activates the cruise control, setting the desired maximum speed - beginning at 20 mph - and chooses the minimum time interval to vehicles in front. There are five different time intervals from which to choose.

Collision Warning with Brake Support

The Collision Warning with Brake Support system works in concert with the Adaptive Cruise Control to help avoid rear-impact collisions or to minimize their effect.

If the S80 approaches another moving vehicle from the rear, and the S80 driver does not react, a red warning light flashes on the windscreen. At the same time, an audible signal can be heard. In certain situations, this is sufficient for the driver to react and avoid the hazard.

If the risk of a collision increases, despite the warning, Brake Support is activated. The brake pads move against the discs in anticipation of a hard stop. The brake pressure is also reinforced hydraulically, ensuring effective braking irrespective of the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

If the S80 driver brakes hard, the brake light area will increase to also include the rear fog lights to warn the drivers behind.

More – and Less – Information

Two previously announced driver information systems will also be available on the all new S80. The Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) uses cameras near the outside mirrors to detect cars that might be in a blind spot and relays that information to the driver. The Intelligent Driver Information System (IDIS) minimizes distracting information from the car’s other systems when it determines the driver is busy.

New Generation of Navigation System

The Volvo navigation system has been further refined in a number of ways. There is a wider range of maps, with now three DVD discs for North America (including Hawaii). The contents have also been updated with the latest roads, restaurants and hotels.

The system has been further enhanced with a new processor, which among other things makes for far faster route searching than before. New information such as the national flag and facts about the country, speed limits and rules governing phone use while driving all appear on the screen whenever you cross a national border.

“Convenient and functional systems give the Volvo S80 owner simpler, more comfortable travel,” says Güllsdorf. “And it is made all the more handy with large controls, easy to read displays and logical interfaces. These aren’t simply there for added comfort; ease of use also means added safety on the road.”
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Safety 4-12-06

In nearly every area of occupant safety – from highly sophisticated crash energy management in the chassis and new side impact air bags, to swiveling headlights and a new generation of support systems that help the driver make the right decisions – the all new Volvo S80 expands Volvo Car Corporation’s leadership in both preventative and protective safety.

Next Generation Safety

In the tradition of the first generation Volvo S80 luxury sedan that introduced innovations like the Inflatable Curtain (IC) head and upper body protection, and the ground-breaking Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS) seating, the second generation S80 is a showcase of Volvo safety research and development.

The long list of innovations in protective (passive) safety is impressive,…including sophisticated crash energy absorption systems in the structure, the next generation of WHIPS whiplash mitigation, new Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) side airbags with separate chambers to protect chest and hips, and new protection for pedestrians.

Protective Safety

“The next generation S80 features a patented advanced body structure, offering high torsional rigidity which very effectively contributes to impact energy absorption,” says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars.

The patented front body structure in the Volvo S80 has been divided into zones, each with a different task during the deformation process in a collision. The outer zones are responsible for most of the deformation. The closer the collision forces get to the passenger compartment, the less the material deforms.

The design of the drivetrain, including the transverse mounting of the engines and significant engineering to reduce the exterior dimensions of the engines and transmissions, has added additional deformation capacity in the engine compartment. “There is a great deal of creativity and advanced engine technology behind these solutions,” says Güllsdorf.

Improved Side Airbag

A new side airbag helps the patented Volvo Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) become even more effective. The new airbags have two separate chambers – one for the hips and one for the chest. As the hips can withstand greater forces than the chest, the lower chamber can be inflated to a pressure that is up to five times higher than in the upper chamber. The new side airbags interact with the Inflatable Curtains (IC) and the body’s structure to optimize protection. Both the sills and the B-pillars have been reinforced.

Improved WHIPS System

Rear impact protection is also enhanced. The groundbreaking WHIPS system in the S80 has been improved to provide better compliance and support for the head in the event of an impact.

Pedestrian Protection

Protection for pedestrians and cyclists was also a consideration in the design of the all new S80. The front of the car has energy-absorbing features, including a well-proportioned, soft structure in front of the bumper to mitigate the risk of leg injuries. The lower edge of the spoiler has been reinforced and moved forward, almost in line with the bumper, to distribute the impact, on a leg for example, over a greater area to reduce the risk of injury.

The shape of the hood has been raised and a honeycomb structure underneath distributes the load on impact, helping to absorb the forces and reduce the risks of injury.

Active Bi-Xenon Lights

To produce an optimal range of vision when driving in the dark on winding roads, Volvo Cars has introduced the Active Bi-Xenon Light – swivelling headlights that follow the bends in the road. Road situations are measured and analyzed using a mini-processor which then optimizes the lighting. The headlights can be swivelled up to 15 degrees in each direction, and have the capacity to illuminate a longer distance when the road is winding. To save wear on the system, this function is disconnected automatically in daylight.

