Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If someone wants to buy a Honda, they will buy a Honda. No surprise there. If they are looking to buy a small car and are willing to consider different brands, then the Accent and Fit are both worth considering IMO.

-- former owner of two Civics
  • vermonter16vermonter16 Member Posts: 29
    Yeah, I guess you are right. Although a current Honda and Toyota owner I am definitely open... I want a small car darnnit! I wish they had the Accent out now though I am afraid that the gas mileage might kill me.
    How many miles a year do you drive and over what kind of roads (i.e. city, suburbs, highway)?
    I drive about 20 - 25,000 miles a year....highway easy flowing in the morning...stop and go in the afternoon... and then regular city/suburb driving on the weekends.
  • njdevil1njdevil1 Member Posts: 45
    we own our first honda a 2005 civic ex se. we also have owned 9 hyundais- our first a 1988 excel gls that had no major problems with the almost 200,000 miles we put on it. we currently have a 2005 elantra gt which we love driving more than the civic. we agree people think honda are super great cars and hyundais arent so they don't even consider trying out one. if we like the 2007 elantra we are thinking of getting rid of our civic.
    With that kind of driving you might consider a used Prius or Civic hybrid. Would cost not much more than a Fit Sport AT. If you can wait, the Accent hybrid will be here next year.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I have driven both. The Hyundai is well, it feels a lot like the Mazda and the Focus and a couple of others. A nice car.

But all of them are like micro Buicks. Cushy feel in a straight line, but painfully cheap when it comes to any serious maneuvers or twisties. A tiny car should handle like a go-kart, IMO, since it has little mass and decent power. Most are adequate at best.

The Mini is widely touted as having superb handling. The Fit matches it point-for-point, so it's really a huge difference that no amount of accessories will compensate for. Imagine if Mazda made a $14K stipped-down version of their Miata/MX-5. I don't care what it's lacking in amenities - it still would be a superb car.

Compare a $14K Fit plus 4K in options and upgrades aftermarket, of course, to a base Mini for ~$18K. It's made to be tweaked with to match the Mini for less money, and in Japan and Europe, it's very common for people to do this. Like the Scions, you get a basic car. With a plethora of add-ons if you want.(trust me, they're coming)
    I have considered the hybrids but I've talked to some folks in this area who have them and their gas mileage doesn't seem to be that great. I've run some figures based on their numbers and ahh, I just can't get it to quite add up. Plus, I need a car that I can throw on possibly 100,000 miles in the next four years and then be done with it - I don't know if I'd like to get into hybrid territory knowing that I'm going to pound the mileage.

I wish I could wait but everything hinges on my husband getting a different job which he is looking for right now. I might need a car in two weeks or two months... We commute together right now and it's a pain since we work in two different locations but if he changes jobs there is just no possible way to continue it...which is kind've a pain too...have to spend more on a vehicle and on gas... Blah....

Honestly....shhhh(keep this quiet since I'm not on the right forum)....I would consider the yaris and the accent (but only if the accent gets better this year in the gas mileage category).... I like the fit even though I don't think it's the greatest looking car...out of my price range....
    Does anyone know if the Accents rattle as much as the Hondas? With all of the Honda's I've had...they rattle in the plastic...even on my old accord. Now on my most recent civic....rattle, rattle, rattle....
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I can definitely say that with my old 2001 Hyundai Accent GLS, my sister's 2001 Elantra and mom's 2004 Hyundai Elantra, there is close to 0% rattle in those cars. I went over bumps and rough pavements and the cars' structure feels like its 1 piece.

Its weird that the Nissan Maxima and the Acura TSX which are higher end cars have creaks, squeaks and rattles. I remember escaping to the Accent for some peace and quiet! :)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Every car line has rattles in some of its cars.

Oh but wait! Not Hyundai. They don't cause you definitely said that they don't.

