Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs 2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    From what I remember, it was those interested in the TL that started comparing it to the Camry (maybe to save a little money?). I couldn't care less. The TL was never on my list (it wouldn't make me feel any better). I may consider a Lexus (I don't need the ultimate driving machine to make me feel good).
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I honestly don't see any resemblance between
    the TL and the Accord, except for maybe the
    air condition vents! TL is much, much better
    looking than the Accord. Not to knock the
    Accord; it also has a very nice interior,
    but the exterior is boring.
    I've been looking at the brochures on the
    Lexus ES and I do see a lot of similarities
    between the Lexus and the Toyota. But I like
    the Lexus better. Yes, it's more expensive,
    but I think it blends everything together
    much better and looks better. Again, the
    Camry is much improved from the previous
    generation, but I've got to say, the
    current Lexus ES is definitely getting my
    attention, whereas I've always turned my
    nose up at this car before, due to, once
    again, boring styling, not sporty enough.
    Times are-a-changin'!
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Not to be rude, but if you have no interest in TL what are you doing on this thread? Have you ever driven or sat in the TL, if it was never on your list? Sounds like you are biased towards Toyota/Lexus products, nothing wrong with that.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I see your point, but if you enjoy driving Maxima then you will not appreciate ES350. :D
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's a good question. The reason why I scan this thread is because the Camry discussion group brings me here. Since I am interested in the new 2007 Camry, I browse any site that has "2007 Camry" in the title. I hope to obtain valuable information and what others are experiencing. I will post occasionlly (I probably shouldn't after having a couple beers or shots of whiskey). Apparent problems with the transmission in "Camry Woes" has already made me think twice about buying at this time. No, have never driven the TL (I'm sure it's good choice for some). Finally I am a little biased towards Toyota. Their vehicles have given me and my family many trouble free miles since 1984.

Peter.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Well, maybe Camry owners fell better by comparing their car to TL. I guess it makes them feel better that they can say TL and Camry in the same sentence. It’s a shame on you TL owners who got into this tarp.

I come form a family that has had more Acura vehicles than Toyota (not to mention a father in law in Acura sales/management for 15+ years). I was going to buy a TL (an A-Spec, actually). I drove the new Camry and decided the money savings was worth the performance (handling) sacrifice since I wouldn't be able to make significant use of the TL advantage. I wanted an A-Spec because I like things that aren't being driven by every one else in the world. Sort of ironic, since I ended up buying a Camry which is one of the best selling (quantity) cars in the world. Hopefully, my color/option/trim combo will be rare (relatively speaking). Now I am using the thousands I saved to do some things around the house.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    what's NOT a "dressup": e.g., cannot dress a FWD to become a RWD.

what's a "dressup":
    1. take the same engine/transmission/suspension/chasis/...
    2. modify a bit whereever needed (size, power, badge, etc., so that marketing can fool the less knowledged)
    3. must put a better interior

there! make it $3000 better and you can sell $7000 more, business 101. Not to cry foul here, samething happens everywhere, some just want the niche and will pay for it. Fair game when both buyers and sellers are happy.

In the end though, a dressup is still a dressup. camry/ES/accord/tl => FWD midsize sedan.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Wow! Looks like a cut and paste from the TSB list! Sorry to hear that your TL had every known, reported problem that ever existed for the vehicle.

Fortunately, for me, my car only has a "faded" dash and my tires flat spot in the morning. Other than that, the TL is one great ride.

Good luck with your next purchase.
    "SE v6 just create an interesting situation, where a camry cross the bridge being as fast, almost as sporty, more comfortable, and cheaper to boot, leave tl with barely more than a badge to defend."

Really? Correct me if I am wrong but the Camry SE does not come in a 6MT right? Although both are FWD, the 6MT has a certain "fun factor" to it, something the Toyo cannot offer, at least for now....