The angle of the headlights adjusts to variables such as vehicle load, acceleration, and braking to help reduce the risk of blinding oncoming road users. The headlights are cleaned by means of an electro-mechanical, high-pressure system that washes one headlight at a time to offer the best possible illumination.

Personal Security -- the PCC

Improved personal security is also a high priority for many buyers, and the Personal Car Communicator (PCC) is a world first from Volvo Cars that will help address their concerns.

The new PCC is an advanced pocket-sized control module that both sends and received information from the car. In its personal security role, the PCC provides information which could be crucial to the security of the car owner. By simply pressing a button, the car owner can acquire information within a few seconds:

whether the car is locked or unlocked

whether the alarm is activated or not

whether there is someone in the car (which is determined using a highly sensitive heartbeat sensor and an advanced calculation process)

The information is accessible and relevant as long as the distance between the PCC and the car is within approximately 300 feet. The most recent information is stored in the module so that at any time and in any place a check can be made to see if the car was actually locked when it was parked.

“Personal security is one of the cornerstones of the Volvo safety profile,” says Güllsdorf. “It is about having your car left undisturbed and avoiding situations that could entail personal risk.”

Please note the PCC may not be available in some markets.

SIDEBAR

Other safety technologies in the all new Volvo S80

• A collapsible steering wheel, which during deformation is moved horizontally for the best possible interaction with the airbag

• Pedals with a collapse function

• Airbags with a dual-stage function

• Seatbelt pretensioners for all five seating positions

• Force limiters for the front seatbelts

• Reinforced, transversely mounted pipe between the A-pillars (contributes to side impact protection)

• Reinforced and rigid SIPS pipes in the seats and a deformable steel box in the center of the car

Optional Self Supporting Tires (run-flat) with tire pressure monitoring system

Highly advanced brake system with four key enhancements – Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA), Optimized Hydraulic Brakes (OHB), Ready Alert Brakes (RAB) and Fading Brake Support (FBS)

• Diagonally mounted crossmembers made of Ultra High Strength Steel in the doors
    SIDEBAR

Energy Absorption and Deformation

To give each zone the correct properties, the steel grades have been varied. Four different grades of steel are used. Apart from conventional bodywork steel, three different grades of high-strength steel are strategically placed: High Strength Steel, Extra High Strength Steel and Ultra High Strength Steel.

Low-speed deformation zone

The front bumper incorporates a rigid crossmember made of Ultra High-Strength Steel. The attachments to the body's longitudinal members are designed in the form of “crash boxes”. These help absorb the forces in a low-speed collision without damage to the other parts of the body structure.

High-speed deformation zone

Portions of the longitudinal chassis members are made of High-Strength Steel - very ductile steel that is optimized for high-energy absorption. This zone accounts for most of the deformation.

Back-up Zone

The section of the crossmember that turns outward towards the A-pillars act as a barrier to protect the passenger compartment, serving as a back-up to reduce deformation. The design also helps minimize the risk of the front wheel penetrating the passenger compartment. Instead, the wheel helps to absorb the collision forces. This section is very rigid and is made of Extra High-Strength Steel.

Three-way attachment

A rigid side member links the A-pillars and the lower side members so that they form an extremely rigid three-way attachment on each side. The design contributes significantly to protecting the passenger compartment in a serious collision.
    New York Auto Show - The Latest from Volvo

New Volvo XC90: Seen for the first time anywhere
    The 2007 Volvo XC90 will make its first appearance at the New York International Auto Show,…featuring a more car-like design, a restyled interior, an all-new Volvo 3.2-liter six-cylinder engine, and of course enhancements to the legendary Volvo safety.

The Volvo XC90 rolled onto the SUV scene in 2003 with a range of innovations previously unseen in the premium SUV segment. Now, four years later, Volvo Car Corporation is introducing an enhanced XC90 with its sights firmly set on taking the segment to the next level.

All-new Volvo S80: North American debut

The all-new Volvo S80, the flagship of the Volvo sedan line, is a completely new premium car with elegant styling, a long list of breakthrough safety technology, and two highly sophisticated new engine choices. The all-new S80 represents an exemplary driving experience – all packaged in an aura of ‘Scandinavian luxury.’

Volvo Car Corporation anticipates production of about 50,000 new S80 cars annually. North America will be the largest market.

