Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• clarksterynclarksteryn Member Posts: 18
    Can you clarify a little and explain what you mean in more detail? :confuse:
  • eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    If mpg is your only criteria for deciding between MT or AT, then it really depends on what type of driving you do the most (hwy or city). Some of the MT owners will probably disagree, but I have been on this forum for nearly 2 years now and from what I had read and from my own experience (I own a 2007 AT sports Fit), AT Fits seems to edge out MT on the mileage for hwy driving, probably due to AT Fits has a higher 5th gear ratio then MT, and especially if you keep the speed under 70 mph (best is about 60 mph). On the other hand, MT beats AT in pure city driving for mileage. I don't use the paddle shifting to try to improve mileage, I only use it for passing on the hwy and slowing when going down a hill by down shifting.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I own 2 Fits and they are great cars EXCEPT the gas mileage isn’t what it should be because Honda built the US version to prioritize power over MPG. It doesn’t look as though they will change this for 09 even with gas prices pushing 3.50. Has anyone been researching new, more efficient hatchbacks that might be coming out in competition to the Fit?
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I am afraid you will not have many to choose from. New hatchbacks are not that plentiful in the U.S. to begin with, and when it comes to one that gets a better mileage than the Fit, I would say the Yaris is about it. But that's a two-door hatch.

What kind of driving do you do? If you drive a lot on the highway, the Civic, for instance, gets an excellent mileage. Unfortunately, you cannot have a Civic in hatchback, unlike in Europe.
    Well I used to have a Toyota Prius, but traded it in 2 years ago for a Fit. The Gas mileage (average 45mpg) of the Prius was greatly offset by its sticker price. The Chevy Volt shows a lot of promise. A different type of hybrid- it will go 50 miles just on electric only before the gas motor kicks in. I travel to Europe and am amazed at the selection of truly efficient, and yet way cool cars that we cannot buy here in the US. I was hoping with the new cafe standards that we would soon see some new models coming out with better MPG's
  • clewis3clewis3 Member Posts: 7
    I am car shopping and the Fit is top on my list. But in reading various forums, I am gathering that real world mpg might be more consistently better with the Yaris. Does anyone have any experience to validate or invalidate that observation?

Specifically, I am talking automatic .... (hip problem is forcing me to switch from a 2000 manual Saturn SL which actually gets darn good mileage... 31-42 mpg depending on conditions).
    While not a direct experience, my observation of anecdotal evidence tells me that it is actually the Yaris that gets a consistently better mileage. Or should I say that the Yaris seems to experince a smaller rate of mileage fluctuations than the Fit. Both vehicles are capable of and have achieved excellent numbers such as over 40 MPG in some circumstances. However, my various readings, including some auto review articles, different internet sites including fueleconomy.gov, lead me to believe that the bottom is less likely to fall off of the Yaris. What I mean is that it appears to be tough to get a low mileage in a Yaris, while with the Fit, especially with an AT, it is not that tough to "ruin" your mileage.

We own a Fit Sport with AT, and have noticed that the mileage can really suffer if you let the VTEC have its own way (fun but you pay for it). Also, the Fit seems to have a relatively narrow sweet spot where you can get an excellent mileage. If you are driving in the zone, however, the Fit can deliver some amazing numbers, and we have certainly had many of those.
  • clewis3clewis3 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, jacksan1, for your clarity in posts (both here and in other threads). Your info really helps both in the overview and the specifics!
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I own 2 Fit Sport automatics; however they are only 3 months and 2 weeks old, so I can't give you any long-term info but I can report some initial gas mileage readings. Both are automatics. The 3-month old Sport has about 3,000 miles on it and is driven by my 20 yr old son, who is quite a leadfoot and does a lot of in-town driving. His fuel economy readings have ranged anywhere from 22-29 MPG, which probably represents the lower end of the scale for real world results. The 2 wk old sport I drive as a commute to from work on a 12 mile 1-way route that is 10 miles highway and 2 miles city. I am a conservative driver and keep up with traffic but also aim to be very smooth/even on both the accelerator and the brake pedal. My first reading after 300 miles was 33.3 mpg, which is just above both the 2008 city (27 MPG) and highway (32 MPG) EPA ratings for the Sport with the automatic (I don't use the shifter paddles on the steering wheel and let the transmission do its own thing). I would expect that the majority of drivers would get real-world fuel economy results somewhere between these 2 examples. The one exception may be a long highway trip using cruise control at about 65 mph an an Interstate that is mostly flat and straight. I haven't tried this yet, but living in Omaha, NE, there will be plenty of opportunities to do so and report the results here afterword.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Oh boy, well let's see, explaining this sort of thing is not my forte: engine vacuum is what you get lots of when you step off the throttle and engine brake. That's good for seating the piston rings. Drive a lot at exactly the same engine speed when the engine is new, and instead of seating well, they can get stuck in one position.