There is also standard equipment in the TL that is not even offered in the Camry i.e. superb sound system, xenon lights, dual zone a/c w/ climate control, homelink, faux wood interior, controls on sterring wheel, power driver and passenger seats w/ memory seating & sliding sunroof/moonroof. Forgive me if I missed something here, but this list leaves the TL with alot more over the Camry SE than just a badge....IMHO.
    laurasdada,

Thanks for clarifying Tedescm1's post. Makes alot more sense. ;)
  • jbl8jbl8 Member Posts: 40
    It is all about price! To me, the real price for Acura TL is about $30K. I heard people in the forum talking about Camry SE V6 around $28K (maybe dealer giving out misleading information). If that's the case, I don't mind pay another $2K to get a Acura TL. I never drive the TL. But the Camry just feel like Honda Accord. I did not see the values here. If the Camry SE V6 is around $24K. That probably make sense. But I guess the price will drop, and no need for the TL vs Camry comparison anymore. :confuse:
  • ipon70ipon70 Member Posts: 13
    Me and the wife just bought a 2007 Camry so obviously we liked it better then the others we looked at.
    We test drove the VW Passat, Honda Accord, Acura TSX,TL, Nissan Maxima, Chrysler 300.

Since this thread is only about the Acura and the Camry I will stick to those two.

We took both machines on the same test drive, which was a freeway test, and a back road test between Ashland and Medford. A turning test in a parking lot for steering and a break test on a gravel road.

Both cars did well on the gravel brake test doing what they could at not sliding on the rocks.

The backroad test revealed that the TL seems to have a stiffer ride and a bit twichy on bumpy roads with corners and pot holes. I also own a mod'd Mustang that rides kind of like that, I guess on the "sport" side its good, going for more of a luxury feel, we didn't like it.

Freeway test was close the camry is a lot quieter on the inside then the tl again, not a lot but it was quieter.

Freeway test 2 was passing, we came up on a car at 80 mph and then punched it, the camry promtly dropped gears and took off upto 110mph before we backed off and went around. The TL also promptly dropped gears but just didn't have much left to gain speed.

Parking test, we took it to the same parking lot drove the wrong way up the parking section (slanted parking stalls) and then make a turn to park right next to another car. The camry made the turn into the stall perfect, the tl crossed over the next slot, we tried that 3 times, couldn't hit it.

I don't think you can go wrong with any other them, you are going to get one of the best built auto's in the world. This was just my experience.
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    I'd tend to agree that the TL isn't a direct competitor to the Camry SE... for the extra price and upmarket name... Toyota's Lexus IS 250/350 or Infiniti's G35 would be the direct competitor. Just a thought.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think the Camry SE is closer to the TL - (VS the LE, XLE, CE)

The big strike against the Camry was the weak AC system. We drove 4 different Camry's all had the same weak AC. The TL blows ICE cubes.

If the Camry SE would have had a better AC it would have been hard to pass it up.

I bought the TL so I don't have anything against Acura (or Honda) - but do not see the Acura brand as anything special (as in upscale).
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "The big strike against the Camry was the weak AC system. We drove 4 different Camry's all had the same weak AC."

Interesting to hear that. My 2005 SE-V6 also has what I would call a weak AC system. Doesn't get nearly as cold as my wife's Highlander. Takes quite a long time to cool the car down on a hot day.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Bought a Mazda3 back in January 2004 - the AC is very weak - as a result all this - I am very aware of weak AC.

We test drove on a very hot day - but it took 15-20 minutes before the car even started to cool off - since many of our trips are short - a quick cold AC is a must - I live in Houston.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    List prices, without dealing anywhere yet, Camry SE V6 optioned up before tax is $36,945, (after tax $43,452). The TL is $44,088 before tax, so a $7000 premium. I've driven the SE V6, great engine, not so convinced about the front stack design, and maybe I'm to self concious to drive a Camry yet. I'm trading a RSX, so appearences do matter. Interesting results on the black book value site, when I plugged in my RSX details and compared the TL ans Camry with same year and kms...
    2003 RSX 39,000 km = $17,700 to $19,550
    2003 TL 39,000 km = $14,650 to $16,900
    2003 Camry SE V6 39,000 km = $14,700 to $16,000
    So my RSX holds it's value better than either the TL or Camry. I paid $27,000 for it.
    Anyway, I'm off to test the TL this week, along with the G35 and IS350
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Drove the type S as well yesterday, here are my thoughts on the 3 cars I drove (car would be for my wife);
    SE
    Engine, great grunt, great sound!
    Interior, imo decent dash, ugly front stack, which in the dark lights up in this horrible pale blue, what's wrong with red, orange or dark blue? Also the plastic fake chrome looks very cheap
    Driving experience, Good, transmission seemed to kick down propmptly when floored

