Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs 2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• cyclonemikecyclonemike Member Posts: 10
    I had a chance to drive the SE-V6 today (as well as the Maxima SE) and it does have much better handling and performance than the XLE. With a TMV price as I would want it equipped being $2200 more than the Accord and $3300 less than the Maxima SE, and $4,500 less than the Acura TL the decision will be more difficult now.

I still think the Accord EXV6 had the best handling, but it also had the roughest ride (no surprise). Just comparing my values of ride versus handling I would rank the cars as follows:

1. Acura TL - 3rd best handling - 2nd best ride
    2. Nissan Maxima SE - 2nd best handling - 3nd best ride
    3. Honda Accord EXV6 - best handling - worst ride
    4. Toyota Camry SEV6 - worst handling - best ride

They all pretty much come out as a tie in handling versus ride category. I still really like the Acura the best, but is it $6700 better than the Accord, $4500 better than the Camry, and $1200 better than the Maxima?

I am also not a big fan of the "ground effects" look of the Camry SE - call me a boring engineer!

I do wish they would offer some of the XLE options on the SE (dual climate control for one), or just give me an option of the suspension and handling of the SE on the XLE.

Thanks!

Mike
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    As I'm currently driving a 2002 Maxima SE,
    it still remains a car of interest to me
    along with the TL and the Camry, although
    the Camry would be way down the list for me
    right now because you can't get Xenons on it.
    I'm interested in seeing the interior on the
    2007 Maxima. They're supposed to be
    redesigning the dash and the instruments and
    a minor freshening on the nose. The interior
    is the one problem I'm not too crazy about
    on the current Maxima. I know a lot of
    people are very divided on the exterior
    styling on the current Maxima, but gosh-darn,
    every time I see that car coming down the
    road, I think it looks pretty darned good!
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    I still don't understand the hang up on Xenons. I have seen OEM halogens/projector lamps that are as good and/or better than OEM Xenon HID.

Even CR rated some of the halogens on the market as providing better visibility than HID, not to mention without blinding your fellow driver.

Plus, for about $300, you can swap some MTEC 4500k HID's into the Camry with little effort.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    I think it looks pretty darned good

Wow! You think that big plastic blob in the Maxima's grill makes it look good? I think it makes it look cheap.

A guy in my town has an aftermarket grill on his 05 Maxima that looks a hundred times better than the stock mistake.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    The timing belt shouldn't be more than $500 tops. I replaced 4 on Toyotas and Honda/Acuras and never had a bill over $500. Several were $300-400.

New TLs can be had for $30k-32k if you're a patience shopper. I don't know what kind of premium you will pay with a 07 Camry over invoice, but it will sell for more of a premium because of the new design. You will still have a difference, but it may be narrower than $4k that you stated.

Premium fuel is a real issue, although you can use regular in the TL. The mpg may be slightly less, but not a dramatic difference. That's strictly a personal choice.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    link title

Actually people do buy the TL based upon looks because there are many reliable vehicles with a sport/performance emphasis to choose from. Some have more emphasis on luxury while others push the performance side. The deciding factor for many people is the looks. Or I should say the opening factor is looks because most people don't go very far in the process if the looks don't appeal to them.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    4bearhug Thanks for the thoughts.
    I have an 01 TL which needed to have the tranny replaced at 103K. While it was in I also had the timing belt replaced. The bill was $995. Then again, here in NJ everything seems to be more expensive.
    I use regular fuel in my TL since the prices went nuts, and I don't notice any real difference. I didn't know that could be done with the newer TLs. Thanks for the Info.

