Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Climate Control

1234568»

Comments

• chevyman170chevyman170 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know the name of the gear or part that switches the defroster to vent and so on it knocks every time i start my truck, and wont allow the heater to switch to vent from defroster or any of them just blows out the defroster vent. it knocks behind my gage cluster wear its also located.can anyone help? I have a 2003 silverado 1500 4.8L thanks Mike
  • furrowjockyfurrowjocky Member Posts: 14
    My problem with with heat distribution is still not solved. Have heard from other owners in my community, one with a 2011 silverado, one with a 2011 yukon XL, having same problem. We discussed that unless temperature is around 0 degrees or below the problem isn't as noticeable. So vehicles sold in middle of US or in the south are not aware of problem. Apparently the system was engineered this way, not enough air velocity to floor vents and too much to defrost vents on windshield and side windows, when selector is on dual mode. On the silverado, Bell Motors in Cut Bank MT told the owner to bring it in and they would re- program the heater. I told Bennett Motors in GT. Falls about this, and the had no idea that this was possible. It will be interesting to see if Bell Motors can solve problem.
  • rickievrickiev Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 V-6 Sierra
    When I drive my truck with the recirculation button light on and my A/C button light off, I hear my A/C compressor turning off? Also when my truck is warming up in the morning in heat mode I will hear the auxiliary fans turning on and off?
    If I turn the recirculation button off ( light is off) then no compressor no auxiliary fans are kicking in? I was under the impression I could have the the recirculating switch on and the fan control on any setting and would only be circulating the cab air?

Thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The compressor will definitely come on if you're using the defroster, as the compressor and evaporator work to dry the air - otherwise, moist air will freeze on the inside of the windshield once it's turned off. Check your owner's manual to see if the defroster is automatically activated below certain external temperatures upon first-start./warmup.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • swalker88hdswalker88hd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Silverado 4X4 Crew cab. During warm up first thing in the morning with the truck is at or about 210 degress the climate blows cold until I start driving and then blows hot air. Also at temperature stopped at traffic lights/stop signs and at iddle the climate control blows cold air, while driving I have heat.
    Further info... recent tune up less than 3500 miles, out of warranty, current mileage 87,050, 2nd owner of truck I bought it 2007 at a dealer.
    Any help would be great. I would kind of like a idea before I spend too much for mechanic's diagnosis of the complete front end. No offense to any wrenches...
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I understand that you are looking to gather any options before paying for a diagnosis. We can check to see if there are any open recalls or anything on your vehicle for you if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • reteilsreteils Member Posts: 1
    I too am having unresolved intermittent dual climate control trouble with my 2004 Silverado. Last time in the dealership they said there was a TSB released for this problem. I've been looking for it on the web but I cannot find it. If someone has it I would appreciate a copy. Thanks. 
  • todd65todd65 Member Posts: 1
    This reply is for reteils on post #363. the info you are asking for is NHTSA #10012173/ TSB #040138008. I have replaced my instrument cluster and heater control module at my own expense due to mileage and poor timing on recalls by GM. However, I am still having the most common problem as everyone else here on the A/C unit blowing hot air on the driver side, etc.... Sounds like this has been an issue for over 10yrs now. I'm a full blown Chevyholic, but I am not impressed with these issues not being addressed in a decent amount of time. If anyone can pinpoint me an answer w/o taking my 2004 Silverado to a shop I would greatly appreciate it. All repairs have been not so cheap, but have easy so far.
  • thumper18thumper18 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you might be low on coolant, which would not allow enough pressure to build up to open you thermostat to get your heater core warm enough at idle. Also you may have an air pocket caught in the system. Google how to bleed the system if your mechanically inclined enough(not saying your not) but i have ran into similar problems on my older Chevy. Plus both are pretty much cost free to check yourself which makes it even better
  • jcdmtwjcdmtw Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GMC did this I could not find replacements so I simply cut away the plastic and hooked the hoses directly to the heater core. It has worked fine for several years now
  • integronintegron Member Posts: 2
  • integronintegron Member Posts: 2
    I can not turn the AC on until I shut off the engine and restart.
  • aquatan2002aquatan2002 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Silverado sometimes when AC is on, the unit swaps to defrost with heat by itself and vice cersa when the heat is on. Anyone know of a fix for this, Thanks
  • jpait94jpait94 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I'm hoping you can help me. I don't have the money to take it to the shop. I'm going to try and explain everything as well as I can. So I think it's the A/C control panel. Now here's why when I turn my A/C off when it was working the two little lights indicating the A/C and the little recirculate arrow would either flicker away or stay on. I would have to wiggle the off knob for the lights to actually turn off and stay off. Now when my AC went out I seen on the panel those two little lights flickered and then off my AC went. It only blows out of the two side vents and the floor vents. Earlier today I did discovered that when I turn AC on it'll blow out of the main vents in the truck for a second and then go back to just the side vents and floor vents. I pulled my AC control panel out and there's little blotches of old soda on the circuit board from when my mom had the truck and spilled soda inside it. I've noticed that when I drive around and I have the AC off and the A/C button "off" and the recirculate air button "off" that when I drive around I feel air coming out of the main vents so that tells me the motor that opens and closes the vents is working. Oh and it also doesnt blow cold air it blows just whatever temp is outside even with the AC button on and the AC temp set all the way to max and cold. I'm basically stuck and I don't know what it could be seeing that my AC system is new. It's only about a year to 2 years old max. Sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules. I'm new here. I think that covers everything that I've found.

Thank you guys for any help!
  • jpait94jpait94 Member Posts: 2
  • pclaypclay Member Posts: 10
    When remote starting 2014 Silverado, the Heated Seats do not start. Outside Temperature was about 45F. Also, A/C was off. Dealer confirmed that the configuration settings were correct. Anyone know what the Outside Temp Needs to be to start the vehicle A/C and Heated Seats?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi pclay,

Generally, if the vehicle has heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN. When it is hot outside the cooled seats are cancelled when the ignition is turned on. The heated or cooled seats will not turn on during a remote start unless they are enabled in the vehicle personalization menu. You can find more on the heated seat function in the vehicle manual in Chapter 3-9. We hope this information was helpful to you. Please let us know how everything goes.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • s2kredheads2kredhead Member Posts: 2
  • s2kredheads2kredhead Member Posts: 2
    Our 2007 Chevy Silverado classic with dual climate control is having a problem. The heat mode only comes on when the control knob is set at 90 degrees. If you move it down just one degree to 89, it blows cold. This happens on both driver's side and passenger side. It also happens with the AC on. Any ideas what the problem is?
  • carmitsteadcarmitstead Member Posts: 1
    Greetings
    I'm brand new here, first post....unsure of protocols, will try to be brief
    i have a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 5.3 club cab 4x4
    all fan / direction controls seem to work properly, climate control for passenger side works ( tempurature will change when told to), but drivers side is always cold regardless of climate setting
    On RARE occasions, the driver side will actually work and blow warm air, but very RARE.
    Attempted repairs: removed dash and the component modules to check and clean all electrical connections, re-booted the computer ( disconnected / reconnected)
    the module lighting is not working ( doesnt light up with dash lights at night)
    If anyone has experienced this or similar problem, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Toronto weather is starting to get just a bit chilly now!
    Thanks again.......anxiously awaiting any help
    Cavin
  • 2kgmc25002kgmc2500 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0. The ac works fine when the truck is first started and will continue working while sitting. One I start driving, the air warms up to basically outside temp and will not cool again until the truck is turned off for a little bit. When driving when it's not working, during summer or winter, even with the air off, it blows VERY hot air. No leaks and coolant levels are good. Any ideas? Thanks