Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Nissan Frontier

2»

Comments

• driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Does anyone out there have anything to say about the undercovers? I know they are light, easy to instal and remove. Im in need of a top for my 07 Frontier Crew, but don't want a canopy.
    Thanks
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Not sure if I know what an 'undercover tonneau' is. Can you explain? I have the Nissan soft tonneau on my '06 SE Crew. Thanks.
    The Undercover is a brand name tonneau made in the U.S.
    Just punch in Undercover Tonneau and a web site should pop up. They're made of a composite material, very light, 58 lbs. for one that fits a full size pickup. Apparently, they are also very strong, will not warp, discolor, and are water tight.

Thanks!
  • salmonburgersalmonburger Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy one of these but need a little help deciding between an '07 and a new leftover '06. They are both SE 4x4 SB. There are equipped the same except the '07 has a hitch and is grey, the color I would prefer. The '06 is silver and is about $2,400 less out the door. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference. Any input is greatly appreciated.

G
  • shadow20shadow20 Member Posts: 6
    i bought a 07 se crew cab 4x4 v6 4.0
    and really i would have bought the 07 over the 06 just because
    of the way the dealership works the 06 will lose more of its value when you drive it off the dealer lot then if you buy a 07, but the equipment on both are almost the same,so personally i would go with the 07.
    It depends on how long you keep it. Driving the 06 off the lot, it's already a year and a half old. The 07 won't have that depreciation. For the extra $2400, I'd definitely go with the 07.
    I cannot recall any meaningful differences between '06 and '07 models in 'short bed' models; I'd probably go with the '06. To pay $2.5KL more for the '07 to somehow reduce depreciation is difficult to rationalize. It's odd that they still have an '06 on the lot. Is everything okay with it? Not a demo? Good luck with your choice.

Asa
    2006 SE CC 6-Speed Red Brawn
    You don't think it's a pay now or pay later scenario? I'm always thinking resale. To me, the 07 is worth at least $2500 more. Another option is to wait until the 08's arrive, and pick one up in the dead of Winter. I'd also be wondering about a leftover 06.

Mick
  • tent2tttent2tt Member Posts: 46
    I am planning to tow a 17' travel trailer or Scamp or Escape fifth wheel (both which are specially designed for compact trucks, so don't freak out on me and tell me it can't be done...these have a GVWR of under 5,000 lbs. and are often paired with Tacoma SR5s). Plan to take it on backroads, up hills, etc. (but I do not want a Titan or Tundra or other large truck...I just need to tow about 6-8 times a year, not all the time and like the compacts).

Test drove a Nissan Frontier NISMO 4 x 4 (AT) with a max tow rating of 6,100 lbs. and a Tacoma SR5 4 x 4 (AT) with a max tow rating of 6,300 lbs. I can tell that the Tacoma is a great truck, but strongly prefer the ride and smoother engine performance of the Frontier. However, the Tacoma can be ordered with a tow package which includes: 130 AMP alternator, transmission oil cooler, engine oil cooler, heavy duty battery, and a 7 pin hardwired hitch receiver with converter.
    The Frontier doesn't offer this option. Only two Nissan salespeople have bothered to note down what the Tacoma offers to see if the Frontier can be similarly spec'd. What I have been told is that the Nissan dealership can install all the same options EXCEPT the 130 AMP alternator. They said the only option with that would be to install an aftermarket 130 AMP alternator, which they do NOT recommend because it might create electrical problems.

I have two questions:

1. Are the Nissan dealerships telling me the truth about being able to install the engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler?
    2. How crucial is having a 130 AMP alternator for the towing use I have detailed above? Will it hurt me to not have it? Would having a heavy-duty battery paired with a non-130 AMP alternator create any problems?
    3. Why would an aftermarket 130 AMP alternator possibly cause electrical problems?

Thanks to anyone out there who can explain this... I am anxious to buy, but want to be sure I know what I am getting (or not getting)!
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    3. Why would an aftermarket 130 AMP alternator possibly cause electrical problems?

Because the alternator has everything to do with the electrical system!
    I guess insalled correctly nothing causes problems but an aftermarket alternator probably voids engine and electrical warranty.