I'm glad that's settled.
    Dude, I only speak for my cars and ownership experience and I thought that was specific. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a Hyundai as I just bought a Honda Fit. I think you are just biased against Hyundai that you can't believe a car company that used to have a bad track record can redeem themselves by actually paying attention in making rattle free cars.

I did not comment on Honda as I have no recent experience with their model line. I do comment on the Acura TSX and Nissan Maxima, check their forums and the creaks/rattles speak for themselves.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    We have a 2002 Civic coupé that has some rattling in the dashboard. I can say with 225 miles on my Fit so far that I have not heard a single rattle (and I have gone on some very bumpy roads). I have always had Hondas, and even those had some sort of odd noise, but nothing with the Fit yet. Knock on wood!
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    but i own a 2005 Hyundai Elantra and there is nothing close to a rattle in it. The Mazda Protege 5 I had before it was rattle free for the 2 1/2 years I had it before it was totalled. My wife's Civic has had plenty of rattles almost from day one, but it is a very good car otherwise.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    rubbery shifter in the Accent and loose handling. They give the Rio5 better marks with handling at least.

The Honda Fit wins in a landslide with them. It does the handling thing right and has lots of available storage. I don't like it's looks though I don't hate it's looks. I just dislike them enough to avoid buying a Fit, so I guess that counts.

In this segment it's the Toyota Yaris sedan and the Kia Rio LX and Kia Rio5 for me as the winners. The competition is causing some great new cars to be available to us here in the States.

I think that the Yaris sedan sways me with it's neat looks and legenday Toyota quality, though, anymore, Kia is right up there with them. Stay tuned.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    This is a very entertaining forum. Wish I could chip in my 2 cents about a Hyundai, but I haven't driven one since 2000; that Accent was inferior to the other cars we test drove. (Protege, Echo). My husband works around heavy machinery, so wanted a quiet car. Then, the Accent was deafening. However, Phil Edmonston, who writes Lemon Aid, my bible to buying used. loves the steadily improving Hyundais, great used buys. His bias is towards safe, cheap and reliable transportation. By the way, he loves the Echo as a best used buy, can't wait until he reviews the Fit- magic seats and all.
    I drove the 2006 Accent GLS and it felt like a very solid car, no rattles or squeaks, and it was very quiet for a small car. But if like some people here (won't name names) you think I might be biased for Hyundai because I have owned some, read the reviews of the Accent and you will see they agree it is a solid, quiet car.

As for long-term, my 5-1/2 year old Elantra, which is a six-year-old design, is as solid and rattle-free as when I bought it. The only noise is there is a cold-weather buzz in the dash that pops up sometimes and has defied multiple attempts to find it.

In contrast, when I drove a new '05 Accord EX, there was a rattle in the passenger-side B pillar area. Also, when I drove in a co-worker's nearly-new '01 Civic a few years ago, there were multiple rattles. I have driven some new Civics myself over the past two generations and they did not rattle. Haven't driven the Fit yet but I expect it will be a very solid car since it is a proven design (lots of time to work out any issues) and made in Japan.
    I have driven both. The Hyundai is well, it feels a lot like the Mazda and the Focus and a couple of others. A nice car. But all of them are like micro Buicks.

If you think the Mazda3 or even the Focus drives like a Buick, you either have no idea what a Buick drives like, your sense of perception is way off, or you are lying about having driven these cars. There is no way that the Mazda3 and Focus feel anything like a Buick. Both cars are widely regarded by automotive experts as two of the best-handling small cars, period. You are entitled to your opinion but IMO you are way, way, way off on this point. Here is an idea: some afternoon go drive, back-to-back-to-back, a Buick (your choice), a Mazda3, and a Focus. Maybe throw in the Accent since you think that drives like a Buick also. I think you will agree these are not comparable cars in driving quality. Either that, or Buick has done a marvelous job in recent years in improving their ride and handling so they are comparable with sharp-handling cars like the Mazda3 and Focus.
    I believe Plekto can not get past the fact that cars are beyond just "handling" superiority. Its kind of nice he compares it to the Mini which is very flattering for the Fit although aside from handling, I don't see where else it compares - definitely not the accessories dept. My brother has a Mini and it is a go-kart to the T. I test drove the Fit and it "kinda" feels like a go-kart due to its short wheelbase. Handling is good but I was concentrating more on the radio and the dash. Haah. I do wonder too, if the Fit handles so well, why does it bounce a bit more? Driving my Mazda 3i after the Fit test drive, I felt that my Mazda is tighter and more in control.