If they are not seated well, oil can leak past them, leading to high engine oil consumption, especially after the engine has a few 10Ks under its belt.

You basically get one shot at really seating the piston rings well. Of course, knowing that people won't even OPEN the owner's manual, much less follow recommended procedures for engine break-in, manufacturers have in recent years begun changing their practices so that less of the break-in falls on the owner's shoulders. From what I hear, some car companies don't have any break-in recommendations any more.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• zrgzrg Member Posts: 2
    So after buying my '08 Fit AT back in December, I've finally had a chance to really drive it yesterday, from LA to SF, keeping in mind to follow the recommendations for the break-in period. Someone mentioned that going over 60 MPH is going against the recommendation, but it doesn't list it in the manual. Is this true?

Anyway, I've read that going uphill is no problem for you guys, but there was this stretch of road on the 5 where I had to go uphill several times, and my MPH dropped quickly from 70 to 55, even though I had the pedal pushed pretty far down. I didn't have the AC on. I was in the middle lane and my face was turning red as cars passed me left and right. Is this supposed to happen? Would using the S mode and downshifting make a difference? I don't know much about manual driving.

Okay, here's the MPG estimate. I drove 266 miles before filling up with 7.0 gallons, so that comes out to be 38 MPG. This was on 98% highway, with some uphills in the beginning of the trip. Luckily it was cloudy and only patches of sunlight shown through every now and then, so I had the AC on at the lowest setting for ~1/3 of the distance. I drove at 80 MPH 50% of the distance, 70-80 30%, and 55-70 the other 20%. There were 2 people in the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Luckily it was cloudy and only patches of sunlight shown through every now and then, so I had the AC on at the lowest setting for ~1/3 of the distance.

AC use is AC use. The compressor will cycle just as much with the fan set on 1 as it will on 4. So, if you want A/C, don't be afraid to really make it blow.
    I bought a new Fit Sport auto trans on 3/10/08 and have driven it just over 500 miles in 1st 3 weeks. Am driving it as a commuter car for work, 12 miles each way, 80% interstate/20% city. Started with a full tank from the dealer and have filled up twice. First MPG reading was 33.3 MPG; 2nd was 31.3 MPG; average of 32.3 MPG. I'm a mid-50s person and pretty conservative when accelerating and also try to minimize hard braking or short stops. This fuel economy seems accepable for a new Honda, and after 5-10K miles may improve. My 20 yr old son also has the exact same car in Blaze Orange, has driven his 3K miles in 3 months, mostly in-town driving, and has a lead foot on the gas pedal and is hard on the brakes. He has been averaging 28-29 MPG, which reflects his driving style. Neither of us have taken an extended highway trip (over 100 miles) but when we do will post the results here.
  • richard613richard613 Member Posts: 10
    "The compressor will cycle just as much with the fan set on 1 as it will on 4"

Are you sure? I'm under the impression that the duty cycle will decrease at low fan speeds since the evaporator coils cannot absorb nearly as much heat energy which in turn allows low-side system pressure to fall faster when the compressor is running.
    In my 2006 Accord, you can feel the compressor kick on just as much with the fan on the lowest setting or with it kicked up to a higher notch. Maybe the Fit is different, but our Odyssey was the same way (A/C ran at one standard interval (say 15 sec on/10 sec off, for example). I know in my 1996 Accord, the A/C feels ice cold with the fan on 1, but kicked up to 4 it doesn't actually feel quite as cold, but sure blows harder and cools the car quicker.

If I'm wrong in my assumption of the Fit, I certainly apoligize.
    There are some inverter-governed smart a/c's out there that can actually adjust the speed of the compressor. With these, it is not just merely on or off, but has a variable freqency drive that can vary the speed of the compressor and thus let the compressor itself work on heat exchange as well as the fan drive. However, this is not common in automotive applications because of the circuitry issue. Cars with automatic climate control may or may not have this.

Don't hesitate to correct me, though, as my knowledge in this area is somewhat moldy.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Our Pilot has auto climate control.