Volvo Safety, with Children in Mind

For over 30 years, Volvo has developed child safety systems to help protect its littlest passengers – holding to the belief that safety protection should be for all occupants, regardless of size or age. While safety is paramount, Volvo also believes that keeping children comfortable is in the best interest of parents, as well as the children themselves. At the New York Auto Show, Volvo features its commitment to child safety with a dedicated, informative display. :D

All-new Volvo C70

Retail deliveries are just around the corner,…and the all-new Volvo C70 will also be on the New York Show stand. With its innovative three-piece retractable hardtop, the second generation C70 is a car that provides the customer with premium choices. With the top up, it's a sporty coupe with dramatic, head-turning style. With the top stowed below the rear deck, it's an open-air convertible that invites wind-in-the-hair fun and excitement.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Philosophy 4-12-06

The second generation of Volvo Car Corporation’s luxury S80 sedan has the dynamic driving properties, dramatic lines, personal comforts and advanced safety technologies expected from the Swedish company, along with a unique property that will set it apart in the market: Scandinavian luxury.

“We’re challenging the very best in the segment by offering refined Scandinavian luxury – in other words, clean and elegant lines combined with intelligent functionality. Every single detail has been designed with a firm focus on the user’s well-being,” says Fredrik Arp, president and chief executive officer of Volvo Cars.

‘Scandinavian luxury’, the company believes, is the opposite of traditional luxury. Rather than encouraging elitism based on cost and exclusivity, ‘Scandinavian luxury’ is a new, more human value derived from the combination of aesthetics and technology in a way that is inviting, intelligent and accessible. ‘Scandinavian luxury’ will appeal to individuals who value intelligent functionality and personal responsibility as well as aesthetics and prestige.

In the all new Volvo S80, ‘Scandinavian luxury’ marries the aesthetic appeal of the next generation of the Volvo design language with highly evolved technologies selected for the benefit or enjoyment they provide the owner, including world-class safety and concern for the environment. Every aspect of the next generation S80 has a benefit to the owner.

“We are convinced that we have a product that will win over many customers from our competitors. We expect that as much as 70 per cent of the average volume – 50,000 cars a year – will go to buyers who do not drive a Volvo today,” says Arp.

“It’s not about technical gadgetry and price,” adds Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director. “Instead, we approached the new S80 as a complete entity where highly advanced yet easy-to-use technical solutions provided occupants a comfortable, dynamic and safe driving experience.” There is no technology for technology’s sake, Güllsdorf concludes.
    NEW YORK AUTO SHOW: All-New Volvo S80 makes U.S. debut

NEW YORK (April 12, 2006) - The all-new Volvo S80, the flagship of the Volvo sedan line, is a completely new premium car with elegant styling, a long list of breakthrough safety technology, and two highly sophisticated new engine choices. The all-new S80 represents an exemplary driving experience – all packaged in an aura of ‘Scandinavian luxury.’

Volvo Car Corporation anticipates production of about 50,000 new S80 cars annually. North America will be the largest market.

Safety Innovations (Past and Present)

The first generation Volvo S80, the first car to achieve 5-star crash test ratings in the United States, pioneered such safety innovations as the Inflatable Curtain (IC) and Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS) seating.

The next generation S80 again raises the bar in safety. Innovations in passive safety include a new side airbag with dual chamber construction for enhanced hip and chest protection, clever structural design that uses four different grades of steel for predictable crash energy absorption, the next generation of WHIPS rear impact protection and new approaches to pedestrian safety.

Focus On Active Safety

Volvo has placed an emphasis on active safety. As a result, the all-new S80 introduces features such as: adaptive cruise control; advanced functions to help shorten braking distance; swiveling bi-Xenon headlights that follow the car’s steering; collision warning systems; and, a Personal Communicator remote car monitor - a world’s first.

Scandinavian Design (Outside and In)

In its outward appearance, the second generation Volvo S80 presents clean, elegant lines and a dynamic profile, with dimensions that are slightly wider and taller, yet retains approximately the same overall length as its predecessor at 191 inches. Its wheelbase is also longer and the track is wider.

The generous interior space includes a wide range of intelligently designed functions, an ultra-slim centre console, one of the world’s best audio systems and a strong Scandinavian influence where every detail has been meticulously designed according to form and function.

New Power Sources

The all new Volvo S80 will be the first Volvo sedan with a V8 engine, as well as the first sedan with the highly sophisticated new Volvo in-line 6-cylinder engine. Both are mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with Geartronic sequential shifting. All Volvo S80 V8s will be equipped with the electronically controlled Volvo All-Wheel-Drive feature, while the in-line six S80 will be standard front-wheel drive.

Dynamic Driving Characteristics

The highly refined ride and handling of the all-new Volvo S80 can be attributed to an extremely rigid chassis structure. Performance and the drive experience are enhanced by the available Four C active suspension, adjustable power steering, and a host of measures that help keep noise, vibration, harshness and road irregularities from intruding into the luxurious interior.