Plekto, have you driven a Buick before? I don't see many Buicks here so I'm not sure what car/model you are talking about.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Hyundai warranty being cut in half when sold because I don't plan on selling it within the warranty period?

Am I the only one who plans on keeping his car for the entire life of the financing, and in fact, for as long as possible, so doesn't have to worry about depreciation?

And, frankly, while size-wise and style-wise the comparison is between the Accent and the Fit, it seems like the Elantra and the Fit is a more accurate price comparison. And the Spectra5 versus the Fit in terms of price on the Kia/Hatch side.

The Rio impressed me most in its price; way less than what the fit is going for now.
    No, you are not the only one. One of the reasons I am attracted to Hyundais is that I am in the midst of a cycle where I want to buy 3 long-term cars (10-11 years at least) that I will hand off to each of my 3 kids for school after I drive them for a few years. So the long warranty is a big plus, and I don't care diddly about resale (even though I unexpectedly sold my '01 Elantra and got a good price for it).

I agree with you on the price-wise comparisons, but I think most of the world tends to compare the Accent to the Fit instead of larger cars like the Elantra, based on size of car. Price-wise, the Elantra will be moving up the scale with the '07 model, and we may lose the hatchback for awhile. And the Rio5 is actually fairly close to the Fit, e.g. nearly $16k for a loaded automatic, so I think that is a pretty good comparo to the Fit.
    Note I said "micro Buick" :)

That is, it's cushy, adequate, and quiet enough - but it is also like comparing an Accord to a LaCrosse. One is just a bit better put together and haldels a bit better as well. The thing is - Hyundai IS a good car. But it's just not as good as the Fit overall, and the manual gearbox and better suspension, plus the rear seats - those are huge plusses for the Fit. I'd take those three over leather seats or half of the nonsense on most cars these days.
    OK, but you also said the Mazda3 and Focus are "micro Buicks." Try that in the Mazda3 discussion and they will be looking for a rope for you--or if you are lucky they will figure you have taken leave of your senses.

Better stick, better handling, better cargo versatility--all big plusses of the Fit over the Accent. The Accent doesn't have leather seats, but that 8-way adjustable driver's seat is worth a lot of points in my book. I don't want to drive a car for 5-6 years if I'm not comfortable in the driver's seat, I don't care how well the thing handles and how many ways the rear seats fold.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Fit's a great car, no question about it - so is the Accent (wait for the SE, which no doubt, would, be on par in the handling category, at least). I am surprised, though, for your comments crediting Hyundai - kudos for moving away from bashing.

Anyway, like I said, I'd wait for the SE version of the Accent, a hatchback. Likely one of the best handling cars in the class, I look forward to comparing the Accent SE vs. the Fit, and others (since comparing the Fit to the current Accent GLS - sedan isn't exactly fair, wouldn't you say??)
    Q: can someone from Mexico look up the cost of a replacement driver's seat? That's a sure-fire way to get the height adjuster. :)
    That is a good idea. While they are at it, maybe they could look up the price of a:

* locking gas cap or fuel filler door
    * Remote locking (if you have a base Fit)
    * Driver's armrest
    * Floor mats
    * Alloys (if you have a base Fit)
    * Side moldings

Interesting thing is, in the Fit discussions there are folks looking around for these things. I guess the sharp handling, slick shifter, and origami rear seats aren't quite enough. ;)
    Wheels are a cinch. Any 14 inch Civic wheel will work.
    Side moldings - get from Europe/U.K.
    Seat - Mexico or Europe
    Locking gas cap - NAPA Auto Parts. $8
    Armrest - aftermarket. Possibly available soon from Honda as well)
    Floor mats - hardly an issue. Honda sells some nice all-season rubberized ones that work great.

