Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Prices Paid

Comments

• rocketman10rocketman10 Member Posts: 20
    I ordered my Blazing Blue Automatic Liftback on May 20th and it arrived July 6th. I ordered it with the All Weather Package and Convenience Package and floor mats. I didn't order it with the bumber guard and armrest but it was delivered with those. I don't mind them and the bumper guard will be useful so the bumper doesn't scratch as you put things in the back. The arm rest is comfortable. I had test driven a Liftback on May 13th..I should have purchased it on the spot (it didn't have the armrest but had the bumper guard, I think). I figured it was the demo model and I didn't want to buy the demo. (It turns out someone did the same did...duh on my part...since I could have saved 2 months..but then I didn't think there would that long of a wait..live and learn and I hadn't test drove the Honda Fit..I gave up that idea when I read the gas tank under the driver's feet..no thanks..I don't need to go up in flames if the car gets hit badly) I also thought that the Manager was giving me a line that they don't make the Liftback with ABS....little did I know he wasn't....I ended up doing a lot of research, for which Edmunds proved the best resource, and the forums here....and discovered you have to check what each region was offering as far as packages...I didn't help that when entered my zip code..sometimes Toyota's web site showed you could get ABS and power windows and other times it only showed that you could get the All Weater Package and Convenience Package...that left me befuddled and confused...I finally figured out that's all it comes in for this region (NY/NJ) Edmunds ended up being the better source then Toyota's own web site. In any event, I only wish I had taken the vehicle I test drove (also Blazing Blue..but I am very happy with my Yaris Liftback in Blazing Blue that I ordered...its a great car and I am very happy with it:) So far with 3 tanks of gas I am still averaging around 42 mpg....can't complain one bit with that:)
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    Pretty much, although the Quasimodo people already have their marching orders from Toyota as to what to put on (It's already on the MSRP).

Actually, I think I would have liked the little guy to put on an armrest for me, but oh well.

Also, the people above make a GREAT point about the outgoing Corolla. It is most definitely part of the reason we aren't getting "loaded" Yari yet.

If you think about it, it's brilliant marketing because when the new Corolla finally hits, it WON'T be discounted and will be hyped and hot for a while...

The Yaris will become what we in the business call a "switch" car for people who can't quite step up to the non-discounted all-new Corolla.

I'll still love my lil hatch though :P

T
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    When I bought mine, the VIN showed it was manufactured just 2 weeks before I bought it here in San Diego! Takj about "fresh"....
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yeah, but have you driven a Corolla CE lately? If you are looking for any fun at all in the drive, the Yaris is SO MUCH the better choice. More direct road feel, better steering and handling, better looks, breakaway mirrors, more sophisticated switches for the HVAC, and an MP3 jack. If you go with a base Yaris with convenience package, that is. Which should run you around $13K in an automatic liftback, $14K sedan. Or about $700 more than you could get the comparable Corolla CE. I don't know about you, but I will go the extra $700 to have all those pluses and a car that isn't everywhere as Corolla is, at every stoplight, in every parking lot and driveway....

Now I base that on prices in my area (Bay Area, CA). I find it hard to believe that Corolla CEs are going for $10,5 in other parts of the country, but you're not the first one to mention that number and I won't deny it. If so, they are selling at $2000 or more under invoice? That is surprising. But it certainly reinforces my original point: the Yarii will stay stripped until the new Corolla comes. Then we will finally see them build some with the full complement of what they SAY is available on this model. I look forward to that. Maybe even to a small discount below sticker, as Toyota makes some incentives available to its dealers, eh?! ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• number55number55 Member Posts: 8
    Lafontane on telegraph
    Absolutely right on! Everyone at my dealership thought I was crazy because the Corolla has such a great reputation and isn't nearly as odd looking as my Yaris L/B (I rather like it personally).

The Corolla to me was a 55 and older car from the moment it came out. Extremely nice and refined for what it is, but plain as Vanilla.

All things being equal, I'd take my "basic" Yaris over even an LE Corolla.