TL auto
    Engine, Doesn't feel and sound quite as powerful as the Camry but seems to get up to speed quickly
    Interior, Great looking dash, nice front stack, feels like quality
    Driving experience, Good, handled very well

TL type s auto
    Engine, Sounds and feels like the most powerful of the 3, virtually launches itself when you put the pedal down
    Interior, Great looking dash, nice looking guages, too bad you have to take the navigation package in the type S
    Driving experience, Good, handled very well, not sure how often I'd use the paddle shifters

The type S of course looks the best, they've done a nice job with the quad exhausts, grill work and gauges. The type S didn't feel like it was going to ride much harder than the regular TL, both felt more forgiving than the RSX we are trading. Slight wonder on the reliability and maintanance of the type s vs regular TL. Don't need a navi package but have to take it in the type S.
    The Camry motor feels great, but that front stack just jars me, not sure if I could live with it.
    Put the TL interior in the Camry and then you'd have an under the radar, well priced sports sedan!!
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    The TL is an aging sedan (as well as the TSX). You're comparing a 2007 model to basically a 2004 model (the base TL). When Acura does their redo of the TL (and the Accord/TSX) try your comparo again.
  • jane111jane111 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 95 CE camry with 212,000 mile and is drive hundred miles a day on freeway. This camry hasn't given me any problems really. Wondering if the acura TL can be run into the ground like the camry without man vehicle issues? What do you think, which car will will last lonest without nickel and diming?

thanks
    Nick
  • el_chupacabrael_chupacabra Member Posts: 17
    yes it can Nick...the reliability on a TL is great plus the exterior and interior are much better then the Camry ..if your not on a budget swoop up a TL
  • gingerfiregingerfire Member Posts: 1
    I found a lot of humor in so many of these comments. I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX (V6, leather), and the 2007 TL is just like it. I could barely tell that I was driving a different car, except for the navigation screen! I first considered the TL because I still love driving my Honda (190k miles), and a friend who works at the dealership said I would have to move into the Acura line to get the same quality as my 1995 Accord. I subsequently heard the TL was called the European Accord or something.

But the Camry Hybrid caught my attention. Both cars provided what I needed (reliability) and some of what I wanted (navigation, heated seats, etc.) within the same purchase price range that I thought appropriate. But by my estimates I would save about $8000 over 6 years going with the Camry Hybrid due to reduced fuel costs, the tax credit, and the slightly lower purchase price (MSRP for the Camry).

Acura vs. Toyota isn't an issue for me. But I prefer the drive, power, looks, and navigation goodies of the TL. Is it worth $8000 to me? I haven't made up my mind. But I really understand why the cars are being compared by certain types of buyers.
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    I bought a new 06 Accord EX V6 NAV in may 06. In aug 06 I traded it in on a new 06 TL. BIG DIFFERENCE in EVERY way!!!! No comparison. Unless you drive like a grandpa! I just Traded the 06 TL in on a 07 TL Type S. A HUGH difference from the 06 TL!!! But I drive very aggressive!!! Jeff from Northern IL. :):):):):)
    ginger,

So the 170hp Accord w/ 165lbs of torque felt the same to you as a 258hp TL w/233 lbs of torque?

IMHO the interior between the 1995 accord and TL are vastly different.