The others - you'll have to live with. OTOH, the same could be said about the Mini. Thre are somethings that the convertable gets you that the base model doesn't. Same with the Fit - though cruise control and a better radio aren't a huge deal to most people.
    Yes, it's a cinch. It's only money.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I would guess the Accent is a terribly un-fun car to drive

You would guess wrong, the wifes daily drive is a 2002 Accent and the thing is pretty fun to drive. Its nimble and can take turns faster than I really expected. I would suggest test driving one.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

And that's a car design that debuted in 1999! The new Accent is even better.
    And it just doesn't wear well or handle kids or hauling stuff as well as other cars. Not for long-term use.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that. I have a 2000 Elantra wagon that I use as a work horse. I am always using it to haul stuff, dirt, bricks, firewood, furniture, you name it. Been doing that for the last 5 and a half years (which includes 5 midwest winters) and well over 130K miles and it has held up very well. It definitely has been used hard and for the long term and has held up great.

And every person that I have known who owned one - they used that warranty every other month.

Every person you ever know that has owned a fit used their warranty every other month? wow that leaves the Fit off my list.

Now my wifes Accent at 85K miles has never needed any warranty work, nor has my daughters Elantra at (I think) 95K miles. The first thing I needed done on my Elantra was an exhaust manifold replaced at 131K miles. Guess what? Hyundai replaced it for free.

Yep Hyundai has proven themselves to me. And FWIW my SIL that was a die hard Honda fan is seriously looking at a Hyundai for his next car. Gotta love it.

1-Don't let the small size of the package deceive you: the car is Very spacious inside: plenty of headroom and legroom both in front and back,

How is the shoulder room on it. I have a large frame and while i do find many small cars having adequate head and leg room they sadly lack in shoulder room.

• hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "Every person you ever know that has owned a fit used their warranty every other month? wow that leaves the Fit off my list."

Sorry to sneak into the conversation, but I don't think he was referring to the Fit. It hasn't even been in the US long enough to justify that...what? 2 weeks?
    Nice attempt at turning it around/a bit of sarcasm. :)

But honestly, you need that warranty once it gets more than about 3-4 years old. All the little stuff that annoys you. Kind of like GM and Ford cars - the engines are bulletproof, but the interior literally falls apart as you drive it.
    Oh right. The interior of my nearly six year old Hyundai looks like the day I bought it, except for a worn spot on the driver's floot mat. Try owning a Hyundai for a few years, then comment on how the interior "falls apart as you drive it."
    I know it was refering to the structure of his writing, since he was talking about the Fit then started with that without changing the subject matter.

As I said my wagon has been a work horse carrying stuff around and the interior looks great for a car with 135K on it.

Kind of like GM and Ford cars - the engines are bulletproof, but the interior literally falls apart as you drive it.

GM and Ford engines are bulletproof? Plekto, you are losing me here. Hahah. From Buick and your misunderstanding of Hyundais. Cmon, I'm starting to agree with you with the base Mini/Fit comparison but above should be "literally everything falls apart with GM and Ford cars".

Growing up, we've owned GMs (Caprice Classic, Monte Carlo, Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire) and they all had something in common. There was always something wrong with the car from overheating to engine stalling to knocking to transmission to CEL. Whatever issues you do not come across owning a Japanese car. I'm not even gonna start with Ford.