Seems the compressor runs constantly unless "AC OFF" is engaged. In "Auto" mode the temperature seems to be controlled more by adding or not adding hot air to achieve desired temperature.

Kip
  • richard613richard613 Member Posts: 10
    This is one reason why I hate automatic climate control. It's an energy eater.
    Just click it to "A/C Off" and it's no different than any other car with manual A/C turned off. What's the problem there?
    Or just move the temp dial to where the A/C no longer kicks in. Very little effort.
    The A/C constantly cycles on Auto mode, based on previous experience in our Odyssey van, my aunt's Odyssey van, and a 2003 V6 Accord.
    Interesting. My understanding is that some auto. climate systems are smarter than others. Some systems shut the compressor off where it is not needed. Others run the compressors pretty much all the time (thus cool air is always produced), and adjust the air temp by routing it through the coolant as needed. I am not familiar with Honda's climate control system, and from thegraduate's observation, it sounds like Honda auto A/C is in the latter category.
    I think Honda's thought is that when set in auto mode, there's no real chance of fogging, because A/C is constantly piped into the cabin. Other systems, when set on auto, will have to be reset for A/C on to prevent fogging on rainy days, etc.

For people like my aunt, who has an A.C.C. Odyssey EX, the "Set it and Forget it" method of the Honda is best.
  • radiolandogradiolandog Member Posts: 20
    I have just surpassed the 600 mile mark with my 2 week old Honda Fit.
    Guess it's "broken in" now?

I've been taking it real easy on the gas pedal. My 26 mile (one way) commute has been mostly at 60 MPH with cruise control (2200 RPM).

31.870 MPG - 1st fill up.
    31.871 MPG - 2nd fill up.

I suppose that's an upward trend!

Somehow, I was expecting better.

-Marge
    Do you warm up the car at all before setting off on your trip? Do you use the A/C much?

Those numbers aren't good if you are in fact going 60 all the time with very limited city driving/idling. My 2.4L Accord gets 37 MPG at 75 MPH.
    I do not warm up the car - which is a 2008 Honda Fit Sport AT.
    It's too cold for the AC here in Cleveland. (It's too cold for baseball, also - but that doesn't stop them).

I got the Fit for my commute. 2 miles of city driving until the freeway. 25 miles of freeway using (mostly) cruise control as described. Three traffic signals from the exit ramp to my workplace.

I've been driving like a sissy, trying to save gas (and following 'break-in' advice).

Wondering if you see much improvement as it ages... If so, when?
    Any other ideas??

Thanks,
    -Marge
  • anahita61anahita61 Member Posts: 110
    Hey, radiolandog, is your Fit an automatic by any chance? I didn't see where you mentioned the transmission type (sorry, I see now in a later post that you have an AT). I have an '07 Sport Manual I bought a year ago, and I have averaged 36 mpg the whole year. My lowest mileage was 34, highest was close to 38. It definitely varies according to how much I get stuck idling in traffic, but one tank saw me in a horrible traffic jam for one day, and still I got 35 mpg.

Do you carry a lot of weight around in the vehicle? Are the tires properly inflated? There are so many tips for maximizing your mileage, in addition to using cruise and driving under 65. How you drive in traffic is important, whether or not you accelerate up to stops or you coast, for one example. And tire inflation, of course, is important, as is how much weight is in the car.

Good luck to you, and I recommend logging your gas purchases/mileage at fueleconomy.gov. I've logged all of mine there, since purchase of the vehicle. :)
    Winter is a tough time to get a good mileage number, especially if you are in a cold place. Some of the reasons are:

(1) There is more drag because the cold air is denser;
    (2) In some states, they add in ethanol in winter, which hurts the mileage;
    (3) Your car tends to run on the richer side in the fuel/air mix until it warms up, again hurting the milage.

Just because (3) is true, you should not change the habit and spend five minutes warming up the car, since that will hurt the mileage even more. I think that (3) is probably the biggest element here nevertheless.

And of course, your car is rather new, which might be contributing to the lower mileage, although when we first got our Fit Sport, we recorded 39 MPG in the first 500 miles (albeit in November in Minnesota) of mostly freeway driving.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Remember that when averaging out mpg to use time driving not miles driven. In other words if you drive 20 miles freeway and 2 miles city, but spend equal amounts of time for both portions, then your average will be halfway between city and highway. It will not be 90% of your highway number as some people expect

It takes very little city drivng to bring down highway numbers.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I suppose if you're measuring minutes per gallon that would work, but MPG is miles per gallon.
    I have been trying to drive being mindful of improving mileage. Not carrying anything around in it (hey - it's brand new - no time to accumulate any junk in it yet). Slower acceleration and trying to avoid braking. But, I'd say it's been 75% freeway driving (by time) at 60 mpg (or slower) with cruise on as much as possible.