pt
    Yes, I have to say I am spoiled having driven
    with the xenons for four years. Every time
    I drive a rental for trips or drive other
    family member's cars that don't have them, I
    really can tell a difference. Also, I rented
    a Murano for a trip to South Florida to visit
    family last month. It was a base one, so no
    xenons. I was missing the xenon's from my
    Maxima.
    As I stated in Post #56, the Maxima will be
    receiving a refresh on the front grill and the
    interior dash layout. But, hey, you know, I'm
    sure I'm probably in the minority on my
    opinion about the current Maxima's front grill
    but that has not been the drawback on this car
    for me. It's the interior that I'm not too
    fond of. The interior is where it seems
    Nissan took some cost-cutting measures. I'm
    interested to see how the refresh looks.
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2003 Camry SE and a 2006 Acura TL. I hate taking the Camry in for service. When I take the Acura in for service its a different story. Acura goes out of their way when it comes to service. In buying a car this is an important issue to me. Toyota has always given me so so service. Not wishing to start any fights you can't compare a Camry to a TL. The TL is all quality.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    If you think taking your TL (Acura) for service is a treat, try Lexus.
    I would agree (based on experience) that generally speaking you will get a higher level of customer service at Acura, but my local Toyota dealer is top notch, and makes me feel the same as my Volvo dealer did when I took my S80 in (which was all the time :sick: ).
  • animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    I agree. Acura service treats you very good .. But lexus will treat you royally. It is a different experience all together
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, I can tell you from years of reading these discussions that is entirely dealer-dependent. People's experiences with both vary widely. ;)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That goes without saying, but generalizations can be made that one can expect, on average, better customer service experience at any given Acura dealership than at a Toyota dealership. One could then use JD Power studies to back that up.....

~alpha
  • barroncbarronc Member Posts: 44
    I have say the 2007 Camry with V-6 is one quick car, no doubt about it. The XLE model ran a 14.6 1/4 mile run.
  • supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    Even the fuel efficient 07'Camry Hybrid did 1/4 mile in 15.6 sec. Not too shabby!

Also, 07'Camry SE V6: 0-60 mph in 6.1 sec!

Source: Road&Track
  • 07camryse07camryse Member Posts: 25
    I owned an 02 SE Max,, loved that car... Hated to sell it,, every car I test drove I compared to my max.

The 06 Maxs though looked good, I felt they car was too heavy. My 02 was quicker than the 06's and 05 Maximas I tested.

06 Accord EX V6,, was simply too slow off the line for me.

06 A3, I liked this car alot... Might would have bought one if the gas and break pedal was not so close. My shoe would hit both petals at times.

06 2.0T Jetta,, liked this car alot. No complaints really,,just was not sure on resale..

06 3.5 Altima,, loved this car. Felt like my 02 max. Loved the low end take off power. Did NOT like the rear end. And felt silly going from a Max to an altima??

07 XLE v6 Camry, nice car,, but floaty for me.

06 Rav V6 Great all around car,, would have bought one if I found one with the options I liked.... But I was a little short of leg room...

07 SE V6 This car blew me away,, take off power, passing power, responsive shifting, handling, ride, JBL stereo, perforated leather, sunroof, and good looking in SE trim. Bought it,, though it's in the shop for transmission problems :cry:

Driving an rental 06 Cadillac CTS v6 right now,, it has two toned leather, sun roof, XM sat radio... It's a pretty car, but NOTHING compared to my Camry. The SE Camry rides better, handles better, BLOWS away the caddy in power, and the JBL sounds at least 3 times as good.
  • eseireseir Member Posts: 26
    Yes, but you can't drive the car because it has transmission problems. A brand new Camry with transmission problems? I think any car would be better than one at the shop. THis is exactly why you do not buy a first year model. Perhaps wait until the car has been out 8 to 9 months. Th TL is a much more refined car. I agree with the poster who said, for an extra $4000, you get the extra year warranty and powertrain included. Extra fixtures, the cache, and yes you still get the fine residual that these japanese cars have been known for. I think the Camry is fine a car. It is worth its mid $20's price tag, but if I have to step into the high $20's, you might as well get a loaded TL ($30,900 through my local internet manager) or even a base Lexus ES350, which can be had for $31,500 -$32,000. WIth that said, yes, I would buy a Camry V6, but not because I thnk that it compares to a TL or a Lexus, but because as of now it is the nicest car midsized car (entry level) moeny can have. The Accords compares well but I think it is 4 years behind in looks and it doesn't do anything for me.
    Yeah a lot of it comes down to price,, it's what you get for your money. $30,900 price makes the TL sound better.. Though a loaded SE V6 will save you about 4k. I have not driven the new TL, drove several of the older style 3.2s and was not impressed. (Liked the torque on my 02 max better; my max was even quicker than the TL's in the S trim.) But my neighbor does have one of the new TL's. I do love the looks, and from the numbers I have read the new TL looks to be quick car; I would have considered one,, but the closest Acura dealer is over 60 miles so warranty work is an issue on a new car purchase.

