Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    that is a great site you put up thank's alot :)
  • radiolandogradiolandog Member Posts: 20
    On the fueleconomy.gov site, when selecting a Fit, it lists three engine and transmission choices:

- 4 cylinder, 1.5 Liter, Automatic 5-spd, Regular Gasoline, CLKUP
    - 4 cylinder, 1.5 Liter, Manual 5-spd, Regular Gasoline
    - 4 cylinder, 1.5 Liter, Automatic (S5), Regular Gasoline, 2MODE CLKUP

Is the latter one the AT Sport, and what is 2MODE CLKUP vs. CLKUP ?

Thanks!
  • rk1992rk1992 Member Posts: 3
    radiolandog,
    I believe you are correct the last one is the AT sport. Here is the key below. There is a link on the bottom of the page that explains the abbreviations.

CLKUP Computer-Controlled Continuously Variable Lockup
    nLKUP User-Selectable Lockup with n (2 Through 9) Lockup Ranges
    nMODE Multimode, User-Selectable Transmission. n = Number of Gear Range (2 Through 9)
  • whosongwhosong Member Posts: 1
    I've put 14,000 miles on my 2007 Fit Sport MT since August and am averaging over 36 mpg communting to work (50/50 split between country and city roads). The worst I've ever done is about 32 and the best is 39. No special gas either...usually Wawa, but sometimes Shell if it's 5-Cent-Off Tuesday.

Got no good answer for the mpg problem you guys are having. Maybe the AT just sucks. Part of why I swore off ever buying another automatic.
  • scarmisscarmis Member Posts: 6
    I have about 42000 miles on my '07 AT Sport. I must say, this is one of the most sensitive cars (gas mileage-wise) I've ever owned. It's awfully easy for me to get 26 - 28 mpg in local town driving, if I drive as I prefer, with hurried stops and starts, etc. If I really nurse the car and drive carefully and mindfully, I can get 32 - 34 mpg in town. Never better than 34 mpg, though. Highway performance is more forgiving - I typically average 39 - 40 mpg, whether I'm driving 65 or 75 mph. Since most of my driving is at freeway speeds, my overall average mpg is 35.3.
  • lewjac3lewjac3 Member Posts: 15
    I have been looking for a gas sipper, even though I have owned Toyota pickups for the past thirty years with incredible positive results, I have decided on the Fit because I like the look verses the yaris, but looking at this post has got me questioning my decision regarding gas mileage!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you want better mileage stick to the stick. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Not always true, especially with higher-speed highway driving. But typically, you are quite right!
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"...but looking at this post has got me questioning my decision regarding gas mileage! "

I agree!

Some Fits are getting remarkable mileage, but others seem really bad. The Fit offers a lot more versatility than the others. But from reading some of these post, it seems that Honda is not anxious about "Fixing" mileage problems, on those that are getting poor mileage. Some Pilot owners are complaining about the same thing.

To upgrade a Yaris to near the same safety as a Fit, the price will be about the same or more. But, the Yaris hatch back is lacking in the versatility of the Fit. Recon it depends on how the car is to be driven and used as to which would be the better buy.

From my viewpoint: IF the Fit and Yaris are both getting the mileage they should, the Fit is probably the better "only" car. Especially with the AT.
    However for a "scoot around" second or 3rd car, where getting from point A to point B at the lowest cost possible is the criteria..The Yaris just might be the better choice. With a car that small, the entry level with hand crank windows are not a problem and the Yaris owners don't seem to be complaining as loudly about mileage. To get a Fit with good mileage seems to be a crap shoot. Those that get good mileage, get really good, but those with poor mileage are stuck with them.

Another option would be a Civic or Corolla.