I routinely sell Corolla's at 250 over invoice btw... I really doubt anyone is seeing anything but a tricky "ad car" advertisement claiming 10999.99 on a demo or something of the like...

Just no real reason to take a pure loss on a car we don't have any trouble selling. They aren't flying off the lots, but they aren't Neons either lol :P

T
  • bobbert1bobbert1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Chicago, so there are a lot of Toyota dealers in the area. I wanted the Yaris back in May, for an entire week I was calling every dealership in the city and subarbs. Nobody had the hatchback, which I was looking for, a couple places had a 4-door, but even those were selling out immediately. Finally, on Saturday morning I went in and would at least order one, it would be worth the 2-3 week wait for my car. Surprisingly, they had one shipped in that Friday, ready to be sold. I was willing to pay MSRP, which I tried to talk them down from, but with not much room to deal because of the high demand. After signing the papers and buying the car, they were filling up the tank and washing it and the salesman told me that the car was sold, before it even came in, but someone forgot to put the sold sticker on it so we lucked out. Since we had already bought the car, I believe him! I was happy I was able to get the car as quickly as I did, it was worth paying the MSRP to have it the instant I wanted it.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    If you have read through this board, you will see that MSRP is what most everyone pays, including Toyota employees. In fact, many Toyota regions in the country tack on extra crap like Toyoguard, pinstripes, etc. to add a little more profit to the bottom line. We would be interested in having the breakdown as to what your total price was and the breakdown by options installed.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    I routinely sell Corolla's at 250 over invoice btw... I really doubt anyone is seeing anything but a tricky "ad car" advertisement claiming 10999.99 on a demo or something of the like...

Just no real reason to take a pure loss on a car we don't have any trouble selling. They aren't flying off the lots, but they aren't Neons either lol

Every other weekend, the two major dealers in Mass (both are in the top 5-10 largest volume toyota dealerships in the country) offer the stripper CE's with 5-spd trannys for the $10,900 price. There is no fine print, no trade-in or down payment not mentioned on top of that, and they are all sold brand new (not demos). They list the model numbers right in the ads so you can go online and confirm all the info yourself. These two dealerships hate having the stripper CE 5 speeds on their lots, because around here, they just sit around and take up space.

Maybe you don't see this at your place if you don't stock this particular model, or if 5 speeds are more popular where you are, but it happens every other weekend here.

fyi - They do the same thing with the '07 Camrys. Stripper 5 speed CEs are going for around $15,000 every weekend. It's very noticeable because they won't even go to invoice with the LE and XLE, but they'll take a loss on the 5 speed CEs.
    First things first, NEVER, EVER believe a new car ad (Seriously...)! Used ads are LESS jiggy than new ones believe it or not.

It is huge misconception that just because there's no small print or fees listed, there won't be once you get there. Every state is different with their laws regarding this, but that would be my first concern with regards to the ad.

The reason dealerships advertise like that is for one reason and one reason ONLY: to get people in the door and switch them.

Now, in fairness, I'm not sure of the volume the two dealers you speak of do. I suppose it's POSSIBLE to sacrifice a car or two a week to justify exactly what you're doing on here (trumpeting the cost of a vehicle).

There is also a myriad of things to remember regarding these cars beyond the "fees" that may or may not be included: The car having lot damage, being a service loaner, hail damage, etc...

Even if it doesn't though, there's still the age old "oh, that ONE just sold... lemme show you this one instead... we can get REEEAAALLL close ;) ".

Basically, good luck ever seeing the actual "ad" car anyway.

If you had a bonafide source of Corolla's at a pure loss, I know about 5 Toyota Dealerships here in the Valley ready to snatch them up.

Point is, you're just seeing good advertising. It got your attention. If you could really buy one for that (or a Camry CE for that matter), wouldn't it be worth your effort to just resell it yourself and make a few thousand $$$ in the process???

Methinks you smell the rat too.

T
    they are routinely discounting Corollas $2000 or so off sticker. That puts a CE with a stick and no options but floor mats at around $12,7. Some places have weekend sales where the ad says $2500 off all Corollas in stock (a local dealer had one just the weekend before last, in fact), but they also routinely put ADM of $2000 on their cars, so I don't know which price the discount is from, the sticker or the ADM.