One of the Best Audio Sound Systems Available

The all-new Volvo S80 can be equipped with one of the best audio systems in the world: Volvo Premium Sound. A digital amplifier from Alpine with Bang & Olufsen PowerHouse ICEPower® technology, Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround and loudspeakers from Dynaudio® of Denmark create an audio experience of the acoustically purest form.

Inviting, Intelligent, Accessible

The all-new Volvo S80 integrates all of the technology and design features into a luxury car that is inviting, intelligent, and accessible. “We’re challenging the very best in the segment by offering refined Scandinavian luxury – in other words, clean and elegant lines combined with intelligent functionality. Every single detail has been designed with a firm focus on the user’s well-being,” says Fredrik Arp, president and chief executive officer of Volvo Cars.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Engines 4-12-06

Manufacturers that hope to succeed in the hyper-competitive premium segments of the market must provide their customers an ever-expanding array of features, but none is more crucial to success than the selection of powertrains. For the all new Volvo S80, Volvo Car Corporation is providing one of its most comprehensive engine line-ups with the company’s two newest engines headlining the car’s introduction in North America.

The new S80 will make its debut with a powerful V8 and sophisticated new in-line 6-cylinder engine beneath the graceful hood of the Volvo flagship sedan.

The First V8 Volvo Sedan

The all new Volvo S80 is the first Volvo sedan to be powered by the efficient, transverse-mounted V8 engine first introduced in the 2006 Volvo XC90. And sporting a curb weight differential of more than 1,000 lbs, the increased performance potential is obvious.

The unique design of a slim 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks makes the Volvo V8 an extremely streamlined engine, which also provides ample space for crumple zones – a Volvo safety imperative. In addition, by reversing the traditional offset of the cylinders and placing the left row ahead of the right, the engine has the optimum shape to fit the car’s body structure. A counter-rotating balance shaft reduces noise, vibration, and harshness.

Despite its relatively small size (4.4 liters), the V8 produces exemplary horsepower (311 bhp) and torque (325 lb./ft.), with exceptional drivability (273 lb./ft. of torque is available from 2000 rpm). With an extensive use of aluminum, the weight of the new engine is relatively quite low, which contributes to premium ride characteristics, handling and fuel economy.

Despite its high output, the first V8 to be fitted into a Volvo sedan is also among the cleanest V8s in the world. Four catalytic converters – two of which are positioned close to the engine – and a highly advanced engine management system contribute to quick start-up of the filtration process, reducing exhaust emissions to a minimum (which satisfies ULEV II and Euro 4 requirements). Variable camshaft timing and a variable intake system also contribute to efficient emission control and good drivability.

Compact, Powerful I6

A new, sophisticated and compact in-line 6-cylinder engine will also appear for the first time in a Volvo sedan in the all new Volvo S80. The new engine features an advanced induction system that contributes to both good performance and impressive fuel economy. Through innovative engineering, the compact engine can also be installed transversely in the all new S80 engine bay.

Despite its compact dimensions, the new engine has a larger displacement than its predecessor. The output of the new engine has also been improved, with 235-horsepower and 236 lb.-ft. of torque.

“The engine has been designed to be mated to the new Volvo 6-speed automatic transmission,” says Derek Crabb, Vice President Powertrain at Volvo Cars. “And the entire driveline has been developed in concert with the rest of the car to create a harmonious, refined driving experience in every respect.”

The engine features a range of technologies integrated to improve fuel efficiency and power delivery. Through an advanced valve train and a variable intake system, the engine can be exploited efficiently throughout the rev range, improving throttle response.

The valve train features Variable Cam Timing (VCT) and Cam Profile Switching (CPS) to control valve lift and duration on the inlet side – two key elements in providing the engine with excellent flexibility. CPS determines valve lift; the VCT system controls duration over a wide range of operation.

With CPS, the camshaft lifts the inlet valves to two different heights, depending on engine speed and load. In normal driving, with modest throttle openings and low engine revs, fuel consumption is moderate yet torque is sufficient to provide good drivability.

Two Engines In One

For more enthusiastic driving, which involves full throttle and high engine revs, the engine response is near instantaneous, providing a thrust of power at both low and at high engine speeds.

“In principle, Cam Profile Switching creates two engines in one,” explains Crabb. “We can unite widely differing demands on the engine, and easily meet the requirements of customers with entirely different wishes. For instance, we can satisfy customers who prioritize performance as well as those who are more interested in driving comfort and fuel economy with equal ease.”

A Variable Intake System (VIS) has been equipped with two throttle flap valves which adjust the intake manifold volume to suit the current driving situation. This results in a uniformly high and broad torque curve.

Like the V8 engine, the 6-cylinder engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with Geartronic sequential shifting, allowing the driver to change gears manually. All V8 engine variants in the United States will come with the Volvo All-Wheel-Drive feature as standard equipment. The I6 engine will have front-wheel drive as standard.