The Hyundai Accent/Elantra is not going to beat the Honda Fit in a drag race but for daily purposes, its quieter, has a better convenience package, as reliable and has a better warranty.
    Growing up, we've owned GMs (Caprice Classic, Monte Carlo, Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire) and they all had something in common. There was always something wrong with the car from overheating to engine stalling to knocking to transmission to CEL. Whatever issues you do not come across owning a Japanese car. I'm not even gonna start with Ford.

Growing up we had Fords and my parents put 250K on a 59 Ford. All the GM's I have had performed perfectly upto and beyond 100K.

The Hyundai Accent/Elantra is not going to beat the Honda Fit in a drag race

Are you sure? The HP torque and weight numbers are almost the same on both cars. Anyway if Hyundai ever starts selling the Accent SR there will be no question on that.

My father and my uncles and myself... We've owned 13 or 14 GM cars in the last 30 years. One was a dud - a mid 90's Century my uncle owned. The rest were fine, though. Now, they've mostly moved on to imports, because they are older and have more money. They are going for the small to midsize luxury aspect, since Caddys are boats and GM makes nothing small and truly luxurious currently.

1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme - Neat car - crazy powerful. Had the optional 350 V8. Still driving around Los Angeles today. Hard to miss, since the paintshop repainted it the wrong color - came out bright dayglow turquoise. See it every so often driving around.
    1981 Buick Regal - total piece of junk power-wise, but made it to 150K before it was sold. Ran for another 5 years after that.
    1984 Buick Regal - Checked DMV a while back - still registered. Something like 250K miles and climbing.
    1987 Buick Lesabre - 175K miles when it was sold 3 months ago.
    1988 Park Ave - my sister still drives 60 miles a day round trip to work and back. Has over 200K on it and still averages 25mpg, combined.
    1998 Park Ave Ultra - Still running. A huge boat, but has fewer problems than my uncle's 4 year old Camry.
    2002 LeSabre - very nice car, if bigger than my mother wants. Maintainence on it is virtually nothing.

Of coruse my mother wants something smaller and easier to park as she's retired now and smaller cars are easier to drive. She's got her eye on a 2-3 year old IS300 and I can't fault her for the choice. She also likes the smaller Accuras :)

Me? I got tired of plastic and went retro old school. Driving a 1967 Mercedes and loving it. Nothing to break, nothing to get in the way of the driving experience, no plastic, no computers, no smog checks...

I've spent a total of $30 for one oil change(long story - requires a special tool and only the dealer knew how to do it(doesn't screw in like newer ones)) in the last six months. But I have my eye on a Lucerne V8 in 2-3 years when you can get one for about 12-15K. Fine automobile. Drives like a Caddy but at thousands less.

GM engines(most but not all, though) are fine. Sensors and such aren't the same as having to have the thing rebuilt. Talk to my friend who owned several Fords about that sort of nonsense. Then again, I have a friend who had to have his early 90's 4-Runner's engine rebuilt three times in the last ten years., so even Toyotas aren't free from problems.

Getting back to the original topic, though...
    The Fit is faster 0-60 than the Accent. By a decent margin. 8.9 seconds and handles like a base Mini. It's definately not underpowered.
    I read 9.3 seconds for the fit which is only slightly better than the older Accents I found.

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Wait for the Accent 3door to drop and then compare 0-60, if you really want to; Accent 3door is ultra-light compared to the rest of the class - APPLES to APPLES would be more fair - wouldn't you say?

At any rate, I am not exactly sure if 0-60 is a big decision factor during purchase of these sub-compacts...

PS: as others have already mentioned, go drive a Hyundai before posting incorrect information.
    Oh yeah, we had a Dodge Caravan too, rear suspension sank in 2 years along with the transmission. My uncle had the Chevy Corsica with the peeling paint job. I remember seeing most of his hood paint gone. If you know GM, you should know about this issue for some of their models.