Still, I could get a Corolla CE stick with no options for $12,7, or I could get a Yaris liftback with convenience package selling at full sticker for about $12,3 (sedan around $13,3). I would say the Yaris is the better deal, for all the reasons I listed before. The Corolla's only advantage feature-wise is the standard power mirrors. Neither car is really equipped the way I would want, of course, and that is the biggest problem with the Yaris - getting ones with all the features you want. Keyless, ABS, extra airbags, cruise, alloys, you pay extra for everything, and some things aren't even offered from the factory.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Regionally, Toyota will sometimes offer cash back on certain vehicles... (i.e. We have $750.00 on Sienna's, but some other regions don't) but honestly, in 7 years with dealerships in two states, I have never seen a pure loss (i.e. below invoice minus holdback)... at least on a consistent basis.

Again, not to say it doesn't happen (end of the month, salesperson/manager bonus, aged inventory etc...).

Also you brought up a good point about addendums. Not only do they make the "ad price" irrelevant, but they're just another reason you should IGNORE the sale prices you see.

There's always a way to make money. A dealership is a lot like Vegas :P . I have customers telling me about all the "deals" they COULD get, but in the end, no one waves a buyers order in my face after buying one, or can produce a written offer from the dealer to sell it for a pure loss with no adds.

T

PS: I tend to agree about "loading up" a Yaris. To me, it's got plenty of safety and features (do you really NEED power windows/locks/mirrors on a compact economy car?). All I wanted was Toyota quality, A/C, a decent stereo, power steering, and the basics (windshield, brakes, tires lol). I even went through a drive thru today and *gasp* rolled down my window! My arm didn't fall off or nothin ;) !
    Doubt me if you want, but this is how one of my friends got their Corolla...so I know the drill first-hand. The only things the $10,900 didn't include were the delivery fee ($550ish), dealer doc fee (around $300) and the sales tax (5% here in Mass). Otherwise, all charges and fees were included. And these two dealerships are known for not adding any "extras" (toyoguard, flaps, paint protection, etc.) without your express consent after the purchase order is signed.

Sure you can try and resell it, but once it's off the lot it is obviously a used car and you'd have trouble selling it as anything else, even to a private buyer. And trying to sell a standard tranny Corolla on your own around here would be VERY difficult.

Then again, due to demand, a significant number of people have successfully sold or traded in their used hybrid cars for a profit in recent months....so it's not out of the question to try to "flip" a car if the circumstances are right (though the sales tax issue usually cuts into a significant chunk of that profit and makes it prohibitive to resell, unless you got a ridiculously good deal and can afford to throw that money out the window).
    Oh, I was including delivery in my statements. How can they advertise the car without the delivery fees? That is deceptive practice IMO - it is not like the delivery fee is optional or something, it is right on the Monroney sticker!

So these Corolla CEs were $11,5 with a $300 mark-up on doc fees (which were $40 on the last car I bought), so about $11,750. Which is still about $1000 less than I thought a Corolla CE's lowest price could be, but if they were advertising it as a loss leader in the hopes of turning the buyer once they were on the lot, I could see it.

So those Corollas are selling for about $800 less than a base Yaris sedan with no options. Throw in the convenience package on the Yaris, now you're at $13,2 and you're comparably equipped. So you would be paying $1500 more for the newer model with all the advantages I listed above. Hmmm.....I think I would probably still go with the Yaris, but $1500 is a very good incentive to go with the Corolla instead, I will admit...and for me particularly it's a moot point, because I would want the liftback, not the sedan, and the liftback would only be about $500 more than that Corolla CE, and I would GLADLY pay the extra $500 in that case.

I'm trying really hard not to be too argumentitive here, but please believe me when I say this because it's what I do for a living:

Show me some hard proof that that's what they are SELLING for (i.e. what people are writing a check for and leaving the dealership with the brand new, no miles, no damage car for)...

Everything else is just good conversation.

Example: I CAN sell a Land Cruiser for $1.00. I am not GOING to, but I COULD. If that makes any sense?