How much power does your camper need? You should compute that first.
    I am definately NOT an expert, but here is my opinion anyway...The Frontier alternator is 110 amps. THe difference between the 2 is [non-permissible content removed]. If you were going to upgrade you would go way larger than just 110 to a 130. WHat type of equipment are you powering?
    From what you are saying, it sounds as though I don't need to worry about the alternator amperage being 110 on the Frontier (I didn't know what it was on the Frontier, because none of the salesfolks could tell me) and 130 on the Tacoma. The max tow weight hauled would be 5,500 lbs. Most likely closer to 5,000. That leaves a 600-1100 margin between the stated max tow rate of the Frontier (NISMO 4 x 4 Crew Cab = 6,100 Max tow). I know nothing about alternators, so appreciate your feedback. Now I just need to confirm whether or not the Frontier has a built-in Transmission and Engine Oil cooler... three places said NO, but they could put it on afterwards, two places said it's built in to the Frontier automatics already.
    my 07 se crew cab came with a tow package standard on it with the 7pin connector
    Thanks for your response. Sounds as though they package them differently for different areas then, because here in AZ they don't include the tow hitch as standard (in fact, if you go to the Nissan website, it doesn't show as standard there either...wonder if that changes depending on location too)?

I have called about seven different dealerships here, spoken with sales, service and parts departments and none of them know whether or not the Frontier has a built in supplemental engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler. I can't believe that no one would know--how do they repair vehicles if they don't know what is in them or not? I would expect that at least the parts department would be able to look up a 07 Nissan 4 x 4 automatic and tell me yes or no and what size alternator.

If for some reason the Frontier does not come with either (the hitch can be ordered separately), I am wondering if I should get those installed aftermarket to ensure that the engine and transmission stay cool when towing-- all the websites dedicated to travel trailer towing highly recommend having these, so do I just plan on getting those installed if needed or wait and see how the truck does?

Also, I loved the Fosgate audio system, but do not want to be forced to buy the sunroof and roof rack and side airbags too--here, they force you to get all of them just for the nice stereo system! Has anyone been able to get one from Nissan without having to also pay for all that other stuff, or have you gotten a comparable aftermarket one that fits the Frontier stereo opening?

Thanks for any advice.
    i didn't want all that extra stuff on my frontier also and the after market stereos are far better then the ones they put in them , another thing is that roof rack i think it is so ugly i wouldn't have bought my truck if that came on it. but if you want a good stereo i would go with alpine or kenwood.
    That's a good roof rack setup IMO. Carries my work ladders beautifully. Beefy and strong. My only concern was it was reported that the rack whistled at above 40m.p.h. It hasn't happened to me. And the Rockford-Fosgate is all I'll ever need or want at my age.
    Love this truck!
  • randyfromderandyfromde Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone-

I'm a large guy (6'5", 265 lbs) and I'm interested in purchasing a new truck. I've currently got a '96 Dodge Dakota, which fits but is getting up there in miles.

I've test driven every midsized pickup, and the Frontier is the one that fits the best. However, it'd be better if the seat was about 2" lower than the lowest setting allows (or the default in the SE). Right now, I get slight vision blockage by the sun visor, although it is tolerable. I just need to lean forward a bit to see the traffic light when stopped.

Does anyone make a lower profile seat that isn't one of those weird racing things? Has anyone heard of someone modifying a 2005+ Frontier in this manner? Where would I go to get this done (assuming it can be)?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

BTW, I already tried the Titan and the Toyota Tundra, they're no better in the vision department.
    I have a Nissan NISMO 4x 4 CC with the (re)moveable bed extender. Two questions:

1. The dealer told me that with the tailgate locked, no one can remove and steal the bed extender, but I was easily able to remove the bed extender with the tailgate locked. Am I missing something in terms of securing it so it cannot be removed?

2. I want a two or three panel HARDSIDE lightweight, removable and lockable tonneau cover that works with both the Utilitrac and the moveable bed extender. The one in the Nissan Accessories catalog looks good, but I am sure it's very pricey. Has anyone bought anything like this and how do you like it?

3. Has anyone found an aftermarket product that really does improve the mpg and torque? I saw an ad for a very extensive-looking exhaust/intake system that claims to improve gas mileage by up to 15% and increase the torque too. What works? What doesn't?

