Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Talk about accessories for your Fit.

Comments

• hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I'm sure that will void the warranty since you are cutting through the roof.

Also, don't forget that the Jazz in the picture is not USDM and therefore doesn't have the side-curtain airbags. I'm not sure where the wiring for the side-curtain airbags is located.
    The airbags for the front row come out of the A-pillar. I don't know how installation of a sunroof might affect that since the ceiling near that will be lower due to the sunroof glass and operating mechanism.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Installation of sunroof will absolutely NOT void warranty.

Side-curtain airbags are not affected by the installation.
    Installation of sunroof will absolutely NOT void warranty.

Even if Honda has nothing to do with it?

Then why is it that car companies make a fuss about installing certain aftermarket items and voiding the warranty, much less installing an aftermarket sunroof?
  • nukepooch1nukepooch1 Member Posts: 35
    According to the Magnuson/Moss Act (or is it Moss/Magnuson?), a car company can not void the warranty if the aftermarket item is not at fault for the problem. Example...you have a sunroof, stereo, alarm, etc. put in, and the engine falls out...Honda can't void the warranty. However, SOME stealerships may give you grief about aftermarket goodies and try to avoid warranty service. If that happens, find another dealer.
  • mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    I asked a customer relations rep at the Montreal Auto Show about whether a sunroof would be offered as an option on the base. Her immediate response was that it would be offered on the Sport, although she didn't have any specific information to that effect.

I then suggested that if it wasn't offered as an option, that I would 'cut a hole in the roof' and drop in an aftermarket one. :)

After picking her off the floor, she admitted that I could do that but warned that I had better make sure it is properly installed. Her point was that you have to be careful; otherwise, if you are in an accident, your insurance company may refuse to pay.
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    "stealerships"? Was this a typo? If not, I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences, however, some things are a two way street.

In my DEALERSHIP, we dont "steal" anything. I have never stolen a dime from a customer. I have always given a professional service before, during, and after the sale. I EARN my commissions. IF you have a chip on your shoulder walking onto my lot, I can smell it a mile away.

I never steal profit, but i will ask for it. You may buy a car for cheap, but I'm not for free.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    What do you mean by chip on your shoulder. and that you can smell it a mile away?? Is nt it true the buyer has to hagle/negotiate in order to get the lowest price. the dealer wont just give it to you.
    What would you recomend??
    Im not trying to se sarcastic/
    thanks for your honest reply.

What I meant by the "chip on the shoulder" comment is that when a customer comes onto my lot, calls me, emails me, or talks to me, I can tell in a few seconds what their experiences have been. If customers are honest with us, we will bend over backwards to help them.

Yes, most customers negotiate. It is not necessary though. Every window sticker has a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). That is the price Honda says the vehicle should be sold at. If you looked at any product in any market, there is a MSRP. Ie: clothes, food, etc... Do you go to McDonalds and negotiate a Big Mac? Do you go to the mall and haggle about a price for a pair of jeans? No, you dont. However, some customers seem to think that just because a dealership paid X amount for a vehicle, they should buy it for equal or even less than that amount.

We have a business to run, families to feed, and a community and previous customers to service and support.

When I negotiate a vehicle with a customer I ask 3 questions: 1.) If I made all the terms of the deal agreeable to you, would you take delivery now? 2.) Do you want the no-haggle price or the MSRP? and 3.) Who else do you know looking for a new or pre-owned vehicle?

If I give a no-haggle price, I almost always discount the vehicle for a fair profit depending on the vehicles time in stock, availability, and market value. 99.9% of the time, the customer will try to negotiate. We, the dealerships, didnt start the "negotiation trend", customers did.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Any suggestions for a novice negotitor.
    I do appreciate your time.
    Should I
    1) bring the wife.

2)should I ask for Non hagle price.
    3) bother to ask them to thor in mats.
    4) If I put down $5000 how should i go about the finacing piece?
    Once again thanx for your time, i know you side hasto make money and I do appreciate what you do. :)
  • nukepooch1nukepooch1 Member Posts: 35
    Regarding the "stealership" comment...

No, it was not a typo...nothing was mentioned about sales. In my original post, any dealer who would try to deny warranty service due to unrelated aftermarket parts would fall into the "stealership" category...I then said to go look for "another dealer." I made no reference to sales, as the reply was concerning warranty issues. I also realize that some aftermarket parts can cause problems with the warranty. If I put a nitrous oxide system on my car resulting in engine damage, I would expect the dealer to void the warranty on the engine...but would still expect the dealer to warranty the rest of the car, which had nothing to do with the nitrous system.