Toyota has offered to buy the car back if I wish,, but I can not find something I like better for the price... Not sure at this point what I will do.. But I will say regardless,, once Toyota gets these kinks worked out,, the 07 Camry is going to be hard to beat in it's price point. I actually "sort of" like the car a tad better than a G35. (Ok maybe I am stretching a bit far there,,, G35 sure is a looker and do love the G35's power.)

Think about this,, name another 14.5 (or better) qrt mile car that gets 22 and 32 MPG. Not to mention has 4 doors and one of the best sounding (in JBL form) stereos I have ever heard.
    the bottonline is that Toyota has done a great job with the Camrys. Unfortunely, the dealers are not discounting the car which means that you are paying top dollar for it. I went to drive an SE and I can tell you that they wanted close to $30K for a loaded SE. To me that is not value. A Camry for tah much money is not what I would spend for that car, especially knowing that in a few months from now, the car might sell for below or lose to invoice. The Tl has been out for close to three years and is currently selling a little below invoice. I am not comparing the 0 to 60 numbers because the truth of the matter a lesser priced vehicle might do even better. The TL is in a different league. Right now, based on what some dealers are chargind, the TL is a more compelling buy. Even teh Infiniti G35, which is its last year of body style can be had for $30K, which again makes it a better buy. Once the Camry comes down in price to where it was intended to be, I think that indeed it will take some buyers away from the TL and THe G35. Those buyers will be the ones that were streching themselves to get into the next league the Camry was really not cutting it.
    This is so true about the '02 Max. I'm
    leasing mine and my lease will be ending
    soon. Of the cars I've owned ('88 RX-7,
    '95 Nissan Altima, '99 Nissan Pathfinder,
    the '02 Max has been the most enjoyable and
    so reliable. All I've done in four years and
    60,000 miles was put new tires, new front
    brakes and regular oil changes. That being
    said though, the Acura TL is tops on my wish
    list right now. I'm liking a lot of things
    about this car.

The Maxima is still on my wish list also due
    to my positive experience with the '02 Max
    and I also had great luck with the other
    vehicles that I mentioned above that I have
    driven in the past 18 plus years. The only
    negative in regard to the Maxima that I'm
    wondering about is the fact that apparently
    the 2007 Max is getting a drop in hp down
    to 255 hp's (Same as '02 Max!) with a CVT
    tranny. This bothers me somewhat because
    the 2007 Altima is supposed to get more hp
    than the 2007 Maxima. That's a shame because
    from the looks of the interior and some
    exterior freshening, the car might be a
    winner otherwise. How is the 2007 Max going
    to compete against the Avalon which has 280
    hp's as opposed to 255 on the Max? Plus,
    this is going to make the Altima and the
    Maxima basically "new" model cars due to the
    switch to CVT trannies. I try to stay away
    from first year model cars. Gives them a
    chance to work out the kinks.

I don't mean to drag this letter on too long
    but I also have been eyeing the 2006 Jetta
    2.0T or the GLI. My main hesitancy with that
    car is VW's reliability and it's still a
    little small for my taste. Who knows? If I
    can't get a good deal on a TL, I may end up
    with an Altima, if it ends up being the best
    choice over the Maxima. We'll see. Stay
    tuned.
    Funny we are looking at the same cars coming from 02 max..

I have owned 3 SE Max, 90 stick, 95 stick, 02 auto.

Was an 3 Nissan car/truck family till recently (bought two Toyota's), but still have our 96 Pathfinder 4x4 w/locker. (going to keep it till it dies, great for runs to the river.)

07 Max: I not sure if the 07 HP drop is due to CVT limits; or just the new SAE testing standards?

Jetta 2.0T or GLI. I did like that car,, it's a tad smaller. But so fun to drive, and priced well. It's not quite as snappy off the line as I prefer, but it's no slouch. And I really love that DSG transmission. Love how it has the sport mode. Tip if you drive one,, stick in in S. Really wakes up the car as it keeps the turbo spinning.