Thanks!
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    See my post in the Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier. I told about the cover and other things I did to get better gasoline mileage. All I can say is that it certainly is nice to be able to lock my bed up and not have to worry about someone stealing the contents.

I do not have a bed extender so I cannot help you with that question.

OkieScot
    In regard to thefy, no you're no missing anything -- there's no theftproof mounting method. You can make it difficult to steal by threading a bicycle chain around it and a cleat, then fix the cleat in the rail with the end-of-rail fasteners you ought to have.
  • cubcadetcubcadet Member Posts: 6
    Just replaced my 1994 with new frontier, old one had 136,000. Kept with what works. Phil
  • weehookerweehooker Member Posts: 11
    I believe the bed devider (not extender)won't come out with the gate locked. On either accessory though, if you took the time, you could unscrew the main part from the mount. They may get the gate but not the whole unit. Those little track blocks help here too.
    FWIW, I made a 10' vinyl covered 1/8" steel cable that I can fish through either accessory (and bikes, yaks etc) to lock them down.

Tonneau, it's not hard sided but you should look at teh Access roll tops. Lifetime warrenty, don't interfear with teh utility tracks, 10 sec open/close, they lock from the inside AND they make an adapter to allow use of the bed extender. I love mine ( Lorado version).

My 07 has less than 3K miles on it and I'm already averaging 19-20 mpg on regular gas (1/3 highway, 1/3 stop and go, 1/3 rural). The trick is to get it into 5th gear and keep the RPM's low whenever you can. The sweet spot seems to be @ 40-65 MPH and 1200-2000 RPM. Heck , that's as good as my 4 cyl , 5 spd 01 Tacoma got all day long. :P
  • weehookerweehooker Member Posts: 11
    I believe the bed divider (not ex tender)won't come out with the gate locked. On either accessory though, if you took the time, you could unscrew the main part from the mount. They may get the gate but not the whole unit. Those little track blocks help here too.
    FWIW, I made a 10' vinyl covered 1/8" steel cable that I can fish through either accessory (and bikes, yaks etc) to lock them down.

Tonneau, it's not hard sided but you should look at the Access roll tops. Lifetime warranty, don't interfere with the utility tracks, 10 sec open/close, they lock from the inside AND they make an adapter to allow use of the bed ex tender. I love mine ( Lorado version).

My 07 has less than 3K miles on it and I'm already averaging 19-20 mpg on regular gas (1/3 highway, 1/3 stop and go, 1/3 rural). The trick is to get it into 5th gear and keep the RPM's low whenever you can. The sweet spot seems to be @ 40-65 MPH and 1200-2000 RPM. Heck , that's as good as my 4 cyl , 5 spd 01 Tacoma got all day long. :P
    Just turned 2000 love it.
  • dave_pettydave_petty Member Posts: 7
    I have driven in two moderate rain storms since buying my Fronty in July. Is it me or do the wipers operate too slowly? In all the cars I have previously owned it was very rare for me to use the high speed on the wipers. With the Fronty even the highest speed seems too slow. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Maybe I need to slow down :)
    I haven't noticed a sweep rate that is irritating, but then again it hasn't rained in my area for many, many months. I'm thinking about removing the blades and putting them away for safekeeping. :)
  • bitembitem Member Posts: 1
    has any lifted a 07 Frontier and if so, how hard was it and what did you use. Do you have a web site for good prod. ?
    Don't know much about lifting, but I think Calmini, Fabtech and PRG make Frontier lift kits I think. There are probably others out there too.
  • maxamaxa Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2007 Nissan Frontier SE CC LB 4x4 yesterday. I love the power, interior, exterior, and bought it with several packages included for $24,800 after paying for all the taxes etc. I drove it home - about 8 miles and put it in the garage as I had several appointments to go to. I took it out of the garage this morning and discovered a 12" crack in the windshield on the passenger side. A rock chip caused the damage. Has anyone else had this type of damage to their windshield so soon after a chip? I own a business that has 9 vehicles and have never had a chip cause a huge crack in one day- usually it takes months for a chip to grow which gives me time to have it repaired. I also noticed 5 areas of the paint on the hood that are chipped down to the primer- it has a clear bra which protected that area, but nowhere else on the hood. What the heck do I need to do to protect this paint? It is Red Brawn which I knew would be a problem, but I never dreamed it would be this bad after 15 minutes of driving.... Should I just take a hammer to the body of this truck to break it in????
    Buying a set of step rails night help a small bit; they serve to protect some areas from stones flying up from the road. I've had my '06 SE CC for 10,500 Miles with no appreciable paint damage thus far.