However, I was not clear enough in that I in no way meant to refer to all dealers as stealers, if that makes any sense. I have dealt with bad dealers, and very good ones...Guess which ones I go to now? My whole point was that if you find yourself being treated badly, move on down the road...whether the problem is with sales or service.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I know you were asking someone specific for answers, but here's my take on it...

1) If you don't bring the wife, then she won't feel as involved in the purchase, which could translate into "you obviously don't care what I think." If you DO bring the wife, then you might not be as willing to be agressive in your final negotiations. Personally, I would rather keep the wife happy, than get another 500 bucks off of a car.

2) Right now, all you're going to be able to do is get in line for the first ones off the line. Any pre-orders are most likely going to be written as MSRP, with the idea that the haggling (if any), would happen at the time of actual purchase. Even the dealers don't have the prices, right now. I've purchased through dealerships using both the no-haggle and the haggling method, and have found the no-haggle way results in more things being "thrown in", resulting in pretty much a wash, regarding final price. The transaction is much less stressful for all involved - almost like you get rewarded with free car mats, mudguards, etc., just for not making them fight for the sale. Some people like the challenge, though.

3) It doesn't hurt to ask. Personally, I'd rather have the all-weather mats, than the carpeted ones. They're much more durable, and a thousand times easier to clean. Don't forget about the cargo cover and cargo tray as other "nice to have" items to discuss.

4) If you put $5k down now, then you'll deal with financing the rest, once the car comes in. At that point, it's just like any other car purchase, when it comes to the lenders.
    Yes, most customers negotiate. It is not necessary though. Every window sticker has a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). That is the price Honda says the vehicle should be sold at. However, some customers seem to think that just because a dealership paid X amount for a vehicle, they should buy it for equal or even less than that amount.

We have a business to run, families to feed, and a community and previous customers to service and support.

Chicago Market advertised prices for NEW 2006 Honda-

Civic EX Coupe automatic $17395 market MSRP $19,610
    Ridgeline RTS $25,775 market $30,625 MSRP
    Accord EXV6 automatic (no nav) $24,250 market $27,850 MSRP

Why would I want to negotiate and save thousands of dollars when I could pay MSRP? :surprise:

Negotiation is not necessary at dealers that offer their best price to everyone, negotiation is necessary at dealers that sell at MSRP.

Once the Fit is availabe and I have the opportunity to see if it meets my needs, I may purchase one, I will NOT be paying MSRP. Never have, never will, unless the purchasing environment changes dramatically. I work too hard for my money to give it away.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    to expand on what the previous poster was pointing out, dealerships are the ones who make the deals and sell the cars. If you don't like the fact that cars sell for less than MSRP, go talk to your fellow dealers and tell them to stop doing it. If there was one set price that all sellers sold cars for and all buyers bought cars for, there would be far less "hurt feelings."

by the way, you sound way too sensitive to be a dealer.

Do you go to the mall and haggle about a price for a pair of jeans? No, you dont.

I don't have to. I shop around for the lowest price and pay it. Same with electronics (although I do negotiate on the more expensive stuff like TVs and computers) and just about every other retail product. Its rare to find 2 stores that sell at the same price, so I go to the cheapest one ... why should cars be any different?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you don't like the fact that cars sell for less than MSRP, go talk to your fellow dealers and tell them to stop doing it. If there was one set price that all sellers sold cars for and all buyers bought cars for, there would be far less "hurt feelings."

Um, I think that is called "price fixing" and is illegal in the U.S. The window stickers on cars clearly state that the price is the "suggested" retail price, and actual pricing is determined by the dealer. If a dealer wants to sell a car at or above MSRP, that is their privilege. And it's mine to look elsewhere if I don't like their pricing practices.
    Tell that to Saturn and Scion

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Saturn and Scion dealers don't collude together to fix prices. The price is set by the manufacturer, it is a corporate policy to sell at MSRP.
    Tell that to Saturn and Scion

There are Saturn and Scion dealers that negotiate and sell at less than MSRP.
    Yes, yes, i understand both of those points. And, honestly, your 2 points kind of counter each other. The ability to fix pricing on vehicles can and does exist (regardless of who sets the policy) ... but, again, as if to illustrate my point, the dealers (in this example, Scion and Saturn) don't stick to it.