Narrower Is Safer

The engine compactness has been achieved by locating the ancillaries, such as the Power Assisted Steering Pump and Air Conditioning Compressor, behind the engine in the space above the gearbox. Consequently, there is no front-end drive of the ancillaries - instead, they are driven via gears by the rear end of the crankshaft. This engineering solution is known as READ – Rear End Ancillary Drive. The alternator is direct-driven and installed on the engine block. This solution means that the entire engine and transmission package takes up minimum space, particularly in the longitudinal direction of the car.

By designing the drive system in the form of a small gearbox with an intermediate shaft inside the driveshaft – known as a Shaft-in-Shaft design – it was possible to ensure a very short package. The two shafts are driven by different gears that give them different speeds (one speed for camshaft drive and one speed for the ancillaries). The new engine is less than 25 inches long – about the same length as the Volvo in-line 5-cylinder engine.

“It’s a particularly compact solution that is the result of highly-advanced development work,” says Crabb.

The compact nature of both engines, and their transverse mounting architecture, contributes to the safety of the all new S80. The smaller overall engine size has left engineers more room to design controlled deformation space in the case of a collision. “The fact that the engine’s design also helps enhance safety isn’t something the customer usually thinks about but it is naturally a key element in a Volvo product concept,” Crabb adds.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Chassis 4-12-06

The second generation Volvo S80 has been designed to provide a superior experience behind the wheel. To help meet that objective, the engineers and designers combined exceptional torsional rigidity, an electronically controlled ‘active suspension’, adjustable power steering, all-wheel-drive power delivery and a host of refinements into the flagship S80.

Volvo takes a holistic approach to Safety, and the Swedish automaker has applied a similarly intelligent integration of new technologies in making the new S80 such a joy to drive.

The prescription for the outstanding ride, handling and comfort of the 2007 Volvo S80 begins with its completely new structure, featuring a patented design that serves double duty delivering both safety and performance. The highly rigid structure provides the solid base from which the S80 suspension works. That same structure is integral to deliver an advanced crash energy management, which includes four types of steel working in a sophisticated interplay to help control the forces of a collision.

The chassis design has been developed to ensure even more stability, predictability and controlled characteristics on the road than its predecessor.

Next, the new S80 gets an enhanced version of the Volvo Four C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) ‘active’ suspension. This is an advanced self-adjusting system that uses sensors to continuously monitor the car’s behavior. The shock absorbers can adjust to a given driving situation in a mere fraction of a second. Four-C modifies the chassis setting to suit the car’s speed (the higher the speed - the greater the damping). As a result, the car remains controllable even at higher speeds.

This technology also reduces the car’s tendency to squat, dip or roll under firm acceleration, hard braking or quick steering maneuvers.

"The active chassis adds an extra dimension to the driving pleasure," says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars. "The driving properties improve whatever the situation. Progress is both safer and more entertaining."

The newest Four-C system ups the ante from the previous S80 model and now offers three alternative chassis settings instead of the previous two. The driver simply presses a button to alter the car’s personality to suit his or her personal tastes.

• Comfort makes for sedate progress with gentle, harmonious body movements

• Sport provides more controlled body movements, faster steering response and added road contact

• Advanced minimizes damper movement and maximizes contact between the tires and the surface of the road – a setting for enthusiastic driving on smooth tarmac.

All-Wheel-Drive also contributes to the S80 driving experience. The second generation of the latest Volvo all-wheel drive system with Instant Traction uses sophisticated electronic controls to distribute power between the front and rear wheels for optimum traction, road-holding and performance.

Speed-dependent power steering is also an option in the new Volvo S80. The system provides more power assistance at low speeds, for example, to make parking easier. The power assistance gradually declines as road speed increases, disappearing entirely at high cruising speeds.

In order to give all drivers an optimum feeling for the road, the steering servo assistance can now be adjusted by way of the car’s information and set-up system. Power steering assistance can be set at one of three levels.

DSTC (Dynamic Safety and Traction Control) is fitted as standard in the all new Volvo S80 versions. DSTC is an electronic stability system, first introduced on the original S80, which reduces the engine's torque and applies suitable braking force to help reduce the risk of a skid, when necessary.

To assist from a standing start on an uphill gradient, V8 versions of the all new Volvo S80 are equipped with an intelligent electronically operated Power Parking Brake. This makes takeoffs far easier for the driver. If the parking brake is engaged at a stop light, for instance, it is automatically released as the car moves off. S80 cars without Power Parking Brake have a pedal-operated parking brake.