Some owners have added their own 3M clear bra to areas. This manufacturer makes a very nice kit:

www.invisiblemask.com

Hope this helps. Can't help you on the windshield; I've had them break all sorts of ways. My insurance covers windshields 'free'; it's a statewide policy provision.
  • maxamaxa Member Posts: 4
    Asa, thanks for your quick reply. The dealer "Tynan's Nissan" agreed to replace the windshield at their expense. The new windshield was replaced about an hour ago at my home. The installer says that he has seen a lot of new pickup and van windshields crack quickly in the past few years- a problem he had not seen before in his 35 years installing windshields. I am picking up a bug shield today to protect the portion of the hood that is not protected by the clear bra. Does anyone here have a suggestion for the best wax to apply to protect these trucks painted surfaces? Thanks.

Btw- The dealer already applied to the invisible shield to the fenders. Thanks for the suggestion of step rails- I might do that if I notice lower body damage.
  • kvhkvh Member Posts: 2
    I had a 07 King Cab that the front left cat shield would vibrate just before each time it shifted gears. It took about a month to get a replacement at Nissan dealer and that fixed the shield noise. I sold it 3100 miles and bought a new crew cab 07 and love it. The center arm rest is not long enought is the bigest complaint. KVH
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Hi,

My old Toyota is worn out, and I have GOT to get a new truck in a few months. :sick:

It seems that Frontier's are hard to find much info about on the Web. I guess they aren't big sellers, is that true?

Is the reliability anywhere near Toyota's? How is your late model Fronty holding up so far? Are the automatic tranny's reliable, and are they 4 speed or 5 speed?

I said I would never get another 4cyl pickup, but dang, the gas prices are awful. Does the 4cyl peppy, and how is the gas mileage (automatic)?

What ballpark price can I expect to pay for a Fronty with Crew Cab, and not too many bells and whistles? It will be used as basic transportation, and occasionally hauling "stuff", but probably no towing.

Thanks in advance,
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I cannot answer all of your questions but will do what I can. I have a 2005 KC LE which is the V-6. I have the 5 speed automatic transmission. I have had no problems with my truck so far, but I baby it a bit and keep it in a garage. I have a little under 12,000 miles on it right now.

The transmission does not shift as smoothly as I would like, but other than that there have not been any problems with it. The biggest disappointment in the truck for me is in the paint chipping so easily, but that is a problem with most automotive paint these days.

I had a 2000 Nissan XE KC which is the 4 cylinder model. I kept it 5 years and had no problems with it at all. The only reason I traded it in was because of the lack of power. I got about 20 mpg on it no matter how I drove it or what kind of load I had on it. It just did not have enough power for me.

The V-6 has plenty of power and I drive like the little old man that I am so I am currently getting about 19.5 in combination driving. It will get 23 mpg on the road if I keep it around 65 mph. The faster I drive it the worse the mpg.

If you get a 4X4 your mileage will be worse and if you have a heavy foot you will probably be down in the 14 to 15 mpg area.

The only other complaint I have with my truck is the HEAVY tailgate. I am 70 years old and only weigh 120 pounds so it is a heft for me to raise the tailgate.

I would definitely buy another one if I were in the market and I think I would stay with the V-6 since I don't put a lot of miles on my truck.

I have not driven the new XE, but I think they get closer to 26 mpg, but I still like having plenty of power when I need it. I load my truck down fairly often as I enjoy gardening so I buy lots of supplies and materials for my yard.

Good luck on your quest.

OkieScot
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Now I'm finding out that the 4cyl is not available with automatic. Rats!