One good thing I will add on the 06 altima,, I have long legs, and the I was more comfortable in the Altima than any car I have ever driven. (the extra long telescoping steering relay did the trick)
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I have a new tl and it rides like a truck. It also has many rattles. I would take the toyota.
  • kod33kod33 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a crack from a Toyota salesman. FYI, check out the new Camry forums - major problems right out of the gate for the 2007. Looks like the recent slip in the JD Powers Initial Quality Survey is a sign of things to come.

Don't be a TL hater - anyone who says their new TL "rides like a truck" has never stepped foot in any Acura - and probably doesn't deserve to, either. Go play in the Toyota sandbox.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The TL takes no sales from the Camry.. But the Camry will take sales from the TL. Think about it.
  • dhgdhg Member Posts: 9
    "Unfortunely, the dealers are not discounting the car which means that you are paying top dollar for it. I went to drive an SE and I can tell you that they wanted close to $30K for a loaded SE."

eseir, What are you talking about? Just look at the forum on prices paid 2007 Camry, people are paying as low as $100-200 dollars over invoice. Shop around.I was one of them, it was not that hard, I just picked up the phone and called around, talk to the fleet/internet manager of course.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    I have a new tl and it rides very nicely. And handles very well, too. It also has no rattles (it did have one, when the sunroof was in the "vent" position. Fixed at the dealer/warranty). I would test drive all the cars that fit your needs/wants/desires, if possible speak to actual owners (don't believe everything you read on the 'net...) and decide which is #1 on your list. Then begin negotiating to buy that car.

If one feels that the TL rides like a truck, their prior car must have been an old Buick or Caddy. And, why would one buy a car if they feel it rides like a truck? Why not just buy a truck? :surprise:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Slip in JDP IQS was due to the change in ratings criteria. Among individual models, Toyota/Lexus still won 11 of 19 categories. And, both the Lexus and Toyota nameplates, at #2 and #4 overall, finished ahead of Honda and Acura (at 6th and a tie for 10th).

What major Camry problems are you citing? The 6A issue has been thoroughly discussed and nearly all of the onwers who have posted here have feel they have been treated fairly in resolution of the Snap Ring issue.

~alpha
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    I test drove the '07 amry and the TL. I was coming from an '01 BMW 330i. The Camry drove well, was quick, had good interior and trunk room and then.... It was just a CAMRY. The interior was horrible to look at. You could not get dual climate control in the SE model and the interior was HORRIBLE. Said that already. Drove the TL and RL. Liked both but the TL was sportier, interior was nicer IMO and i could get a 6 speed. I would have to go to a 4 cylinder in the SE to get a manual. Ended up with an '06 TL 6 speed with navi and couldn't be happier. When i took my wife by the dealerships to see the cars I was considering(she doesn't really drive my car but I wanted her opinion) she didn't even want to sit in the Camry. Was not impressed one bit and believe me she is not high maintenance. If you want a very sport, fun to drive and good looking interior and exterior get an Acura. Get the Camry if you want more rear leg room, bigger trunk and enjoy light blue dash knobs.
    $100 below invoice? Are you kiddng. You can't find a loaded V6 Se here in S. Florida. You have to order one. Most dealers do not have any V6s sitting in their lots and yes they are asking premium prices for them. A lodaed SE is pricing close to MSRP or $30K. Even at $28.5, I would buy a TL for a couple thousand dollars more. Longer warranty and nicer car overall. The quality of the materials are comparible to a BMW or a LExus. Once the Camry comes down to its usual pricing, then I might consider it if I only wanted to spend $25,000 for a car. It is a nice car, but the interior does not compare to an Acura or an entry level Midsize car. I am not sure toyota is interested in having the Camry compete against their ES350. I think the Lexus ES350 will be the one loosing sales to the new Camry. It always has. Lets face. It is a Camry. They have done a nice job with the new redesign, I think that it will take sales from all their competitors because it is a new. But like of us have said, once the new Altima and Accord hit the road, the Camry will not be the new king any more. It will just a Camry. That is always the case.
    I respectfully disagree on several points.

1) I paid $600 over invoice ($28,800) for my loaded SE V6 with Body kit, Navigation, XM Radio, Leather, Sunroof, Bluetooth, JBL Audio, Remote Start, etc...