Kip
  • richard613richard613 Member Posts: 10
    If the engine were running so abnormally that it gets poor gas mileage, there'd be driveability complaints and Check Engine lights -- Which there are not. I'm sorry but I'll chalk it up to the Fit being sensitive to driving technique.
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    Put me down as a believer in the crapshoot theory. My Fit MT has averaged 36 mpg over its first 5,000 miles, and I refuse to change my driving habits to get better mpg. Admittedly I'm not a wild driver, but I do shoot across highways at 80 whenever I can and I don't do weird things when stopping and starting to improve mpg. Occasionally the car has sat and idled for a bit to keep the interior warm while I was waiting for one thing or another. I bought the Fit after reading enough to believe that there was a small chance I'd be unlucky and get one of the ones that's not good on gas. And in fact I test drove one when I was ready to buy that for some reason elusive reason just didn't make me smile, and since it was the only MT at that dealership, I went to another place and paid a couple hundred more for the car I bought.
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    yikes, I'll stick to my matrix. I have the 180 hp 6 spd manual XRS and get around 24 mpg in city only driving. last week I drove one day on the freeway, and got combined city/ fwy of 27 mpg. I drive with my ac on, don't pay attention to idling, stop and go all the to time. and floor it once and a while. I can carry a Fit in the rear cargo area and blow the doors of a one at 1/4 throttle.

these post are not encouraging. :(
    WELL WELL BACK TO THE DEALER AGAIN WITH THIS NOW THEY WANT TO KEEP IT FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS TO CHECK IT OUT HUMMMM I LIVE 15 MILES AWAY NO OTHER CAR & YOU THEY WONT HELP ME WITH THAT AT ALL HUMMM MAYBE THEY WILL FIND SOME THING WRONG THIS TIME BUT I BET NOT THEY WILL JUST SAY TUFF IT IS AVG MPG YES IT IS HALF THE CAR'S GET 38-40 THE OTHER HALF GET 24-27 WHAT A JOKE THEY DON'T FIX IT I'AM SELLING THIS CAR AND ONLY HAD IT 2 MONTHS BACK MAXIMA 6 BANGER WAY MORE ROOM WAY MORE POWER AND I WILL GET 31-33 ON THE HIGHWAY ALL DAY LONG I LOVE THE CAR BUT THE MPG BLOWS I GUESS I GOT ONE FROM THE BAD 50% LOL LOL LIVE AND LEARN
    Pat, I'd like to buy a comma! :)

I understand frustration with the Fit, but a Maxima isn't going to give you 30+ on the highway regularly. An Avalon maybe, but not a Maxima.
    2009 Honda Sport AT

Date Gallons Miles MPG
    26-Mar 6.128 195.3 31.870 car wash
    2-Apr 9.846 313.8 31.871 car wash
    7-Apr 7.615 285.6 37.505 BP
    14-Apr 9.324 333.4 35.757 Shell

total 32.91 1128.1 34.275
    Sorry... This sure looked better before I posted it!

The HTML rendering strips out the duplicate space bars

Date......Gallons.......Miles...........MPG
    26-Mar......6.128.......195.3.........31.870
    2-Apr........9.846........313.8........31.871
    7-Apr........7.615........285.6........37.505
    14-Apr......9.324........333.4........35.757

MPG so far..................34.275
    No, it is not a 2009.

2008 Honda Sport AT

I can't spell, I can't type and I have to use computers all the time...
    For future reference, you can click "edit" to change a post you have made within 30 minutes of the original post time. I have to do it all the time! It'll be next to the "Reply" and "Delete" options, when you are within the time constraints.
    Well first off I only buy Shell & Moblie gas reg unlead 2900 miles now same driving as always but I have 45.7 and marker is just on the bottom of the full line I'am crossing my fingers that now it is moving up again 1st 1000 mile around 18 mpg 2nd 1000 23-24mpg next 900 miles 27-28 keep going baby ;)
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"If the engine were running so abnormally that it gets poor gas mileage, there'd be driveability complaints and Check Engine lights -- "

Not necessarily. Our 03 Pilot started bucking ,shuttering and jumping when the tranny was attempting to shift into overdrive at 50mph. No problem when staying out of the OD Lockup mode at any speed.

Dealer found no error codes so treated it like a Torque converter problem. Honda Tech Support was no help. Finally an experienced service writer remembered a problem they had a couple of years ago when the 03 models were going over the 20K mark. He said he thought the problem was with the EGR (exhaust gas Recirculating valve). Not possible said Honda Tech support. That is an EPA item and would show up on the error listings.

Dealer technician checked the EGR valve to satisfy the service writer. BINGO! The valve failed the test. They replaced it and the problem went away.

Assume for a moment that the sensor that is supposed to tell the computer the engine is warm fails to do so. The engine continues to run rich as though it is still cold. None of the other sensors see a problem because they think they are dealing with a cold engine. Instant and continued poor mileage and No errors!

While I absolutely agree that driver can make a huge difference in MPG, and are probably the #1 reason for poor mileage. Other things can be wrong also.

It is entirely too easy for Mfg to pass the buck as driver error.

I'm seeing problems like these in the Pilot forum. One guy has an Oddessy and a Pilot. The Oddessy consistently delivers 4 MPG better than the Pilot on the same terrain with the same driver and load. Both are 2wd. That is a near 20% difference between the two cars. He says the Pilot averages 19.7 mpg or so on the road at 70 and the Oddessy about 24 mpg at 70.

Others Pilots, myself included, get 24-26 at the same speed. Mine is a 4WD.

Honda seems to be happy if the cars average 15-20 city/Road period, as that is what the EPA sticker says. If the car gets lower than that, they say it is the driver.

Kip
  • lewjac3lewjac3 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone here know if Honda has rectified the problem with the non consistent MPG results for 2009?
    The fact that the 2009 Honda Fit isn't on sale here means that we don't know.
  • anahita61anahita61 Member Posts: 110
    I've had my '07 Sport MT Fit for just over a year, and I just got my best mileage yet and had to share. Based on a chain email I received, which suggested filling up the tank in the morning, and using the slowest auto-fillup setting on the pump handle, I tried just that, and noticed right away that I got more miles from the "past Full" point to the actual "F". Then more for that first half tank, and when I was just about at the "E" and the refuel light came on, and I finally got to a Racetrac gas station ($3.29/gallon), I had driven 353.4 miles - the most miles yet!

Of course this time it wasn't in the morning, but I'm afraid to run out of gas, and never have, so I filled up, but I tried the slow setting again and it cut off at 9.136 gallons, the least gas I've ever put in to fill it up, which seemed odd if I had drained the tank.

I let my fuel purchase record in fueleconomy.gov calculate it for me though, and I got a whopping 38.7 mpg! I'm really excited by this! I even used the a/c a few times during this tank, and drove the highway with the window down a bit. The usual usage: about 40% city, 60% highway - my commute is 25 miles/day round trip on the Interstate, top speed 70 mph. I coast to stops, I drive gently, no jackrabbit starts, and my tires are at about the recommended 32 psi, just inflated a bit more a couple days ago, but not enough to make this much of a difference.

Could it have been as the chain email suggested? The lowest chance for water vapor in the tank? Either way... whoo hoo! :D

***Whoops, edited to note that the chain email is a supposed urban legend and subject of Snopes.com article: Dawn Petrol - regardless, I got my best tank yet, and I'm shocked, and extremely pleased, no matter the reason for it.
  • greytailgreytail Member Posts: 17
    Sounds good but, if you filled up at a different pump the kick of could have been more sensitive and kicked off sooner. Sounds like the possible case since you put less gas in than ever. Keep us posted on your next fill up. :confuse:
  • deem2deem2 Member Posts: 3
    Questions for owners with satisfactory MPG and those with poor MPG (calculated based on actual gas usuage):

On a particular trip:
    Did the calculated MPG based on gas fill-up and the computer calculated MPG on the car are relatively similar (satisfactory MPG or poor MPG)?
    Or
    Did the calculated MPG based on gas fill-up differs significantly from the computer calculated MPG on the car ( poor calculated MPG but the car computer continues to display much better MPG than calculated)?
    well got almost3000 mile now best mpg so far 204 miles 190 highway 14 city 7.1 gal 28.73 mpg still SUXS bet going up when I got the car was hoping 36 or so for all the highway driving I do but I don't think so boy if it was summer and I had the A/C city driving and god forbid use the paddle shifter I think I would be lucky to get 20 mpg Well after the dealer looks at it for the 2nd time KEEPING 3 days if they can't fix it is selling or trade in time
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just hit the 20,000 mile mark on my Sport Auto Fit. The last tank was 32.5mpg with about a 50/50 mix of highway/suburb driving between me and my wife. I haven't taken it on any long highway trips for awhile, but when I did I'd get in the upper 30s mpg, and in general it gets in the low 30s mpg with a lot of suburb errand running. So I'd say I get between 30-40mpg regularly over the past 1 1/2 years of owning it. The best I've seen is 39.5 on pure highway driving about 70mph, and that was loaded down with 3 people in the car and a lot of stuff (I had to use the side-mirrors to see behind me!). The worst mpg I've seen was 29mpg and that was this past winter with my wife doing suburb stop-and-go driving (and she has a heavier foot then me).

I don't know why some folks aren't getting as good as MPG as others, but then in most of these forums you'll have some folks getting really good mpg, some really poor mpg, and most in the middle. And the Fit forum doesn't seem any different in that respect.

One highway tip I have for the auto-sport owners is to use the sport mode on the highway and put it in 5th gear and cruise except on the big hills. If you leave it in Drive in the same highway conditions, the transmission will downshift quite often, but when I use the Sport mode and leave it in 5th it will go up the same hill just fine. So you'll get better MPG that way.
  • robynnerobynne Member Posts: 12
    I've owned my FIT Auto Sport since July 07 and do mostly stop-n-go city driving. My daily commute to work is 2 miles, and I've been tracking my mpg since day one. I average anywhere between 24 - 26.5 mpg. A friend suggested I pump gas very slowly into my tank. I'm on my third tank of doing the gas this way and guess what? My city mpg is now averaging 28.8 - 29.5 mpg. I think this is a rather remarkable improvement and I can live with spending a few more minutes at the pump for this gas mileage. I'm finally happy!
  • cashwellcashwell Member Posts: 2
    Just read a message suggesting to people that they leave their transmission in sport mode while on the highway instead of drive, what is it? How does one find it?
    IF YOU HAVE THE FIT SPORT WITH AUTO TRAN IT HAS SPORT MODE LAST ON THE STIFTER SELECTOR THEN YOU USE THE PADDLE SHIFTERS ON THE WHEEL
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Pumping gas slowing in the tank may get you more gallons in the tank, but won't affect your mpg.
    ALL I'AM SAYING IS ON JUST HIGHWAY DRIVING AT 70 MILES PER I WOULD LIKE TO GET AT LEAST 30 MPG 1 TIME
    Can we get a message without CAPS LOCK? It is "yelling" as it was explained to me; it is also harder to read. I never knew until I was told, and now I find it harder to read when its in all CAPS! :) :shades:
  • skippympgskippympg Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 08 Fit Sport w/AT

On my second tank of gas I got 26.5 MPG

Third tank I got 27.25 MPG

Can I expect it to continue to go up?
    I was 900 mile in on my 2008 sport fit auto before I got 20mpg and that is with driving 90 + % highway good luck oh yes one other thing I have 29xx now got my best ever 27.733 mpg on 204 mile 190 miles of it highway so it looks like you may be in the 50% that gets great mpg and not the 50% I'am in keep me posted on where your mpg goes from here have a great week end Thurst
    Well I stopped and got gas because it was on sell at Shell for $3.26 so I topped the tank off wouldn't you know it car is going back to the dealer Monday (2nd time ) about the very low MPG I have been getting Ok topped off got 2.23 gal and 75.3 miles 33.7668 miles per WOW I mean WOW 71 highway miles 4 city the best I have ever got before this was open highway from Champaign Illinois to Cincinnati OH 27.33 I just can't figure out but I did drive it on the highway the 71 miles in Sport Mode like some one said NICE I really hope this keeps up I can live with the 33-34 mpg on the highway
  • hara78hara78 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm new here and I'd love to know what you think of 30.5 MPG on a Fit Base Manual on the first 300 miles...is that any good? :)
    I can live with the 34 mpg that I've been getting, also. I bought the Fit (2008 Sport AT) primarily for the fuel economy - but there were secondary considerations, as well. I like the 4 doors for family outings and I like its cargo capabilities. So, I'm pretty happy with the Fit.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't get too excited about the stats from your 2 gallon top-off. There is too much a margin of error there for it to be very meaningful.

When I say 34 mpg - that's over 4 tankfuls. (32.9 gallons yielding 1128 miles) You really have to look at your mileage and fuel consumption over several tankfuls as you will have a variance in how full your gas tank is from each fill-up.
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    I too wrote in to this message board when my Fit Sport MT was new back in September '07 and I was getting disappointing mileage at around 26-27 mpg combined. I'm happy to report that my last tank nearly hit 33 mpg, with 7000 miles on the odo. When I mentioned low mileage during my Schedule A maintenance visit, the service manager basically stone walled me by saying there's nothing that can be done, but that mileage usually does improve after the car is fully broken in. I guess that's happened, and I'm satisfied now. So to all brand new Fit owners out there not getting the expected Fit mileage: hang tight and things may very likely improve!
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    Based on the first three fuelings, this is what we have averaged. Total miles driven 765, and 20.6 gallons US used. Mileage = 37.14 mpg. This has been with about 65:35 highway:city driving. The best single tank was 302 miles driven on 7.668 gallons for 39.34 mpg, the majority highway driving. So, I have been most pleased with the economy of the Fit.
  • pfleggspfleggs Member Posts: 6
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This thread thread always draws me like iron to a magnet. I am floored by the reports of a Fit consistently getting mileage in the teens and low twenties.

I have a blue (no known affect on mileage) 2007 Sport AT5. I use the paddles to engine break on hills and to downshift instead of mashing the gas pedal. I'm relatively easy on the car while driving and have never fire walled the throttle. Winter gas mileage was consistently 29 MPG. Now that it is warming up, my mileage has increased to 31-32 MPG. Mileage last summer was about 32-34 (85% highway) even with the AC running.

Best mileage was 41 MPG on a round robin to Columbus OH.

Use the 2008 EPA ratings. There was a reason for the revision and as you can see the mileage is pretty much in line with normal driving habits.

Anyways, an IKEA store opened up in West Chester and I now have the perfect car to shop there.
    yes I know Radiolandog
    but I'am hoping it is a sign of things to come most the time run it down to a 1/4 tank
    so if you go by what I got over the last 4 tank running about 28mpg flat with 85-90% highway
    The margin for error grows ever-higher the less you drive between fillups. You should use at least half a tank before attempting to compute accurate mileage. The problem lies with the "click" at pumps. Let me explain...

If you fill up at a pump that clicks 0.3 gallons different from the last :

80 miles at 2 gallons = 40 MPG
    80 miles at 2.3 gallons = 34.79 MPG

A 5.2 MPG discrepancy in your accuracy.

320 miles at 8 gallons = 40 MPG
    320 miles at 8.3 gallons = 38.56 MPG

A 1.4 MPG discrepancy in your accuracy.

Just something I thought I'd share. You're results will be more consistently accurate if you use more fuel between fillups; preferably filling at the same pump.
  • greytailgreytail Member Posts: 17
    What kind of gas are you using in your fit? I saw some where it can really make a difference in MPG on the new Honda. I think someone post it before but i can find it..
    I use 89 oc Shell or MOBLIE that is it I dopped it at the dealer this morning they are going to look at it and drive it around again for 2 or 3 days I tlod them that I used the sport mode for the first time out on the highway the last 4 days and MPG jumped up to my best ever ( ONLY a 140miles but still ) all highway 32.73 if stayed there I would be cool but very short run lets see what happens but it is going up and up 17mpg 1st 800 miles 23 next 800 miles 27 the next 800 miles but when I told the service lady this morning that I got the 32.73 in sport mode she did say that that was strange got the idea from some on this site keeping my fingers crossed
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    Last tank on my Fit Sport AT was 38.8mpg driving mostly highway. The key is to keep your speed under 70mph.
    So you think if I drive like 60 or 65 I will get better then 27mpg
    What speeds got you 27?