I have an idea that it might be the gasoline - I have been filling up on Wednesdays at a car wash that lowers their price every Wednesday. I changed to name brand gas last fill up and intend to get name brand gas next fill up. I'll have results in the next week or two..

Could the gas I use affect MPG very much? Stay tuned...

Thanks,
    -Marge
    "I suppose if you're measuring minutes per gallon that would work, but MPG is miles per gallon. "

Do the math and you will see what I mean. If time is hard to grasp I will simplify it a little. You have to consider how many gallons you are using at the low mpg portions of your drive vs how many gallons you use during the high mpg portions.

If you drive 20 miles at 40 mpg you use .5 gallons. You then continue on by driving 20 more miles at 10 mpg (this could happen with brutal traffic) which uses 2 gallons.

If you think the way many people do you will say that half my miles are at 40 mpg and half are at 10 mpg so my overall mpg is about the average of the two - 25 mpg.

If you do the actual math the results are quite different. 40 miles divided by 2.5 gallons is only 16 mpg.

The results lean heavily towards the city portion because you spend more gallons (and more time) in the city portion of the drive.

For the true mpg to equal the "intuitive" average you would have to use the same amount of gasoline for both portions of the drive. So 20 miles at 40 mpg = .5 gallons. 5 miles at 10 mpg also = .5 gallons. 25 miles on 1 gallon = 25 miles per gallon.

So you are doing 4 times as much highway as city to get to the point where you can average the two.
    dudleyr, your explanation of the weighted averages by driving segments makes perfect sense. It is a useful illustration to show how much so-called a city driving can weigh down (or, in highway driving, up) the mileage. In actual practice, it is a little hard to use this method, since it assumes that you have a way of knowing what kind of mileage your car gets per driving environment/segment. Nevertheless, your illustration is quite useful to realize that a little bit of a "wrong" segment can significantly adversely impact the mileage you get, in a sneaky manner.

radiolandog, the quality/content of gas can influence your mileage, though it is sometimes hard to tell how significantly. A much easier situation is one in which you use E85 (don't try it on your Fit - it is not compatible), where switching from pure gasoline or even E10 shows a dramatic drop in the gas mileage. Even if the difference is not as clear as E85, there is no doubt at all that the known or unknown content of your fuel can impact how many miles you get out of the same gallon because it is all about how much energy is available to be released. Anecdotally, people have tried successfully to improve their MPG by finding "right" gas stations at which they buy gas. Let us know how it goes after you try a new station.
  • mnapuranmnapuran Member Posts: 4
    I have had an intake and HFP wheels on my Fit since day 2 of ownership. My first tank netted me 30.1 MPG. I have a 5MT, and have not been terrible easy on it. I drive it like I drive. Oh, that's 95% city driving too.

So far on the 2nd tank, I'm averaging about 31.2 MPG according to my ScanGauge II.

Mike's Blog
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If you think the way many people do you will say that half my miles are at 40 mpg and half are at 10 mpg so my overall mpg is about the average of the two - 25 mpg.

You're right in that it's one way to look at it. However, most people (like me) have a commute that's a combination of highway and non-highway, so what I'm calculating is the average MPG of the total trip. It's not like I'm filling up the tank after my city portion and then on my highway portion. So my commute is about 15 miles with about 75% of that (a little over 11 miles) on the highway, and I get about 34mpg plus or minus depending on my speed and weather (winter is worse mpg).

In your example it doesn't have anything to do with time, or how long one is driving in either city or on the highway, but rather that MPG is a miles per gallon and not a gallon per mile calculation. In Europe, they use liters per 100 km driven, so it's easier to do the type of average you're talking about.
    Of course nobody calculates their mpg for diff portions of a trip (unless they have a scanguage). The numbers were used to illustrate the point that a very small amount of poor mpg will bring down yourlarge amount of good mpg.

The large and small amounts can certainly be measured it time as it correlates to the mpg. If you take an hour to drive 1 mile you will get terrible mpg. If you take one minute to go the next mile you will get excellent mpg. You can then wonder why you get terrible mpg overall because half your commute is highway or you can realize that over 95 percent of your commuting time is in the city and understand that you mpg should be terrible.