2) The interior is as nice as a TL and the ride/handling/acceleration is on par as well. The dash materials may be slightly sub par in some opinions, but the difference is not worth $5k for a discounted TL w/Nav. To be a true apples to apples comparison you would need an A-Spec since the SE gets the body kit, different wheels, and sport susupension. Now you are easliy above $35k discounted meaning you are now $7k more than what I paid.

To summarize (and has been said several times) they may not be equals in all categories (mostly subjective ones) but definitely worth considering a cross shop like I did. I guarantee that Toyota didn't intend on the comparisons, but as one hwo was about to sign papers on the TL, I am happy to save several thousand for a badge.

To address the disparate warranties....you can buy the Toyota factory Platinum plan to extend the bumper to bumper with $0 dedcutible out to 7yr/84000 miles for under $1k meaning you can blow away the TL warranty and still save $6k.

Cheers!
    It is still a Camry. The interior of the Camry does not compare in quality to the TL. The performance of the Camry (SE V6) does not compare to the Tl (especially the handling). The ride of the Camry does not compare to the TL. Is the Camry a nice car? Absolutely. Is it a great Car? Absolutely. Will it take sales from the TL? Absolutely. It will take sales from everyone, but more so from the Lexus ES350. It is a different ride period. I think Toyota did a nice job with the Camry, but the TL is entry level premium car versus a "dress up" Camry. I think everyoen will agree. A Camry can be bought for less than $20K (and there will be plenty of those on the road!), but a new TL goes for 30K in up. Basically everyone can have access to a Camry, but not everyone can have access to a TL or even a LExus
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Lets put it this way, if the rumors of the next TL are true, nobody will come close to the premium value of the next TL. ;)

I'm not sure how someone can mention Camry and TL in the same breath :confuse:

Rocky
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Buyers of the V6 SE Camry who have driven both can do so. Their opinions are every bit as valid as yours, :D
    It is still a Camry. The interior of the Camry does not compare in quality to the TL. The performance of the Camry (SE V6) does not compare to the Tl (especially the handling). The ride of the Camry does not compare to the TL. Is the Camry a nice car? Absolutely. Is it a great Car? Absolutely. Will it take sales from the TL? Absolutely. It will take sales from everyone, but more so from the Lexus ES350. It is a different ride period. I think Toyota did a nice job with the Camry, but the TL is entry level premium car versus a "dress up" Camry. I think everyoen will agree. A Camry can be bought for less than $20K (and there will be plenty of those on the road!), but a new TL goes for 30K in up. Basically everyone can have access to a Camry, but not everyone can have access to a TL or even a LExus

Lets use objective measured facts to debunk your statement:

Road and Track road tests:
    March 2006, Page 81:
    2007 Camry SE V6
    0-60 6.1
    1/4 Mile: 14.5 @ 99.9 mph
    Slalom: 63.6 mph
    Lateral: .83g
    Braking 60-0: 127'

2004 Acura TL (no performance change in current model)
    0-60: 6.3
    1/4 Mile: 14.8 @96.6 mph
    Slalom: 65.8 mph
    Lateral: .87g
    Braking 60-0: 124'

Straight line edge to Camry, slight handling and craking edge to TL. I would argue that the advantages in either would not be percieveable to the majority of drives, therefore a performance comparison is most definitely viable. The new SE V6 is not just a Camry in terms of the general perception of a Camry. A loaded SE V6 (to the point of being a feature equal to the TL) is not in the reach of all (MSRP over $30k) but is still several thousand less than a comparably equipped and performing TL.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I personally would not spend 30K on a Camry-who would?

I have nothing against the car but to layout thirty big ones on a Camry would be absurd in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong- I like the car, as matter of fact I own a 1994 (first new car straight out of college)but it just does not make any sense to buy it at 30K- save up a few more thousand and get the Avalon.
    I spent $32k MSRP (actually paid under $28k) on my Camry. The Avalon is a boat in comparison, and doesn't drive like my Camry (sporty) and doesn't look as good as my Camry (sporty). As I have stated before, I was ready to sign the papers on my TL when I saw and drove the Camry. It wasn't a hard decision to save several thousand, regardless of my multi-year love affair with the Acura.

The car rides like a truck...and it also rattles...