Again, if you really can buy them for that, DO IT. Buy every one you can, then put them in AutoTrader ($79.95) at $13500.00 a piece and watch as the offers roll in from all over the country to buy them for at minimum a $1000.00 more than what you paid. Or better yet, contact me and I'll just give you $12000.00 (brand new 2006 or 2007 5 speed CE with no miles and no damge). That's still below invoice minus holdback.

Heck, you could probably retire :P

T

PS: I know of some land in Florida I can sell you CHEAP too ;)

(Don't believe everything you see in the paper, it is just to get you in the door. Some people call it "Deceptive", some call it "Bait And Switch", but it's what dealers are forced to do these days to get some people in the door. And I say forced, because if not, people who newspaper shop just end up going to who lies to them the most... It's the truth)

:)
  • mwc115mwc115 Member Posts: 1
    I just got mine on 8/11 in Mesa, AZ at Big Two Toyota. These little cars seem hard to come by here, as the Yaris was the only one available and only the 4 door. (I did find one Honda Fit that they wanted +$1000 over MSRP) I got a base model auto 4 dr for $13,200. The dealer did a couple of after market stuff to it so that knocked it up to $13,700.
    tjw:

I don't see why you have such a hard time with this. There are two or three regular posters over on the Corolla Prices Paid thread who are also toyota dealers and they deal with similar "loss leader" ads all the time....and they freely admit that they are legit. Sure not all dealerships in all markets can afford to or want to do this (though we ARE only talking about two cars a month usually - one new car every two weeks, when I assume their shipments come in).

I'm not a rookie here. I know all the trappings and sneaky little things dealerships do to bring people in. I know for a fact this is not what is happening at these two dealerships for these particular recurring ads.

No thanks on the offer. After sales tax and doc fees, the OTD price wouldn't make it worth it. One certainly couldn't retire comfortably making a few hundred bucks profit twice a month.
    So what aftermarket stuff from the dealer did you pay $500 for? Just curious.

I'm really not having a hard time at all, just trying to make the point that you AREN'T going to be getting a new Corolla CE for 10500 (or even 11500 for thet matter).

I could post on this board that the last Tundra I sold was for $9995.00 plus fees. See how ambiguous "fees" can be?

Does that mean you should believe that because of my "locale" that Tundra's are really going for 9995? Of course not.

And if you don't want to pay for the "fees", you don't get the car.

I'm just trying to educate some of the less versed so they don't pass up on a good deal because someone on this board "said" they could buy one for 10500 when that is just simply not the case.

I can PROVE what I bought my Yaris for (I can scan the buyers order and show you the RDR in my name). Can anyone claiming to have bought one of these "loss leaders" provide any kind of evidence they bought it for 10500, or even 11500??? Of course not.

I am calling BS.

Unless they paid a LOT in fees (or had a trade in under allowed on), there just isn't any reason too, regardless of location.

BTW, look at autotrader.com if you don't believe me... look at what people are ASKING for even a used CE Manaual. They may not get as much as they are asking, but no one is even CLOSE to what you see these supposed "loss leaders" for.

These cars go through AUCTIONS at close to wholesale book value (Toyota's and Honda's are about the only exception right now). Believe me, my used car buyer would love to buy them at a two grand back just to certify them as USED cars and sell them for 13999.

Bottom line is, believe it if you want, but it's a load.

Even with reasonable doc fees and taxes, you could still make more than a few hundred if you COULD buy it for what you think you can.

But you can't.

T :)
  • bobbert1bobbert1 Member Posts: 2
    OK Selling price was $13320, automatic, with the weather package and floormats. taxes were $1201 and the fees were $137. Out the door it was $14,658. Paying a couple hundred for floormats made the selling price a little higher, but they sure look good in the car.
  • asa805asa805 Member Posts: 29
    can we direct this thread back to prices paid for the toyota yaris... thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Consider yourself directed.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    I've just test drive this car and I have to say it is a great car and I really want to get it. I'm just wondering how much is everyone paying for their car OTD in the Bay Area.
    I am thinking of getting the Sedan AT w/ Power package (alloy wheels). The Type S series to me is not worth it as it would price near to the Corolla. Edmunds TMV for this car is $15,535 (Power Package w/ alloy wheels and keyless entry). What would be a reasonable offer OTD?