The TSX is the European Accord not the TL.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    He said V6 Accord which I think sports 240 hp which is pretty much inline with the TL'S 258 HP.
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    I bought a new 06 Honda Accord EX V6 NAV Auto. I traded it in on an 06 TL. Even though they say 18 h.p. diff. It feels much more powerful!!! :) I now own a 2007 TL Type S which blows away my 06 TL. I have bought 3 new cars since May 06. I am finally where I will stay for at least 3 years. :):)
    Nope. For the 95 MY Accord V6 it sported a 2.7liter, 170hp engine.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    The new generation Camry is a great looking car, but really does not compete with the TL-S. Maybe the XLE does compete with the standard TL.
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    The Accord is the competitor for the Camry...the ES350 is sort of a competitor for the TL
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    the xle is very nice, leather seats and all. But it's a different class, true.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Acura TL, but I find that the hands-free link is yet another half-baked feature on the car. After working with my Nokia 2165 for months, it suddenly quit. The phone is recognized, and will dial, but no voice. A trip to the dealer taught me that the system is only guaranteed to work with the very small handfull of APPROVED phones. Otherwise, it may not work at all, work partly or may quit after some time. There are hardly phones from the last century on the approved list, and you can see that nearly all of them work only PARTLY with the sytem! You can check this for yourself at www.handsfreelink.com.

I am FURIOUS about this. My company develops electronic products, including wireless, and it is clear that the Acura engineers didn't do a very good job designing the system to make it meet all the Bluetooth compatibility requirements. I can go out and buy ANY $20 hands free headset or 3rd party handfree kit and it will work immediately with ANY Bluetooth phone I may have - but NOT this $35K car unit! Thanks ACURA.

SO - if your phone is not working properly with the car, check the list - it is probably not on it. This is a BIG oversight on the part of Acura engineering.

FYI one of the other half-baked features is the so-called "surround sound" system. It ONLY works with DTS audio DVDs, so it has no effect on your CDs and the XM stereo. The algorithm to convert 2-channel stereo to surround is included FREE with the DTS license, but Acura decided NOT to install it. Why? Who knows. I only know that I am not going to replace all my CDs with DVDs, so the feature is as USELESS as the handsfree system.

Just a heads-up for your consideration. I doubt that Toyota would release such systems that PARTLY work.
    If you think you have problems- 07 Camry owners/lessees have their hands full with transmission issues.

If I had to choose between the two- the nod goes to the TL.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    To be accurate..'.. some owners/lessees have...'

With 400,000+ of these on the roads it is not as pervasive as many would have you believe from reading on the forums. If you count the very vocal posters here ( who I am certain do have signigicant issues ) it's less than 100 certainly.

My wife and I just purchased a new Solara to replace her MR2. I will be monitoring it for any hesitation because the 'old' technology of the 5 Spd with the 3.3L was also DBW and potentially susceptible to it. My feeling from driving the Highlander ( same technology ) is that we will make it accustomed to our driving and vice versa.
    kd- good point. Not all Camry owners are experiencing the hesitation/transmission issue.

Then again, not everyone has problems pairing their phones to the BT in the TL either.

My nod still goes to the TL. ;)
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Im sure my post is alittle late but its still 100% honest.
    I just purchased an 07 Camry LE V6 with the 6 sp. auto.
    I had the chance to buy an 04 TL with Nav but it had 50K miles. Now I now thats not really high but in Pittsburgh it is very hard. Lotsa hills, potholes etc. I ended with the camry and am kicking myself for not getting the TL. I will have one in a year or 2.
  • justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    The title of your post is misleading.

Why the change of heart so soon after just purchasing the Camry?

What did you not like about the Camry that a test drive didn't reveal?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I realize this is an old post but there is something you don't know.