The entire car, not just the driveline, has been refined and honed to provide a driving experience of absolute premium calibre. "Each one of these systems contributes to both safer driving and greater driving pleasure," says project director Güllsdorf. "The systems working in concert in the all new Volvo S80 offer a particularly refined driving experience, whatever the driving conditions."
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Design 4-12-06

The elegant styling and dynamic profile of the second generation Volvo S80 is not merely influenced by Scandinavian design, it is a unique and timely interpretation of luxury as seen from a Scandinavian point of view.

The Exterior

The first generation Volvo S80 helped establish the modern era of Volvo design language. The all new S80 expands on the heritage. The entire front end of the 2007 S80 is gently rounded, without pronounced corners. The hood also possesses a more emphasized curvature, with a higher profile which provides added pedestrian protection. The headlamps are positioned lower than in the previous S80 and follow the curvature of the front, stretching onto the side and up towards the hood.

The doors are also more rounded. The previous inward curve of the door panels has been replaced with a convex, more powerful profile. At the same time, the haunches are both higher and broader, reinforcing the solid nature of the car's design. The sills have a more pronounced profile that visually lowers the car and gives it a stable, self-assured stance.

The more pronounced sweeping lines of the all new Volvo S80, present an aura of elegance and a sensation of agile motion. The tapered shape is accentuated with the gently rounded front sloping glass that transfers from the rear window to the trunk panel almost imperceptibly. The abruptly vertical tail creates a sensation of speed.

The look is further emphasized by the parallel profiles on the hood and the far-reaching clearly marked roof line, which fashions two parallel lines. The elegantly flowing lines are also complemented by the C-pillars, producing a visually slimmer appearance. The rear side windows, with chromed trim molding, are now framed by the rear doors.

“Although the all new Volvo S80 is an entirely new car from interior and exterior design to engine and new technology, it is important that it is easily identifiable - a Volvo,” says Volvo Cars design director Steve Mattin. “That is why we have emphasized many of those elements that help create the special Volvo character.”

The iconic diagonal bar along the vertical radiator grille, with the Volvo logo very much in evidence, has been even further enlarged to feature it more prominently. The trademark V-shape of the hood has been extended all the way to the front spoiler. The tail lamps echo the design of other cars in the Volvo product range, but their shape has been refined to create a somewhat lower profile, following the broader shoulder line. From the rear view, the LED lights at the top of the lamp units are easily identifiable as the new Volvo S80 at great distances, in the dark.

The all new Volvo S80 is the same overall length as its predecessor at 191 inches, but it is both slightly wider and taller. Its wheelbase is also longer and the track is wider. All told, these dimensions make for a more impressive stance and a greater presence on the road.

The Interior

The interior of the all new Volvo S80 reflects the elegant and luxurious exterior. Characterized by clean surfaces, congruous lines, exciting contrasts and smooth function, the new S80 epitomizes tradition of Scandinavian design.

The sweeping lines of the exterior are echoed in the car’s interior. As with the exterior, the accented contours are really two parallel lines that create a pronounced edge or profile. The same design language is found again in the door panels. Another consistent theme inside the car is the rectangular shape with rounded corners that characterizes free-standing functions such as the ignition lock and air vents. Every detail has been meticulously designed in form and function and is optimally positioned to provide an ergonomic and comfortable driver’s environment - an important prerequisite for safe, alert yet relaxed, driving.

The modern super-slim center console - first introduced in the Volvo S40 and V50 models - is one of the most striking visual attributes. In the new S80, the center console has been tailored to suit the more classic interior design. As a centrepiece of the passenger cabin, the console extends to the rear seat and hosts a number of smart functions for storage and connectivity to accessories, such as an iPod or electric cooling box.

Volvo front seats are regarded by many as the best on the market. They are designed to offer the best possible support and comfort, even on long trips. Available power seats can now be specified with perforated and ventilated leather upholstery. The ventilated seats are equipped with fans in the seat cushion and backrest. The temperature of the seat is quickly adjusted to a pleasant level, contributing to a high degree of comfort, particularly on hot days and in damp climates.

The opposite function – heating -- is available in the front as well as the rear seats and can be adjusted to any one of three temperature settings. Extended legroom in both front and rear seats of the new S80 surpasses the interior space of its predecessor. And, thanks to a thicker, hardened side glass which contributes to excellent sound damping, the interior space is luxuriously quiet.
    The All-New Volvo S80 - Comfort, Convenience 4-12-06

Steeped in Scandinavian sensibility, the new Volvo S80 luxury sedan offers a tasteful array of comfort and convenience systems designed to improve – rather than overwhelm – the experience for driver and passenger. Simplistic and intuitive controls direct a myriad of technologies including the world-class audio system, Bluetooth cellular phone connectivity, a new adaptive cruise control and an enhanced navigation system.