The reason for using time is precisely because people don't compute their mpg while they drive, they can howerver very easily figure out how much time they spend in city vs highway driving.
  • vbnsmanvbnsman Member Posts: 15
    I think my first tank was about 1 or 2 gal low when I took delivery. I only got 25mpg. I just recorded 29 mpg ( 65% city / 35% freeway) on my second tank. I am fairly pleased because this tank had 3 different drivers: My wife a certifiable lead foot, me a reluctant feather foot and my daughter a newbie (abrupt stops and starts). If I continue to average near 30 mpg or better under these conditions I will be pleased. :)
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    Hello just got 2008 Fit Sport auto trans 2 months ago I drive highway 30 miles each week day plus 4 miles city the first 600 mile on this car I got 17 mpg between 600 & 1800 jumped up to 24 mpg just drove from Champaign Illinois to Cincinnati all highway 70 miles per hour got 28 mpg now 2400 miles getting 27 mpg has any one had the same thing happen do you think my MPG will get up over 30 with more break in mile ????? thank's Thurst1963
    Hello just got 2008 Fit Sport auto trans 2 months ago I drive highway 30 miles each week day plus 4 miles city the first 600 mile on this car I got 17 mpg between 600 & 1800 jumped up to 24 mpg just drove from Champaign Illinois to Cincinnati all highway 70 miles per hour got 28 mpg now 2400 miles getting 27 mpg has any one had the same thing happen does any one have the same car with more miles do you think my MPG will get up over 30 with more break in mile ????? thank's Thurst1963
    If you recall, I previously wrote:

31.870 MPG - 1st fill up.
    31.871 MPG - 2nd fill up.

Well - about that second fill-up....

When I picked up the car, it did not have a full tank. So, prior to the two fillups listed above I had to fill up the tank for the initial time. I could not compute an MPG for that fill up as that was the first time the gas tank was ever full.

When Honda called with a follow-up survey about my new Fit (2008 Sport AT) and I did mention that the gas tank was not full when I picked up the car. The dealer later called me and offered to fill up the tank. I took them up on that offer.

So, my last fill up was by the dealer. I do not know if they stopped at the first click, or not. I did notice that I thought I was getting better mileage by how many miles was registering as the gas gauge went down. THAT got me thinking of whether the brand of gas matters, and where I was buying gas - which was a car wash that discounts their gas each Wednesday.

Since then I have learned about "top tier" gas (http://www.toptiergas.com/), so today I filled up at Shell (the only one in Ohio listed).

Anyways, with this fill up I computed 37.5 MPG.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the dealer topped it off past the first click, but I am hopeful that my mileage is getting into the range that I was anticipating.

My 3 tank avg is 33.7.

Looking better.... No more car wash gas for my Fit.
  • greytailgreytail Member Posts: 17
    I have had my 2008 Honda Fit Sport AT for a week now. I’m very disappointed with the MPG to say the least. My wife and me bought two new Hondas Saturday. Her’s is a 2008 Civic. We had a 145-mile drive home. My daughter drove my Fit and she only got 28.6 MPG. My wife right in behind her driving the same speed got 36.3 in her Civic. We were all driving the same speeds and road. Now I’m a member of the 55 clubs. Fifty-five years old and drive close to 55-mph highway. Anyway I just filled up the Fit with its 3nd at the same pump pumping gas on the low setting and stopping at first kick off. I only got 30.3 mpg. I have babied the Fit not getting it over 60 mpr or tacking over 3 grand. Coasting into red lights and stop signs. I have ran the AC very little maybe 10%, I have driven it 95% free way miles @ 60 mpr and 5% city 40 mpr. I haven’t let it set and idle for any except 60 seconds after starting. Other words I have even tried to cheat for it to get better mpg. Again I’m not one pleased with the mpg at this point. I like the little car but with gas estimated to be $4 a gal. This summer I would have invested in something else even another Civic like my wife’s.
    The best way to squeeze a little more fuel economy out of the Fit is to, as much as possible, run the climate controls with the airflow indicator at the first setting in the left (which is pushing air out the dash vents), instead of the defrost or floor or any other combination. In this mode you can crank the fan speed and the temperature control to any settings you want and the A/C compressor will never come on, which may give you between .5 and 2.0 MPG better fuel economy depending on a number of variable factors. Try it and see. Obviously in very cold weather where you have to use the defroster to clear the windshield and windows, use it - don't sacrifice safety (i.e., hitting something or someone because you can't see where you're going) for fuel economy.
    I was unhappy with my MPG on my Honda Fit Sport AT after a week - and I'd say that my driving styles mimic yours (except that I fill-up maybe once a week) .