Most cars with bluetooth have only a select few phones they will work 100% with. The Land Rovers I sell are like this and although they have gotten better every year there are still problems. The used BMWs that have bluetooth are the same way. Hey go try a mercedes with hands free phone service and good luck getting it to work with more then a couple of phones.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    He was responding to this post that is why it looks misleading...

automophile, "Acura TL vs 2007 Toyota Camry" #139, 11 Jan 2007 1:30 pm#138
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I just don't understand this type of comparo, as these two cars have distinctively different personalities. Why don't we compare the TL with the Sequoia? :confuse:
  • vlapintavlapinta Member Posts: 23
    Everyone has their opinions but as far as comparing Camry to Accord, I did just that and chose the Camry. I test drove both and though they drove similar to me the XLE V6 Camry definately looked beter inside and out. Maybe the 08 Accord might give the Camry a run for the money but in my opinion the 07 Camry was much nicer and I could have gotten the Accord for at least $2,000 less.

Vicki
    TL vs Camry isn't that much diff from Accord vs Camry. Yes TL/Camry are in quite diff gift wrap, but not much diff underneath -> put in a stiffer suspension, diff sheet metal, bingo, here u go.
    Sorry it took long to reply. YES I replied to another post and thats why my 'title' is misleading. I also know that the TL is an entry level Luxo sport car NOT the Camry. THAT is a family car. I am having issues that cant show up in a test drive unless I get a 30 day test drive like Saturn used to do, thats NOT gonna happen. I feel that the ddriver power seat is just way too soft, like sitting on a bean bag chair or that its stuffed with cotton balls{exaggeration but still, the idea is there}
    The Camry has tons of positives, quiet, great MPGs, roomy,
    the ENGINE is amazing BUT it is in direct contradiction to the suspension, its like they said "Lets stuff a fast, SPORTY engine but screw the suspension, it still needs to ride like a Buick or Bonneville} THe skid pad ratings on a regular Camry are .01 % better than a CR-V. WOW, thats scary ;)
    I know its "Buyer Beware" ANd I wish I didnt fall for the Motor Trends Car of the year BS and wish I read up HERE b4 purchase.
    At least I bought this and not leased so when a yr or 2 pass, I can get out of it and into a used HOPEFULY better TL.
  • justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    My misunderstanding on the title comment.

I agree with you on the Camry front seats = uncomfortable.

I also agree with the ride = soft, but as a family sedan, I don't think it was meant to throw around, and never was in prior model years(I had owned a 89 V6 5 speed Camry, and kept it for 10 years).

Now, as for the engine and trany problems with the V6, it's very scary to drop that kind of money on a "reliable" vehicle and be disappointed; Toyota needed to step up to the plate very quickly and rectify the major troubles with their products.

I have crossed off (at least for this model year) the Toyota and the Lexus products.

I have yet to take an Acura out for a drive, but the Accord was quite a bit noisier than the Camry.
    I test drove an 07 Accord LX maybe, special edition. It had very nice tight steering almost too tight{heavy} for city driving. The cloth seats also werent great BUT the leather package is much more padded. I read a few yrs ago, maybe here at Edmunds, that Honda {also most other manufacturers} add more padding to a leather seat than the cloth. I really wish I bookmarked that because Honda never admitted that when I had probloems with my CR-V or Accord.
    I can maybe just lose 30-40 pounds :P
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2007 Camry V6. My wife has a 2007 Acura TL. They are both excellent cars. I find the biggest difference is in dealer service. I get sick to my stomach every time I take my Camry in for service. The dealers are arrogant, and the work never done correctly. The Acura dealers are courteous, and have fixed problems Toyota would just laugh off. I enjoy both cars but will stick with Acura for their fine service.
    Aren't you confusing the dealers with the cars? bring your Camry to lexus, then Camry becomes better than TL because of service?
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    Can I take my Camry to a Lexus dealer for service???????
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ;) It'll cost you a bundle but why not? It's the same basic vehicle as an ES..
  • bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    Camry is NOT in the same class as TL. You should compare Accord with Camary and compare TL with Lexus IS/ES. Dont compare apple to orange. It's wishful thinking.

Well, ES is the same car as Camry but with more luxury features.

TL and IS are sportier and are in the same class.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    TL and IS are sportier and are in the same class.

I sorta disagree. At 6'4" the differences are REALLY apparent. The IS feels like a subcompact (I couldn't be comfortable in that car), while the TL is more the size of a 5-series BMW.
This discussion has been closed.