I do own one of these things and here is a list of all the quality problems i've had with this poor excuse for a quality car:

ØDefective passenger’s leather seat …the seat was replaced
    Ø Current …premature wear on the drivers seat
    Ø Antifreeze smell in passengers compartment for the first 4 months of ownership …{when using the heater}…could not find problem
    Ø Harmonic vibration (characteristic of the car) in drive train (Long term consequence of vibrations are not known… Acura installed vibration damper in Sept 05 to cover up the problem, but the vibration is still there and not fixed
    Ø Poor Tires …Acura told me “they did not make the tires”- may contribute to vibration problem ..tires were replaced at 3k miles… Acura scratched all four of my chrome wheels when changing tires.
    Ø Defective transmission that was recalled (TSB) (2nd gear …teeth can break from overheating and freeze tranny
    Ø The car’s headliner was falling down … Acura ordered and installed a new one after three visits and complaints…
    Ø Blotchy and discolored dashboard …Multiple complaints…

Defective passengers door panel … replaced in Sept 05.
    Ø Creaks and rattles in the cabin when going over bumps…particularly when its cold out
    Ø Defective memory computer unit for the drivers seat…they replaced the computer unit that controls the seats.
    Ø Rattles from glove box (I had to buy and install foam strips to stop the rattles)
    Ø Broken windshield washer (blew fuse)……..
    Ø The fuse box in my car, does not have a schematic…all other tl’s do! (The service man told me to consult the manual)
    Ø Temperature gauge is not accurate…..replaced but it’s still inaccurate (off by about 7 degrees)

Yea...i'd buy another one of these... :lemon:
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    just as es350 a dressup camry. tl owners tend to be more in denial for some reason. not to say es350/tl not good cars. worth the premium? certainly to some. not in the same breath? cut the car apart and see the similarity.

one toward sporty feel one toward luxury feel. SE v6 just create an interesting situation, where a camry cross the bridge being as fast, almost as sporty, more comfortable, and cheaper to boot, leave tl with barely more than a badge to defend. tl was cross shop with accord EXV6, now just one more competitor from the other side.

at the end, they are just 20-30K cars, those "not in the same breath" denial crack me up.
  • mexoxmexox Member Posts: 2
    cecil,
    I have to agree with you on the interior of the camry. I was looking into getting the 07 XLE v6 but the diarrhea yellow wood trim sickened me. Who is their decorator? The color scheme is all wrong. The center control cluster...OMG!!! what were they thinking!!!
    Again, The Camry has alway had a great reputation for being a a grat car. Toyota makes a great product. THese car has always been sold at a discount. They have done a great job in redesigning the car and I think it looks great on the outside. Perhaps, the front part might be questionable (IMHO), but the interior does not compare to a TL or an ES thus the price difference. A brand New TL without Nav can be bought for about $30,500 whereas a loaded SE or a similar feautured SE is being sold for $28,000. For the price, I will take a TL anyday because I think it offer more and yes more value. The service at Acura is better than at Toyota. You will get the PRemium service a better warranty and a nicer interior (outside is subjective) than an SE (by far). Now, is the TL a better car. Not necessarily, but I have to say that the TL is best $30K in marketplace today. Once, the new Altima and Accord come out, these SEs will be selling at a discount. Right now there is absolutely nothing to think about. But once the SE comes down to the $25,000 range, then there will be plenty to think about, because there will be a larger difference. I see many people saying that their Camry is just a cheaper LExus. Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The tl's interior (and exterior) are better than the Camry, but the TL’s plagued with rattles and other noises (creaks) distractions that really ruin the experience.

I'd rather have a lesser interior that was free of rattles.

not to mention all the other problems and vibrations.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    What I think tedescm1 is really saying is:
    "The tl's interior (and exterior) are better than the Camry, but MY TL’s plagued with rattles and other noises (creaks) distractions that really ruin the experience.

I'd rather have a lesser interior that was free of rattles.

not to mention all the other problems and vibrations MY TL HAS EXPERIENCED."

My '05 TL has no "Harmonic Vibration" and the one rattle when the sunroof was in the vent position was taken care of at service (replaced the wind deflector). My leather after almost 18 months still looks great, a few wrinkles, but the leather in the Evil Wife's Lexus has 'em too! My dash did "fade," was restored by dealer and has "faded" again.