Guess I'll have to look at another Toyota.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    You CAN get a King Cab with a 4-cylinder Auto - and it's a 5-speed. With a Crew Cab, it's V-6 only.

I had a 1993 XE King Cab (a stick), and it was fine for me and my light hauling. The new design has a MUCH bigger rear seating are - 2 kids would be fine back there.

I've driven 2 different XE King Cabs - one stick, one auto. With 2 aboard and nothing in the bed, it's fine - not quick, but not labored at any speed up to 70 mph.

Because I needed to meet a company policy and NOT have a truck, I ended up with an '07 4-cylinder Highlander. It's fine for cruising with 4 aboard (and pretty full of stuff) at 75 mph, and never gets less than 20 mpg - sometimes up to 25.

Modern fuel injection and variable valve control make modern I-4's feel like the V-6's of the early 90's. You really ought to try driving one to see if you can live with it. It'll get you where you're going, and get 2-3 more mpg doing it. With a 21 gal tank, refilling with 1.1 gal left, that 20 gallons you burned will get you another 40-60 miles with every tank, for free. You might find that insurance is cheaper, as well.

If I didn't have a work policy against driving a truck, I'd be in an '08 SE King Cab 4-cylinder right now.
    maxa, I should have mentioned too that Nissan sells "splashguards" (I call them mudflaps), one pair for the front and a different pair for the back. You probably have these, but if you don't, they're inexpensive and a piece of cake to put on.

Glad your windshield is whole again!
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I had the 2000 model year Tacoma (2x4 Prerunner) and used that as a comparison against the 2007 Crew Cab 2x4 I rented through Enterprise rent a car.
    I was very impressed with the truck. Very comfortable ride and the interior material, design was reasonable for a truck. I thought the bed also had enough room especially since I could place the truck in my garage (i like my vehicles in garages when possible). Overall I'd place the Frontier ahead of the 2007 Tacoma mostly due to exterior looks. I believe the Tacoma looks like a tadpole from the front view and those wheel wells don't strike me as sexy or muscular. For what its worth that's my 2 cents in favor of the Frontier. :shades:
    Oh, if we want to talk about full size Nissan vs Toyota then the vote goes for the latest Tundra, sexy devil in deed. ;)
    I thought the bed also had enough room especially since I could place the truck in my garage (i like my vehicles in garages when possible).

Me too and Frontier also shines in that department, being line 1-1/2 inches shorter than Tacoma and near 2 inches narrower than Tacoma. Every inch counts in my garage and it's nice to be able to walk behind the truck and not worry about door dents from my wife's car. The only narrower midsizer is Colorado, but Colorado is longer.
  • hizzoner3hizzoner3 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me the tire "wheel hub" diameter of a 2006 Frontier. I have aftermarket wheels on it and the wheel hub bore is larger than the actual truck hub. I am trying to order "Wheel hub centric rings" and I need the actual truck hub size (in millimeters)

Thanks for the help
    My '06 (crew cab)Frontier seems to have a very stiff suspension. Is there any that will soften that up and if so how. I bought is with after market tires and wheels (265/50R 20). Will standard tires & wheels make it softer?
    If you have an '06 Frontier Nismo, it has a stiffer suspension because it's engineered for off-road use. The Nismo is equipped with Blistein shocks; replacing them with something softer might be an economical start. If you don't have the Nismo, I'm not sure what more can be done. I don't know about your tire size and its effect; perhaps someone else can help with that. I have a stock '06 SE 4x2 and I'm quite happy with the ride.
    Mine too is a 4X2 and no it is not a Nismo, but it is very stiff. Perhaps I need to swap the wheels and tires for a stock set. Thanks anyway.
  • tokouchitokouchi Member Posts: 1
    spray undercoating on sheild. The one that can handle heat
  • obisfanobisfan Member Posts: 1
    I purchased 2007 Frontier new, 11.07. 4 cyl, 5 spd. man. The current mileage is 128,500. At approx. 50,000 miles the fan clutch failed, I replaced it again at about 90,000, the truck is going into the shop Wed. 11.18 for a third fan clutch. Earlier this year at about 100,000, the differential started howling. My mechanic dis-assembled & found no sign of unusual wear.

Anyone else experiencing these problems?
This discussion has been closed.