Don't get me wrong though, although I remember what is wrong with these cars to make a point, they sure do bring back some great childhood memories. That caprice classic on road trips is sweet. Are they the first to come with the fold down 3rd row seats? :)

Are you sure? The HP torque and weight numbers are almost the same on both cars. Anyway if Hyundai ever starts selling the Accent SR there will be no question on that.

Yes, I am sure. My old 2002 Hyundai Accent GL 5spd has about the same hp/torque rating as the Fit but the Hyundai is a lot slower on pickup than the Fit. The Fit really does take off.
    Wow... That is a lot of Buicks! Now I get it. ;)
    My dad liked Olds and Buick. Actually, Olds more, but ~1980 was about the last days of Olds being Olds - and different than Buick.

Me - I loathed how they drove. How they felt. Only my mom's newer LeSabre has a decent suspension and interior, plus enough power. But it's huge. Compared to GM, my first car out of college that I bought (used), was a 1975 Volvo 164E. It was crazy fast, at ~160HP I-6, stickshift, and not quite 3000lbs.

I've had only one Buick since(and that was because my dad gave it to me for free).

GM's real problem is that their cars are good, reliable, but suffer like the Camry is beginning to - it's good, but not special. For $30K, you can get special, or close to it. So why settle for adequate?

I mean - spend $40K for a Caddy or $40K for a Boxter? Lol. That's not *quite* fair, but to many peolpe it is - they want a good car and GM makes the second or third best option for the money.
  • cecirdrcecirdr Member Posts: 9
    I hadn't thought about this car at all. I'm still shopping for a new car based on specs and working up a "gameplan" before I start to test drive cars at dealerships.

Major factors for me in a new car are ability to play mp3s and as quiet a ride as these small cars can provide. The hyundai might be tops in the quietness category. From what I can tell it appears they've gotten their reliability way up. I'm not looking to sell a car in a few years...I'm looking for a long term 10 year car that I can put bunches of miles on.

Is the 2007 accent just the 3 door hatch version of the 2006 sedan. If the features are the same, then I might consider the sedan since they're usually quieter than hatches.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ceci
    There will be a 2007 sedan also, but the main differences from the 2006 seem to be that ABS is no longer standard, but part of the Preferred package (with A/C and power package), and alloys will come now in a Preferred Sport package, meaning you will be able to get an Accent sedan with the power accessories, ABS, A/C, and no alloys if you want to. That isn't possible in the U.S. with the 2006 Accent.

The 3-door, especially the SE, should have much better handling than the sedan due to a sport-tuned suspension and steering, and 16" alloys. But the ride will probably be stiffer too. Also a high-zoot stereo and power moonroof are available options on the SE, but not on the sedan.
    I mean - spend $40K for a Caddy or $40K for a Boxter?

Personally I would go with the Caddy. Caddy just seems to have a more subdued image of more content people. While the Boxter screams middle aged crazy.

"Today he traded his big 98 Oldsmobile
    He got a heck of a deal
    On a new Porsche car"

Plus its so much more fun blowing the doors of a Boxter in my Caddy :blush:

I have a friend who owns a Boxter - and it is a total kick in the rear end to drive. Way better than a Miata.

But it's not terribly practical, to be sure :)

RE: Adding the accent to your list:
    I looked and the best value for the dollar right now seems to be the Accord VP. It has all the stuff the Hyundai has, but at $16K($16,250 will the end of the month) - it's a stunning deal.

P.S. the "deal" over at GM will be in a year and a half, when you can get a $35K Lucerne CXS with the Northstar V8 in it for about 20K. Say what you will about them, but GM are good *used* cars, since they depreciate quickly, yet are mechanically sound - at least as sound as Nissan and Hyundai and Suzuki, and nothing they have for 20K new compares to how the used luxury GM car will drive, even with two years of wear on it.
    If you mean the Accent, the Accord VP is lacking several features of an Accent, plus the Accent is about $2700 less before any discount by the dealer.

Also... this is a discussion about the Fit vs. Accent, not the Accord vs. Accent.