Another question is it better if I buy it in the Labor day weekend. Probably a better chance to negotiate?

I am open for all suggestions as this is my first time buying a new car.

Thanks in adavance for all your inputs.
    This one is easy to negotiate. If you will read back through this thread, you will see that most Yarii sell at full MSRP, due to high demand. Anything less and you are getting a really good deal.
  • domovich1domovich1 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you got a decent deal especially that you got an automatic. Here in New York after three hours of negotiations they wanted $14,565 for the Yaris Sedan with stick, PQ, and KE. I couldn't talk them down and at the end thanked them for the coffee and left. Which dealership did you go to. I'd be willing to travel for such a price.
    Agreed with the MSRP statement.

The good news is, you aren't looking at a lot of "negotiating" even when they do cool off a bit, as Toyota only builds in a few hundred in profit anyway.

Any Yaris with the power package right now is a RARE bird :) . As long as you don't get gouged with fees, you will be doing just fine with MSRP.

If you wait till Labor Day you will most likely be negotiating for thin air :P

T
    http://www.performancetoyotamem.com/ shows a hatchback in stock for $12,270 MSRP. Haven't called, but this has to be a Manual Transmission with Option Package A and nothing else. Someone could buy this over the phone and fly into Memphis and drive it home.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national news magazine is looking new Toyota owners that switched out from a Ford vehicle with their new purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information, what Toyota car you purchased and what Ford car you left behind.
    Talk about a pre conceived conclusion. Let's find some examples to support it. Toyota owners that have switched to Fords need not respond.
    It's sad really. Probably the toughest part of my job these days is dealing with domestic trade-ins :( .

With all that Ford has done to their product (which isn't a bad one by any means I might add), it's difficult to get someone out of their vehicle that's less than 5 years old.

Either they owe way too much and can't cover the inequity, or they paid cash and are insulted as to what it's really worth now.

It's so nice to know I'm barely upside down on my car right now... and I paid MSRP last month.

Crazy :shades: In a year I'll actually have EQUITY...

T
  • bkm1967bkm1967 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Muncie, IN and I paid 13320 for mine. Does not have the power pack but it was the only one on the lot and it does have AT. No alloy wheels, either.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and just needed a good commuter vehicle to travel my daily 110 round to work and home. :)
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    Hey tjw1308, I wonder whether you could comment on something. Could you outline the "communication process" that occurs from the time an order is taken to the time of delivery? My salesman told me something about Toyota having to formally "accept" an order, then at some point a "Temporarily Serial#" gets assigned, then there are some "Status" codes that get assigned and communicated along the way. Is there any more to the process? Thanks.
  • webshafwebshaf Member Posts: 8
    I would like to know more about this process also. I ordered a LB in May and over 2 months later the dealer called and said Toyota won't make it. Something doesn't jive that it would take so long to hear that after being told it would be ready for me in Sept. Anybody in the business have thoughts on this? Thanks.
    Well anytime you preference a vehicle it's technically "accepted" by Toyota once it's put into the Toyota Dealer Network and given priority based on your dealership (some get better allocation than others). On a pure order though (which we rarely if ever do), I'm sure you'd get more of a confirmation.

Once the temporary serial is assigned the vehicle has been processed and scheduled for build, and most of the time has already been built (manufacturers don't like releasing VIN's until the vehicle is en route due to dealers contracting on cars that aren't on hand yet, and because VIN applications sometimes take longer than the build process).

The status code you are looking for is "G". If the car is in "G" status it means the car is built, VIN'd, and 99 times out of 100, at the dealer. "A" Status is On-Order. Typically "A" status has information attached to it including time of production, ETA to port, and ETA to dealer (Sometimes skipping a step entirely and just showing up =). The Dealer ETA is usually fairly accurate once the vehicle is on the way though.