I very much enjoy my TL and would recommend it to anyone to consider when shopping. Father, brother and neighbor love their TLs, too. Acutally, they're becomming too common!

Tedescm1, unfortunately, got an early build :lemon: :(

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    You absolutely right about ES it’s identical to Camry, Accord and TL on the other hand is not. I’m not a TL owner, so I don’t have bias towards any of those vehicles. I’m not going to change your mind but will give you few exaples to think about.

TL vs Accord.

1. Share the same platform, however chases size is different both length and width. If it was not published by Honda, nobody would notice. Just like Infiniti M35 derived form the same platform as G35.

2. The powertrain is different, even though the engines have the same structure, the size is different 3.2 vs 3.0.

3. Exterior is totally different, front, back, especial the side. Bottom line, TL looks like Accord just like it looks like Camry. The only resemblance is the hood.

4. Interior has better quality materials and totally different layout. Some of the switches are the same, so I got to give you that. Accord does have outstanding interior also, but as a hole it dos not looks like TL’s.

TL might share some parts like fuses with Accord, but who care about that?

Camry vs ES

1. The same platform, same size same everything.

2. The same engine.

3. Exterior was changed a bit Front and back, the side of the care is exactly the same. You can take a door of ES and put it on Camry.

5. Interior is more luxurious in ES and it also look different, but some of the switches are the same.

Under the skin ES is exactly the same as Camry, everything is shared from fuse to the engine and chases.

Who’s in denial now? I’m not even going to performance as TL will live both Accord and Camry in the dust. And I’m not referring to 0-60 numbers, if you interested in that get a Charger.

Don’t get me wrong, Camry is the best selling BOAT in the country.
    Looks like you got yourself a lemon. The bed news for you is that the chance of getting another one in Camry is about the same as in another TL. Probably less chance in TL as you already happened to get oneJ I bet you should be able to find yourself an online friend with lemon Camry and share the experiences. Lemon issues aside, TL is still a better car by a mile.
    You must know that performance numbers are very sensitive to the truck conditions. Unless the test was done on the same day or at least the air temperature and the track temperature was similar, the results cannot be compared. But even if you look at the numbers you posted TL clearly out handled Camry , over 2 MPH is a huge difference in slalom. TL has a clear advantage in handling and I don’t need to look at the numbers to know it, just drive both cars. With that said, not everyone out there are the same, I for one can not tell the difference between the best and the worst audio system. For those who can not tell the difference in handling and refinement between Camry and TL, Camry is the better choice, nothing wrong with that. I know you might argue that you can tell the difference but that just proves my argument, audio system example.

The numbers you posted for Camry are the best I have seen anywhere; TL tested by CD ran 0-60 in 5.9 sec. Also, TL is a 3 year old model and it’s way above brand new Camry.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Drove the SE the other day. Interior definitely seemed cheap compared to the TL. It's definitely a step down from the TL. The TL was designed to be a sporty car and that's what its design reflects. The Camry SE is basically a compromise between the standard Camry design with a bit of sporty stuff (suspension, etc) added almost as an afterthought. If you want a sporty car, get the car that was designed for that purpose from the ground up, not one that's basically a mid-size family sedan with the sporty equipment tacked on. The SE lacks a purity of purpose that the TL possesses.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Just the fact that many are comparing the new Camry to the TL is a compliment to the ..................TL. Joking aside, why are people comparing these 2 vehicles? Many may want to deny it, but just the fact they are, indicates that Toyota must have done something right. Incidentaly, the TL does look like a dressed up Accord. Just my opinion.

Make no mistake, it is all about sales. And, Honda is going to do everything it can to outdo Toyota. One final question. How many of you actually race these vehicles to their full potential? There must be a few race car wantabies out there (scary). I'll take quiet and serene any day. Judging by recent Toyota and Lexus sales, that seems to be what the majority of buyers are looking for.
    Well, maybe Camry owners fell better by comparing their car to TL. I guess it makes them feel better that they can say TL and Camry in the same sentence. It’s a shame on you TL owners who got into this tarp.

TL is the best selling car in the segment

BMW owner.
This discussion has been closed.