I did not make my first post on the subject to say it SHOULD be done, but to point out to this supposed dealer that its not entirely the fault of the customers that negotiating takes place. Its a fact of car buying that has been instilled by and continues to be perpetuated by the dealers who accept it and even promote it.

no problem, thank you for that clarification.

no disrespect intended
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    Did someone say that there is a part you can get to install the upper glove box that is on the european Jazz as well as the lower under dash tray? If so where?
    By the way here is an excellent list of Jazz accessories from Honda of Ireland. Man I like the European jazz much better!
    http://www.honda.ie/imgLib/honda2004/Jazz_accessory_brochure.pdf
    I don't think that will be possible. That part of the dashboard is different on the European and US markets. The US market has a tray where the European market glove compartment opens up.
    However, it still may be possible to install the under-dash tray provided the US market glove compartment doesn't interfer with it.

There is one change I plan to make when I get the Fit.
    The taillight fixtures are identical between the US and European models, except for the fact that the turn signal and reverse lights are switched. From the looks of it, they can be switched back very easily since they are right next to each other, and the same size. Just switch the plugs.

"Man I like the European jazz much better!"
    There aren't that many cosmetic differences. The only ones I noticed on the exterior are the larger bumpers and different plastic wheel covers. In the inside, the European markets have a different glove compartment, and the under-dash tray. Of course, the US version has side-curtain airbags too. Almost everything else is the same (apart from mechanical differences). One thing I hope is that a lot of the accessories on that Irish brochure are offered on the US Fit. :)
    I like the alloy wheel choices. 14" and they don't look too extravagant.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I would never buy an aftermarket sunroof but lobby with Honda so that they offer their sunroof already available on the Fit in other countries.

There is no reason such a significant option would be unavailable in the N/A market
    Why would you not buy an aftermarket sunroof?
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Imho, this is likely to threaten the car quality.

a sunroof is more than any other accessory, very sensitive to leaks. I admit my experience is limited to a bad one, but it is difficult to integrate it without compromising the inside roof trim and make it look like shabby.

I had one case of a friend whose car sunroof leaked and lead water to reach some electronic compenents which, because of this, went out of warranty. a $2000 Bill. Don't know the exact details, but this opens a door to potential long terms issues.

otoh, the factory option I have is very well integrated and is electrically powered. For those who need a sunroof, this can't be compared to an aftermarket. The aftermarket is likely to speed up the value loss of a car in comparison to a factory installed (and guaranteed) one.

Maybe there are some good aftermarkets ones, but my point is that there is some compromise that is nearly non-existent with factory installed.

otoh, the factory built
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Does anyone know where, if any, the flashing LED is located for the Sport with the factory security system?
  • zeniffzeniff Member Posts: 7
    See this webpage to see where the flashing LED is located on the Fit:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/1stgenfit/security.jpg

">
    Thanks! I think that's where they put the LED if you buy the dealer-installed security system. But I wonder if there is an LED for the Sport model which supposedly comes with a factory security system.
  • bfleming1bfleming1 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone have info on mounting a hitch to the fit. The hitch would be for carrying bikes only,any info would be appreciated.thanks
  • makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
    Just got back from my test drives--drove the base and sport 5-speeds. I think the base felt less jarring over potholes and bumps--I couldn't tell the difference around turns, but I wasn't going that fast--just took a corner really hard and both the base and sport stayed flat and true. For me it comes down to the following: I want the cruise control, keyless entry, security alarm, and Auxilary audio input. I don't want spoilers, side skirts, or 15" wheels/low profile tires. I figure I can sell the 15" alloy wheels/tires easily enough on eBay and get 14" alloys with regular all season tires. The rear spoiler is held on by two bolts, but will leave two holes in the rear hatch. The skirts, front spoiler and rear lower spoiler are also very easy to remove, but there will be small holes to fill. I think the easist thing to do is fill the holes with lubricated flush flat rubber plugs--but the right way to do it would be take the car to a body shop and have them fill the holes and repaint the areas. Opinions? How much do you think the wheels/skirts/spoilers will get on eBay?
  • cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    Called Honda (the customer service line on the website) about a week ago to find out if the underbody kit or the spolier were removable. They told me yes.

Called today to confirm (buying a Sport because of cruise) and they told me that -no-, they weren't removable, because there would be holes in the body.

Why different answers? Any suggestions on what the reality of this situation is?
    I would not recommend removing the skirts and spoiler. A
    Any time the integrity of the factory paint is compromised the risk of corrosion increases.
    There will be significant diminished value of the vehicle at time of sale due to the modifications.
    Reality is that they are removable. They are not recommended to be removed. If there is rust or paint problems in the panels where they are removed there is risk of no warranty coverage for those specific panels.
    I guess one has to consider whether the holes would come into contact with corrosives--I don't live in an area where road salts are commonly used, so if I seal the holes properly (rubber gromits/grease or bondo/paint) I don't think there will be a corrosion issue.
    I would keep them on. Without them, the Fit looks like any other econohatch. The spoiler, skirts transcend it to a whole different funky class -- like a poor man's Mini.
    I prefer the cleaner look of the base Fit and I want the car to be as innocuous as possible. Let the theives steal the sport model and leave my "stripped" sport alone.
    I agree. I think the Sport looks too busy and I do like the cleaner lines of the base model.

I do not agree that it looks like any other econohatch. In fact, several people have complemented me on the car and telling me how it looks so European and does not look cheap like all of the other economy cars on the road. Just today, I was talking to a guy on a moped while I was waiting for a particularly long red light. Nothing but complements, "cute car", "wow", "looks great". In fact, he was really surprised it was only $13,850 at MSRP. He thought it was $18,000+!
    No disrespect intended, but I think the base looks too much like the Aveo and cars of that ilk.

"I was talking to a guy on a moped while I was waiting for a particularly long red light. Nothing but complements,"

The dude was on a moped! He was near the bottom of the motorized transportation food chain! :P ;)
    The other people who made the complements did not have mopeds. They all had cars that are more expensive and more "prestigious".

I parked next to an Aveo yesterday. No comparison. The Fit has much more presence, it looks like a real car with much nicer lines...it looks like it was designed thoughtfully. The Aveo on the other hand is nothing but a sad little rental car. It looks cheap: cheaply designed, cheaply built.

Frail! That's the word for the Aveo.

Just because it has 5 doors doesn't necessarily make it look like the Aveo.
    To be fair, I have not compared the 2 side by side, so you might be right. And I don't mean to be dissing your ride in any way. I just personally prefer the look of the Sport. I actually think even the 15" wheel/tire combo on the Sport is a tad small.

Enjoy your car. Look forward to more updates from you.
    "I actually think even the 15" wheel/tire combo on the Sport is a tad small."

Actually, when I was walking to first see my car in the service area, I first passed by the Blaze Orange and Vivid Blue Sports with the 15", and I thought, "those wheels look big"! ;)

Maybe it's just because my last two cars have had 13" wheels. The 14" wheels do look kind of small though. I have to say the one part of the base Fit that does look cheap are the plastic wheel covers. I will keep them for a while and see if I get over it. If not, I will probably switch to alloys. I finally got some prices for a set of 14" Jazz alloys. About US$150 per wheel, which is fine, but the freight is US$600-$800!!
    cool, can you link to where you found those wheels?
    I contacted College Hills Honda (hondapreview.com) after they put their "imports" page up. I think the wheels come from Australia. However, they told me they can get me nice wheels without having to import. I'm still debating.

Either way, they have the best prices I have seen so far (for general accessories) and they seem reliable.

* I am not affiliated with College Hills Honda and this is not a paid advertisement ;)
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Spoiler and body kit questions...
    Has anyone had any experience or observation on the Fit security system, either the factory one that's standard on the Sport, or the dealer-installed one? Is it an adequate system or is it a Mickey Mouse system? Specifically, does it protect the hatch and hood as well as the doors? Does it beep, flash lights when arm/disarm, any warning LED anywhere, etc, etc?
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    buying a Sport because of cruise

The first thing the salesman said to me, when I said I wasn't sure if I wanted the base or the sport was "we can easily add cruise to the base." It's aftermarket (so it would be on a separate stalk, instead of on the face of the steering wheel), but it works just as well.

If your only reason for getting the sport is the cruise control, I'd say get the base, and add the cruise.
  • fitcoupefitcoupe Member Posts: 9
    I found out how the security alarm sounds: a gust of wind set it off while parked in my driveway! The weather recorded gusts up to only 14 mph. If this keeps happening (even if it doesnt) I am going to figure out how to disable it.

It was, BTW, less obnoxious sounding than most ive heard. Sort of a regular honk from the horn (I was in the house, and just pushed the key to stop it, so I did not purposefully observe it).

Anyways me living in a small town I dont think I need it.
    Keyless & stereo is a nice bonus, too. But yeah, I agree, at this point I am leaning towards base + cruise aftermarket (if anything).

Still indecisive, still drawn towards the sport... any idea where the holes will be when removing the side sills? Like, on the outside of the vehicle?

I guess I could call a body shop...
    Do you have the factory, or dealer-installed accessory alarm? Are you sure the wind set off the alarm, because I think this would then be the first Honda model that comes with a motion-sensor alarm system?
  • drknifedrknife Member Posts: 25
    Is the alarm and remote key entry attched to the key or a separate key chain item?
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    The alarm is attached to the key. No seperate key chain.