World-class Audio

The new Volvo S80 is available with a choice of two audio system levels:

• High Performance

4x40 W amplifier

Eight loudspeakers

Auxiliary input jack
    CD player that accepts discs with MP3 or WMA media files

• Premium Sound

5x130 W digital amplifier

Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround

Up to 12 loudspeakers

Auxiliary input jack

CD player that accepts discs with MP3 or WMA media files

“This car offers excellent attributes for high-class sound reproduction,” says Silvia Güllsdorf, S80 Project Director at Volvo Cars. “High-quality materials, a well-dimensioned interior and effective sound-damping material contribute to a particularly favourable audio environment. The Volvo audio systems are among the very best available in the automotive world.”

While both audio systems provide an enjoyable listening experience, it is the Premium Sound option that will immediately appeal to customers who are looking for a world-class audio system. Premium Sound features products from some of the most advanced audio manufacturers in the world. Controlled from the slim center stack, the audio stream first travels through Dolby Pro Logic II Surround sound processing. Now a staple technology in Volvo vehicles, Dolby Pro Logic II Surround distributes audio signals throughout the cabin to create a natural listening experience.

But prior to the audio stream reaching the loudspeakers, it must first pass through Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and Bang & Olufsen’s ICEPower technology housed inside the five efficient Alpine digital class-D amplifiers. While DSP adjusts the audio curve for a more authentic sound quality in an automobile, ICEPower cleans up the signal, correcting errors that naturally occur during audio amplification.

The sound is also adjusted automatically to suit driving conditions. Volume and tone are adjusted to match the car’s speed. The S80 menu system allows for three personal preferences that dictate how much the sound reacts to the driving conditions.

Finally, 12 Dynaudio loudspeakers are strategically placed throughout the cabin to immerse passengers in sound. Loudspeakers from the Danish speaker company have been a popular option in other Volvo models. “Volvo and Dynaudio both share the same uncompromising attitude toward audio quality,” explains Güllsdorf. “Together, we have acquired in-depth knowledge about the effect a car’s interior can have on sound. The result is truly high-class audio reproduction. That is why we’re placing the Dynaudio logo on the instrument panel of the all new Volvo S80. The system represents a crowning achievement for both our companies.”

“We are very proud of the audio experience we can offer in the all new Volvo S80,” says Güllsdorf. “It’s easy to forget that you’re actually in a car, and not in a concert hall.”

Bluetooth Wireless Hands-free

Courtesy of Bluetooth® technology, drivers and passengers will be able to use a cell phone – hands-free – in combination with the car’s loudspeakers. With a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, the driver will be able to make and receive calls, read SMS messages and access the phone directory without plugging the phone into the car. Bluetooth automatically recognizes the pocketed cell phone and wirelessly connects it to the hands-free system.

Adaptive Cruise Control

The Volvo S80 Adaptive Cruise Control system will not only help drivers maintain a safe distance to vehicles in front, it also serves as the platform for several other convenience systems. A radar sensor continuously measures the distance to vehicles ahead and automatically adjusts the speed of the S80 to maintain a safe distance. The driver activates the cruise control, setting the desired maximum speed - beginning at 20 mph - and chooses the minimum time interval to vehicles in front. There are five different time intervals from which to choose.

Collision Warning with Brake Support

The Collision Warning with Brake Support system works in concert with the Adaptive Cruise Control to help avoid rear-impact collisions or to minimize their effect.

If the S80 approaches another moving vehicle from the rear, and the S80 driver does not react, a red warning light flashes on the windscreen. At the same time, an audible signal can be heard. In certain situations, this is sufficient for the driver to react and avoid the hazard.

If the risk of a collision increases, despite the warning, Brake Support is activated. The brake pads move against the discs in anticipation of a hard stop. The brake pressure is also reinforced hydraulically, ensuring effective braking irrespective of the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

If the S80 driver brakes hard, the brake light area will increase to also include the rear fog lights to warn the drivers behind.

More – and Less – Information

Two previously announced driver information systems will also be available on the all new S80. The Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) uses cameras near the outside mirrors to detect cars that might be in a blind spot and relays that information to the driver. The Intelligent Driver Information System (IDIS) minimizes distracting information from the car’s other systems when it determines the driver is busy.

New Generation of Navigation System

The Volvo navigation system has been further refined in a number of ways. There is a wider range of maps, with now three DVD discs for North America (including Hawaii). The contents have also been updated with the latest roads, restaurants and hotels.

The system has been further enhanced with a new processor, which among other things makes for far faster route searching than before. New information such as the national flag and facts about the country, speed limits and rules governing phone use while driving all appear on the screen whenever you cross a national border.