Things seem better three weeks into it. Give it some time and maybe feed it top tier gas - http://www.toptiergas.com/
    Hello Greytail well I just when to Indianaplios last night AIRPORT 260 miles all highway 28 mpg my best ever no traffic 65-70 all the way and now have 2700 miles I ONLY buy my gas at Shell & Mobil I hope to get 30mgp on the highway some day I'am glad I'am not a city driver I think I would be uder 20 mpg again I really love the car drove in Brazil 4 years ago way before they got here but if the mpg does not go up my just have to trade for some thing better thank's Thurst1963
  • greytailgreytail Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Radiolandog for the info. When was this site last updated? This should not be the problem with my lower than expected MPG because we filled the Fit up at Chevron.
    I realize my Fit Sport AT isn't broke in yet and may get a little better MPG after break in. But I don't see it getting much better because the way I have been driving it. I really attempted to get the best MPG out of it so I could brag it up to my gas pals that still drive the gas gusllers.
    I guess i will have to hang on to my Fit for a year but after a year if I'm not getting 35+ MPG we will have to part ways. Something this small with the lack of power it has has do to do me more MPG than what I'm reading on this site. i wish I had found this site before I bought the Fit. I knew how the Civics do on MPG and I was told to expect the Fit to do a little better. Hind sight is 20X20 but I sure wish my wife and me had drive home two Civics Saturday
    OH yes and on last year MPG ratings it said the FIT SPORT AUTO would get 38 mpg on the highway the way things are going with my Fit the only way I will get close to even 35 mpg is if I turn it off and push it part of my trip's this is very very sad because I do truly like this car but after almost 3000 mile with no AC on no Paddle shifting and no city or lead footing I hate to think what I will get in summer with the AC on and driving in a city 15 to 17 mpg maybe HUMMMMMMMMMMMM not good think maybe will have to go back to Toyota
  • ferretmanferretman Member Posts: 1
    I've been keeping careful track of my Fit's mileage (actually, all expenses, but that's another topic) since I bought my Blaze Orange Metallic in July, 2007. I've been quite pleased with the numbers.

For 2007 (which recall was only 6 month for the Fit), it averaged 35.75 MPG.

For 2008 (to date), it has averaged 34.42 MPG.

Highway miles are definitely better; I haven't driven a full tank exclusively on the highway but those tanks are always better, around 38 MPG. That's with highway miles totaling about 1/4 of the tank in total. I suspect that a full "highway run" with the entire tank would hit anywhere from 40 - 45 MPG; I should be able to find out for sure later this summer.

In my experience the Fit does not perform as well in colder weather; I've seen a definite drop in the colder months. This doesn't surprise me at all.

I love my Fit!

Ferretman
    HELLO Ferretman don't get me wrong I really do love this car that is why I waited 3 1/2 years for it to come to the USA I just hate the MPG I would be happy as HE double tooth picks if I can make it to 30 mpg any where but the first 700 mile I NEVER got more then 17mpg so I guess 27mpg almost all highway total week day driving 35 miles 32 highway and I do believe no the old 2007 mpg ratings it was some thing like 33-38 my car will never see this and I don't city drive don't play with the paddle shift rpm never over 4 grand this is just not what I was looking for in this small car heck my 6 cylinder Maxima got better then this
  • subiratssubirats Member Posts: 4
    hey folks, I have been driving my Sport Fit AT in Miami, FL (flat land, A/C all the time, stop and go as well as heavy expressway traffic). I have yet to see the glorious 37-40 MPG now for almost 1.5 years of driving long distances as well as commuting to my job 8 miles doorstep to doorstep R/T. I admit that I drive the speed limit-plus in local around town and maybe 80 MPH on the highway (when the law is not around) but usually the speed limit-plus (72-75mph). I get 26 mpg in city and 32 mpg in highway. Check out the fueleconomy.gov website and you will find that this is probably the average mpg for the Fit country wide. Here are the URLs
    link title

and the old and new MPG govt figures side by side for the FIT
    link title

So if you just got a Honda Fit , dont get all uptight with the MPG just be glad because at least you can park anywhere with ease and with space on all sides which can avoid the parking lot dings. I really like my Fit !!! :shades: