Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• infiniti96infiniti96 Member Posts: 1
    My QX4 has 138,400 miles. Needs new brake pads, pinnion boots and alignment. Total estimates is approx $1000. Typically spend 2-2.5 K for maintenance. Is it time to replace this car?
  • attavanattavan Member Posts: 12
    I recommend doing the repairs and keeping the QX4 with a goal of 200K miles. Your annual maintenance seems high. Have there been major repairs?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Does anyone know exactly how many catalytic converters there are in a 2002 QX4? Was getting a rear bracket repaired at Midas and they stated that my catatlytic converter was leaking bad to the point you could see it. They said since I have 77k and just short of 8 years since purchase it should be under emissions warranty. I checked and the emissions warranty says it will replace catatytic converters up to 8yrs/80k miles. I've got 3k and 3mos left.

Called and made an appointment with the dealer and they started to give me the runaround about certain catalytic converters being covered under that law and others that weren't. Something about pre and post catalytic converters???? Said they will have to look at it but it sounded like he had already made up his mind to deny warranty work. Went on to several auto parts sites and could only find mention of two converters....one on each side. Don't see any mention whatsover of pre and post converters. Am I getting the runaround?? Does anybody know?
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    We are at 116,000 miles plus change and so far we have had no major repairs, just the usual wear items like belts and hoses and a battery or two.
    I had a service writer at an Infiniti dealership tell me that there is still a demand for the QX4, despite high mileage. That may be true of Texans, but I wonder if it is true in other parts of the country.
  • sboisvert1sboisvert1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 Infiniti I30 and have loved it for the past 8 years. (bought it in 2002) It's now time to hand it down to my teenager and get myself a "new" vehicle. I found a 2002 QX4 with 133K on it. Dealer has agreed to sell for $7500. It has a few minor blemishes on the exterior, but it drives great and everything works. My concern is the high mileage and potential repairs. Anyone have advice on whether this would be a good deal? I'm also looking at a 2003 Lexus RX300. The price for the Lexus is $10,999 which is more that I want to spend. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have a 2000 RX300, but not sure how different it is from 2003 RX300. If they are very similar, then my comments on my 02 QX4 and 00 RX300 are: QX4 is noticeably stable when you turn, firmer, a little noisier overall especially at highway speed. MPG is lower. Interior attention to detail is slightly lower if you look at every trim pieces. The 4WD system works wonderfully.

RX300 engineer is smaller but acceleration from stop is stronger, brake is very strong (sometimes I have to apply less force at low speed, or I will feel too abrupt). At highway speed the overall noise seems to reach its 'saturation'. No matter what speed, say from 70 to 100 MPH, the overall noise is the same (I tried at 105 MPH for just a few seconds). Sound system is better (I don't even have the optional upgrade system).

The above is a quick comparison. If I were to choose one of them, to be honest I am not sure.
    Sorry it looks like I underscored almost the entire post.
  • lindakb293lindakb293 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 qx4 since we started having cool mornings it win't start until the sun warms it up after it starts it runs perfects and starts the rest of the day
  • yeezyyeezy Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I've just bought a 99 QX4 and there was rust on the tailgate where it is pointless to fix the rust spots. I was curious does any of the pathfinder tailgates around the same year would fit onto the QX4 ? reason im asking this is to lower cost for parts rather than being charged more for the brand label. If any one know the answer or is better at researching this information than me and have found an answer please reply. Much appreciated. Ive asked scrape yards and body shops ... all just told me to do my research as if they don't know when they should because that is their are of specialties.

THanks if any reply
  • laqx4guylaqx4guy Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, I just purchased a 2002 QX4 with 128k miles on it, and I am happy with my purchase. I needed a reasonably priced SUV to use my commuter car and I started to check out and read about the QX4 and everything I read convinced me that this was the SUV to get. It drives smooth, is stylish, and comfortable. Its clean inside/out. I will be checking in on this site to read about all that goes on withe this SUV as I plan to hold onto this one for as long as I can.
    You made a good choice. I am the original owner of a 2001 QX4 with 110,000 mi. The only problems I have had: the CD player and the catalytic converter mounts. The CD player is too expensive to fix and besides I don't use it. The mounts were repaired by reinforcing with stainless steel hose clamps (nominal cost). Good luck.
  • laqx4guylaqx4guy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks attavan. Yes, I immediately noticed that the CD player doesn't play my cd's very well. I cleaned my cd's but for some reason the unit skips a lot on every cd. I am not sure if its worth buying a cd player cleaning kit since it sounds like a malfunction cd unit is common in this SUV. I also have a rear VHS video entertainment system that is stock, but I can't get the video cassette player to power on. I don't know what else to check, any suggestions?
    Hi laqx4guy,

I don't have a VHS. My CD is completely inoperative. Couldn't find a repairman willing to fix it. They just want to replace the whole radio/cd/cassette assembly. Too expensive.
  • vitamin26vitamin26 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 2002 QX4 and am looking to customize my ride.

Any suggestions?
  • vitamin26vitamin26 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am a new QX4 owner (little over a year) and am looking to really customize my ride.

Anyone have some great suggestions or stories with pictures to share?

Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks,

Vitamin
  • scalcmanscalcman Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 QX4. Sometimes the heat has stopped blowing air out. Sometimes it works fine. The screen shows that it is blowing at highest level but nothing comes out. Any help with this would be great.
    A common problem with heaters of any make and model is when an empty supermarket plastic bag gets sucked up by the blower. Sometimes it can't be removed without disassembly of the duct.
  • atma97atma97 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2011
    Your car heater coil might be clogged with rust and scale that prevent hot coolant to flow through. You should back flush and clean the coolant system with a cleaner additive then refill it and bleak out the air in the system. It might be best to bring the car to a good mechanic to get this job done right. When the cooling system is cleaned, unclogged, and filled, you should feel hot air at the vent when setting temperature up to 72 F while engine running at normal temperature.
  • einsteinjseinsteinjs Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2011
    I actually had a similar problem and i found a replacement factory radio on ebay for $60. It works perfect and plugged right in.
    edited January 2011
    I know i need new shocks and struts but dont have the money to replace them. a lot of you have posted how this doesnt fix the problem anyways. My issue is the same, rocking back and forth... I have a 1999 QX4. I have found that the only time mine rocks is when the rpm's start to decrease (Somewhere between 2000 and 3000 rpm's, depending on my speed). its when im trying to slow down without taking my foot completely off the gas. I have had my transmission replaced from a pathfinder in a junk yard. Could this have something to do with it? I want to stress that it only happens at a certain point of the gas pedal or rpm's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ga_2001_qx4ga_2001_qx4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to get to the clock light so I can replace it???
  • atma97atma97 Member Posts: 47
    Either an Infinity Dealer shop or a Stereo installation guy can get it done for you. They should have a couple small thin bars to pull out the vent unit with the clock then access to the light bulb behind the clock.
  • magicmaster85magicmaster85 Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't sound like it would be the transmission, that should be fine. It could be cracked/loose bushings. Also have read in a lot of forums that the rear sway bars get bent or are loose. (Just thoughts). What kind of swaying? The entire vehicle? How much if you were to measure the part that sways the most, in distance, or some other type of example.
    it's the whole vehicle. Kinda like the shocks are bad? But I know it's not shocks. If the car were to be still, and there are people on either side pushing the car back and forth and it rocks back and forth. It's the same when I'm driving but only does it when I am trying to slow down and the gas pedal is at a certain point of release. It's hard to explain. Distance wise, probably a hlf foot on each side toward the top of the car. It is very noticeable and throws you left and right. I hope this gived you a better idea. Thanks for your help. Any more feedback is appreciated.
  • anonjohnscanonjohnsc Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 QX4 and I've been doing research into the swaying for a month or two now. Another discussion said it to be the sway bar bushings. A cheap and reletively easy fix. It is kinda scary going on the highway then it starts rocking back and forth.

Here's the post:
    I have an 02 QX. The problem you are having is the rear sway bar bushings. There are 4 of them. The cost to replace (local mechanic in Greenville SC) was about $500 and takes a few hours. Unfortunately for me, I have some mechanical abilities and replaced the rear shocks (didn't fix the problem) then the front struts (did not fix the problem) before I had to have a mechanic replace the bushings. They knew right away what the issue was because they have a pathfinder with the same issue in there a week prior.
  • aj_laaj_la Member Posts: 7
    I have a low milage 1997 QX4 with about 115,000 miles on it and I started to notice the same rattleming on right turns at speeds over 55-60 MPS. I did the shocks last year and it I
    Noticed it got better for a short time. Is my issue possibly the14 year old 115,000 bushings too or allignment/balance (wheel) related? :confuse:
    Ive been told that the bushing are fairly cheap to replace so it wouldnt hurt. but i am not sure. I havent had the time or the money to replace mine yet, so I still dont know whether that is my issue. When I can i definately will.
    Its most likely the blower motor. You can replace it at a car parts store for about $150. If you cant get the motor right away, the blower is right underneath the glove box. if you give it a kick or tap, it shouild start blowing. It is the round shaped part on the right side underneath the glove compartment.
  • azotos19azotos19 Member Posts: 2
    Been driving my 99 QX4 for about two years now with 120k on it. Recently been noticing that my steering wheel shakes when I go to brake. Has anyone else had a similar issue with their QX4? Does this just mean that it's time to replace my tires?

Also, my QX4 is notorious for making loud, screeching noises when I run my A/C & Heat. Anyone else have this problem?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Your description would lead me to think it's warped brake rotors...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• azotos19azotos19 Member Posts: 2
    warped brakes because of the shaking that my steering wheel makes?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Yes... you stated that it happens when you apply the brakes... Your steering wheel/rack is attached to the front wheels.. If they shimmy during braking, that will be transferred to the steering wheel..

That's the first place I would look, anyway..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dylan451dylan451 Member Posts: 3
    My QX4 had a similar issue. Try tapping the fan motor located on the lower passenger side of the footwell. If the fan turns back on, replace the blower motor. I'd get one from Nissan online as it has the correct connector and you won't have to splice the wires and fan. The replacement should take about 30 min.
  • tasertektasertek Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Qx4. The analog clock seems to be working but I can't set it. It is the type with a stem at the lower right side. I have been told that if you turn the stem it should set the clock, but it does not do anything. I assume that, even though there is no obvious damage, that someone has messed it up.

My question is: am I just doing something wrong and there is some trick to setting it with this stem. If not is there some place I can buy a clock.

Thanks
    I don't believe you're doing anything wrong. I just checked my own clock. I was able to change the setting by applying a twist motion. I also tried it by simultaneously pushing inward. Maybe your model is different. Did you try simultaneously pushing inward?

Attavan
  • tasertektasertek Member Posts: 2
    Yes I did try doing both simultaneously with no result. I think I have to assume the clock stem is messed up. Do you or anyone happen to know where I can buy a replacement for the clock?

Thanks
    Sorry, I don't.
  • billhufbillhuf Member Posts: 1
    I have had an 01 infiniti qx4 for two years and had to replace the 6 cd, am/fm, tape, radio three times and now will be the fourth time! The cd promps an "error 2" message, the cd's will not eject nor play. Researching this on the net, I have descovered that many, many others have had this same issue with the Nissan/Infiniti, Clarion/Bose Radio/6 cd changer on multiple occasions. Are there others in this forum that have had these same issues?
    I experienced the same problem. A cd is stuck and can't be ejected. Too expensive to repair. When I start the car I have to listen to a buzzing sound from the cd player. My one and only complaint on this car that I bought new.

Attavan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    May want to try the tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD discussion. Won't help a dead player but maybe you can get rid of the buzz.
  • 2001infiniti2001infiniti Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 QX4 with 181,000 miles. The car is in great shape considering the mileage, but I recently have experienced a slight vibration when accelerating. It's not bad - yet. Vibrations always get worse over time, so I want to deal with it ASAP. I would appreciate any advise on this.
    Thanks!
  • jr5280jr5280 Member Posts: 1
    What is the correct battery group number for the 2001 QX4 3.5L? Various battery sellers have indicated groups 24, 24F, 25 and 26.
    During normal driving, I can hear some light squeak from under the car. When I press down at four corners to check the suspensions, not squeak like that. I am guessing the car lacks lubrication somewhere, some pivot?
  • griffk66griffk66 Member Posts: 1
    My driver side power seat on my 2001 QX4 will not go back and foward...Infiniti says its $1200 to replace/install I cant see paying that kind of money on a vehicle worth about 6k and is 11years old...Has anyone else had this problem if so where did u find the replacement motor. Im is St. Louis Mo...btw I tried tapping on the motor and it didnt work..
  • mambomanmamboman Member Posts: 2
    It's encouraging to see QX4's running strong for over a decade, and how they are still very popular with almost "cult" status. I had a $38,000 2001 PF LE and loved it, but always figured I settled for the Nissan (at the time, the LE was already stretching my budget, the QX4 was another $6000). Fast forward 10 years later, I'm buying a 2002 QX4 with 40,000 miles on it for a little over $14,000. I know, I payed WAYY too much, right? I'm ok with paying a few thousand extra for an older QX4 that still looks new, instead of a $8000 one with 200,000+ miles on it. I bought it for my business, so that I don't have to mile-out my personal $40,000+ cars.

Anyway, I pick it up in a couple of days and I'm actually as excited about the QX4 as I was when I bought my first Porsche.
  • ccuserccuser Member Posts: 3
    I came across this forum while researching replacement car.
    I wanted to put good words on 2000 QX4 with 191k. As 9+yr owner of Qx4, it was reliable car to have. Never had any major break down. It is mechanical car (vs newer elec. sensor driven designs).

It is still running greatl. I enjoyed but it is time to refresh car.
  • pcteddybpcteddyb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 QX4 with 75k miles that is vibrating like crazy (you can see/feel in the wheel and feel in the seat) above 60. Below 60 good, 65-70 really bad, back to 60 good. Tires have 8500 miles on them (Michelin Latitude Tours). Recent Alignment. Recent Balancing (twice). This is a new thing happening since last rotation/alignment 2 weeks ago. Infiniti said they could not recreate the issue (don't know how that could be, but... Master Technician what can you say?). Anyone had this experience and what did the issue turn out to be?
    Hard to believe Infiniti could not recreate the symptom. I have a 2001 and have not experienced the vibration.
  • mambomanmamboman Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2002 QX4 between 60-70 MPH. The problem was solved by a simple wheel balancing. You mentioned "This is a new thing happening since last rotation/alignment 2 weeks ago". It sounds like the balancing weights came off a wheel during the rotation. I'd take the vehicle to a different tire/wheel shop and get them to spin the wheels on their balancer.