“Convenient and functional systems give the Volvo S80 owner simpler, more comfortable travel,” says Güllsdorf. “And it is made all the more handy with large controls, easy to read displays and logical interfaces. These aren’t simply there for added comfort; ease of use also means added safety on the road.”
    Volvo. for life ;)

:shades:

Rocky
    BTW does Saab still put the ignition switch on the center console? I always liked that. I miss the coupe.

Yep on every vehicle including the 9-7x SUV ;)

Rocky
    rockylee,

Ohmygosh, you are SO sold on the benefits and features of the new Volvo S-80, please buy one, maybe buy a fleet. And if your experience with Volvos is like mine (and my sister's) you should savor the experience of talking with other Volvo owners... as you visit the Volvo dealership time after time with service related issues!!! Again my experience (and many others I know with Volvos) is that you can't argue with the features and benefits (heck, they supposedly even invented the 3 point seat belt for cars), but that has to be balanced with the high maintenance requirements. And everytime I would go to the dealership, they would lecture me on doing more preventive maintenance (the 30K service programs are about $800 each). These are my experiences- $2K-$3K per year maintenance per year (after warranty expires). And my friends that have Acuras, Lexuses, and other nice Asian makes rarely have those complaints. But go for it, you may be luckier than I was!!!
    I do appreciate your advice pal, honestly. I value everyones opinion. ;)

You are making me very cautious about Volvo. I need that. I see a great car on the outside and since I never owned one I can't speak for you former and current owners, and will listen with open ears. If I buy a Scandinavian vehicle, it will probaably be a Saab, since it's a GM product and I'm comfortable with doing buisness with GM + I get a good employee discount. ;)

I do love this car alot bud. I'm pretty sure it will be priced way out of my reach, since I do seriously doubt they will be commanding sticker. :surprise:

But hey, I can like and not buy. :cry: If I was very well off, I'd be the first to chance all those expensive repairs to own a marvelous machine as it appears. Trust me I will atleast go look at em' this fall and see how much one would cost to own this fall. After I get sticker shock from the V-8's price, I'll be going over to the Cadillac and Saab dealerships, where I can afford to own a nice vehicle and not have to saw off my arm and leg :D

Well thank-you for the advice lweiss, and right now it's wishful thinking on my part. OTOH- I'm luckily going to run into a little bit of change within the next month and if I gotta have one, then I will have to decide if I want to pull the lever when that times come. :surprise:

Rocky
    My service complaints are echoed by the Consumer Reports kind of negative ratings about Volvo reliability- not as bad as VW and some Mercedes models (!!!) but still not that great. I sometimes think that Volvo and the other European makes do not have horrible maintenance issues, but they are being compared to the Lexus/Infinity/Acura cars, which have definitely set a new standard. And for me anyway, good engineering and design have to be balanced with the hassle (and cost) of maintenance issues. It almost killed the American car companies.
    Well when you told me a 30K service bill costs $800 bucks, even if your domestic car was out of warranty, the repair is likely not going to equal what a service visit at the Volvo dealer will cost ya. :surprise:

Rocky
    If you do wind up buying the Volvo/Saab, my advice would be to get the extended warranty from the dealer or find an independent service facility that you trust. I followed a friend's recommendation and there is place I go to now (only does Volvos and Saabs) and I trust them completely. And the people running also tell me that the cars are sound, will last a long time (without rattles or bigtime deterioration), but the servicing will be frequent and the parts expensive. But cheaper than a new car for me at this point. So until it really starts getting bad, I won't start again with the high depreciation of something new. By the way, I've heard that Volvo S-80 models have pretty high rates of depreciation, which might be an opportunity to buy a year or two old model at big savings.
    That's true. ;)

Rocky
    or, if it fits your financial situation, lease one for 3 yrs, then it stays within the warranty and any problems are not on your nickel.

Well a mid $50's car with no discount won't be exactly cheap. :( I'll probably stiick with the premium brands from GM, since they are more in line with my budget. ;)

Rocky
    Didn't one of ya'll baught a 06' right ?

Rocky
    yep, we got an 06 S40 T5 last August and love it. Quick enough to get in trouble, great looking , loaded with features for the $$ and comfortable. Got a great deal as well.

Birkenstocks Not Required: Volvo Releases Details on 2007 S60 That's "Sportier in Every Respect"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=114975

Rocky
    For the record:
    Volvo was never going to discontinue the S60.
    Also, the diesel and CNG engines won't be coming to the US.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    If you're following the factory-recommended maintenance, on the first-generation S80, it's basically oil changes every 7500, pollen filter every 15,000, air filter every 37,500, and brake fluid every 2 years. I don't remember about the spark plugs or timing belt, but they are not due at 30k. ATF is lifetime or 52,500 miles if under severe service. In any case, no way a 30k service package should cost $800 unless you need brakes and rotors all around.