Keep in mind, as my boss often reminds me, the whole process is only as good as the person updating it in the system (remember my car arrived a good 10 days before even us Toyota guys thought it would).

Hope that helps a little :)

T
    I can almost guarantee you that no traditional "order" was ever placed :( .

Instead, they most likely "preferenced" your car in the hopes that one of the ones hitting your region in the two months before they gave up would match. Then they could just go get it from whoever ended up with it (if it wasn't them).

It's kinda like ordering I suppose, but 2 months is a short time for a DOMESTIC manufacturer to special order a car these days, let alone one entirely built in Japan. Usually the cars have already been scheduled out for months, and usually one coming down the pipe is what you "ordered".

With the Yaris, the demand has been higher than even Toyota anticipated I think.

I had a couple last saturday that wanted a 5 speed liftback with every option and ended up leaving in a base automatic.

For now, even insiders (mine doesn't have the power package) have to make sacrifices :) .

My only advice would be give it time, and check outside your current region. Last I looked though, there were literally only about 20 L/B on the ground nationwide.

Hang in! They're worth it! :D

T
    Well...thanks...I think. This is going to be interesting. It was my understanding that an "order" was taken. I have a sheet of paper with my car specd out just like I want it. The salesman looked in his computer and said "Your car doesn't exist in the world so it will have to be built." He said it would take 3-5 weeks to get "acceptance" of the order (which became 4-6 weeks after I signed the paper). Then another 2-4 before the car arrived. I called him at exactly 4 weeks to see what was up. (Trying to be a good customer and not bug him constantly.) He said his manager had informed him that Toyota had "accepted" the order within the 1st week. I said, "That means they are going to build it the way we ordered it, right? He said, "Yes" and that he would call when they received the Temp Ser# meaning production was imminent. I sure hope I'm not getting a big song & dance. Is there an "F" status? They told me that if I have sold my existing cars by the time the status goes "F" that they would provide me a loaner until my Yaris arrives.
    "F" Status is In-Transit, although since it technically is on the move (and the driver sure doesn't update the TDN), it's tough to guage exactly what day it'll be there (rely loosely on the DLR-ETA for that).

Again, it sounds like they may have actually ordered the car. If they did, from all I know and have heard though, even the full ten week worst case scenario is VERY generous imho.

Unless you ordered a typical package of options (regionally available) or just wanted something like a port installed armrest or bumper protector, I'd say be prepared to wait.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask though, as with the pain in the butt these orders inevitibly become (case in point, and certainly understandable), we just stick to getting what we know we can get.

If it means losing a few deals to save the hassle I guess we're guilty, but I certainly know why we do lol...

Keep us updated, as I am very interested to see how it works out, and sorry I can't be of more help :)

T
    with the pain in the butt these orders inevitibly become (case in point, and certainly understandable), we just stick to getting what we know we can get.

Well, it isn't really a pain in the butt--YET. The only way it would be is if I'm not being dealt with honestly as regards the whole ordering scenario. All anyone really wants is honesty so they can manage their life accordingly. It's when people play games that things get frustrating. I will most definitely report back as to how things transpire.
    All anyone really wants is honesty so they can manage their life accordingly

Ahhh, if only that were true, my job would be SO much easier :P

T
  • rbaruchrbaruch Member Posts: 5
    So, I got my 3-door manual Yaris yesterday. My previous experience was with Newark Toyota in Delaware. :mad:

So after that fiasco, I went to Ardmore Toyota in Philadelphia, figuring that being a bigger dealer, they'd have more control over things. I asked for the car on the 19th, and they called me back on the 24th or 25th. Apparently the car that I wanted had already been built, and they just snagged it without agonizing about which dealer it was supposed to go to and trying to work a deal with them. It arrived at the dealership on the 29th, and I drove it home yesterday! :)

Lesson learned: go to a city to buy a car.

Oh, and also, driving in on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car at night sucks :(

--Rob
  • asa805asa805 Member Posts: 29
    How much did u pay?
    And what options did you get?

• rbaruchrbaruch Member Posts: 5
    It has manual trans, convenience package, all-weather package, floor mats, and arm rest, that's it. I paid $12,500, which includes the destination charge, but does not include taxes, tags, etc.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I know there are some of you who just HAVE to have one of these cars, but now is the absolute WORST time to buy one. Because it's a brand new model, and because it's very unique looking, demand for this car is so high Toyota can't build them fast enough. The result is dealers being very inflexiable on price, and people having to settle for what they can find instead of getting exactly what they want. My advice is wait until supply meets or exceeds demand (it always does). This will mean better deals can be had, and you'll be more apt to find the model, color, equipment, etc., you're looking for. Also, I'm sure Toyota will come to their senses and relaize how badly they screwed up by not offering cruise control and a tach for the liftback model. Those will probably be available for the '08 model.
    Before anyone overreacts they need to realize a couple things:

1) A "good deal" on a Yaris is literally a matter of hundreds, not thousands of dollars. If waiting a year or more to save a few hundred bucks is worth it to ya, by all means, but you must realize the markup in these cars is MINISCULE.

2) You say "how badly they screwed up"... Let's see... they can't keep up with demand, sell for sticker, and have a higher owner rating on Edmunds than the Fit OR the Versa.

Wow, I wish my life was as screwed up as this car... :P

Now in all seriousness, I agree demand will die down a bit, but to delay your purchase for saving literally a hundred bucks or two and on the HUNCH they may add a few features that only a handful find essential... is a little extreme.

T
    When I said they screwed up, I didn't mean on the entire car, I meant they screwed up by not making the liftback available with cruise control and a tach. My guess is there have already been enough complaints about this, Toyota will act. They're pretty good about listening to their customers. Also there is more to waiting to buy one besides saving money. You will also be more likely to find one equipped the way you want it. As it is now, they're so hard to find you're almost stuck with settling for what's available.
    Crazy as it may sound, I haven't heard a single complaint about the lack of cruise or the tach from anyone thus far (over 200 customers minimum).

What I do hear is the hemming and hawing about having to pay sticker. It's borderline ridiculous. If you don't want to pay the whopping 9% markup, go buy a Ford lol.. I hear they have no trouble at all keeping oodles on the lot these days... I only wonder why :P ...

As for equipment, we can typically get what someone wants as far as color/equipment (within reason, but keep in mind, they bundle things like the power package, ABS, and side airbags together) within 4-6 weeks.

If you HAVE to have it today, then yes, sometimes you'll have to settle. But it's not as if settling includes getting a car with a different engine, or without brakes, or something to that effect.

A lot of people are quite comfortable without things like ABS, Side Airbags, and Power Packages.

Frankly, I'm happy to be associated with a manufacturer that doesn't overproduce just because they can, have oodles of unsold product, and have to beg customers to buy them with huge rebates and discounts.

There's a reason why Toyota excluded certain features. As discussed ad nauseum here, they don't want to cannibalize Corolla sales given that it is stale product. Now MAYBE when the new (2008-9) Corolla hits we will see the NEXT model year Yaris Liftback (2009-10) include a tach and cruise, but until then, myself and a lot of industry insiders find it highly unlikely.

There's also a reason why once you get the sedan equipped with those features it's basically as expensive as a CE Corolla :) .

For the forums edification, we have still been moving every one we get, within 24-48 hours, for MSRP. If you can get a hundred or more off and are getting a Yaris that makes you happy, jump on it!

T
    ....available as a dealer installed option in the liftback?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I noticed that no models of Yaris, hatch, sedan or S sedan show any availability of side curtain airbags anywhere in the state of California. I tried the Toyota Configurator in multiple zip codes in both northern and southern California.

Is this a "real" option that they plan to make available later in the year or just a phantom vapor "option" pencil-whipped onto their brochures and websites simply for marketing reasons?

Even ABS is rare since it seems to be only be available in one option package on the base sedan. Not available on the S sedan or the hatchback.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The Airbag package is pretty much a "paper" option for Toyota. There are 3 out of 281 Yarii in the Southeast region with the option. Unlike Honda where safety is for everyone, at Toyota it is safety in the commercials and brochures but not actually available in cars for sale.